Would the trend of high scores that we are witnessing in IPL, will it continue in T20 World Cup?

Rajdeep

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Around 7-8 years ago, 140 used to be fighting total, 160 a winning one, 180 was exceptional score and 200 meaning game over for opposition in T20 cricket

However, T20s have changed a lot in the last couple of years. If we go by the ongoing IPL, even 250 is not safe. Batsmen are throwing their bat at everything and no longer focussing on avg or scoring hundreds.

So the question is, will we see the similar trend in upcoming T20 WC where teams will target min 220 to feel safe?

Around 7-8 years ago, 140 used to be fighting total, 160 a winning one, 180 was exceptional score and 200 meaning game over for opposition in T20 cricket

However, T20s have changed a lot in the last couple of years. If we go by the ongoing IPL, even 250 is not safe. Batsmen are throwing their bat at everything and no longer focussing on avg or scoring hundreds.

So the question is, will we see the similar trend in upcoming T20 WC where teams will target min 220 to feel safe?
We'll have a few high scoring games, ut nothing like the ipl where people will be smashing 180 of the first 10 overs lol.

But yes some games will have 200+ scores but not all.

It will continue from certain teams. If you conduct world T20 exctly like IPL.. 2 matches each against each other you would see records tumbling.

India is the perfect venue for a T20 World Cup today. It would have been a blockbuster tournament.

I can easily see a team like Pakistan concede a few 250+ scores and the likes of Rauf and Shadab getting tonked for 70+.

In the last 2 years 56 times 200 totals were breached against main teams bar zimbabwe. Nowadays there are more than 4 or 5 six hitters in each team. These four hitters have become ancient

Even in the recently concluded ODI world cup we saw a dramatic shift in the team totals compared to 2019 edition. Most teams were almost touching 400 runs in most of the games. Pakistan even chased down 400 runs against NZ albeit in DL method.

India is the perfect venue for a T20 World Cup today. It would have been a blockbuster tournament.

I can easily see a team like Pakistan concede a few 250+ scores and the likes of Rauf and Shadab getting tonked for 70+.
Next T20 WC will be in India.

Maybe we will see 300 score :ROFLMAO:

West Indies pitches can vary a lot. The Tarouba pitch was just like these IPL pitches on 19th December and England scored 267. 2 days later, England struggled to 132 at the same venue.

Even in the recently concluded ODI world cup we saw a dramatic shift in the team totals compared to 2019 edition. Most teams were almost touching 400 runs in most of the games. Pakistan even chased down 400 runs against NZ albeit in DL method.
400 was breached only 3 times in the World Cup

400 was breached only 3 times in the World Cup

IN the world cup 15 to 40 lost to change in rules. Ever since that rule came in play England was the only team that took full advantage of the rules. Others caught up with that rule very late. Similarly in T20 7 to 16 consolidation doesn't exist anymore unless there is a big top order collapse.

Batting in T20s & ODI has evolved to extreme levels. England took ODI batting to the skies during the 2016-19 era where 350 became the norm

We are seeing similar evolution in T20 cricket now. 230 in T20 is the new 180. Think the upcoming T20 WC will see similar scores as the pitches willl be very similar

ps : Nice to see Indians producing so many power hitters - Abhishek Sharma, Shashank SIngh, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Shivam Dube , Rinku SIngh, Rajat Patidar, Riyan Parag, Prabhsimran. This is a big improvement from the era of tuk tuk batters like SHubman Gill, Sanju Samson , Ruturaj , Nitish Rana

what a way to justify flat pitches lol.

If it was pindi, ban pindi, making roads, unsportsman like.

Because its India, game is changing, revolution, Indian cricket......

So save this nationalism in your own country, dont spread it here

IN the world cup 15 to 40 lost to change in rules. Ever since that rule came in play England was the only team that took full advantage of the rules. Others caught up with that rule very late. Similarly in T20 7 to 16 consolidation doesn't exist anymore unless there is a big top order collapse.
There were only 7 matches in the 49 match World Cup where both teams scored 300 +(including D/L NZ-PAK match).

13 matches where 1 team scored 300 + and the other team didn't.

29 matches where both teams were sub 300.

@Rajdeep he has a point man.

