Afghanistan (148/6) defeat Australia (127) by 21 runs in the Super 8 clash of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

Fizz is a gentleman. It depends on the upbringing tbh.

I for one don't like my team like this. The unnecessary aggression. It would have been ok if they could walk the walk
So true. The great Steve Waugh's Aus team was very aggressive abrasive loud mouthed- but they walked the talk. Just being aggressive without performing looks childish - reminds me of bowler Andre Nel from SA - his aggression and attitude looked like comedy because he was spanked all over tge park

India vs Australia is all set to be washed out in St.Lucia. 80% chance of rain with thunderstorms predicted.

All Afghanistan needs to do is win by hook or crook against Bangladesh.
This is sad. Until now, rain hasn't stopped deserving teams from going through. But for the first time, rain may eliminate Australia without giving them a chance to qualify.

I really hope we get a match tomorrow.

Pakistan wasn't the best team in 2021 wc, they were the most confident though, and that's why they were dominating. India was at peak on paper but ended up being injury ridden and kohli was an awful captain. SA, England and NZ were also superior on paper but SA had their choke mentality as usual and England was disorganised. NZ also just like Pakistan turned off against Australia.

They botched the aussie game big time. They dominated Australia for 80% of the game until they lost the plot.

Not that it matters for anything but Pakistan were comfortably the best team in that tournament. They had in-form batters and in-form bowlers, all of whom knew those conditions like the back of their hand, and much better than any other team in the tournament. Pakistan were unbeaten in that tournament going into a the semi-final, a match that they should have won against an average Australian team for T20 cricket. It was Pakistan's tournament to lose and they blew it.

Afghanistan is comfortably better than BD and slightly behind Pakistan. However, Afg seem to be more committed to win and show more intent than Pakistan which gives them the edge against top teams.

To be fair to Australia, they have a really tough group. India and Afghanistan (in these conditions) is not an easy challenge.

The good news for them is that they, along with England, are the two most likely sides to take India down, but if they lose to India it is almost certainly over. Bangladesh would need a miracle to topple Afghanistan.

The worst fear could come true - India and Afghanistan could meet in the final with Afghanistan rolling over for their papa as always.
I'm aware. All I can do is hope for the Aussies. But I have a feeling they'll lose to India.

They don't go Beast mode unless it's a final. Everywhere else their top class but not exactly unbeatable

Not that it matters for anything but Pakistan were comfortably the best team in that tournament. They had in-form batters and in-form bowlers, all of whom knew those conditions like the back of their hand, and much better than any other team in the tournament. Pakistan were unbeaten in that tournament going into a the semi-final, a match that they should have won against an average Australian team for T20 cricket. It was Pakistan's tournament to lose and they blew it.
Fair

I'm aware. All I can do is hope for the Aussies. But I have a feeling they'll lose to India.

They don't go Beast mode unless it's a final. Everywhere else their top class but not exactly unbeatable
I am hearing about rain. I think they have a reserve day if i am correct.

My bad. THen it is tough luck if it were to rain. They may get 5 over game which will be advantageous for Australia as they have more beasts in their ranks
I mean if it rains, I'll wish for England, SA and west Indies but I am not really an English, SA or WI supporter. It'll be just like watching passively.

No reserve days for SF as well.

And the forecast for the one in Guyana (where most likely India will play) is also extremely iffy. Atrocious planning by ICC.
Well as an aussie supporter I'm hoping for Bangladesh winning or rain ig

USA is clearly looking superior, having beaten Pakistan twice in their only match (including the super over). USA is in the Super 8s while Pakistan is already out. You should focus on winning matches before defending your team. There's no point in arguing when your team has nothing to show in the current World Cup.
We deserve this humiliation @Mamoon

I made a rough calculation

If Australia makes 170 and India gets bowled out for 130.. The NRR will become absolutely equal. It will be down to fractions. Both 0.95.
Yep. Remember that Indias NRR should be below Aus and Afg to lose the SF sport. As per ESPN, Aussies have to beat India by 41 runs and Afg needs to beat BD by 83 runs for Ind to miss out. These are pretty long odds.

it means India is going to defeat Australia now because they are looking in great touch and for bangladesh its almost impossible to take on red hot Afghanistan so India and Afghanistan are going through to semis?

it means India is going to defeat Australia now because they are looking in great touch and for bangladesh its almost impossible to take on red hot Afghanistan so India and Afghanistan are going through to semis?
Depends. India plays 3 matches on 3 different pitches. So not sure how they are going to adapt.

Yep. Remember that Indias NRR should be below Aus and Afg to lose the SF sport. As per ESPN, Aussies have to beat India by 41 runs and Afg needs to beat BD by 83 runs for Ind to miss out. These are pretty long odds.

Long but very possible

Congratulations Afghanistan. So happy for them.

Now if India beats Australia. I will whole heartedly pray Afghanistan beats BD with a big margin too. I want Afg to go semis.

Mere bhai, What did I ever do to you?

Back