View from the USA: Getting ready for ICC T20 World Cup 2024...

zn426

Tape Ball Captain
Runs
As a born and raised US citizen who still has his heart in Pakistan, I'm rather excited about the World Cup making its way over to the United States this year.

They opened the ticket request window last Wednesday and I entered the lottery for USA vs. Canada, USA Vs. Pakistan, Pakistan vs. India, and Pakistan vs. Ireland.

The ICC administration was also selling stadium packages that guarantee access to the Pakistan vs. India game along with all other matches at the stadium (which include one more Pakistan match and two more India matches that could be resold if someone wished), but those have already sold out.

I am hoping the miracle comes and I win in the lottery for Pakistan vs. India. Otherwise I will need to be happy with USA vs. Canada and USA vs. Pakistan. I like my chances for the latter two matches. I will probably be the only one in USA gear at both matches lol.

Anyone coming from PK for the matches? Is anyone here in the States buying tickets?

As a born and raised US citizen who still has his heart in Pakistan, I'm rather excited about the World Cup making its way over to the United States this year.

They opened the ticket request window last Wednesday and I entered the lottery for USA vs. Canada, USA Vs. Pakistan, Pakistan vs. India, and Pakistan vs. Ireland.

The ICC administration was also selling stadium packages that guarantee access to the Pakistan vs. India game along with all other matches at the stadium (which include one more Pakistan match and two more India matches that could be resold if someone wished), but those have already sold out.

I am hoping the miracle comes and I win in the lottery for Pakistan vs. India. Otherwise I will need to be happy with USA vs. Canada and USA vs. Pakistan. I like my chances for the latter two matches. I will probably be the only one in USA gear at both matches lol.

Anyone coming from PK for the matches? Is anyone here in the States buying tickets?
We are a group of friends from Texas planning to see the ind-pak m match. Obviously supporting ind - but it's just a game and will be fun to meet pak supporters and enjoy the game. In the NY, NJ area ind and pak folks especially the 1st generation guys who follow cricket are always friends and have no issues atleast in public lol! 😂

But for any USA games - absolutely rooting for USA as I am a US citizen- even against ind.. I don't know but personally I find it cringey to see ind or pak origin English or Australian citizens supporting their SC teams vs supporting Eng or Aus..hope the USA team puts in atleast a somewhat decent performance and not just get rolled over!

Also not even sure if the match will take place in NY. The stadium is supposed to be modular and hasn't even started yet.. Will believe it when I see it but not holding any high hopes

I live in the USA and am so excited for this world cup. Put in requests for all the Pakistan matches, as well as USA vs. Canada. Praying I get tickets to at least one match!

Will be coming from Montreal to watch either Pakistan vs Ireland in Florida or in New York Pak vs Ind.

We are a group of friends from Texas planning to see the ind-pak m match. Obviously supporting ind - but it's just a game and will be fun to meet pak supporters and enjoy the game. In the NY, NJ area ind and pak folks especially the 1st generation guys who follow cricket are always friends and have no issues atleast in public lol! 😂

But for any USA games - absolutely rooting for USA as I am a US citizen- even against ind.. I don't know but personally I find it cringey to see ind or pak origin English or Australian citizens supporting their SC teams vs supporting Eng or Aus..hope the USA team puts in atleast a somewhat decent performance and not just get rolled over!
If I make it out to the PK vs. India match certainly hope to meet you face to face. Let's PM after we find out the results of the draw on Thursday (I think that's when they will announce the lottery results).

I will be supporting US vs. Canada and vs. Pakistan as well although I may be one of the few in the stands supporting USA. This tournament is as much for US cricket fans as it is for Pakistanis and Indians to finally get to watch their teams.

Are you in Dallas? First matches of the tournament will be there.

Timings would be quite abrupt for subcontinent countries but yeah it's cricket and the craze for this game can keep you up.

Lots and lots of cricket in recent times. Waiting for just the Indo-Pak clash. rest is all normal.

Nice post by the OP.

Good luck for the lottery hope you get the tickets.

I've seen a few Indo Pak games and the fun and banter is just something else. Hopefully it is a good day for all US fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I make it out to the PK vs. India match certainly hope to meet you face to face. Let's PM after we find out the results of the draw on Thursday (I think that's when they will announce the lottery results).

I will be supporting US vs. Canada and vs. Pakistan as well although I may be one of the few in the stands supporting USA. This tournament is as much for US cricket fans as it is for Pakistanis and Indians to finally get to watch their teams.

Are you in Dallas? First matches of the tournament will be there.
Hope the games go through in NY! I think the USA games will have all the local ind pak and SC people unitedly cheering for the USA except for games vs ind snd pak - which should make for fantastic viewing. The usa team will anyway be a combo of ind pak and wi cricketers !
And yes the US will have less support for games vs ind and pak. Can guarantee you even the ind origin Americans or Ind origin US citizens will support ind in the usa-ind game. If i attend that game - for sure i will be in the minority supporting the usa team lol !
And I am actually in Houston. And the local club cricket here has close to 50 plus teams for every age! Guys in the 40s 50s etc playing! and competing with guys in their 20s.. that in a nutshell is the essence of cricket and sport in general..

Anyone got any email regarding ballot for tickets for World T20? It says 7-10 days after ballot closing, so should be today or tomorrow.

I got ballout for A2 vs D1, in Antigua, I basically wanted to watch a Pakistan match, so i applied for a1 and a2 as well, and group stage, I basically need to hope Pakistan finish 2nd in the group

I got ballout for A2 vs D1, in Antigua, I basically wanted to watch a Pakistan match, so i applied for a1 and a2 as well, and group stage, I basically need to hope Pakistan finish 2nd in the group

Congrats. Didn't get a single one. I could understand not getting PK vs. India or even some of the other PK matches. I would have thought USA vs. Canada was achievable. guess not. Resellers are grossly inflated right now, hoping they will drop as some of the hawkers realize the demand for the lesser matches won't be there.

So who has brought some tickets for the T20 World Cup in the Caribbean?

It has been nothing short of shambles and very un-organised.

The tickets took months to come out and then a ballot was done with a few days notice.

The ballot ended yesterday with general sale being tomorrow but it seems like general sale is today and right now which is infuriating as I managed to get 3 matches during the ballot and needed one semi and final during the general sale but the final is now a sell out.

I travelled to Aus for the 2022 WC and that was smooth, this has been a joke!

How any anyone else got on trying to purchase tickets and if so, which matches are you going to?

As per some social media posts, the ICC ballot has been a disaster?

As per some social media posts, the ICC ballot has been a disaster?
Very much so and the circus continues as today is meant to be general sale day according to the official Windies Cricket Board website but no mention or confirmation on official ticketing site or via email. A pure disaster especially for those looking to travel from abroad.

Pak India tickets are still not available on Icc website. I don’t get it, all tickets were supposed to be on sale today. Smh

Is it just me that thought the entire ticketing system was pretty good?
How was it good? I been logged in since morning and still no Pak vs India tickets available, when all ticket we’re supposed to be on sale? Why are they holding them back? Makes no sense.

