Afghanistan (148/6) defeat Australia (127) by 21 runs in the Super 8 clash of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

I got goosebumps today to see this Afghan side win against the mighty Aussies. Afghans have nothing, were playing division 5 20 years ago and today they downed the topmost Super Power of Cricket.
Kudos!!!!

Afg don't have motivation against India is wrong info. They have played really hard against India when they really wanted to win. India is a strong team so beating them is not easy. They are docile in attitude against India as India is kinda their only friend in cricketing world at the moment. India is where their home ground is so it's understandable they are on their best behaviour playing against india
its quite evident by now their passion and aggression goes missing while playing against India.. and its a excuse that India is their only friend in cricketing world.. you cant bring the friendship onto field when playing against India.. weird way to complement the friendship 😂

Scenes. Afghanistan seals first-ever win over Australia with exceptional all-round display

Afghanistan overcame a second straight Pat Cummins hat-trick to collect one of the nation's best ever cricketing victories. Here's how it happened.

Afghanistan continues to shock the world, collecting their first ever win over cricketing powerhouse Australia.

It ends the Aussies' impressive unbeaten run at the ICC Men's T20 World Cup and the two teams are now neck-and-neck to join India through to the next phase of the tournament.

Australia's skipper Mitch Marsh won the toss and opted to field first -- a decision that may well have proven fatal.

Afghanistan took little time to make Marsh question whether he’d made the right decision.

The Afghans had a plan and it was executed out of the gate, staying patient and precise in the Powerplay. Scoring was feast or famine, a mixture of dots and boundaries, but importantly the Afghanistan openers didn’t give away their wickets.

Six boundaries led the pair to 40/0 through the first six overs, but the end of the Powerplay didn’t see scoring soften.

Afghanistan made drinks still with all 10 wickets in hand, at 64/0 at the innings mid-point.

On a pitch that was expected to suits spinners, Agar and Adam Zampa were attacked through the middle overs. That was highlighted by an expensive 13th from Zampa that included two boundaries - one on a misfield - a close LBW shout and a missed stumping opportunity that keeper Matthew Wade failed to convert.

Rahmanullah Gurbaz reached his 50 in the 15th over and then Ibrahim Zadran did the same five balls later, as Australia’s body language presented worrying signs for the tournament heavyweight.

Gurbaz went six and then out in the 16th over, as Marcus Stoinis delivered Australia’s long-awaited breakthrough scalp. And that turned the tide.

Zampa collected two wickets next over, including the crucial removal of Zadran, leaving the Afghans three down in the blink of an eye. The 18th over also went Australia’s way, as Pat Cummins conceded just four runs and picked up the wicket of Rashid Khan to round it out.

Having completed an unlikely hat-trick against Bangladesh, Cummins did the seemingly impossible and collected a second in as many games, giving the Aussies momentum at the close. He finished with figures of 28/3.

The Aussies dropped several catches and leaked runs defending the rope, execution that threatened to prove costly, leaving themselves plenty of work to be done with the bat. In what was a fierce battle, Afghanistan made around par for the course, finishing at 148/6 off their 20 overs.

Khan’s thorough homework and unsettling plans continued with the fresh ball, pivoting from in-form star Fazalhaq Farooqi to Naveen-ul-Haq. And it paid immediate dividends, with Naveen bowling Aussie opener Travis Head third delivery.

Naveen then did it again in his second over, removing Marsh with a slower ball, placing huge pressure on Australia.

It brought Glenn Maxwell to the crease – the hero in the teams’ ODI World Cup battle last year. Maxwell produced two nerve-settling boundaries in the fifth over, but the wicket of David Warner gave the Afghans firm ascendancy at the conclusion of the Powerplay. Australia had it all to do, stuck at 33/3 at the six-over mark.

Maxwell incited some déjà vu in the seventh over with two strong boundaries, before the Aussies reached 50 at the eight-over mark – consistent with the speed of Afghanistan’s first 10 overs batting.

Maxwell and Marcus Stoinis lifted Australia to 70/3 at the mid-point of the innings, before Stoinis fell (11 off 17) just after drinks.

Tim David (2 off 4) was also out cheaply, but a Maxwell maximum to end the 13th over took the danger man to a half-century off 35 balls.

Just as Afghanistan lost marginal hope, Gulbadin Naib stepped up to the plate and tempted Maxwell into one outside the off stump, which was superbly snatched by Noor Ahmad behind point.

It was all on the hat-trick hero Cummins when Wade (5 off 7) top-edged an attempted sweep, leaving the Aussies at 108/7, needing 41 runs off 29 balls. But he couldn't translate his form with the ball, swinging and missing to leave the Aussies in an even bigger hole with three overs to go and needing 36.

Afghanistan produced a masterclass in the field, converting every half chance into a scalp, which ultimately proved the difference. The wicket of Zampa trying to hit long down the ground had Australia all out for 127, 22 runs short of victory.

Gulbadin Naib picked up four wickets and took his own slice of history, becoming the first to do that in World Cup history - in both T20I and ODI cricket

The Afghans sealed one of the team’s most famous ever victories – their first over Australia. They have Bangladesh with their final Super Eight clash, while the Aussies have India.

