Was India's annexation of Portuguese Goa in 1961 ethical?

sweep_shot

Test Star
Runs
India invaded Goa without any warning and ended up annexing it forcefully in year 1961. Before the annexation, Goa was a Portuguese territory for around 450 years.

30 Portuguese troops died. India also lost 22 troops.

Do you think India's annexation was legal, ethical, and the right thing to do? Should they have pursued a more formal route (a referendum perhaps)?

Imagine Mexico trying to annex California from United States. California used to be a part of Mexico.

Is this type of annexation ethical in today's age?

Imagine Mexico trying to annex California from United States. California used to be a part of Mexico.

Is this type of annexation ethical in today's age?
No action of Indian govt had ever been ethical, the grabbing of Kashmir and Hyderabad are also prime example of it.

No action of Indian govt had ever been ethical, the grabbing of Kashmir and Hyderabad are also prime example of it.

I was quite surprised that Portugal let it go like that. India weren't a big military force in the 1960's.

Portugal probably could've gotten it back with a minor military operation.

Far be it from me to stick up for India, but really what right did Portugal have to it in the first place? Portugal is a European state, Goa is part of Asia.

I am not biased in this, even though I am a Brit, I never agreed that the Malvinas ( Falkland Islands) belonged to Britain when we fought a war with Argentina for it. This made me quite unpopular at home, but for me Britain is not South America. The argument was that the inhabitants of the Falklands considered themselves British. In which case I would say why are you over there then?

Far be it from me to stick up for India, but really what right did Portugal have to it in the first place? Portugal is a European state, Goa is part of Asia.

I am not biased in this, even though I am a Brit, I never agreed that the Malvinas ( Falkland Islands) belonged to Britain when we fought a war with Argentina for it. This made me quite unpopular at home, but for me Britain is not South America. The argument was that the inhabitants of the Falklands considered themselves British. In which case I would say why are you over there then?

You have a point.

But, Goa was with Portugal from 16th century till 1961. A referendum was probably the right thing to do.

52 soldiers (both sides combined) died for this.

I was quite surprised that Portugal let it go like that. India weren't a big military force in the 1960's.

Portugal probably could've gotten it back with a minor military operation.

I heard somewhere that Portugal sent a couple of naval warships as reinforcements but the Egyptial leader, General Nasser refused to let them pass through the Suez Canal as a favor to Nehru. No idea if the story is true.

They did the right thing

How can it part of Portugal which is so far away?

They did the right thing

How can it part of Portugal which is so far away?

Countries often have colonies/foreign territories. For example, India owns North Sentinel Island (which is quite far from Indian mainland).

If countries start to annex like this worldwide, things can get chaotic.

I heard somewhere that Portugal sent a couple of naval warships as reinforcements but the Egyptial leader, General Nasser refused to let them pass through the Suez Canal as a favor to Nehru. No idea if the story is true.

I see. I didn't know this.

Why the favor? Did Nehru do any favor to Egypt or Nasser?

Things could've been interesting had Portugal managed to bring in their warships (near India).

Countries often have colonies/foreign territories. For example, India owns North Sentinel Island (which is quite far from Indian mainland).

If countries start to annex like this worldwide, things can get chaotic.
Well Portugal gave a weak response and didn't do enough to protect Goa compared to UK protecting Falkland Islands.

India invaded Goa without any warning and ended up annexing it forcefully in year 1961. Before the annexation, Goa was a Portuguese territory for around 450 years.

30 Portuguese troops died. India also lost 22 troops.

Do you think India's annexation was legal, ethical, and the right thing to do? Should they have pursued a more formal route (a referendum perhaps)?
Cool story bro.

Goa was always an Indian territory occupied by Portugal. May be you are hoping for India to beg Portugal to return what naturally belonged to them.

India got its independence in 1947 and they waited 14 years for Portuguese to voluntarily handover Goa to India. When that did not work, Indian army had to take it by force.

Things could've been interesting had Portugal managed to bring in their warships (near India).
You are overestimating Portugal's strength. They are no British.

I know you secretly wanted Portugal fight with India and defeat Indian army.

India is part of soviet block and anything has to pass Suez canal which Egypt own.Egypt owns the canal and part if soviet block.you should atleast do a meaningful research before digging into the history

Goa was surrounded by rest of India on 3 sides- it was only a matter of time that it was absorbed by India. The bigger question is how did it escape being annexed by British India for so long?

Annexation of other places is nothing new. But taking it forcefully is something that needs to be addressed. Referendum is another something that can be accepted but use of force is not.

