[VIDEOS] Why did Waqar Younis have such an ordinary record against top sides?

No aura at all, dead personalities and inflated numbers against mediocre opposition on unhelpful tracks, I have to point this out since you lot started the absurd nitpicking mate. All the lads idolised Waqar including Bolt, He bought excitement to the game. Bumrah and Shami are mainly being advocated by the EE customer service lot and other than that.
Bumrah and Shami have enough accomplishments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol - so now it’s about individual innings. What other metric will satisfy your statistical gymnastics?

btw, West Indies were the “top side” up to 1995. In the tests up to that point, Waqar took 35 wickets in 6 tests. Not too shabby I’d say?
I don't say that. My observation is NZ was always terrified of pace bowlers who could.biwl full..Pakistan had a lot of such options. West Indies was not a top batting side in the mid 90s. Just good bowling side.

I don't say that. My observation is NZ was always terrified of pace bowlers who could.biwl full..Pakistan had a lot of such options. West Indies was not a top batting side in the mid 90s. Just good bowling side.
I’m talking about early 90s! I even said that earlier.

Enough to ensure that he gets booed out of the ground by Pakistani fans during the presentation ceremony of that match.
Who broke the opening partnership and got gangulay out first ball?

Pakistani fans are a fickle binch, i wasn't present at the ground but i sure can spot fiction from a mile.

Pakistani fans are a fickle binch, i wasn't present at the ground but i sure can spot fiction from a mile.
8.4 overs; 71 runs; 2 wickets

Only on here would Waqar be considered better than Shami, Bumrah while in actual not only is he inferior but I’m not even in the same league.

Shami is GOAT
Bumrah is contender for all format GOAT

Waqar’s career highlight is literally being Wasim Akram’s Robin.

Agreed - that dismissal of Sehwag and Ganguly created panic, Tendulkar duly gave a soft catch and had that lazy, sleepy Razzi been in the position he was told to stand in next over (wasim), we would have had 3 wickets in 2 overs.

Only on here would Waqar be considered better than Shami, Bumrah while in actual not only is he inferior but I’m not even in the same league.

Shami is GOAT
Bumrah is contender for all format GOAT

Waqar’s career highlight is literally being Wasim Akram’s Robin.
Can you make your mind up? GOAT can only be one person. Which one of the two is GOAT?

Hate to ask this - do you even know what GOAT stands for (without googling)

Can you make your mind up? GOAT can only be one person. Which one of the two is GOAT?

Hate to ask this - do you even know what GOAT stands for (without googling)

Shami is ODI GOAT

Bumrah is All Formats combined GOAT

Shami is ODI GOAT

Bumrah is All Formats combined GOAT
They aren't. They will have to pull off a perfect choke job against Pakistan in 2 WC matches like Waqar did against India to compete with him.

I will request my fellow Indian fans to go easy on Pakistan supporters, Their country is dominated by military, they have no sporting stars, no achievement in science and tech. If they want to have some peace by remembering and overacting players from a time when they were the third best team in the world, we should act like magnanimous big brothers and let them do so. After all, we have to remember that they never had a team which was ranked no 1 in tests for a long time like the current Indian team. Waqar is the best they have, nothing wrong in letting them cheris him.

I will request my fellow Indian fans to go easy on Pakistan supporters, Their country is dominated by military, they have no sporting stars, no achievement in science and tech. If they want to have some peace by remembering and overacting players from a time when they were the third best team in the world, we should act like magnanimous big brothers and let them do so. After all, we have to remember that they never had a team which was ranked no 1 in tests for a long time like the current Indian team. Waqar is the best they have, nothing wrong in letting them cheris him.
Here are his phantabulous numbers during Pakistan's tour to India in 1999.

Overs - 49; Wickets - 2; Ave - 76.50; SR - 147

I haven't even selected the only solitary Test where he picked up 0 wickets. :ROFLMAO:

Big part in this are the bragging rights. Fact and truth is Pak bottled many ICC WC games vs India. During the 90s and even WC 2003 Pak on paper had the stronger team, but still managed to bottle it. in case of Waqar Younis, he got smashed by Jadeja on that day and then you are done and dusted.

Conclusion is and thats the hars reality for us Pak fans that depsite the fantastic record (ODI) they have as bowlers. Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib and Saqlain all bottled it vs India on the big stage.

After 80 odd years of your cricketing history you finally have some fast bowlers to speak of, that’s cute.

Forget Waqar - Shami is the ODI GOAT - better than Starc, better than Akram, better than Mcgrath. Remind me how many ODI world cups Shami has won? I’ll wait…..