ICC

Aussie win over India by 30 runs could jeopardize Indian qualification too. Afg margin only needs to be 40 runs in that case to go past India rr
No we have + 2.4 NRR .even we lost by 30-40 runs won't harm our qualification chance.

I got goosebumps today to see this Afghan side win against the mighty Aussies. Afghans have nothing, were playing division 5 20 years ago and today they downed the topmost Super Power of Cricket.
Kudos!!!!
Wasn't AFG using BCCI facilities for many years?

Happens to Bd against Pak as well but they become lions against Lanka and usually Indians except last game, dunno y
Afgans were very aggressive today against Aussies.. it might have to do with aussies refusing to tour Afg for any series

its quite evident by now their passion and aggression goes missing while playing against India.. and its a excuse that India is their only friend in cricketing world.. you cant bring the friendship onto field when playing against India.. weird way to complement the friendship 😂
Netherlands also lose motivation when they play pakistan. They do well against SA.

Happens to Bd against Pak as well but they become lions against Lanka and usually Indians except last game, dunno y
Our bodais did bring that aggression Vs India..but India slapped it out of our bodais so hard that while batting out bodais thought about how can i make sure i am not dropped in the next match.

SL team is really weak nowadays, so most of the time they can't slap the arrogance out of our bodais

Netherlands also lose motivation when they play pakistan. They do well against SA.
dude Afg doing well is not just because india has been their friend.. the love for cricket in Afg originated in refugee camps in Pakistan.. its a long debate but Afg dnt recognize this fact anymore.. so Pakistanis also stop talking about it..but it does nt change the fact.. before India , there was Pakistan that helped afghans start their cricket at professional level.. but it seems indians like to take all the credit for Afghan rise in cricket..

Our bodais did bring that aggression Vs India..but India slapped it out of our bodais so hard that while batting out bodais thought about how can i make sure i am not dropped in the next match.

SL team is really weak nowadays, so most of the time they can't slap the arrogance out of our bodais
I am all for Tanzim Sakib to be an arrogant as long as he can bring that killer delivery like the one against SKY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing would be more satisfying than us beating Australia and Afghanistan beating Bangladesh. Obviously, knocking out Australia from the WC would not compensate the ODI WC, but still. As a bonus, not letting Australia into the semis would be great for us if reach the finals

Nothing would be more satisfying than us beating Australia and Afghanistan beating Bangladesh. Obviously, knocking out Australia from the WC would not compensate the ODI WC, but still. As a bonus, not letting Australia into the semis would be great for us if reach the finals
What if you guys beat Aus and we beat Afg. Aus goes through because of NRR and beats you in the final. 😳

what about England ? you wish them to be knocked out too for 2022 scars.. or WI for 2016 lol.. it seems except south Africa .. elimination of every team will give Indians satisfaction..

But bring it the whole match. Not just one delivery and be like cats and get slapped like dud vat rest of the game
BD usually plays like that , aggression like that of Sreesanth not bothered about the game but a moment except Fizz, Fizz is the only one who seems calm and focused to win that the antics.

what about England ? you wish them to be knocked out too for 2022 scars.. or WI for 2016 lol.. it seems except south Africa .. elimination of every team will give Indians satisfaction..
England or westindies can win but beating Australia and eliminated them is more satisfying thing's for us.

We have some rivalry with them

Saffers, NZ and Afghans winning the cup will not bother majority Indian fans, doubt Sa or Afghans will but who knows

BD usually plays like that , aggression like that of Sreesanth not bothered about the game but a moment except Fizz, Fizz is the only one who seems calm and focused to win that the antics.

Fizz is a gentleman. It depends on the upbringing tbh.

I for one don't like my team like this. The unnecessary aggression. It would have been ok if they could walk the walk

it does nt matter at the moment. Cricket history is longer than last 2 years to judge greatness of sides
Use that argument on your fellow posters that keep bringing in India’s record of last 10 years in ICC tournaments if only history is that important

Saffers, NZ and Afghans winning the cup will not bother majority Indian fans, doubt Sa or Afghans will but who knows
saffers and Afg are not winning it.. thats the problem.. Afg will be a surprise team in semi but they rely too much on openers.. thy even dropped a batsman to play newbie today.. if you get their openers.. they will struggle.. for saffers.. too many weaknesses in batting

saffers and Afg are not winning it.. thats the problem.. Afg will be a surprise team in semi but they rely too much on openers.. thy even dropped a batsman to play newbie today.. if you get their openers.. they will struggle.. for saffers.. too many weaknesses in batting
Ok so you know how India beat them, we got their openers.

Ok so you know how India beat them, we got their openers.
we know India is superior team.. but so are the Aussies , NZ and Eng that have been beaten by this side in icc event.. i would nt call Pak superior.. but Afg dnt show same energy against India.. matches dnt even run close except for one that went into super over..

we know India is superior team.. but so are the Aussies , NZ and Eng that have been beaten by this side in icc event.. i would nt call Pak superior.. but Afg dnt show same energy against India.. matches dnt even run close except for one that went into super over..
Is WI superior? Afghans got smacked by them too.

Pakistan whitewashed Afghanistan 3-0 in the last bilateral series that was played between the two sides.