Annexation of other places is nothing new. But taking it forcefully is something that needs to be addressed. Referendum is another something that can be accepted but use of force is not.
Portuguese forcefully taking goa is not a problem for op but victim taking it back became an issue.After second world war, it became highly ethical issue for UK to hold on to colonies but Portuguese are happy to maintain a colony.That itself show the thickness of them.In second world war, Portuguese supplied arms to Nazis and goods to UK.that itself shows the hypocrisy and self serving nature of them

Yeah..also let OP start a campaign to return his nation to rightfully owners pakistan too 😀
He has already said he won't mind Bangladesh merging with Pakistan as long as it remains an Islamic country.

He has already said he won't mind Bangladesh merging with Pakistan as long as it remains an Islamic country.

Sweet shot bro listens to too much Zakir Naik videos and lives in his own little lala world...

Sigh, one day he will wake up... Maybe..

Exactly.

Scotland had a referendum a few years ago (stay with Britain or become independent). Scotland decided to stay.

That's how it should have been done.

But, I guess people have moved on. There's a new status quo now.

Culturally and geographically, Bangladesh is closer to India so if it is going to merge, should be with India as they hold the other half of Bengal. This is what caused the split between the two Pakistans in the first place, culture overrode religion on both sides. The only way to unite Bangladesh and current day Pakistan was pre-partition India, either by British rule or the Mughal empire before that.

The Portuguese couldn't speak the local language itself, the Goa “rebels” broadcasted in Konkani across Goa to expose them , that’s how out of sync the Portuguese Army was with the locals.
Also there is a difference between a colony and a state, California would be with Mexico if they could fight USA (lol)

At this stage the Pakistanis would be happy to offer their establishment to Bangladesh for free.

The Portuguese couldn't speak the local language itself, the Goa “rebels” broadcasted in Konkani across Goa to expose them , that’s how out of sync the Portuguese Army was with the locals.
Also there is a difference between a colony and a state, California would be with Mexico if they could fight USA (lol)

USA should give back California to Mexico.

No need to invade like India did in Goa. That was unethical and unnecessary.

Culturally and geographically, Bangladesh is closer to India so if it is going to merge, should be with India as they hold the other half of Bengal. This is what caused the split between the two Pakistans in the first place, culture overrode religion on both sides. The only way to unite Bangladesh and current day Pakistan was pre-partition India, either by British rule or the Mughal empire before that.
I hear this a lot nowadays in discussions about Pakistan and India. I was at a Litfest earlier this month and it came up...that countries should be based on common culture not religion or artificial boundaries. It's a bit of a Chicken and egg though. Texas had nothing in common with Maine when the US split from Great Britain but they've managed to create a common culture since. On the other hands countries with a monolithic culture turn very insular and unwelcoming of outsiders even when they need them like Japan. I don't think there's a right answer.

At this stage the Pakistanis would be happy to offer their establishment to Bangladesh for free.

Bangladesh have their own "establishment" problem. LOL.

BD haven't had a proper election since 2008. All the elections since 2008 were rigged/manipulated (oppositions were neutralized before elections).

Goa was surrounded by rest of India on 3 sides- it was only a matter of time that it was absorbed by India. The bigger question is how did it escape being annexed by British India for so long?

Is Goa strategically important?

If not, I could see why British didn't want it.

I hear this a lot nowadays in discussions about Pakistan and India. I was at a Litfest earlier this month and it came up...that countries should be based on common culture not religion or artificial boundaries. It's a bit of a Chicken and egg though. Texas had nothing in common with Maine when the US split from Great Britain but they've managed to create a common culture since. On the other hands countries with a monolithic culture turn very insular and unwelcoming of outsiders even when they need them like Japan. I don't think there's a right answer.
Religion is the single most important identity. That is why punjabis killed punjabis and bengalis killed bengalis. Now they may pretend to like each other citing common culture, but when push comes to shove, religious difference was stronger than cultural similarity. Bangladesh only took it one step further, separation based on religion, and then separation based on ethnicity. This pipe dream of we are the same people is only among indian bengalis. Bangladesh bengalis feel closer to Pakistan than indian bengalis.

Religion is the single most important identity. That is why punjabis killed punjabis and bengalis killed bengalis. Now they may pretend to like each other citing common culture, but when push comes to shove, religious difference was stronger than cultural similarity. Bangladesh only took it one step further, separation based on religion, and then separation based on ethnicity. This pipe dream of we are the same people is only among indian bengalis. Bangladesh bengalis feel closer to Pakistan than indian bengalis.
Yeah certain cultures feel it more than others. In Tamil Nadu for instance, there's a stronger identification with the Tamil Eelam in Lanka than the with the North Indians whom they used to almost think of foreigners at one point.