Big part in this are the bragging rights. Fact and truth is Pak bottled many ICC WC games vs India. During the 90s and even WC 2003 Pak on paper had the stronger team, but still managed to bottle it. in case of Waqar Younis, he got smashed by Jadeja on that day and then you are done and dusted.

Conclusion is and thats the hars reality for us Pak fans that depsite the fantastic record (ODI) they have as bowlers. Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib and Saqlain all bottled it vs India on the big stage.
Who sets the definition of the big stage? You and Indians?

Pakistan battered India black and blue. No amount of historical revisionism and crap about big stage will change it.

Pakistan is 2 times world champion.
1 time Champions trophy winner

They have my respect they have a great legacy.

But Gandhi taught me to be a Satyawaadi so I cannot accept such ridiculous claims that Waqar was better than Shami or Bumrah. Its blasphemous. Shami has dominated not one not two but three world cups consecutively. It’s the most remarkable feat.

Who sets the definition of the big stage? You and Indians?

Pakistan battered India black and blue. No amount of historical revisionism and crap about big stage will change it.

It matters because when the lights are too bright, Pakistani cricketers have been proven to become nervous against their daredevil Bharatiya counterparts.

What’s the record like 20-4 something in ICC tournaments?

Also, Bharat has 8 Asia Cups to Pakistan’s 2

Said this about Waqar previously and will say this again. His record is a bit inflated for bashing minnows like ZIM and BD. And yes, ZIM were complete Test minnows.

Even in his era, the Test bowlers better than him were

Ambrose
McGrath
Pollock
Donald
Wasim
Walsh.

The WC is the biggest stage. Yes Pak was superior during the 90s, but that makes the WC losses even harder to digest.
Winning a world cup is the biggest stage but random group games can't be inflated to this level.

Nobody got too fussed about the random world cup non knockout losses back in the day. I can say this with confidence as a Pakistan fan and from watching cricket alongside Indian fans. They were happy but in the grand scheme of the tournament it was immaterial.

I think from 03 onwards, they became a big deal due to the lack of bilateral between the two countries and, in more recent times, due to the overall decline in bilateral series across the board.

Waqar was never a world class bowler. You remove ball tempering and Waqar is as skillful as Shabbir Ahmed or Rana Naved.

the world doesn’t revolve around India - Pakistan lost to India in 92 and 99. They also lost to Bangladesh. Yet after those tournament no-one was talking about India.

If India beat Pakistan and do something then fine.

92 and 99, India were small fry. Pakistan thought they could turn up and beat them. Never mind, bigger fish to fry.

India got booted out in the group stages in those tournaments.

Stop looking at scorecards and get some context

Waqar was never a world class bowler. You remove ball tempering and Waqar is as skillful as Shabbir Ahmed or Rana Naved.
What is ball tempering? The temparature? Or the temperament of the ball? Just be clear so we can respond

After 80 odd years of your cricketing history you finally have some fast bowlers to speak of, that’s cute.
Without quality pacers we had already won 5 ICC trophy .so just think what will india do in coming year's.

And with those trundlers bowlers we were always smashed Pakistan in biggest stages of cricket aka World Cup .

Without quality pacers we had already won 5 ICC trophy .so just think what will india do in coming year's.

And with those trundlers bowlers we were always smashed Pakistan in biggest stages of cricket aka World Cup .

Well you’ve had bumrah and shami approaching 7 years, and all you’ve secured his one because of a monumental bottle job by serial bottlers South Africa.

Maybe you were better off without them

the world doesn’t revolve around India - Pakistan lost to India in 92 and 99. They also lost to Bangladesh. Yet after those tournament no-one was talking about India.

92 and 99, India were small fry. Pakistan thought they could turn up and beat them. Never mind, bigger fish to fry.

Pak vs India matches are huge. Agree 92 and 99 had no impact as Pak reached 2 finals and won the WC. But not being able to win a single 50 over WC game is just pathetic.

Like I said bragging rights, the context here is that with all the stars we had over the years, we still failed to win a single game. For that reason I have massive respect for Sarfaraz, Fakhar and Amir who after years and years of humiliation defeated India in a ICC final. That was a proper beating and India got trashed.

Well you’ve had bumrah and shami approaching 7 years, and all you’ve secured his one because of a monumental bottle job by serial bottlers South Africa.

Maybe you were better off without them
With bumrah , shami we has won what no Asian team ever win with so called best bowler's

Two back to back test series in australia . theses win are bigger than a world Cup .:kp

What is ball tempering? The temparature? Or the temperament of the ball? Just be clear so we can respond
dude he got busted on video and admitted that he has been doing it for a long time. he even said not sure what the fuzz is about as it is standard practice in Pak team.

