Wahab Riaz appointed as Chief Selector for Pakistan

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Former Pakistan fast bowler Wahab Riaz has been appointed as the chief selector of the national men’s selection committee. His first assignment will be the selection of the national men’s squad for the three-match Test series against Australia from 14 December to 7 January in Australia and the five-match T20I series against New Zealand from 12 to 21 January in New Zealand.

Wahab, who made his international debut in 2008, represented Pakistan in 27 Tests, 91 ODIs and 36 T20Is picking up 237 wickets and scoring 1200 runs across the three formats. He was Pakistan’s second-most successful bowler in World Cups, registering 35 wickets across three editions of the marquee event.

Wahab Riaz: “I am honoured to assume the role of chairperson for the national men's selection committee and I extend my gratitude to Chairman PCB Management Committee, Mr Zaka Ashraf, for entrusting me with this responsibility. The decision to involve former players in cricketing matters is commendable and I am willing to work for the betterment of Pakistan cricket.

“Heading a selection committee is a challenging task. We have a significant Australia tour coming up that is part of the ICC World Test Championship 2023-25 cycle and a T20I series against New Zealand that will allow us to develop a formidable unit leading up to the ICC T20 World Cup in the USA and West Indies in June next year.

“I have a good rapport with the Pakistan Men’s Team Director Mohammad Hafeez and we will be working closely for the success of Pakistan cricket. My primary goal would be to give weightage to the top performers in domestic cricket and announce well-rounded squads equipped with the necessary skillsets. I will always be available to the players for feedback and advice."

Is this the right move by PCB? Can Wahab Riaz bring improvement?

IMG-20231117-WA0033.jpg

To be fair it's better to get in the recently retired guys than the oldies like inzi who are not in touch with the game like these recently retired guys are. If we want the 90's cricket then the likes of inzi are perfect

Fingers crossed it can't be worse then the previous regime
InshaAllah

He was a good modern standard cricketer/athlete who has played plenty of T20 cricket around the world. He should know, understand modern standards

I hope he doesn't use the platform for revenge against the individuals who decided to end his career and the players who replaced him.

I hope he doesn't use the platform for revenge against the individuals who decided to end his career and the players who replaced him.
Maybe he should

Because those players have done great injustice to many others as well.

Let's hope that he is the opposite of Inzama and Wasim and select players on merit rather than the dosti quota

If he lives up to that than Rizwan, Shadab and Imam can say bye bye to international cricket

Interesting. Tbh I forward this.

Wahab is hot headed and he'll take revenge on those who took revenge on him and the people who took revenge on him have destroyed our cricket.

Wahab is hot headed and he'll take revenge on those who took revenge on him and the people who took revenge on him have destroyed our cricket.
Bhai lets hope you are right. A retribution is in order for all those who were ranged by Misbah and his cronies

People took revenge on him ? How ? He was terrible bowler, Pak dropped him and shehzad and won CT'17.

Wahab seems quite influential, ambassador Hair Club Pakistan, caretaker sports minister, TV pundit and now Chief Selector, a cat has nine lives Wahab also on the same path

Will be interesting to see what he does, i hope he can select the right players, for the right formats and for the right conditions. Best of luck Wahab lets see what you can do

He'll be better then inzi trust. But Idk if He'll be a goat or anything

He's > our current bowling unit, his wc spells prove that.
Wahab bowling bowling averages are 34.8 in tests, 34.4 in ODIs and 28.9 in T20s.

Also, the world cup spell I remember from him is VS West Indies where have 47 of last 18 balls he bowled.

Wahab bowling bowling averages are 34.8 in tests, 34.4 in ODIs and 28.9 in T20s.

Also, the world cup spell I remember from him is VS West Indies where have 47 of last 18 balls he bowled.
So the West Indies spell nullifies his India, sa and aus spell?

And what is rauf then? We gonna ignore his ability to give centuries to the batsmen?

Wahab seems quite influential, ambassador Hair Club Pakistan, caretaker sports minister, TV pundit and now Chief Selector, a cat has nine lives Wahab also on the same path
He has played all the ODI world cups ever since he debuted. Despite beating his record of mediocrity every time he played.

So the West Indies spell nullifies his India, sa and aus spell?

And what is rauf then? We gonna ignore his ability to give centuries to the batsmen?
Who compared him with Rauf both are crap.

Bdw vs Ind 1/77, vs Aus 1/44 and vs SA 3/46 which mostly included tail ender.

Guy has played 20 matches in WC and taken 26 wickets, if that's the level of expectation you have, then there is no point discussing.

Sharjeel Khan, Fakhar Zaman as our ODI, T20 openers with Saim Ayub one down. Make it happen Wahab

Okay wahab trash, bad riaz bad.

Happy?
One of the world records he holds for Pak.

I don't have any personal issues with him, just because present bunch have not faired as per expectations, that doesn't make him or any other ex player saint.

