Will Erling Haaland be a success at Manchester City?

Will Erling Haaland be a success at Manchester City?

• He will flop

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Haaland is physically perfect. He is probably the quickest & most athletic player ever for his height & weight. Freak of nature. He is impossible to defend against.

If he stays injury-free & doesn’t get tempted by a Madrid move, he is going to break every single goal record in England.

He has a very strong chance of becoming the best ever number 9 from an individual perspective.

A shame he plays for Norway though. He would have broken numerous World Cup goal records too if he played for a bigger nation. He is born to score goals.

20 goals and it isn't even January is just absurd

He's going to obliterate Salah's record

One of the greatest posts in PP history.

lol. The irony of you bringing up others predictions.

Its not even in the top 20, you occupy the top 19.

Do you think Arsenal will win the league without Jesus?

20 goals and it isn't even January is just absurd

He's going to obliterate Salah's record

100% he will.

Haaland however has not really found the same form V Liverpool. VVD coped with him easily on a couple of occasions. To counter such a player , you must be as tall and strong. There arent too many defenders out there with the physical attriubtes.

Haaland is most certainly playing below expectations, he was predicted to have 40 goals by end of 2022 in the poor EPL, according to [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]. Right up there with Mamoon's - Messi will score 25+ in the Farmer's league 1st season - prediction.

Haaland is most certainly playing below expectations, he was predicted to have 40 goals by end of 2022 in the poor EPL, according to [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]. Right up there with Mamoon's - Messi will score 25+ in the Farmer's league 1st season - prediction.

He said Ronaldo would score 35+ PL goals :)))

I dont think you predicted a number and yet could be right, a long way to go. But he is on fire atm.

I dont think you predicted a number and yet could be right, a long way to go. But he is on fire atm.

Mamoon also said predicted Arteta will be the next Pep, this was last decade. Still waiting.

Haaland is on fire at the moment, bad sadly, according to Mamoon, he will never be a GOAT/ATG as Norway will never win the World Cup. :)))

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"> <br><br>◉ Erling Haaland (14 games)<br>◎ Kevin Phillips (21 games)<br>◎ Fernando Torres (27 games)<br>◎ Alan Shearer (29 games) <br>◎ Sergio Agüero (30 games)<br><br>Erling Haaland becomes the fastest player to reach 20 Premier League goals in history. <a href="https://t.co/IkgcusK6nY">pic.twitter.com/IkgcusK6nY</a></p>— Football Daily (@footballdaily) <a href="https://twitter.com/footballdaily/status/1608215652539551744?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 28, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I know you are finding new & creative ways to cover up your embarrassment of predicting that Haaland would be below expectations, but can you please quote the post where I mentioned that Haaland would have 40 PL goals by end of 2022?

Oh you can’t because I never said it. Making up stuff is your forte once you get crushed in an argument.

lol. The irony of you bringing up others predictions.

Its not even in the top 20, you occupy the top 19.

Do you think Arsenal will win the league without Jesus?

Mamoon also said predicted Arteta will be the next Pep, this was last decade. Still waiting.

Haaland is on fire at the moment, bad sadly, according to Mamoon, he will never be a GOAT/ATG as Norway will never win the World Cup. :)))

Two posters who know nothing about football & are still bruised from the footballing lesson Messi taught them at the World Cup are partnering in their misery, you love to see it :)))

First Messi taught you football, now Arteta is doing the same. This season has been a nightmare for both of you.
[MENTION=149166]Technics 1210[/MENTION] putting words in people’s mouths is your speciality but I never said Haaland needs to win the World Cup to be an ATG striker. He is well on his way. He is physically the most perfect number 9 ever.

My point was (& you know what my point was) that it is a shame that Haaland doesn’t play for a big country because a striker like him would have broken so many goal records at World Cups.

Imagine if Mbappe played for Norway. It would have been a shame given what he has done at the world stage. It would also have been a shame if Messi played for Norway, the greatest of all time.

However, if Ronaldo would have played for Norway we wouldn’t have missed him given that he did nothing for Portugal at World Cups in 5 attempts.

Absolutely brilliant striker — ghosts past defenders with incredible acceleration — and a lethal finisher.

This guy is like the Terminator.

Interesting sub plot, he is a pro so he was there to win the match (and did the job for his team) but he was born in Leeds and is a Leeds United fan, which is why he didn’t particularly celebrate the goals.

Two posters.....

Who said anything about you saying Halaand needs to win a WC to be considered a GOAT? Your yardstick of GOAT material is a WC medal, so by your standards, Halaand will never be a GOAT.

Still, Halaand will score 40 goals by end of 2022? Another one of your predictions that has failed materialise, well below your expectations!