Interestingly, it was during a match with SA he got busted. similar to sandpaper gate

Pak vs India matches are huge. Agree 92 and 99 had no impact as Pak reached 2 finals and won the WC. But not being able to win a single 50 over WC game is just pathetic.

Like I said bragging rights, the context here is that with all the stars we had over the years, we still failed to win a single game. For that reason I have massive respect for Sarfaraz, Fakhar and Amir who after years and years of humiliation defeated India in a ICC final. That was a proper beating and India got trashed.
I agree with the last part. Massive respect but more importantly it was a match that meant something - the final.

At the end of the day why are you over analysing pak v india WC matches. We don’t even know if all players were trying to win those matches. Wasim pulling out last minute in 96 and the rumours that don’t go away. 1999 was another very dodgy game if you watch it properly. And wasim even said before the game they are treating this as a practice game as they have another chance to go through in the next match.

2003 was a genuine loss I agree - it became a crunch game because Pakistan inexplicably also lost to England just before that. But we all know wasim, Waqar and even Saeed bhai (despite his century) were just names at that point. Nowhere near their best. Real disappointments were Inzi, Younis, Yousuf, afridi, Abdul Razzaq and Shoaib.

I won’t go in to the rest because they were out of the era you were talking about.

dude he got busted on video and admitted that he has been doing it for a long time. he even said not sure what the fuzz is about as it is standard practice in Pak team.

Interestingly, it was during a match with SA he got busted. similar to sandpaper gate
Point me to it. Waqar never said that.

But it is true that ball tampering esp lifting the seam has been going on for yonks. If you causals are not aware of it then I can’t help you.

Pakistan having great fast bowling legacy is a big myth. In their entire history Pakistan only has 3 fast bowlers who went past 200 Test wickets. A country boasting of a great fast bowling legacy is at least expected to have a better record than that? The reason for Pakistan being so inconsistent in Tests is due to the fact that none of their fast bowlers actually improved and made a decent career for themselves. Yeah Pakistan produced good fast bowlers in the past but only a few actually did something with their careers.

There are only 2 countries who can claim to have a great fast bowling legacy and they are England & Australia who have produced 14 such bowlers each. SA despite almost missing 30 years due to ban still managed 8 bowlers with most of them being greats of the game. WI & NZ come next with 7 and 6 respectively followed by India who have have 5 such bowlers. Only teams who have done worse than Pakistan in producing Test paces with 200+ wickets are Srilanka & Bangladesh among teams who have had Test status for a while.

So I understand the need to hold on to the legacy of Waqar, Wasim and Imran by the Pakistan fans as they haven't had anyone for over a decade who even touched 150 Test wickets. The last one to do so was Umar Gul who ended up with 163 wickets. Pakistan have had only 6 pacers who have gone past 150 Test wickets in their history. Very ordinary for a country who boast of producing great fast bowling talent. If Shaheen does not fade away, Pakistan finally has a chance of adding another pacer to the 200 wickets club. Fast bowling legacy does not mean a thing if none of your bowlers manage to do anything meaningful in their careers making your team one of the best in the world. Please don't come back with "But Aamir has won ICC trophies" etc as it does not negate the fact that he had an ordinary career overall for the team.

"Younis received a heavier penalty than Mahmood because had been warned for a similar offence by Reid during the third Test against Sri Lanka at Kandy last week."

I'll post the link to his comments. need to find it. Posted it on a another pak cricket site (which is now defunct) a while back

But it is true that ball tampering esp lifting the seam has been going on for yonks. If you causals are not aware of it then I can’t help you.
And once that was punished on a regular basis, Pak fast bowling record in tests has been pedestrian

Waqar had not seen the drama unfold in Hobart, but was hardly surprised when told of the accusations being hurled by the Sri Lankans at Australian quick Peter Siddle.

The former Pakistan paceman was banned and fined 50 per cent of his match fee for lifting the seam off the ball during a one-dayer against Sri Lanka in 2000.

Waqar went one step further and sensationally claimed he was glad ball-tampering claims had been directed towards a team not from the subcontinent.

"To be really honest, I'm not surprised," Waqar said.

"Tampering with the ball has been part of cricket for the last 100 years, maybe more.

"If people want to close their eyes and say, 'Oh, it's not happening and cricket is very clean', you're kidding me, that's rubbish.

"There's some sort of tampering going on. If you go back to the 1960s and 1970s, you'd see players putting Vasoline on the ball, people eating mints and putting their saliva on the ball, or picking at the seam. There is heaps going on.

