[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Aaqib Javed appointed as Fast Bowling Coach of Sri Lanka

Your predictions for Aaqib Javed's tenure as fast-bowling coach for Sri Lanka

• Total voters

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Sri Lanka Cricket wishes to announce the appointment of former Pakistan pace bowler Aaqib Javed as the national team’s ‘fast bowling coach.’

He will work with the national team until the completion of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, which is scheduled to be held in the West Indies and USA during June 2024.

Javed, apart from a successful international career where he played 163 ODIs and 22 test matches for Pakistan, captured a tally of 236 international wickets. A member of Pakistan’s 1992 World Cup-winning team, Javed has worked for several national teams in different coaching capacities.

Among those stints are working as the bowling coach of the Pakistan national team, serving as the coach of the UAE national team, and also working with the Afghanistan national team in a development role.

During his tenure as coach, the UAE National Team has obtained ODI and T20I status, made the ICC Men’s 50 Over World Cup in 2015, and also featured in the qualifiers for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup in 2014.

The former Pakistan pace bowler also coached the Pakistan U19 team to a World Cup win back in 2004 and served as the bowling coach when Pakistan won the 2009 T20 World Cup in England.

Currently, he is serving as the Director of Cricket Operations and Head Coach of the Lahore Qalandars of the Pakistan Premier League.

We warmly welcome Aaqib and believe that his immense international experience, both in playing and coaching, will help our bowlers come into good shape ahead of the upcoming major international competitions, such as the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup,” added Mr. Ashley De Silva, CEO, Sri Lanka Cricket.

Aaqib’s role with Sri Lanka Cricket will resume, with immediate effect.

SOURCE: https://srilankacricket.lk/2024/03/...d-as-fast-bowling-coach-of-the-national-team/

So Pakistan looking for all sorts of foreign coaches and Aaqib gets hired by Sri Lanka!?

Good luck to him.

Wonder if his days at LQ are over now?

Why would Sri lanka appoint him? Based of what? I thought their looking to improve their team?

Yes ik LQ isn't entirely his fault but he isn't the best coach for the job considering how down under the Sri lankan team is

Sri Lanka will get solid theory, may not get much in practice though.

And for once in his life. Aqib will have to do honest work....

That's a relief, when I saw the first half of the title, I feared he was being appointed as Pakistan's bowling coach.

Silverwood himself is a very good bowling coach. Don't know what made them appoint Aqib.

How long after his stint his over that Aaqib starts berating Sri Lankan cricketers the same way he berates Pakistani cricketers?

I am not sure how long he is going to last as their coach. Not seeing him going beyond the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024.

Sri Lanka will get solid theory, may not get much in practice though.

And for once in his life. Aqib will have to do honest work....
Aqib was part of the Pakistan coaching staff around 2010 too

I vividly remember him giving throw downs to Mohammad Yousuf at Oval nets. He was giving him batting tips too and Yousuf was actually paying attention. This is no joke. The guy puts in the hard yards for whoever that hires him

I think Lahore should be getting rid of him and Sri Lanka will be in tears soon if Aaqib did the same thing that he did with Lahore Qalandars this season.

Last edited:
Their bowling is awful and they need someone competent , not Aaqib.

Actually , they need structural reforms in domestic cricket but the appointment of Aqib won't help at all.

Good to see a Pakistani being hired for this job. Hopefully Aaqib takes it seriously and makes us all proud

I hope Aaqib does well. I remember for a long time he was blamed by many for ruining players like Anwar Ali but his career has taken an upwards turn after the PSL. His motormouth tendencies were consistent all the time though

It's nice to see a Pakistani player pick up an overseas coaching gig so I hope he is successful.

Aqib was part of the Pakistan coaching staff around 2010 too

I vividly remember him giving throw downs to Mohammad Yousuf at Oval nets. He was giving him batting tips too and Yousuf was actually paying attention. This is no joke. The guy puts in the hard yards for whoever that hires him
He was coach from end of 2009 till english tour on 2010. You should hear his testioy about sydney test where he threw everyone under the bus. Point is guy is not ver stable mentally. I don't know how LQ has put up with him for so long, but then again LQ isn't a normal franchise either.