How was it good? I been logged in since morning and still no Pak vs India tickets available, when all ticket we’re supposed to be on sale? Why are they holding them back? Makes no sense.
It was always a miniscule chance for anyone to get tickets to Pakistan/India. They got 3 million ballots and I'm certain the vast majority put in request for that match, it was over 200x oversubscribed.

It was always a miniscule chance for anyone to get tickets to Pakistan/India. They got 3 million ballots and I'm certain the vast majority put in request for that match, it was over 200x oversubscribed.
Ballot was supposed to hold a small portion of the tickets, if I’m not wrong. Rest were supposed to go on sale today!

Ballot was supposed to hold a small portion of the tickets, if I’m not wrong. Rest were supposed to go on sale today!
I think if I understand correctly, the ballots were the first go at all the tickets. The successful ballots had a chance to get their requested allotment, then the remainder was open to those who had failed ballots, then anything left was open for general sale today

Huge Ticket Demand For India-Pakistan Cricket Blockbuster In New York

The much-hyped cricket match between bitter foes India and Pakistan in New York has been unsurprisingly the hottest ticket ahead of the historic T20 World Cup co-hosted by the U.S. with demand reaching unprecedented levels.

Tickets for this year's biggest cricket event opened through a public ballot with the seven-day window closing on February 7. Remaining tickets went on sale on Thursday, which marked just 100 days to go until the first cricket World Cup is staged in the world's biggest sports market.

But there are no tickets left for nine of the 16 matches scheduled in the U.S with Dallas and Fort Lauderdale also hosting games. As expected there was a frenzy for the India-Pakistan match on June 9 which was oversubscribed more than 200 times the allocation, according to the International Cricket Council.

"There is no data point like ticket sales to showcase the level of enthusiasm that’s out there and we’re thrilled with the support we’re seeing," T20 World Cup USA chief executive Brett Jones said.

"The 2024 T20 World Cup is going to fundamentally change the game of cricket in the U.S. and it’s our job to capitalize on this moment."

A standard ticket for the India-Pakistan match in New York cost $175, while the standard plus is priced at $300 and premium rises to $400.

The remarkable demand underlines the bedlam for the contest between the nuclear-armed foes and vindicates the decision from the authorities to ensure that the match is played in New York.

With such long-held dreams for cricket to crack the American market, with momentum building in recent years marked by the launch of Major League Cricket, every effort was made for money spinners India to play their early matches in the U.S. rather than the Caribbean - traditional cricket terrain.

And it was rather inevitable that India-Pakistan was fixtured for New York to lift cricket's most fierce rivalry to new heights - and hype. There is no doubt this match would have sold out even if the ground's capacity was 100,000.

But given the lack of cricket grounds in the cricket backwater, with the popular British Commonwealth sport played on unique dimensions, New York slate of matches will be played at the 34,000-seat modular stadium in Eisenhower Park, which is 30 miles east of Manhattan.

The first glimpse of Nassau County Stadium was revealed last month with the venue to host eight matches. There is set to be just one warm-up game in late May before the ground's first match on June 3 between South Africa and Sri Lanka.

But all eyes in the cricket world- and surely from intrigued locals - will be when India and Pakistan do battle in a contest that is much more than just about cricket.

Given the intense political situation, they've fought three wars since becoming independent nations in 1947, India and Pakistan sadly rarely play each other in cricket. Only in major events do they clash with administrators doing everything they can to milk this ridiculously hyped contest.

Matches between the countries have reached hundreds of millions viewers on the broadcast to underline the financial stakes every time they meet.

It has all meant that anticipation will be at fever pitch when India and Pakistan renew their rivalry in a world famous city that few imagined would ever host such a major cricket match.

And those lucky enough to secure coveted tickets will see a new chapter added in what will be the most watched sporting match to hit the U.S. in 2024.

SOURCE: https://www.forbes.com/sites/trista...cket-blockbuster-in-new-york/?sh=45c113ea3b18

India Pakistan games are crowd puller and no doubt that organizers will cash in on this opportunity.

---------------------

India and Pakistan drive US ticket demand for T20 World Cup

The highly anticipated clash in New York between cricket rivals Pakistan and India was over-subscribed by 200 times in the public ballot for tickets, the International Cricket Council said.

The 34,000-seat temporary venue, Nassau County International Cricket Stadium on Long Island, has yet to be completed but is already assured of a sell out crowd for the June 9 encounter.

The tournament is being co-hosted by the West Indies and the United States.

While big crowds are expected in the traditional cricket countries in the Caribbean, this will be the first time that an international tournament is held in the United States with the 16 games in the country also including matches in Lauderhill, South Florida and Grand Prairie Stadium, near Dallas.

"We had amazing ticket interest. The ballot process showed there's a really big demand," T20 World Cup USA, Inc. chief executive Brett Jones told AFP on Friday.

"India-Pakistan is obviously a game that at every World Cup carries great interest. I think it's really pleasing to see those two countries come to the USA," he added.

Powerhouses India and Pakistan will play all their group games in the USA and are sure to attract packed crowds from the diaspora living in the country.

While organizers hope that they can "convert" some Americans to the game, they are well aware that there is already huge interest among immigrant populations and their focus is on serving those fans.

"I think, number one, we want to celebrate those that are already fanatical lovers of cricket. They deserve to see the best players in the world come into their backyard and have that chance," said Jones.

"So, number one, we want to make sure that happens and they get to feel like they're close to a game they love. Number two, I think it's about spiking curiosity in the game," he said.

Americans have never fallen for the charms of cricket, preferring baseball for their bat and ball action, but the sport is set to get an unprecedented platform in the country with the T20 format, including in the Los Angeles Olympics in four year's time.

"Obviously there's a great runway to the Olympics in LA in 28 and then on into Brisbane in 2032 for cricket, which again will keep it in the global view and the consciousness of a big country like the US. I think we've got those two things working for us," said Jones.

"We're saying we want to reward our cricket fans and lovers of cricket in the US, which is a huge market.

"Then we want to spike curiosity and really hopefully start a bigger conversation about the game and its benefits at the community level," he added.

Ireland, Sri Lanka, South Africa, the Netherlands, Bangladesh and Canada will also play in the USA along with the host nation themselves.

While there is no lack of interest, organizers still have plenty to do to create the facilities and infrastructure needed for a global tournament.

Lauderhill, just outside Fort Lauderdale, has already played home to international cricket matches but is undergoing significant upgrades.

Grand Prairie opened last year as the venue for the new domestic tournament, Major League Cricket, but is also being enhanced for the tournament.

"We're still going to have a lot of work to do to make sure we can provide access to our cricket fans," Jones said.

"We want to show people that in a sports-mad country that demands entertainment, cricket is a great entertainment product," he added.

The tournament will start on June 1 with the USA facing Canada in Texas.

USA vice-captain Aaron Jones says he hopes the team's performances will offer inspiration to youngsters starting out in the sport.

"We want to show everybody in the world that the USA can be a cricketing country as well and be a role model for kids coming up," he said.

