Vincent Kompany

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Jun 1, 2001
Runs
96,060
Match of the Day's Alan Hansen feels tackling will be lost to the game if Vincent Kompany's red card is upheld.

Manchester City are appealing against the decision to send off the defender in the 2-0 defeat of Arsenal.

Hansen says Kompany's challenge on Jack Wilshere was the "perfect tackle".

And he told the Telegraph: "If Manchester City fail to get Vincent Kompany's red card against Arsenal rescinded it will send out the message that tackling has gone forever."

Kompany was dismissed by referee Mike Dean in the 75th minute having won the ball after going to ground and raised his studs to do so.

The former Liverpool and Scotland defender added: "In my opinion, there is absolutely no doubt that, not only did Kompany win the ball, it was just about the perfect tackle.

"I will be flabbergasted and astonished if referee Mike Dean decides to stand by his decision to dismiss the Manchester City captain following Kompany's challenge on Jack Wilshere.

"I believe that it is an absolute certainty that Kompany will be cleared by the FA, though.

"His challenge was not two-footed and the ball was won cleanly, so I do not understand how the referee could even contemplate issuing a red card.

"It would have been strange to see a yellow card brandished, never mind a red."

Hansen's view is supported by BBC Sport's Robbie Savage, who regularly made similar tackles during his playing days with Leicester, Birmingham and Blackburn.

He said: "Vincent Kompany's red card was completely wrong. If you start sending people off for challenges like that, then the game is gone.

"I would never have been able to have had a career. The law says that it is a red card if a player is reckless or out of control but, if you look at Kompany, then he was in control.

"He did not use excess force, either, because it was a perfectly timed tackle.

"At times, when you tackle your other foot does come off the floor - I must have made over a thousand slide-tackles in my career and don't think there has been a single time where one foot made the tackle and the other stayed on the floor.

"I defy anyone to make a high-speed tackle and keep both feet on the ground - one foot has to come off the floor at some point."

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini felt the official made a mistake in sending Kompany off and confirmed the club will appeal against the decision.

He said: "We will do an appeal and I think we can win, because it's easy, it is correct.

"But we have a problem because we're missing a lot of players. Now we are losing him for three games, but I don't think we should."

Kompany took to Twitter to defend the challenge on the young Arsenal midfielder.

He tweeted: "If the ball is overrun by the opponent and a 50/50 challenge occurs, [a] collision is inevitable."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21009420
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Joke of a decision and it will be a bigger joke if it isn't rescinded

2 years running Kompany has been screwed by referees
 
Wasnt a red card and if tackles like that are being punished then football might as well just become a non-contact sport.

Am glad the card was recinded.
 
Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs and Ashley Cole were among the stars to play in Vincent Kompany's testimonial as a Manchester City legends XI drew 2-2 with a Premier League legends side.

The 33-year-old, who joined Anderlecht in the summer, played no part at Etihad Stadium due to a hamstring injury.

Martin Petrov put City ahead from an acute angle but Robbie Keane equalised.

Robin van Persie fired the Premier League side ahead from long range but Benjani's header gave City a draw.

The money raised from the friendly will go towards Tackle4MCR, a charity Kompany set up with Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham to help with homelessness in the city.

Earlier in the day, City announced they had commissioned a sculpture of Kompany to be built outside the Etihad, while a road within the club's training ground has been renamed Vincent Kompany Crescent.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49669371
 
<b>Vincent Kompany in talks with Burnley over managerial vacancy</b>

Vincent Kompany is in discussions to become Burnley's next permanent manager, The Athletic understands.

The former Manchester City centre-back, 36, is thought to be part of a three-man shortlist with Burnley hoping to have a manager in place by the end of next week.

He is understood to still be up for the challenge despite Burnley's relegation to the Championship.

Kompany left his managerial role at Anderlecht by mutual consent on Wednesday after two seasons with the Belgian side.

Anderlecht ended the 2021-22 regular season in third. They also finished third in the play-offs.

Kompany, who won four Premier League titles with Manchester City during his 11-year spell in England, left the Ethiad Stadium in 2019.

He was originally appointed as player-manager but stepped down from on-pitch managerial duties after a poor start to the 2019-20 campaign.

Kompany then took over the full-time reins when he retired in August 2020.

Burnley lost their Premier League status on Sunday when their 2-1 defeat by Newcastle United sent them down to the second tier.

The Clarets had been in the top flight since 2016.

Sean Dyche had been in the Turf Moor hot seat since October 2012 but was sacked last month as Burnley were in the relegation zone with eight games to go.

Mike Jackson was named caretaker manager but was unable to turn around Burnley's fortunes.

Burnley claimed 10 points from their first four games under Jackson but then failed to win any of their last four.

https://theathletic.com/news/vincent-kompany-burnley/OxDWKh0MoVF0/
 
Burnley have appointed former Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany as their manager.

The Belgian, 36, had been in charge at Anderlecht for two years before leaving by mutual consent in May, having led them to a third-place finish.

The Clarets sacked Sean Dyche in April and replaced him with interim boss Mike Jackson, who was unable to prevent relegation from the Premier League.

"I'm excited by the challenge ahead," Kompany said following his appointment.

"Burnley Football Club is a truly historic English side and it is an honour to be appointed first-team manager.

"I've been impressed by the board's vision for the club which aligns with my own and I look forward to playing my part as we enter an important season."

Former Belgium international Kompany spent 11 years at City, where he won 10 major trophies - including four Premier League titles.

His appointment comes amid Burnley's financial troubles. The Clarets had received a £65m loan with American finance company MSD Holdings, a 'significant proportion' of which now has to be repaid after falling out of the top flight.

BBC
 
Good luck to him trying to get Burnley back in PL.
 
Good luck to him trying to get Burnley back in PL.

He's done it!