I don't know on which portfolio they have hired him as a coach as they can see his performance with Lahore Qalandars which is pathetic, he only knows how to criticise other nothing more than that!

With the SLC squad in USA

jdJs9CC.png

Last edited:
First of all Srilankan team nay ghabrana nahi hai

And the second thing is get ready to be thrashed in every other game of the World Cup now. :hasan2

Aqib Javed - (Sri Lanka Fast Bowling Coach) pre-match Press Conference - 10th June 2024

[Reporter:]

I'm sure you would have seen this morning's game and if anything, that's probably helped you a little bit just for sort of South Africa to race away and Bangladesh is still just a game in front. What do you think the mood is like in your camp after watching that game and knowing that destiny to this point is still in your hands. You have control in making the next round of the tournament.

[Aqib Javed:]

I mean, look, now people are realizing that how unpredictable the pitches are. We were the first one who'd gone through this process. Because I mean, look, as a player, you cannot expect anything like that, which we played the first time in New York on a new pitch. Now the people are realizing what total to place and what they're expecting when they're choosing - even a small total. Even though the Dallas pitch we played was I think one of the best in the country to bat on, but still these new conditions are surprising not to just us but many teams. You are right, after today's match, The batters especially, they've gone through a lot. This is not the normal behaviour of the pitches and the conditions. So, I think now the teams will change their strategies, and there will be a little bit change in the homework as well.

Speaking of that strategy, you come here, it's the first match of the tournament in Florida, what do you expect from here and your opposition in Nepal who are challenging every single time they go out and play?

I mean the beauty of this World Cup is that you cannot take easy to anything. We have seen some outstanding results from the associate teams. I think honestly if you look at the pitch, you have to be very careful especially as batter what to adopt, what to leave out and I think the best plan is to go out there and assess the situation and the conditions are the key.

Boys are coming after two defeats. So how is the group mentality?

I mean, look, as team, when you see after two games, if you ask me, what happened in New York, nobody knew what's going to be the wicket behaviour. 77 was never enough. Even in the second game, we could have scored 150 to 160 because if you look at the batting card, we scored like 114 and the last six overs, we didn't capitalize like we should be. But otherwise, the way the captain and the team fought in the fielding and in the bowling, I think the morale is there, the spirit is there. It's just one missed opportunity. Otherwise, if you want to judge anyone, how they feel, just see them how they bowl and how they field.

Do you have any idea about the competition tomorrow How is the five bowlers or four bowlers are going to play?

Look, I'm the believer of going for the best. And I'm really happy and enjoying the role as a bowling coach because this is one of the bowling sides which can challenge anyone. Ideal combo for any international team. You got the best leggie in the world, you got mystery baller, and you got slingers which is very unique and very effective in T20 cricket.

Nepal and Sri Lanka are meeting for the first time at this level. So what preparations are there because after the results in the last two matches, the pressure would be on Sri Lanka more than Nepal. Do you agree with this?

When you are playing any international game, there is always pressure. But now the players and the batters and bowlers, they know that on these pitches you don't need to try much. Just play the basic, basic game. Best plan to bowl on this pitch, they just hit the deck hard. That's it. No experiments. So basic areas to hit as bowler and you need to bring lot of patience during the batting time.

Coach, in the previous match against Bangladesh, Nuwan really brought you back into the match despite that low total and if you look at Nepal's history, they struggle facing such pace bowling attack that you possess. Do you think that will be the turning point that will be an important part of the game tomorrow?

Definitely, Nuwan done really good. I mean, look, when you have a small total, then somebody has to come up and bring something like Nuwan brought the other day. Really proud of his performance. And definitely why we ranked the team, because of their skills and talent. And this is how the Sri Lankan bowling attack is known of their natural talent and the ability to do what other teams; many teams doesn't have the kind of talent they have. So, I think - you can't say anything in cricket but see Sri Lankan bowling is quite difficult to handle.