Yes, this pathetic team.
In that logic we beat Aus in all test series away and home(can’t recall last series they wont against us)but lost the important WTC so doesn’t make us better than them.

afg is currently playing better brand of cricket than Pak.. its a fact.. but superiority is not established by few good performances
Yet got whitewashed by one of the weakest teams Pakistan has put out.

USA beat us in a one-off game in a similar commanding performance, are they also superior than us now?

In that logic we beat Aus in all test series away and home(can’t recall last series they wont against us)but lost the important WTC so doesn’t make us better than them.
I think everyone agreed India was the better side, but are temperamentally too weak to win tournaments.

Just like our players have no belief that they can beat Rwanda in a World Cup game.

USA beat us in a one-off game in a similar commanding performance, are they also superior than us now?
problem is one off is becoming too many times.. 2022 it was Zimbabwe.. 2023 it was afg..although defeat to Afg is not embarrassing by any means.. they are good side.. 2024 ireland almost won the series against us and then also almost won last week too

problem is one off is becoming too many times.. 2022 it was Zimbabwe.. 2023 it was afg..although defeat to Afg is not embarrassing by any means.. they are good side.. 2024 ireland almost won the series against us and then also almost won last week too
We are inferior in skill-set against the better sides.

We are inferior in temperament and attitude against the lower ranked sides.

We are pathetic.

dude you are trying really hard to prove afg is better than Pak 😂 ok bro afg is better..

USA is clearly looking superior, having beaten Pakistan twice in their only match (including the super over). USA is in the Super 8s while Pakistan is already out. You should focus on winning matches before defending your team. There's no point in arguing when your team has nothing to show in the current World Cup.

USA is clearly looking superior, having beaten Pakistan twice in their only match (including the super over). USA is in the Super 8s while Pakistan is already out. You should focus on winning matches before defending your team. There's no point in arguing when your team has nothing to show in the current World Cup.
USA only won the super over. game was tie..they did nt beat us twice

Fizz is a gentleman. It depends on the upbringing tbh.

I for one don't like my team like this. The unnecessary aggression. It would have been ok if they could walk the walk

Actually the aggression is fine. It's better to be aggressive rather than submissive especially when the gulf in talent is huge.

The idea of being a superior team is absolutely meaningless in an ICC tournament. There was no team more superior than India in the last WC, who won? Same for 2021 T20 WC where Pakistan were comfortably the best team, followed by England. And neither of them even make the finals.

It's all about peaking at the right time and riding your momentum to the top.

@mominsaigol

As I told you couple of weeks back, Afghanistan is fully capable of beating Australia in these conditions. India is the only team that remains beyond their skill-set because India can beat them at their own game.
My precious team lost today 😭😭. Its fine though, congrats to Afghanistan amd they've played extremely well this whole tournament.

So either you did not ask for a dua for Pakistan, or you did and it didn't work. Which one is it?
Why would I ask dua for Pakistan team? I hate current Pakistan side. I don't like supporting a team that can't even support itself and has interal turmoil atm.

I'll support Pakistan once I feel that they are a gelled team. They don't have to be the best, they can be Afghanistan or heck even Nepal as long as they gell and fight as a unit thats passionate about cricket and not a dosti Mall club.

The idea of being a superior team is absolutely meaningless in an ICC tournament. There was no team more superior than India in the last WC, who won? Same for 2021 T20 WC where Pakistan were comfortably the best team, followed by England. And neither of them even make the finals.

Pakistan wasn't the best team in 2021 wc, they were the most confident though, and that's why they were dominating. India was at peak on paper but ended up being injury ridden and kohli was an awful captain. SA, England and NZ were also superior on paper but SA had their choke mentality as usual and England was disorganised. NZ also just like Pakistan turned off against Australia.

They botched the aussie game big time. They dominated Australia for 80% of the game until they lost the plot.

'Our journey starts now': Afghanistan's instant vow to continue freakish cricketing rise

They have done it.

If Afghanistan's group stage domination of New Zealand wasn't quite impressive enough, try Auatralia in the Super Eight.

Judging by the reactions, as they sealed their most famous ever cricketing win and first over the Aussies, this meant not just plenty, but everything.

It was reward for an enormous two-decade rise up the cricketing ranks and a result that shocked the world far more than it shocked themselves.

Rashid Khan and Afghanistan turned up with plans for both innings, ideas that had the potential to disrupt Australia's momentum, and executed with aplomb.

They beat Australia at their own game, taking their chances in the field and winning the Powerplay exchange.

Afghanistan had already announced itself as a tournament contender, but other heavyweights are now firmly aware of what this team is capable of.

Gulbadin Naib, who collected a history-making four wickets, confirmed that the best is yet to come for this team. Maybe at this T20 World Cup, maybe not. But make no mistake, as a cricketing force, Afghanistan isn’t going anywhere.

“Our journey starts now,” Gulbadin said when collecting his Player of the Match award.

“(Australia) is a big team, a world champion team, so for our cricket it’s a big achievement (that) we can carry to the next level. In the last 10 years, we achieved a lot of goals, so this is the big achievement in our cricket. It’s a great moment, not only for me, but my nation, my people. We were waiting (to beat Australia) for a long time.”

Rashid’s top-order stuck around, his fielders were clutch and his bowlers stuck to the plan.

Australia’s batting line-up were never afforded a chance to settle into any kind of rhythm.