"All I'm saying, when this happened during our time, I don't know if it was to do with we coming from the sub-continent and we were just too good and people didn't like that. Now this has come. It doesn't really surprise me.

"If you come to the subcontinent and the pitches they play (on), you still see people throwing the ball around on the ground, trying to scuff it up as soon as possible. The England team do it."

Waqar said he recently completed a commentary role in Abu Dhabi where Australia played and "it was happening then".

Waqar took 373 wickets in 87 Tests for Pakistan and formed one of the great pace attacks with left-armer Wasim Akram.

The 41-year-old who now lives in Sydney said he was glad ball tampering had not involved a team on the subcontinent.

"Sometimes they pick on certain teams. It's good that it's happened in another part of the world other than the subcontinent," Waqar said.

Waqar said different players used different ways to tamper with the ball. He added who the third umpire was in Hobart would "play a big role" in any possible punishment handed down.

All I'm saying, when this happened during our time, I don't know if it was to do with we coming from the sub-continent and we were just too good and people didn't like that. Now this has come. It doesn't really surprise me.

Kapil Dev
Javagal Srinath
Zaheer Khan
Mohammad Shami
Jasprit Bumrah

V/s

Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar
Sarfaraz Nawaz

Pakistan don't have much of a fast bowling legacy either because after 2 names, the quality and performance drops drastically.

I agree with the last part. Massive respect but more importantly it was a match that meant something - the final.

At the end of the day why are you over analysing pak v india WC matches. We don’t even know if all players were trying to win those matches. Wasim pulling out last minute in 96 and the rumours that don’t go away. 1999 was another very dodgy game if you watch it properly. And wasim even said before the game they are treating this as a practice game as they have another chance to go through in the next match.

2003 was a genuine loss I agree - it became a crunch game because Pakistan inexplicably also lost to England just before that. But we all know wasim, Waqar and even Saeed bhai (despite his century) were just names at that point. Nowhere near their best. Real disappointments were Inzi, Younis, Yousuf, afridi, Abdul Razzaq and Shoaib.

I won’t go in to the rest because they were out of the era you were talking about.
What madeyou think Pak weren't taking matches seriously?okay I can believe they underestimated India in 99,as they carried points
96?Wasim Akram pulling out meant whole unit wasn't serious?it was a QF
The seriousness was seen ,Aamer Sohail showed it

Every bowler has a weak spot and waqar is no different but saying that he is a nothing bowler or a bowler who has got no game is not right. He is one of the greatest players to ever hold the bowl.

Waqar had not seen the drama unfold in Hobart, but was hardly surprised when told of the accusations being hurled by the Sri Lankans at Australian quick Peter Siddle.

The former Pakistan paceman was banned and fined 50 per cent of his match fee for lifting the seam off the ball during a one-dayer against Sri Lanka in 2000.

Waqar went one step further and sensationally claimed he was glad ball-tampering claims had been directed towards a team not from the subcontinent.

"To be really honest, I'm not surprised," Waqar said.

"Tampering with the ball has been part of cricket for the last 100 years, maybe more.

"If people want to close their eyes and say, 'Oh, it's not happening and cricket is very clean', you're kidding me, that's rubbish.

"There's some sort of tampering going on. If you go back to the 1960s and 1970s, you'd see players putting Vasoline on the ball, people eating mints and putting their saliva on the ball, or picking at the seam. There is heaps going on.

"All I'm saying, when this happened during our time, I don't know if it was to do with we coming from the sub-continent and we were just too good and people didn't like that. Now this has come. It doesn't really surprise me.

"If you come to the subcontinent and the pitches they play (on), you still see people throwing the ball around on the ground, trying to scuff it up as soon as possible. The England team do it."

Waqar said he recently completed a commentary role in Abu Dhabi where Australia played and "it was happening then".

Waqar took 373 wickets in 87 Tests for Pakistan and formed one of the great pace attacks with left-armer Wasim Akram.

The 41-year-old who now lives in Sydney said he was glad ball tampering had not involved a team on the subcontinent.

"Sometimes they pick on certain teams. It's good that it's happened in another part of the world other than the subcontinent," Waqar said.

Waqar said different players used different ways to tamper with the ball. He added who the third umpire was in Hobart would "play a big role" in any possible punishment handed down.

All I'm saying, when this happened during our time, I don't know if it was to do with we coming from the sub-continent and we were just too good and people didn't like that. Now this has come. It doesn't really surprise me.
Ok, I thought you were saying he said that while he was playing. He makes a fair point.

