West Indies tour of South Africa (2023)

South Africa vs West Indies, 2nd T20I

South Africa have won the toss and have opted to field

West Indies (Playing XI): Kyle Mayers, Brandon King, Johnson Charles, Nicholas Pooran(w), Rovman Powell(c), Jason Holder, Raymon Reifer, Romario Shepherd, Akeal Hosein, Odean Smith, Sheldon Cottrell

South Africa (Playing XI): Quinton de Kock(w), Reeza Hendricks, Rilee Rossouw, Aiden Markram(c), David Miller, Heinrich Klaasen, Marco Jansen, Wayne Parnell, Sisanda Magala, Kagiso Rabada, Tabraiz Shamsi

West Indies clobbering South Africa!

WI 139/3 (10.4) CRR: 13.03

Johnson Charles 82*(32) so far

Last edited:
Crazy inning by J Charles - Last Wkt: Johnson Charles b Marco Jansen 118(46) - 179/4 in 13.6 ov.

WI 190/4 (15) CRR: 12.67 - headed for 230+

258 for 5 West Indies.

Ridiculous display of hitting.

258/5 by West Indies today:

7th highest score in T20I history
The highest T20I score by West Indies
The highest score ever against South Africa
2nd highest T20I score ever in South Africa

39 ball hundred by Johnson Charles:

6th fastest in T20I history

Fastest is by David Miller against Bangladesh off just 235 balls in 2017.

Quinton de Kock 50 off 15 balls:

Fastest ever in T20Is for South Africa
Joint 5th fastest in T20I history

Nearly 100 in first 5 overs my goodness ..have they not heard of tuk tuk

S Africa 149/0 after 10 overs

Ridiculous batting.

What are these teams doing ? Where are their anchors ?

Don't know what to make of this match.

Incredible or a farce?

South Africa (259/4)
West Indies (258/5)

Highest run chase in T20s
Highest score batting second in T20s
517 runs is the highest T20 match aggregate

South Africa scripted a record run-chase in T20Is to level the series against West Indies in Centurion on Sunday.

After conceding 258 with the ball, South Africa produced a stirring run-chase, led by a maiden T20I ton from Quinton de Kock, to record the highest-ever run-chase in T20Is.

Racking up 102 in the first six overs in the run-chase, the highest score by any team in the Powerplay in T20Is, de Kock and Reeza Hendricks kickstarted South Africa's innings in style.

The opening stand of 152 came off just 10.5 overs as South Africa suddenly turned into favourites to win the game.

While the visitors made a comeback of sorts by dismissing Rossouw, Hendricks and Miller in fairly quick succession, skipper Aiden Markram continued the carnage to lead his side to a memorable win.

The previous record for the highest successful run-chase in T20Is was held by Bulgaria against Serbia in 2022, when the former chased down 243 in 19.4 overs.

With this, South Africa now hold the record for the highest successful run-chase in both ODIs and T20Is.

Earlier, West Indies, powered by a record 39-ball ton from Johnson Charles, had made their highest score in T20Is. But it just wasn't enough for a win unfortunately.

ICC

rvtL9wY.png

I think this was the greatest T20I game of all time. It had a bit of everything.

South Africa vs West Indies, 3rd T20I

South Africa have won the toss and have opted to field

Teams:

West Indies (Playing XI): Brandon King, Kyle Mayers, Johnson Charles, Nicholas Pooran(w), Rovman Powell(c), Roston Chase, Romario Shepherd, Jason Holder, Raymon Reifer, Sheldon Cottrell, Alzarri Joseph

South Africa (Playing XI): Quinton de Kock(w), Reeza Hendricks, Rilee Rossouw, David Miller, Aiden Markram(c), Heinrich Klaasen, Wayne Parnell, Bjorn Fortuin, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje, Lungi Ngidi

Don't think we can expect a high-scoring game this time.

Nothing more sweeter than a West Indian batsman striking the ball hard

Tailenders anchoring the innings after top order had their free hits

Wow those 3 boundaries from Rilee Rossouw off Alzarri Joseph were glorious.

South Africa need 166 runs in 87 balls.

They should be able to chase this one , considering the kind of hitters they have still to come.

61 . 1

That is a very solid power play for SA , the right kind of launch to get this target.

The dew has made chasing easier in this series so far so I'd be surprised if South Africa lose it from here.

Rossouw is a dangerous player when chasing , he can play exceptional shots , and keep the required rate under control.

WI 220/8 (20)
RSA 213/6 (20) CRR: 10.65
West Indies won by 7 runs

==

Close game - could have gone either way but WI fought well.

Just don't understand why with the talent at their hands they don't win more ICC tournaments

WI competed a lot better on this tour than I expected. They bowled SAF out for some cheap totals in the Tests, drew the ODIs and win the T20 series.

West Indies beat South Africa by seven runs in the decider to take the series 2-1. West Indies scored 220/8 in 20 overs against South Africa. Crucial knocks Brandon King (36, 25b), Nicholas Pooran (41. 19b) and Romario Shepherd (44, 22b) took West Indies past the 200-mark. For South Africa, Anrich Nortje, Kagiso Rabada and Lungi Ngidi took two wickets each at the Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg on Tuesday. In reply, South Africa managed 213/6 in 20 overs.

Very happy that WI took the t20 series. This is the final format where they are still an international level threat to full members. It was sad to see a WC without them… hopefully they are there for the next edition.

I think all t20 teams bar England are in a transitional phase. Will be interesting to see if one of them dethrones England next time around.

Back