Keep those tears coming, its year 4, still no sign of Pep's reincarnation at Arsenal. :)))

Haaland is a beast. It would have been surreal if he decided to play for England, it would have been a good choice if World Cup football was an ambition, it will be harder to qualify with Norway

Haaland is a beast. It would have been surreal if he decided to play for England, it would have been a good choice if World Cup football was an ambition, it will be harder to qualify with Norway

Thank you, but no thank you,

He is our jewel, so stay away from him. Just stick to stealing cricket players from other countries :)

He would have not reached these heights if he was English.

Cheap alcohol, sasta nasha and crazy expectations in his early years would have worn him down.

He would have not reached these heights if he was English.

Cheap alcohol, sasta nasha and crazy expectations in his early years would have worn him down.

Not entirely true. If you have the work ethic you will block the outside noise. Look at Harry Kane for example, a model professional & one of the most toughest players we have seen in a long time.

Sure he bottled the penalty, but he is fully capable of recovering from that & he is already over it.

Haaland could have won England a World Cup but I am glad like Messi, he decided to play for his homeland & not the country where he was born or spent most of his life.

Guys this is the Haaland thread, not for Messi / Maradona posts for whom we created a separate thread. Thanks

He's frighteningly good. Wasted at Man City though, everyone is kind of fed up of Pep and his giant chequebook.

I wonder if Alvarez will be looking for a way out in a year or so. He is one of the best young strikers in the world & will start for most teams, but he will never be a regular at City because of this cyborg.

You have to be quite dumb to move to City at a young age few months after they announced the signing of Haaland. It is good to challenge yourself but this was a really dumb own goal.

I wonder if Alvarez will be looking for a way out in a year or so. He is one of the best young strikers in the world & will start for most teams, but he will never be a regular at City because of this cyborg.

You have to be quite dumb to move to City at a young age few months after they announced the signing of Haaland. It is good to challenge yourself but this was a really dumb own goal.

His signing was before Haalands I think. He was signed around this time last year but stayed at previous club for an extra six months

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Premier League goals in 2022-23:<br><br>Wolves: 10<br>Forest: 11<br>Everton: 12<br>West Ham: 13<br>Southampton: 14<br>Palace: 15<br>Villa: 17<br>Bournemouth: 18<br>Chelsea: 19<br>&#55349;&#56792;&#55349;&#56831;&#55349;&#56825;&#55349;&#56822;&#55349;&#56827;&#55349;&#56820; &#55349;&#56795;&#55349;&#56814;&#55349;&#56814;&#55349;&#56825;&#55349;&#56814;&#55349;&#56827;&#55349;&#56817;: &#55349;&#57326;&#55349;&#57324;<br><br>&#55357;&#56847; <a href="https://t.co/MaIMXnZqwz">pic.twitter.com/MaIMXnZqwz</a></p>— B/R Football (@brfootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1608458440082599939?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 29, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Premier League goals in 2022-23:<br><br>Wolves: 10<br>Forest: 11<br>Everton: 12<br>West Ham: 13<br>Southampton: 14<br>Palace: 15<br>Villa: 17<br>Bournemouth: 18<br>Chelsea: 19<br>������������ ��������������: ����<br><br>�� <a href="https://t.co/MaIMXnZqwz">pic.twitter.com/MaIMXnZqwz</a></p>— B/R Football (@brfootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1608458440082599939?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 29, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Goal scoring machine.

Erling Haaland vows Manchester City will “hunt” Arsenal down in the title race after becoming the fastest player to score 20 Premier League goals.

Haaland scored twice against his beloved Leeds to reach the milestone in just 14 games and is well on course to smash the record of 34 Premier League goals in a season held by Alan Shearer and Andy Cole. His double helped City reduce Arsenal ’s lead to five points at the top of the table and he says they have Mikel Arteta’s side in their sights.

“We have to hunt Arsenal,” said the Blues hitman. “Now we have to show who’s the best team in the league. I have a target, but I cannot say it. I just said in the dressing room that I could have scored five, but the most important thing is that we won.”

Arsenal came from behind to see off West Ham on Boxing Day, which opened up an eight point lead, albeit briefly. The Gunners have only dropped points in two of their 15 games such has been their relentless start, giving City little margin for error.

Haaland, signed from Borussia Dortmund in the summer, has been relentless since his arrival, smashing Premier League records and scoring three hat-tricks along the way, including one in the Manchester derby, but has had a lengthy rest after Norway failed to make it to the World Cup.

Haaland has 26 goals in all competitions and he says watching the World Cup motivated him to be even better. “I’ve been at home, a bit mad that I’ve not been at the World Cup,” he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foo...sedgntp&cvid=37ec06ac3aba4f69998dd76cd91c14ea

Erling Haaland: Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola takes blame for striker's scoring blip

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has taken the blame for Erling Haaland's recent mini-goalscoring drought.

Haaland has hit an incredible 27 goals in all competitions since joining from Borussia Dortmund in the summer.

But he has failed to score in his last three outings and Guardiola says the supply to the striker needs to improve.

"We have our game, we have our principles but the way we played in last two games didn't help Erling to score," Guardiola said.

