West Indies [318 & 200/6] beat England [204 & 313] by 4 wickets in the first Test at Southampton

Outstanding ! Congratulations West Indies. Away Test wins for West Indies since 2000 have been like goldust.

Exc. Zimbabwe and Bangladesh - WI have only beaten England (Edgbaston 2000 and Headingley 2017), South Africa (Port Elizabeth 2007) and Pakistan (Sharjah 2016).

They've added another to the list.

They won one more gain at Afghans also in India, but I understand the logic. This might be the start of a resurgence- their pace attack will trouble every SENA batting including Australia in Australia; but needs better batting capacity to compete with Aussies down under. I think, WIN-SAF series in SAF will be really close now days, while in WIN, hosts win.

It's amazing how England continues to lose test matches to this team. This must the 6th test loss in the last 11 years or so. To put it in context, india have not lost a single test match to WI in 18 years and Australia have not lost one in 17.

Australia and India have been better Test teams bar that period under Strauss/Flower, but WI are always pumped against England as it's a historic rivalry.

Really impressed with this Stokes interview. My favourite cricketer currently

Well done West Indies and congratulations.

They outplayed England and deserved to win.

Changes required in England‘s lineup — at least two, and potentially as many as three or four — and also a big improvement in performance needed if they are to get back into this series.

lol and theyve gotten all out to WI under 100 several times too in last 10-15 years

And that includes 2 series losses in the Caribbean. I don't think any other top team has lost a single series in the caribbean in years

Well done West Indies and congratulations.

They outplayed England and deserved to win.

Changes required in England‘s lineup — at least two, and potentially as many as three or four — and also a big improvement in performance needed if they are to get back into this series.

dom bess surely has to go. and leach is really bad too
moeen ali needs to come back tbh

i thought england would win this game and shannon gabriel would blow us away at old trafford

West Indies seem to play very well against us, partly because of history and emotion but also because of our weakness against extreme pace and bounce (which we get a free ride on a lot of the time — people are always saying we can’t play mystery spin which is completely true, but the very best pace bowlers have often made mincemeat of our players as well.)

Played WI. In the morning I thought it was 70/30 England but Blackwood was very calm and should be further up the order.

England picked the wrong attack, but would still have won had they held their catches.

Bess was disappointing.

Root and Broad to come back, preferably Foakes and Leach too.

west indies in some ways deserved to lose after posting such a rubbish reply, but england deserved to lose ultimately after that atrocious decision at the toss
weird game all in all. lets just appreciate shannon gabriel while hes here, because he doesnt have many years left in the tank

west indies in some ways deserved to lose after posting such a rubbish reply, but england deserved to lose ultimately after that atrocious decision at the toss
weird game all in all. lets just appreciate shannon gabriel while hes here, because he doesnt have many years left in the tank

Which reply?

Crowd makes a big difference. We have seen that in the premier league with the weak teams getting squashed with greater frequency.

England would probably have won with crowd support.

Crowd support matters but when England have lost a test to the WI at home back-to-back, you can't use this as an excuse for losing again.

Bess was unlucky to not get a few wickets in the last innings.
Mark wood is the main culprit for eng, he bowled wayward and leaked runs.

Broad and root will make a big difference to eng.
But, Windies bowlers are superior, Gabriel is brilliant.

What was also the interesting is engs lower order failed and top order succeeded.

Bess was unlucky to not get a few wickets in the last innings.
Mark wood is the main culprit for eng, he bowled wayward and leaked runs.

Broad and root will make a big difference to eng.
But, Windies bowlers are superior, Gabriel is brilliant.

What was also the interesting is engs lower order failed and top order succeeded.

i would fancy my chances of batting against dom bess for 10 full overs and not getting out to him

Jason Holder delights in one of West Indies’ ‘best victories’ as Ben Stokes left to rue England’s batting woes

Jason Holder lauded one of West Indies’s finest victories under his captaincy after they secured a four-wicket win at the Ageas Bowl. In chasing down 200 on the final day, thanks largely to 95 from Jermaine Blackwood, they not only set-up the series by taking a 1-0 lead before series moves to Manchester for the remaining two Tests.

