Why is MS Dhoni still playing professional cricket?

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Legitimate question - why is Dhoni still playing? Cant be money so guess it's vanity but he is holding back other talented players in his IPL team as well?

Guess same question for Afridi in PSL also.

==

Former Indian opener Gautam Gambhir has questioned the batting position of Chennai Super Kings captain MS Dhoni. Dhoni, who hasn’t played any professional cricket since the completion of the last IPL, batted at number seven in CSK’s opening game against Delhi Capitals at the Wankhede Stadium.

Dhoni, who is known as the best finisher of the game, was dismissed for a blob when he chopped the ball back on to his stumps against Avesh Khan. Gambhir believes a captain has to lead from the front and Dhoni is not doing that if he is batting down the order at number seven. The former KKR captain feels it will make sense for CSK if Dhoni bats in the middle order and takes the onus on his shoulders.

Gautam Gambhir said while talking to Star Sports show Cricket Live, “MS Dhoni should be batting higher, that’s what matters because ultimately people should start leading from the front. We keep mentioning this thing that a leader needs to lead from the front. You can’t be leading, when you’re batting at No.7. Yes, there are issues in their bowling line up. Plus, he is not the MS Dhoni, which he used to be probably four or five years back, where he could just come in and start taking on the bowlers from the word go. For me, I think he needs to bat at number four/ five. Nothing below that.”

In fact, Dhoni had pushed himself down in the order in the early stages of the previous season of the IPL. When the veteran wicket-keeper batsman was asked about his position in the batting order, he had revealed that he took the decision due to lack of game time as he was playing for the first time since the 2019 World Cup.

As MS Dhoni has called it a day from his International cricket and also doesn’t play in the domestic circuit, thus it is not easy for him to hit the ground running when he is playing in the IPL. It is well said that the best practice is out there in the middle but Dhoni has lacked that in the last two years. However, the CSK captain has all the experience under his belt and he should come good in the coming matches.

CSK will play their second game against Punjab Kings at the Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai today.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...at-number-7-gautam-gambhir-on-ms-dhoni-978248

Last edited:
It's not like International cricket where the love for your country is enough for you to realise that it's time to pave way for the new. It's a low stakes competition with a high pay off. Why wouldn't anyone milk their career for a ton of money. He's done everything there is to do in international cricket. Now he just wants to relax, play a low stakes competition in his own backyard, make easy money and play the game he loves tension free.

Think it really is all about money. You can never have too much of it. And that's pretty much the only reason players try to play T20 leagues for as long as humanly possible.

It's not like International cricket where the love for your country is enough for you to realise that it's time to pave way for the new. It's a low stakes competition with a high pay off. Why wouldn't anyone milk their career for a ton of money. He's done everything there is to do in international cricket. Now he just wants to relax, play a low stakes competition in his own backyard, make easy money and play the game he loves tension free.

I would say that IPL is anything but low-stakes for its organizers.

I would say that IPL is anything but low-stakes for its organizers.

Not for the organizers for sure but for a retired player like Dhoni, who's done everything there is to do in international cricket, has already won IPLs as captain, there is absolutely no reason for him to stick around except for the fun of it and possibly the money. The vanity part doesn't explain why he continues to play. He could just as easily ride off in to the sunset. I think he's just milking what's left off of his reputation.

CSK owners are happy with Dhoni. Obviously the powers that be deem him competitive enough to play IPL.
Ofcourse he is playing for money and fun and both are legitimate reasons.

CSK Franchise want Dhoni irrespective of his performance.
His presence add more value and fan base to franchise.
He can pull more commercials too.

There is nothing wrong playing for money, as far as you are not leaving national duty for leagues.

I didn't say it was wrong. He's retired from internationals and has nothing left to offer the national team. He can play any league he wants for whatever reason.

Dhoni has a good brand value and as long as CSK is associated with the Dhoni brand, he will continue. Doesn't hurt making a few million dollars every year too.