Eight Afghan players got a chance with the ball – Gulbadin being one of them. And he repaid the faith in spades, becoming the first ever player in World Cup cricket - across both ODIs and T20Is - to take four wickets as the eighth bowling option.

And fittingly, Mohammad Nabi’s catch at long on was the act that sealed the win in the last over – an Afghan veteran that’s been there for much of the team’s mission up the ICC ranks. He’s been a part of wins against 45 nations now.

And if Afghanistan progresses past the Super Eight stage, there’s a chance that number can rise further yet.

ICC

Last edited:
My precious team lost today 😭😭. Its fine though, congrats to Afghanistan amd they've played extremely well this whole tournament.
To be fair to Australia, they have a really tough group. India and Afghanistan (in these conditions) is not an easy challenge.

The good news for them is that they, along with England, are the two most likely sides to take India down, but if they lose to India it is almost certainly over. Bangladesh would need a miracle to topple Afghanistan.

The worst fear could come true - India and Afghanistan could meet in the final with Afghanistan rolling over for their papa as always.

fear could come true - India and Afghanistan could meet in the final with Afghanistan rolling over for their papa as always.
For india - Afghanistan finale ,India to face england in semi and Afghanistan to face South Africa

Only from there they can meet in final .

For india - Afghanistan finale ,India to face england in semi and Afghanistan to face South Africa

Only from there they can meet in final .
Yes. India will start as favorites vs England and Afghanistan will also be favorites vs South Africa if the pitch is conductive to spin which it probably will.

If Afghanistan make it to the semifinals you can bet that each and every player will be leaving his heart and soul on the pitch and the intensity and commitment will be unbelievable.

But of course it will be a different story if they are playing India in the final, you won’t be able to differentiate between them and Uganda.

45 runs to be exact! At 45 run margin, India and Australia will have exactly same NRR and Australia will be above India because of H2H result. but Afghanistan would need to beat Bangladesh by 66 runs in that case!
Then Australia and Afghanistan will qualify.
I feel sorry to most of PP s here as they are struggling to find out the ways to eliminate India out of Semi Finals. But to their bad luck, India is already in Semis and most probably lifting the cup. India loosing to Australia by 50/ 60 runs is a day dream. Even if they loose, it would be less than 20 runs.
45 runs to be exact! At 45 run margin, India and Australia will have exactly same NRR and Australia will be above India because of H2H result. but Afghanistan would need to beat Bangladesh by 66 runs in that case!
Then Australia and Afghanistan will qualify.

Agree with this. Team can have good day or bad day. Thats the reason I propose best of three finals always

Mitchell Marsh (Australia Captain) post-match Press Conference - 22nd June 2024

[Reporter:]

Obviously, a tough defeat there what do you kind of put it down to - what do you put the defeat down to Mitch?

[Mitch Marsh:]

Well, I mean first things first I thought Afghanistan were really good and they outplayed us and they deserved to win that game. There's a lot of things you can look at, the reality is there's small margins here. When the scores are low, we had an off-one in the field. But yeah, got to give credit where credit is due and Afghanistan was pretty good.

There's two off nights in the field I guess in this tournament, going back to the Scotland game, Mitch, is there a theme running through both games? Is it an area of concern for you guys?

Look I think we don't want to have too many off nights in the field but I also believe that at our best we're an unbelievable fielding side so it's easy to look at tonight and yes it was disappointing but ultimately, we have 36 hours to turn it around and I still believe that our best is very good in the field.

In all the time playing for Australia, can you remember a night as off as that in the field? The standards are usually so high, was that the worst you can remember?

We certainly pride ourselves on our fielding. Can't question the boys putting in the work. I think it's no different to any other skill set. We put in the work, we didn't execute in the field tonight and ultimately it played a part in us losing the game.

And mate, can you just talk us through the decision to leave Mitchell Starc out? Obviously the second spinner was required in the conditions but just Mitchell being the person to miss?

Yeah, look I think anytime you make a decision like that - Starkie's unlucky in a sense, but we've said right from the start of the tournament that we've got 15 guys here and we'll pick a team that we think can win us the game in those certain conditions and everything pointed towards Ash [Ashton Agar] tonight and I thought he did a brilliant job. Four overs, one for 15. He was outstanding. The reality is when you've got this much talent, someone's always lucky to miss out.

I know it's always easy to say after the game's finished, but did you miss Mitchell in the power play? Obviously, you're taking the 15 overs to get a breakthrough

Yeah, look I don't think the game was won or lost in the power play tonight.

I know it's obviously a disappointing loss, but not in this moment, but can you just kind of put your losses aside and just talk about Afghanistan and what it means to them and world cricket, just how historic this moment is.

Well, yeah, obviously they're a good side. And they're not an Associate nation, they're a very good cricket team who play against the best all the time and they have improved a hell of a lot over the last few years. We know certainly in these conditions that they are a big danger team. Like I said before, they outplayed us tonight and credit to them.

Is there any fear at all that, because once you saw the first couple of games at St. Vincent, there was talk of the pitch could turn and there was so much talk about the pitch. Do you think maybe that had anything to do with anything that happened today? Because there was so much talk about the pitch.

Nothing surprised us today. We knew what to expect with the wicket. I don't think it changed over the 40-over period. We knew what to expect, we didn't quite execute and that's no different to playing in any other conditions, I think.

