Which side will win the 2nd September Asia Cup 2023 clash between Pakistan and India?

Which side will win the 2nd September Asia Cup 2023 clash between Pakistan and India?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
So the hype is building up!

Lots of "whoever takes the pressure well will win" type comments coming up

Here are some from Wasim Akram

"India versus Pakistan is very important, we know about so much support (teams get), so many eyeballs, so many people (following). But other teams are also here to play so you cannot minus Sri Lanka or Bangladesh"

"I think they (India) are trying different things, new players especially in the T20 format, also a new captain. They have a balanced squad. But it will not be easy for India or any team"

==

So your prediction?

I would say Pakistan are favourites for this tie and the cup.

The team is more settled, stronger and also coming off the back of 3 ODI matches in SL, we are better acclimatised for the conditions and ODI matches. We just have the worry of the middle order which I think for now we should go with Saud, Salman, Shadab & Nawaz.

India have their own middle order worries and along with limited ODI's recently for their first team players, match time could be a factor.

I cannot wait to watch the Pakistan fast bowlers bowl in what generally is favourable bowling conditions against the Indian batters.

I am going with Pakistan simply because we have shown in recent times that it is possible to beat India!

I am with Pakistan because the Pakistan team squad is very strong, and they have recently played in Sri Lanka and won the series, which has boosted the team's moral.

Last edited:
For the first time since many years, both sides are equally capable or slightly pakistan team looks better and settled than indian team since 2003 i will say

So NO one thinks India will win this?

I would like to see what reasons people have for this

On current form Pakistan should win this.. India need Kohli/Bumrah special to win this.. and if Rahul plays he'll most likely to play for himself (means he'll eat up lot of deliveries, pandya too)..

India requires individual brilliance to win LOIs. We haven't had a team with all members contributing in a long time .

Pakistan are way ahead of us as a team. You have an XI of guys who have all won matches in recent times.

We rely on Rohit, Shubman, Pandya, Siraj, Kuldeep to win us matches . Rest are either passengers(like fraud Jadeja) or coming back from injury.

So NO one thinks India will win this?

I would like to see what reasons people have for this
1. We have batsman who are good players of spin (Imam, Saud, Salman..)

2. Low pressure game since both India and Pakistan are almost guaranteed to reach Super Four

3. Slow / low wickets will suit us more - as opposed to a flat track..

depends on kohlis doggedness however it will be a close contect on paper indian team is well suited for asian conditions. am praying for pakistan win

Its going to be complete washout

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230829-231531.jpg
    Screenshot_20230829-231531.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 25
Which genius decided to keep the Asia Cup during the monsoon season in Sri Lanka. It will be pelting down there and I doubt we will get many completed games.

Corruption, all I can say.

Which genius decided to keep the Asia Cup during the monsoon season in Sri Lanka. It will be pelting down there and I doubt we will get many completed games.

really it was a bad decision knowing the fact that this season is not good for playing cricket in srlanka due to bad weather.

Not too long to go and the hype machine/players at it.

==
Salman Butt:

"If we look at India's fast bowling, fitness is a concern. Players have been unfit for a long time, we don't know if they are fragile, will they go full throttle. Apart from Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma, they have youngsters, who have played plenty of cricket but they don't have that much of experience."

“India have won matches only when Rohit Sharma has played well or Virat Kohli has done something spectacular. When the onus is on others they have mostly struggled.”

“Pakistan have Babar, Rizwan, Fakhar, Shadab, Shaheen, Haris Rauf. And in my opinion Pakistan have a much larger core group. India too have match-winners like Jadeja, Shami, Bumrah, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli. But their batting is brittle, if Pakistan pick the two big wickets then the others will have a lot to prove. They have not helped India win matches against Pakistan or in their own,”

“We have bowlers who can bowl at 90mph, only one or two can touch 90mph, others don't have that much pace. This is an added advantage. We have both type of spinners, fast bowling all-rounder, and he too touches 140kph"

“There are plenty of expectations from India, hence the pressure is more. And since India have not played against Pakistan for a long time for whatever reasons, their players no matter how much IPL they've played, they don't have the experience of playing in such high-voltage clash. Chahe subah, dopahar, sham IPL khel le (no matter how much you play in the IPL) it does not bring the same pressure, which is during India-Pakistan series"

R Ashwin Hits Bullseye As He Digs Out Secret To Pakistan Team's Rise.

Ravichandran Ashwin feels Pakistan will be the favourites in Asia Cup 2023, alongside India.

