Who will replace Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Ravindra Jadeja in India T20I side?

prakash

Debutant
Runs
With Rohit, Kohli, Jadeja announcing their retirement from T20I, who do you think will replace them in the Indian squad?

• Rohit: Jaiswal or Gill?
  • Rohit (c): Pandya
  • Kohli: Jaiswal or Gill. Samson? then Pant vs Samson for WK and first down?
  • Jadeja: I can't think of any other T20 all rounder. Will be difficult to find a replacement and a fifth bowler.

Abhishek Sharma/Gill for Kohli
Jaiswal/Gaekwad for Rohit Sharma
Not sure about any other spinning allrounder, though in most places T20 wickets are batsmen friendly and you would not need a third spinner. I would concentrate on developing an alternative for Siraj/ Shami.

For the direct replacment of players, there isn't much to say.

Rohit: Jaiswal , Ruturaj
Kohli: Gill
Jadeja: in t20is, it doesn't really matter much, he wasn't even that great. Axar should be fine for now
Rohit(c): Pandya can be temporary captain. I would like to see how Ruturaj does in IPL. Captaincy is an issue for now

Axar Patel is almost like for like replacement for Jadeja. in most tracks you cant carry three spinners in LOIs

The future for Ind T20 is great especially batting - long list of exciting young gen batters - Abhishek sharma, jaiswal, riyan parag, nitish reddy, tilak verma, shashank singh, plus you already have sanju samson, rinku singh , even patidar even though is 30 but an absolute spin basher etc..

India's only irreplaceable player is Bumrah. Rest have replacements.
So true. A long list of batters and a long list of competent fast bowlers as well but no one like Bumrah. Ind will miss Bumrah the most after he goes. Even in this 2024 t20wc team - the 1st name on the list would be Bumrah before rohit, sky etc,, just shows how skilled and talented he is and why he is so valuable

The future for Ind T20 is great especially batting - long list of exciting young gen batters - Abhishek sharma, jaiswal, riyan parag, nitish reddy, tilak verma, shashank singh, plus you already have sanju samson, rinku singh , even patidar even though is 30 but an absolute spin basher etc..
Shashank Singh is 32

I do believe Hardik Pandya will take over the captaincy. Replacing the other three will difficult considering the stalwarts they have been for Indian cricket.

Did someone say Ruturaj?

Lmao, I'd gladly take a 45 year old Rohit over that dud.

India has abundance of quality batsman, atleast for shortest format.
Gill, Gaikwad, Sudharsan, Abhishek, Parag, Jaiswal, Rinku, Padikkal etc will make sure India wont miss Rohit and Kohli.
Jadeja will be replaced by Axar and Sundar.

With Rohit, Kohli, Jadeja announcing their retirement from T20I, who do you think will replace them in the Indian squad?

• Rohit: Jaiswal or Gill?
  • Rohit (c): Pandya
  • Kohli: Jaiswal or Gill. Samson? then Pant vs Samson for WK and first down?
  • Jadeja: I can't think of any other T20 all rounder. Will be difficult to find a replacement and a fifth bowler.
Abhishek sharma can replace jaddu.

Gill, Jaiswal, Abhishek
SKY
Pant, Samson
Hardik
Axar

More names will add up.

Probable XI for 2026 T20 World cup

Shubham
Jaiswal/Abhishek
Kishan/Pant (wk)
Suryakumar
Rinku
Parag
Hardik (c)
Axar
Kuldeep
Arshdeep
Bumrah

Reserves :-
Tilak
Siraj
Mayank
Sundar
Gaikwad

Possible India T20 team in future. Abhishek Sharma and Jaiswal as openers . SKY at 3. Rishabh Pant, Hardik, Tilak Varma, Rinku Singh, Samson, Venkatesh Iyer, Dhruv Jurel, Shreyas Iyer, Riyan Parag, Nitish Reddy are good options. Spin bowling options - Varun chakravarthy, Kuldeep Yadav, Axar Patel.
Seam bowling options - Arshdeep Singh, Mayank Agarwal, Siraj, Natarajan

Nobody is talking about how horrible Pant was in the Caribbean leg of this world cup. He was pushed up the order so he can play as he does in tests. Instead he keeps playing atrocious shots and gets out. I don't think he should be an automatic choice in T20Is. That Gaikwad guy plays at 125/130 SR and shouldn't be in the team as well.

