West Indies (218/5) secure a comfortable win against Afghanistan (114) by 104 run in their last group stage game of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The highly anticipated clash between West Indies and Afghanistan is set to take place at the Darren Sammy Cricket Stadium in St. Lucia, marking the final Group C match of the 2024 ICC T20 World Cup. Both teams have been on a winning streak, securing three victories in as many games. This encounter will be a thrilling preview of what's to come in the Super 8s, starting June 19. Afghanistan's Fazal Farooqi and Rahmanullah Gurbaz have been in exceptional form, posing a significant challenge for the West Indies. Meanwhile, Rovman Powell's team has demonstrated remarkable unity and collective strength, with each player contributing significantly to their success.

Squads:

West Indies
Squad: Brandon King, Johnson Charles, Nicholas Pooran(w), Roston Chase, Rovman Powell(c), Sherfane Rutherford, Akeal Hosein, Andre Russell, Romario Shepherd, Alzarri Joseph, Gudakesh Motie, Obed McCoy, Shimron Hetmyer, Shai Hope, Shamar Joseph

Afghanistan Squad: Rahmanullah Gurbaz(w), Ibrahim Zadran, Gulbadin Naib, Azmatullah Omarzai, Mohammad Nabi, Najibullah Zadran, Karim Janat, Rashid Khan(c), Noor Ahmad, Naveen-ul-Haq, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Fareed Ahmad Malik, Mohammad Ishaq, Nangeyalia Kharote

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning:

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

1000013332.jpg

Another idyllic ground and one named after St Lucia native and current WI coach Darren Sammy.

Recently has been one of the quickest and bounciest pitches in the Caribbean - think back to South Africa's Test series in 2021 and England's Test in 2019.

Rather conveniently...this is where WI play Afghanistan rather than spin friendly Guyana or Trinidad.

Afghanistan have won the toss and have opted to field

West Indies
(Playing XI): Brandon King, Johnson Charles, Nicholas Pooran(w), Shai Hope, Rovman Powell(c), Sherfane Rutherford, Andre Russell, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Gudakesh Motie, Obed McCoy

Afghanistan (Playing XI): Rahmanullah Gurbaz(w), Ibrahim Zadran, Gulbadin Naib, Azmatullah Omarzai, Mohammad Nabi, Najibullah Zadran, Karim Janat, Rashid Khan(c), Noor Ahmad, Naveen-ul-Haq, Fazalhaq Farooqi

Afg showing why they are improving. They are not bothered about a loss in a dead rubber and testing themselves for super 8 stages by chasing intentionally.Pak ,Bng must have never done it

Lol west indies decimating Afghanistan here.
It's fun to watch here.
Afghanistan ain't gonna win against India.
They will never do that.

Lol 4 overs 73 runs. Pakistan would have reached 73 after 11 overs at this venue.

Powerplay is the most important phase of T20 cricket.
Pakistan must understand this.

Going forward Pakistan must give chance to fakhar and haris in the powerplay.

West indies scored 92 runs in 6 overs.
Pakistan would never score this many runs in 6 overs certainly not with those losers at top.

West Indies playing some smart cricket despite the Charles wicket. They have already launched a stunning assault in the powerplay and gotten ahead of the game. Important now to keep rotating the strike and not lose any wickets to the spinners in the middle overs. So that you are perfectly set up for an even bigger finish.

I knew this would be a gun game. Afghanistan ain't gonna roll over either. When they bat they'll be chucking it hard

West Indies playing some smart cricket despite the Charles wicket. They have already launched a stunning assault in the powerplay and gotten ahead of the game. Important now to keep rotating the strike and not lose any wickets to the spinners in the middle overs. So that you are perfectly set up for an even bigger finish.
They have really slowed down. After power play they are scoring at 6 RPO. They could have scored easily another 15 runs.

They have really slowed down. After power play they are scoring at 6 RPO. They could have scored easily another 15 runs.
You gotta give credit to the bowling as well. Afghanistan ain't backing down and just tolling over.

They've become a professional unit that stares their opposition down. They ain't Pakistan that'll just give up like they usually do when someone smacks 90 of 6

You gotta give credit to the bowling as well. Afghanistan ain't backing down and just tolling over.

They've become a professional unit that stares their opposition down. They ain't Pakistan that'll just give up like they usually do when someone smacks 90 of 6
Yea they have pulled back quite well. Full credit to them.

