Afghanistan (148/6) defeat Australia (127) by 21 runs in the Super 8 clash of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

This is not the thread for the Australia India game. Please do not derail the thread. Talk about Afghanistan and Australia game only.

if you look at Afg opening pair.. they resemble babar and Rizwan in style of play and strike rate too. but its their bowling that makes difference. Pak does nt have bowling to defend the scores between 150-160 and for that babar and rizwan are criticized for not scoring enough runs

This is why you never bowl first at Arnos Vale. Bat first venue.

Why would Marsh be dumb enough to bowl first knowing they have to face Afghan bowlers on this pitch while chasing ?

Did they underestimate Afghan bowling on these pitches?
Yup awful decision to bowl first. I don't know what he was thinking. This is why Cummins should be captaining in all 3 formats.

Yup awful decision to bowl first. I don't know what he was thinking.
They probably thought it was Indian wickets where "dew" will help them out. There is no dew here. If they had watched SA vs NEpal, Nepal vs BD match they would not have chosen to field first.

It's a high scoring venue with lots of 200 plus totals
Works for Aus. You can at least score big and there is chance for other side to lose by a big margin. Tricky pitch won't allow that.

@castortroy you was talking about toss in ever threads You said that whoever won the toss and chased will win but guess most of games won by batting first. :kp Its not a UAE where Toss become most important factors

This is why you never bowl first at Arnos Vale. Bat first venue.

Why would Marsh be dumb enough to bowl first knowing they have to face Afghan bowlers on this pitch while chasing ?

Did they underestimate Afghan bowling on these pitches?
Were they waiting for the dew?

if you look at Afg opening pair.. they resemble babar and Rizwan in style of play and strike rate too. but its their bowling that makes difference. Pak does nt have bowling to defend the scores between 150-160 and for that babar and rizwan are criticized for not scoring enough runs
I followed Pak cricket in 90s. After that not so much. It's surreal to see a new test playing side having better bowling than Pak..the 90s me would never have believed that watching wasin Waqar shoiab saqlain

What a victory by Afh- they absolutely deserved it! But it was very un Australian like with the Aussie fielding poor today. and Afg fielding won them the game tosay. Noors catch was brilliant and Naveens ball to Head was an absolute corker !! Really thrilling game - good for cricket!

Makes the tournament more exciting now. Aus vs ind will be a cracker jacker now as will be ban vs afg. But afg play last so they have an edge there. Has been a pretty exciting t20wc this!! But 👍

Australia is going to lose the match let alone 50 runs win
Aussies did nt look serious today tbh. they took the game easy. gave away at least 20 runs extra through horrendous fielding … let their openers off the hook easily.. team like Aus that has won about 10 icc trophies.. they might not be interested to win this one at all.. i do not see that hunger from them in this tournament

WHile discussing all the other things we should appreciate some of the outstanding things that happened

1) Great opening partnership
2) Ball of the tournament from Naveen who has the closest action to Bumrah
3) Catch of the tournament . Noor taking Maxwell
4) Series of forward diving catches by Afghanistan
5) incisive spell from Gulbadin

Apart from few blemishes these brilliances on the fielder outnumbered their errors.

One of the greatest world T20 match in history. Who would have thought.

If USA takes Cricket seriously and invest a ton of money, they are probably one country that can challenge Australia dominance in Cricket.

Aussies did nt look serious today tbh. they took the game easy. gave away at least 20 runs extra through horrendous fielding … let their openers off the hook easily.. team like Aus that has won about 10 icc trophies.. they might not be interested to win this one at all.. i do not see that hunger from them in this tournament
Nah, Afghanistan was just too good for Aus and that too without spinners doing much damage. Aus should have not chased in this venue. Not sure why they decided to chase.

Excuse, excuse and excuse. Afghanistan almost beat them in 2023 world cup also but Maxwell catch was dropped and that freak innings won the game for Australia.

Aussies will be the first one to take offense to this lol They are never unserious even bilaterals. They are there to win matches.

I followed Pak cricket in 90s. After that not so much. It's surreal to see a new test playing side having better bowling than Pak..the 90s me would never have believed that watching wasin Waqar shoiab saqlain
Pak bowling has gone down in quality just recently. may be a year only into that. before that Pakistan team also relied on their bowling to restrict sides. some interesting stats that Pakistan is only team to defend most scores between 150-160. it used to be winning total for Pakistanis also.. Afg are replicating that. but they have glaring weaknesses.. if you get openers early.. it becomes difficult for afg to cross 140 even

Excuse, excuse and excuse. Afghanistan almost beat them in 2023 world cup also but Maxwell catch was dropped and that freak innings won the game for Australia.
im talking about their intent to win the tourney dude..they might not beat ind too as some people think here

If USA takes Cricket seriously and invest a ton of money, they are probably one country that can challenge Australia dominance in Cricket.
Nope. Won't happen. Best athletes in the country go to many other sports. It's still an expat game and will be for.decades

Afghanistan needs to beat Bangladesh and india needs to beat australia so only this way Afghanistan can reach in Semifinals as their NRR is negative .

