[VIDEOS] The Simon "shoot from the hips" Doull TV Commentary thread

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
So Doull has been making a lot of waves recently - especially during PSL 8.

This thread is to record/discuss his comments.

==

Simon Doull came up with a seething one during the live match. on Day 3, during Pakistan's first innings (vs NZ), Doull was talking about how pitches in domestic cricket are spicier in Pakistan compared to the ones produced for international cricket while saying, "Where does that directive [for the nature of pitches] come from? Does that come from Babar, who wants to bat on a road and improve his own stats or does it come from [the people] above him?"

==

Talked about retiring batters who were scoring at slow rates

==

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="fzHsefF"><a href="https://imgur.com/fzHsefF">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

When Babar was on 99 off 58 and defended the first ball of a Naseem Shah over for a dot, Doull questioned whether Babar was only looking for a century, “rather than putting the team first”.

“The last little while, that’s all that has been happening rather than looking for boundaries still, when you’ve got so much firepower to come [Mohammad Haris, Haseebullah Khan and all-rounder Aamer Jamal were to follow].

“Hundreds are great, stats are brilliant, but it still must be team first.”

==

Simon Doull (vs KK), commentating on the game, suggested Rizwan cut his innings short for the good of the team. “I hate to say it, but he’s just got to get off,” he said. “He’s striking at 109, you’ve got enormous power to come, just leave the field, chief. You are the skipper, do the right thing by your team. You can’t run the twos quickly. You’re not helping your mate at the other end. I’d say just go off, get treatment, you’ve done your job.”

Last edited:
And now this - which in theory could land him in trouble

Doull was heard on air commenting on Hassan Ali’s wife, as she was shown on TV celebrating the win.

"She has won it. She has won a few hearts as well I believe. That is superb, absolutely stunning. And the victory," Doull was heard saying.

His fellow commentator could be heard laughing at his comment in the background.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="CAtDMUd"><a href="https://imgur.com/CAtDMUd">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
Let’s lynch the person who isn’t afraid to call out Babar and Rizwan

Nothing new

A lot of sports reporters and ex players have been lobbying with the PCB to reign Doul in. There is no way he would make these comments in India knowing full well the BCCI will not waste a second to send him back home.

Doull was heard on air commenting on Hassan Ali’s wife, as she was shown on TV celebrating the win.

"She has won it. She has won a few hearts as well I believe. That is superb, absolutely stunning. And the victory," Doull was heard saying.

His fellow commentator could be heard laughing at his comment in the background.

If Doull gets in trouble for this, so should Danny Morrison for picking up Erin Holland and today doing his fake proposal on one knee whilst checking for dew

He's had his say on MS tactics during the powerplay earlier in the tournament "Qalandars don't give runs away easily at the back end of the innings. You have to make the most of the powerplay against them and that wasn't done. Multan were pedestrian in the powerplay"

He's also criticised over rates at the PSL "One hour and thirty five minutes to bowl 16 overs is ludicrous"

It’s good we have a commentator not afraid to speak his mind. He probably knows full well he’s going to ruffle a lot of feathers, but some of his comments are comments fans need to hear.

Especially if there’s new fans of the sport. They need to hear valid criticisms rather than just lauding and applauding of players left and right.

Line has to be drawn at the Hasan Ali comment however. He needs to respect the cultural norm of the country he’s in. In his mind It’s normal in the west for other men to go “wow your wife is stunning”, but not in the subcontinent, at least in Muslim countries.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="CAtDMUd"><a href="https://imgur.com/CAtDMUd">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I dont think that was hasans wife.

As much as I agree with Doull in this scenario (about blocking the ball on 99) he shouldn’t have said that on air. insinuating that a player that too a top player of Babar’s stature is selfish on national tv is wrong. Is he right or wrong is a different debate but this is cheap sensationalism. I didn’t expect this from Simon Doull who comes across as a reasonable guy.

Last edited:
Regardless, this sort of comment is not done on Pak TV in our society

I take the comment on the young lady as something to refrain from.

However, he hasn’t said anything else that’s at all offensive.

It’s one of the reasons I hate to watch India’s bilateral matches. It’s because you don’t get commentary but rather cheerleading.

I have so issue with objective and constructive criticism.

Doull hasn’t said anything that’s not relevant. To rein him in would actively detract from the product!!