It'll depend somewhat on the venues and surfaces produced. New York is an unknown, but the average 1st inns score in Dallas during last year's Major League Cricket was 167.

In Florida the average 1st inns score in T20Is is 165. No team has crossed 200 since WI and India had a massive runfest in 2016.

In the Caribbean there's a wide variety of conditions. These are the avg totals in completed T20Is since January 2019 at the grounds hosting WC matches:

Barbados - 173
St Lucia - 171
Trinidad (Brian Lara Academy) - 184
Guyana - 155

St Vincent hasn't hosted a T20I since 2013. Meanwhile the last time the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua hosted a T20I was a Regional Qualifier in 2021 involving likes of Panama, Belize, Argentina etc. The par score was 138 but that doesn't give you a true impression of what to expect in June. WI haven't played a T20I there since 2013 and it hasn't hosted any CPL fixtures since 2014.

Caveating all these numbers - CWI Director of Cricket Miles Bascombe said in a February podcast that the pitches have been relaid. At St Vincent he said they've reduced the clay content from 4ft to 8in and introduced a layer of gravel to increase the pace and bounce.

Long story short, don't go in with too many preconceived notions.

India won't even play there for next few decades. Only guy who openly talked about Pak pitches was Simon doull for being "Babar firendly". Those are international matches. England scored 500 runs in a single day of a test. Think about it. That never happens in India. Most of the ENglish guys finished with a strike rate of 90 for the test series. That also never happened in cricket history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teams like Australia, England and to some extent SA and NZ will score 200+ easily. India may score 200+ against some minnow.
India, Pakistan, BD, Afg will all limp to 180 scores at best.

No. It never happens. We see these topics talked before every World Cup.

Most likely you'll see the typical 150-175 scores.

I don't think 250 would be the the trend we will see but yeah 200 will be crossed very often for sure.

I don't think 250 would be the the trend we will see but yeah 200 will be crossed very often for sure.

No impact sub. Also psychology in a franchise league is different. You have so many chances to come back into the tournament. So they take more risks . In world events one slip can knock you out of the competition. Having said that Australia will come hard no matter what. That is how they won three world cups.

No impact sub. Also psychology in a franchise league is different. You have so many chances to come back into the tournament. So they take more risks . In world events one slip can knock you out of the competition. Having said that Australia will come hard no matter what. That is how they won three world cups.
Yes Australia will come hard and almost every team will come hard but 250 is something that is not easy in such events. Let's see who breaches this barrier.

Will depend on the teams and the batsmen in them. Teams like England, Australia, SA will look to score at 160, 170 SR. If it's not boundaries then they'll run twos. So yes, 200+ is what they'll be targeting.

Teams like Pakistan, Bangladesh will bat for sub par scores and hope that the bowlers defend it. Even for India it's doubtful, most of the good aggressive batsmen aren't seen playing for the national side. I think the most aggressive Asian side might be Afghanistan.

Yes Australia will come hard and almost every team will come hard but 250 is something that is not easy in such events. Let's see who breaches this barrier.

It depends on who is going well. If Travis head lasts for 10 plus overs it is going to be a massacre. Remember the world cup. Australia was at the bottom of the table. Travis head was injured at that time. He came back against NZ. Australia 144/0 in 13 overs at Dharamsala against new zealand. If you nail certain specific guys you can contain the teams. But in a team like KKR if you contain salt, narine,, then you have Russell waiting down the order.

Picture, thousand words.

xaMa7qt.png

The ultimate determinant (superseding the quality of the batsmen) will be the pitches and the overhead conditions.
Play a T20 on a green top, with cloudy conditions and neither side will score more than 150
Let’s see what the groundsmen serve up before making too many bullish predictions

Yeah, this is a great test of a bowler playing in IPL. Batters are feasting on them atm.

Why are they feasting on them? What's the reason? Is it poor bowling or poor pitches? Why are these franchises spending money on buying bowlers? When they can easily buy a bowling machine?

If the situation have been reversed, this Shastri guy would have been the first one to cry about the balance between bat and ball. Give bowlers an equal opportunity. :inti

Why are they feasting on them? What's the reason? Is it poor bowling or poor pitches? Why are these franchises spending money on buying bowlers? When they can easily buy a bowling machine?