Not for the organizers for sure but for a retired player like Dhoni, who's done everything there is to do in international cricket, has already won IPLs as captain, there is absolutely no reason for him to stick around except for the fun of it and possibly the money. The vanity part doesn't explain why he continues to play. He could just as easily ride off in to the sunset. I think he's just milking what's left off of his reputation.

Afridi plays 100 percent for the money and he hasn't been shy about saying it either

Agree.

Even if Dhoni averages 5 and does that for multiple seasons it will literally have no impact on his cricketing legacy

Think it really is all about money. You can never have too much of it. And that's pretty much the only reason players try to play T20 leagues for as long as humanly possible.

But MS can still get big money as a coach/consultant as soon as he retires

As an employee of India Cements Dhoni will have a fat paycheck for life.

But like I said, you can never have enough of that money.

Because he is not fit to play high quality international cricket but more than good enough to play in a low quality league like IPL where even fans don't care much about their teams? :inti

It is for money. He was so awful last year in IPL that even Danny Morrison had the guts to ask him straightaway the question on the eve of final match that is it the last IPL match we will see of yours.

Preferably, he should have retired in 2017 as he was past his prime by 2015 and a player of his stature can carry on for a couple of years extra no issues. But his retirement ended in a disheartening way as he costed his team the place in finals in WC 2019 final.

Anyways, a legend of the game but had he retired in 2017, he would have retired by earning far more respect. However, in that scenario, his IPL career would have been over by 2019.

Last edited:
Dhoni is disgracing his legacy by not going out with head high. This is a problem with most cricketers , Very few have gone out on high.

CSK Franchise want Dhoni irrespective of his performance.
His presence add more value and fan base to franchise.
He can pull more commercials too.

This. IPL and any other domestic league is about money so dont see why Dhoni should stop playing them.

Dont think its for the money. Probably more of him just finding it hard to stop playing / CSK owners wanting him to carry on.

It is for money. He was so awful last year in IPL that even Danny Morrison had the guts to ask him straightaway the question on the eve of final match that is it the last IPL match we will see of yours.

Preferably, he should have retired in 2017 as he was past his prime by 2015 and a player of his stature can carry on for a couple of years extra no issues. But his retirement ended in a disheartening way as he costed his team the place in finals in WC 2019 final.

Anyways, a legend of the game but had he retired in 2017, he would have retired by earning far more respect. However, in that scenario, his IPL career would have been over by 2019.

He didn't. After top order failed in the semi final, team management showed lot of trust in Karthik, Pant and Pandya by sending them above Dhoni but they all failed and choked under pressure. Not surprisingly the blame was very intelligently shifted to Dhoni by some fans to save their favorites from embarrassment. :yuvi :inti

CSK paying him $ to do lungi dance doesn’t worry me. What hurts is that India carried him for at least 4 extra years in ODIs and 2 years in tests.

I am a CSK fan but I think it’s time to move away from this Dhoni and Fleming axis. It’s been together a while, sometimes in sports you need something fresh.

I think he is still playing because Chennai want him and probably he doesn’t mind the financial aspect which is his prerogative.

He didn't. After top order failed in the semi final, team management showed lot of trust in Karthik, Pant and Pandya by sending them above Dhoni but they all failed and choked under pressure. Not surprisingly the blame was very intelligently shifted to Dhoni by some fans to save their favorites from embarrassment. :yuvi :inti

We were told by Dhoni fans before World Cup that, if suppose in a World Cup knockout game when India are chasing sub-250 totals, they lose a few early wickets. Then who will save us in that knockout game? Obviously, the man with steel of nerves, MS Dhoni.

But at 25-4, he was nowhere to be seen and when he came to bat, the reqd rate was 7.0 and he played a selfish knock of 50 off 70 balls and costed his team the match especially considering the fact that Jadeja brought us back into the game with his brave and spectacular 58 ball 79 knock.

I have explained my arguments several points and I will stick to it. You can have your own versions and I have no issues with that. Cheers!