They were deserved winners, too. Most sessions went their way, aside from the first of day five in which they were reduced to 27 for three, with opener John Campbell also retiring hurt. But a rousing effort from Blackwood, supplemented by 37 from Roston Chase, 20 from Shane Dowrich and Holder himself pitching in with an unbeaten 14, saw West Indies home for a fourth win in six Tests against England, though only a second in 20 years on English soil.

“It is right up there as one of the best victories we have had as a group,” said Holder, himself a standout player throughout with first-innings figures of six for 42 and one for 49 in the second (nabbing Ben Stokes in both). That second effort was given special praise, coming as it did on day four when England threatened a sizeable lead at 249 for three, only to be bowled out for 314 to be what proved a negotiable 199 ahead.

“To me, yesterday was probably the best day I have had in Test cricket. It was a hard, long toil and the bowlers really put in – every time I asked a bowler to come up and give a spell they came up trumps and gave a massive effort. Credit must be given to everyone yesterday, I think yesterday was a hard-fought day of Test cricket, and we really reaped the rewards at the very end.”

For Stokes, as temporary captain, his words were much the same as previous captains. Of familiar batting woes that started up front with a lacklustre 204 posted after choosing to bat first.

“I think we’ll look back, particularly as a batting unit, and understand that when we get into positions like we did in the first and second innings of our batting, that we need to be really ruthless,” said Stokes, who will hand back leadership duties to Joe Root when he rejoins the squad up in Manchester following the birth of his second child, Isabella.

He reserved special praise for Zak Crawley, whose 76 from number four in England’s second innings was the top score for a home batsman. It means that he will likely retain his place and move up to three upon Root’s return to four, with Joe Denly making way. That, though, will be very much on what Root and head coach Chris Silverwood decide.

A positive for England was Jofra Archer’s return to somewhere near his best. A blockbuster 2019 was followed by a tough winter. But his three for 45 was up there with skill and pace, and carried almost all the threat during West Indies’ chase. Stokes lauded his “X-Factor player” while also urging more patience.

“To have someone like that in your bowling attack where you can go in and out of different scenarios of how you want him to bowl, he’s skilful with the new ball and we’ve see what he can do with the old one, which is crank it up.

“I’ve got a good relationship with Jofra, I think he trusts me a lot and that goes beyond the field. I just asked him to leave nothing out there for me and run through a brick wall. And he did it. It’s great to see him bowl like he did today but let’s not look too far ahead like you lot did after the World Cup, start shooting him down again, it’s great to see Jofra run in and do what he did today.”

He also had praise for the quick he left out, Stuart Broad, who voiced his dismay at his omission during day three of the Test. The 34-year old said he was “angry, frustrated and gutted”, which Stokes informed him of the night before day one.

While it could be that Broad, with 138 caps and 485 Test wickets returns for the second Test, which begins on Thursday, Stokes has no regrets.

“It’s been a massive talking point but I stand by my decision because if I didn’t, what message would that send to the guys I did pick? It was a very tough call to leave someone like Stuart out – his record is obviously phenomenal – but we made call before a ball was bowled that I thought pace would be more beneficial. We lost but I’m not going to look back with any regrets, it shows that we’re in a great position to pick so many bowlers and leave someone like Stuart out.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...st-test-jason-holder-ben-stokes-a9615151.html

barbados is pretty astonishing in a cricket sense. just churning out talent. imagine jason holder and jofra archer on the same team
chemar holder will be playing for west indies soon and we could see 9 bajans in the same team
its the jewel of the Caribbean. dunno what their secret is but they must love cricket

Jason Holder post-match media interaction for first Test

Sunday, 12 July 2020 — West Indies captain Jason Holder spoke to members of media after his team’s amazing victory by four wickets over England in the first Test at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton. Jermaine Blackwood marked his return to team with a brilliant 95 off 154 balls with 12 boundaries in the run chase. Fast bowler Shannon Gabriel made a successful comeback from injury with nine wickets for 137 runs off 36.5 overs in the contest. He took 5-75 in the second innings – the sixth five-wicket haul of his career to earn the Man-of-the-Match award.