"In the build-up you can be wider, but in the final third you have to have players in the middle. If Erling is not there we are not going to score goals.

"In the past we have always had incredible movements in the final third, in the small spaces. Now, in the last two games, we haven't had it. I would say it was my fault. I didn't make them understand the way we have to attack.

"We need runners, not just Erling. If we had just Erling he would be controlled by two or three central defenders. We need more players in those positions, definitely. We have done it. We have to do it more often."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64326378

Haaland = Goal Machine = Hattrick! vs Wolves

Haaland driving City on

When Guardiola came out with his extraordinary rant after the win over Tottenham, he spoke about the difficulty of maintaining drive and determination when you are so used to winning.

That is why Haaland is so important to this team.

The Norwegian's last league title was three years ago in Austria. His last trophy was the German Cup with Borussia Dortmund.

If the idea of a fifth championship in six seasons fails to motivate some City players, Haaland is not among them, and his thirst for goals could be a telling factor as the second half of this season unfolds.

Guardiola saw no point in pushing the striker, and replaced him with World Cup winner Julian Alvarez after an hour.

More good news for City is that Jack Grealish also seems to be finding more consistency.

His teasing advances from the left are more reminiscent of his Aston Villa days and would have brought him a first-half goal had Sa not made one superb save and Nathan Collins not been in the right place at the right time to head another effort off the line.

Mahrez had an effort ruled out for offside, after which City cruised home and Haaland was able to take the acclaim of the home fans at the end.

What a player.

Hardly gets involved in the match and then bang scores.

Some players have to be involved in a match, this guy just knows where the goal is. Incredible talent.

He will be below expectations this season.

EPL is a totally different kettle of fish.

Stunning prediction.

Whatever kettle of fish PL is, he has swallowed & digested it by now.

No one knows what to do with him, let’s what does Arteta have up his sleeve.

Man City paid £51m for Haaland.

Liverpool paid £85m for Nunez.

The shock announcement came on Monday, with the Premier League mounting charges against the club from between 2009 and 2018.

If found guilty, the probe could have serious ramifications for the Cityzens, as anything from fines to their expulsion from the top flight is possible.

Indeed, the accusations have allegedly led to major problems behind the scenes at City.

Pep Guardiola also said that he would ‘quit’ if the club’s hierarchy ‘lied’ to him about their finances, so everything is up in the air at the moment.

In 2020, following a UEFA investigation, the manager said: “When Manchester City is accused of something, like skipping the Financial Fair Play, I ask the board.

“They explain it to me and I believe them. But I tell them ‘if you’re lying to me, I’ll leave and I won’t be a friend anymore.'”

There have reportedly already been breakdowns in the relationship between Guardiola and his players this season, with rumours he and Joao Cancelo were involved in a bust-up before he joined Bayern Munich on a shock deadline-day move.

One thing that isn’t in doubt though, is the sheer quality of Haaland. The striker has already scored a staggering 25 goals in 20 league appearances this season, looking set to break Alan Shearer and Andy Cole’s joint record of 34 in a single Premier League campaign.

However, as reported by TEAMtalk on Wednesday, there are rumours that Guardiola never wanted Haaland at City at all and now it seems that the Norway international is already looking for a way out of the Etihad.

This is according to Spanish outlet Nacional, who state the forward is ‘already questioning whether he made the best possible decision by going to the Etihad Stadium.’

Despite his tremendous scoring record, some pundits have suggested in recent days that Haaland’s presence actually makes them a worse team.

City currently find themselves five points behind league leaders Arsenal, who also have a game in hand on them, so there is a good chance they will miss out on winning another title this season.

The report adds that Haaland’s current relationship with Guardiola is ‘terrible,’ and that he is looking for a ‘change of scenery before his €200m release clause activates in 2024.’

They also state that the Norweigan believes ‘his next challenge would be in La Liga.’

Real Madrid have previously registered an interest in the 22-year-old, but Barcelona are also in the race, with club president Joan Laporta ‘keeping an eye’ on his situation.

However, due to their ongoing financial situation, Real Madrid are still the favourites, if City do allow him to leave.

Ultimately, that could be down to what consequences come from the Premier League’s charges if the club are indeed found guilty.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foo...sedgntp&cvid=aaf3e93bd8464d89b7eba17e9bed5040

I think Halaand is feeling the pressure in the greatest league in the world now, especially given his away record vs heavyweights has been abysmal.

The debut streak of minnow/home bashing in the EPL is coming to an end but Halaand wants to feast on a larger proportion of minnows which is why he wants to play in La Liga cos outside Real Madrid and Barcelona, the rest are just cannon fodder in La Liga.

Erling Haaland breaks the record for most Premier League goals scored by a Man City player in a single season with his 27th!

Haaland 7 goals away from equaling Shearer and Cole's record of 34 goals in a PL season. Still 13 games to go!