Last edited:
We were told by Dhoni fans before World Cup that, if suppose in a World Cup knockout game when India are chasing sub-250 totals, they lose a few early wickets. Then who will save us in that knockout game? Obviously, the man with steel of nerves, MS Dhoni.

But at 25-4, he was nowhere to be seen and when he came to bat, the reqd rate was 7.0 and he played a selfish knock of 50 off 70 balls and costed his team the match especially considering the fact that Jadeja brought us back into the game with his brave and spectacular 58 ball 79 knock.

I have explained my arguments several <B>points</B> and I will stick to it. You can have your own versions and I have no issues with that. Cheers!

times*

Karthik and Pant weren't even in the XI two games back.Suddenly they batted ahead to protect Dhoni from swing conditions.Dhoni had tasted success at 4 and should have come out

It was pretty poor innings from no. 7 too.He was leaving deliveries with 10 RPO required,putting all pressure of scoring on Jadeja

I seriously doubt he will ever take up a coaching job. The only way I see him involved in cricket is as a part owner of a team with a mentor type role.

As an employee of India Cements Dhoni will have a fat paycheck for life.

But like I said, you can never have enough of that money.

He may quit at end of this season. With the mega auction coming in 2022 CSK will look to clean house and change their "senior citizen" team to a contending team.

He has played 200 games for CSK in the IPL and made north of $20 million through his IPL playing contract alone. But he is the best person to decide when to quit.

I have explained my arguments several points and I will stick to it. You can have your own versions and I have no issues with that. Cheers!

Karthik and Pant weren't even in the XI two games back.Suddenly they batted ahead to protect Dhoni from swing conditions.Dhoni had tasted success at 4 and should have come out

It was pretty poor innings from no. 7 too.He was leaving deliveries with 10 RPO required,putting all pressure of scoring on Jadeja

Are you two trying to suggest that it was Dhoni's decision to send Pant, Karthik and Pandya ahead of himself and not team management's?

After the match, questions were raised over why was MSD not sent before when India kept loosing easy wickets. A lot of fingers were raised against India's batting coach Sanjay Bangar with few reports suggesting that it was his decision to hold-back Dhoni till the very end of the innings.

"Absolutely not (on whether India should have promoted Dhoni). Because at 5 for 3, had Dhoni gone, the game was over. But with Dhoni in the 48th over, with his computer out. Oh you were very much in the game but for that run-out," Shastri said during an interview with India Today.

https://www.dnaindia.com/cricket/re...ld-cup-semi-final-loss-to-new-zealand-2805510

You can put the blame on Dhoni may be 10-12% out of 100% but the real blame goes to top 6 batsman. And you guys are acting like you knew Jadeja will play an inning or capable of playing an inning like that lol. Nobody expected that from him although he does play innings like these days. It was a blunder by TM for not sending Dhoni above Pant and Pandya. He was finished as a finisher at that time. :inti

Are you two trying to suggest that it was Dhoni's decision to send Pant, Karthik and Pandya ahead of himself and not team management's?

After the match, questions were raised over why was MSD not sent before when India kept loosing easy wickets. A lot of fingers were raised against India's batting coach Sanjay Bangar with few reports suggesting that it was his decision to hold-back Dhoni till the very end of the innings.

"Absolutely not (on whether India should have promoted Dhoni). Because at 5 for 3, had Dhoni gone, the game was over. But with Dhoni in the 48th over, with his computer out. Oh you were very much in the game but for that run-out," Shastri said during an interview with India Today.

https://www.dnaindia.com/cricket/re...ld-cup-semi-final-loss-to-new-zealand-2805510

You can put the blame on Dhoni may be 10-12% out of 100% but the real blame goes to top 6 batsman. And you guys are acting like you knew Jadeja will play an inning or capable of playing an inning like that lol. Nobody expected that from him although he does play innings like these days. It was a blunder by TM for not sending Dhoni above Pant and Pandya. He was finished as a finisher at that time. :inti

Dhoni used to make bowling changes and set fields with Kohli as captain,pretty sure he'd have decided his own batting position

The innings needed rebuilding at 5-3,and the guy most experienced to do it was Dhoni.Karthik,Pant and Pandya were mostly used for big hits since then

Ofcourse majority of blame on top order and also Kohli for faulty team selection

For the same reason he didn't retire from international cricket, the man doesn't know how to let go

He adds to their brand and that alone is worth it.