SOURCE: https://www.france24.com/en/live-ne...stan-drive-us-ticket-demand-for-t20-world-cup

Last edited:
Gayle hopes T20 World Cup can help cricket crack US market

The Twenty20 showpiece, which starts on June 1, is being jointly hosted by the United States and Gayle's native West Indies, where big crowds are expected.

But it will be the first major international cricket tournament staged in the United States, with a sell-out crowd expected for the clash between arch-rivals India and Pakistan at a temporary 34,000-seat venue in Long Island, New York.

Gayle believes the success of last year's inaugural Major League Cricket, a US-based T20 franchise competition, has given the game a foothold in America.

"The ICC (International Cricket Council) has been trying to get cricket on a global scale within the USA," Gayle told AFP in an interview marking 100 days to go until the start of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024.

"India v Pakistan is in New York, I'm sure it's going to be phenomenal.

"They (the USA) had a T20 tournament last year and it was a success. It's a big market, we just have to hope it will be a success within the United States."

West Indies have pedigree in limited-overs cricket, winning the first two men's one-day international World Cups in 1975 and 1979, but they failed even to qualify for last year's 50-over tournament in India.

"We missed out on the 50-over World Cup so this will be something fantastic for the guys to actually play for something," said Gayle, speaking via video call from Barbados.

"We just want to be in the (June 29) final here in Barbados. Anything is possible when you make it to the final."

"I'm excited for the people, to actually see a bit of cricket," added big-hitting opener Gayle, who in 2007 became the first batsman to score a T20 international century.

The 44-year-old, a member of the West Indies teams that become T20 world champions in 2012 and 2016, said the current side had enough "options and experience" to relieve holders England of their title, even though they are a lowly seventh in the world rankings.

'Struggle'

The West Indies lost their recent ODI series in Australia 3-0 and went down 2-1 in the T20 series but they drew the Test series 1-1 as an under-strength team won a thiller in Brisbane by just eight runs against the reigning world champions in the five-day format.

It was the first time West Indies -- who dominated Test cricket in the 1980s and 1990s -- had won a Test in Australia since 1997 and Gayle said it was huge achievement for the side.

"The adrenaline, the excitement, to beat Australia (in a Test) after so many years, you know I've been a part of that struggle as well as a captain in Australia.

"To be able to get that win, in that fantastic manner as well, is something superb.

"To see the likes of (batting great) Brian Lara when he was actually doing the (television) commentary, how excited he was, we saw (former batsman) Carl Hooper shed tears as well."

One pressing issue for global cricket chiefs is that top players no longer need to play internationals to make a living in an era of worldwide franchise competitions.

Former West Indies captain Jason Holder missed the Test series in Australia to play T20 cricket in the United Arab Emirates instead.

Gayle, one of the original globe-trotting T20 "guns for hire", who had several run-ins with Caribbean cricket chiefs over availability, said it was down to administrators to rebalance the schedule.

"I'm in favour always of the players making their earnings, it's their livelihood, it's their job," he said.

"Cricket is actually a big business, so we can't beat down on a player to choose a franchise over his particular country, because there's no loyalty from both sides.

"There's just too much cricket and it takes away a bit from international cricket, unless there's two big teams playing. They just need to structure it a bit better to make sure both teams are competitive when they are going against each other at international level."

SOURCE: AFP

Additional ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 tickets, including semi-finals, set to be released​

ICC announces the release of additional public tickets, including for matches previously unavailable, along with premium hospitality packages​

Additional tickets for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 in the West Indies and USA will be available for purchase from Tuesday (19 March), the ICC announced.

Fans can currently purchase tickets for 37 matches, but the tickets for 13 additional matches – including for the semi-finals – will be made available on Tuesday at 10 am AST/2:00 pm GMT , meaning tickets for 51 of the 55 matches will be up for grabs.

Prices start at from as low as US$6 for select games in the Caribbean, and from US$35 at USA venues.

The 13 additional matches, across seven venues, are:

• Brian Lara Cricket Academy, Trinidad and Tobago: Semi-Final 1 (26 Jun)
  • Broward County Stadium, Lauderhill: Pakistan v Ireland (16 Jun)
  • Grand Prairie Cricket Stadium, Dallas: Netherlands v Nepal (4 Jun), United States v Pakistan (6 June), Sri Lanka v Bangladesh (7 Jun)
  • Guyana National Stadium, Guyana: Semi-Final 2 (27 Jun)
  • Kensington Oval, Barbados: C1 v A1 – Super Eight (20 Jun), A2 v C2 – Super Eight (21 Jun), A2 v B1 – Super Eight (23 Jun)
  • Nassau County International Cricket Stadium, New York: India v Ireland (5 Jun), United States v India (12 Jun)
  • Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, Antigua and Barbuda: A2 v D1 – Super Eight (19 Jun), A1 v D2 – Super Eight (22 Jun)
Tickets have been in high demand for the event – more than 3 million ticket applications were received during the ballot.

The expansion of public tickets will be another step in ensuring that supporters have every opportunity to experience the T20 World Cup in person. “We are delighted to have worked with our commercial partners to be able to release these additional tickets to 51 matches to ensure that we are accommodating as many fans as possible at every ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 fixture," said Chris Tetley, the ICC Head of Events.

Along with the tickets, hospitality packages will also be available for purchase, offering fans a premium experience at the matches, including private suites and individual food and beverage packages across the venues in the West Indies as well as the Nassau County International Stadium in New York.

Packages for Grand Prairie Cricket Stadium and Broward County Stadium will be released at a later date.

The 2024 T20 World Cup will be the biggest event in the format so far, comprising 20 teams who will play 55 games across nine venues.

This is the first time USA is hosting the event, with 16 games being played across three venues.

ICC

USA Cricket (USAC) is pleased to announce two high-stake international T20 home series featuring the Men’s National Team ahead of its preparation for the crucial 2024 ICC T20 World Cup. In April, Team USA will face Canada in a pivotal five-match T20I series, followed up by an intense three-match T20I series against Bangladesh in May. All the games will be played at Prairie View Cricket Complex (PVCC) in Houston, Texas.

The lineup of matches for the men’s national team was confirmed after USAC’s successful discussions with Cricket Canada, Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) and ICC. These tours will also aim to strengthen USAC’s bilateral ties with respective boards and offer more such playing opportunities for its teams in the future.

Commenting on the development, Mr. Venu Pisike, Chairman of USA Cricket, said: “Ahead of the important Men’s T20 World Cup, these games will be vital for our team to get their working combinations, build team cohesion, and fine-tune strategies. I’d also like to thank ICC, Cricket Canada and the Bangladesh Cricket Board who offered their full support in scheduling of the matches.”

Thanking the USAC for its support, Mr. Nizam Uddin Chowdhury, Chief Executive Officer, Bangladesh Cricket Board, said : “The Bangladesh Team’s upcoming tour of the USA marks a historic occasion in the realm of cricket. This T20I series signifies a momentous opportunity for the cricketers of both nations to showcase their talent and passion for the sport.