As the Asia Cup 2023 begins, it's the India and Pakistan teams that are being considered the 'favourites' for the title. Though it was the Sri Lankan team that won the title last time around (in the T20 version of the tournament), India and Pakistan are being seen as the two outright favourites. While the Indian team has won the tournament, in the ODI version, the most number of times, Pakistan have really pulled their socks up in the last few years. Veteran Indian spinner, Ravichandran Ashwin, in his preview for the Asia Cup 2023, tried to decode the rise of the Paksitan team over the last 5-6 years, and what makes them favourites this year, alongside the Indian team.

"I used to envy looking at the Pakistan side. 5-6 years back, they used to struggle in big tournaments like Asia Cup and World Cup. Yes, of course, they have won big tournaments in the past. They have won the 1992 World Cup and delivered a consistent performance in the T20 World Cup. The main reason for the last 5-6 years' rise can be attributed to Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan," Ashwin said in a video on his YouTube channel.

In fact, Ashwin also credited Pakistani players' experience of playing in different conditions all across the globe as a major reason behind their improved ability to deliver on big stages.

"It all comes down to their squad depth. Pakistan have always produced extraordinary cricketers. because of tape ball cricket, they have always had fast bowlers coming through their ranks. Their batting has been special in the late 90s and 2000s. But their exposure to different leagues has been a major reason for their re-emergence in the last 5-6 years. They have PSL. In the recent BBL drafts they were at least 60-70 Pakistan players.

They are playing Test cricket and play their own T20 leagues. But they are also playing all around the world in England and Australia, and this year there aren't many Pakistan players in CPL, but they always dominate CPL too. They play in the Emirati League, USA, and also in Canada. When talent meets opportunity with different exposures. In IPL, we make sure that talent meets opportunity and that's why we are seeing more cricketers from different regions," Ashwin explained.

"That's why in the last 5-6 years, Pakistan are not only producing world-class cricketers but these talents are only delivering in the big stages."

Ashwin feels if Babar Azam and Mohamad Rizwan remain on song in the coming months, it would be tough to be Pakistan in the Asia Cup and the ODI World Cup.

"If Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan gives consistent performances with the bat in the middle-order,

Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com

then Pakistan are going to be one hell of a team going into this Asia Cup and World Cup. It will take some beating. Pakistan is an exceptional side.

"This year's Asia Cup's most games will be played in Sri Lanka. Who else are more equipped for Sri Lankan conditions than Pakistan? Because almost all the foreigners in the Lanka Premier League are Pakistanis," he asserted.

Pakistan will be on their way to Sri Lanka later tonight

Let the hype begin!

This is the least important one out of all the ones to come in the next couple months - so it's probably the only one that Pakistan will win.

currently in kandy and it was supposed to rain yesterday as per the forecast and rain is expected today also but its gloomy and cloudy without rain so far. Hope the weather changes for Saturday

Pakistan have arrived in Kandy

Attachments

• XS3A5702.jpg
    XS3A5702.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 11
  • XS3A5719.jpg
    XS3A5719.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 6
  • XS3A5726.jpg
    XS3A5726.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • XS3A5731.jpg
    XS3A5731.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 12
currently in kandy and it was supposed to rain yesterday as per the forecast and rain is expected today also but its gloomy and cloudy without rain so far. Hope the weather changes for Saturday
Keep updating us about Kandy weather .

Babar Azam Steers Pakistan to Victory, Eyes The Big Clash with India

Fresh from a dominating win over Nepal, Pakistan's skipper Babar Azam expresses high hopes and readiness for the upcoming Asia Cup face-off against traditional rivals, India.

Babar's splendid knock of 151, coupled with Iftikhar Ahmed's unbeaten 109, propelled Pakistan to a robust 342-6 in Multan. Following their batting prowess, they showcased their bowling might by restricting Nepal, the Asia Cup first-timers, to just 104, marking one of their most significant ODI wins.

Reflecting on the win, Player of the Match Babar noted, "This match has set the stage for our clash against India. We're filled with confidence." He added with enthusiasm, "Matches against India always come with great excitement. We aim to give our best every time and the same will be for this match."

The world's leading ODI batsman, Babar, was in top form, illustrating his class with his bat. Despite the early loss of both openers, he steadied the ship, forming a stable partnership with Mohammad Rizwan, who chipped in with 44. Babar's fifty came from 72 balls, after which he shifted gears, reaching a century in just 109 balls and then scoring rapidly, reminiscent of a T20 innings.