If the situation have been reversed, this Shastri guy would have been the first one to cry about the balance between bat and ball. Give bowlers an equal opportunity. :inti
I guess bowling machine is going to do a better job and will also save a lot of money for franchises.

Small matter of livelihood for Shastri as well.

And put to the sword.
I think the experience of Afridi Aamir will come in handy. When tonked the first few balls, youngsters lose the plot and are vulnerable, this is precisely when batsmen feast on them. Experienced bowlers will keep their cool.

Previously a couple of boundaries and it made sense to take a single and rotate strike. Not now, modern batsmen, once they're on top of a bowler, they look to bludgeon them for a boundary every ball. It's a handful of these 20+ runs overs that turn the scores into massive 200+ numbers.

Pakistani batsmen need to take note of this trend. When the opposition bowler is struggling, go for the kill.

All these IPL bullies will be brought back to earth in the World Cup. :inti

You made similar claims before 50 over WC as well but then disappeared after 14th Oct game and only showed up after the finals.

Hopefully you will stick around this time :ab

WT20 won't see these scores not because of pitches but rather due to IMPACT SUB rule not being there.

IMPACT sub changes everything.

You made similar claims before 50 over WC as well but then disappeared after 14th Oct game and only showed up after the finals.

Hopefully you will stick around this time :ab
Why do you keep making up stuff from your behind and embarrass yourself always? I wasn't even active few months ago. Did I not show you my forum activities during those months and shut you up? I hardly posted during the world cup. Don't worry about me sticking around here. I will come here whenever I have free time. You post like 5 year olds lol. :kp

IPL bullies will indeed be brought back to earth and yeah I am not talking about the Indian players only. :inti

Sourav Ganguly makes earnest request to BCCI after R Ashwin's SOS post adds to 'worst IPL' furore​

Former Indian skipper Sourav Ganguly urged the BCCI to find ways to strike a balance between the bat and ball, with the existing toil of bowlers on flat pitches combined with the arrival of an extra hitter thanks to the impact player rule.

The Chapter 17 of the Indian Premier League has been a memorable one for the batting firmament. Not only has the season set some astonishingly high standards with batting totals averaging past 200 runs in almost every match but has witnessed 250+ scores a record seven times. However, the bowlers may call it a nightmare. With no help from the ‘flat’ pitches, the bowling grind has been inflicting a whole lot of psychological scars.

Ganguly expressed his concern over the difficulties faced by the bowlers this season, highlighting how the batsmen have towed them in every match

"Not easy for the bowlers. They are being carted all over and that's one area that needs to be looked at in the future, the balance between bat and ball," he said.

The first half of the season has already produced some jaw-dropping records with the bat. Former champions Sunrisers Hyderabad have gone past 250 runs three times this season and broke their own record of 277 runs by notching 287 runs on the board. The Orange Army is joined by other leading luminaries like the Lucknow Super Giants, Mumbai Indians, Royal Challengers Bangalore and the Punjab Kings who have achieved this milestone in the same season.

On Friday, the PBKS captured the record for chasing down the highest total in the history of the IPL against KKR where they managed to score 262 runs in just 18.4 overs.

Indian spinner Ravichandran Ashwin had a satirical reaction to the match as he took to X posting, “Save the bowlers, someone plsss (please).”

As the 2014 runner-up closed the match with 8 balls remaining, he topped it up with another tweet,” It’s run a ball for the last 2 overs of a T20 game in a chase of 260 +. Let that sink in.”

Before Sourav Ganguly and Ravichandran Ashwin, Indian legend Sunil Gavaskar had also mentioned about the grueling bowling environment in the tournament.

I will stop watching T20 cricket if the same happens at the international level, but thankfully it won't. I can bet my house on this!

I hope not many so that we can see you wail like a widow and not be able to do anything about it.
What like you do all the time knowing Amir and Imad are the only ones capable of saving Zimbabar?

What like you do all the time knowing Amir and Imad are the only ones capable of saving Zimbabar?
What are you even talking about?

Pakistan made the final of the T20 World Cup last time around without Amir and Imad.

What will they save Pakistan from? A successful T20 World Cup? Perhaps.