==

For some time it has been a case of when rather than if Burnley would be promoted from the Championship.

Vincent Kompany came in last summer with the club short on confidence having been relegated from the Premier League and with a large amount of debt.

But the former Manchester City captain has transformed the Clarets into the most dominant side in the second tier.

After their win over Middlesbrough returned them to the big time, BBC Sport takes a look at how they did it.

Kompany responsible for a transformation at Burnley
Kompany, 36, returned to English football following two years in charge of Belgian side Anderlecht before leaving by mutual consent at the end of last season.

His arrival at Turf Moor raised some eyebrows, given his time in England as a player with City was confined to the Premier League. But the appointment showed that Burnley meant business.

The club had been relegated from the top flight after a miserable season and their drop to the second tier coincided with having to pay off a "significant proportion" of a £65m loan from American finance company MSD Holdings.

The sales of several senior players helped towards that, with England goalkeeper Nick Pope moving to Newcastle, defender Nathan Collins joining Wolves and winger Dwight McNeill being sold to Everton. Long-serving defenders Ben Mee and James Tarkowski also left on free transfers to join Brentford and Everton respectively.

In came a number of players from Belgium, including midfielder Josh Cullen from Anderlecht and winger Anass Zaroury from Charleroi.

Burnley also turned to the loan market to bring in forward Nathan Tella from Southampton and Chelsea full-back Ian Maatsen, while Kompany utilised his Manchester City contacts to recruit goalkeeper Ari Muric and defender Taylor Harwood-Bellis.

It says a lot, however, that the way in which Kompany has led the side has meant that their financial troubles have been completely overshadowed.

What could have been another forgettable campaign has proved quite the opposite, although Kompany did need some time to pick up some momentum.

Having beaten Huddersfield in the opening game of the season, Burnley drew three and lost one of their next four games, including letting a 3-1 lead slip against Lancashire rivals Blackpool in a feisty encounter at Turf Moor.

Having overhauled previous boss Sean Dyche's squad into his own image, Kompany's side grew stronger and have so far been beaten just once more in the league all season.

"They have been unbelievable this season," former Burnley winger Glen Little, who is part of BBC Lancashire's commentary team, said.

"So much has changed from the Dyche squad of last year, with Kompany introducing more than 20 players, from a range of countries that they'd never been shopping in before.

"The impact that some of them have made has been almost instant, and astute loan signings like top scorer Tella from Southampton have also helped.

"The club really has been transformed with the changes that Kompany has made and the style of play that he has introduced. Neutrals are now commenting just how good it is to watch Burnley play.

"They've lost only twice all season, they've scored more and conceded less than any other team in the Championship and the aim now will be to add to the young squad they have, to make sure that they return to the top flight and stay there."

Burnley's sensational form has seen them build a magnificent 19-game unbeaten run in the league, with their most recent Championship defeat coming against fellow promotion chasers Sheffield United in early November.

They have continued their domineering momentum ever since and continued where they left off following the World Cup break.

"Burnley's promotion back to the Premier League has looked a certainty since they returned from the World Cup break with nine straight wins in the Championship," BBC Radio Lancashire's sports editor Andy Bayes said.

"They've done it with style and swagger, with goals aplenty and entertainment pretty much guaranteed.

"The Clarets weren't always easy on the eye under Sean Dyche but they regularly met their target of maintaining their top-flight status.

"The change in style under Vincent Kompany has been obvious from day one. Fast-flowing football and playing out from the back have been the staple diet.

"He's been backed in the transfer market and introduced a number of players, who, perhaps weren't household names before their arrivals. It'll be intriguing to see how the likes of Manuel Benson, Zaroury and Cullen perform at the highest level next term."

Despite dipping into the transfer market, Kompany kept a core of senior players and ensured they could all work together.

The strategy paid dividends as the club head towards being the first team since Newcastle United's 2009-10 squad to go through an entire Championship season unbeaten at home on the way to sealing the second tier title.

"It has not all been new faces that have revelled under Kompany's coaching," Bayes added. "Charlie Taylor, a left-back by trade, has played largely as a centre back, Jay Rodriguez and Ashley Barnes have both led the line well, with Josh Brownhill and Jack Cork patrolling the midfield.

"Loan signings have proved important too. Harwood-Bellis, Maatsen and Tella are three examples who look ready to step up.

"Naturally next season will be a far tougher challenge for Kompany and his team. Both the manager and the players are rightly gaining plaudits.

"For a squad that's gone under enormous change, they've done incredibly well to make what's looked light work of the Championship - and you wouldn't expect to see them back anytime soon."

BBC
 
Last edited:
Burnley boss Vincent Kompany has signed a new five-year contract to remain with the Championship title winners until the summer of 2028.

The 37-year-old led the Clarets back to the Premier League at his first attempt this season, having joined in 2022.

The club could become the first Championship side to break the 100-point mark since Leicester in 2013-14 when they face Cardiff on Monday.

"Burnley and Turf Moor felt right pretty much from the start," he said.

"So it also feels right to sign for the next five years.

"Together with the fans, we have made Turf Moor a fortress again and continue to look forward to the future and the job of making Burnley better with every step."

Kompany has transformed the fortunes of a club that was short of confidence, having been relegated from the Premier League last season.

They have lost on just three occasions in the league, just once at home, so far this term.

Such has been their dominance that, headed into the final game of the season on Monday, the Clarets command a 19-point gap on third-placed Luton Town.

"He is the perfect fit for how we all see Burnley Football Club moving forward," club chairman Alan Pace said.

"An extraordinary leader, setting ever higher standards and driving our club to the levels we all want to achieve."

Kompany's new contract comes two days after Burnley had a transfer embargo lifted.

It was imposed after a late submission of their accounts because of a change of auditor.
 
Back
Top