This gave West Indies the perfect start to the #RaiseTheBat Series on the Sandals Tour of England 2020. They now move to Manchester for the second and third matches at the Emirates Old Trafford.

“I’m really happy. The boys have worked hard and it’s good to see it pay off. This is one of the best performances, one of the best victories, we've had as a group in Test cricket. We worked really hard. To me, yesterday was probably one of my best days in Test cricket. It was a hard, long toil and the bowlers really put it in. Every time I asked a bowler to come up and give a spell, they came up trumps and gave a massive effort. Credit must be given to everyone ... it was a hard-fought day of Test cricket and we really reaped the rewards at the end,” Holder said after the match.

“I’m happy that Gabriel came back well and Blackwood too. They put their hands up and led the charge. It was a nerve-wracking start after losing quick three wickets and Campbell to injury … but Roston (Chase) and Jermaine put on a good partnership and settled the nerves. From there we could build on.”

i would fancy my chances of batting against dom bess for 10 full overs and not getting out to him

no you wouldn't. Everyone can act tough here on the internet but even the most mediocre crickrt player would wreck anyone who has never played first class cricket.

England lost a gripping first Test to West Indies, who were helped to a memorable four-wicket victory by Jermaine Blackwood's magnificent 95.

Chasing 200 on the final day in Southampton, the tourists were reduced to 27-3 and lost opener John Campbell retired hurt, mainly to a fired-up Jofra Archer.

But the nerveless Blackwood calmly combined with Roston Chase for a stand of 63, then added 68 with Shane Dowrich.

England had chances to dismiss Blackwood. Ben Stokes failed to get a hand on a tough opportunity at slip off Dom Bess, gully Rory Burns and wicketkeeper Jos Buttler both dropped catches off Stokes, and Zak Crawley could not gather the ball in the covers when Blackwood and Chase got in a mix-up running a single.

Stand-in captain Stokes threatened to inspire England yet again first by removing Dowrich, then Blackwood when only 11 were needed.

But a limping Campbell returned to join captain Jason Holder and scamper the winning run.

It means West Indies take a 1-0 lead in the three-match series, while Stokes is condemned to defeat in his first match as skipper.

Joe Root will return to lead England when the second behind-closed-doors Test begins at Old Trafford on Thursday.

If the tourists avoid defeat there, they will retain the Wisden Trophy they earned with a series victory in the Caribbean 18 months ago.

This fluctuating contest was a wonderful start to an international summer that for so long was threatened by the coronavirus pandemic.

The only thing missing was a crowd. How might England have benefitted from home support as they pushed for victory in the still sunshine of a glorious Sunday afternoon.

That is to take nothing away from the performance of West Indies, who once again impressed with their attitude, application and determination.

In the first part of this match, the tourists were quicker than England to adapt to the conditions, atmosphere and lack of preparation.

For England, debate will surround the decision to omit Stuart Broad in favour of the extra pace of Archer and Mark Wood, but it was Archer's performance that kept them in the hunt on the final day.

In reality, they paid the price for being bowled out for only 204 in their first innings.

Blackwood, one of the architects of West Indies' famous win at Headingley in 2017, regularly raises his game against England.

Usually a dasher, he was forced to rein in his attacking instincts when he joined Chase with his side on the verge of capitulating.

Gradually they rebuilt, Chase tipping singles and Blackwood occasionally loosening the shackles to slash through the off side.

All of the chances came in the period after lunch, while West Indies also endured another lightning Archer spell in which Chase fell to a brutal bouncer.

Blackwood grew in stature, crashing some rasping drives, and was supported by the doughty Dowrich, who did not wilt in the face of a pace barrage.

Dowrich's edge behind when 36 were still required raised England's hopes, but they barely celebrated when Blackwood hammered to James Anderson at mid-off.

For all the talk of the make-up of their attack, England would probably have won this match had they scored more runs in the first innings, not lost 5-30 on the fourth evening and taken their chances on the final day.

Lacklustre earlier in the match, Archer was superb, firstly by lifting England from their overnight 284-8 to 313, then with some electric fast bowling.