The same applies to Afridi.

These are massive names in the world of cricket and they bring in a boatload of casual fans all on their own. Even if they don't perform, the overall impact is a net positive from a financial perspective.

All of us work for money So does Dhoni.
Right question to ask is why does CSK owners like Dhoni if the fans don't like him anymore?

it's Dhoni... the name says it

has he retired from international cricket? i thought he retired from only tests but last few years he hasn't appeared on the scorecards

it's Dhoni... the name says it

has he retired from international cricket? i thought he retired from only tests but last few years he hasn't appeared on the scorecards

Yes retired last year from all international cricket

He is just a glorified captain these days, continuing to play is perhaps detracting from his overall legacy in the game.

For Marketing reasons and the Money.

In all formats, he has never known when to retire.

He is just a glorified captain these days, continuing to play is perhaps detracting from his overall legacy in the game.

If there's somebody that doesn't care about legacy, it's him. Infact he doesn't care about anything. Perhaps it's his last year in IPL. Don't think Chennai should pick him if he doesn't perform irrespective of brand value.

If there's somebody that doesn't care about legacy, it's him. Infact he doesn't care about anything. Perhaps it's his last year in IPL. Don't think Chennai should pick him if he doesn't perform irrespective of brand value.

Money &#55357;&#56496; trumps everything. Sachin dragged his career for 2 years for his 100th century. Kapil also dragged too long for 434 wickets. At least, Dhoni is dragging IPL career not for record but for money. Ideally he should have retired from International cricket after CT17. His peak was over by then.

Money end of the day the window to be a top level athlete is 15-20 years. Dhoni is just maxing that out coz hes a legend and icon of the game.

Also Dhoni is box office draw and star still one of the biggest in India n CSKs biggest star still.

So its a win for him n the franchise.

Same reason why Afridi is still playing.

Also proves that the IPL isn't about having the best players or winning the trophy.

It's always been about having the most recognizable faces - however much of a busted flush they may be - so you can slap sponsor logos on them.

Out for 18 - another low score. Really needs to make up his mind now.

Legendary cricketer and Chennai Super Kings (CSK) skipper MS Dhoni added another feather in his illustrious cap by achieving another captaincy milestone on Monday. Regarded as one of the greatest leaders in the modern era of the gentlemen's game, Dhoni scripted IPL history by recording his 200th appearance as the leader of the three-time champions in domestic cricket's biggest extravaganza

This guy is a proper tailender for a good part of 5 years now.

Money &#55357;&#56496; trumps everything. Sachin dragged his career for 2 years for his 100th century. Kapil also dragged too long for 434 wickets. At least, Dhoni is dragging IPL career not for record but for money. Ideally he should have retired from International cricket after CT17. His peak was over by then.
Don't insult Tendulkar by equating him with grandpa. He didn't lose us as many games in his last 2 years as grandpa did from WC '15 to WC '19.

Kapil too was at least economical in ODIs in his last few years as international cricketer while grandpa did nothing good for us in his last 4 years. He not only harmed us by his tailender level batting, he also blocked path of a deserving youngster as our WK.

I think we should have bade goodbye to Dhoni the day he quit our test team midway during a test series in Australia. However BCCI didn't have guts at that time (it still doesn't have!) to sack him with Srini at helm of BCCI'S affairs.

Just looked at the scorecard after reading this thread. His batting is going downhill as expected. With him being involved in India Cements which I think is related to CSK, I don't think the owners would tell him to stop playing. He is a strong character and I don't think he is going to let anyone else make the decision for him.

