"We are not thinking about using any particular pair of batters in the powerplay": Azhar Mahmood

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Azhar Mahmood spoke during the press conference ahead of the 1st T20I between Ireland and Pakistan:

Q: Preparations and combinations

Azhar Mahmood: Preparations went well. We've just arrived, and the practice session was held today. We are exploring different options at the moment.

Q: On Usman Khan and his batting position:

Azhar Mahmood: As far as Usman is concerned, I have said it many times that nobody's batting position is fixed. We will adjust players according to the situation and condition of the match.

Q: Who will share the new ball?

Azhar Mahmood: It all depends on the situation. Yes, we are very flexible, and it's a good situation for us to have so many options that can be utilized in the powerplay. It all depends on the match conditions, and we will try to utilize them accordingly. We are not committed to using any particular pair in the powerplay.

Q: On Mohammad Amir's Visa

Azhar Mahmood: Mohammad Amir's Visa has been approved. He will fly tonight or tomorrow. He might miss the first game, but he will hopefully be available for the second game.

Q: Pakistani team approach towards WC? Would you use Azam Khan more than Iftikhar Ahmed?

Azhar Mahmood: Our approach is aggressive and attacking, and we know we are lacking in the powerplay and middle overs. We have players who can address these issues.

Q: Regarding Saim Ayub and Imad Wasim, it will be an advantage for us since they have experience playing on such grounds. We have only played one game against Ireland in the T20I format. Now, we have seen young talent in Irish cricket. What are your views on ditching national duty because of the IPL?

Azhar Mahmood: Very good question. I have bitter memories of 2007, and as for Josh Little, it's up to him. He can provide a better answer. Irish players are talented, and we can't take them lightly. They are experienced players who have also played county cricket. In shorter formats, you can't underestimate teams. Irish teams are full of talented players, and we can't take them lightly as they have experience playing international and league cricket. We will need to execute our plans effectively to tackle them.

Last edited:
It’s a blatant way of saying “we are not thinking about having a pair that you would like to open in the powerplay”

Q: Who will share the new ball?

Azhar Mahmood: It all depends on the situation. Yes, we are very flexible, and it's a good situation for us to have so many options that can be utilized in the powerplay. It all depends on the match conditions, and we will try to utilize them accordingly. We are not committed to using any particular pair in the powerplay.
He's speaking about the bowlers not the batsmen.

looks like he is out of the loop :mahmood. Babar is keeping his cards close to his chest. :babar

He's talking nonsense he already knows who will be opening the batting.

Q: On Usman Khan and his batting position:

Azhar Mahmood: As far as Usman is concerned, I have said it many times that nobody's batting position is fixed. We will adjust players according to the situation and condition of the match.

I don't think they have many options to utilize Usman at multiple positions. For me he can only adjust to the number 4 position the way he plays.

We need to try and make this quartet work in this order.

Babar
Saim
Rizwan
Fakhar

I think we need to send Fakhar above Rizwan because most of the time number 3 position batsman comes to bat within the powerplay and Fakhar is the one who can utilize it better compared to Rizwan.

No batting pair fixed, no opening bowling pair fixed.

Cakes ordered, schedule of cermonies confirmed, opposition gifts wrapped

Order of the era for Pakistan cricket
Babar Azam at number 2 not facing first ball is fixed btw

I think we need to send Fakhar above Rizwan because most of the time number 3 position batsman comes to bat within the powerplay and Fakhar is the one who can utilize it better compared to Rizwan.
Then there is no place for Rizwan in this team. He is totally useless down the order.

I don't think they have many options to utilize Usman at multiple positions. For me he can only adjust to the number 4 position the way he plays.
He should be playing at 3. The lower he plays, the more will be the pressure on him to score runs which is not good for a newer guy like him atm.

Its one big mess!
Azhar you dont need to think, Captain fantastic already knows what he will do.
Also its so embarrasing to see them talk about Azam Khan, as if he is the next coming of Inzamam, the truth is a player like Azam Khan should not be there!

Then there is no place for Rizwan in this team. He is totally useless down the order.

He should be playing at 3. The lower he plays, the more will be the pressure on him to score runs which is not good for a newer guy like him atm.
There is no place for Rizwan. We have done team combination gymnastics to fit this “hero” in our team. How long must it go on.

To have such a clean striker as Fakhar come in at no4 is a big joke. He opens in ODIs for his striking ability, but in the format when you need striking ability even more, he’s stuffed down the order. Who makes this crap up

There is no place for Rizwan. We have done team combination gymnastics to fit this “hero” in our team. How long must it go on
The truth is, it must go on until Rizwan does something to overtake Sarfaraz’s legacy. This is the reason why he is in the team.

Rizwan will be adjusted even until he is 50

The truth is, it must go on until Rizwan does something to overtake Sarfaraz’s legacy. This is the reason why he is in the team.

True.

Can we just make Rizwan captain, bribe all the ICC nations to give us an ICC trophy and then he can sail off in to the sunset

Clueless as ever. Selection based on dosti and cronyism. Giving players a role should be the plan, instead of protecting them from failure.

Its one big mess!
Azhar you dont need to think, Captain fantastic already knows what he will do.
Also its so embarrasing to see them talk about Azam Khan, as if he is the next coming of Inzamam, the truth is a player like Azam Khan should not be there!
Azam Khan is an embarrassment. The fact that the Pak management believe he has a role to play is laughable.

What do you want us to do? Cheer for blatant disregard of the modern game?
Where are the modern players that score runs that make difference?
This is fault of PCB management, just support the team that is available. Not many deserving players have missed out. You can not fit all fan favourites in the squad

Only wag he's overtaking Sarfraz's legacy is if he takes his team to a tournament victory as captain when the team is considered a joke and is down in the dumps.

We are already down in the dumps so step 1 is complete.

However rizwan completing step 2 and 3 is only going to happen in a punjabi movie, not irl.

Is Azhar Mahmood’s position in the management set up fixed though?

Back