Jaiswal.will replace Rohit
Gill will replace Kohli
Axar will replace Jadeja
Abhishek Sharma/Dube will share a spot only if they can pitch in with 2 to 3 overs
Sanju Samson should be in for Pant
Hardik will be the captain
Rinku Singh will be the finisher

Jaiswal
Abhishek
Gill
KL
SKY
Parag
Rinku
Axar
Kuldeep/Quick3
Quick1
Quick2

This team looks fine to me and Abhishek/Parag can send down 4 overs together.

Did someone say Ruturaj?

Lmao, I'd gladly take a 45 year old Rohit over that dud.
For ODIs he's not a bad option. Should benowhere near the T20 team though - dont want the MS Dhoni tuk tuk take it deep mentality back in the team. Batters have to go bang from ball one like Jaiswal and this WC Rohit version

very difficult to get into the shoes of Virat and Rohit.

But a good time for India to build a new side for future.

I think India might struggle to cruise into finals as easily without Rohit and Kohli.

Still the strongest squad in cricket but that experience loss is massive.

Nobody is talking about how horrible Pant was in the Caribbean leg of this world cup. He was pushed up the order so he can play as he does in tests. Instead he keeps playing atrocious shots and gets out. I don't think he should be an automatic choice in T20Is. That Gaikwad guy plays at 125/130 SR and shouldn't be in the team as well.

Jaiswal.will replace Rohit
Gill will replace Kohli
Axar will replace Jadeja
Abhishek Sharma/Dube will share a spot only if they can pitch in with 2 to 3 overs
Sanju Samson should be in for Pant
Hardik will be the captain
Rinku Singh will be the finisher
I dont think Sanju Samson can replace Pant long term. He looks very dicey against quality pace bowling and for the same reason has not succeeded in international cricket. Even in IPL he tends to start off well & falls off by the end of the tournament.

Pant needs more time though after his extensive injuries - clearly as the tournament progressed he was struggling with his knee. Probably was in pain which affected his shots.

I dont think Sanju Samson can replace Pant long term. He looks very dicey against quality pace bowling and for the same reason has not succeeded in international cricket. Even in IPL he tends to start off well & falls off by the end of the tournament.

Pant needs more time though after his extensive injuries - clearly as the tournament progressed he was struggling with his knee. Probably was in pain which affected his shots.
Maybe but India needs a fit player. Pant's keeping wasn't up to the standard too

Jaiswal
Abhishek
Gill
KL

This team looks fine to me and Abhishek/Parag can send down 4 overs together.
Kl is a serious liability with his selfish nature. Abhishek can send down 4 overs easily and will be able to replicate jadeja overs.Rinku can bowl too.Jaiswal is working on it too

Watch out for Gill and Jaiswal now that they will get a free run for some time.
For Jadeja.. Axar/Abhishek. etc. There are pleothra of SLA allrounders/darters who are more than decent T20I bats

Nobody is talking about Shahbaz ahmed as a potential replacement for Ravindra Jadeja. Board needs to take a serious look at him

I think India might struggle to cruise into finals as easily without Rohit and Kohli.

Still the strongest squad in cricket but that experience loss is massive.

Babar shouldn’t think now that it will be easy for them to beat India without Virat and Rohit. It’s not easy for Pakistan as USA part timers beat them

Jaiswal at opening is the obvious answer. Indian members here mark my word he is your 3rd "god" status player batsman after Sachin and kohli

For Jadeja they have a perfect replacement in Axar Patel but for Rohit and Virat it will take time to fill the gap created by these two legends.

For Jadeja they have a perfect replacement in Axar Patel but for Rohit and Virat it will take time to fill the gap created by these two legends.
No time is required to find a replacement for any player in the T20 format. There are plenty of youngsters available who can score faster than Kohli and Rohit. These youngsters need match awareness and mental strength; otherwise, they could end up like KL and Pant. Even SKY is struggling on big stages.

World Cup is in two years. We need to try all these IPL bullies, filter and refine them to settle the team for the next World Cup.

No time is required to find a replacement for any player in the T20 format. There are plenty of youngsters available who can score faster than Kohli and Rohit. These youngsters need match awareness and mental strength; otherwise, they could end up like KL and Pant. Even SKY is struggling on big stages.

World Cup is in two years. We need to try all these IPL bullies, filter and refine them to settle the team for the next World Cup.
India can try but we know there will never be another Sharma or Kohli. These are once in a generation players which were not the product of the system, but succeeded due to their own ability, hard work, courage and luck.

I have not used the word ‘talent’ as that word has been badly tarnished by Pakistanis by associating it with the likes of Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal and Azam Khan.