IMG_0116.jpeg

One of the world records he holds for Pak.

I don't have any personal issues with him, just because present bunch have not faired as per expectations, that doesn't make him or any other ex player saint.

View attachment 139204
Brother you need to stop strawmanning.

I claimed he's > our current unit, not that he's a Magical atg. I'm not responding to you cause you're formulating an argument on a counter point that doesn't exist lol.

Brother you need to stop strawmanning.

I claimed he's > our current unit, not that he's a Magical atg. I'm not responding to you cause you're formulating an argument on a counter point that doesn't exist lol.
The answer is NO. He is equal to Rauf in ODIs and worst than the other current lot.

FYI Wahab Riaz has parted ways with PZ

Wahab Riaz parts ways with Zalmi as Chief Selector now

4UNajao.png

Wahab Riaz's message after being appointed Pakistan Cricket Chief Selector:

"I would like to thank the PCB as well as Zaka Ashraf, who has given me this opportunity so that I can work for the Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan cricket.

We are a young team. I have taken retirement recently and so has Mohammad Hafeez. And we want to produce modern cricket. We will try to put heads together to take Pakistan to the level where people want to see it. I think we are a wonderful team with many talented boys. They are the top performers in Pakistan and I think with the influence of Mohammad Hafeez, he will guide them really well.

[Selection for the Australia and New Zealand tour] is now the first assignment, it is right at the corner. We need to announce early.

Message for all the players: I believe we have to give more respect to our domestic cricket and domestic structure. I think the performers of domestic cricket, especially red ball performers, have to taken along with us. And I believe whoever is doing well in domestic cricket will try to give them their roles and identification. And everyone will get a clear message that we are watching them and how we can utilize them in the team.

I think about the things that have happened in the past. We want to bring new change to this system. So InshaAllah will try to create a level of communication and trust. Any player can come and talk to me. And I will be available to answer them."

Aside from a couple spells in WC’s he was a horrible horrible bowler. To his credit, he was a very passionate individual though. No clue what to expect from him as chief selector. Wish him all the best.

He has said the right things, let's see if he can deliver!

Maybe he should

Because those players have done great injustice to many others as well.
Then he would end up going to the same disastrous root that Aamir Sohel went. It didn't do any good to Pak cricket 20 years ago & won't have any positive effect today. However he should absolutely get rid of frauds, con artists, reel making court jesters & freeloaders (Imam, Hasan, Nawaz).

This is another good decision from PCB. Wahab has recently retired, so he knows the players well. One more thing as he said he will focus on domestic and red ball cricket. Now let's see whether he sticks to his words or not.

Then he would end up going to the same disastrous root that Aamir Sohel went. It didn't do any good to Pak cricket 20 years ago & won't have any positive effect today. However he should absolutely get rid of frauds, con artists, reel making court jesters & freeloaders (Imam, Hasan, Nawaz).

Now changes have been made in PCB. So give them some time to show their abilities.

Wahab Riaz's message after being appointed Pakistan Cricket Chief Selector:

"I would like to thank the PCB as well as Zaka Ashraf, who has given me this opportunity so that I can work for the Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan cricket.

We are a young team. I have taken retirement recently and so has Mohammad Hafeez. And we want to produce modern cricket. We will try to put heads together to take Pakistan to the level where people want to see it. I think we are a wonderful team with many talented boys. They are the top performers in Pakistan and I think with the influence of Mohammad Hafeez, he will guide them really well.

[Selection for the Australia and New Zealand tour] is now the first assignment, it is right at the corner. We need to announce early.

Message for all the players: I believe we have to give more respect to our domestic cricket and domestic structure. I think the performers of domestic cricket, especially red ball performers, have to taken along with us. And I believe whoever is doing well in domestic cricket will try to give them their roles and identification. And everyone will get a clear message that we are watching them and how we can utilize them in the team.

I think about the things that have happened in the past. We want to bring new change to this system. So InshaAllah will try to create a level of communication and trust. Any player can come and talk to me. And I will be available to answer them."
Wahab you will have my full respect if you select an odi and a test team based on domestic cricket rather than PSL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wahab needs to resign as Sports Minister, that is a big conflict of interest.

Now changes have been made in PCB. So give them some time to show their abilities.
Of course. I just hope Wahab & Hafeez keep their personal frustrations & vendetta aside. No doubt like a lot of senior players in last 3-4 years they too have been disrespected & ill treated by the clique. Now they have a golden opportunity to make a fresh start & finally move the team & system towards positivity.

Sharjeel Khan, Fakhar Zaman as our ODI, T20 openers with Saim Ayub one down. Make it happen Wahab
Under Hafeez there is no place for any prev corrupted players. Sharjeel can stay at home.

Wahab, Hafeez, Tanvir. Cool.

To be honest the PCB could pick anyone as long as the PCB themselves fulfill their obligation as an employer as provide these guys with the right tools to do their roles to the best of their own abilities.

