Which Pakistan defeat upset you the most?

Most Heartbreaking Pakistan Defeat?

• Total voters

cric-chat72

Debutant
Runs
If you had to pick JUST ONE defeat which most upset you - which one would it be? The defeat which took several days to recover from? The defeat which made you avoid the newspapers for a few days.? The defeat which stopped you listening/watching the sports news for a few days to help you get it out of your mind?

There are several candidates. My top 5 would be :

1. The Lords Test 2010. The spot-fixing row was mainly to blame. A game I want to totally forget. After 2006, we needed a controversy free tour. We had just won at the Oval. On the Friday of the Lords Test, I came back from Jumma and Aamir was destroying the England team. 7 down for 120. When I came back from work, Broad and Trott had taken the game away. Worse was to follow the next day when the spot-fixing scandal came to light. The match I most want to forget.

2. 1996 World Cup Quarter Final : Pakistan 120-0 after 15 overs chasing 280 odd. In control. India panicking. Then Aamer Sohail lost his head. The rest is history.

3. 1987 World Cup Semi Final : Pakistan V Aus. An ordinary Aus team. Pakistan were looking unstoppable. They needed 250 odd to win. Rameez was run out in the first over. Terrible start. Imran and Javed started a rescue act. This was ended by a terrible umpiring decision by David Shephard when he gave Imran out caught behind - he was nowhere near the ball. Pakistan faded quickly. A horrible match to remember.

4. The Sydney Test of 2010. Kamran Akmals test. 4 dropped catches. A horrible defeat. It was harder to lose the match then win it - but Pakistan stepped up to the plate in style and managed to throw the match away.

5. 2010 World 20 Semi-Final v Aus : This is on the list because once again we clawed a defeat from the jaws of victory. 20 odd to win in the final over. The game was Pakistan's. Then enter Mike Hussey ably assisted by Saeed Ajmal. Horrible way to lose. I would rather have lost comfortably then like this.

However : there is one match which wins hands down for me. And it's none of the above. No- the game that MOST disappointed me was in June 1999 :

The World Cup Final : Pakistan v Australia.

As far as I am concerned, that was Pakistan's greatest ever one day side. We had batsmen of the likes of Anwar and Inzi in their prime. An up and coming Youhana. A top keeper batsman in Moin. And look at our bowling attack!!! Wasim, Shoaib (what a sight he was in that world cup), Saqlain! And Waqar could not make the first eleven (a mistake I feel). We stormed through our group and demolished the Kiwis in the semi-final. On the day of the final, me and my friends were planning to join a victory parade in Southall! And then the game started! What an anti-climax????!!! Pakistan did not just under-perform - they capitulated as never before! Their worst performance of the tournament. It was soooo disappointing. I switched the telly off long before the end. A sad cricketing memory. :-(

Last edited:
Yes - Hobart 1999 was bad. That Pakistan side under-achieved. So much talent. That match was ours. Aussies 5 down. Then Gilchrist took it away.

Another one is the Karachi test of 2001 when we lost the series to England.

And can anyone remember the 1989 West Indies tour? Pakistan drew the series 1-1 with West Indies winning the last test. One of the finest series in modern times. From what i read, Pakistan were robbed! West Indies needed 60 runs with 2 wickets left. Then the umpires refused several clear appeals and the Windies ran out winners.

It has to be Aus Pak Semi Final T20, You cannot get any closer to victory and just lose it. The reason why I chose this over others is because in Test losses you gradually build up towards the loss and in ODI's during collapsing stages you again build up towards the loss. The T20 one was all of sudden, like a shock , thats why it upset me the most.

Pain wise

1- WC QF vs IND. :wasim
2- Sydney Test :moyo
3: T20 vs Aus :ajmal

now it seems i gor anti-bodies against defeat.

Pain Wise

96 QF Pak vs Ind

99 Hobart Test

99/00 Test Match vs WI

Facepalm wise

1999 WC Final

2007 Defeat to Ireland

2010 Sydney Test

Correction made - credits to chui_kadoo

Last edited:
lords '99, we competed hard in every game in that tourny, even when we lost. just seemed so annoying to go out without even a fight, remember not even bothering to watch the aus chase.

Difficult but Think my top three would be:

3)1996 world cup quarters defeat to india

2)1999 world cup final loss

1)2007 loss to ireland and out of world cup. I was shattered that day

If you had to pick JUST ONE defeat which most upset you - which one would it be? The defeat which took several days to recover from? The defeat which made you avoid the newspapers for a few days.? The defeat which stopped you listening/watching the sports news for a few days to help you get it out of your mind?