Speaking on the sidelines of the Trinity Golf Championship League second edition curtain-raiser event, Kapil Dev stated that no one can replace Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma in any format, he said:

“No one can take Virat and Rohit’s place in the Indian team in any format. They have been a huge servant of Indian cricket, and it was a happy farewell for them. The stature that Virat has made of himself in all formats, he will surely be missed in T20Is. Both are the same as Sachin Tendulkar and MS Dhoni. They are irreplaceable,”

India's only irreplaceable player is Bumrah. Rest have replacements.
Not really. Bumrah is goat level player but we can still have capable replacements

So many talents to develop
Rana
Kuldeep Sen
Tyagi
Himanshu

We can add extra batting depth if bumrah is missing. Bowling quality will be slightly inferior but we will still be more balanced.

Young gen talents are there.

Possible India T20 team in future. Abhishek Sharma and Jaiswal as openers . SKY at 3. Rishabh Pant, Hardik, Tilak Varma, Rinku Singh, Samson, Venkatesh Iyer, Dhruv Jurel, Shreyas Iyer, Riyan Parag, Nitish Reddy are good options. Spin bowling options - Varun chakravarthy, Kuldeep Yadav, Axar Patel.
Seam bowling options - Arshdeep Singh, Mayank Agarwal, Siraj, Natarajan
Mayank yadav
Not agarwal. Lol.

Rohit's replacement is already there in the form of Jaiswal, Abhishek. Virat one is a big shoe to fit in. He is someone who can be unmatched. There is nobody who can replace virat TBH. He is an atg and goat.

Jadeja's replacement is also there. Axar is doing good job atm.

Batters and spinners are not that hard to replace in India. We have an insane supply of these in our pipeline.

I'll be more worried about replacing a certain Jasprit Bumrah, who i think will inevitably go down in the next 2-3 years.

Batters and spinners are not that hard to replace in India. We have an insane supply of these in our pipeline.

I'll be more worried about replacing a certain Jasprit Bumrah, who i think will inevitably go down in the next 2-3 years.
4 to 5 years dude. Don't scare me.

We should wrap him in cotton wool - I mean that literally...a 6 inch thick roll of the stuff around him any time he's not bowling in a test or key ICC knockout.

Rohit's replacement is already there in the form of Jaiswal, Abhishek. Virat one is a big shoe to fit in. He is someone who can be unmatched. There is nobody who can replace virat TBH. He is an atg and goat.

Jadeja's replacement is also there. Axar is doing good job atm.
You are talking primarily from a Pakistani perspective I guess, and given Kohli's success against Pakistan, I can understand why you think he is irreplaceable.

However facts are different. India has largelt moved beyond Kohli in the last 4.5 years - i.e since 2020. Ill explain how below.

Kohli is redundant in test cricket. He is averaging some 33 in the last 4.5 years (since 2020). Even Axar Patel has a higher batting avg in this period. Not to mention India won a series in Ais without him as well as a recent series vs Eng. India. In fact, in this period, with Kohli in the side India has won 13 and lost 11. But without Kohli, India has won 6 and lost just 2. All these tests without Kohli have been against strong SENA teams mind you. I'd say Kohli is rather a drag on the test team given his struggles and is wasting a spot in the XI. He has got only 2 scores above 80 in this period - one of which was made on a super flat pitch at Ahemdabad in a boring draw and the other vs WI last year.

Now T20Is. You'd be shocked to know that Kohli has missed more T20Is since 2020 than played for India - He missed 51 matches (Ind won 35 and lost 13) and played 50 matches (35 won and lost 11). There is hardly any difference in India's Win Loss ratio with or without him in this period. The importance of Kohli is vastly overstated in T20Is.

In ODIs, Kohli has missed 24 matches of which India won 16 and lost only 6 (Win Loss ratio of 2.67). With Kohli in the team, India has played 50 matches of which they have won 32 and lost 17 (win Loss ratio of 1.8). While I do rate Kohli is still value in ODIs, India has not relied on him to win matches in this period. They have a h8ghee Win Loss ratio without him than with him in fact.

You are talking primarily from a Pakistani perspective I guess, and given Kohli's success against Pakistan, I can understand why you think he is irreplaceable.

However facts are different. India has largelt moved beyond Kohli in the last 4.5 years - i.e since 2020. Ill explain how below.