For the Bangladesh Team, this tour serves as an ideal platform to acclimatize to the conditions ahead of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024. We recognize the significance of this preparatory phase and are committed to making the most of this invaluable experience.

Moreover, we extend our wholehearted support to USA Cricket in its endeavors to promote and develop cricket within its burgeoning market. The growth of cricket in the USA is not only commendable but also holds immense potential for the sport’s global expansion.

There is a massive Bangladesh community in the USA and North America, and I am sure the fans will come in numbers to enjoy the matches, adding to the vibrant atmosphere and fervor of the games.

We express our sincere gratitude to USA Cricket for graciously hosting the Bangladesh Team and facilitating this momentous tour. We eagerly anticipate the opportunity to reciprocate your hospitality in the near future.”

Mr. Ingleton Liburd, General Manager, Cricket Canada, added: “We are thrilled to have the upcoming T20I series with the USA as we start our preparations for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, West Indies & USA. Cricket Canada and USA Cricket has had a long standing relationship, therefore these matches help to solidify our relations as we look forward to playing more cricket across all levels.”

LY8xTmp.png

I think the timing of the games are just ridiculous. 9 and 10 in the morning? Really? Clearly ICC has no intention of spreading/advertising cricket to US. If they did, these games would be prime time.

Any time i see India meeting Pakistan in an unusual venue it looks like an exhibition match. Should have hade the match in one of the WI grounds.

ICC Men's T20 World Cup Trophy Tour 2024 launched in New York

The iconic Empire State Building lights up as countdown to 'Out of this World' T20 World Cup begins in New York.​

Two-time T20 World Cup champion Chris Gayle and USA bowler Ali Khan lit up the Empire State Building in New York to launch the Trophy Tour for the upcoming tournament.
The ninth edition of the Men's T20 World Cup begins on 1 June 2024 and will be played across the USA and West Indies.

The official launch of the Trophy Tour for the event took place at the famous Empire State Building in New York as the iconic skyscraper lit up in navy and pink - the official tournament colours – with Chris Gayle pulling the lever to illuminate the structure.

Cricket lights up New York's Empire State Building
Ali Khan and Chris Gayle with the ICC Men's T20WC Trophy and the view of downtown Manhattan
Chris Gayle at the top of the Empire State Building with the MT20WC Trophy
Chris Gayle and Ali Khan pulling the lever down to light up the Empire State Building
460A5409
460A5327

This will be the first ICC event taking place in the United States and will occur across three venues – the brand new 34,000-seater Nassau County International Stadium in New York, the rennovated Grand Prairie Cricket Stadium in Dallas and the Broward County Stadium in Lauderhill.
New York will host eight matches, while the other two venues will host four games each.
West Indies, who are the co-hosts of the event, will have matches taking place at iconic venues such as Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Guyana, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad and Tobago.

The Trophy Tour will reach 15 countries across four continents passing sporting teams and stadia, famous landmarks and legendary cricketers to invite fans to participate in the 'Out of this World' cricket festival and glimpse at T20 World Cup's most coveted prize.

In addition to these 15 countries, the Trophy will also visit emerging Americas cricket countries like Argentina, Brazil and Canada to entice new fans to the sport.

"With less than three months to go until the first ball of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024, there is huge anticipation for what will be a historic event for cricket in the Americas," said Claire Furlong, ICC General Manager, Marketing and Communications.

"As we countdown to the World Cup, the Trophy Tour provides fans with the opportunity to be part of the event in locations across the globe. The Tour will travel extensively across the Americas, igniting the passion of both new and existing fans to share in the excitement of T20 cricket's pinnacle global event coming to the region and what better way to kick it off than by lighting up one of the world’s most iconic buildings in one of the world’s most iconic cities.

"Cricket has more than a billion fans and we want to give as many people as possible the opportunity to get up close with the trophy that will be lifted by the winning captain in Barbados on 29 June.”
Fans around the world will be able to follow the Trophy Tour via ICC's social media channels and the T20 World Cup site.

Source: ICC

T20 World Cup stars can boost US cricket, says ex-England quick Plunkett

England World Cup winner Liam Plunkett says cricket superstars such as Virat Kohli and Babar Azam can help bolster the game in the United States when it hosts the T20 World Cup.

The Twenty20 showpiece, which starts on June 1, is being jointly staged by the United States and the West Indies.

It will be the first major international cricket tournament played in the US, with a sell-out crowd expected for the clash between arch-rivals India and Pakistan at a temporary 34,000-seat venue in Long Island, New York.

That match could feature a dramatic face-off between two of the world's best batsmen in India's Kohli and Pakistan's Azam.

"I know it's hard to get tickets," Plunkett told AFP in a video call from Philadelphia. "People are asking me for tickets, like I'm Ticketmaster or something. I've got nothing to do with it.

"I'm sure there will be a resale value. People are trying to sell it for $1,500 and people are buying the tickets for that, which is crazy to think.

"I said to someone, 'If you had Babar Azam and Virat Kohli stood next to (NBA star) LeBron James, the queues for the cricketers would be just as long or not longer'. They are so massive around the world.

"People don't believe that. People in America don't realise that more people watch India v Pakistan than watch the (NFL) Super Bowl, which is crazy."

Plunkett, 38, played in last year's inaugural edition of Major League Cricket (MLC), a US-based franchise tournament that used the same short and sharp 20-overs-per-side format as the upcoming global showpiece.

"It was successful," said Plunkett, speaking with fewer than 100 days to go until the start of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024.

"In terms of the spectacle, I felt I could have been anywhere in the world playing franchise cricket," added the former Durham and Yorkshire paceman, who played for the San Francisco Unicorns.

England can 'catch fire'

Until last year, England were reigning world champions in both one-day (50-over) and Twenty20 international cricket.

But the defence of their 50-over crown, which Plunkett helped them win on home soil in 2019, ended in disappointment in India, where they failed to reach the knockout stages.

"Obviously they (England) didn't perform in the last 50-over World Cup," said Plunkett.

"But they've got some of the best players in the world. If they catch fire they can change games. Jos (captain Jos Buttler) struggled last time, but if Jos turns up he can be player of the World Cup."

The last of Plunkett's 124 international appearances across all formats came in the memorable 2019 World Cup final at Lord's, where England beat New Zealand in a sudden-death "Super Over" to become world champions in the one-day international format for the first time.

"I was very lucky to play with the best white-ball team that's come out of England, very fortunate that I helped to win that World Cup with a group of guys who have been very successful," he said.

"England can always be better at managing people towards the back end of their career. But every time I played for England, whether it was at the start or at the end, I loved that experience."

Now Plunkett, who has been plagued by back and calf injuries, is contemplating whether his body can stand up to the rigours of one more season of MLC, with the less stressful Masters and Legends circuit another option.

Longer-term, having based himself in the United States after marrying his American-born wife, Plunkett is also keen to play a part in the local cricket scene after he has hung up his boots by setting up a cricket academy.

"The good thing about being here is to help cricket in the community, he said. "I love it here, I've been here with my girlfriend, now wife. I'm happy living in the States."