Incredible batting by Pooran. Very few batters in the world can take Rashid Khan apart like this. This is how you cash in after spending some time at the crease. And he had such a simple plan: target the short boundary as ruthlessly as possible, the wind is already blowing in that direction.

Disappointing stuff.
That was a freak throw.
Nicholas pooran should have gotten his hundred.
Best knock of the world cup.

It's rare to see Rashid get clobbered like this. But it happens its a sight to see. I still remember when Morgan demolished him at the 2019 WC.

Afghanistan completely lose the plot when they are put under pressure. Don't see them winning now that Gurbaz is out

It's rare to see Rashid get clobbered like this. But it happens its a sight to see. I still remember when Morgan demolished him at the 2019 WC.
Rashid is getting clobbered all the time in ipl from past 3,4 years. He has to reinvent himself like naraine.

Rashid is getting clobbered all the time in ipl from past 3,4 years. He has to reinvent himself like naraine.
Getting hammered on those IPL steroid pitches and on these slow West Indian pitches are two completely different things.

Getting hammered on those IPL steroid pitches and on these slow West Indian pitches are two completely different things.
Eveyone prefers a batting pitch in t20s.ipl is almost like a lab to test out the real time equations.Have not eng
scored against pak in eng at 10 rr in both games? Have not aus scored 200 against eng in wi.Evry team's batting strength is awesome except u know who.200 is a par total as per t20 standards anywhere

Afghanistan struggling but Ibrahim needs to bat out of his skin to ensure victory

All the records broken during West Indies' stunning T20 World Cup innings

Highest total of 2024 T20 World Cup

West Indies total of 218/5 was the highest total by any team at this edition of the Men's T20 World Cup, surpassing the 201/6 Sri Lanka managed against the Netherlands at the same venue and Australia's 201/7 against England in Barbados.

Highest team total of 2024 T20 World Cup

TeamScore
West Indies218/5 v Afghanistan
Sri Lanka201/6 v Netherlands
Australia201/7 v England
USA197/3 v Canada
Canada194/5 v USA

Highest individual innings of 2024 T20 World Cup

Pooran's outstanding innings of 98 was the highest score by any player at this T20 World Cup, eclipsing the unbeaten 94 USA's Aaron Jones put together against Canada in Dallas.

Highest individual innings at 2024 T20 World Cup

PlayerScore
Nicholas Pooran98 v Afghanistan
Aaron Jones94* v Canada
Rahmanullah Gurbaz80 v New Zealand
Rahmanullah Gurbaz76 v Uganda
Ibrahim Zadran70 v Uganda

Highest Powerplay in Men's T20 World Cup history

West Indies scored 92 runs during the Powerplay, beating the previous best of 91 by the Netherlands against Ireland at the 2014 edition of the tournament.

Highest Powerplay totals in Men's T20 World Cup history

TeamScore
West Indies92 v Afghanistan (2024)
Netherlands91 v Ireland (2014
England89 v South Africa (2016)
South Africa83 v England (2016)
India82 v Scotland (2021)

Highest total for West Indies in Men's T20 World Cups

The score of 218/5 by the West Indies was the best they have managed at any edition of the T20 World Cup, going past the 205/6 against South Arica in Johannesburg in 2007.

West Indies' highest totals at Men's T20 World Cups

OppositionScore
Afghanistan218/5 (2024)
South Africa205/6 (2007
Australia205/4 (2012)
India196/3 (2016)
Australia191/8 (2012)

Equal most runs conceded in one over in Men's T20 World Cup history

An unwanted record for Afghanistan seamer Azmatullah Omarzai, who conceded a total of 36 in one over during the Powerplay. Pooran smashed three sixes and a pair of fours during Omarzai's second over, with some wayward bowling meaning Yuvraj Singh's long-standing record for most runs in one over at a Men's T20 World Cup was equaled.

Pooran overtook Chris Gayle for most sixes by West Indies player in Men's T20I history

Pooran hit eight sixes against Afghanistan, taking his tally to 128 in T20I cricket and past West Indies great Chris Gayle's total of 124.

Most T20I sixes by West Indies men's players

PlayerSixes
Nicholas Pooran128
Chris Gayle124
Evin Lewis111
Kieron Pollard99
Rovman Powell90

ICC

I remember EIon Morgan hit him for 10 sixes or in the 2019 world cup. Rashid conceded 100 runs or so. But in T20 internationals he has great record against West Indies. Economy is only 7. This is one of those pitch where ball was nicely coming on. These beasts smashed Rashid khan but struggled against PNG spinners.

