What is your favourite type of delivery from a bowler?

Kaka4pope

Tape Ball Star
Runs
Lots of bowlers have deliveries they master really well, it could even be their stock ball, who has a particular favorite?

For what its worth, mine are (I know my choices might be slightly controversial)...

Classic Asif - with the one that nips back from a good length just outside off, especially when the batsman didn't even acknowledge the stumps after one squeezed through bat/pad...

Ajmal mark one - his doosra, although proved foul, during its heyday (2010 in England and 2012 in the UAE) it was just a sensational delivery. Batsman completely flummoxed, particularly around the wicket to lefties...

You guys?

My favourite delivery is when Asif single handedly demolished a famous Indian batting lineup in front of a packed crowd in Karachi. I bet VVS still has nightmares about that delivery.

That class Michael Holding "BOWLED EM"

My favourite delivery is when Asif single handedly demolished a famous Indian batting lineup in front of a packed crowd in Karachi. I bet VVS still has nightmares about that delivery.

Still made 240.

That's not actually getting destroyed in the real sense.:msd

Jk

Like seeing fast inswinging yorkers ala Waqar/Starc. But overall the outswinger for the fast bowler and the classical stock delivery for an offie against a left hander and a leggie against the right hander. There is some innate joy for me in seeing the outside edge of the batsmen getting beat through swing or guile.

1:05 :bow: Murali at 80 MPH.

Shoaib Akhter steaming to deliver the most lethal bouncers at deadly pace.

The one to Lara was one of his best.

Though a very odd choice but I seem to like Amit Mishra bowling his flight delivery outside off unbalancing the batsmen with the stride forward.

Bhai jaan watch second innings.. Sehwag, Laxman, Tendulkar ALL BOWLED.

I know lol..I added jk in the end.

How was that pitch..Was it a greentop or something like that or was the ball swinging under the clouds?

Remember Pathan skittling Pakistan for a similar score in the first innings too..

Any that isn't bowled at 130kph leg side and smashed for 6.

Thats how low my standards are.

How was that pitch..Was it a greentop or something like that or was the ball swinging under the clouds?

Remember Pathan skittling Pakistan for a similar score in the first innings too..

Pathan had a first over hattrick and then Pakistan battled there way to 250 odd, then Asif dismissed India for 240 and then Pakistan amassed 600 in their second innings. India couldn't last long because of scoreboard pressure.

A beauty of a match. One of the classic test matches.

Starc's indippers these days

I unfortunately never saw Waqar at peak (pre 96) so I can imagine what his toe crushers were like watching live

Ajmal's doosra was a thing of beauty. Truly the greatest and most exciting spinner to play cricket after Murali, Warne and Saqlain retired.

Mitch Johnson during that summer of 2013 was an unbelievably ferocious beast. Those bouncers had license to kill. Him and Harris vs Amla and AB made for outstanding cricket.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x16800k" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The third one. Reverse swing yorkers that dip.

Last edited by a moderator:
<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x16800k" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The third one. Reverse swing yorkers that dip.

the 3rd one is an absolute beauty..

Wahab Riaz's delivery to Yuvraj Singh in the 2011 WC.

Reverse swinging Yorker.

I remember this match. The ball was moving a lot for both Indian and Pak bowlers.

The thing with Asif was that it was very hard to guess which way the ball would swing. Its like guessing Lotto numbers. With Pathan, you know which way the ball would swing. For Left handers, it was outswingers and for righties, it was inswingers.

Asif in-seamer. Waqar/Starc yorkers. Shoaib bouncer. Mustafizur doosra.

Also, got to see this beauty live at the stadium. There was a split second of silence and then crowd went wild.

69.jpg

Had I known back then that cricket would only be in Pakistan for few more years, would've tried to make it to every game.

When I was young nothing gave me more satisfaction than to see Wasim Akram come round the wicket and bowl those two deliveries to Alan Lamb and Chris Lewis..

Since then I used to wait for Wasim Akram's overs at the death when he would bowl in the end overs but his action would change a little, he would give more air to his left arm or he would bowl with the shine on the ball hidden and bowl wider of the crease to get those inswinging yorkers in.. I was too young to know what all that was about but I liked to copy it exactly how he did it..

Was my fantasy to bowl left arm fast like him, my highest praise in a gully tape ball match (when I was an adolescent) would be when playing cricket being compared to Wasim bhai, however I never had that much pace, so I pretended I was the old Wasim Akram who swings the new ball well...

From age 7-14 it was all about left arm fast medium over the wicket :D

Also liked Shoaib Akhtar alot, used to wait for his inswinging yorker when he would go extra side on, but he used to hold the ball in the left hand and then transfer it to his right in the last moment, before the jump... which made the action even cooler and the yorker even a better sight..

Case in point his deliveries to Sachin, Dravid, and that to Steve Waugh in the 1999 world cup

Last edited:
anything that edges the bat and goes to the keeper or the slip cordon

Steyn pitching the ball on leg stump and ball ending on 5th stump on off side. Often batsmen just do fishing.

Waqar in-swinging yorker hitting toes. It was fun to watch.

Warne turning it big from outside of leg stump.Very few batsmen were able to play it well.

Also love watching fast left arm swinging the ball and beating the bat, then shattering the stumps or edging.

Asif to Laxman in the 2nd inns of the Karachi test is one of my all time favourites.

Rameez: Oh bowled im ... with an absolutely brilliant delivery..