Kohli is redundant in test cricket. He is averaging some 33 in the last 4.5 years (since 2020). Even Axar Patel has a higher batting avg in this period. Not to mention India won a series in Ais without him as well as a recent series vs Eng. India. In fact, in this period, with Kohli in the side India has won 13 and lost 11. But without Kohli, India has won 6 and lost just 2. All these tests without Kohli have been against strong SENA teams mind you. I'd say Kohli is rather a drag on the test team given his struggles and is wasting a spot in the XI. He has got only 2 scores above 80 in this period - one of which was made on a super flat pitch at Ahemdabad in a boring draw and the other vs WI last year.

Now T20Is. You'd be shocked to know that Kohli has missed more T20Is since 2020 than played for India - He missed 51 matches (Ind won 35 and lost 13) and played 50 matches (35 won and lost 11). There is hardly any difference in India's Win Loss ratio with or without him in this period. The importance of Kohli is vastly overstated in T20Is.

In ODIs, Kohli has missed 24 matches of which India won 16 and lost only 6 (Win Loss ratio of 2.67). With Kohli in the team, India has played 50 matches of which they have won 32 and lost 17 (win Loss ratio of 1.8). While I do rate Kohli is still value in ODIs, India has not relied on him to win matches in this period. They have a h8ghee Win Loss ratio without him than with him in fact.
It is not about winning few games in his absence. It is about the logetivity and impact this guy had. I don't think there is any player who can be of his caliber.

It is not about winning few games in his absence. It is about the logetivity and impact this guy had. I don't think there is any player who can be of his caliber.
Please read my post carefully and respond.

I have demonstrated above why Kohli has not has much of an impact over the last 4.5 years on the team

Of course he was a great servant from 2011 till 2020 no doubt. But the fact that India has not really relied on him to perform in any format in the last 4.5 years AND YET BE A SUPER DOMINANT FORCE in all forms indicate clearly that they have moved past Kohli.

A player of Kohli's caliber and experience can contribute to a team's success in ways beyond just individual performances - through his leadership, mentorship of younger players, and setting high standards. He cannot be easily replaced even if he was absent from games in past 4-5 years.

A player of Kohli's caliber and experience can contribute to a team's success in ways beyond just individual performances - through his leadership, mentorship of younger players, and setting high standards. He cannot be easily replaced even if he was absent from games in past 4-5 years.
I'm old enough to remember people saying this when Gavaskar retired and then again when Sachin retired. Like all proud traditions, India's streak of larger than life batting greats has to end at some but I assure you it's not ending any time soon.

I'm old enough to remember people saying this when Gavaskar retired and then again when Sachin retired. Like all proud traditions, India's streak of larger than life batting greats has to end at some but I assure you it's not ending any time soon.
Yep that is a fact. It is not the end of the world. We will see a guy who will rise and rise and make a name for himself.

Definitely in terms of brand building Kohl took the mantle from Sachin and MSD to the next level. In terms of impact, there have been too many heroes in the last decade or so. India came back to win the Test series in Australia after Kohli left. India won without Kohli against England. Mostly with youngsters. I prefer a strong team rather than strong super stars. They don't have to be part of the ATG XI as long as they win matches, tournaments.

He can do all this as part of the backroom staff if he wishes to.

BCCI has over the last two decades developed a system that is individual agnostic to a good degree. One player goes another comes. There's enough talent in the reserves to step up and that's how it has to be at the highest level.

Definitely in terms of brand building Kohl took the mantle from Sachin and MSD to the next level. In terms of impact, there have been too many heroes in the last decade or so. India came back to win the Test series in Australia after Kohli left. India won without Kohli against England. Mostly with youngsters. I prefer a strong team rather than strong super stars. They don't have to be part of the ATG XI as long as they win matches, tournaments.
Yep.

I think the 2 players that India will find the most difficult to replace would be Pant and Bumrah in test cricket. And they had it indeed tough without these 2 especially outside the subcontinent . Not Kohli, Not anyone else but these 2.

In the shorter forms nobody is irreplaceable. The closest to it would be Bumrah. Other than nobody, absolutely nobody is irreplaceable in Indian cricket.

Ravindra Jadeja, Virat Kohli, and Rohit Sharma are the only Indian cricketers on this elite list among active player

Mzy3hnR.png

Ravindra Jadeja, Virat Kohli, and Rohit Sharma are the only Indian cricketers on this elite list among active player

Mzy3hnR.png
Rohit is only opener in this list and Kohli is only number 3 batsmen .

Rest all are Lower Middle orders batters .

Back