And just finally, the fact that the turnaround now is literally 30 hours and it's a must-win game against India who are unbeaten. Can you take us through what the next 30 hours look like for you before the game begins?

First things first, recover. We have a lot of belief in our group. We are a very good cricket team. Yes, tonight we had an off night but I guess there's also a positive in the fact that in 36 hours we go again. It's a big game, it will be against India obviously and it's a must-win game. I think if you look back at the short history of this team, I know for a fact that it brings out the best in our guys, so the boys will certainly be up and about for it.

Did you feel like they came into this game with a greater sense of purpose given what had happened in the previous World Cup last year between Australia and Afghanistan? We could feel that in their body language, their wicketkeeper seemed animated and did you feel that inside the boundary line as well? Was that a factor do you think of?

That's probably a question for Afghanistan - but they play a high energy brand of cricket and as I said, I think they're a very good cricket side they were very well drilled tonight and they deserved to win.

And did you feel like Maxwell's wicket was the turning point perhaps or no?

It was obviously a big wicket and he was batting beautifully but I think there's a lot of things that you could go through in a game where the margins are so small.

33-3, three early wickets. How much pressure did that put on the rest of the order and did the wicket itself assist the batsmen or the bowlers in your estimation?

Well, yeah, I mean generally speaking in T20 cricket, if you're 3 for 30 you're behind the game. As I said, I don't think - yeah, how do I answer that? Yeah, being 3 for 30 is not ideal in a run chase.

How did the wicket change?

The pitch. The wicket didn't deteriorate over the course of the game so it was even for both sides.

Just on you as a batter Mitch like trying to get into a tournament like this obviously got a good side ball tonight and it can be hard in T20 cricket, right? Like how do you, you obviously can't really get in the nets to work on whatever it is you might want to work on but yeah is it kind of a good thing that the games are coming thick and fast for you just personally as a matter of fact?

Yeah, I think something we speak about as a batting unit is just having impact. When the scores are a bit lower, it sometimes looks and feels a bit different. I haven't actually got going yet in this tournament, but for me it's about just, yeah, I mean for everyone it's about staying true to our preparation. We know, and we've done this plenty of times before in international cricket, we play a lot of cricket back-to-back, it's all about recovery and moving on pretty quickly to the next game.

Mitch, you mentioned that this team sort of like having their backs to the wall. I guess what's the message around that now in the 34 hours that you've got until you play India?

Yeah, I think that's really clear for us. It's all about trusting ourselves. Like I said, we had an off night tonight, but we've stayed focused on what we're about as a team. We've got a good bunch of people and I believe our best is up there with the best. So, we need to bring that on whatever day it is in a couple of days’ time and move forward pretty quickly.

Rashid Khan (Afghanistan Captain) post-match Press Conference - 22nd June 2024

I saw an interview with you before this tournament about how [Glenn] Maxwell's innings last year kept you awake at night. Did you have a moment there that you thought you might be having some more sleepless nights?

[Rashid Khan:]

Yeah, I think so. I think I can sleep better now. But that was a night which didn't let me sleep. The game kept coming into my mind and it was 90 plus percent we were in the game and Maxi the way he played that that night took the game away from us and definitely I didn't sleep whole night and I feel like tonight because of the happiness I won't be able to sleep. That's how happy the whole team is in the whole country. And it's a massive win for us as a team, as a nation. It's not just like a bilateral game. It's a World Cup game, and definitely in a World Cup, you're beating a best side. It's a great achievement. And you're the winners of 2021 World Cup. So, beating a team like that, I think it always gives you so much energy and doesn't let you to sleep as well.

First of all, I know how huge this is for you and for your nation who has just started their day back home in Afghanistan. On my way to this conference, lots of Australians bumped into me and they wanted me to tell you how proud they were of you. What does it mean to you, and what do you think it means to Afghanistan as a cricketing nation?

Well, it means a lot. As I said earlier, beating teams like Australia, as we have beaten teams in 2023 World Cup, we have beaten New Zealand this year. It gives the people back home so much hopes and especially to the young generation getting involved into the cricket and getting the attention into the sports and also the nation - cricket is the only source of happiness back home, you all know that. And I feel like we are so lucky to be here giving those happiness to the people back home. We hardly see those kind of events back home where they could celebrate and enjoy those moments. But these little games, big games, to be honest, in the World Cups, give them so much happiness. And that's something which really, really satisfy me. I don't care about taking one wicket, two, three, five, six wickets - but when I see those people having those smiles and celebration back home in every street of Afghanistan, that is something which gives me so much, so much energy and also motivates me for the upcoming games, where I will be able to make them more proud. As a team we can make them more proud and give them more happiness.

Rashid, have you ever seen Australia field like that, dropping so many catches and so many missed fields? And did you think that was a big difference in the match, particularly how well Afghanistan fielded?

Well, I think fielding is something very important. It plays a massive role in the game. Either you play T20 or ODI, but fielding is something which is under the control. That you have to put the effort in - once you have that bad day in the fielding. It always keeps you away from the game and I think in T20 especially a short format where you make those small mistakes, it's pretty hard for you to come back. In ODI, yes, you have 50 overs where you can have the comeback. But to me, I think in T20, you don't have any excuse. You don't have any space where you can come back again into the game. And definitely, I think fielding play a crucial role as the batting and bowling. To me, batting and bowling is 25-25. 50% is something which is fielding. If you lose something in that, it does make you to a losing side.