Campbell had already hobbled off after blow on the toe by the time Kraigg Brathwaite and Shamarh Brooks were bowled by nip-backers. Wood did the same to Shai Hope.

However, Anderson failed to make an impact, while Bess did not provide the threat England will have wanted from their off-spinner on a final-day pitch.

Archer's afternoon burst was also ferocious. As well as the wicket of Chase, Dowrich needed a review to survive being given out caught off his elbow from yet another vicious short ball.

Stokes, possibly hampered by a toe injury, barely bowled himself before his belated introduction resulted in the double strike.

And it was fitting that Holder, the personification of West Indies' recent revival, was at the crease when victory was sealed, taking the spoils over opposite number and fellow all-rounder Stokes.

'The best team won, without any question'
England captain Ben Stokes: "We got ourselves into great positions at times with the bat to kick on and get 350 or 400, and we weren't ruthless enough.

"It was a very hard-fought Test match. It's always great when games can go to day five. The level of cricket played was fantastic."

West Indies captain Jason Holder: "I'm really happy. The boys have worked hard and it's good to see it pay off.

"It's been a good start back to international cricket. It sets the series up quite nicely."

Former England captain Michael Vaughan on BBC Test Match Special: "It was a great Test and a great week in the circumstances. The best team won, without any question."

Former England captain Alastair Cook: "All the talk about the toss and Broad will be the main headline, but the batters have to take a bit of that blame. Ultimately they didn't bat well in the first innings. It wasn't enough on that wicket.

"Blackwood played brilliantly. He didn't take any of the bait England offered. He definitely won the game for West Indies. That innings was the difference."

West Indies limited-overs all-rounder Carlos Brathwaite: "It was a polished, professional Test unit rather than a bunch of guys put together to play Test cricket for West Indies.

"Blackwood batted eloquently, classy, calmly, carefree - adjectives you don't normally use with him."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53380816

In summary : Hype of Archer/Wood vs the never-say-die attitude of Gabriel/Blackwood.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">First game after the break belongs to us!<br><br>Some gritty performance from the lads. This team deserves the win in this game. Congratulations boys <br><br> You make us proud... &#55357;&#56394;&#55356;&#57343; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ENGvWI?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ENGvWI</a> <a href="https://t.co/wYAVRGOwh6">pic.twitter.com/wYAVRGOwh6</a></p>— Sir Vivian Richards (@ivivianrichards) <a href="https://twitter.com/ivivianrichards/status/1282358881570615296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 12, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Great Test match victory!<br>Well done to <a href="https://twitter.com/Jaseholder98?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Jaseholder98</a> and the boys.<br>To the coaching and management staff great job getting the guys ready. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ENGvWI?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ENGvWI</a></p>— Brian Lara (@BrianLara) <a href="https://twitter.com/BrianLara/status/1282373848348811264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 12, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Good all-round performances by players from both teams. <br>Jermaine Blackwood played a crucial knock in a tense situation to see <a href="https://twitter.com/windiescricket?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@windiescricket</a> through. An important win which has set up the series perfectly. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ENGvWI?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ENGvWI</a> <a href="https://t.co/PLbJlqIe8c">pic.twitter.com/PLbJlqIe8c</a></p>— Sachin Tendulkar (@sachin_rt) <a href="https://twitter.com/sachin_rt/status/1282357983389728768?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 12, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

England drop Joe Denly as Joe Root returns for second West Indies Test

England have dropped Joe Denly for the second #raisethebat Test against West Indies with captain Joe Root returning.

Root, who missed England's four-wicket loss at The Ageas Bowl last week to attend the birth of his second child, will slot back at Emirates Old Trafford, with Zak Crawley - who stepped in for Root - retained and Denly axed.

Kent duo Denly and Crawley were seen to be vying for one spot in the second Test when they batted at No 3 and No 4 respectively in the first.

Crawley, 22, has been given the nod after scoring a classy 76 in England's second innings in Southampton and Denly, 34, only managing scores of 18 and 29 as his Test batting average dipped below 30.