The way Amir is bowling these days, he will probably be the single biggest reason Pakistan won’t make the final this time.

What are you even talking about?

Pakistan made the final of the T20 World Cup last time around without Amir and Imad.

What will they save Pakistan from? A successful T20 World Cup? Perhaps.

The way Amir is bowling these days, he will probably be the single biggest reason Pakistan won’t make the final this time.
He saved Pakistan today. Otherwise it was 3-1

I will stop watching T20 cricket if the same happens at the international level, but thankfully it won't. I can bet my house on this!
In bilaterals it will happen. In world events it won't happen because of the psychological factor of assesmbling a unit at the last minute and playing them. I still won't rule out England/Australia firing on all cylinders against some teams.

You can continue your conversation with Mamoon and I do not want to be part of that, but if we are discussing cricket then the timing of this comment is terrible when it was Usama, Shaheen and Babar himself who saved Pakistan against a NZ c team today. Amir is already carrying an injury after playing only two games for Pakistan.

Sourav Ganguly makes earnest request to BCCI after R Ashwin's SOS post adds to 'worst IPL' furore​

Former Indian skipper Sourav Ganguly urged the BCCI to find ways to strike a balance between the bat and ball, with the existing toil of bowlers on flat pitches combined with the arrival of an extra hitter thanks to the impact player rule.

The Chapter 17 of the Indian Premier League has been a memorable one for the batting firmament. Not only has the season set some astonishingly high standards with batting totals averaging past 200 runs in almost every match but has witnessed 250+ scores a record seven times. However, the bowlers may call it a nightmare. With no help from the ‘flat’ pitches, the bowling grind has been inflicting a whole lot of psychological scars.

Ganguly expressed his concern over the difficulties faced by the bowlers this season, highlighting how the batsmen have towed them in every match

"Not easy for the bowlers. They are being carted all over and that's one area that needs to be looked at in the future, the balance between bat and ball," he said.

The first half of the season has already produced some jaw-dropping records with the bat. Former champions Sunrisers Hyderabad have gone past 250 runs three times this season and broke their own record of 277 runs by notching 287 runs on the board. The Orange Army is joined by other leading luminaries like the Lucknow Super Giants, Mumbai Indians, Royal Challengers Bangalore and the Punjab Kings who have achieved this milestone in the same season.

On Friday, the PBKS captured the record for chasing down the highest total in the history of the IPL against KKR where they managed to score 262 runs in just 18.4 overs.

Indian spinner Ravichandran Ashwin had a satirical reaction to the match as he took to X posting, “Save the bowlers, someone plsss (please).”

As the 2014 runner-up closed the match with 8 balls remaining, he topped it up with another tweet,” It’s run a ball for the last 2 overs of a T20 game in a chase of 260 +. Let that sink in.”

Before Sourav Ganguly and Ravichandran Ashwin, Indian legend Sunil Gavaskar had also mentioned about the grueling bowling environment in the tournament.

Thank you Ganguly for telling everyone to not treat this great game of cricket like a joke!

I watch IPL here and there, but truly I stopped watching long time ago because there was a time back in days when this nonsense started where some unbelieveable equations were being chased by nothing players who will never be able to do the same at international level. We should never take Franchise cricket seriously and compare it to teams that play cricket at internatinal level.

In bilaterals it will happen. In world events it won't happen because of the psychological factor of assesmbling a unit at the last minute and playing them. I still won't rule out England/Australia firing on all cylinders against some teams.
Ocassionally yes, but not all the time. IPL, this year, has made a mockery of the T20 format by bringing the impact player rule and the pitches where even a club level batter can score a century against some really good bowling attacks.

Even the goat Dhoni long time ago begged BCCI to stop with this nonsense.

Ocassionally yes, but not all the time. IPL, this year, has made a mockery of the T20 format by bringing the impact player rule and the pitches where even a club level batter can score a century against some really good bowling attacks.

Even the goat Dhoni long time ago begged BCCI to stop with this nonsense.

You develop fearlessness in franchise cricket because there is no consequence as you get to play 10 plus matches anyway. Teams follow formula, method in building a team. It is way more organized than international teams with army of coaches for each team. If you conduct international cricket exactly like IPL style all teams facing each other twice till play offs you will see the same mockery in internationals as well. In internationals it is less because only 2 or 3 teams can do this. Others are simply not good enough no matter how much they try.