Regardless, this sort of comment is not done on Pak TV in our society

In the early 90’s random sharjah games, I remember this British commentator who used to always talk about women’s earrings :) Henry Blofield I think was his name.

Let's not forget this classic from 2016 :shezzy2

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/orZNF8C" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/orZNF8C"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As much as I agree with Doull in this scenario (about blocking the ball on 99) he shouldn’t have said that on air. insinuating that a player that too a top player of Babar’s stature is selfish on national tv is wrong. Is he right or wrong is a different debate but this is cheap sensationalism. I didn’t expect this from Simon Doull who comes across as a reasonable guy.

Well not all commentators are sycophants like Shastri and Bhogle. These guys know that Dhoni sucked for the last 6 yrs of his career and Kohli has been struggling for a while now. Yet they say that these guys are still in their prime.

At least Doull calls a spade a spade.

Well not all commentators are sycophants like Shastri and Bhogle. These guys know that Dhoni sucked for the last 6 yrs of his career and Kohli has been struggling for a while now. Yet they say that these guys are still in their prime.

At least Doull calls a spade a spade.

Well Doull didn’t say Dhoni was over the hill ever did he? All I heard was great finisher etc.

I sound like Bhaag Veeru Bhaag here :)) but this scenario I would feel aggrieved. You can’t call the biggest name in Pakistan cricket selfish while sitting in Pakistan. You can analyze the game and criticize him but he was clearly going for the new buzzword “selfish” which is being used on SM for Babar even among some Pakistanis. Not talking about PP posters but from verified and some what popular Pakistan cricket analysts.

Will Doull dare to be this blunt about Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli while commentating in India under BCCI's platform?

No way, he will be sent home immediately and he knows it.

Doull knows PCB will say nothing to him.

Spot analysis from Simon.

He’s the same guy who said it’s not the fab 4 it’s the Fab 1 that’s baber azam live on Sky Sports. Noticed Pak fans didn’t complain then but now he’s speaking his mind it’s all wrong.

All the commies were laughing at the cameraman who kept going back to this lady’s photo see no issue with what he said it’s banter with a laugh.

If the Pak supporters are getting upset call back Aamir Sohail & Muddassar Nazar to put you to sleep with the most boring commentary ever.

He is a very weird commentator. Pakistani fans base their opinion on what a commentator says and with the way he has been going after babar rizwan and shan is just ridiculous. Two of those guys won icc awards, one of thrm has won iccs top award which is cricketer of the year.

Guy needs to calm down a bit. This isnt nz, this is south asia where fans are ready to fgo after players and media influence selection.

Simon doull clearly has no idea where he is commentating.

If any of the commentators have an issue with his opinion, Challenge him on his platform

Tell us why he is wrong

Will Doull dare to be this blunt about Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli while commentating in India under BCCI's platform?

Bro,

I don’t see the commentators lack of freedom in India as a positive. What Doull is saying, is raising questions. We can agree or disagree with his point of view, but if anything it encourages healthy debate. Thus, PSL is in conversation that only adds to the visibility of the product.

and thats a good thing, we are getting real commentary not censored boring stuff which Bcci goons usually do.

Imagine he is sacked for being honest

He will absolutely tarnish your name all around the world, especially during the IPL. Remove him for a justified reason and not for being honest.

Imagine he is sacked for being honest

He will absolutely tarnish your name all around the world, especially during the IPL. Remove him for a justified reason and not for being honest.

Yes and when he says nothing about Pakistan players being excluded from IPL, or speaks well of IPL then we will know where he actually stands.

Yes and when he says nothing about Pakistan players being excluded from IPL, or speaks well of IPL then we will know where he actually stands.

Do Pakistani commentators say anything about being excluded from the IPL?

Like Rana once said, your opinions change like the wind. It's so bipolar, I just don't get it. Are you a parody by any chance?

A few days ago you were praising Doull for calling out Babar and were clearly in agreement with him. Now all of a sudden you've changed your tune.

You've also done with other players and coaches as well. A notable example over the years of PP is Misbah.

The more I read of your posts, for some reason the more you contradict yourself.

Love this guy.

I know he doesnt speak the language of the softies

Like Rana once said, your opinions change like the wind. It's so bipolar, I just don't get it. Are you a parody by any chance?

A few days ago you were praising Doull for calling out Babar and were clearly in agreement with him. Now all of a sudden you've changed your tune.

You've also done with other players and coaches as well. A notable example over the years of PP is Misbah.