Rashid, for years we've been saying Gulbadin [Naib] do that [celebration] after taking wickets. So, what does it mean to him and you guys? He is such a senior member of this side. Four wickets today, the great catch and obviously a lot of showing off his biceps and just can you talk about him?

Well, his muscle, he's always celebrating those, that style. Either he takes wicket, take catch, whatever he does, that is his celebration and that's the way he celebrates his success and I'm so happy for him the way he stood up. It wasn't an easy for him to bowl from that end, where that strong wind and a bowler like him, it's pretty hard. But he just used his experience, and he has been playing for Afghanistan for long. So, I think that experience really help us today and that's how you keep those big players for the big games and he honestly got the opportunity he delivered.

Dwayne Bravo was seen patrolling the boundary and that on two occasions, he spoke to your bowlers - once at backward square and sometime at fine leg. How impactful was his involvement during that match in getting your bowlers to remain focused?

Well, I think we as a team, we have the kind of batters, the bowlers where they always need that reminder. Sometimes they forget the things what we discuss in the meeting. Coach is here - He's looking at me. So, he knows as well, especially in the batting department as well, whenever we forget some things we discuss in the meeting, coach is there, head coach, he keeps reminding them. And that's something, side like this, you need to have those people who reminds the things to you and same DJ, the bowler sometime in the heat moment of the game, they forget the things what we planned for specific batsman and DJ is always there to remind them what we had planned and what we are doing. So that's the kind of discussion we always have and I feel there are some players who need reminders, some players they have things in their mind and experience. So, our side, once they are well guided, I think they know where to go and how to deliver.

Your wicket keeper Gurbaz looked pretty fired up today, particularly with Marcus Stoinis. Can you just kind of maybe explain what might have been behind that. Did he, like, who kind of started it?

Well, some guys in the team, they need that kind of fire up. Once they keep silent, they forget how good they are and they need the kind of fire up in the middle. And to be honest, in this game, most happiest thing I have seen was the running between the wicket, between Ibrahim and Gurbaz. And it all came from those sledging, I feel. They had that kind of conversation. While watching from outside, I felt like they had the competition with the fielders. I'm going to take two runs. I'm going to take one run and things like that. So, what happened with that is that kept them involved in the game, and they focused on scoring runs. I think the advantage went to us because we had that perfect 100 run partnership. In a wicket like this, I think it's always a wicket of 130-140. If you have a good bowling lineup, we have seen a few games before as well. So yeah, I think we should keep him the same in upcoming games as well where he gets his own energy but we don't want him to keep quiet. That's something some players do need – that fire up.

Is there any extra level of feeling beating Australia given they've declined to play against Afghanistan in bilateral cricket recently?

Just in terms of the satisfaction of beating Australia or the emotion of beating Australia? Is there any more to that because Australia has declined to play against Afghanistan recently?

Well, we the sportsmen and we love sports. People back home, they love sports. And I mentioned earlier, cricket is the only source of happiness back home. That's the only source left in Afghanistan where people could celebrate. And if we keep that source away from us as well, I don't know where Afghanistan will remain. Nowadays, all around the world, if you go somewhere, you ask someone, I'm from Afghanistan. The next thing he says, any of the cricketer name that he's playing there, he's playing there. But once you take this source and happiness as well from us, I think it's going to be hard for us.

So, we the sportsmen, we only think about the cricket. As we all the time, everyone is saying, sports bring the nation together and bring everyone together. So, for me, we're always happy to play against any side, and that's the only way where our cricket can get improving day by day. Some things, which is not under the control of anyone in cricket, and that's something we can't do anything about it. Wish we could do something, and wish that was a kind of solution for it, we would have been happy, but I don't know what's the solution for that. But we as a nation, that's the only source where we could play, enjoy, bring happiness to the country, and we get better day by day.

So, we're happy to play any side, but some - as I mentioned earlier, some things, government, and political things, I don't know much about these things and I don't like it as well. So, I have no answer for this, but my only thing always in the mind is I love to play against the big teams. I love to travel all around the world to play and I have received so much so much love from everyone. Whenever I go to Australia in Big Bash, I think I have got so much love and support from the fans there. They have given me so much love. Even though in 2022 World Cup, when we were playing in Adelaide against Australia, I got more support than them. And that was so satisfying. Playing here in Australia, I'm from Afghanistan and I'm getting that massive support and every city I go the huge amount of support is there and people loves giving me so much loves in that hospitality, especially the tough days in 2019 my dad passed away so that was the hardest time for me when I was in Australia. And the amount of love and support I got from everyone in the team, and also the fans, I think I call them a family.

So, I have so much fans there, so much people there. But as I said, I love to play everywhere all around the world. And those things which are not under the control, and cricket is not the solution, I don't think we can bring sports into that. If there is other solution, you can take that. But don't think cricket is the solution of politics and things like that. So, yeah, if we play in World Cup, why don't we play in bilateral series? I think we're happy to play against the best side. We learn from them. We get better day by day. But that's the only thing I can say.