Afghanistan fans are now making a plea to India to knock Australia out. Hope at least for their sake India beats Australia.

im talking about their intent to win the tourney dude..they might not beat ind too as some people think here
What a joke. They came here to win the trophy. Now Just because tbey lost against Afghanistan you're talking about their intent. Lol

This is the only team that has the chance to hold Test, ODI and T20 world cups ever in history. Ever!! I think thrynar3 under pressure because of this. So, what's happening here is an exact opposite to what you said.

Ha ha ha Afg what did you do man, now our idiots are in talk for the semis🤣🤣
BD need to have the same "qudrat" as Pakistan to have that possibility. Last time Ned triggered a collapse of RSA which eventually led Pak to even almost winning the championship!

What a joke. They came here to win the trophy. Now Just because tbey lost against Afghanistan you're talking about their intent. Lol
i might be wrong.. but they did nt look serious today.. maxy was all smiles while they were 3 down.. and they wanted to field on a pitch where teams like to set a target. bite me

i might be wrong.. but they did nt look serious today.. maxy was all smiles while they were 3 down.. and they wanted to field on a pitch where teams like to set a target. bite me
It's Australia. They are always professional. Any win against them is earned. Aus just don't give away victories.

Yea.. whenever they lose they don't take it seriously. Whenever they win they take it seriously. I guess SCotland didn't take the game seriously against Australia because they were laughing lol

Afghanistan have gr8 chance to make it to semis… they need to beat Bangladesh as India is beating Australia

Aus is the one team which hates losing any match.

All three scenarios are possible now:
1. Aus hammers India, Afg hammers BD.
2. Ind hammers Aus, Afg hammers BD.
3. Ind hammers Aus, BD hammers Afg.

Works for Aus. You can at least score big and there is chance for other side to lose by a big margin. Tricky pitch won't allow that.
Aus may have to beat ind by 70 to 80 runs I guess .it's quite huge margin in t20s.India can target the baseline instead of chasing the improbable one in that case.

what a wicked format this super 8 is. In other group even RSA can be knocked if they lose their last game.

what a wicked format this super 8 is. In other group even RSA can be knocked if they lose their last game.
Loving this ! Makes the tournament so exciting. Any 2 out of WI SA Eng can go to semis. Ind almost is in SF; and any of Aus or Afg can go to semis. Cracker jacker games coming up ! Time to tighten your seat belt folks and enjoy the ride !(y)

50-70 runs is huge margin in t20s.. they had better rr before today’s game and defeat of 20 runs took away 2 points from rr.. win of 20-30 runs could be enuf
If Aus win by 20 runs then India's NRR will not go tmdown drastically either. NRR is difference of runs scored/overs and runs conceded/runs. Indias Runs scored is very high 196+182. So that factor will always help Indja. Also defeating both BD and Afg by 40 runs or more helped. Aus NRR of 2.xx was based on one game earlier. India's is based on 2 games. So 1 defeat by 20 runs won't drastically increase Aus NRR or won't decrease India's NRR

The opening stand and the aggressive running frustrated them and made them panic. Give due credit to Afghan openers!!

that motivation goes missing against a particular team.. God knows why
Afg don't have motivation against India is wrong info. They have played really hard against India when they really wanted to win. India is a strong team so beating them is not easy. They are docile in attitude against India as India is kinda their only friend in cricketing world at the moment. India is where their home ground is so it's understandable they are on their best behaviour playing against india

This WC has been fantastic with all games being meaningful.
The format makes it interesting, you lose one game and you are staring at possible elimination. So every game is very important and against lower ranked it's most important for top teams to beat them big for nnr.

Aussie win over India by 30 runs could jeopardize Indian qualification too. Afg margin only needs to be 40 runs in that case to go past India rr
45 runs to be exact! At 45 run margin, India and Australia will have exactly same NRR and Australia will be above India because of H2H result. but Afghanistan would need to beat Bangladesh by 66 runs in that case!
Then Australia and Afghanistan will qualify.

If Aus win by 20 runs then India's NRR will not go tmdown drastically either. NRR is difference of runs scored/overs and runs conceded/runs. Indias Runs scored is very high 196+182. So that factor will always help Indja. Also defeating both BD and Afg by 40 runs or more helped. Aus NRR of 2.xx was based on one game earlier. India's is based on 2 games. So 1 defeat by 20 runs won't drastically increase Aus NRR or won't decrease India's NRR

I made a rough calculation

If Australia makes 170 and India gets bowled out for 130.. The NRR will become absolutely equal. It will be down to fractions. Both 0.95.

Have to give it to ICC, Super 6 makes group games meaningful but super8 makes every game in the stage meaningful

Out of no where Bangladesh have to beat afg by 80 runs margin and enters in to semifinal .That will be more comedy

Back