If you had held a referendum around the IPKF time, I suspect you'd have a clear vote for secession. Luckily we didn't and here we are today with TN being one of the engines of Indian growth and culture.

Yeah certain cultures feel it more than others. In Tamil Nadu for instance, there's a stronger identification with the Tamil Eelam in Lanka than the with the North Indians whom they used to almost think of foreigners at one point.

If you had held a referendum around the IPKF time, I suspect you'd have a clear vote for secession. Luckily we didn't and here we are today with TN being one of the engines of Indian growth and culture.
Cultures are not static. Those in power promote a certain culture. Yes, I saw open support of LTTE terrorist in some shops and vehicles in TN. There are always such people who feel empowered by associating themselves with violent group. That is why referendums are not ideal. They only represent the opinion of a majority of people at a SINGLE POINT in time. After that they need to maintain and promote that opinion by adding it to school curriculum and popular media.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think language is the most important. What are we to others if we cant communicate with them.

Take a look at Kerala, mutiple religions living in peace with malayalam binding them together.

I think language is the most important. What are we to others if we cant communicate with them.

Take a look at Kerala, mutiple religions living in peace with malayalam binding them together.
1947 proved that language is not the most important.

And moplah massacre of kerala says hi. Kerala is on the verge of a churn. It is inevitable. You will see more divisions in Kerala in coming years.

Secular projects are failing all over the world. World is moving to its natural state. Just a matter of when and not if.

Language's pretty good but nothing's that solid a predictor. I don't think either side of Punjab wants back together.

Agree with you that religious identity is generally more important than national identity.

Religious identity is generally more rock solid than national identity.

An Indian may gladly renounce Indian citizenship to obtain a foreign passport but may not change his religion. Same with a Muslim guy from a Muslim country.

And 1971 proved that religion isn't as bonding a factor as you think it is. Not to mention world war 1 and 2 were fought largely amongst christian nations.
1971 proved that language is not a bonding factor. Did Bangladesh merge with India in 1971? It only proved that Religion is the most important factor, but in some cases it may not be the only factor and needs to be COMBINED with ethnicity. Two nation theory still stood vindicated in 1971, that hindus and muslims are separate nations.

Cultures are not static. Those in power promote a certain culture. Yes, I saw open support of LTTE terrorist in some shops and vehicles in TN. There are always such people who feel empowered by associating themselves with violent group. That is why referendums are not ideal. They only represent the opinion of a majority of people at a SINGLE POINT in time. After that they need to maintain and promote that opinion by adding it to school curriculum and popular media.
Agreed. The Brits love to boast of the Scotland referendum but they never offered Northern Ireland one and they'll fight tooth and nail against offering Scotland another.

Let's be clear that humans can hate each other irrespective of caste, religion, language or culture. It takes a unique set of circumstances to form a unified country/state/kingdom and those circumstances have to last a long time for people to internalise them.

India's getting that chance now. Except maybe the North-East and Kashmir (and they're getting there), most places feel themselves pretty solidly part of India for better or worse (and to be honest in several cases for worse). I hope we don't lose it in search of silly obsessions like my particular religion/culture/language isn't getting it's due.

USA should give back California to Mexico.

No need to invade like India did in Goa. That was unethical and unnecessary.
I think you are frustrated about something, Goa was a colony of Portuguese , you can make a case for Kashmir, Junagadh but not for Goa as such.

Californian latin people themselves aren’t into becoming Mexicans lol.
Maybe Mexico should go back to Spain in your logic, and read up on North American history its not only California, Texas was a country for 10 years.

Why is North Sentinel Island part of India? Did Sentinelese people consent to being part of India? Do they even know they are Indians (LOL)?

If you think Goa didn't deserve to be under Portugal, North Sentinel Island also shouldn't be under India.

I think you are frustrated about something, Goa was a colony of Portuguese , you can make a case for Kashmir, Junagadh but not for Goa as such.

Californian latin people themselves aren’t into becoming Mexicans lol.
Maybe Mexico should go back to Spain in your logic, and read up on North American history its not only California, Texas was a country for 10 years.

You are shifting goalpost. You are trying to justify India's unethical annexation of Goa.

You are shifting goalpost. You are trying to justify India's unethical annexation of Goa.
You mentioned California that’s why I spoke about Texas.