As per his presence in the team, he still adds value as a captain and for brand value for being one of the biggest names in Indian Cricket.
As for his batting, at no7, his batting isn't the shape to keep the momentum going and score at 160-200SR for last 4-5 overs. He isn't really able to get going from the start now. So no.6 and 7 is not the position for him now. And in no way should Sam Curran and (arguably) Bravo be batting behind him now. But I guess MS batting at no.8 or 9 would hurt his ego. The only way he could theoretically contribute with the bat would be for him to bat at no.3 as he needs time now to get settled. But that would be wrong for Raina and Moeen who are clearly in better touch than MS.

He was dropping the likes of sehwag bhajji yuvraj etc when he thought they were past it but when it comes to himself hes quite shamelessly dragging his career out no matter how much its costing his teams

About time somone from chennai forced him out This is why too much power in one persons hand is never sensible because it corrupts

Will you retire if you are making 2 to 5 million USD a year and wont make much for the rest of your life?

True. I don't blame him, i blame CSK franchise. This is why i don't rate IPL performances. It pisses me off when people rate cricketers on IPL performances. A friend of mine was involved with RCB management team. He told me they bought Yuvraj only for commercial reasons. He was horribly out of form. They don't care if a star performer doesn't deliver. He was popular with brands that time and added to the brand value of RCB. Similarly, many fans watch CSK only to see Dhoni. They will keep him till they get replacement like MI got Rohit for Sachin.

Don't insult Tendulkar by equating him with grandpa. He didn't lose us as many games in his last 2 years as grandpa did from WC '15 to WC '19.

Kapil too was at least economical in ODIs in his last few years as international cricketer while grandpa did nothing good for us in his last 4 years. He not only harmed us by his tailender level batting, he also blocked path of a deserving youngster as our WK.

Sachin did cost us quite a few test series and also Asia cup. His 100th century resulted in India exiting from Asia cup. But i can take that because Sachin is the greatest batsman since Bradman. He made Indian cricket the cash cow for BCCI. Though i agree, it doesn't equate to grandpa Dhoni. He is a marketing genius. With test averages of hardly 20 in SENA countries, he did milked the most of the cricketing ability he was born with. He is more of a politician rather than a leader.

Performances are something that's not guaranteed. I wasn't guaranteeing performances when I was 24, I can't guarantee when I am 40, but at least if people can't point finger at me that he's unfit then that will be a big positive for me.

- Dhoni after yesterday match against RR.

:O:O

He's playing because a lot of Indians are emotional foo.. and broadcasters are masters at creating human properties. You should have listened to the commentary of Harsha Bhogle while Dhoni was batting, he was creating an impression that Dhoni is some match winner by constantly saying - he gets one hit and he will be away.. these people are masters at creating an artificial persona, by keep pumping on players image ball after ball and sprinkling it with emotions ("oh dhoni and csk are inseperable" blah blah)..

The other day, broadcasters didn't have anything to show on Kohli's batting in their game against KKR. So what did they do, they created a small video with background music of Kohli's emotions whole ABD was batting, just showing Kohli's face expressions and nothing else. And then commentators started praising Kohli for it.

He's playing because a lot of Indians are emotional foo.. and broadcasters are masters at creating human properties. You should have listened to the commentary of Harsha Bhogle while Dhoni was batting, he was creating an impression that Dhoni is some match winner by constantly saying - he gets one hit and he will be away.. these people are masters at creating an artificial persona, by keep pumping on players image ball after ball and sprinkling it with emotions ("oh dhoni and csk are inseperable" blah blah)..

The other day, broadcasters didn't have anything to show on Kohli's batting in their game against KKR. So what did they do, they created a small video with background music of Kohli's emotions whole ABD was batting, just showing Kohli's face expressions and nothing else. And then commentators started praising Kohli for it.

Ahaha!

So glad I don't tune into this non event.