The more I read of your posts, for some reason the more you contradict yourself.

His opinions are like Shadab Khan’s batting at number 4. Never know what to expect from him

I am just highlighting double standards and the sycophant nature of Pakistani's in general.

Just look at how the likes of Gavaskar, Shastri, Karthik have stood up to the Australian commentators like Hayden, Mark Waugh in the Aus Indian series every time they have made critical comments against Indian players or India.

In contrast our commentators like Waqar, Bazid shamelessly laugh, joke around every time Simon Doul criticizes Rizwan, Babar,

Zero self respect Pakistani's have

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just highlighting double standards and the sycophant nature of Pakistani's in general.

Just look at how the likes of Gavaskar, Shastri, Karthik have stood up to the Australian commentators like Hayden, Mark Waugh in the Aus Indian series every time they have made critical comments against Indian players or India.

In contrast our commentators like Waqar, Bazid shamelessly laugh, joke around every time Simon Doul criticizes Rizwan, Babar,

If they don’t agree with him or are offended by him, why not become a people’s champion by challenging him on commentary?

Or maybe it’s because they actually do agree with him?

Former New Zealand cricketer turned commentator, Simon Doull, on Thursday, reacted to a troll who abused him on Instagram for criticising Babar Azam, during his commentary stint in the match between Peshawar Zalmi and Quetta Gladiators.

The commentator posted a picture of the abusive language used by the troll and said that getting verbally abused for simply giving opinions is not appropriate.

“So sorry to have upset you Feroz. It’s just an opinion and I get paid for it. It’s ok if you don’t agree but this language is never ok. And my mother has also passed,” Doull commented on Instagram.

Thread is about Doull and not Savak - move on.

Not a single word from Doull today for Billings to strategically retire. He was 26 off 20 balls. That's a run-rate of 7.8 in an innings where the run-rate was over 11.

I have no problems with Doull asking for players to strategically retire, but then you have to be consistent. You can't criticize Shan for playing at 160 SR and asking him to strategically retire but keep quiet at Billings pathetic innings today.

Also, there is no doubt that Simon Doull will never call out this retirement thing in the IPL for an Indian player. I can understand why. So I won't hold that accountable to him.

But in the PSL at least, he needs to be consistent in his views.

Not a single word from Doull today for Billings to strategically retire. He was 26 off 20 balls. That's a run-rate of 7.8 in an innings where the run-rate was over 11.

I have no problems with Doull asking for players to strategically retire, but then you have to be consistent. You can't criticize Shan for playing at 160 SR and asking him to strategically retire but keep quiet at Billings pathetic innings today.

Also, there is no doubt that Simon Doull will never call out this retirement thing in the IPL for an Indian player. I can understand why. So I won't hold that accountable to him.

He is there to sensationalize - for all you know, that's what he is being to paid to say and make things "interesting"

I don't think he has said too much wrong and there certainly is a following for his views on Rizwan and Babar.

We may not agree with him but his job it so give his opinion on the game.

Also, a guy like him needs to keep himself in the shop window and generate views and clicks.

That's just the nature of modern media.

I think his views are fair and consistent

There are two types of Batsmen in T20,

1. Those who have a reputation of being aggressive, selfless.

2. Those who have a reputation of being selfish, risk free.

The reason why he didn’t tear into Billings for his lull, and also Fakhar for that matter who also was going at run a ball in that period is because he and everyone could clearly see that both Billings and Fakhar were looking to hit every ball for a boundary but couldn’t do so because Islamabad were actually bowling very well at the time. 2 or 3 times in that period the IU bowlers missed their mark and were sent out of the park by both Fakhar and Billings

The reason why Shan got the infamous ‘strategic retirement’ verdict is because Doull, like everyone in the world knows that Shan even if he tries his level best is incapable of inflicting that kind of damage as compared to the behemoth T20 players in the dug out waiting for him to get out. This is statistically proven. Shan has 1 six in the 200+ balls he has faced in the tournament. Billings on the other hand doesn’t, he has hit sixes in his role and continues to look to hit sixes.

Also, nobody batted an eyelid when Hales played up until the 7th-8th over with a sr of 110 because everyone knows that Hales isn’t ever looking to anchor or play for a 50, and he is genuinely struggling.