SOURCE: AFP

Australia open to extra spinner in T20 World Cup squad. Australia are eyeing a third spinner apart from Adam Zampa and Glenn Maxwell in the squad for the upcoming ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024.

Despite missing out from the central contracts announced on Thursday, spinner Ashton Agar is firmly in the mix for the upcoming ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024 in the Caribbean Islands and USA, according to Australia Men's selection chairman, George Bailey.

Agar was among the big absentees in the 23-member contract list announced, but with conditions expected to aid spinners, Bailey felt that there was the option for a third spinner, aside from Adam Zampa and Glenn Maxwell, to be included in the 15-member squad for the tournament.

"The balance of the squad will probably lend itself to having that second spinner there," Bailey told reporters.

"It still seems hard for everyone to get their head around the fact Glenn Maxwell's a pretty handy white-ball spinner and we don't necessarily consider him a part-time option, he's one that we consider a frontline option.

"So 'Zamps' will clearly be there, and I think there will be an opportunity potentially for one more.

"We will come together at the end of April to put a squad together for that and both Stoin [Stoinis] and Ash Agar [Ashton Agar] will be firmly in the mix for the squad."

Agar is Australia's second-highest wicket-taker in T20Is behind Zampa (92 wickets) with 48 wickets at an average of 22.35.

But Agar hasn't played a T20I since the T20 World Cup game against Sri Lanka in 2022, when he replaced a Covid-infected Zampa.

He will face stiff competition from leg-spinner Tanveer Sangha, who featured in seven T20Is for Australia since the last T20 World Cup at home. Sangha picked up 10 wickets in these games, the same as Zampa, who played in eight matches.

Spin-bowling all-rounder Matthew Short is another option up Australia's sleeve. Unlike Sangha and Agar, Short was also awarded a central contract for the upcoming season.

Chris Green, the off-spinner who debuted against India last year, is the only other spinner aside from Zampa, Maxwell, Short, and Sangha, to have played in T20Is for Australia since the last T20 World Cup.

Source: ICC

Cricket popularity in USA has been on the rise in the last few years and after the upcoming T20 World Cup in USA, its popularity is set to increase at a much faster pace.

Sean Paul and Kes team up for official anthem of ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024

Grammy Award winner Sean Paul and Soca superstar Kes are set to join forces for the official anthem of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024.

The ICC today announced the official anthem news with 50 days out from the first ball at the tournament on 1 June, held in the West Indies and the USA.

Set for launch in the coming weeks, the track is produced by Michael “Tano” Montano and will be accompanied by the song’s film clip, featuring several well-known superstars.

A leading figure in the music industry for over two decades, the widely-acclaimed Sean Paul says he hopes to capture the essence of Caribbean music with a touch of international flair.

“Cricket has always been a major part of our culture, so I'm honoured to record the official anthem for the T20 World Cup.”

“I'm a big fan of Kes and the track will feature a nice touch of the Caribbean, with some dance, to an international vibe and of course Soca - it will be a real anthem for people to sing out and feel the spirit of unity.”

Kees Dieffenthaller, known to the world as Kes and the lead singer of Trinidad and Tobago-based Kes the Band, intends to bring a unique vibe to the tournament via the anthem.

"Our mission has always been about bringing worlds together, so blending cricket, (dear to us in the Caribbean), with music is a powerful combination. Shoutout to Sean Paul, Tano, and the whole team for creating this musical vibe.

“Can't wait for everyone to sing along to this worldwide anthem and bring the party to stadiums across the West Indies and USA."

ICC General Manager, Marketing and Communications Claire Furlong looks forward to the work of the artists in a song that will appeal to cricket fans the world over.

“We are delighted to have two globally recognised artists who are at the top of their genres in Sean Paul and Kes produce our tournament anthem, which will set the tone for the biggest cricket carnival spectacle ever.

“Fans can expect a song that will reflect the Caribbean identity, while retaining universal appeal for global cricket fans, themed around the event’s marketing campaign ‘Out of this World’”.

The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Trophy Tour 2024 will continue in the lead-up to the tournament, moving to Barbados, the venue of the tournament final on 29 June, after previous visits to parts of the USA and South America.

ICC

Probably won't be able to catch half the games!

Timings showing up as 1.30 am in the night!

Probably won't be able to catch half the games!

Timings showing up as 1.30 am in the night!
The timings are ridiculous for locals. Let alone for people in other time zones. I mean a bunch of games starting at 10 in the morning. Actually, I think most big team games are that way. Even the finals is a 10am local start time.

The timings are ridiculous for locals. Let alone for people in other time zones. I mean a bunch of games starting at 10 in the morning. Actually, I think most big team games are that way. Even the finals is a 10am local start time.
The reality is it is catered to the Ind Pak Ban SC market. 10am local US time is 7.30pm prime time SC time.. matches the time slots for t20 games. The big games are scheduled for weekends mostly - so even for a 10am start they will be sold out. But the other non big team games will see veey sparse crowds. I think this is more of an experiment by the ICC to see the feasibility of the US market going forward- a trial and run method

Timings might be odd but I think we will have housefuls quite often especially in the Caribbean region because the crowd there is pretty exciting. USA market is also pretty good for cricket nowadays as compared to few years ago.

The reality is it is catered to the Ind Pak Ban SC market. 10am local US time is 7.30pm prime time SC time.. matches the time slots for t20 games. The big games are scheduled for weekends mostly - so even for a 10am start they will be sold out. But the other non big team games will see veey sparse crowds. I think this is more of an experiment by the ICC to see the feasibility of the US market going forward- a trial and run method
This is not the way for the ICC to spread the game in the US. Who is going to go to the game or watch it at home at 10 in the morning? Even earlier going west.

Only people who are already cricket fans. These people will watch anytime. They do not need to be catered to. If ICC wants/looking to pull in new fans, then primetime is the way to go.

But this is the ICC we are talking about. Their interests are all about pocketing India/BCCI money. Very little of anything else.

Timings might be odd but I think we will have housefuls quite often especially in the Caribbean region because the crowd there is pretty exciting. USA market is also pretty good for cricket nowadays as compared to few years ago.
The timings are designed to not pull in any new fans. The existing cricket fans in the US will watch no matter what time.

I would say the US is the fourth largest revenue market currently behind Ind, Eng and Aus.

As per media reports, there is a possibility that the 2024 ICC T20 World Cup trophy will be brought to Pakistan next month.

Pakistan Cricket Board and the International Cricket Council are finalizing the dates for the trophy tour as the PCB is keen to bring the T20 trophy during the Pakistan-New Zealand series.

As per media reports, there is a possibility that the 2024 ICC T20 World Cup trophy will be brought to Pakistan next month.

Pakistan Cricket Board and the International Cricket Council are finalizing the dates for the trophy tour as the PCB is keen to bring the T20 trophy during the Pakistan-New Zealand series.
The best way to win this trophy is for Pakistan not to let the trophy leave the country. :ROFLMAO:

It'll be a failure just like 2007. You need Indian viewers and USA/WI will be the worst timezone for that.