Biggest defeat margins for Afghanistan in T20Is

116 runs vs England, Colombo RPS, 2012
104 runs vs West Indies, Gros Islet, 2024 TODAY

What a win for West Indies.

UQ9jEFf.png

Do you know:

Afghanistan bundled out their opponents for sub-100 totals in their first three games, they lost by 100-plus runs today.

West Indies' history-making innings sets up dominant win over Afghanistan

The West Indies have sent a huge warning shot, easing their way past Afghanistan and into the next phase of the T20 World Cup unbeaten.

The West Indies have firmly announced they're a force to be reckoned with, as the first round of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup comes to an end.

Having already secured qualification in the Super Eight stage, the co-hosts were chasing form and momentum against Afghanistan, another undefeated Group C team, in Saint Lucia. The West Indies put any lingering doubt surrounding their title claims, producing an eye-catching performance that had historians scrambling.

Rashid Khan won the toss and sent the West Indies in, targeting early breakthroughs at the run-happy Daren Sammy Cricket Ground venue. But there were ominous signs from the outset.

The West Indies start was truly jaw-dropping – it must be seen to be believed.

The second-over wicket of Brandon King (7 off 6) did little to halt the hosts’ momentum, as Johnson Charles and Nicholas Pooran both clicked into top gear, in the blink of an eye.

Charles struck three boundaries in the third over, which inspired Pooran to do something truly out of this world at the change of ends. The keeper-batter exploded, producing a 36-run over off Azmatullah Omarzai’s bowling – 6, 5NB, 5WD, 0, 4LB, 4, 6, 6.

It’s the fifth time in Men’s T20I history an over has gone for 36 runs, the second time at a Men’s World Cup. The final six of the Omarzai over saw the partnership reach 50.

The punishment continued, as the pair surged West Indies’ score to 92/1 at the six-over mark. It’s the biggest Powerplay total in Men’s T20 World Cup history.

Highest T20 WC Team PowerPlay scores:
92 by West Indies vs Afghanistan (2024)
91 by Netherlands vs Ireland (2014)
89 by England vs South Africa (2016)
83 by South Africa vs England (2016)
82 by India vs Scotland (2021)

The highest total Afghanistan had conceded in the World Cup so far had been 95, against Papua New Guinea. The Windies cleared that at the 6.5 over mark.

Another boundary off the bat of Johnson Charles had the Windies click up to 100 from 7.4 overs, before the right-hander was dismissed to end the eighth over – crunching 43 off 27 balls. It ended an 80-run stand that took just six overs.

The hosts reached drinks at 113/2, eyeing off more batting history into the second half of the innings.

Shai Hope’s cameo (25 off 17) helped the run rate stay in double digits, as Pooran raised the bat in the 14th over – his 50 came off just 31 balls and it was his first half-century in a T20 World Cup.

The boundaries had dried up, though, with none off overs 12, 13, 14 and 15. Afghanistan got the hosts’ run rate back down under 10, before Rovman Powell started finding his range – a six to start the 16th over took the Windies past the 150 mark.

Pooran found his groove again in the 17th over before cracking a picture-perfect 24 runs off the 18th – off the bowling of Rashid Khan, no less. Khan conceded 45 runs, without a wicket, from his four overs.

Powell sent one skyward, removed for 26 off 15, which finally brought Andre Russell to the crease in the 19th over. But his task was to try and get Pooran back on strike, who had a century in his sights – he started on strike in the final over 15 runs shy of three figures.

After a wide to start, he crunched the next two balls for six each, moving three runs shy. Pooran then guided one through cover before being run out, attempting to get back for the second. It took a sensational throw from Omarzai to remove him for 98 off 53 balls – the highest individual score of the tournament so far.

The West Indies finished with 218/5, their highest batting score in T20 World Cups and the biggest of the tournament so far.

Records to fall that innings:
  • Highest total of Men's 2024 T20 World Cup
  • Highest individual innings of Men's 2024 T20 World Cup
  • Highest Powerplay in Men's T20 World Cup history
  • Highest total for West Indies in Men's T20 World Cups
  • Equal most runs conceded in one over in Men's T20 World Cup history
  • Second highest team total against Afghanistan in Men's T20I history
  • Pooran overtook Chris Gayle for most sixes by West Indies player in Men's T20I history
Afghanistan knew it was straight to fifth gear if they were to be any chance of running down the hosts’ huge total. So a third-ball dismissal made matters worse as Rahmanullah Gurbaz (0 off 3) lobbed one straight to Russell.

