Who will replace Arsene Wenger as new Manager of Arsenal?

Who will replace Arsene Wenger as new Manager of Arsenal?

• Total voters

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
A few candidates listed in this article

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/20/football/arsene-wenger-arsenal-who-will-replace-him/index.html

(CNN)Whoever replaces Arsene Wenger as Arsenal manager will have big shoes to fill.

After 22 years in charge, three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups, Wenger not only turned Arsenal into one of the world's biggest football clubs, he also revolutionized the game in England.

In the latter years a section of Arsenal fans campaigned for the Frenchman to leave, and they got their wish Friday when the 68-year-old announced his intention to quit at the end of the season.
Former Arsenal goalkeeper David Seaman, who won two league titles under Wenger, hopes the club opts for an experienced manager with influence.

"What I want is an established manager that goes into the club and says, 'I want this sort of money to buy these sorts of players,'" Seaman told CNN World Sport.

"I feel if someone goes in a little bit younger they won't have the influence and it might just carry on the same way."

We take a look at the list of managerial candidates who could replace the Frenchman in the Arsenal hot seat.

Thomas Tuchel

Despite reports that former Borussia Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel had already agreed to join French club Paris Saint-Germain at the end of the season, the German immediately became the bookies' favorite to replace Wenger after his departure was announced.

Tuchel made his name with Mainz 05 in the Bundesliga, before moving to Borussia Dortmund in 2015 to replace Jurgen Klopp.

The 44-year-old endured a tumultuous time at the Westfalenstadion, winning the 2016-17 German Cup but leaving in acrimonious fashion just weeks later after falling out with the hierarchy.

That included a reportedly frosty relationship with Dortmund's then head of recruitment Sven Mislintat, who has since moved to Arsenal to take up the same role.

Patrick Vieira

Currently second favorite for the job, Patrick Vieira has a rich history with Arsenal.

The Frenchman won three Premier League titles as a player at the club -- including one as captain of the "Invincibles" side -- and three FA Cups between 1996 and 2005.

Now manager of MLS side New York City FC, Vieira has even been touted as a replacement for Pep Guardiola at Manchester City, though Wenger said in his Thursday press conference that Vieira "has the potential" to one day manage Arsenal.

Thierry Henry

Another former player under Wenger at Arsenal, Henry became one of the world's most feared strikers in his time at the club.

Despite his close relationship with Wenger and the club, Henry hasn't shied away from criticizing both in his role as a TV pundit.

Henry is currently cutting his managerial teeth as an assistant to Belgium national team coach Roberto Martinez, his first coaching role in football.

However, he is an outsider to replace Wenger with odds of around 25/1.

Brendan Rodgers

Brendan Rogers is one of only a few managers touted to replace Wenger with Premier League experience.

The Northern Irishmen was in charge of Liverpool during their infamous collapse during the 2013-14 season, when they led the league before Steven Gerrard's slip against Chelsea and a capitulation at Crystal Palace allowed Manchester City to win the title.

During his time in charge, he was praised for his attacking style of football and has carried that same philosophy into his new role as Celtic manager.

Rodgers led Celtic to a domestic treble in his first season in Glasgow, as the team went unbeaten on their way to lifting the Premiership, Scottish Cup and League Cup.

Carlo Ancelotti

Another of those with Premier League experience is Carlo Ancelotti.

The Italian, one of the most decorated managers in world football, coached Chelsea to a Premier League and FA Cup Double in 2009-10.

He most recently coached Bayern Munich but, after winning the Bundesliga in his first season, was sacked by the club following a poor start to the current campaign.

Ancelotti is the only manager to have won the Champions League three times, a competition which eluded Wenger in his time at Arsenal.

Diego Simeone

Diego Simeone will be in the opposite dugout when Arsenal face Atletico Madrid in the Europa League semifinals.

The Argentine, who has enjoyed an incredibly successful seven years in the Spanish capital, is many Arsenal fans' favorite to take over the reigns.

After a glittering career as a player, Simeone learned his trade as a manager in Argentina before moving to Atleti in 2011.

He led "Los Colchoneros" to La Liga glory in 2013-14, breaking Barcelona and Real Madrid's duopoly on the title, the Europa League in 2012 and has twice lost out to Real Madrid in the Champions League final.

Antonio Conte

One of the outsiders for the role, Antonio Conte's name has been thrown into the mix as a product of his reportedly strained relationship with current club Chelsea.