Sharing his in-game strategy, Babar said, "The ball wasn't playing well initially. I aimed to anchor the innings alongside Rizwan." He praised Iftikhar, mentioning, "When he came to bat, I just asked him to play his game. And he did just that, finding his rhythm after a few boundaries."

The team now sets its sights on Pallekele, where they'll challenge India. Notably, India is playing their games in Sri Lanka due to political tensions with Pakistan. Cricket fans are eager for what promises to be a thrilling contest.

Last edited:
Ahead of the match Pakistan captain Babar Azam talked about the time when Virat Kohli praised him. (Star Sports)

"Feels really good, when somebody passes comments like this. The way Virat Kohli has given comments, for me it is a proud moment. I felt really good. When you get praised like this, you get confidence. He said that in 2019 (World Cup) I went up to him. He was at his peak, he is at his peak now too. I thought I should take some lessons from him. I learnt a lot from him then. He explained a lot of things. It helped me a lot. These things help,"

if full match happens, I don't see India beating this Pakistan team ( or even Srilanka for that matter). I am bracing for a long and dark winter for the Indian cricket team

Brad Hogg, former Cricket World Cup-winning Australian leg spinner, believes the contest between Shaheen Shah Afridi and the Indian cricket team top order will decide the fate of the marquee India vs Pakistan clash.

India will play their opening match against Pakistan on September 2 at the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium in Kandy. Hogg said that he would be watching the star-studded clash and the contest could be decided between India's experienced batters and Pakistan's fast-bowling prowess.

"I definitely will be watching it. It is one of the biggest contests that we can have. Look, politics gets in the way of sports everywhere. It's here in Australia, England everywhere. We are just missing the rivalry between the two countries on the cricket field. It will be better for Pakistan as well because they will get the exposure. We want those contests to happen. India has a more dominant batting. Pakistan with their pace attack has a slight advantage, especially with left arm Shaheen Afridi. He is a quality bowler. When you have a left-arm fast bowler who swings the ball with pace and gets them to come in for the right-handers it does make it difficult," said Hogg on Backstage with Boria.

On being asked to comment on the battle between Shaheen Shah Afridi and Rohit Sharma, Hogg said, "I think Shaheen will have a chance with the deliveries that come in against right-handers. If Pakistan can expose Virat Kohli early in the contest against the new ball in front of Shaheen Afridi. The contest between Shaheen against the Indian top three will be decisive. So, for me, that's going to be where the game will be won and lost between India and Pakistan."

NDTV

As of now looks like rain will win on the day but if a match is played I guess whichever team bats first has a better chance if they post a decent score. But if I have to pick a team right now then Pakistan go into the match as favourites as they have a settled team with both bat and ball. For India on the other hand Bumrah is coming after a year of injury so it needs to be seen how well he can perform. With KL and Shreyas still not available Ishan may be in. It will be Gill and Ishan's first match against Pakistan. SKY may again be slotted at 6. He already has pressure on not being able to translate his t20 success into ODI format and his failures against Pakistan so far in t20s will add more pressure on him. So overall on paper Pakistan looks a better side.

Currently on paper the men in blue look unsure about which batters to select, leave alone batting order. SKY technically is a batter the opposition should fear, but he has been off color in ODIs.
Rohit and Kohli are not consistent as before, although on their day they can win games single handedly,but now days thats once in blue moon.
So probably 60 to 40 advantage in Pakistan favor this game.
Thats on paper. However on field many other factors come into play so 10% difference is negligible advantage.

Looks like rain will win at this point but it is a largely meaningless game, in the scheme of the tournament. The next round match will be a big one though.

Mohammad Kaif

"Mohammed Shami is a fantastic bowler, his form is also very good. And even in Bumrah’s absence, he managed the bowling very well. Even his form in the IPL was great. So he has a lot of talent. In my opinion, Babar Azam is going to have a lot of difficulty,"

“For big games, there is always preparation as we have practiced in the training camp. I don't think we have to analyze too much into the situation, we have the skill and the bowling lineup, so we don't have to think too much. But I have to say one thing, whenever one-day matches come, there has to be focus. So to be focused and to have proper planning,” Shami said.

"Depends on whether I have the new ball or whether the team requires me at any stage during the match, I'm always on. I don't have any hesitancy to bowl with the new ball or the old ball. I don't have an ego like that. All three of us (Bumrah, Shami & Siraj) are bowling very well, so it depends on the management on who will play. There is only one goal, to go and give our 100%, the result will come running to us if we give our 100%. So it is very important to focus and execute, it’s a very simple plan.