If you look at group cricket, both teams have faced each other quite a while and there have been close matches and tomorrow both are without a win in this World Cup. Do you think both teams will start at the same point or do you think Sri Lanka is a bit ahead of Nepal?

I mean look you can't say anything on these conditions, you can't take anything easy, the team which keeps the discipline on and play their A game, that is important and we hope for the best and the best team should win. Whoever plays the better cricket.

As you already faced Nepal as a UAE coach before many times, so how did you see the prospect of Nepal?

Look, the first time I went to Nepal with the UAE team, I was surprised, taken aback. The passion of the game in Nepal is amazing. We went to the stadium and it was packed. And there was like a few thousand outside the ground. So, I think once you have a passion, then you are not far away from the glory. I think good to see Nepal coming up and qualifying for the T20 World Cup. And it's a growing nation, the cricket is expanding and good to see Nepal in this tournament.

How satisfied are you with the bowling attack in Sri Lanka?

I think it's pretty good. It's not easy all the time to defend the low totals, but so far, I think it's good to see the captain leading from the front and you can see that energy in the field as well. And still, I think we have very good bowling options. I'm really satisfied so far.

Youngest player to take an ODI hat-trick. Best ODI figures of 7/37 at the time. 1992 Cricket World Cup winner. 236 wickets in 185 international matches. Former Pakistan men's bowling coach. Happy birthday Aaqib Javed

SL bowling attack has up their game under Aaqib. I have been saying this for a while now, if there is a half decent mastermind in Pakistan right now, it is Aaqib Javed. Such a shame we don’t benefit from him.

This is getting Interesting as SriLankan bowling doesn't seem to be disintegrating under Aaqib...Can we all be wrong? Or should we say time will tell?

This is getting Interesting as SriLankan bowling doesn't seem to be disintegrating under Aaqib...Can we all be wrong? Or should we say time will tell?
Wrong about what? Who is “all”? Aqib is a 2 time PSL champion and 1 time PSL runner up. What does it mean that the majority is ‘right’ about him?

Wrong about what? Who is “all”? Aqib is a 2 time PSL champion and 1 time PSL runner up. What does it mean that the majority is ‘right’ about him?
Was a pretty good bowler and WC winner in his own right.

Sri Lanka bowling has done well so far. Although, not much time has passed but still, they are doing well.

Is Aaqab javed mastermind of Sri Lanka's ODI series success against India?

Aqib should get Vandersay as Rashid Khan’s replacement at LQ. Don’t think LQ will have Rashid available much going forward

Things are working well for Aaqib Javed as the bowling coach of Sri Lanka as we can see a significant change in the approach of Sri Lankan cricket.

All 10 English wickets fell to pace. Surely some credit has to go to Aaqib Javed.

Is Aaqib Javed the game changer for Sri Lanka bearing in mind their brilliant recent performances against India and England

I may have been wrong about Aaqib Javed, I am willing to accept the possibility.

If we can blame him for the downfall of Lahore Qalandars then we can give him credit for the exploits of Sri Lanka.

Does this mean he is moving on from Lahore Qalandar's? Who is running LQ's affairs while he is busy coaching Sri Lanka? He was LQ's Director of Cricket operations which is a 24/7/365 job?

I may have been wrong about Aaqib Javed, I am willing to accept the possibility.

If we can blame him for the downfall of Lahore Qalandars then we can give him credit for the exploits of Sri Lanka.
As a person, I still have a very low opinion of him. But there's no denying he was a very good fast-bowler who likely has some wisdom to impart when he's being paid sufficiently for it.

Did Aaqib bowl?

Point is you can have the best strategy but if the bowlers are clueless then nothing will work
I don't think anyone is denying that. But the fast-bowling coach of a team does deserve some credit when a pace attack executes the bowling plans effectively.

Back