Haaland 7 goals away from equaling Shearer and Cole's record of 34 goals in a PL season. Still 13 games to go!

He’ll do this easily I guess, City still have the likes of Southampton, West Ham, Leeds, Leicester and Everton to play.

A few teams probably kicking themselves at not signing him or making an effort to sign him.

World class striker, who will score goals in any formation.

Erling Haaland: Real Madrid is 'the dream for players', says Man City striker's agent

Real Madrid is the "dream" move for players, says Erling Haaland's agent.

Haaland, 22, has had a prolific start to his Manchester City career, scoring 27 Premier League goals since moving from Borussia Dortmund.

But his boss Pep Guardiola has previously had to deny reports that the striker's contract contains a release clause for him to join Real in 2024.

"There's the Premier League and then there's also Madrid," said agent Rafaela Pimenta.

"They have something of their own that is also the dream for the players.

"Madrid keeps this magic going. They don't have the weekly competitions, but they have the Champions League."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64830902

That was in a 42-game season. Salah holds the record in 38-game season 20 team Premier League.

Real Madrid are considering a summer move for Manchester City's Norway striker Erling Haaland, 22, as part of a plan to bring in a new generation of young stars that also includes Borussia Dortmund's England midfielder Jude Bellingham, 19. (Independent)

Erling Haaland: Pep Guardiola hails determination of Manchester City striker after he missed a sitter then scored winning penalty

Pep Guardiola hailed the brilliant "footballer and athlete" Erling Haaland after he bounced back from missing a sitter to net the winning penalty required for Manchester City to overcome Crystal Palace.

City were toiling towards a wasteful evening at Selhurst Park for the best part of 80 minutes, which included Haaland spooning a close-range effort over the bar with the goal gaping, but their Norwegian striker struck home with 12 minutes left via a pressure penalty.

That took Haaland's tally to 28 Premier League goals for the season and moved City to within two points of leaders Arsenal, who will have to respond with victory in their Super Sunday match at Fulham.

"One of the best things of knowing him well together is he can miss one chance and he won't get depressed, or he's not sad. And he's positive - next one," said Guardiola. "He knows he will have the chance and he'll be there. That's an incredible attribute as a football player and as an athlete.

"Normally, in football, basketball or tennis, when you're thinking of the action just passed or finished, you cannot be a good athlete. This guy has another one, another one."

Haaland celebrated his penalty in emphatic fashion, running towards the corner with glee before being mobbed by all of his City team-mates, bar goalkeeper Ederson.

From the outside, it looked like a moment of redemption after missing his earlier chance - but Guardiola insists City's star striker is always under those expectations.

"Of course he feels the pressure. It's nice," Guardiola added. "You have to feel it. If you don't feel the pressure, you will be in the bar drinking something.

"You have to cope and handle it. It's the pressure of if we lose, we lose the Premier League. If we lose 2-0, we lose the Champions League. If we lose against Vinny [Kompany], then we lose the FA Cup. That is a good mentality, to drive you to be the best.

"He missed a penalty in the first half because the chances of him missing that over the penalty is more difficult. He enjoys it. The way he celebrates the goals, his goals shows how happy he is here and how happy we are with him.

"The personality as a young lad, to take the ball, to put it there not softly and score was great."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...e-missed-a-sitter-then-scored-winning-penalty

First half hat-trick against RB Leipzig tonight.

Goalscoring machine this guy.

What a signing.

There's conspiracy talk going around that he was subbed off to stop him from breaking Messi's record because Pep is a Messi fan.

However I don't think this is the case.

There's conspiracy talk going around that he was subbed off to stop him from breaking Messi's record because Pep is a Messi fan.

However I don't think this is the case.

I've jokingly suggested that elsewhere

But it's just sensible management, they have a game on Saturday so taking him off since the game was won was the right thing to do

I've jokingly suggested that elsewhere

But it's just sensible management, they have a game on Saturday so taking him off since the game was won was the right thing to do

It really is and it wasn't a difficult decision for Pep to make. Game was done and dusted. Last thing you want is him getting injured.

Earlier today, I read on FB "Haaland is slowing City down". I found that quite amusing.

I still think city ty play better with a false 9.
They are on course for a similar amount of goals compared to when he isn't there- the goals are just not as spread out.
One thing they have lost though is that bit of control to monopolise the ball, so that makes them more susceptible against better teams who can hold the ball and counter.
They are still getting used to playing with him and it could cost them the league.

A goal scoring freak of nature. He has made City more one-dimensional, but when that one-dimension works... well the result today says it all.

Haaland becomes the fastest and youngest player to reach 30 goals in Europe's elite club competition.

He is also the youngest player to score five times in a single Champions League game, joining Argentina great Lionel Messi and Brazil forward Luiz Adriano as the only players to do so.

The 22-year-old is now on 39 goals for the season in all competitions, the first City player to reach that figure in a single campaign. His five hat-tricks are three more than any other player in the big five leagues.

What a player.

