WI vs SA 4th Test Preview and Match Discussions [27/04/05]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamBiTT

Tape Ball Star
Runs
I am in the thinking of writing a small application that I want to use to analyze matchup between international team based on player ratings. The ratings that I have chosen to first try this are the ICC Player Ratings. Write now, I am just trying to simulate and plan the stats that I may use. Following are the Ratings of both the SA and WI squads from which the playing XI would be chosen for the 4th test. Also, there is team comparison below which compares the batting and bowling strength of the teams using various characteristics.

WIvsSA4thTest042905.GIF

- Notice that even though WI matches SA quite well in the batting department, primarily because of Lara's heavy influence on the batting average, there is NO comparison in the bowling. WI bowling is full of absolute novices with little experience and performance to speak of; hence, WI have been thrashed quite harshly in this test series yet. I expect this trend to continue, especially with Pollock's return to the team.

* Please give your feedback on what other stats based upon ratings would be of note when comparing the two teams.

Interesting. These are the best ratings available so you chose the right one. Would be interesting to see how Pakistan compared with India before the 1/1 series (not well I would imagine).

I would recommend using the top 6 batsmen rather than 5 since imo the 6th is as important as the 5th.

Windies v South Africa 4th test @ Antigua

Starts tomorrow live on Sky Sports. Polly set to return for SA in place of the injured Nel. Windies will look to salvage some pride like last year against England on the easiest batting track in the world.
I still reckon the proteas will win. Polly will rip em apart like Nel. He is too good for them.

lara will score 500 and match will be drawn

Not this time. Chanderpaul and Gyle will make hundreds, while Lara may score near 300; 500 is far fetched idea.

Gayle hasnt even got a half century yet in this series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :((

4th test has started on a typical antigua pitch. no grass, lovely bounce and quick outfield.

S.A 21/0 off just 3 overs

Tino best bowling joke ball after joke ball

w.i 44/0

west indies attack is seriously poor...

pakistan batsmen shud be queuing up to bat when they tour!

de villiers looking very good in the middle anything slightly loose has been dispatched to boundary!

S.A 58/0

Tino hasnt played international cricket for a long time and is bound to be rusty.

SA Off to a Flyer...

SA 62 for no loss in merely 13 overs...

Is this test match cricket?

Shouldnt this have gone in the WI-Sa thread thats already been created. Im sure there wasnt the need to create a whole new thread just for this!

Sorry Sir: I wanted to discuss modern day test cricket with this example. Sorry to have chosen a wrong heading.

S.A 106/0 off just 22 overs....

looks like a massacre already!

With the likes of Kallis and Gibbs waiting .... SA may post 600 easily ...

am sure kallis will make his usual 400 ball 100.

RH said:
Amjid Javed said:
am sure kallis will make his usual 400 ball 100.
If he doesm't i'll be suprised

he's strike rate in this series nothing shor of phathetic just under 35

he is strike wil never improve even when south africa will give him good start

rain stop play again

got a feeling this will be case for most of pakistan tour, i remember micheal holding saying last year when england were there how pakistan will play any cricket.

hope it dont rain though

ps. them dancing gyals are better than the cricket!!!

The tst will probably be a draw. The Windies won't crumble on this pitch.

Can someone pls explain the purpose of these black stripes under some WI players eyes !! are they little advertising boards or are they to stop sweat reflecting off their skins - dont American footballers have the same things ?

MenInGreen said:
Can someone pls explain the purpose of these black stripes under some WI players eyes !! are they little advertising boards or are they to stop sweat reflecting off their skins - dont American footballers have the same things ?
They where them to stop any glare from sun/floodlights. Heard Chanderpaul say he uses them for this in an interview. They are the same ones as american footballers use MIG.

RH said:
MenInGreen said:
They where them to stop any glare from sun/floodlights. Heard Chanderpaul say he uses them for this in an interview. They are the same ones as american footballers use MIG.

Well they look wierd !

This is not relevant but how much does a one-day or test ticket cost in the UK. How much would it be for the Ashes?

Marooned said:
This is not relevant but how much does a one-day or test ticket cost in the UK. How much would it be for the Ashes?
How is this not relevent?