Current team of Pakistan looses 9 out of 10 times to Afghanistan for sure. But Pak cannot digest this fact since they think that they only taught cricket to Afg and Afg should not be stronger than Pak. But Afg has become skillful and professional/ strong in India by playing IPL regularly. India knows Afg strength and weakness due to their acquaintance with Afg. However, Pakistan cannot digest India winning against Afg comfortably and hence claims that Afg is always soft and submissive to India which is not true and it is as good as insulting Afg.

Congratulations to Afghanistan. This tournament takes another twist. If it wasn't for the awful New York/Florida leg, this would be amongst the best T20 World Cup editions.

Australia fielded like they were drinking too much of the local rum. Very uncharacteristic of them.

I feel sorry to most of PP s here as they are struggling to find out the ways to eliminate India out of Semi Finals. But to their bad luck, India is already in Semis and most probably lifting the cup. India loosing to Australia by 50/ 60 runs is a day dream. Even if they loose, it would be less than 20 runs.
India being eliminated before semis or AFG not getting to semis. What do they want more. Which heartbreak will be easier to bear :dhoni

That was in ODI's. PAK actually lost the last T20I bilateral series to Afghan
Pakistan was over confident to send fringe players for that series.. you can call that series lucky win for afg..actual test of superiority was that odi series that requires more skill and temperament to win
Current team of Pakistan looses 9 out of 10 times to Afghanistan for sure. But Pak cannot digest this fact since they think that they only taught cricket to Afg and Afg should not be stronger than Pak. But Afg has become skillful and professional/ strong in India by playing IPL regularly. India knows Afg strength and weakness due to their acquaintance with Afg. However, Pakistan cannot digest India winning against Afg comfortably and hence claims that Afg is always soft and submissive to India which is not true and it is as good as insulting Afg.
lol on your assessment that current Pak team looses 9 out of 10 times to Afg. thats a big statement . we know Afghans are very good right now. but Pakistan is not that bad to loose 9 games to Afg 😂 they have got conditions that suit them in WI. if India knows Afg players inside out due to ipl , so should Afg players know Indian players.. it works both ways. Afg plays timid cricket against Indians.. reasons are obvious.. ipl contracts.. world can see the level of intensity they bring into games goes down drastically against India.. its not a secret.

Pakistan was over confident to send fringe players for that series.. you can call that series lucky win for afg..actual test of superiority was that odi series that requires more skill and temperament to win

lol on your assessment that current Pak team looses 9 out of 10 times to Afg. thats a big statement . we know Afghans are very good right now. but Pakistan is not that bad to loose 9 games to Afg 😂 they have got conditions that suit them in WI. if India knows Afg players inside out due to ipl , so should Afg players know Indian players.. it works both ways. Afg plays timid cricket against Indians.. reasons are obvious.. ipl contracts.. world can see the level of intensity they bring into games goes down drastically against India.. its not a secret.
In a 10 match Pak-Afg bilateral, I'd back Pak even today to beat Afg the majority of times, even if it is only 6-4.

I've seen Afg playing Pak collapse from winning positions so many times, play with scrambled brains, take dumb decisions in crunch moments like which bowler to bring back or simply just choke. They have lost games they dominated. And these are tournament matches as I don't think I've ever watch a bilateral between you guys. So, Afg have a similar issue vs Pak as is being claimed about their lack of spirit vs India.

The real problem Pakistanis have is actually simple - why aren't the games vs Ind as close as they are vs us. It's because Afg is more competitive against an inconsistent side like Pak who within a game can fluctuate multiple times. India are also more familiar with their big players. When Afg turned up for their debut test, I remember them being excited and full of josh. But it all collapsed very soon when Dhawan destroyed their top star spinners and the test match turned farcical.

Indians also have gotten inside their best bowler's heads too. Surya especially, but most of the bastmen don't look intimidated or respectful when Rashid comes on. Look at the way Virat treated Naveen in the last game. Virat is inside Naveen's head since their fight in the IPL and has treated him like a club bowler since. It's to Kohli's credit that he achieved this through a combination of sledging and actual cricketing skill and also importantly, not fearing the failure and shame if this combo didn't work out.

In a 10 match Pak-Afg bilateral, I'd back Pak even today to beat Afg the majority of times, even if it is only 6-4.

I've seen Afg playing Pak collapse from winning positions so many times, play with scrambled brains, take dumb decisions in crunch moments like which bowler to bring back or simply just choke. They have lost games they dominated. And these are tournament matches as I don't think I've ever watch a bilateral between you guys. So, Afg have a similar issue vs Pak as is being claimed about their lack of spirit vs India.

The real problem Pakistanis have is actually simple - why aren't the games vs Ind as close as they are vs us. It's because Afg is more competitive against an inconsistent side like Pak who within a game can fluctuate multiple times. India are also more familiar with their big players. When Afg turned up for their debut test, I remember them being excited and full of josh. But it all collapsed very soon when Dhawan destroyed their top star spinners and the test match turned farcical.