My earliest memory of Simon Doull criticising Pakistan players was when he called out Ahmed Shehzad for trying to resemble Kohli's looks. Back then a number of Pakistan fans got offended and thought he had an agenda against Pakistan cricket. However this clearly isn't the case.

He's also been critical of Babar and Rizwan. The former has been ruthlessly exposed by Simon Doull in relation to his intent during the powerplay overs and for slowing down when nearing a milestone. Also, he wasn't impressed with the state of the Pakistan wickets during the test season and had hinted that Babar was behind the placid nature of those pitches. There's no doubt that the Pakistan captain instructed for these wickets to be laid out in order to favour run scoring so he could pad up his stats.

The reason why Simon doesn't hold back is because he has genuine concerns about the way Babar and Rizwan operate. He's not just here to collect his pay check and massage the egos of everyone involved in the tournament.

A certain section of Pakistan fans are just easily offended. I could understand if Babar and Rizwan were ATG material in T20 cricket. But the fact of the matter is they're not good enough with the bat to be playing for Pakistan in the shortest format of the game.

So get over yourselves, stop clutching at straws and enough of this dumb agenda you guys have against Doull because of how you view your precious RizBar duo as the golden boys of Pakistan cricket.

Last edited:

Dude, Simon Doull doesn't have an agenda against Pakistan cricket. Stop getting offended because facts don't care about feelings.

Simon Doul can't be taken seriously if he lacks the balls to call out Virat Kohli's form in the last 3-4 years especially in test cricket.

I don't always agree with everything he says, but credit to him for saying it as he sees it.

For example over-rates at the PSL, he was the only commentator to speak up about it, whilst the Pakistani commentators didn't have the guts to even mention it and just giggled when the subject was mentioned.

I feel that he gives praise and criticism when it's deserved and doesn't care about the reputation of the player.

Last edited:
I like his strong opinions He isnt like the rest who dont critique the play or the players but are just there to go through the motions and collect a pay check

Hes right to question certain aspects if they arent in the interests of the team

I hope tho he stays consistent which i dont think he does when commentating in the IPL

Why didn't he call out Billings was he not on commentary

Read above. There was nothing to call out. Nobody would call out Tim David either if he is struggling to get his bat under the ball during a rough patch in the middle

It's nothing personal. Doull has been critical of NZC, the players and selectors before.

I like that he isn't afraid to say what he thinks and call it how it is.

Need more commentators like him who can actually add to the viewing rather than OTT commentators who cheerlead every boundary or six and add very little input to the viewing experience.

Last edited:
Simon Doul can't be taken seriously if he lacks the balls to call out Virat Kohli's form in the last 3-4 years especially in test cricket.

Also, you're completely wrong about his views on Kohli.

He didn't hold back on him either:

"They know how big this is, how big that wicket is. Virat knows how many innings it has been (since his last international century). He says he doesn't know how many it has been, but he is not being honest either. He knows exactly when he had scored his last hundred and he knows that he needs another hundred to silence some of the critics. So he is feeling the pressure as much as anyone."

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...ndred-to-silence-critics-101638517576213.html

Last edited:
He is a very weird commentator. Pakistani fans base their opinion on what a commentator says and with the way he has been going after babar rizwan and shan is just ridiculous. Two of those guys won icc awards, one of thrm has won iccs top award which is cricketer of the year.

Guy needs to calm down a bit. This isnt nz, this is south asia where fans are ready to fgo after players and media influence selection.

Simon doull clearly has no idea where he is commentating.

I missed the part where you mentioned what Pakistan won as a team last year ? What good were these individual ICC awards when you contribute zilch when it matters ?

I like these blunt words from Simon Doull. The Aussie and Kiwi commentators generally don't mince their words or fall as easily for this sentimental drivel about individual accolades and "giving respect to the nation." Makes a refreshing change from PCB's corporate mouthpieces like Bazid Khan and Urooj Mumtaz.

Despite being groomed as a cricketer from an early age and enjoying goldenboy status from PCB, Babar Azam's game awareness remains schoolboy-esque. His captaincy has been a disaster at every level from U19s, domestic, PSL and internationals. He cannot even defend 240 in a T20. He presided over our worst ever home season and our first ever home Test whitewash. He declares to show "aggression" and calls it a "below the belt" decision nearly gifting NZ a Test destined for a draw.

Despite 2 years of nonstop criticism about his T20 SR, he still refuses to budge from the opening spot or adapt his powergame. On these flat pitches and pulled-in boundaries, his SR is the lowest amongst his PZ teammates and even rookie Saim Ayub (who he held down from his usual opening slot) is scoring at a quicker rate.