S.A 588/6

W.I 204/1

GAYLE 150 off 151 balls....

ian bishop says he cud maybe just go on and break laras record...

Windies vs S.Africa - Day 3

Windies 230 for 1 and Gayle on 160 batting around a run a ball.

Yesterday we saw Kallis scoring a typical Kallis boring and dull innings. Today we are seeing an exciting Gayle playing an exciting innings

Go Windies.

a bit early to say that just yet he isn't even half way there.

sarwan smashed g smiths gentle off-spin for 2 sixes in a row...

pitch is beautiful for batting!

after gayle got to his 150...the next 30 took him 100+ balls! So far Sarwan is the slowest.

Kallis strike rate on this occasion was around the 50-55% respectable for test cricket!

Wickets throughout the world are becoming slower and slower. Maybe its time the ICC changed the pitch distance from 22 yards to 20 yards

What a farce of a pitch. In 240 overs, only 7 wickets have been taken and one was a runout. Who'd want to be a bowler - Zondeki would certainly have some regrets

As I wrote earlier in this thread, Gyle and Chanderpaul will score heavily. However before Chanderpaul could have arrived at the crease, Sarwan has already hammerd the necessary runs. Windies have peaked at a wrong time on the eve of Pakistani arrival.

i hope gayle bats all of day 3 in this test match.. will be gr8 2 watch.

I simply love it when a flat pitch is prepared and batsmen make runs by the ton. I love it even more when we then realise how brilliant all these batsmen are, and how poor the bowlers. I also simply love the way these statistics are then recorded for posterity.

Twenty test matches at Antigua have produced 50 test centuries proving the high quality of batsmanship. Another ten and soon we could have a ton of tons - howzatt!

I also love how spinners sometimes run through sides on especially crafter spinning tracks, and how we marvel at their skill. I recall how Iqbal Qasim won us the 1979-80 Karachi test against Australia, and the 1986-87 test against India. It was magic.

This is cricket at its best.

I think if Gayle doesn't play any silly shots he could get 300

latest --> West Indies 316/1

gayle 192* sarwan 111*

polllock has bowled something like 23 overs and has still not got a wicket, imagine whats gonna happen to rao, rana and co if the windies batsmen get going

94.1 Zondeki to Sarwan, OUT: outside off, on the drive, in the air,
Prince at cover dives forward, umpires consult, agree it was a
clean catch

sarwan gone....

birthday boy lara in now...

last score on this ground in a test 400*

Yeah but it may also have a Gayle Triple Century writted all over it :)

102.2 Zondeki to Lara, OUT: outside off, gets across and pushes at it, gets the edge off the neck of the bat and gone, Zondeki celebrates

West Indies 363/3

birthday boy gone for 4

Gayle has a realistic chance of breaking Lara's record

Go Gayle

West Indies 406/3

gayle 246* chanderpaul 13*

another 155 to go for gayle

West Indies 429/3

gayle 262....

the wind is still gusty....

highest score by west indians in test matches....

400* BC Lara v England at St John's, 4th Test, 2003/04 [1696]
375 BC Lara v England at St John's, 5th Test, 1993/94 [1259]
365* GS Sobers v Pakistan at Kingston, 3rd Test, 1957/58 [450]
302 LG Rowe v England at Bridgetown, 3rd Test, 1973/74 [734]
291 IVA Richards v England at The Oval, 5th Test, 1976 [781]
277 BC Lara v Australia at Sydney, 3rd Test, 1992/93 [1208]

gayle on 277 now.... 6th on list now!

lara has 3 scores on that list! :O :O

you see how St John's is the best batting pitch in the Windies

Gayle on 295.

Five more runs for the magical 300

Go Gayle

Gayle making heavy weather trying to get to his 300

On this pitch you either need a great spinner - like Murali or Warne or a great fast reverse swinger like Wasim, Waqar or Imran (and at his best Shoaib).

Ian Bishop was asked during this Test what was the flattest pitch he bowled on, and he picked the Karachi track of 1990. Well Pakistan won that Test because they had Wasim and Waqar - the greatest fast bowling combination on flat pitches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back