We (Norway) have now the best striker in PL and the best mid-fielder (Martin Ødegaard). Just need to find a coulpe of more jewels and the national team will also become better.

Erling Haaland says he was brought to Manchester City to help them win the Champions League because they "already know" how to win the Premier League.

Haaland, 22, scored five goals in City's 7-0 thrashing of RB Leipzig on Tuesday that secured their place in the Champions League quarter-finals.

City's best performance in the competition is finishing runners-up to Chelsea in 2021.

"Of course the club want to win the Champions League," said Haaland.

"They've won four out of the last five Premier League titles. They didn't bring me in to win the Premier League because they already know how to win it.

"So, you can read between the lines. I'm here to try to help the club develop even more and to win the Champions League for the first time."

City's failure to lift the Champions League is in contrast to their recent domestic success.

They have won 17 trophies since owner Sheikh Mansour's takeover of the club in 2008, including six Premier League titles - four of which have come since manager Pep Guardiola was appointed in 2016.

Despite already breaking a host of records and closing in on several more, Haaland thinks he can get even better.

Speaking to CBS, the Norway striker said: "I knew I was going to score goals because, last season, how many did they [City] score? Probably 100.

"When I saw them without a striker and they were crossing the ball in, I was like 'ah, I'd love to be there!'

"But there is so much potential in this team and I think we can improve a lot. It's an easy thing to say, but I could have scored more goals. I missed a lot of chances.

"I can get better in everything. I have to be much better - heading, combining, everything."

Team mate John Stones added that Haaland "really could do what he wants" because of his "hunger and attitude" to playing football.

"He gets in the right spot at the right time - he is an absolute ball magnet, as I think Jack [Grealish] was calling him in the dressing room after," said Stones.

"I think he wants to just win - I think if you have that mentality, then the personal accolades just come naturally without chasing them.

"That could be totally wrong but I think Erling is a huge team player and, with that kind of mindset, he's going to break more records."

French newspaper L'Equipe gave Haaland a rare perfect 10 in their player ratings and referred to him as ET on their front page.

BBC

Real Madrid have reactivated 'Operation Haaland' with the intention of signing prolific Norway striker Erling Haaland, 22, from Manchester City in 2024, when a release clause in his contract of up to 240m euros (£212m) becomes active. (AS)

Police have launched an investigation after a newspaper alleged Manchester City player Erling Haaland used his mobile phone whilst driving.

Following the story in The Sun, Greater Manchester Police said it was "aware and investigating" an alleged incident.

The newspaper released video footage and photos of Mr Haaland in his car in the New Islington area of Manchester.

If found guilty, Mr Haaland could get six points on his driving licence and receive a £200 fine.

The incident was alleged to have taken place on 15 March, close to Manchester City's Etihad Stadium.

The Norwegian striker, 22, signed for City in May in a £51.2m move from Borussia Dortmund.

'Haaland does not feel proper'
Man City v Liverpool (12:30 BST)

Pep Guardiola has just spoken to BT Sport ahead of the game. On the subject of Erling Haaland, he had this to say: "He is not fit. He doesn't feel proper. It is not a big issue but today he was not right."

==

Haaland has scored 42 goals in all competitions for Manchester City this season, including six hat-tricks (all at the Etihad). Only two players have scored more in a single campaign for a Premier League club (since 1992-93) – Ruud van Nistelrooy in 2002-03 and Mohamed Salah in 2017-18 (both 44).

Haaland has scored 42% of Man City's Premier League goals this season (28/67), while his goals have also been worth 20 points to the Citizens. All three (28 goals, 42% and 20 points) are the highest by a Manchester City player in a single Premier League campaign.

Haaland returns in style

A lacklustre City got what they deserved in the previous meeting between the clubs, when they suffered a shock Carabao Cup quarter-final loss in January.

While Guardiola's team got what they deserved on the south coast that day, they would not make the same mistake as they proceeded to dismantle a Saints side devoid of confidence.

Although Haaland's absence did not prove disruptive in the 4-1 win over former title rivals Liverpool, the Norway forward made sure his presence was felt on Saturday evening.

Initially kept quiet by the Saints defence, a typically accurate cross from De Bruyne - just the fifth player to reach a century of Premier League assists - provided Haaland the opportunity he craved as he rose between two defenders to break the deadlock.

But it was his second that will steal the headlines. With his back to Bazunu, the prolific 22-year-old guided the ball back across goal with his outstretched left leg to make it a remarkable 44 goals in 38 games in all competitions since joining last summer.

Grealish, now oozing confidence, has also hit his best form in a City shirt at a timely moment with the England international directly involved in 10 goals in 15 league games since the World Cup break.

City have typically finished their campaigns in scintillating form to win four of the past five Premier League titles and, once again, they appear to be hitting top gear as they attempt to chase down Arsenal.