Indians also have gotten inside their best bowler's heads too. Surya especially, but most of the bastmen don't look intimidated or respectful when Rashid comes on. Look at the way Virat treated Naveen in the last game. Virat is inside Naveen's head since their fight in the IPL and has treated him like a club bowler since. It's to Kohli's credit that he achieved this through a combination of sledging and actual cricketing skill and also importantly, not fearing the failure and shame if this combo didn't work out.
well you wrote a long statement but you got one thing wrong. its not only Pakistan that Afg plays really well. its the other teams as well. cwc it was eng and now vs nz Australia.. all these teams are better than Pakistan. in fact We can put eng and Aus in same basket as India as far quality goes. look at comments of Afghan Players. M nabi is thanking God they won against Aus. they were waiting for a very long time. what does that tell you? they wanted to win against Aussies who are by far superior side. they tried multiple times and eventually did. this wish to defeat India is missing..why? because Afg considers India friend? 😂😂😂

Tom Moody, speaking to a sports media outlet:

"I don't think I've seen Australia field as poorly as what we saw tonight. They missed a couple of chances, yes, there were a couple of very difficult chances, but they were just sloppy with general ground fielding. And to me, it's one thing that Australian cricket has always had a lot of pride in, themselves, with their fielding. They normally are the standout in that area, and those 20 overs in the field, but they were off the mark in the field tonight, which was unlike them, and ultimately, it cost them."

well you wrote a long statement but you got one thing wrong. its not only Pakistan that Afg plays really well. its the other teams as well. cwc it was eng and now vs nz Australia.. all these teams are better than Pakistan. in fact We can put eng and Aus in same basket as India as far quality goes. look at comments of Afghan Players. M nabi is thanking God they won against Aus. they were waiting for a very long time. what does that tell you? they wanted to win against Aussies who are by far superior side. they tried multiple times and eventually did. this wish to defeat India is missing..why? because Afg considers India friend? 😂😂😂
If you're looking to find ways to make your day even more miserable, I'm not coming in your way buddy :dhoni

Tom Moody, speaking to a sports media outlet:

"I don't think I've seen Australia field as poorly as what we saw tonight. They missed a couple of chances, yes, there were a couple of very difficult chances, but they were just sloppy with general ground fielding. And to me, it's one thing that Australian cricket has always had a lot of pride in, themselves, with their fielding. They normally are the standout in that area, and those 20 overs in the field, but they were off the mark in the field tonight, which was unlike them, and ultimately, it cost them."
But part of the reason was Afghanistan's insane running between the wickets. They put on an exhibition. They played unusually very sensibly like one dayers. So they came in with a clear target in the mind. They literally rattled Aussies with running between wickets which led to misfields.

Fringe players were the likes of Mohammad Haris, Azam Khan, Ihsanullah, Saim Ayub etc. who fans and PPers assured us were better than the incumbents and actually made the side better. If anything Afghans deserve extra credit for winning that.

I disagree with the latter part of your assertion. The 2 formats require different skills. ODI skillset has little bearing on T20 skillset and vice versa.

If you're looking to find ways to make your day even more miserable, I'm not coming in your way buddy :dhoni
Im not a kind of person who gets miserable because other teams win. you can counter the argument. it does have some truth attached to it. Rashid Khan says Afg fans and team were eagerly waiting for this day. are they eager to do the same against Ind? or lets say they win a meaningless bilateral match at any point in future.. would Afg players be giving same interviews and statements?

Fringe players were the likes of Mohammad Haris, Azam Khan, Ihsanullah, Saim Ayub etc. who fans and PPers assured us were better than the incumbents and actually made the side better. If anything Afghans deserve extra credit for winning that.

I disagree with the latter part of your assertion. The 2 formats require different skills. ODI skillset has little bearing on T20 skillset and vice versa.
yes thats where Pak got over confident. and matches were played in Sharjah which is afg’s fav venue to topple teams. you forgot to add tayyab tahir as well. half of the side were put in thinking these guys are better. but in international cricket you need experience and Afg had that. still Pakistan eventually defeated them comfortably in final game of series with fringe players .

Im not a kind of person who gets miserable because other teams win. you can counter the argument. it does have some truth attached to it. Rashid Khan says Afg fans and team were eagerly waiting for this day. are they eager to do the same against Ind? or lets say they win a meaningless bilateral match at any point in future.. would Afg players be giving same interviews and statements?
Nobody will dare trolling INdia lol Their life will become miserable. Case in point Naveen Ali posting a troll tweet about Kohli. He literally had to beg Kohli to calm thigns down.

But part of the reason was Afghanistan's insane running between the wickets. They put on an exhibition. They played unusually very sensibly like one dayers. So they came in with a clear target in the mind. They literally rattled Aussies with running between wickets which led to misfields.
glad to know that you feel Afg’s mindset just from their running between wickets. thats what you call intensity and eagerness to win. i rate this Afg team very highly.. but if Afg Ind final happens.. they will meekly roll over

Kudos!!!!
Australia was the last of the big teams to win a t20 title. They were never all that great in t20.

glad to know that you feel Afg’s mindset just from their running between wickets. thats what you call intensity and eagerness to win. i rate this Afg team very highly.. but if Afg Ind final happens.. they will meekly roll over

Did i say they didn't try that against India? They were not alowed to. They are dependent on openers. After that it is a lottery. Bumrah nailed Gurbaz early. Game over for them.

India vs Australia is all set to be washed out in St.Lucia. 80% chance of rain with thunderstorms predicted.

All Afghanistan needs to do is win by hook or crook against Bangladesh.

Back