Is it about some post that is bothering you? I’m confused about unethical, power is might, your Caliphs have shown that.

Portuguese themselves colonised it and India took it back.

I’m not justifying anything I’m stating that reality of situations.

Portuguese themselves colonised it and India took it back.

You can't just take back a land like that. There should be a non-violent process (a formal referendum like it happened in Algeria).

Should Russia take back Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan too?

You can't just take back a land like that. There should be a non-violent process (a formal referendum like it happened in Algeria).

They took Crimea didn’t they?

India did the referendum but after throwing off Portuguese, say what you want to that lol.

Surprised you believe in referendums , maybe should be allowed in Turkey China and Pakistan as well lets see how those turn up.

India did the referendum but after throwing off Portuguese, say what you want to that lol.

That is something I expect from a Borat movie. As per Borat, his country's president counts the votes first and then others count the votes.

Referendum after invasion was pointless. Not sure if the referendum was independently monitored.

No, you CAN take back land by force. Those who cannot, talk about referendum.

Well, UK can definitely invade and get British India back. But, that is not a civilized thing to do anymore.

Goa was possibly the only place India could take back in the 1960's.
What else India could take? Sikkim voted themselves to be part of India.

Are they protesting? Let me know if you can visit them and find out.

They attack everyone. No?

They are immune from prosecutions. They killed 2 Indian fishermen and one American missionary. Nothing happened.

They enjoy more entitlements than American feminists.

They attack everyone. No?

They are immune from prosecutions. They killed 2 Indian fishermen and one American missionary.

They enjoy more entitlements than American feminists.
So Indian law and jurisdiction doesnt apply them them. So what exactly should be done to make it ethical.

Also you did not reply about Chakma being ethical or not?

So Indian law and jurisdiction doesnt apply them them. So what exactly should be done to make it ethical.

Also you did not reply about Chakma being ethical or not?

Chakmas can migrate to Myanmar. Who is stopping them?

Chittagong has been with Bangladesh since 1947. Nobody has any reason to invade it (like Indians unethically did in Goa).

This thread is a classic example of what happens when someone who is not very good at trolling decides to be the troll of the day and then proceeds to make themselves look painfully awkward and cringe.

You know...like those middle school nerds who decide to sit in the back row for a day , crack some unfunny lame jokes at the teacher thinking they'd make the whole class laugh but only get awkward silence in return.

Chakmas can migrate to Myanmar. Who is stopping them?

Chittagong has been with Bangladesh since 1947. Nobody has any reason to invade it (like Indians unethically did in Goa).
So Bangladesh, an Islamic country having Chakma people is ethical according to you. Was a referendum held for them in 1947? Did someone ask them which country they want to belong?

Sorry, I am only asking the questions you have been asking. Personally don't believe in ethics.

This thread is a classic example of what happens when someone who is not very good at trolling decides to be the troll of the day and then proceeds to make themselves look painfully awkward and cringe.

You know...like those middle school nerds who decide to sit in the back row for a day , crack some unfunny lame jokes at the teacher thinking they'd make the whole class laugh but only get awkward silence in return.

Nerds don't sit in the back row. They also don't crack jokes.

Anyway, looks like you want to undermine the thread with lame insults.

Do you believe India should've invaded Goa that resulted in 30 dead Portuguese soldiers and 22 dead Indian soldiers? Was the invasion cowardly and unethical?

Nerds don't sit in the back row. They also don't crack jokes.

Anyway, looks like you want to undermine the thread with lame insults.

Do you believe India should've invaded Goa that resulted in 30 dead Portuguese soldiers and 22 dead Indian soldiers? Was the invasion cowardly and unethical?
Always ranked first in class since grade 5 till 12, and always sat on the last bench. First rankers from other sections would ask my why I kept bad company.

But the reason I sat on the last bench was to hide the patch work on my school uniform.

Why does it matter if something was ethical or not?
Who even considers ethics when expanding territory?

You only look at legality of it, not the ethics.

You should read up on North Sentinal islands. Nobody is governing North Sentinal islands. While technically the island belongs to India because it is part of Andaman archipelago, it is off limits to any human contact including the Indian forces for their own health because they are not immune from modern day viruses. Good thing that territory it is not under any Abrahamic religion territory, otherwise people would have reached there too to preach religion to them.

Bangladesh have their own "establishment" problem. LOL.

BD haven't had a proper election since 2008. All the elections since 2008 were rigged/manipulated (oppositions were neutralized before elections).

Every country has an establishment in some shape or form.