They extended their best winning run in the league this season to five matches, with the latest ensuring Guardiola's side go into the home first leg of their Champions League quarter-final against German champions Bayern Munich on Tuesday full of confidence.

His second goal today was brilliant.

He just keeps on getting better and better.

Incredible athlete.

It is no secret Erling Haaland scores lots of goals - but his stunning bicycle kick in Manchester City's victory over Southampton will undoubtedly rank among his best.

There was uncertainty over whether the prolific 22-year-old would start on Saturday after a groin injury, but he announced his return in style by connecting with Jack Grealish's cross in acrobatic fashion.

That was his second goal of the game as title-chasing City recorded a 4-1 win at St Mary's to extend their winning run to eight matches in all competitions and maintain pressure on Premier League leaders Arsenal.

"We have lived two incredible decades with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, but he is on that level," manager Pep Guardiola told BBC Sport.

"The second goal was amazing. It is not easy to pick the ball up in the sky and put it on the grass."

Guardiola added: "I think our bosses bought him for this type of game. We are uncomfortable and not playing at our best level but he gets the goal.

"The second, you can't imagine at his height he has this ability. Exceptional goal."

City, English champions in four of the past five seasons, signed Haaland from Borussia Dortmund for what increasingly appears a bargain £51.2m in July.

Nine months later and the Norway striker has equalled the record of 44 goals in all competitions by a Premier League player in one season.

Through to the Champions League quarter-finals and FA Cup semi-finals, he could have 16 games to shatter that mark set by Ruud van Nistelrooy in 2003 and Mohamed Salah in 2018.

His overhead second at St Mary's was also his 30th league goal of the campaign. Taking just 27 games, he has reached that total quicker than anyone else.

"He scores a lot of goals. It is insane. He is there. If we create chances he is there," said team-mate Kevin de Bruyne.

On Haaland's spectacular second, the Belgian joked: "You will never see me do that! You can get me to Southampton hospital if I do that!

"Haaland is happy here," he added. "He knows we create a lot of chances and he does the rest."

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live, former Premier League defender Danny Gabbidon described Haaland's finish as "outrageous".

"What a finish this is. He's got so much to do, the cross is behind him and he's had to adjust. The execution is outstanding," he added.

Commentating for BBC Match of the Day, Jonathan Pearce said: "I've been doing this job for 42 years and I cannot remember seeing a goalscorer like this.

"He is a goalscoring machine. I'm lost for superlatives. Absolutely stunning."

Only two other players have scored 30 or more goals in their first season in the Premier League, with Andrew Cole reaching 34 in 1993-94 and Kevin Phillips netting 30 in 1999-00.

Haaland has, with about a quarter of the season remaining, outscored eight Premier League teams.

In setting up Haaland's first of the match, De Bruyne reached a landmark of his own as he became only the fifth player to reach 100 Premier League assists, and the quickest to do so - in 237 games.

On his own achievement, the Belgium playmaker said: "We scored a lot of goals in the eight years I have been here. I have been blessed with the team-mates here.

"It is nice. Maybe when I am done playing football it is something I will look back on."

BBC

Another goal tonight.

Incredible footballer.

20230411_215227.jpg

Another 5/6 years at Man City is all he needs to cement his place as the PL's most prolific goalscorer ever. These numbers are out of this world.

Pep Guardiola has stated that Manchester City take care of Erling Haaland “24 hours” because of the 6ft 5in striker’s size and his value as an asset.

Haaland, who cost £51m in the summer, has scored 45 goals for City, a single-season record for any Premier League player. Last season he missed 16 matches for Borussia Dortmund owing to injuries, whereas this term Haaland has been unavailable for only four City matches. Guardiola explained why.

“I don’t know what he’s done in Dortmund but we take care of him 24 hours,” the manager said. “We have incredible doctors and physios, they are behind him every second of the day. It’s difficult to understand why you spend a lot of money [on a player] and then leave them – [again] I don’t know what the other clubs do.

“Today with this demanding schedule of games every three or four days we have to take care of them. It’s so demanding, with nutrition, rest, sleep, food. For the training, how many minutes they should play. There is data that says they cannot train more than 10 or 15 minutes.

“People say why was he subbed against Leipzig [last month] when he’d scored [five] goals but then he was injured after the Burnley game next, so could not play with us against Liverpool or for Norway.

“We know we have to watch him because he’s so big. The physios take care of him; he is massaged – his back, shoulders, tendons, everything. He works so much time inside the training centre – much more than on the pitch. Today in modern football, players train more behind the scenes than on the pitch.”

City, who host Leicester in Saturday’s late match, are six points behind Arsenal with a game in hand and because they also play the Gunners and have a superior goal difference defending the title is currently in their hands.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-city-according-to-guardiola?CMP=share_btn_tw

The goal-scoring machine:

Erling Haaland has scored 47 goals in 40 games this season

Still 8 more games to go, can easily have another 12 goals in PL only. And today he was taken off after first half.