I'm not sure what's more unbelievable - that this selfish loser is still Pakistan captain or still has fans backing him to the hilt. I guess a group stage exit in India will make the reality finally sink in.

I missed the part where you mentioned what Pakistan won as a team last year ? What good were these individual ICC awards when you contribute zilch when it matters ?

I like these blunt words from Simon Doull. The Aussie and Kiwi commentators generally don't mince their words or fall as easily for this sentimental drivel about individual accolades and "giving respect to the nation." Makes a refreshing change from PCB's corporate mouthpieces like Bazid Khan and Urooj Mumtaz.

Despite being groomed as a cricketer from an early age and enjoying goldenboy status from PCB, Babar Azam's game awareness remains schoolboy-esque. His captaincy has been a disaster at every level from U19s, domestic, PSL and internationals. He cannot even defend 240 in a T20. He presided over our worst ever home season and our first ever home Test whitewash. He declares to show "aggression" and calls it a "below the belt" decision nearly gifting NZ a Test destined for a draw.

Despite 2 years of nonstop criticism about his T20 SR, he still refuses to budge from the opening spot or adapt his powergame. On these flat pitches and pulled-in boundaries, his SR is the lowest amongst his PZ teammates and even rookie Saim Ayub (who he held down from his usual opening slot) is scoring at a quicker rate.

I'm not sure what's more unbelievable - that this selfish loser is still Pakistan captain or still has fans backing him to the hilt. I guess a group stage exit in India will make the reality finally sink in.
Cricket is a team game in case you didn’t know. Kohli won so many awards can you give us what world cups he won for India. According to your logic his awards are nothing because he has failed a lot when it truly mattered.

Agreed and more so with the last sentence. Self respect and Pakistanis don’t go together. They have no problem in boot licking other teams, players etc but will always find problems with their own people.

Read above. There was nothing to call out. Nobody would call out Tim David either if he is struggling to get his bat under the ball during a rough patch in the middle

But you do know what strike rate Sam Billings has its not like he strikes way above others.

He got a hundred mate at an S/R of 177, is that not good enough or are you saying we need more of that? appreciate it was overshadowed by the torchbearer of modern opening batsmanship

He got a hundred mate at an S/R of 177, is that not good enough or are you saying we need more of that? appreciate it was overshadowed by the torchbearer of modern opening batsmanship

All Roy and Guptil had to do was realise,

“If Babar can score at 177, surely we can go at 300 on this deck”

Guess what? They went hell for leather and pretty much did strike at 250+

He’s paid to commentate and analyze the game and not just sing praises of the local players.

Unfortunately some fans don’t believe there should be any room for debate or criticism. Might as well hire cheerleaders in that case.

We see the same sort of thing in politics too. Debate is not encouraged.

Don’t see anything wrong . Pretty normal . We don’t want to hear the obvious . He is being honest and nothing disrespectful.. she has won hearts . Lol what’s wrong . Then blame the camera man first for focusing on woman

Simon Doull is king because he criticised and nit-picks on Babar. And Pakistani awaam are happy to side with this guy and kick one of our own into the ground further.

He has valid points which are reflected in the subcontinent players. However people cheering him here need to answer this "In NZ test matches I never saw him criticize Kohli for over the top agression and being in the face" Babar Rizwan are easy targets. Call out the big fish first. Kohli or Rohit also slow for a hundred. Maxwell himself said that once when Kohli was in 90's. Doull is right no doubt. But he is finding easy targets. Sometimes i wish Babar would talk like Kohli to these commentators and posters like Rana and his sidekicks

I dont think that was hasans wife.

As per a lot of tweets, she is.

obKEgAQ.png

KYEqEOn.png

i agree with everything you say, and i am a critic of Babar Azam's captaincy the day he was made captain.

But what i am against is the way how journalist have started to get personal with him and how Waeem akram and KK treated him. That was wrong.

The whole Babar Azam situation and criticism could had been done better, but the criticism is too extreme.

England has their own strategy, and we have created out own strategy of using anchor player as openers and going for attack from 1 down. THe anchors make use of the power play and adjust if there is a collapse.

Now why should Pakistan be forced to follow the England way. Both teams made the final and both strategies work.