1. The Lords Test 2010. The spot-fixing row was mainly to blame. A game I want to totally forget. After 2006, we needed a controversy free tour. We had just won at the Oval. On the Friday of the Lords Test, I came back from Jumma and Aamir was destroying the England team. 7 down for 120. When I came back from work, Broad and Trott had taken the game away. Worse was to follow the next day when the spot-fixing scandal came to light. The match I most want to forget.

2. 1996 World Cup Quarter Final : Pakistan 120-0 after 15 overs chasing 280 odd. In control. India panicking. Then Aamer Sohail lost his head. The rest is history.

3. 1987 World Cup Semi Final : Pakistan V Aus. An ordinary Aus team. Pakistan were looking unstoppable. They needed 250 odd to win. Rameez was run out in the first over. Terrible start. Imran and Javed started a rescue act. This was ended by a terrible umpiring decision by David Shephard when he gave Imran out caught behind - he was nowhere near the ball. Pakistan faded quickly. A horrible match to remember.

4. The Sydney Test of 2010. Kamran Akmals test. 4 dropped catches. A horrible defeat. It was harder to lose the match then win it - but Pakistan stepped up to the plate in style and managed to throw the match away.

5. 2010 World 20 Semi-Final v Aus : This is on the list because once again we clawed a defeat from the jaws of victory. 20 odd to win in the final over. The game was Pakistan's. Then enter Mike Hussey ably assisted by Saeed Ajmal. Horrible way to lose. I would rather have lost comfortably then like this.

However : there is one match which wins hands down for me. And it's none of the above. No- the game that MOST disappointed me was in June 1999 :

As far as I am concerned, that was Pakistan's greatest ever one day side. We had batsmen of the likes of Anwar and Inzi in their prime. An up and coming Youhana. A top keeper batsman in Moin. And look at our bowling attack!!! Wasim, Shoaib (what a sight he was in that world cup), Saqlain! And Waqar could not make the first eleven (a mistake I feel). We stormed through our group and demolished the Kiwis in the semi-final. On the day of the final, me and my friends were planning to join a victory parade in Southall! And then the game started! What an anti-climax????!!! Pakistan did not just under-perform - they capitulated as never before! Their worst performance of the tournament. It was soooo disappointing. I switched the telly off long before the end. A sad cricketing memory. :-(

2007 t20 final was the worst for me along with the loss to australia when mike hussey lost the plot !

Absolutley got to be Pak vs Aus T20 semi-final, absoluteky shooockig.
Everyone thought we were home and dry until Hussey came and smashed ajmal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5th odi loss vs south africa in 2007 in pakistan after series was 2-2. that was the beginning of some suspicious performances from pakistan. After that there were many more which upset me.

To be honest, the 2007 defeat to Ireland - I was annoyed. But I had no expectations for us in that World Cup. We just weren't right. We would have lost in the next round anyway. That's not being negative..... I just felt we weren't good enough in that world cup. I have to be be honest - I don't think we will win this world cup either. BUT - I DO think we have an outside chance. And the other thing is - lets say, that South Africa and India are the two best teams right now. Well - we are very capable of beating either of these on a given day. The Aussies are not as strong as in previous years. The English are hopefully knackered after the Ashes. The Sri Lankans don't have Murali. So - there is hope. My head says Pakistan will not win 3 consecutive games against the big boys. But.....we have a chance.

in the 2007 WC, the defeat to ireland really hurt.

PK had already lost the match to WI, so this essentially put them out of the tournament.

that one really hurt for a few days. Especially because the team was pretty good.

THe rest of the losses were all in later rounds, so at least there was some consolation, that we lost in the semis or QFs.

The amir sohail one also really hurt.

1. Pakistan's loss to Ireland in the 2007 world cup.
2. Losing to India in the First world t20 Final (misbah scoop fail)
3. Pakistan losing to Australia in the world t20 semi final
4. Sydney Test

In no particular order, they all hurt!

1996 QF by some distance.Wasim pulled out.We were doing well until jadeja smacked waqar all over.Chasing challenging 288 we were off to a great start by saeed-sohail.84/0 after 10 we lost saeed.Sohail carried the attack whilst Ijaz crawled.
113/1 after 14.5 we lost sohail to a horrendous shot but with Ijaz Inzi malik and miandad left we needed under 5 to win it.Here Inzi and Ijaz choked and Javed(past his sell by date) froze.Looking back sohail should've finished the job himself as Wasim and his gambling tola was never going to win that game and make sohail a hero.Remember he was the whistle blower the year before.

Ireland 2007,Bob Woolmer subsequently died,I believe that the stress that defeat caused him plus Bob knowing full well of what the reaction would be back home,triggered his heart attack.Also,Inzamam was never the same afterwards and his resignation resulted in a disastrous power vacuum with the various captaincy sagas that transpired.

