Was it right to keep Sharjeel Khan out of the Champions One-day Cup 2024?

ads101

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Out of the names missing for the fitness tests, Sharjeel’s is possibly the biggest. First I am not a big fan of Sharjeel Khan. However I don’t know how I feel about him being left out for fitness.

In Champions One-day cup you want the strongest competition possible. Sharjeel has been one of the best performers in list A cricket recently. And he’s shown he has adequate fitness for that, scoring hundreds there. And he was allowed to play list A cricket without the fitness test.

Unfit players who would have failed this fitness test, are allowed to play PSL and international cricket. Which is where you could make a better case that those with poor fitness would be exposed. Not domestic. If we allow it there, it feels strange to be hypocritical and not allow it here.

In a tournament such as this where most of your national team players are actually playing, you want competition strongest as possible to see how they compare and practice against. Even if you choose to use fitness test as a criteria to not pick in internationals. Sharjeel is also now denied a better opportunity to win back his PSL spot.

I also question if Sharjeel had not have fixed, would they have had the fitness test criteria? I feel they would have dropped it to let him play. Similar to how Azam khan was played in international t20s. I think his reputation for fixing has made it so some are happy to stay clear of him. This is probably evidenced by the fact he wasn’t picked up by a single PSL team which I find surprising. But he has already made an international return after fixing, so it seems more the case you have if you are very good, we will make way for the fixing. But if you’re simply average/just good enough to make the team, it’s better to just leave you out due to the fixing.

I am no big fan of Sharjeel. However I don’t particularly see what is gained leaving him out. I don’t think the fitness test effectively gives an incentive to be fitter, as PSL doesn’t demand the same fitness standards. And if that’s the case, I think we’ve just weakened the strength of the tournament, as I feel Sharjeel clearly would have played if he had passed the fitness test.

Picking the best available options and giving them a fair shake is not the main priority within the current Pakistan set-up.

Someone had posted stats of List A average and strike rate in recent times. Sharjeel had 3rd highest average and the best strike rate. And his average was slightly less than top 2 whereas there was a massive difference between his strike rate and the SR of the top 2 batters.

It seems correct because doors are closed for him to play for Pakistan again

Unfortunately he comes from the wrong domicile. Even if he got himself in better shape than Rodger Federer, the crooks in the PCB would have ignored him as he will destroy the balance of the nexus that has ruined Pakistan cricket

The PSL fixing scandal ruined his career. The PCB is intentionally keeping him out.

Unfortunately he comes from the wrong domicile. Even if he got himself in better shape than Rodger Federer, the crooks in the PCB would have ignored him as he will destroy the balance of the nexus that has ruined Pakistan cricket
Don’t think this is true. We were desperate to play Sharjeel before the fixing, even though he wasn’t in very good shape.

If he were performing in PSL, I think he’d still make the international team. But he isn’t. Look at Azam khan, clearly out of shape, but we were ready to relax fitness requirements to let him play internationals.

I think the feeling is that he would not perform in international cricket. And if he won’t, there is no point treating him well. If you look at guys like Latif, Kaneria etc. PCB didn’t care about them coming back. They knew they weren’t international prospects anymore. They expected perhaps optimistically Sharjeel would immediately perform upon international comeback game one after fixing (rather than giving him a long run). But he isn’t even performing in PSL now. And if he isn’t excelling in PSL, teams don’t want him associated with him for the fixer tag for merely average/good performance. Amir is the opposite, he did actually excel which is why his fixing is tolerated to an extent, but even then some of the treatment towards Amir is because he fixed.

I think he’s being treated this way as they think his international career is over. He’s too old, unfit, fixing reputation and not performing in PSL. I don’t think PCB particularly care about his domestic career.

He failed in a retired cricketers league and was out played by oldies. :yk
That retired league would crush current Pakistan.

People like saqlian and yousaf are outperforming babar in nets even at this age.

Those chachu's aren't as bad as you think. That retired Indian 11 would still knock up minnows like Zimbabwe, Canada and others. They'd probs struggle and lose to USA though due to netravlakar, the openers and Jones. Their pacers are too fast for the oldies and Jones + openers wouldn't t struggle against 125KPH deliveries

Am glad you made this thread OP because I want my blood to continue to boil when it comes to the current team, I hate most of them with a passion. Sharjeel & Fakhar are the last of a dying Pakistani breed which best represent the Pakistani charisma and style of yore.

Good luck guys, kicking balls on backsides, and then showing it to the opposition.

Am glad you made this thread OP because I want my blood to continue to boil when it comes to the current team, I hate most of them with a passion. Sharjeel & Fakhar are the last of a dying Pakistani breed which best represent the Pakistani charisma and style of yore.

Good luck guys, kicking balls on backsides, and then showing it to the opposition.
Not just them bro. All the former ambassadors who actually represented Pakistan during ct 2017

1) Sarfraz Ahmed
2) Azhar Ali
3) Malik
4) Amir (He redeemed himself in 2017)
5) Imad
6) Hafeez (He turned his back later, in 2017 he was representing atleast)
7) Haris sohail (came after but was a representative as well)
8) Fakhar Zaman
9) Junaid Khan

^^ All these guys during their era under sarfi played for the crest on their chest.

Imad and amir left and rightfully so because they under no circumstance were willing to support bobby and rizzu.

Hafeez defected cause he wanted his pcb money and positions.

The rest All retired or were mistreated by this new nexus gang founded by Misbah

Not just them bro. All the former ambassadors who actually represented Pakistan during ct 2017

1) Sarfraz Ahmed
2) Azhar Ali
3) Malik
4) Amir (He redeemed himself in 2017)
5) Imad
6) Hafeez (He turned his back later, in 2017 he was representing atleast)
7) Haris sohail (came after but was a representative as well)
8) Fakhar Zaman
9) Junaid Khan

^^ All these guys during their era under sarfi played for the crest on their chest.

Imad and amir left and rightfully so because they under no circumstance were willing to support bobby and rizzu.

Hafeez defected cause he wanted his pcb money and positions.

The rest All retired or were mistreated by this new nexus gang founded by Misbah

Those two I mentioned are who we have left now, Amir is sort of semi-retired as is Imad, Sarfraz is in the twilight etc

I genuinely believe Sharjeel and Fakhar can still deliver, but obviously the former has been mistreated.

All the other blokes you mentioned I agree Sarfraz squeezed the best out of them and maximised their strengths, he was a great man manager.

That retired league would crush current Pakistan.

People like saqlian and yousaf are outperforming babar in nets even at this age.

Those chachu's aren't as bad as you think. That retired Indian 11 would still knock up minnows like Zimbabwe, Canada and others. They'd probs struggle and lose to USA though due to netravlakar, the openers and Jones. Their pacers are too fast for the oldies and Jones + openers wouldn't t struggle against 125KPH deliveries
Do you really think that retired team will defeat current Pakistan team? Aren’t you exaggerating ?

I definitely doubt the standard of a league where Dan Christian of 2024 made 200+ runs at 215 str rate.

I actually watched the match too, no team had a single quality pacer and the level of the game was quite low when compared to International cricket.

Do you really think that retired team will defeat current Pakistan team? Aren’t you exaggerating ?

I definitely doubt the standard of a league where Dan Christian of 2024 made 200+ runs at 215 str rate.

I actually watched the match too, no team had a single quality pacer and the level of the game was quite low when compared to International cricket.
Depends as to which international pakistan side shows up. This is the same side that lost to Ireland on a school boy pitch even though Ireland didn't have a single bowler who could bowl more then 120 clicks besides mark adair who was clicking it at 140.

Back