Difference is unlike Pakistan, Bangladesh's establishment chugs it along at 8%+ per annum GDP growth.

You should read up on North Sentinal islands. Nobody is governing North Sentinal islands. While technically the island belongs to India because it is part of Andaman archipelago, it is off limits to any human contact including the Indian forces for their own health because they are not immune from modern day viruses. Good thing that territory it is not under any Abrahamic religion territory, otherwise people would have reached there too to preach religion to them.

An American tried that and got killed:

In November 2018, a 26-year old American missionary named John Allen Chau, who was trained and sent by Missouri-based All Nations, was killed during an illegal trip to the restricted island where he planned to preach Christianity to the Sentinelese. The 2023 documentary film The Mission discusses the incident. Seven individuals were taken into custody by Indian police on suspicion of abetting Chau's illegal access to the island. Entering a radius of 5 nautical miles (9.3 km) around the island is illegal under Indian law. The fishermen who illegally ferried Chau to North Sentinel said they saw tribesmen drag his body along a beach and bury it. Despite efforts by Indian authorities, which involved a tense encounter with the tribe, Chau's body was not recovered. Indian officials made several attempts to recover the body but eventually abandoned those efforts. An anthropologist involved in the case told The Guardian that the risk of a dangerous clash between investigators and the islanders was too great to justify any further attempts.

Every country has an establishment in some shape or form.

Difference is unlike Pakistan, Bangladesh's establishment chugs it along at 8%+ per annum GDP growth.

An American tried that and got killed:

In November 2018, a 26-year old American missionary named John Allen Chau, who was trained and sent by Missouri-based All Nations, was killed during an illegal trip to the restricted island where he planned to preach Christianity to the Sentinelese. The 2023 documentary film The Mission discusses the incident. Seven individuals were taken into custody by Indian police on suspicion of abetting Chau's illegal access to the island. Entering a radius of 5 nautical miles (9.3 km) around the island is illegal under Indian law. The fishermen who illegally ferried Chau to North Sentinel said they saw tribesmen drag his body along a beach and bury it. Despite efforts by Indian authorities, which involved a tense encounter with the tribe, Chau's body was not recovered. Indian officials made several attempts to recover the body but eventually abandoned those efforts. An anthropologist involved in the case told The Guardian that the risk of a dangerous clash between investigators and the islanders was too great to justify any further attempts.
Yeah I remember that story - that guy was mocked pretty badly here in the US for his own foolishness and also for exposing the local population to diseases in the name of ‘one true Lord and Savior’. That’s the problem with proselytizing religious orders.

I read about them.

Question is how did it come under India? The island is quite far from Indian mainland. Ideally, that island shouldn't be under any country.

Also, not sure why folks from the island get special privilege. They kill people and don't get prosecuted. What if a ship ends up there during a storm? They have no right to kill. If they do, they should face consequences.

If you say Goa didn't belong to Portugal, North Sentinel Island should also not belong to India. That's my point.

Still i will humour the guy.

Goa was a colony. They had been trying to overthrow the Portuguese imperalists for decades.

After 1947, other European powers like France willingly handed over their colonies, Portuguese dreamed of having a colonial empire.

Just like the OP.

Still i will humour the guy.

Goa was a colony. They had been trying to overthrow the Portuguese imperalists for decades.

After 1947, other European powers like France willingly handed over their colonies, Portuguese dreamed of having a colonial empire.

Just like the OP.
As per op,he is blitz player in chess.Blitz players are known for making moves in a minute with out much thinking .

I don't really know much about this issue - the very little I do know is that India tried for a diplomatic solution, but the Portuguese were not coming to the table at all. In the end they felt a military solution was the only solution.

How did the Goans react to the invasion and subsequent reunification with India?

I don't really know much about this issue - the very little I do know is that India tried for a diplomatic solution, but the Portuguese were not coming to the table at all. In the end they felt a military solution was the only solution.

How did the Goans react to the invasion and subsequent reunification with India?
An overwhelming majority of them supported the reunification, the Portuguese were pretty brutal.

I spent a couple of years in goa and never met someone who didn't want reunification

Nerds don't sit in the back row. They also don't crack jokes

Some desperate ones do after getting tired

Yes yes very unethical and cowardly.

Just as unethical and cowardly as when we invaded East Pakistan and manufactured a whole new country without conducting a plebiscite there. Indira Gandhi should have done a door to door survey taking the opinions of our Bangla brothers and then analyse that data for a good two years before coming to a decision. I'm sure the modern day Bangladeshis would have approved of such honor, patience and courage shown by the Indian side....

Back