MS Dhoni's Heartwarming Gesture Towards CSK Support Staff After IPL 2021 Game Wins Hearts, Image Goes Viral

Dhoni being the large-hearted person responded to it with a salute.

MS Dhoni is just not a cricketer, he is an ambassador of the sport and the CSK skipper gave fans a glimpse of it on Monday after Chennai beat Rajasthan Royals by 45 runs in Wankhede Stadium. After the match, a CSK support staff member saluted Dhoni while he was walking back into the dressing room. Dhoni being the large-hearted person responded to it with a salute.

The picture has surfaced on social space and has immediately gone viral:
MicrosoftTeams-image-16.jpg

Not just in Ranchi, or his adopted home – Chennai – Dhoni is popular all across India and is a global star. The former India captain received much adulation wherever he plays. Dhoni – who retired from international cricket last year – has not played much cricket and his form has been a concern for CSK.

Dhoni would like to bounce back with some good performances in the upcoming matches.

With the win, CSK zoomed to the second spot in the points table. They are just behind table-toppers Royal Challengers Bangalore – who are the only team who have not been beaten thus far.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/ms-dhonis-heartwarming-gesture-towards-csk-support-staff-after-ipl-2021-game-wins-hearts-image-goes-viral-978854

MS Dhoni Makes BIG Admission, Says 'The First Six Balls I Played Could Cost Us Another Match' After Chennai Beat Rajasthan in IPL 2021

After the match, Dhoni - who scored 18 off 17 balls - conceded that the first six balls that he faced could have cost CSK the match.

MS Dhoni – who struggled with the bat again – was brutally honest at the post-match presentation on Monday after Chennai Super Kings beat Rajasthan Royals to secure their second win on the trot. After the match, Dhoni – who scored 18 off 17 balls – conceded that the first six balls that he faced could have cost CSK the match.

“Glad we scored 180, I thought we could have got a few more. This was one of the games where the first six balls I played could have cost us in another game. We have to be mindful of that and score as much as possible,” he said at the post-match presentation.

After the important win for CSK, Dhoni was asked what has changed for CSK over the years. Admitting that a lot has changed over the years, Dhoni reckoned that the atmosphere is very good and the bowlers are enjoying bowling this year after being under the pump in UAE last season.

“A lot has changed over the years, the way he have prepared and turned up. Right from the start we kept a very good atmosphere. A lot of the bowlers have been under the pump last year but this time they are enjoying bowling on these wickets where there is assistance.”

Dhoni – who retired from international cricket last year – has not played a lot and the rustiness shows. At 40, Dhoni is still fit compared to other younger cricketers, but his hitting form has taken a dip. The CSK skipper, unlike in the past, struggles to hit the ball from the middle of the bat as he would have in his prime.

With the win, CSK zoom to the second spot in the points table with two wins in three games.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/ms-dhoni-makes-big-admission-says-the-first-six-balls-i-played-could-cost-us-another-match-after-chennai-beat-rajasthan-in-ipl-2021-978811

Yes the whole thing is shameless back slapping spectacle

The commies are on there praising dhoni to the stars every game, the great man yada yada yada whilst he mistimes n miscues another half volley straight to the fielder n limps his way to a painful 18

Shameless sellouts

Last edited:
Performances are something that's not guaranteed. I wasn't guaranteeing performances when I was 24, I can't guarantee when I am 40, but at least if people can't point finger at me that he's unfit then that will be a big positive for me.

- Dhoni after yesterday match against RR.

:O:O
Dhoni has been fooling everyone for last 5 years at least. Shows how many games we (India, don't care about CSK!) lost due to this pretender pretending to know what he was doing on a cricket field.

So now he sees positives in a professional cricketer being fit for a game of cricket. Wow, just wow!

MS Dhoni's Heartwarming Gesture Towards CSK Support Staff After IPL 2021 Game Wins Hearts, Image Goes Viral

Dhoni being the large-hearted person responded to it with a salute.

