Which teams will feature in the final of World Test Championship 2024?

Which teams will feature in the final of WTC 2024?

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
It appears that India and Australia would be the finalist in 2023-2025 WTC final too. But can any other team pull the rabbit out of the hat and replace one of them in the final. With Border Gavaskar series approaching, can it ruin the case for any of these two strong sides?

And even if that happens can it allow teams like New Zealand, Pakistan or England to leap frog. Or is the WTC final fate all but decided.

Most likely Australia and India but u never know how south africa performs in their upcoming matches so they will have a fair chance to qualify.

New Zealand could really benefit from BG series results. Especially if any of the two sides wins it one-sidedly.

England got knocked out the day they surrendered in India.
Screenshot_20240821-214530.jpg

Barring a miracle it will be Australia/India. SA has outside chance. But if India and Austrlaia don't drop their standard drastically they should be good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently best two team will play yet another WTC final - India Vs Australia .

SA has a pathway to the final along with India and Australia. Most probably it will be ind aus final but dont rule out ind vs sa or aus vs sa final either.

Other than these 3 - dont see any other teams even having a chance to be in the final. Stranger things have happened sure but it would be a great upset if some other team qualifies other than these 3.

Pakistan actually would have been in pole position for the Lords final had they took their chances in Australia and had won atleast one game. But still they have a decent chance of making it, thanks to their 2-0 away sweep in Sri Lanka.

All they have to do is -

1. Sweep Bangladesh 2-0 (very likely)
2. Beat England 2-1 at home (possible)
3. Somehow draw 1-1 in South Africa (possible)
4. Sweep West Indies at home (Very likely)

They might even top the table with above results.

I think Aus will win the home series this time but India will win the WTC Final, this making haters cry a river :rabada2
Haters will cry rivers while many Indians will need to be treated for memory loss as we remind them that according to them a 1 match test final means nothing.

Will be glorious times online.

I think Aus will win the home series this time but India will win the WTC Final, this making haters cry a river :rabada2
Then they will say series win over one of final .

Still WTC final is joke so I don't care much about that.

I want india to beat australia in australia over WTC final win. :kp

Haters will cry rivers while many Indians will need to be treated for memory loss as we remind them that according to them a 1 match test final means nothing.

We will remind you because you overhyped not winning an ICC tournament for long time, even demeaning the test no.1 status by highlighting how WTC Final is the Final of a Test World Cup. :afridi

Then they will say series win over one of final .

Still WTC final is joke so I don't care much about that.

I want india to beat australia in australia over WTC final win. :kp

We already did it. Time for them to show if they belong by beating is at home and away both like we did twice for 10 years.

We already did it. Time for them to show if they belong by beating is at home and away both like we did twice for 10 years.
Time for a hat-trick series win against Australia in australia .

Beating Australia anywhere is pure joy but in Australia is pure gold .

They are now our real rivals due to great competition .

Why is england hosting another WTC final.

Westindies or South Africa is great choice for WTC final .

Are people actually serious?

Winning an ICC World Test final by beating Australia at Lords would literally be the peak of Indian Test Cricket history. Also, it'll be rather sweet to get one over Australia in an ICC final after 2003 and 2023.

I don't care if we lose the BGT if the above would happen.

Winning an ICC World Test final by beating Australia at Lords would literally be the peak of Indian Test Cricket history. Also, it'll be rather sweet to get one over Australia in an ICC final after 2003 and 2023.

Nah, sorry.

The anticipation and drama of BGT series can’t be beaten by one match in London where the conditions are literally unfair towards one team.

WTC is joke so no it's not peak of test cricket.

If I was Indian I'd take the WTC over another BGT for sure.

WTC is joke so no it's not peak of test cricket.
I think over the past few years after mostly winning comfortably home and away then the WTC is the final piece. It can be considered the peak for India in this context.

Nah, sorry.

The anticipation and drama of BGT series can’t be beaten by one match in London where the conditions are literally unfair towards one team.

We have already won it four times in a row including twice in Australia.

Beating Australia in an ICC final at a neutral venue will definitely help heal some of the wounds of 2023.

Why is it a "joke" ?

Did Cricketers do stand-up comedy on the field at Southampton and Oval in the last two editions?
A one of game cant decide who is best test cricketing sides.

This formats is itself joke where one team is playing 5 test match and another is playing 2 .