All i know is, every Pakistani team that existed lost to India in a world cup. The strategy that Misbah gave us through Babar Azam and Rizwan finally helped us defeat India in a world cup. The strategy works for us

Cricket is a team game in case you didn’t know. Kohli won so many awards can you give us what world cups he won for India. According to your logic his awards are nothing because he has failed a lot when it truly mattered.

Virat Kohli hasn't won a World Cup but led his team to #1 in Test rankings for several years. He never lost a home Test series and got India competing overseas. There's no comparison between Kohli and Babar as a player or captain. Babar couldn't dream of playing the innings Kohli produced vs us at MCG.

If you're satisfied with a selfish statpadder and clueless captain who cannot even win a single home Test that's fine but don't expect others to sing his praises.

Virat Kohli hasn't won a World Cup but led his team to #1 in Test rankings for several years. He never lost a home Test series and got India competing overseas. There's no comparison between Kohli and Babar as a player or captain. Babar couldn't dream of playing the innings Kohli produced vs us at MCG.

If you're satisfied with a selfish statpadder and clueless captain who cannot even win a single home Test that's fine but don't expect others to sing his praises.

Simon Doull writing in a newspaper column about what you say is fine.

Simon Doull saying this on air where we have sponsors putting their money for the "best that Pakistan can offer" is not right. What he is saying is demeaning the league and its participants.

Simon Doull saying this on air where we have sponsors putting their money for the "best that Pakistan can offer" is not right. What he is saying is demeaning the league and its participants.

I guess it sums us up as a nation that our egos and sense of self-worth is so fragile that we cannot handle honest criticism. No wonder the country is in the pits in every way.

But there are certain individuals doing bhangra over this because there's a deep-rooted lack of self-respect issue. It's psychological, some individuals are just jealous of successful people.

So, what if Babar isn't the world's best T20I batter? He's still the best batsman overall to come out of Pakistan in the last 5 years. Stat padding and other stuff are newly formed urban nonsense.

I know who I have to choose between Simon Doull and Babar Azam. One was a nothing cricketer, while the other is at the top of his profession.

But there are certain individuals doing bhangra over this because there's a deep-rooted lack of self-respect issue. It's psychological, some individuals are just jealous of successful people.

So, what if Babar isn't the world's best T20I batter? He's still the best batsman overall to come out of Pakistan in the last 5 years. Stat padding and other stuff are newly formed urban nonsense.

I know who I have to choose between Simon Doull and Babar Azam. One was a nothing cricketer, while the other is at the top of his profession.

Tell Babar to stop misusing power and destroying the careers of other players and then you can harp on about him being the best Pakistani batter

My foot he is the best Pakistani batter. Fakhar Zaman is the best Pakistani white ball batter and Babar is just an abuser of power. Full stop

I guess it sums us up as a nation that our egos and sense of self-worth is so fragile that we cannot handle honest criticism. No wonder the country is in the pits in every way.

Think equating Babar Azam's inability to hit sixes when approaching 100 and the state of our country are disproportionate comparisons.

I agree with you about all criticism that BA gets but to talk down to him on TV when he can't even talk back is not right.

By all means, Doull can ask for a one on one with BA to air his issues - I don't have a problem with that.

Tell Babar to stop misusing power and destroying the careers of other players and then you can harp on about him being the best Pakistani batter

My foot he is the best Pakistani batter. Fakhar Zaman is the best Pakistani white ball batter and Babar is just an abuser of power. Full stop

You seem to move from Sharjeel is the best to Azam Khan is the best to Fakhar is the best with great ease.

Anyone-but-Babar-Azam is how you look at things. Wish you would make that clear instead of throwing random names around.

You seem to move from Sharjeel is the best to Azam Khan is the best to Fakhar is the best with great ease.

Anyone-but-Babar-Azam is how you look at things. Wish you would make that clear instead of throwing random names around.

Yeah I’m pretty sure I have never hyped up Azam on the same level I have for Fakhar and Sharjeel

I’ve always maintained Fakhar is the best white ball batsman in Pakistan

Not a particularly high bar to clear !

The logic from Babar fans continues to amaze - so Simon Doull cannot criticise him because he was an inferior cricketer. Do you understand what a commentator's job is ? They're meant to hold mics not pompoms or placards.