Hobart 99,that was just so frustrating but didn't hurt as much.

BTW OP,nice write up there.

fall of wickets says we were 113/2

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65187.html

There are many

Most recent one is Lord's test, both match fixing and being totally on top and then losing like the way we did.
Before that was the Sydney debacle of course.
Before that the T20 World cup final
And Before that Ireland

Without a doubt, the loss against Ireland was upsetting and hard to take.

The Ireland game is high on the list. The faves so far seem to be :

1. 1999 Final

2, T20 semi 2010

3. QF 1996

4. Ireland game.

5. Sydney 2010

6. Hobart 1999

What could be the worst defeat ever then loosing to IRELAND. WORST WORST WORST defeat ever. SO many of my frnds stopped supporting PAK becoz of their lost to IRELAND and still they hate PAK team. can you believe it

2nd for me is the 99 WC FINAL. it was ours but match fixing got the best of us.

1: The loss against Ireland
2: Pak vs Aus T20 WC Semi Final 2010
3: The loss in Final vs India (T20 WC 2007)

Bangalore 96 the worst ever defeat for me.

Of Games i watched live:-

Ireland 07 WC (Felt Like a Vague Dream)

Karachi 04 ODI Jeet Lo Dil (Started Crying)

2010 Sydney Test (Wasted My Sleep)

The most heart-breaking defeat for me was the 2007 World Twenty20 final against India. It was just...aaah.

sydney test (ansoo scene)

t20 final vs india

1996 QF vs india

1999 final vs Aus

2007 vs Ire

three most painful defeats and Australia was involved in all three

1987 WC semi final
2010 Sydney Test
2010 T20 Semi Final

there are so many i can't think of one. but the one that stands out because it's recent is the t20 semi final against australia, that still hurts.

For me there are a few, hard to seperate.
in no particular order :
QF to India Bangalore. Wasim didn't play
Loss to Ireland,
1999 Final
T20 semi final to Aus
T20 final loss to India
and Karachi test match to England in near darkness

Bangalore 96 the worst ever defeat for me.

I think most Pak fans would agree with that. I bet nobody in their right mind ever though that India were going to win that match after Sohail and Anwar smashed the daylights out of the Indian bowlers in the first 15 overs.

On paper, it almost looked like KingKong vs Mickey Mouse. Just have a look at that Indian side -
N. Sidhu - Average
S. Tendulkar - Great
S. Majerakar - Less said, the better
M Azharuddin - Good
V Kambli - Kinda good on his day
A Jadeja - Comparatively good
N Mongia - Good as a keeper, worthless as a batsman
A Kumble - Good
J Srinath - Him being the main strike bowlers speaks volumes
V Prasad - Less said, the better
V Raju - Less said, the better

Now, compare it to the then Pak side .......

Mods poll Ho jaaye please.

1) 96 QF
2) 99 Final
3) 07 T20 WC Final
4) 07 Ireland
5) Sydney test
6) T20 semi v Aus.

Last edited:
Com'n poll Ho jaaye please.

1) 96 QF - I bet most of the Pak fans who watched this game will pick this one.

2) 99 Final - Pak won the toss and batted first, when even an U-19 team captain under those circumstances would have opted to bowl first. I think that game angers Pak fans more than the pain it causes them.

3) 07 T20 WC Final - T20's are a joke! But it was against India, it must have hurt. But nowhere even near to that 96 QF or the 99 WC Final.

4) 07 Ireland - That match is reminiscent of Woolmer's death which caused far more pain than that match itself.

5) Sydney test - This must be the most painful one in the last decade in Test cricket.

6) T20 semi v Aus - T20's are a joke!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/series/61956.html

He's right.There was a series in 2001/02 season in UAE,after 9/11.West Indies wanted to play Pakistan at neutral venue instead :(
I thought he was talking about the 2000 series against WI when we should of won our first test series in WI if it wasnt for Saqlains's easiest missed run out opportunity and the poor umpiring.
We lost that test match by 1 wicket and lost the series 1-0. What a sickner.

T20 Semi-Final against Aussies

Can't explain the pain in words.

2010 T20 WC semi final, absolutely heart breaking. I was already celebrating that we had won!

Nothing has or ever will or can compare to the 2007 t20 final loss to india. who cares about forgetting the match, i had nightmares (literally!!) about misbah playing that shot for about 3 days!!! :misbah

so much heartbreak and sad memories, I don't have the heart to make a poll for this one :(

That loss against NZ where Amir scored 73 hurt a lot at the time. What an innings, Vettori was the number two bowler in the world at the time (according to the ICC, might be wrong but he was high up) and Amir just smacked him for 3 sixes. We would've won had Ajmal not screwed up.