Denly has made six fifties in 15 Tests - top scoring with 94 against Australia at The Oval last summer - but has often been guilty of throwing away good starts, having reached double figures in all but four of his 28 innings.

Crawley has scored two half-centuries in five Test innings at an average of 31.25, with his knock at The Ageas Bowl last week eclipsing the 66 he managed against South Africa in Johannesburg in January.

Root told reporters on Wednesday: "It's never an easy decision, never easy having to leave someone out.

"With Joe, he's done a brilliant job for us over a period of time - he's helped show our identity as a side and how we played moving forward.

"He'll be as frustrated as anyone that he's not been able to convert those opportunities. You watch Zak's progression since he's been involved in the team and his game has continued to get stronger."

Root's return means Ben Stokes reverts to vice-captain - Stokes became England's 81st men's Test captain when he led the side in Southampton and the first all-rounder to take on the role since Andrew Flintoff.

England will make a decision on the rest of their line-up later on, with Stuart Broad hoping to return after being left out of the series opener.

Chris Woakes is also an option to come in if England opt to break up the pace attack of Jofra Archer, James Anderson and Mark Wood.

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...-joe-root-returns-for-second-west-indies-test

I wish Indian players could learn something from these West Indian players. :inti

they beat a weakened English team without BROAD, WOAKES, CURRAN AND ROOT

that's 4 of their best players in English conditions. yea it's not impressive at all. Just like how india beat a weakened australia and how australia beat a weakened indian team in 04.

Most great teams have failed to beat other top sides away from home unless the said team has declined due to an ageing squad, lost players due to injuries or other reasons.

they beat a weakened English team without BROAD, WOAKES, CURRAN AND ROOT

that's 4 of their best players in English conditions. yea it's not impressive at all. Just like how india beat a weakened australia and how australia beat a weakened indian team in 04.

Most great teams have failed to beat other top sides away from home unless the said team has declined due to an ageing squad, lost players due to injuries or other reasons.

If three of those 4 players aren’t good enough to be picked by the captain then you don’t have the right to call it a weakened squad.

If three of those 4 players aren’t good enough to be picked by the captain then you don’t have the right to call it a weakened squad.

broad? are you serious?
woakes in English conditions? check his record
curran ? check his record again but this one is debatable I understand.
root? lol.....ok man. One of the greatest of modern era and he won't be picked lol.

broad? are you serious?
woakes in English conditions? check his record
curran ? check his record again but this one is debatable I understand.
root? lol.....ok man. One of the greatest of modern era and he won't be picked lol.

I don’t think you understand the post. In my opinion, all four of those players should have played ofcourse.

Root couldn’t play because of his child - so he was unavailable.

The other 3 players - they were completely AVAILABLE for selection. However England’s own captain and selectors decided they were not good enough for the team. Not me. The captain. So you for these 3 players - you cannot say England weren’t full strength. They just weren’t the preferred choice.

That’s like if Misbah drops Azhar and Yasir for the first test. And Pakistan lose and I say but a full strength Pakistan side wasn’t available.

I don’t think you understand the post. In my opinion, all four of those players should have played ofcourse.

Root couldn’t play because of his child - so he was unavailable.

The other 3 players - they were completely AVAILABLE for selection. However England’s own captain and selectors decided they were not good enough for the team. Not me. The captain. So you for these 3 players - you cannot say England weren’t full strength. They just weren’t the preferred choice.

That’s like if Misbah drops Azhar and Yasir for the first test. And Pakistan lose and I say but a full strength Pakistan side wasn’t available.

Look at their record in England. You are telling me broad and woakes don't deserve to start vs w.indies?

Look at their record in England. You are telling me broad and woakes don't deserve to start vs w.indies?

Once again - are you deliberately misunderstanding me or just unable to do so?

I’m not the captain. Stokes was. And he didn’t think Broad and Woakes were good enough to be in the 11. So it wasn’t as if they weren’t available. Why are you asking me?

Once again - are you deliberately misunderstanding me or just unable to do so?

I’m not the captain. Stokes was. And he didn’t think Broad and Woakes were good enough to be in the 11. So it wasn’t as if they weren’t available. Why are you asking me?

well stokes is dumb then.

Back