After winning the Premier League in his first season in charge at the London club, Conte has been openly critical of the lack of investment in his team.

Sitting in fifth place, five points behind Tottenham and a Champions League place, the Italian is expected to leave the club at the end of the season.

Who will be Arsenal's next manager?

So who do Footie fans feel will be Arsenal's next manager?. I reckon it could be Brendan Rodgers. Thierry Henry could be an outside contender as well. Ancelotti, Joachim Low and Diego Simeone will also be in the running. Tony Adams is also being linked.

Patick Viera also has a chance, his MLS team are doing well.

But I think Arsenal would want an experienced manager, Simeone would be great for them.

Could be anyone!

My ideal choice would be Viera with Henry as assistant coach...
Problem with this is that we’re going down the Newcastle/Shearer sentimental route.
Although both these guys now have a bit more experience in the respective roles, albeit in the MLS and for Belgium...

Simeone is a winner but his entire system is different..

Maybe Ancelloti but he would be a stop gap and we need to invest in a younger manager.

Tuchel has been named as a contender a lot recently.

thry need a proven name to get out of this slump as there is fierce competition

first priority should be ANCELOTTI FOLLOWED BY lIUS ENRIQUE

Luis Henriques being touted now.
He would be superb.

In Football Manager, I took Fleetwood FC from League 2 to Champions League trophy :ma

Expecting a call soon.

The only big name coaches I can see them appointing are Allegri, Enrique or Carlo (in that order)

Otherwise i think it will be a young manager, still think Viera is in the running despite his comments

Personally hope it’s Allegri. Enrique I’m unsure about but would be behind, Carlo is another Wenger at this stage

I thnk Luis Enriques would be a good fit for Arsenal.

[MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] we aren't getting Buvac. Stop believing what is written in the press.

Really hard to tell. I have no idea who it will be so voted other but I think Thierry Henry would be good for them but not sure how realistic that is tbh.

[MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] we aren't getting Buvac. Stop believing what is written in the press.

His odds are like 1/3 (more favorable of happening than not happening!!!!), and bookies often don't lose that much money. 2nd and 3rd are like 5/1, 6/1... which makes him a clear front runner. And, I have checked all major listings - it can't be coincidence.

My hunch is, if they don't get someone like Tuchel, Simione or Enrique; Buvac might be a stop gap recruitment for couple of years. Without CL and huge debt servicing for Emeritus, I don't think Yanks are opening their checque book - which'll be first condition for Managers like Carlo, Allegri or even Zidane (he'll be sacked if Real fails at Kiev).

Last edited by a moderator:
His odds are like 1/3 (more favorable of happening than not happening!!!!), and bookies often don't lose that much money. 2nd and 3rd are like 5/1, 6/1... which makes him a clear front runner. And, I have checked all major listings - it can't be coincidence.

My hunch is, if they don't get someone like Tuchel, Simione or Enrique; Buvac might be a stop gap recruitment for couple of years. Without CL and huge debt servicing for Emeritus, I don't think Yanks are opening their checque book - which'll be first condition for Managers like Carlo, Allegri or even Zidane (he'll be sacked if Real fails at Kiev).

Your relaying on bookies odds LOL. The bookies had Arteta as favourite last week so don't believe them. In reality the media doesn't have a clue who Arsenal will appoint as we keep our business private.

There is enough experienced managers avaliable I am sure we will get 1 before going to an inexperienced manager. Furthmore you might want to do your research on Buvac. He doesn't even like doing interviews in the media . So how will he do 4 interviews a week :))) after not doing any in 10 plus years ?

Bookies odd don't mean anything.

We don't want Carlo that's why he hasn't been appointed . It has nothing to do with the yanks. He has been avaliable for months yet we haven't appointed him . Also Kronke son is very interested in his sports team , he will ensure we appoint the right manager .

You need to do a little more research. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Manchester - Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has promised not to stand in the way of long-time assistant Rui Faria should he pursue ambitions of becoming a manager in his own right.

United's bitter rivals Liverpool secured their place in the Champions League final on Wednesday after a turbulent week that saw Jurgen Klopp's assistant for the past 17 years, Zeljko Buvac, leave the club.

Buvac now leads the betting to become the man to succeed Arsene Wenger as Arsenal manager at the end of the season, a role Faria has also been linked with.