"There is too much talk about the white ball or red ball, if you bowl in the right areas I don't think that there is any difficulty in any ball. For a long time we didn't have Jassi (Bumrah), so we felt the loss of a good player like him. You sometimes feel like ‘I wish this player was there’, to make your combination set. So having Jassi, especially in the white-ball format, has made our bowling very strong. So you know having Jassi in the team has made us stronger, he’s looking fit and he’s playing well, hopefully, we have a good Asia Cup."

I think India will win. In T20s you can win a match in a few overs. One Shaheen spell can swing the game and give you a low target to chase. In ODIs, talent wins out more often over 50 overs and I think India just have more talent

It is supposed to rain today predicted from 1 pm throughout the whole day and tomorrow. Weather seems okay as of now. We got a full days match yesterday and yesterday was also a day that was forecasted for rain.

It is supposed to rain today predicted from 1 pm throughout the whole day and tomorrow. Weather seems okay as of now. We got a full days match yesterday and yesterday was also a day that was forecasted for rain.
Yesterday was 44%, this is 91 % though

Rain rain go away, come again another day, Pakistan wants to play.

Some guy who decided that Pakistan could not host the Asia Cup in Pakistan. I'm sure he was unhappy that we even kept hosting rights. They should have told India "Ok, you can't come to Pakistan, then we want all our World Cup matches held in Pakistan unless we play you in the semis or final. In return all India matches can be held in India during Asia cup".

I'm pretty sure India will clinch this one, even though Pakistan holds the #1 spot in the ODI rankings. Rankings don't always tell the whole story. Remember when Pakistan lost a series 2-1 to New Zealand at home? That was a reality check. In T20s, Pakistan can give India a tough time, but when it comes to ODIs, teams like India, Australia, England, and New Zealand are ahead of Pakistan, especially when they roll out their best squads.

I'm pretty sure India will clinch this one, even though Pakistan holds the #1 spot in the ODI rankings. Rankings don't always tell the whole story. Remember when Pakistan lost a series 2-1 to New Zealand at home? That was a reality check. In T20s, Pakistan can give India a tough time, but when it comes to ODIs, teams like India, Australia, England, and New Zealand are ahead of Pakistan, especially when they roll out their best squads.
It's not that simple, both sides have issues.

Pakistan is dealing with the problem of fakhar being out of form, babar's struggles against spin, rizwan not making no 4 his own, agha not being a good no 5 and shadab/nawaz not being an ideal no 7.

India is dealing with the problem of rohit being out of form, Gill not performing too well in the West Indies series despite WI having ordinary bowling, Kholi being a bit aged and not the prime 2016 self, and the entire middle order being a complete mess with sky, Kishan, jadeja, pandya being bits and pieces players and Rahul who's the only solid Middle order bat dealing with injuries.

Bowling wise Pakistan is superior however.

The indian team going to the world cup 2023 is significantly weaker then their 2019 2015 and 2011 wc counterparts and their 2017 champions trophy counterparts.

Pakistan is dealing with the problem of fakhar being out of form, babar's struggles against spin, rizwan not making no 4 his own, agha not being a good no 5 and shadab/nawaz not being an ideal no 7.

India is dealing with the problem of rohit being out of form, Gill not performing too well in the West Indies series despite WI having ordinary bowling, Kholi being a bit aged and not the prime 2016 self, and the entire middle order being a complete mess with sky, Kishan, jadeja, pandya being bits and pieces players and Rahul who's the only solid Middle order bat dealing with injuries.

The indian team going to the world cup 2023 is significantly weaker then their 2019 2015 and 2011 wc counterparts and their 2017 champions trophy counterparts.
I am doubtful if Rohit will be able to last 10 balls against Shaheen..That inswinging delivery has always been his weakness

If there is rain in the air (which it will be), I expect a lot of swing to be in play, wonder how much XI selection will be horses for courses as opposed to best one?

23QM4NF.png

Virat Kohli speaking in an interview:

“I feel bowling is their strength. And they’ve got some really impactful bowlers that can change the course of the game anytime based on their skill set. So, you have to be at your absolute best to face them".

"I don’t think you can perform consistently without that mindset because if your performance is your only goal, then you can be satisfied and stop working hard. There is no limit to it.

"There is no set achievement that if you reach a certain stage, you’ve reached excellence. I think I strive for betterment every day, so that is a better word to use, and yes, performance obviously becomes a by-product because your mindset is ‘How do I make my team win from this position?"