The one is the 1st inns to Laxman was just as good but didn't have the coup de grace of the middle stump cartwheeling back.

A searing in-swinging yorker at 150kph.

Afridi's faster one to uproot a stump.

Yorker

Outswinger that squares the batsmen up( pitching middle and off swinging to 4th-5th stump line)

Perfect legspinner, flight, drift and spin.

I think, the question by OP is misunderstood here - it's not about a particular spell or dismissal, rather it's about the special ball bowled by great bowlers. If I go by history, every great bowlers had a "stock ball", which they could bowl perfectly almost at will for 4/5 balls in an over - it's not that either.

It's about the special ball by greats, which 'll need every bit of luck for even the greats to survive - IF THE BALL IS PERFECT. Here are few that I have seen -

Leg-cutter by DK
Late out-swing by Styen & Hadlee
Perfect banana out-swing by Kapil & Botham
Off-cutter by Marshall (& Holding)
In-swinging yorker by Sohaib
Reverse swinging yorker by Waquar
Duel swing by Akram (his best out swingers used to come in & then leave the right handers - it was impossible to survive, Lamb even got bowled)
Stiff lifter from good length from Ambi & Mac
In-swinging leg-cutter by Khan
Silent bouncer by Roberts & Donald
Wobbling in-swing by Asif
Out-swinging off-cutter by Alderman (He had 83 wickets in 12 Test in ENG in 12 Tests & almost half of them LBW without offering - somehow he could swing the new ball away & then it will cut back off the seam - bang on off-stick with a surprised batsman, bat on his shoulders)
Toe crasher by Garner

Doosra by Saqline
Drifting Slider by Warne
Floating & drifting off-break by Muraly
Googly by Qadir
Armer by Underwood
Faster top spin by Kumble

Of those, the 6 I'll pick (not in order) are
Lillee, Wasim, Imran, Marshall, Warne & WY.

With every respect for Asif, Styen, Hadlee, Alderman, Qadir & Sohaib

To my surprise, Mac was a fantastic bowler to deliver "perfect" balls repetitively, but he never had an unplayable surprise ball - he'll torture batsman inch by inch until one gets him out; the best ever metronome.

I think, the question by OP is misunderstood here - it's not about a particular spell or dismissal, rather it's about the special ball bowled by great bowlers. If I go by history, every great bowlers had a "stock ball", which they could bowl perfectly almost at will for 4/5 balls in an over - it's not that either.

It's about the special ball by greats, which 'll need every bit of luck for even the greats to survive - IF THE BALL IS PERFECT. Here are few that I have seen -

Leg-cutter by DK
Late out-swing by Styen & Hadlee
Perfect banana out-swing by Kapil & Botham
Off-cutter by Marshall (& Holding)
In-swinging yorker by Sohaib
Reverse swinging yorker by Waquar
Duel swing by Akram (his best out swingers used to come in & then leave the right handers - it was impossible to survive, Lamb even got bowled)
Stiff lifter from good length from Ambi & Mac
In-swinging leg-cutter by Khan
Silent bouncer by Roberts & Donald
Wobbling in-swing by Asif
Out-swinging off-cutter by Alderman (He had 83 wickets in 12 Test in ENG in 12 Tests & almost half of them LBW without offering - somehow he could swing the new ball away & then it will cut back off the seam - bang on off-stick with a surprised batsman, bat on his shoulders)
Toe crasher by Garner

Doosra by Saqline
Drifting Slider by Warne
Floating & drifting off-break by Muraly
Googly by Qadir
Armer by Underwood
Faster top spin by Kumble

Of those, the 6 I'll pick (not in order) are
Lillee, Wasim, Imran, Marshall, Warne & WY.

With every respect for Asif, Styen, Hadlee, Alderman, Qadir & Sohaib

To my surprise, Mac was a fantastic bowler to deliver "perfect" balls repetitively, but he never had an unplayable surprise ball - he'll torture batsman inch by inch until one gets him out; the best ever metronome.

Add to that Ashwins carrom ball that bowled :amla at the T20WC 2014

Afridi's drift ball was also a very clever and reliable delivery in LOIs, so many bats were hurried into trying to cut a ball that wasn't there on many occasions...

MJ's short stuff in the latter years of his career, menacing stuff!

Ajmal's doosra was a thing of beauty. Truly the greatest and most exciting spinner to play cricket after Murali, Warne and Saqlain retired.

Amazing delivery, his celebrations were great too, the one where he dodged some of the fielders trying to huf him and ended up at cover/point - great guy to have. Glad Shah has that similar bouncy persona...

Amazing delivery, his celebrations were great too, the one where he dodged some of the fielders trying to huf him and ended up at cover/point - great guy to have. Glad Shah has that similar bouncy persona...

Man I miss Ajju. He was my favourite Pakistani player in the 2010-2015 era. A ferocious competitor and a lovable character.

Imagine a Pakistani test side with Ajmal and Yasir as the two spinners. Wow wow wow :raja

I remember a series where the Aussies visited UAE and Ajmal was completely unplayable, everytime Misbah needed a wicket he would bring Ajmal on and he would get one every single time.

Leg-cutter by DK

Danish Kaneria? :danish

Add to that Ashwins carrom ball that bowled :amla at the T20WC 2014

Deliberately I avoided Doosra of Ajmal, Carom ball of Ash, leg-spin like turner from Murali ............

Back