Faria, like Mourinho, never played top-level football, but became a significant part of Mourinho's coaching staff after meeting the future United manager during a seminar day at Barcelona's Camp Nou stadium in 2000.

At the time, Mourinho was assistant to Louis van Gaal at Barcelona but, when he became a manager in his own right at Portuguese club Uniao de Leiria in 2001, he took Faria on as his fitness coach, and the two remained together for spells at Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid.

However, Faria's touchline antics have also made him a controversial figure. In 2014 he was handed a four-game stadium ban for using abusive language towards the officials in a shock 2-1 home defeat for Chelsea at the hands of Sunderland.

"You ask me if I think it would be a good fit and I say 'yes'. And I say it because he is more than my assistant, he is my friend," said Mourinho of Faria's credentials for the Arsenal job.

"If my friend has the possibility one day of a big job, I would help him to pack and to carry the bags and to wish him luck.

"So if one day that is going to happen, the first one to be happy would probably be myself because I met him when he was a kid in his university and we were together for 18 years."

Martial, Rashford 'trusted'

Mourinho also said he has full trust in both Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford to play up front as Romelu Lukaku recovers from an ankle injury.

The Belgium striker is recovering from a knock sustained during last weekend's 2-1 win over Arsenal and is facing a battle to get fit for the FA Cup final against Chelsea on May 19.

Martial's long-term future has been the subject of speculation in recent weeks, as he has completed 90 minutes in the Premier League just once since February 11.

Reports from his native France in April suggested that Martial wanted to leave Old Trafford, having seen his opportunities to play restricted since the arrival of Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal in January.

The forward's place in France's World Cup squad is far from assured, given that coach Didier Deschamps has significant attacking options and did not select him for their decisive qualifiers against Bulgaria and Belarus last autumn.

Rashford has made only two Premier League starts in 2018, although Mourinho has made clear in the past that he does not feel the forward needs to be playing regularly at club level to ensure a place in England's squad for the finals in Russia.

"They have had limited opportunities because Romelu has played all the games this season," said Mourinho of United's top scorer, who has netted 27 times in his debut season at Old Trafford.

"He was playing well and was playing the way I wanted him to play and has had no injuries, no suspensions. But I do trust them, no problem."

https://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/En...nt-block-assistant-faria-for-top-job-20180504

Mourinho is just trolling, Faria is a fitness coach and beyond that, his only real job is managing Mourinho during his mood swings.

I get the impression the manger will be Allegri, or someone really random/new

Want us to appoint a manager asap. World cup will hinder our transfers slightly, so need a manager appointed before then. Have a feeling we have 1 our 2 opitions in mind but won't confirm anything till the season is over.

Allegri ,Tuchel , or Jardim are my 3 choices to be the next manager.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sky sources: Massimiliano Allegri to discuss future with Juventus as soon as Serie A title race is over. Allegri is on shortlist of candidates to succeed Arsene Wenger at <a href="https://twitter.com/Arsenal?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Arsenal</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SSN?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SSN</a> <a href="https://t.co/Plnv0PCSgx">pic.twitter.com/Plnv0PCSgx</a></p>— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/993519441588703232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 7, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think it will be Buvac, Liverpool assistant manager. Can't see any big manager coming in if he doesn't get a big transfer war chest. Allegri and Touchel maybe outside chances.

I think it will be Buvac, Liverpool assistant manager. Can't see any big manager coming in if he doesn't get a big transfer war chest. Allegri and Touchel maybe outside chances.

It won't be Buvac. He doesn't like doing interviews to the media. Hardly done any in 10 plus years so how will go to dealing with the press 4 times a week.

Plenty of Arsene Wenger backroom staff have been told they won't be at the club next year according to reports.

The announcement isn't far away imo.

Would love to see Viera as an Arsenal Manager. We have been desperate for some Defensive organization, and that was last seen in the invincible era. Too many Arsenal teams have taken Liberty after that offensively without thinking about the defence...

Would love to see Viera as an Arsenal Manager. We have been desperate for some Defensive organization, and that was last seen in the invincible era. Too many Arsenal teams have taken Liberty after that offensively without thinking about the defence...

Might want to do some research. What I have heard Viera likes to play attacking football.

According to the reports I'm reading and seeing , Mikel Arteta is favourite.

Might want to do some research. What I have heard Viera likes to play attacking football.