Manchester City are preparing a new contract offer for Erling Haaland after a release clause in his current deal was removed.

His #MCFC contract contained a clause that permitted him to leave for £150million in the summer of 2024.

Erling Haaland has missed a penalty for the first time in his last 16 attempts in all club competitions, since his last miss for Borussia Dortmund in April 2021...

Shades of Peak Brazilian Ronaldo. Scaring the life out of defenders and opposition fans

Phenomenal talent!

Still 8 more games to go, can easily have another 12 goals in PL only. And today he was taken off after first half.

Now becomes the highest PL scorer for a 38 games season and still 7 games to go. Will soon become the highest PL scorer overall when he gets the two goals needed.

It could be a big day for Erling Haaland

He's one goal shy of equalling Andrew Cole and Alan Shearer's joint Premier League goalscoring record for a single season

What total will he finish on?

Fu80AemXoAEBYWm

It could be a big day for Erling Haaland

He's one goal shy of equalling Andrew Cole and Alan Shearer's joint Premier League goalscoring record for a single season

What total will he finish on?

Fu80AemXoAEBYWm

Haaland converted a third-minute penalty, after Julian Alvarez had been fouled by Tim Ream, to become the first top-flight player to reach a half-century of goals in one campaign since Tom 'Pongo' Waring did so for Aston Villa in 1931.

The Norwegian striker also moved level for most goals in a Premier League season - matching the 34 goals Andy Cole scored for Newcastle in 1993-94 and the same amount Alan Shearer registered for Blackburn a year later.

Who knows how long Haaland will stay at Manchester City, but this guy has the potential to breal all sorts of records.

What a player he is - an absolute nightmare for defenders.

Manchester City are preparing to open talks with Norway striker Erling Haaland, 22, over a new contract. (Football Insider)

Another day, another goal for Erling Haaland - with even his manager surprised at the latest incredible statistic from the Manchester City striker's record-breaking season.

Haaland converted a third-minute penalty in City's 2-1 win over Fulham, a result that took Pep Guardiola's side back to the top of the Premier League and a step closer to their fifth title in six seasons.

It was the 22-year-old's 50th goal of the campaign in all competitions, following his £51.2m move from Borussia Dortmund in June.

The spot-kick took the Norwegian forward past Clive Allen's mark of 49 goals for Tottenham back in 1986-87.

Haaland has now scored the most goals by a top-flight player for 92 years - since Tom 'Pongo' Waring reached 50 for Aston Villa in 1930-31, when Ramsay MacDonald was the UK prime minister.

Waring's tally came in a season when Arsenal were champions, ahead of Villa, Sheffield Wednesday and Portsmouth, with Manchester United bottom and relegated from the old First Division, along with Leeds.

"Before Winston Churchill was prime minister? Wow. Sounds a long time ago," was Guardiola's reaction to hearing the latest Haaland-related statistic.

"Congratulations to Erling. The best goals to help us achieve what we want is still [to come] there.

"I was really impressed that he took the penalty with the strong mentality he has."

Haaland has only needed 44 games to bring up his half-century - with 34 Premier League goals, 12 in the Champions League, three in the FA Cup and one in the Carabao Cup.

As well as pushing to win another league title, City are in the Champions League semi-finals and play Manchester United in the FA Cup final as they look to win the Treble.

'Phenomenal' Haaland strikes again

Erling Haaland has scored 34 of Manchester City's 84 Premier League goals so far this season
"I say this in a polite way - Erling Haaland is a freak," said Premier League record goalscorer Alan Shearer on BBC Radio 5 Live.

"If you were building a centre-forward from scratch then he would almost be it.

"He's very good in the air, quick, has a fantastic touch, he can bring people into the game and more importantly he scores a ton of goals. Everything about him is top quality.

"That's why Manchester City fought so hard to get him. He's phenomenal to watch."

Haaland's next Premier League goal will break a record he currently shares with Shearer and Andrew Cole.

Both Cole (for Newcastle in 1993-94) and Shearer (Blackburn, 1994-95) also netted 34 Premier League goals in one campaign - back when it was a 42-game season, rather than the 38 matches teams play now.

Haaland still has a potential 10 matches to play this season - six in the Premier League, one in the FA Cup and a maximum of three in the Champions League if City reach the final.

The all-time single-season English goalscoring record is the 63 goals Everton's Dixie Dean managed in 1927-28.

Former Manchester City defender Micah Richards, speaking in February, said: "Haaland is incredible. You feel as though he will break all records although surely Dean's 63 goals is impossible even for him."

The way Haaland is playing, with 18 goals in his past 12 games, anything seems possible now.

Bbc

Erling Haaland: Manchester City striker can get even better - Pep Guardiola

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has said there is plenty of scope for Erling Haaland to get even better.

The Norway striker has scored 50 goals for City this season, including 34 in the Premier League and 12 in the Champions League.

The English record for goals by a top-flight player in a single season is 63, by Everton's Dixie Dean in 1927-28.