New Adventure is fine but they went too much from the golden goose in my opinion.

I could only manage to get tickets for the Pak v US game but very much looking forward to it! Feel free to dm me if anyone else is also going to that game.

I think PCB should be more focussed on winning that trophy and bringing it home rather than trying to bring the trophy here for show-off. these small things don't matter. What matters is to win this thing.

The NY pitch for then ind pak encounter will be similar to Adelaide as per report. But i am not sure if the stadium will be fully complete before then.

The 2024 T20 World Cup is less than 50 days away. Set to be hosted in the West Indies and USA, this year's T20 World Cup will involve 20 teams, and is set to be biggest edition to date.

Most interestingly, USA will host 16 matches across the tournament in three venues — Central Broward Regional Park Stadium in Florida, Grand Prairie Stadium in Texas and Nassau County International Cricket Stadium in New York.

The Nassau County stadium in particular has been of interest to cricket fans, especially in the subcontinent.

Not only is it a pop-up stadium still under construction for the World Cup, it will also host one of the much-anticipated games of the tournament — India vs Pakistan.

Given that the stadium is still under construction, there's a lot of mystery surrounding how the wicket will play and if the stadium can host a match like India vs Pakistan.

Brett Jones, ICC Men's T20 World Cup USA CEO, has shed some light on the challenges they have faced in preparing the Nassau County stadium for such high-profile matches in a freewheeling chat with The Sporting News.

He also touched on what to expect from the pitch at New York, and how it might play in the India vs Pakistan game.

Battling snow and record rains: How Nassau County stadium is getting T20 World Cup ready

Jones, a former Western Australian cricketer and an AFL star, says that the local organising committee has done a tremendous job in conceptualising a pop-up stadium inspired by Olympic Games venues and F1 racetracks.

"It is a temporary stadium. The inspiration has come from, I guess, Olympic games, golf courses, Formula One," he said.

"It's similar to infrastructure used at those sort of events where large crowd numbers need to be housed. And we're lucky to be working with teams that have worked across a lot of those major events over the last 20, 30 years and have become quite refined at understanding how to use temporary infrastructure to create really great atmospheres and stadium fields for fans attending sporting events," Jones explained.

There were plenty of pictures floated on social media showing the Nassau County ground covered by snow and mud recently.

Addressing those issues, Jones revealed that the team working on the stadium had to battle record rains and freezing temperatures. However, that has not affected the stadium construction and he expects it to be ready well in advance of the World Cup.

The team's done an amazing job here from conceptualizing a pop-up stadium to pitch preparation. Everything is going really well. But they've battled record rain in March. I think we had over 10 inches (of rain), which was a record. We had snow on the ground through the early parts of late February. So, the team's done an excellent job to be where they are now.

How will the drop-in pitch at Nassau County stadium behave for T20 World Cup?

The Nassau County stadium is set to host eight games during the 2024 T20 World Cup and one of them is the big-ticket India vs Pakistan clash.

Naturally, there is plenty of intrigue around how the pitch at the stadium will behave given that it is a pop-up venue.

Jones explained that the organising committee have roped in Damien Hoff, the lead curator at the famous Adelaide Oval in Australia, to help with the pitch preparations in New York.

It will be a drop-in wicket at Nassau County, which is pretty much in line with what happens with many established cricket grounds these days.

"So, Damien Hoff, who's the Adelaide Oval Head Curator, was engaged in late 2023. He travelled to the US and has basically advised and overseen the preparation of the drop-in wickets. So, there'll be a drop-in wicket solution in Nassau County," Jones revealed.

"Those drop-in wickets are currently being grown in Florida where the weather's been warm ever since December. (It's) allowed the grass to really grow in and get a pitch block that's really firmed up. So, that's had multiple inspections. It's probably exceeding expectations in terms of the quality and growth that's happened on those wickets."

Jones also added that the drop-in wickets will be transported to Nassau County towards the end of April.

"Towards the end of the month of April, those wickets will be transported up to the US with the weather getting to the right temperature up here, up to the northeast of the US, I should say. And we'll place those wickets into the field."

He also had a bit of insight into the how the wicket might behave:

(It will behave) no differently than they do with the MCG or the Adelaide Oval, or anywhere else that where they use drop-in technology. We think it will play very similarly to wickets that Damien's prepared before. And the Adelaide Oval's got a great track record.

"We feel very lucky to have Damien involved in the project," Jones added. "I think he and his team have done a great job with the US-based team as well. And, yeah, we're really comfortable in terms of how it plays.

"So, that's where we sit from that point of view in terms of overall with Nassau County and the venue. We're really excited, I think."

When is India vs Pakistan match at 2024 T20 World Cup?

The India vs Pakistan T20 World Cup game at Nassau County stadium is scheduled for 9 June 2024. The game is set to start at 14:30 GMT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cricket-Bowlers with 'X-factor' will hold key in T20 World Cup, says Sammy

With T20 cricket becoming increasingly more batter-dominated, bowlers with the 'X-factor' could make all the difference in the World Cup in June, West Indies head coach Daren Sammy told Reuters.

The batting bias of cricket's shortest format is evident in the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL), where 200-plus scores have become a routine and 300 does not look impossible anymore.

Sammy, who captained West Indies to both their T20 World Cup titles, expected the batting carnage to continue in the June showpiece.

"Bowlers have been under the pump," the former all-rounder said in a telephone interview from his T20 World Cup trophy tour in Saint Lucia.

"It's not just the young bowlers, every single international bowler has been under pressure.

"Look at the IPL right now. Teams are scoring 200 and it's not a safe total. It tells you that the batsmen are really dominating T20 cricket now."

While teams would pack their squads with power-hitters, Sammy reckoned bowlers with unconventional skills or action could prove crucial in the June 1-29 tournament.

"The difference will be some X-factor bowlers," the 40-year-old said.

"Whether that's pace, whether that's mystery spin - you'd need that in your armoury in order to defend totals or restrict opponents."

I think consistency is a huge,

The other way to silence the blazing bats would be with raw pace, he said.

"Pace is pace," Sammy said citing the importance of Lasith Malinga in Sri Lanka's victory in the 2014 T20 World Cup, and the roles Fidel Edwards, Jerome Taylor and Ravi Rampaul played under his captaincy.

"Whether the wicket is spin-friendly or seam-friendly, genuine pace will always create doubts in the batsman's mind.

"To have that in your armoury is always a plus," Sammy added.

From a batting point of view, Sammy said the current West Indies team were comparable to the sides that won the World Cups under his captaincy.

Their bowling, however, would depend a lot on how their all-rounders contribute.

"Obviously I'd love to have the 'X-factor' that I had in 2012 and 2016, when I had two bowlers ranked among the top five. We don't have that now.

"What we do have is Akeal Hosein, who's ranked number three. We also have (Gudakesh) Motie, who's very effective in the middle overs," he said of his spin attack.

"We have guys like (pacer) Alzarri Joseph and the all-rounders that we had in 2016 as well, who could use the conditions to our advantage."