Saw his New York side is doing really well... Haven't heard much besides that... THe man has made his bones organizing defences for Arsenal... Wenger wasn't at the heart of that since he has no interest in defence.. Even Adams has said Wenger didn't care much about the defence

Saw his New York side is doing really well... Haven't heard much besides that... THe man has made his bones organizing defences for Arsenal... Wenger wasn't at the heart of that since he has no interest in defence.. Even Adams has said Wenger didn't care much about the defence

Just because you could organise a defence as a player doesn't mean you can as a manager.

Wenger didn't need to concentrate on defence in his early years. His first great side was drilled well by Georgre Graham so they didn't need much coaching. Then his 2nd great team had brilliant 1 v 1 defenders. Now days you need to have more structure defensively and also be able to run and be airally stronger. Wenger didn't adapt.

Mikel Arteta seems to be the hot favourite. Allegri is also a candidate but wants serious transfer funds if he is to take charge. Arsenal seem to have around a £200 million transfer kitty for next season that will be nowhere near enough in a market where the average fee for a player now is £50 million. Not sure if the board will finance any big name players in the summer when they did the likes of Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang, Lacazette and Mavropanos some months back. Can't say these signings have been great successes. Letting Ox leave was another major blunder by Arsene Wenger, they need a no nonsense manager to take care of their many lazy players.

Last edited:
Mikel Arteta seems to be the hot favourite. Allegri is also a candidate but wants serious transfer funds if he is to take charge. Arsenal seem to have around a £200 million transfer kitty for next season that will be nowhere near enough in a market where the average fee for a player now is £50 million. Not sure if the board will finance any big name players in the summer when they did the likes of Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang, Lacazette and Mavropanos some months back. Can't say these signings have been great successes. Letting Ox leave was another major blunder by Arsene Wenger, they need a no nonsense manager to take care of their many lazy players.

Why does everyone belive we only have £50 million to spend ? It's absolute nonsense being portrayed by the media . We are going to sign Sokritis from Dortmund for £17 million. £30 off million on another defender from the Bundasliga. And over £20 million on Leno. We will also sell players.

Stop believing everything the media tell you.

Cape Town - Arsene Wenger believes his former player Mikel Arteta has what it takes to follow in his footsteps and take charge of Arsenal.

Wenger, who is leaving his job as Arsenal manager after 22 years, has backed Arteta to do well as the club's new boss, should he be given the opportunity.

Numerous managers have been linked with the Gunners post, but Arteta has surfaced as one of the favourites to take over from his former manager despite not having any experience in the role.

The 36-year-old Spaniard is currently joint-assistant coach at Manchester City, where manager Pep Guardiola has given him his blessing to pursue the job in north London.

Wenger told beIN Sports: "He has all the qualities to do the job, yes and I think as well he is one of the favourites.

"He was a leader, and he has a good passion for the game and he knows the club well, he knows what is important at the club and he was captain of the club. Why not?"

When asked about Arteta's lack of managerial experience, Wenger responded: "I left a lot of experience behind me, people who were with me like Steve Bould who has six years experience, and Jens Lehmann too.

"He has been an assistant of Guardiola as well, so overall I think he has the qualities."

https://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/EnglishPremiership/wenger-backs-arteta-for-arsenal-job-20180517

Why does everyone belive we only have £50 million to spend ? It's absolute nonsense being portrayed by the media . We are going to sign Sokritis from Dortmund for £17 million. £30 off million on another defender from the Bundasliga. And over £20 million on Leno. We will also sell players.

Stop believing everything the media tell you.

Coz historically Arsenal are not heavy spenders. Also, you did spend rather heavily some months back on players I mentioned in my previous post.

Coz historically Arsenal are not heavy spenders. Also, you did spend rather heavily some months back on players I mentioned in my previous post.

That was when was Wenger was incharge. There was finances avaliable he just dithered too much.

Also we have spent £100 million on 2 players in the last year.

Honestly I hope Arteta is a genius

This will be one of the biggest gambles the history of the sport imo.

Arteta wasn't my first choice but think he will be a good coach one day but risky by Arsenal to make this his first job. He has a good philosophy from what I have read. I will be fully behind him. Hopefully he gets some experienced coaches around him.

We don't know how he will set up so for me that's excited . You may not agree with the appointment but don't understand how you can't be excited by the appointment.

Back