Look, I think it is adorable that my little Indian friends are finally discussing fast bowling after being starved for so long. But everyone knows ball tampering has been going on for yonks. Anyone who doesn’t know that, needs to dig deeper. But you guys are slowly crawling out of the rock. It’s cute. Keep educating yourselves. I think you’re on the right track - it’s good to get in to fast bowling. When you need pointers please let me know. Always happy to help.

What madeyou think Pak weren't taking matches seriously?okay I can believe they underestimated India in 99,as they carried points
96?Wasim Akram pulling out meant whole unit wasn't serious?it was a QF
The seriousness was seen ,Aamer Sohail showed it
I’m not saying everyone was underperforming- it’s quite clear some Pakistani players were trying very hard to win. However, there is a lot of history to that game that people cannot get away from.

And even if there was nothing underhand, losing Akram who was captain and premier fast bowler (Waqar was just returning from his second stress fracture of the back) handicapped the pak team.

Pakistan having great fast bowling legacy is a big myth. In their entire history Pakistan only has 3 fast bowlers who went past 200 Test wickets. A country boasting of a great fast bowling legacy is at least expected to have a better record than that? The reason for Pakistan being so inconsistent in Tests is due to the fact that none of their fast bowlers actually improved and made a decent career for themselves. Yeah Pakistan produced good fast bowlers in the past but only a few actually did something with their careers.

There are only 2 countries who can claim to have a great fast bowling legacy and they are England & Australia who have produced 14 such bowlers each. SA despite almost missing 30 years due to ban still managed 8 bowlers with most of them being greats of the game. WI & NZ come next with 7 and 6 respectively followed by India who have have 5 such bowlers. Only teams who have done worse than Pakistan in producing Test paces with 200+ wickets are Srilanka & Bangladesh among teams who have had Test status for a while.

So I understand the need to hold on to the legacy of Waqar, Wasim and Imran by the Pakistan fans as they haven't had anyone for over a decade who even touched 150 Test wickets. The last one to do so was Umar Gul who ended up with 163 wickets. Pakistan have had only 6 pacers who have gone past 150 Test wickets in their history. Very ordinary for a country who boast of producing great fast bowling talent. If Shaheen does not fade away, Pakistan finally has a chance of adding another pacer to the 200 wickets club. Fast bowling legacy does not mean a thing if none of your bowlers manage to do anything meaningful in their careers making your team one of the best in the world. Please don't come back with "But Aamir has won ICC trophies" etc as it does not negate the fact that he had an ordinary career overall for the team.
England doesn’t have a better fast bowling legacy than SouthAfrica and Weat Indies, yes quantity matters but so does quality.

If I was to rate pace bowling nations, it would be

West Indies
Australia
SouthAftrica
England
Pakistan
NewZealand
India
SriLanka

Rating nations solely on how man 200 wkts pacers they have produced sounds irrational, legacy is defined by quality + quantity.

Kapil Dev
Javagal Srinath
Zaheer Khan
Mohammad Shami
Jasprit Bumrah

V/s

Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar
Sarfaraz Nawaz

Pakistan don't have much of a fast bowling legacy either because after 2 names, the quality and performance drops drastically.
Pakistan looks much better here, what’s your conclusion?

Btw you haven’t added their first legendary bowler Fazal Mahmood, he is definitely above Akhtar.

Talk about Waqar Younis only. England and India's bowlers are not the topics of discussion in this thread.

West Indies have produced

Marshall
Ambrose
Walsh
Holding
Garner
Roberts
Croft
Walcott
Hall
Roach

SouthAfrica

Steyn
Donald
Pollock
Morkel
Rabada
Philander
Ntini
Van der bijl
Procter

And mind you they lost Dwanne Olivier and Kyle Abbott to County cricket.

Pakistan is definitely nowhere near

Ok, I thought you were saying he said that while he was playing.
I'll try to find the link.

He was actually quoted saying exactly right after video busted him
He makes a fair point.
no he doesn't
Look, I think it is adorable that my little Indian friends are finally discussing fast bowling after being starved for so long. But everyone knows ball tampering has been going on for yonks. Anyone who doesn’t know that, needs to dig deeper. But you guys are slowly crawling out of the rock. It’s cute. Keep educating yourselves. I think you’re on the right track - it’s good to get in to fast bowling. When you need pointers please let me know. Always happy to help.
nah, pak talent has been shown for teh shoit that it is when not allowed to cheat

Kapil Dev
Javagal Srinath
Zaheer Khan
Mohammad Shami
Jasprit Bumrah

V/s

Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar
Sarfaraz Nawaz

That Pakistani group is unquestionably better than the Indian bowlers you listed. It's not even close.

This thread is not about comparing the greatest bowlers of all time between India and Pakistan. Please, Stay on TOPIC

Waqar admitted to tampering even while he was playing back in 2000. Guy was always thick.