No serious cricket fans call it WTC final .

A Hard fought test series win in australia/ England over WTC final anyday .

Its your choice whatever you think but for me this is the choice .

Time for a hat-trick series win against Australia in australia .

Beating Australia anywhere is pure joy but in Australia is pure gold .

They are now our real rivals due to great competition .
Pfffttt, you still my bunny in finals

Everyday is new day and finally we broke the Jinx by winning a ICC trophy .

So now things will be note same bro .

First things first , I'm eagerly waiting for BGT .

We are going for hat-trick of BGT in australia . Stop us if you can . :kp
Pfffttt, you still my bunny in finals

A one of game cant decide who is best test cricketing sides.

This formats is itself joke where one team is playing 5 test match and another is playing 2 .

No serious cricket fans call it WTC final .

A Hard fought test series win in australia/ England over WTC final anyday .

Its your choice whatever you think but for me this is the choice .

If you win the WTC, you will be the first to come here and twerk and call it greatest competition in history etc

Just be a little less off a spineless fan for once, learn from some of your buddies :yk3

If you win the WTC, you will be the first to come here and twerk and call it greatest competition in history etc

Just be a little less off a spineless fan for once, learn from some of your buddies :yk3
This is my view even before first WTC final unlike others i cant change the my opinion with time .:shh

Everyday is new day and finally we broke the Jinx by winning a ICC trophy .

So now things will be note same bro .

First things first , I'm eagerly waiting for BGT .

We are going for hat-trick of BGT in australia . Stop us if you can . :kp
Hahahahahahaha, Didn't you lose to Sri lanka? You ain't nothing without bumrah.

As long as Australia discard the rubbish that stark has become and keep Travis head around you will get spanked.

Hahahahahahaha, Didn't you lose to Sri lanka? You ain't nothing without bumrah.

As long as Australia discard the rubbish that stark has become and keep Travis head around you will get spanked.
Who the hell care about Sri Lanka series ,not even Indian players were taken seriously but this is not a excuse as we were really played pathetic against spinners .

We will beat you in BGT trophy again at your home . :kp

Then will think about CT and WTC final .

Who the hell care about Sri Lanka series ,not even Indian players were taken seriously but this is not a excuse as we were really played pathetic against spinners .

We will beat you in BGT trophy again at your home . :kp

Then will think about CT and WTC final .
Ct Australia will win and wtc as well, You might as well just give up

There's no magic in a one-off test. Limited over games are different since they've always been built that way i.e. tournament building up to a final but a single test to decide everything after 2 years just leaves you unsatisfied.

For example New Zealand won the first cycle. I'd be hard-pressed to acknowledge them as the best test team in the world on the back of 2 home series wins over India & Pakistan and an away draw against Sri Lanka. There was no other clean claimant since both Australia and India had flaws but even so, I'm just...unsatisfied.

Australia has lost 4 back to back series to us, 2 of them in their own home.
In Australia people care more about test series than ODIs ( I mean real Australians not desi immigrants) so it is mighty important for them too.

It should be Australia vs India (with Aussies winning the final again).

I can see Aussies becoming the 2-time WTC winner.

If we lose the 5 match BG series then winning a one off WTC final (flawed format) won’t mean much just like Australia beating us in the WTC final didn’t mean anything as we smashed them at their home twice in a row already.

It would be India vs Australia, but let's see if Australia could dent India's chances ahead.

India will play Australia again in the WTC final.

Hopefully India crosses the line this time after two successive losses in WTC finals.

India missed Pant, Shreyas, Rahul, Bumrah & Ashwin(not picked in the 11) in last year's WTC final. Australia defeated an understrength Indian team, hopefully we will have all guys fit for next year's final at Lord's.

India missed Pant, Shreyas, Rahul, Bumrah & Ashwin(not picked in the 11) in last year's WTC final. Australia defeated an understrength Indian team, hopefully we will have all guys fit for next year's final at Lord's.
Main problem is India goes to play WTC final right after IPL. Steve smith was already there playing county when India landed. Similarly New zealand had played a Test series in England right before India landed. Also getting used to conditions is a big part of a test series. Even if you lose the first test you should be able to come back. This makes one off match a farce.

I don't think we missed iyer outside of sub continent. He simply smashes few fours and disperse. He does not have any technique to survive on spicy tracks even in odis.Bumrah definitely must have taken care of head with bouncers.