From my limited knowledge none of these guys have any formal qualifications/experience in the roles they will be doing. That in itself isn't an issue. As an employer you either employ someone who has all the qualifications needed to do a job or you find the right person and train/teach them.

The PCB are confident it seems that they have the right people this time. Whether that is correct remains to be seen. So now PCB its over to you. Are you going to give these guys the appropriate standard of training to be successful or are you simply going to wait for them to fail and then churn them out again.

Sadly I think we all know the answer to this...but we can live in hope.

Not that he can't succeed, I wish him good luck but has he ever even selected a playing xi as a captain in any format? Half the team would consist of his friends and to even hope that a recent cricketer would be able to keep his biases away is hoping against hope.

"if your father is not influential in the country, it's not your fault. But if your father in law isn't an influential person, it is your fault." - Ch Bill Gates.

CS role has very little to do with how good bowler Wahab was during his playing days. He may turn out to be good or not so good, but it's not related with his skills as bowler. I don't think it needs to be discussed. Skillset needed for CS and bowler is not the same.

consistently gave his country and team his absolute best effort every time on and off field, a genuine role model. no doubt Wahab will do the same in this role. Best of luck! will

A big shock coming with Shoaib Malik is his 43rd comeback in 24 years, after he is senior. Wahab played it safe first up by saying domestic red ball performers will be acknowledged, and if now they flopped he'll say we picked them on merit.

Time for Australian batsmen to bolster their averages free runs on offer, Pakistan attack will be a mixture of rookies and noobs

Has Wahab ever been part of a selection committee in his life? Does he have experience from a relevant position that would have given him equivalent insight into selecting a team? It's so difficult to understand these appointments. Same questions for Hafeez being appointed head coach of Pakistan cricket team.

Who knows how well Wahab & Hafeez will perform but one thing I will say is, they both have an understanding of what is required in the modern game. They've played in leagues all over the world and are well aware how modern batting needs to be built. Hope would be they instill that with this team.

Interesting choice and one that could work.

Wahab is still playing, should know the players and be in-touch with the upcoming players.

Interesting choice and one that could work.

Wahab is still playing, should know the players and be in-touch with the upcoming players.
Saj, do you know what the criteria is for being a selector in Pakistan or other countries? It just seems like anyone can be appointed to it.

Saj, do you know what the criteria is for being a selector in Pakistan or other countries? It just seems like anyone can be appointed to it.
Like most things in Pakistan cricket - no criteria.

Chairman has advisors who suggest names to him. He then gets advice from former players etc

Hopefully he can select with a modern approach
We will probably see a 4 man pace attack more often from now on too

Wahab Riaz has to be the biggest parchi ever in the history of Pakistan cricket.

1. Got selected to play for Pakistan when he wasn't good enough
2. Was part of the infamous no-ball spot-fixing scandal. Wahab Riaz managed to weasel out of it, but I have no doubt in my mind that he was a part of it.
3. Retires and is made sports minister
4. Made selector without any credible experience

This guy has some strong backing behind him.

Wahab Riaz has to be the biggest parchi ever in the history of Pakistan cricket.

1. Got selected to play for Pakistan when he wasn't good enough
2. Was part of the infamous no-ball spot-fixing scandal. Wahab Riaz managed to weasel out of it, but I have no doubt in my mind that he was a part of it.
3. Retires and is made sports minister
4. Made selector without any credible experience

This guy has some strong backing behind him.
Misbah’s favorite bowler.

I'm willing to give Aitchison another chance even though he has shown the effects of the hormone Pakisterone in the past.

Let’s see what he selects for T20

We will know what direction this is heading
Which Direction is that? the damage has already been done by making Shaan Masood the Test Captain. Shaan does not merit a place in the side yet he is going to lead it? If he fails to score heavily in Australia, I hope Pakistani fans call him out and also carry placards saying Parchi 28 on it. Just so everyone in the cricketing gets to hear about. Hope ICC disciplines PCB for blatant nepotism. I am sure ICC does not condone nepotism

Which Direction is that? the damage has already been done by making Shaan Masood the Test Captain. Shaan does not merit a place in the side yet he is going to lead it? If he fails to score heavily in Australia, I hope Pakistani fans call him out and also carry placards saying Parchi 28 on it. Just so everyone in the cricketing gets to hear about. Hope ICC disciplines PCB for blatant nepotism. I am sure ICC does not condone nepotism
Rizwan captained Pakistan in New Zealand having played how many Tests?!

Where were the placards then?

The Chief Selector and the Sports Minister will play PSL under Babar Azam's captaincy who has been forcefully asked to resign as the captain. What a joke of a country 🤡

Wahab may be a decent choice, but if I was any current player hoping to get into the team I would be careful about offending him. He has a vindictive manner about him imo - unless he's matured in the last few years.

Back