He's an ATG.

Great pace, excellent reverse swing, and of course the yorkers. Was lethal during the earlier parts of his career including his "peak" and then injuries/age started catching up to him.

Not on Wasim's level (most bowlers aren't) but an excellent bowler.

nah, pak talent has been shown for teh shoit that it is when not allowed to cheat
look whatever Bumrah, Shami or any next Jeet comes out with, they will just be pretenders.

Even this week after Mark Wood’s spell. It was described as Waqar-esque. Any great reverse swing spell is described Waqar-esque. Waqar and Wasim changed cricket. True pioneers.

People rightly remember waqar’s extreme pace reverse swing. It’s only Indians and some Pakistani grifters who talk about tampering. People have grown up.

As I said, Indian fast bowling novice analysis is cute and all, but eventually you will need to grow up too.

I wish you well.

West Indies have produced

Marshall
Ambrose
Walsh
Holding
Garner
Roberts
Croft
Walcott
Hall
Roach

SouthAfrica

Steyn
Donald
Pollock
Morkel
Rabada
Philander
Ntini
Van der bijl
Procter

And mind you they lost Dwanne Olivier and Kyle Abbott to County cricket.

Pakistan is definitely nowhere near
Gymnastics again…

It’s Pakistan consistent production line of Express (not medium pacers) from 1990-2010

Gymnastics again…

It’s Pakistan consistent production line of Express (not medium pacers) from 1990-2010
To add. It’s not about the number of games.

Express pace

Waqar

Waqar is declining in pace, no problem and out of nowhere comes Zahid

Zahid has a serious injury, no problem we have Shoaib Akhtar.

Wasim, Waqar retire, no problem Shoaib still there and now sami is express too.

Sami was a false dawn, Umar Gul dramatically increases pace briefly…

Then….Amir turns up….bowling at times over 150k.

It’s fast bowling legacy - not medium pace legacy.

Misbah came and killed it for a while, but we will rise again…

True, my point is simply that a lot of Indians magnify some random thing. They celebrate those edges as if it means anything.

That comment just reeks of plain unhinged bias. Just have a look at Tendulkars inngs in the link below.Just sublime stroke making .. that day he literally played all shots except for the hook shot ... and watch how Robin Jackman the commentator describes a cover drive. Learn to Enjoy good Cricket when You see it.

Or maybe you can explain how a top edge produces a flatish six over 3rd ma

The WC is the biggest stage. Yes Pak was superior during the 90s, but that makes the WC losses even harder to digest.
And as result most Pakistanis quickly reach out to the bilateral series and the pepsi/cola/hajmola/kiply trophies as a coping mechanism and to save face.... the mask fell off horribly when they finally managed to win one measly WC match after nearly 3 decades and the jingoism reached absurd levels.... the most bravest and jingoistic ones sport the 152-0 TShirt... imagine standing next to Indian fan with a Tshirt that reads 8-Nothing. 🤣

Nobody got too fussed about the random world cup non knockout losses back in the day. I can say this with confidence as a Pakistan fan and from watching cricket alongside Indian fans. They were happy but in the grand scheme of the tournament it was immaterial.

Naah this is just not true at all. The theme has always been that its ok to not win the cup as long as you can beat the arch enemy.

Besides that there is the small matter of Being evicted from the WC alltogether due to loss in a knockout or must win match to the arch enemy like 96, 03, 07, 11, 24

Your players suffered Some serious backlash including Threats

That comment just reeks of plain unhinged bias. Just have a look at Tendulkars inngs in the link below.Just sublime stroke making .. that day he literally played all shots except for the hook shot ... and watch how Robin Jackman the commentator describes a cover drive. Learn to Enjoy good Cricket when You see it.

Or maybe you can explain how a top edge produces a flatish six over 3rd ma

It was a good innings, but not a great one. He didn’t finish the innings off. It could have been a 1999 test match repeat - credit to Dravid for finishing the game. And the really scared manner of dismissal was very poor too - taking your eye off the ball. Fear should never enter a great player’s mind.

The squareness of the 6 doesn’t matter. It’s was still an edge. Shoaib’s supreme pace helped it go for 6. Fast bowlers let these things happen. This is attacking bowling. Credit for the on drive though - that was a lot more impressive than a random edge that you guys sing about.

Robin Jackman is full of superlatives - he also said in 1998 that there was no better sight in world cricket than Waqar Younis and he could watch him bowling all day. I mean we don’t go on about that, really we don’t need these “look what XYZ said about our play. Our plan is simple “look boy, go watch some videos”

Naah this is just not true at all. The theme has always been that its ok to not win the cup as long as you can beat the arch enemy.