Main problem is India goes to play WTC final right after IPL. Steve smith was already there playing county when India landed. Similarly New zealand had played a Test series in England right before India landed. Also getting used to conditions is a big part of a test series. Even if you lose the first test you should be able to come back. This makes one off match a farce.

BCCI is to be blamed for this. Why not schedule second part of the IPL in month of September-October when India qualify for the WTC final? India should play at least two 3 day matches before the WTC final.

I don't think we missed iyer outside of sub continent. He simply smashes few fours and disperse. He does not have any technique to survive on spicy tracks even in odis.Bumrah definitely must have taken care of head with bouncers.
yes you are right but India certainly missed the other four - Pant, Bumrah, Ashwin & Rahul.

The person who voted for Afghanistan clearly got the format mixed lol. Afg in red ball so far not has been that great. far better than BD's starting but BD's starting standard is way way low to even compare anything

That's the problem with haters like you. Your blind hatred towards Ind clouds your thoughts and assessments. Credit is where its due. Ind has been the best performing test team the past 10 years. Invincible at home and winning away as well. Winning in sena is very tough. Pak record in Aus proves it. Infact after Ind - sl has been the best performing Asian team in sena countries

They were never in the contention of WTC Final .
Stokes already made sure of that. He takes awful lot of time to set field for each and every ball as it is big part of Bazball. Strategic field sets. It never allows him to complete overs in a given day. So they invariably get penalized. That is the tradeoff.

That's the problem with haters like you. Your blind hatred towards Ind clouds your thoughts and assessments. Credit is where its due. Ind has been the best performing test team the past 10 years. Invincible at home and winning away as well. Winning in sena is very tough. Pak record in Aus proves it. Infact after Ind - sl has been the best performing Asian team in sena countries
I don't think you understood the post bro

India will by default enter in each final due to their consistency at this rate. England's goal is to "entertain" people as Stokes puts it not reaching WTC final. NZ is the only other viable team that can reach final if Australia committs another over-rate blunder like in first edition.

I don't think you understood the post bro
I get it - a. WTC final is crucial even if its a one off. No getting around it. But that doesn't discount the previous 2 yeara test wins especially in sena conditions. Pak posters will spin it here both aways. If Ind wins the wtc final but loses test series in sena but wins at home - they will say ind is a home track bully and fluked the final. If they lose the wtc final but win tough away sena series- they will say Ind succumbs to final pressure, csnt handle pressure, final is what matters etc etc..

One of the two teams is gonna be India for sure. The other team could be Australia or might be New Zealand.

One of the two teams is gonna be India for sure. The other team could be Australia or might be New Zealand.
Sri Lanka and south Africa have a serious outside chance.

Sri Lanka has many home games. They are more than capable of beating Aussies and kiwis at home. And SA away where they have won before.

4/6 should seal it I think

SA need to beat all teams at home as it will be Asian teams they will face. Away vs Bangladesh will be tricky.

England having the most balanced conditions is as wrong as it gets.

It should be held in a different Big 3 country at least if not at other venues.

It should be held in a different Big 3 country at least if not at other venues.
Yes, 3 tests at different countries + force everyone to play 3 tests home and away. Otherwise it's a joke format, you can play all series at home in one cycle and beat mostly weaker teams and get to final. Test championship is joke in current format.

Winning tests/series away from home against top sides defined greatness. Nothing has changed, Same holds true now.

Yes, 3 tests at different countries + force everyone to play 3 tests home and away. Otherwise it's a joke format, you can play all series at home in one cycle and beat mostly weaker teams and get to final. Test championship is joke in current format.

Winning tests/series away from home against top sides defined greatness. Nothing has changed, Same holds true now.
That's a larger issue with the WTC.

But the final at least should be in a different country each time.

That's a larger issue with the WTC.

But the final at least should be in a different country each time.
Honestly speaking, we did not need WTC to say that India and Aus has been the best two test teams in the last 10 years.

NZ sneaked once in final due to mostly playing home games. In future also, it will happen time to time due to format being a joke.

One off game does not belong in the test format. Test format has always been about playing playing well over a 15-20 days.

If Final was held in Asia then India will win 9 out of 10 times in finals so it will be boring. But agree that playing one final in Eng all the time is meaningless.

Back