Keeping calm, Gulbadin Naib and Ibrahim Zadran knuckled down and had Afghanistan emerge at 45/1 at the end of the Powerplay.

Gutakesh Motie struck next over, triggering a consistent run of wickets leading up the the innings midpoint, as the Afghans were 66/5 at drinks.

Karim Janat and Omarzai looked refreshed after drinks, both banging sixes in the 11th over. But when Omarzai was removed in the 13th over (23 off 19), the Windies enjoyed consistent success in the field from there.

Afghanistan was all out for 114, suffering their first defeat of the World Cup and pocketing some important findings before their second round tilt.

Winning by 104 runs, the West Indies enter the next phase of the tournament in world-beating form and will be a force to be reckoned with, as the pressure continues to build.

ICC

Eveyone prefers a batting pitch in t20s.ipl is almost like a lab to test out the real time equations.Have not eng
scored against pak in eng at 10 rr in both games? Have not aus scored 200 against eng in wi.Evry team's batting strength is awesome except u know who.200 is a par total as per t20 standards anywhere
Those are mot 200 pitches. Those are 260 pitches.

I remember EIon Morgan hit him for 10 sixes or in the 2019 world cup. Rashid conceded 100 runs or so. But in T20 internationals he has great record against West Indies. Economy is only 7. This is one of those pitch where ball was nicely coming on. These beasts smashed Rashid khan but struggled against PNG spinners.
He has a great record against Pooran too. But if I'm being critical I'd say that he got a little predictable last night. Pooran had one goal in mind which was to target the short boundary and Rashid kept hitting the full length which was not hard to pick for someone as set at the crease as Pooran.

Fair to say this game was quiet underwhelming. The anticipation people had for these two giants to clash.

Well I can only say if West Indies are in their zone. No one can beat them.

Nicholas Pooran (West Indies player) post-match Press Conference - 17th June 2024
[Reporter:]

Take us through it. What was going through your mind while playing out there?

[Nicholas Pooran:]

I just felt like Johnson, Charles and Brandon get us off to a good start and it was important for us to capitalise on the power play. The last couple of games, different conditions, different wickets. Coming here to this venue here, we know that the conditions are good and we as batsmen, we needed to obviously cash in. We can't say we have bad wickets in the Caribbean, and then when we get good wickets, we can't bat on it. So, tonight was an opportunity for us to spend some time in the middle and get something respectable.

Speak about the crowd factor as well. Saint Lucia came out to support you guys. How was that as well?

Yeah, the crowd was amazing here. We know for a fact that Saint Lucia crowd is very loud. We really appreciate it. That's one of the advantages of us playing a World Cup home. The fans have been amazing for us so far and we're really happy and thankful that they're here supporting us.

Dwyane Bravo is on the other side. I know that's somebody that you admire and really look up to. How is it getting one over him?

It feels good. Obviously, we speak about cricket a lot. We play a lot of cricket together. And he knew it was going to be a challenge as well. I'm sure that he would have planned for all of us. I'm just happy that when I go back to my room now, I can send him a message again that we won a game against him as well.

Obviously, you would have been the first player to reach the first century in this competition. You were so close and yet so far. How do you feel about that?

Obviously, a bit disappointed that I did not get that 100 today. But I believe that everything happens at the right time. Today wasn't the day for me to score that century and I'm just really thankful that I could be out there, batting for my team. It will come in the right time.

You guys definitely put on a show out there on the field. Great bowling performance out there and of course, shocking defeat for Afghanistan. What do you have to say about that in general?

Yeah, we obviously spoke we spoke about who we are playing what conditions we're playing and I just felt like everyone is doing their jobs. We spoke about obviously being better in the field and in the bowling department as well, coming into this World Cup. Everyone has stepped up. Akeal has been brilliant in the powerplay, Motie outside the powerplay. Russell, Azarri, even Obert coming in today, getting an opportunity and doing well. I just think that we are going from strength to strength and that's really important at this stage of the tournament.

I mean big expectations for the West Indies team playing in St Lucia will mean Darren Sammy expected people to come out and we definitely did but we didn't expect to be all guys to like win the way you'll won today.

Yeah, that's the beauty of T20 cricket and obviously the fans being here. The fans, whenever there's fans and they support you, magic happens. We know that as athletes and again we're just really happy that we could put on a show for our home crowd as well.

Could I just ask about the battle you had with Noor Ahmed and sort of it seemed like you decided to take your medicine against him to cash in at the end?