West Indies captain Rovman Powell recently said they were trying to talk veteran spinner Sunil Narine, also an explosive opener, out of retirement.

Sammy, who recalled senior players including Andre Russell and Shimron Hetmyer since taking charge, was not sure about Narine's availability.

"You've seen experienced guys coming back into the squad. I had the same conversation with Narine," he said.

"We still continue to chat, but at the end of the day, if he is retired, he's not available for selection."

West Indies will co-host the tournament with the United States.

REUTERS

Cricket-Bowlers with 'X-factor' will hold key in T20 World Cup, says Sammy

With T20 cricket becoming increasingly more batter-dominated, bowlers with the 'X-factor' could make all the difference in the World Cup in June, West Indies head coach Daren Sammy told Reuters.

The batting bias of cricket's shortest format is evident in the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL), where 200-plus scores have become a routine and 300 does not look impossible anymore.

Sammy, who captained West Indies to both their T20 World Cup titles, expected the batting carnage to continue in the June showpiece.

"Bowlers have been under the pump," the former all-rounder said in a telephone interview from his T20 World Cup trophy tour in Saint Lucia.

"It's not just the young bowlers, every single international bowler has been under pressure.

"Look at the IPL right now. Teams are scoring 200 and it's not a safe total. It tells you that the batsmen are really dominating T20 cricket now."

While teams would pack their squads with power-hitters, Sammy reckoned bowlers with unconventional skills or action could prove crucial in the June 1-29 tournament.

"The difference will be some X-factor bowlers," the 40-year-old said.

"Whether that's pace, whether that's mystery spin - you'd need that in your armoury in order to defend totals or restrict opponents."

I think consistency is a huge,

The other way to silence the blazing bats would be with raw pace, he said.

"Pace is pace," Sammy said citing the importance of Lasith Malinga in Sri Lanka's victory in the 2014 T20 World Cup, and the roles Fidel Edwards, Jerome Taylor and Ravi Rampaul played under his captaincy.

"Whether the wicket is spin-friendly or seam-friendly, genuine pace will always create doubts in the batsman's mind.

"To have that in your armoury is always a plus," Sammy added.

From a batting point of view, Sammy said the current West Indies team were comparable to the sides that won the World Cups under his captaincy.

Their bowling, however, would depend a lot on how their all-rounders contribute.

"Obviously I'd love to have the 'X-factor' that I had in 2012 and 2016, when I had two bowlers ranked among the top five. We don't have that now.

"What we do have is Akeal Hosein, who's ranked number three. We also have (Gudakesh) Motie, who's very effective in the middle overs," he said of his spin attack.

"We have guys like (pacer) Alzarri Joseph and the all-rounders that we had in 2016 as well, who could use the conditions to our advantage."

West Indies captain Rovman Powell recently said they were trying to talk veteran spinner Sunil Narine, also an explosive opener, out of retirement.

Sammy, who recalled senior players including Andre Russell and Shimron Hetmyer since taking charge, was not sure about Narine's availability.

"You've seen experienced guys coming back into the squad. I had the same conversation with Narine," he said.

"We still continue to chat, but at the end of the day, if he is retired, he's not available for selection."

West Indies will co-host the tournament with the United States.

REUTERS
Mostly spinners will domminate as condition would be very much simliar to the asian conditions so yeah Asian sides would have a better chances to do well in this world cup

Mostly spinners will domminate as condition would be very much simliar to the asian conditions so yeah Asian sides would have a better chances to do well in this world cup
Spinners thought that they would be dominating in India as well but I would say that Spinners were not up to the mark there. In the end, Asian side were nowhere apart from the home team(as expected). So I think, it will be more of a balanced fight in USA and windies both.

New York Cricket Stadium Set To Cost $30 Million As Anticipation Builds For T20 World Cup

New York's cricket stadium, which is being purposefully built for June's T20 World Cup and will host the money-spinning India and Pakistan blockbuster, will cost around $30 million, according to sources, with tournament officials confident on a return of investment.

The 34,000-seat modular Nassau County Stadium in Eisenhower Park, 30 miles east of Manhattan, is currently under construction ahead of the T20 World Cup starting on June 1 with an opening match between the U.S. and Canada in Dallas.

New York will host eight games in the group stage with its first match on June 3 between South Africa and Sri Lanka, while cricket powerhouse India will play against Ireland, Pakistan and the U.S.

There has been a tight timeline with construction starting less than three months ago. It is set to be completed in early May with a test event on the 27th.

The stadium is expected to cost T20 Incorporated, the entity established in the U.S. to deliver the event with governing body USA Cricket amid ongoing tumult, around $30 million but officials are understood to be confident that costs will be comfortably recouped through ticketing and hospitality.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) declined to comment on costings.

It is unsurprising that India, cricket's undisputed powerhouse, will be mostly based in New York during the tournament's early stages marked by the marquee fixture with rival Pakistan on June 9.

Top of Form

Bottom of Form

Previous contests over the past decade have been watched by a viewership of between 300-500 million, with the intense rivalry milked at ICC events as the teams do not play against each other in bilateral cricket due to political differences.

The New York match between foes has predictably been the hottest ticket of the tournament after being oversubscribed more than 200 times the allocation in the public ballot. A standard ticket cost $175, while the standard plus was priced at $300 and premium rose to $400.

Resale tickets on StubHub are currently starting at $2000, while there have been reports on social media of exorbitant hospitality packages.

It is understood that discussions are being held over third party use of the ground post the T20 World Cup.

Cricket infrastructure has been needed to be built given the sport's uniquely shaped grounds. Baseball fields are difficult to convert due to its narrow dimensions.

Finding suitable infrastructure in New York had proven troublesome. Initially, there had been plans to develop a 34,000-seat stadium in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. New York City Mayor Eric Adams supported the divisive proposal, with critics opposing the loss of public space to a private tournament.

But Eisenhower Park, a purpose-built sports and events park, has filled the breach with architectural design firm Populous tasked with developing this much-hyped stadium.

The grandstands, previously used for the Formula 1 Las Vegas Grand Prix, have been repurposed, while all the matches will be played during the day with no floodlights installed.

A drop-in pitch was built in Florida under the guidance of experienced curator Damian Hough, who is based in Adelaide, Australia.

The U.S. has been deemed a target market by the sport's power brokers, with the ICC stating there are already 50 million cricket fans in a country with growing South Asian communities.

It has led to significant, potentially game-changing developments hoped to finally put U.S. on the cricket map, including the launch of well-heeled T20 franchise league Major League Cricket, which surpassed financial expectations in its debut season last year.

After being at the heart of grandiose proposals for some time - former Australia cricket boss James Sutherland once had a rather audacious idea for the T20 World Cup to be held at Central Park - New York will finally be at the center of cricket in June.

SOURCE: https://www.forbes.com/sites/trista...ion-builds-for-t20-world-cup/?sh=20a47051594a

The International Cricket Council (ICC) have announced Olympic legend Usain Bolt as an ambassador for the upcoming ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, which will be played in the West Indies and USA from 1-29 June 2024.