Besides that there is the small matter of Being evicted from the WC alltogether due to loss in a knockout or must win match to the arch enemy like 96, 03, 07, 11, 24

Your players suffered Some serious backlash including Threats
Honestly speaking whenever Pakistan have had a great team that before the tournament I feel can win the tournament, the last thing on my mind is if we beat India. 90s India were almost minnow level. 1992 before the tournament, I was only concerned about Australia, West Indies and England. India were a bit of a joke team to me.

Same with 1999. India who? The team we thrash from pillar to post day in, day out. Got no interest in that game.

Honestly speaking whenever Pakistan have had a great team that before the tournament I feel can win the tournament, the last thing on my mind is if we beat India. 90s India were almost minnow level. 1992 before the tournament, I was only concerned about Australia, West Indies and England. India were a bit of a joke team to me.

Same with 1999. India who? The team we thrash from pillar to post day in, day out. Got no interest in that game.

Is that why Wasims family faced death threats after q/f exit despite him not playing that match? How about the players having to be whisked off through back doors on arrival at airport after the loss ?

And lin contrast ook at the reactions after the 2021 Win ... that tells you the story.

It was a good innings, but not a great one. He didn’t finish the innings off. It could have been a 1999 test match repeat - credit to Dravid for finishing the game. And the really scared manner of dismissal was very poor too - taking your eye off the ball. Fear should never enter a great player’s mind.

Because he was injured and it was a unplayable delivery from a great bowler .

The squareness of the 6 doesn’t matter. It’s was still an edge. Shoaib’s supreme pace helped it go for 6. Fast bowlers let these things happen. This is attacking bowling. Credit for the on drive though - that was a lot more impressive than a random edge that you guys sing about.

If you don't believe in physics then ofcourse the trajectory doesn't matter... as they say Dill behlanekeliye khayal ....

But if you do believe in physics then a top edge does not take that flatish trajectory.

Robin Jackman is full of superlatives - he also said in 1998 that there was no better sight in world cricket than Waqar Younis and he could watch him bowling all day. I mean we don’t go on about that, really we don’t need these “look what XYZ said about our play. Our plan is simple “look boy,

Its not just him ... that Innings is rated very highly. First time Oam hearing that the innings was nothing special ... like what ... not one single Pakistani player can play shots like that to Express fast bowlers.

@TheSultan

Here is Ramiz Raja desribing that shot live at 1:05 in the video linked below.

His words: " thats gone away in a flash ... thats cricket at its best ... Really hats off for middling that wide one from Shoaib"

Is that why Wasims family faced death threats after q/f exit despite him not playing that match? How about the players having to be whisked off through back doors on arrival at airport after the loss ?

And lin contrast ook at the reactions after the 2021 Win ... that tells you the story.
That was 1996, which was a knock out game so emotions were higher and the anger towards Wasim was in part also because some people felt there was something very suspicious about him pulling out last minute.

My point still stands. When I really believe Pakistan have a strong World Cup team, I don’t really care about random World Cup matches that are in effect meaningless. 1996 was meaningful so emotions were high. No one really cared about 1992 and 1999. We had bigger fish to fry

Here is Ramiz Raja desribing that shot live at 1:05

His words: " thats gone away in a flash ... Really hats off for middling that wide one from Shoaib"

Rameez praising a player with his cliched superlatives is nothing to write home about. Tendulkar was one obviously has played some great shots over the course of his career, no one doubts that. You don’t need to point out what ramiz, jackman, bradman etc said. It stinks of try hardness.

I’ve even given him credit for the on drive against shoaib which was yes sublime, but the edge was an edge. Not necessarily a top edge, but it was an edge, didn’t go where he intended. He was effectively beaten. A bigger boundary and he was out.

That was 1996, which was a knock out game so emotions were higher and the anger towards Wasim was in part also because some people felt there was something very suspicious about him pulling out last minute.

My point still stands. When I really believe Pakistan have a strong World Cup team, I don’t really care about random World Cup matches that are in effect meaningless. 1996 was meaningful so emotions were high. No one really cared about 1992 and 1999. We had bigger fish to fry

You cant claim to have a Point at all when the ground reality as exhibited by the public is in stark contrast to what you are trying to Portray.

After the 1999 WC loss Pakistani fans got into a proper brawl at the ground. And here yyou're trying to put up a brave face trying to pretend as though nothing happened. Plus I recall that there was a match fixing inquiry about that loss ... lol

Rameez praising a player with his cliched superlatives is nothing to write home about. Tendulkar was one obviously has played some great shots over the course of his career, no one doubts that. You don’t need to point out what ramiz, jackman, bradman etc said. It stinks of try hardness.