Yeah, for sure. Obviously, Noor Ahmed has bowled well to me in the past as well. Some people might criticise me for not probably putting him under some pressure but T20 is a game that obviously you have to be smart as well. You can't bat entire innings at 180 strike rate it just doesn't look like that. I still feel like we have to play the game the right way and respect the game respect the opposition as well and tonight was one of the opportunities for me to respect the bowlers.

You've ticked off a couple of big West Indies records in T20Is in the past couple of games, most runs and then most sixes tonight overtaking Chris Gayle, how proud does that make you feel?

It's a proud feeling. I've worked hard throughout my career. When you work hard in your career and then you're getting the results, it's a really proud feeling. I've sacrificed a lot, so I want to be the best version of myself. What has happened now is only because of my hard work and belief in myself. I'm just really happy that I can continue what he left. He obviously set the platform for us. As I said in my last interview, he's the definition of batting in T20 cricket. And I'm just really happy that I can continue to entertain people and take over where he has left.

Does this for you feel like the opportunity to achieve something really special, obviously, with the time in your career, sort of heading into your peak years, World Cup on home soil, the team winning in the way you are. Does it sort of feel like this is the moment, the time is now?

In our three weeks’ time, if you ask me that question, I'll give you a different answer. But it feels really good. I think it's a really good opportunity for us not only for myself, but everyone is in their prime of their career and everyone is doing well And , hopefully in the next two weeks we will be smiling

You're obviously playing England here same wicket 48 hours. Do you think you've maybe sent a bit of a message to them this evening, do you think they were watching that and thinking we're going to have to be right on our game here?

I know they are watching the game, that's for sure. But we've played England every year for the last three years in T20 cricket. We've played them in the Caribbean. They know the conditions as well. They know how we'd like to play the games as well. Obviously, they have follow Day as well. So, they have some insight how we want to play cricket as well but again, England is a tough team They obviously they have championships behind their back and Wednesday's a different opportunity for us and we just need to leave continue to leave the ego home Respect the game and then take it ball by ball, over by over on Wednesday

Just about batting at number three. You don't get to do it very often in say league cricket but you've done it well for the West Indies - is that a role that you enjoy the most in this format?

One of the beauties about me is battling in different positions. This team requires me to bat on number three. And I have the game. I have the game to play that role. Other teams, I bat at four, I bat at five. And as I said before, I've worked extremely hard on my craft, batting on different positions and at the end of the day I'm a complete team guy, whatever they require from me, I want to do it. At the end of the day, I want to win cricket games and if I want to win cricket games, I have to do my job. It's as simple as that.

But do you think, especially the way the rest of the batting lineup is, three is the position where you can do your best job in this particular team?

I can. Once I continue to respect this game and respect the opposition and play the game the right way, I feel like I have that opportunity to make our team stronger and more dangerous as well.

And you spoke about how good the bowling's been. So, someone like Azarri Joseph, his bowling pace, even on a pitch where batting looks easier. He's giving you those breakthroughs with the short ball. So how important has the middle of a bowling been for you guys?

Yeah, very important. Here in the Darren Sammy Cricket Stadium, the venue, obviously there's some bumps on the pitch. And Azarri can get it up as well. Even Russell, these guys can get the ball up. So, it's all about us seizing the opportunity, understanding what we have to do on the wicket, which is really important. Every day we knew in the Caribbean we could come here Wednesday and it's a totally different track. But it's up to us to understand what we have to do.

And just on that, like your Super 8 games are going to be in three different venues, like so do you have to go in with like at least two or three different types of games you want to play and then see the conditions and change it accordingly?

I mean we have been playing our entire career on these pitches. we're not surprised that it's slow, it's low, it's low, it's low scoring. The reason why most of our averages are 25 and 20 is because we bat on pitches like this - but we know for a fact as a group whenever we get good pitches, we are very dangerous team and that is an advantage to us.

Just want to find out without selling you out we just want to find out what are the challenges you guys faced out there tonight? Challenges? What is the biggest challenge that you guys faced out here tonight?

I think the biggest challenge for us tonight was everyone reflecting and doing their jobs. Jono, Brandon, myself, we all had jobs to do. That last game in Trinidad. When it's your day you have to take the responsibility and he obviously inspired all of us the way he batted in Trinidad on a tough wicket and we had no excuses tonight, we all have to do our jobs. In order for us to win this tournament, all 15 of us have to contribute and do our jobs.

Back