"Always I've said with Erling it will be tough when you look at what he has done," said Guardiola.

"If he doesn't score the goals like he's scoring now people will say 'Oh, he's in a bad situation' - but his game can improve a lot.

"I wouldn't say in the box but in the game itself, the movements. I think he has that feeling, 'Is that enough?', and I think he has the desire to get better as a player.

"As long as he has that he can do it."

City host West Ham on Wednesday as they look to move back to the Premier League summit after Arsenal went top with a 3-1 win against Chelsea on Tuesday.

Haaland's next Premier League goal will break a record he currently shares with Alan Shearer and Andrew Cole.

Both Cole (for Newcastle in 1993-94) and Shearer (Blackburn, 1994-95) also netted 34 Premier League goals in one campaign - back when it was a 42-game season, rather than the 38 played now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65464392

And that's his 35th Premier League goal of the season and 51st goal of the season.

The guy is a freak (meant in a good way).

Nothing compared to your genius.

38 faster bowlers than Nasim Shah in Indian domestic circuit.
Pritvi Shaw is the next Tendulkar.
Mikel Arteta is the next Pep.
Jack Grealish is the next Giggs.
Messi will score 25 + in the farmer's league.

To name but a few of your ridiculous and preposterous predictions.

I am happy to eat humble pie, but you need a pasting. Which might explain why you have been silent of late.

:)

:))) you forgot the PL title is in the bag prediction as well.

Manchester City striker Erling Haaland has broken the record for goals in a Premier League season.

The Norwegian scored his 35th league goal of the campaign against West Ham to move past Alan Shearer and Andrew Cole's previous best of 34.

Haaland had already set a new high in a 38-game season, surpassing Mohamed Salah's 32 goals for Liverpool in 2017-18.

He now holds the overall record and has another five games to add to his tally.

Cole's 34 goals for Newcastle in 1993-94 was matched by Shearer as he fired Blackburn to the title the following year but there were 22 teams in the top flight in both seasons, giving them an extra four matches to play - Shearer started all 42 in his record season, while Cole missed two in his.

Haaland, in his debut season in English football, has set the new marker in just his 31st game of the year.

Congrats to the big man. Highest ever PL scorer, first season too. :14:

An alien, a freak of nature. 22 years old, his first season in the league and he's smashed the record. Maybe he's already got his sights set on Shearer's 260...

Alfie Haaland says he was escorted from his seat at the Bernabeu because Real Madrid fans were "not happy" with his celebrations after Kevin de Bruyne's equaliser for Manchester City in the Champions League semi-final first leg.

Video on social media appears to show Erling Haaland's dad taunting the home fans before being removed from his box.

Haaland tweeted: "OK. RM was not happy we were celebrating KDB goal.

"Other than that we had to move because RM fans not happy with 1-1."

De Bruyne scored in the 67th minute to cancel out Vinicius Junior's opener.

Haaland waved with both hands while smiling at the crowd below him, cupping his ears to the Real Madrid fans and gesticulating, while reports in Spain suggested he threw food at the supporters.

He tweeted again on Wednesday to say it was "not true" that he had thrown anything.

"We had some good banter with Madrid fans," he added. "They were not happy when City scored. Typical.

"Then we had to move 50 meters away. Nothing more. All happy. Well nearly."

The former Manchester City and Leeds midfielder is a regular at City's matches, where his son has scored 51 goals so far this season.

Spanish giants Madrid have lifted the Champions League trophy - a competition City have yet to win - five times since 2014 and knocked the Premier League champions out of the tournament at the semi-final stage last year.

In October reports suggested that Haaland's contract contains a special release clause for him to join Real Madrid in 2024, which City boss Pep Guardiola later said is "not true".

The 22-year-old's agent, Rafaela Pimenta, said in March that a move to Real Madrid is "the dream" for any player.

City host Real Madrid in the second leg at Etihad Stadium on Wednesday, 17 May.

Victory for Guardiola's side would see them face either Inter Milan or AC Milan in this year's final on Saturday 10 June at Istanbul's Atatürk Olympic Stadium.

bbc

What a dream season for this fella, delighted to have him in the world’s best league

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">✅ West Ham<br>✅ Newcastle<br>✅ Crystal Palace<br>✅ Nottingham Forest<br>✅ Aston Villa<br>✅ Wolves<br>✅ Man United<br>✅ Southampton<br>✅ Brighton<br>✅ Fulham<br>✅ Leeds Utd<br>✅ Everton<br>✅ Spurs<br>✅ Arsenal<br>✅ Bournemouth <br>✅ Leicester <br>✅ Liverpool<br><br>⛔️ Chelsea <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/CFC?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#CFC</a> become the first Premier League… <a href="https://t.co/AziaPPtjNn">pic.twitter.com/AziaPPtjNn</a></p>— talkSPORT (@talkSPORT) <a href="https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1660329305614712835?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 21, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back