The announcement comes a few weeks ahead of the start of the biggest cricket carnival spectacle ever that will inspire a new generation of fans. Bolt’s global appeal alongside his out of this world athletic achievements and ability to transcend boundaries makes him a perfect fit for the biggest T20 World Cup ever.

Bolt created history at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio when he achieved the ‘Triple-Triple’, three gold medals at three consecutive Olympic Games. His journey to worldwide stardom started at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing where he won the 100m, 200m and 4x100m, all in world record times.

Bolt currently holds world records in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m with times of 9.58 secs, 19.19 secs and 36.84 secs. His first world record was in the 100m in 2008 when he posted a time of 9.72 secs in New York. He lowered it to 9.69 secs at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing and then to 9.58 secs at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin. He holds the three fastest times ever run: 9.58, 9.64 and 9.69 seconds.

As an ambassador, Bolt will play a key role in promoting the event, starting with a cameo appearance in next week’s release of the event’s official anthem music video alongside iconic artists Sean Paul and Kes. The eight-time Olympic Gold Medallist will also attend T20 World Cup matches in the West Indies and be part of fan engagement events promoting the sport within the United States.

Usain Bolt expressed his excitement about his new role, saying: "I am thrilled to be an ambassador for the upcoming ICC Men’s T20 World Cup. Coming from the Caribbean where cricket is a part of life, the sport has always held a special place in my heart, and I look forward to attending West Indies matches at the World Cup and making a contribution to the growth of cricket globally.

“While I will of course be supporting West Indies at the World Cup, getting the sport into the US is big for cricket. It’s the biggest sports market in the world and the energy that we will bring for the T20 World Cup is a huge opportunity leading towards cricket’s inclusion in the LA Olympics in 2028.”

ICC Chief Executive Officer, Geoff Allardice said: "Usain Bolt is a global icon, we are thrilled to have him on board as an Ambassador for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 to engage with a new generation of fans. His passion for cricket is well known, making him the perfect fit for this role. Alongside his world record breaking achievements and energetic personality, he will add another exciting element to the World Cup.”

The cricket pitches shipped from Australia to the US​

The pitches used in the United States at this summer's men's T20 World Cup will have had quite the journey when the first ball is bowled at the tournament - being transported over 14,000 miles.

They have come in by ship from Adelaide in Australia, via Florida, as organisers run a major global cricket tournament in the USA for the very first time.

Matches will be played at bespoke venues in New York, Texas and Florida.

The opening game between USA and Canada, and the biggest game of the group stages, India versus Pakistan, will both be played in the States.

There are 16 matches being played in the US, with the other 39 being held in the West Indies.

And getting the States ready for cricket is quite the undertaking, especially when it comes to preparing cricket pitches.

"Our aim is to produce pitches that have pace and consistent bounce, on which the players can play their shots," said Adelaide Oval pitch curator Damian Hough, who has been tasked with growing pitches in Australia and transporting them to the US.

"We want entertaining cricket, but there are challenges."

Work on the 10 drop-in pitches started at the beginning of October 2023 when they were initially planted in trays. Each pitch was split into two trays, with the end aim being the production of four match-ready pitches and six practice strips.

A clay-like soil, which is also used at baseball venues in the US, is being used together with a particular grass which is suited to warmer climates and resistant to rolling and heavy use.

The trays were transported in a shipping container on a boat from Adelaide to Florida in January. They have since grown in a warm climate - New York was enduring freezing temperatures at the time - prior to being taken by road to their eventual destination.

To limit the time they are on the back of a lorry, two drivers will be employed to drive each vehicle, limiting the need to stop for breaks.

It will then take Hough and his team 12 hours to bed the pitch in at the venues, some of which are being purpose built for the tournament.

"I have mixed feelings," said Hough, who is a guest on this week's Stumped podcast.

"I'm really excited, but I'm a bit anxious at the same time - there are still unknowns.

"This is a long process. What we do know is we've given it our best shot.

"We've thoroughly thought through every possible outcome and issue along the way and we're hoping that they're going to be some good cricket pitches."

Yuvraj Singh named ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 Ambassador

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has announced India legend Yuvraj Singh as an ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 Ambassador, with just 36 days to go until the pinnacle global event for T20 cricket gets underway.

Yuvraj, who famously hit 36 runs in an over during the first ever T20 World Cup in 2007 which he and India ultimately won, will attend a range of exciting World Cup promotional events in the United States in the lead-up to and during the T20 showpiece, including the highly anticipated India versus Pakistan fixture in New York on 9 June.

Yuvraj Singh, ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2007 champion, said: "Some of my fondest cricketing memories have come from playing at the T20 World Cup, including hitting six sixes in an over, so it’s very exciting to be part of this edition, which is set to be the biggest one yet.

“The West Indies is a great place to play cricket with the fans coming to watch creating a vibe that is completely unique to that part of the world, while cricket is also expanding in the USA and I’m excited to be part of that growth through the T20 World Cup.

“India’s clash against Pakistan in New York is going to be one of the biggest sporting fixtures in the world this year, so it’s a privilege to be a part of and to witness the best players in the world playing in a new stadium.”

Claire Furlong, ICC General Manager - Marketing & Communications, said: “It’s an honour to have Yuvraj as an ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Ambassador. His name is synonymous with the T20 World Cup, owning one of the event’s most iconic moments when he became the first player to hit six sixes in a T20 International. He joins Chris Gayle and Usain Bolt as the first ambassadors to be announced, who will each add to the excitement of what will be the biggest T20 World Cup ever.”

The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup will be played from 1-29 June with co-hosts USA taking on Canada in the opening fixture at Grand Prairie Stadium in Texas. A total of 55 matches will be played by 20 teams across 9 venues, culminating in the final on 29 June in Barbados.

The historic first match at the Nassau County International Cricket Stadium will be played on 3 June between 2014 champions Sri Lanka and South Africa with 10 teams to feature across eight matches in New York.

ICC

The ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024 Trophy reached National Cricket Academy, Lahore today

lpOG5To.png

So who has brought some tickets for the T20 World Cup in the Caribbean?

It has been nothing short of shambles and very un-organised.

The tickets took months to come out and then a ballot was done with a few days notice.

The ballot ended yesterday with general sale being tomorrow but it seems like general sale is today and right now which is infuriating as I managed to get 3 matches during the ballot and needed one semi and final during the general sale but the final is now a sell out.

I travelled to Aus for the 2022 WC and that was smooth, this has been a joke!

How any anyone else got on trying to purchase tickets and if so, which matches are you going to?

As a Pakistani fan, two things need to happen for us to buy tickets for the matches in the caribean.
1. We have no idea if Pak will qualify for the next round from first round. They lose to India and another upset to Ireland. We will be done.

2. Even if we do qualify, we don't know where we will be playing.

Register as an Indian fan and you will be guaranteed Pak/Ind tickets.

Good luck with the lottery however and am glad you will get to see some high level cricket in a deprived land

Back