I’ve even given him credit for the on drive against shoaib which was yes sublime, but the edge was an edge. Not necessarily a top edge, but it was an edge, didn’t go where he intended. He was effectively beaten. A bigger boundary and he was out.

Find me one single cricket expert that described that shot as a top edge.

Find me one single cricket expert that described that shot as a top edge.
If you read earlier I said ok was not necessarily a top edge, but an edge it was!

Why are you guys so fixated on that one edge? Tendulkar played some fantastic shots that day, genuine ones that are unanimously good, celebrate them instead of trying to prove who knows what about an edgy six!

You cant claim to have a Point at all when the ground reality as exhibited by the public is in stark contrast to what you are trying to Portray.

After the 1999 WC loss Pakistani fans got into a proper brawl at the ground. And here yyou're trying to put up a brave face trying to pretend as though nothing happened. Plus I recall that there was a match fixing inquiry about that loss ... lol
Lol - there was a brawl after every game, even wins! You haven’t been to many pak matches in England in the 90s have you? India matches for some, not all was a good opportunity to just bash some Indians. Not saying I condone it, but it has nothing to do with the importance of the match.

If you read earlier I said ok was not necessarily a top edge, but an edge it was!

So it should be easy to find a genuine description to that effect from a proper Cricket expert ... right?

Why are you guys so fixated on that one edge? Tendulkar played some fantastic shots that day, genuine ones that are unanimously good, celebrate them instead of trying to prove who knows what about an edgy six!

Because you are trying to undermine that shot which is widely Recognized as an iconic moment.

So me as a serious Cricket fan go ahead and show me some credible Experts that agree with your description.

Express pace

Waqar

The era of Shoaib, Asif, Amir is nothing more than sheer lack of discipline and professionalism in Pakistan's cricket team. If that era is something you feel proud of, this pretty much explains the sorry state of Pakistan cricket.

WHy are we talking about Tendulkar here? This thread is about Waqar Younis.

Stay on topic.

Pakistan was never a fast bowling power house. The ball tampering and match fixing that was rampant in the late 80s and throughout 90s made Waqar and a few other average Pakistani pacers seem world class at the level of Wasim Akram when in fact they were not.

From 90s onwards this is my ranking pacers from Bharat-Pakistan

1. Shami
2. Bumrah
3. Wasim
4. Srinath
5. Zaheer
6. Waqar
7. Yadav
8. Amir
9. Ishant
10. Asif

Express pace

Waqar

Medium pacers are pacers too and there is no separate category for 145 kph bowlers and actually there is no pride in having run leaking Machines like Sami, Rauf, Gul.

Shoaib Akhtar is the only one amongst all your express pacers who actually made a name.

Waqar was no where near express, at the beginning of his career he was a 145-150kph bowler for 3 -4 years then became a 135-145 kph operator and ended with low 130s .

Waqar over the course of his career was not faster than Bumrah.

Also how were Imran and Wasim express how pacers?

Let me reiterate again in a different way .... your point has no legs to stand on when the actions of your fellow countrymen completely negate your views.

Medium pacers are pacers too and there is no separate category for 145 kph bowlers and actually there is no pride in having run leaking Machines like Sami, Rauf, Gul.

Shoaib Akhtar is the only one amongst all your express pacers who actually made a name.

Waqar was no where near express, at the beginning of his career he was a 145-150kph bowler for 3 -4 years then became a 135-145 kph operator and ended with low 130s .

Waqar over the course of his career was not faster than Bumrah.

Also how were Imran and Wasim express how pacers?
I don’t really care what keyboard warriors says about Waqar’s pace. It’s widely recognised he was express 1990-1996.

Imran was 3rd in the fast bowling competition of the 70s. All you kids only remember the 1992 World Cup when he was a 40 year old.

Wasim could crank it up whenever he wanted, just didn’t need to because he normally had an express bowler at the other end. This is why Imran told him to let rip in 1992 World Cup.

The talong your eyes off the ball fear was delicious when he was dismissed. Even kids don’t fear the ball that much!

As was the trembling “walk” of a non edge in 2006!
Shoaib Akhtar has nothing to do with thread.

CAN WE ALL STAY ON TOPIC WHICH IS ???? WAQAR YOUNIS, YES

Here are that serial choker’s performance against Australia in both Tests and ODI's -

Tests -

Innings - 20; Wickets - 30; Ave - 33.80; SR - 62.7

ODI's -

Innings - 30; Wickets - 29; Ave - 40.75; SR - 49.2

Back