The T20 Semi Final loss hurt a lot, Ajmal again the culprit. :eek:

Oh and one more Odi comes to mind, the one where I think mohammed amir and saeed ajmal at the end needed a few runs to win and ajmal scooped one up in the air and we lose to SA. Not as bad as some of the others mentioned, but they all are heartbreaking when they go to the very end and we lose :(

poll added,

99 Final for sure that one was just..................bas matt poochho.

T20 final ... misbah !

sydney test

2003 vs india WC

1999 final

oh yes, 2003, have to add that one.

never seen Lahore so quiet and the streets that empty since that day.

oh yes, 2003, have to add that one.

never seen Lahore so quiet and the streets that empty since that day.

it was depressing ........ seeing the wolf pack :akhtar :waqar :wasim getting hunted instead !

1999 World Cup Final - I remember being only 14 and thats when I first saw shoaib akhtar and became a huge fan. The way we played throughout the world cup was amazing, and to lose like that in the final without a fight was very depressing. Especially having to stay up all night here in NZ and then having to go to school the next day.. not a good feeling at all!

I cant recall a test match between Pakistan and WI in 2001.

I thought he was talking about the 2000 series against WI when we should of won our first test series in WI if it wasnt for Saqlains's easiest missed run out opportunity and the poor umpiring.
We lost that test match by 1 wicket and lost the series 1-0. What a sickner.

Ah right,the 1999/2000 season http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63882.html

Jimmy Adams :pissed:

Thats the one. For me one of the most painful watch even though I was a little kid. I can still remember clearly Saqlains blunder at the end. What a mess up.

Yes, I was at the game for that one... what a sickner!!!!

it was the umpiring that got me the most... 2-3 blatant occasions where they were out for the 10th wicket, (definate snick, couple of lbw's), but umpires just weren't having it! Firstly because Pak were over appealling on everything, and crowd were also getting hostile... I was about to go nuts expecting the victory and would have done cartwheels on the pitch (ok perhaps not cartwheels, but would have gone ballistic), though I noted the hostility feeling near the end and the intense atmosphere... once local guy actually came up to after the game, a little aggressivley.. I thought he was gonna beat me up!! what's a dissapointment though, were robbed of out first test series victory in WI..

others come to mind are like many of the above e.g.:

WC Vs Ireland - sickner, T20 semi Vs Aus, WC 99 final, also 2000 Karachi loss Vs England (that makes me sick.. we lost our unbeaten record in KHI), loss against Oz in Sydney year or so ago, unable to beat NZ and Sri Lanka last year or so when we should have.. am sure there are tonnes more

poll added,

99 Final for sure that one was just..................bas matt poochho.

Harsh lost, started the beginning of Aussie dominance.

If its any consolation, 88 a/o started their downfall.. :19:

surprising only 1 vote for the sydney test.. though i voted for the ireland match, my 2nd choice would be the sydney test match.
The mood after the ireland match was so depressing and the next day in school and general public lifewas probably the most dark and gloomy day i have ever witnessed. The rain didnt help either. everyone was in a state of shock...

only the sydney match probably aroused the same kind of emotion from what ive seen.

though i have to say that eventhough i was sad after the 99WC final loss, I was only 7 so not really in a position to gauge the general mood.

as for people choosing the t20 07 final. :facepalm: I felt pride after that match considering the dumps we had been in a few months earlier

Every single time we get defeated it used to upset me, now I'm immune to upsets.

T20 World Cup semi-final match against Australia. Extremely poor captaincy caused us the birth in the final. We snatched defeat from jaws of victory. Hope our captain does not repeat that feat again

T20 World Cup semi-final match against Australia. Extremely poor captaincy caused us the birth in the final. We snatched defeat from jaws of victory. Hope our captain does not repeat that feat again

No credit to Hussey who played one of a lifetime innings, it has to be the captain. :)))

And then I remember someone saying something along the lines that he won't bash a certain player. I doubted it back then and I doubt it now. :afridi

Sydney Test
WC vs Ireland
1999 WC vs Aus Final
2007 T20 WC vs India Final
1996 WC vs India Quarter Final
2010 T20 WC vs Aus Semi final

Two games I missed out from original post :

- World Cup T20 Final v India. A glaring omission. But at the time, I regarded T20 as a laugh only. But that was painful.

- Windies Test in early 2000s. We still haven't won a series in Windies. This was an ideal chance. Saqi missed Adams or Walsh in a run out opportunity and we lost by one wicket.

Back