MS Dhoni is just not a cricketer, he is an ambassador of the sport and the CSK skipper gave fans a glimpse of it on Monday after Chennai beat Rajasthan Royals by 45 runs in Wankhede Stadium. After the match, a CSK support staff member saluted Dhoni while he was walking back into the dressing room. Dhoni being the large-hearted person responded to it with a salute.

The picture has surfaced on social space and has immediately gone viral:
View attachment 108728

Not just in Ranchi, or his adopted home – Chennai – Dhoni is popular all across India and is a global star. The former India captain received much adulation wherever he plays. Dhoni – who retired from international cricket last year – has not played much cricket and his form has been a concern for CSK.

Dhoni would like to bounce back with some good performances in the upcoming matches.

With the win, CSK zoomed to the second spot in the points table. They are just behind table-toppers Royal Challengers Bangalore – who are the only team who have not been beaten thus far.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/ms-dhonis-heartwarming-gesture-towards-csk-support-staff-after-ipl-2021-game-wins-hearts-image-goes-viral-978854
So this is a news too! Dhoni hype factory working overtime!

Oh, his PR factory is like a certain politician's.

Pity that in sport all these fluff pieces don't matter and his score remains 18 (23) and it doesn't magically transform that to 58 (30).

Exactly What do performances matter Dhoni has been put on such a national pedestal and such a huge persona is being created by him or his well wishers that hes above these measures of runs dismissals and wins

He can literally do no wrong Its crazy

Last edited:
Exactly What do performances matter Dhoni has been put on such a national pedestal and such a huge persona is being created by him or his well wishers that hes above these measures of runs dismissals and wins

I once heard that Ganguly was the best captain India had while Dhoni is the captain of best Indian team.

Oh, his PR factory is like a certain politician's.

Pity that in sport all these fluff pieces don't matter and his score remains 18 (23) and it doesn't magically transform that to 58 (30).
I know!

That's why I always think, not cricket but politics will be his next refuge once he is forced to go from CSK too.

As an Indian fan, it makes me really sad that how much this man took Indian cricket for a ride despite doing nothing for so many years! Even his regular WKing efforts generated so much hype in media by his spin doctors!

Cringe, pure cringe! I mean, how could people fall for such unmitigated cringe!

MSD should retire from all forms of cricket by this year. There is no point playing further as you are no longer good enough and just because of the brand value you bring to your IPL franchise team.

He achieved pretty much everything by 2013 in limited overs cricket and his decline also started post 2014. He had few ups in between but he was no longer the player or the finisher we had known him between 2008-14.

I think fans should acknowledge the greatness of MSD too and move on. There is no point keeping the hate or frustration on a player that has retired from international cricket now. MSD should also take this call, probably this year because next year in the mega auction, I don't see CSK retaining MSD at all and even if they do, it will be pretty silly of them.

MSD should retire from all forms of cricket by this year. There is no point playing further as you are no longer good enough and just because of the brand value you bring to your IPL franchise team.

He achieved pretty much everything by 2013 in limited overs cricket and his decline also started post 2014. He had few ups in between but he was no longer the player or the finisher we had known him between 2008-14.

I think fans should acknowledge the greatness of MSD too and move on. There is no point keeping the hate or frustration on a player that has retired from international cricket now. MSD should also take this call, probably this year because next year in the mega auction, I don't see CSK retaining MSD at all and even if they do, it will be pretty silly of them.

Sensible post. I don't think Chennai will pick him in the next auction. He knows this and will retire. Just as he retired knowing he won't be part of WC T20. MSD is a bonafide legend of the ICT and Chennai franchise. He earned the respect and has achieved everything for both teams. People blame him for the WC SF loss when the top 3 buckled like pins. He and his guidance was the reason why India even came close. Time to wrap up champ and thanks for the great memories.

Well you know what they say

You either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain

In life you are given choices and those choices define you Dhoni has chosen to play on and go after the money putting his poor actions before the team results

He may have been a hero for 2011 but his actions since the last 3-5 years then deserve all the criticism hes getting

Back