Pakistan's problems are much greater as compared to India's. Fakhar won't survive 2 overs against Bumrah, Shami & Siraj. Pakistan's batting is heavily reliant on Imam & Babar, one of them has to stay maybe till the 40th over if Pakistan wants to win this game. We don't have good spinners, Shaheen is a very ordinary bowler when it comes to bowling with the older ball. All in all 75-25 in favor of India, Pakistan will put up a much better fight as compared to the recent ODI's between both sides. In the last 5 ODI's between both sides Ind has destroyed us 4 times the only win we have is the famous 2017 ICC CT Final.

Abdul Razzaq on TV:

"See, the current Pakistan XI is well-balanced. You have proper batters and all-rounders in middle-order. You have full strength in pace and spin attack. You have everything. You should have the same team, this is the best combination. Even if we lose the match against India, you shouldn't be changing the current team. This is the best team we have"

This is meaningless game , i rather want India to win super 4 game instead of 2 sep

After the successful release of Gadar 2, anti pakistan sentiments are at its peak and this is why there will be extra pressure on Indian team to win all the matches against Pakistan this year. :inti

After the successful release of Gadar 2, anti pakistan sentiments are at its peak and this is why there will be extra pressure on Indian team to win all the matches against Pakistan this year. :inti

It'll make Pakistan's Asia cup triumph even more unsettling...for the millions of Muslims living in India.

Why couldn’t they have played these matches in Dambulla which is a dry area?

Hope Shami bhai and Siraj bhai have an off day tomorrow.

Pakistan going in as favorites in any game is not going to end well for us. Hoping for a good game of cricket.

Rohit Sharma plays down rivalry against Pakistan ahead of key clash.

India skipper Rohit Sharma addressed the media ahead of their Asia Cup 2023 opener against Pakistan, playing down the talk of rivalry between the two teams.

India are set to clash against Pakistan in their first match of Asia Cup 2023 on Saturday, 2 September in Pallekele. Rohit said that while the rivalry makes this is a highly anticipated contest, for team India this is just another opponent.

"There are six very competitive teams in the Asia Cup and on a given day anyone can beat anyone," the captain said at the press conference ahead of the encounter.

"Rivalry is there for people to talk about. As a team, what we see is we have an opposition to play tomorrow and see what we want to do. What is going to help us is to keep doing the right things on the field."

Pakistan recently rose to No.1 in the MRF Tyres ICC Men's ODI Team Rankings and the Indian skipper acknowledged the opposition's good form heading into this tournament.

"Pakistan have played really well in recent times in both T20Is and ODIs. They worked really hard to be No.1 and it'll be a good challenge for us tomorrow," he added.

Pakistan began their Asia Cup campaign with a thumping win over Nepal in the first game in Multan. Despite an early stutter, they went on to put on a competitive score and then were clinical with the ball to start the tournament on the right note.

Leading their new ball charge was Shaheen Shah Afridi, who picked up two wickets in the opening over against Nepal and poses a huge threat to India tomorrow.

Asked about the threat of the Pakistan pace attack, Rohit said that the team would bank on experience to counter the pace trio.

"Look, in the nets, we don't have Shaheen, Naseem or Rauf. We practice with who we have. They are all quality bowlers. We just have to use our experience to play them tomorrow," he said.

The skipper also played down the role of toss, stating that there was no guarantee that they can win the match should they win the toss.

"We try to keep our goals small and see what's in front of us. We have Pakistan to face tomorrow and we will focus on that first and then look ahead. We have given time to many players and they have another opportunity in a tournament where six teams play. The issues we want to address, we have addressed. Now we want to focus on doing well in these games."

That is all it take, bad overacting by the actors who have been irrelevant for over the past 30 years to provoke Indians?

Pakistan have opted for the same playing XI for this game

QVMz4Kd.png

pretty brave by pakistan for announcing playing 11 one day before again.

Considering rain this match going to be shorten so announcing playing eleven a day before is very bold decision . it's also show Pakistan is very confident team at this moment

Wow, how many times Pak has announced their playing 11 one day prior to match, that too against arch rivals?

I hope it doesn't turn out be over confidence in the end.

There was a lot of turn on offer on the last match here and considering there has been a lot of rain today (and forecasted for tomorrow) there will be plenty of moisture in the wicket so the fast bowlers will come into play as well. Could be a low scoring game on offer, and India generally don't do well in low scoring games. Most of these batters like batting wickets where they can easily hit their shots.

Pak should have considered playing an extra fast bowler, considering weather conditions, which is most likely to be overcast conditions, so it will suit fast bowlers.. I think Pak mossed a trick by not playing an extra fast bowler…plus should have looked to replace Fakhar who will be sent back quickly by Bumrah, Siraj or Shami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back