What success has Babar delivered ? Losing an Asia Cup Final having reduced a poor SL to 58-5 ? Being outbatted by tailenders in that tournament ? Losing to Zimbabwe in the T20 World Cup and then a flop in the final having been handed a gigantic reprieve by the Dutch ? Not winning a single home Test last year ?

The problem is Babar fans are stuck in 2020 when yes he was a world-class LO batsman. His T20 SR has since declined sharply from 144 to mid 120s. And here's a reminder of his output at the two biggest T20 events last year:

Asia Cup - Avg 11 at SR of 107.
World Cup - Avg 17 at SR of 93.

Unlike you and others, I'm not into personality cults. The team means everything. I've shed tears in wins and defeats. It pains me to see what Pakistan cricket has become where the accolades of individuals has taken precedence over the team's results, where faults are conveniently glossed over and anyone daring to speak the truth is shouted down.

It seems Doull is enjoying his stay in Pakistan. He can speak his mind freely regarding their players in their own country. This is something he will never get to experience while commentating in India. :inti

It seems Doull is enjoying his stay in Pakistan. He can speak his mind freely regarding their players in their own country. This is something he will never get to experience while commentating in India. :inti

But our fans want to get rid of this privilege of having free speech

I reiterate. If you (commentators) disagree with Simon, take him on in the commentary box!

All Roy and Guptil had to do was realise,

“If Babar can score at 177, surely we can go at 300 on this deck”

Guess what? They went hell for leather and pretty much did strike at 250+

Roy was/is the heartbeat of England’s batting revolution and change in mindset, his skills are very well suited to LOI’s, they are two very different players. Babar’s knock was pretty good or are we going to criticise that just because the specialist had one of his best days ever in the format

Roy was/is the heartbeat of England’s batting revolution and change in mindset, his skills are very well suited to LOI’s, they are two very different players. Babar’s knock was pretty good or are we going to criticise that just because the specialist had one of his best days ever in the format

Also this nonsense of “Roy played a once in a lifetime innings”. No he did not! Give him this track again and he will score a 30-40 ball ton again. He has a 40 ball ton in the PSL before this too. This is bread and butter batting for him.

Also this nonsense of “Roy played a once in a lifetime innings”. No he did not! Give him this track again and he will score a 30-40 ball ton again. He has a 40 ball ton in the PSL before this too. This is bread and butter batting for him.

He wont do it every time scoring rapid fire hundreds given the nature of the format, but he is well capable of a great score and is back in form. I’ve watched him long before he made it to England, he’s special, he will go down as a LOI great. But you judge players within the confines of their abilities to, by any stretch of the imagination Babar’s 100 was a great knock to, I don’t see why it should be berated because Roy’s was better.

Sorry but what does this have to do with anything? Reading the game and playing the game are 2 completely different skillsets. One is technical and the other is analytical.

FYI, you can be a world class cricketer but be a terrible reader of the game. A fine example of this is Waqar Younis. I don't know if you know who Bharat Arun is but this guy only played 2 tests + 4 x ODIs for India but he's one of the best bowling coaches in the world (if not the best).

Also, there are posters on here who've never played professional cricket but have a better understanding of the modern game compared to nearly all of the ex-Pakistan players.

With your mindset, you're basically implying that anyone who doesn't play at a high level isn't worthy of an opinion.

Love Doull. Says it like it is. He was the one who called babar the best batsman across formats, nobody had a problem then. Too many snowflakes, need more commentators like Doull.

I remember when Simon Doull made a comment on-air regarding Dale Steyn's hairstyle during a PSL match couple of years ago which Steyn didn't take it well and tweeted about it as well.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If your job is to talk about the game, then do that.<br>But if you use that airtime to abuse anyone for their weight, sexual choices, ethnic backgrounds, lifestyle etc or even hairstyles, then im afraid I have no time for you as a human. <br>You and anyone else like that to be fair.</p>— Dale Steyn (@DaleSteyn62) <a href="https://twitter.com/DaleSteyn62/status/1365663438454857728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 27, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

In my personal opinion, Doully has been best amongst all the commentators commenting in the on going current PSL season. May be Nick Knight along with him but the rest aren't upto the mark.

Who’s singing his praises. He got many faults and as a player he’s no way near Kohli and never will doesn’t change the fact after all these records and awards he hasn’t won anything for India as far as ICC tournaments go. You asked a similar question to the poster above when he mentioned ICC awards and now you have a different answer for Kohli. It’s a simple question what did Kohli win after all those awards?

Back