He saved Pakistan today. Otherwise it was 3-1
No, he was garbage today. The main reason why New Zealand were off to flier and on course to victory before Shaheen and Usama dented their chase.

If Amir is going to “save” but going at 12 an over then others team would love to see him continue to “save” Pakistan in this fashion.

Amir fans are going to do a lot of straw clutching and mental gymnastics over the coming months. He is a finished bowler and he has no business playing for Pakistan anymore.

No, he was garbage today. The main reason why New Zealand were off to flier and on course to victory before Shaheen and Usama dented their chase.

If Amir is going to “save” but going at 12 an over then others team would love to see him continue to “save” Pakistan in this fashion.

Amir fans are going to do a lot of straw clutching and mental gymnastics over the coming months. He is a finished bowler and he has no business playing for Pakistan anymore.
He doesn’t want to play for Pakistan

I don’t know about others, I like Amir and I am not a Pakistan fan. I want to see this team under Babar Azam with Rizwan’s influence lose and lose so hard.

Get rid of Amir. Throw out Imad.

I honestly could care less. Them 2 could care less either. Enjoy Babar’s 69 tonight, it was a tribute to fans.

He doesn’t want to play for Pakistan

I don’t know about others, I like Amir and I am not a Pakistan fan. I want to see this team under Babar Azam with Rizwan’s influence lose and lose so hard.

Get rid of Amir. Throw out Imad.

I honestly could care less. Them 2 could care less either. Enjoy Babar’s 69 tonight, it was a tribute to fans.
Honestly I'm fine with no imad and Amir either.

If anything let babar and rizwan open with chacha as the main middle order bat so that the misbah clique can enjoy another beating.

My only regret is that I wish rizwan was captaining so that the whole Rizwan trained under misbah can be laid to rest.

'Teams Will Study the Patterns': SRH Spin Bowling Coach Muttiah Muralitharan Predicts Sides Will Come up With Counter Measures to Curtail Runs​

Chennai Super Kings play host to the touring Sunrisers Hyderabad on Sunday in the 2024 season of the Indian Premier League as the Orange army racks up to its southern neighbour’s home ground at the MA Chidambaram in Chennai.

With the race for a playoff spot heating up in the ongoing edition of the T20 event both teams look to pick up valuable points on the day to drive their chances of qualification forward.

Ahead of the enticing encounter at The Den, the SRH bowling Muttiah Muralitharan coach opined that the fixture has all the makings of a high-scoring contest, barring the case of a dry wicket. He touched upon the changing nature of the T20 game with scores in excess of 200 much more frequent to come by this season.

“It could turn out to be another high-scoring game as the game has changed quite a bit from last year to this. Teams are putting up big scores with sides using the impact player rule really well,” the legendary spinner began.

“However, if the wicket is dry and offers up some spin, it will be a different ball game altogether,” he added.

The current season of the money-rich franchise cricket league has proved to be a run-fest with bowlers taken for plenty of runs across the tournament. However, the Sri Lankan spin wizard expressed that it would be unwise to simply write it off as a given, going forward as bowling units could come up with strategies to put a rein on the massive flow of runs.

He elucidated that sides will have a look at the emerging patterns and come up with countermeasures.

“This year that it has been the case, but we can’t write it out to be the same from here on out as the teams will sit down and study the patterns that have cropped up,” he revealed.

He explained that the nature of the pitch has a huge bearing on the number of runs that fans have witnessed and stated that teams have gone with flat wickets this season.

“It is ever-changing. This pitch has a huge bearing on it and the teams have been preparing rather flat wickets,” the 52-year-old said.

He revealed that strike rate is another key factor that teams have been focusing on this season in an attempt to utilize the 20 overs to the maximum extent to improve their chances of winning.

“Teams are also looking into strike rate a lot as they want to maximize on the 120 deliveries available,” the SRH coach said.

SRH have stated and backed up their intent to play ultra-aggressive cricket with the batting unit firing from all cylinders and Muralitharan expressed that the side sticking to the gameplan matters more than the result in itself.

“We are looking to play a particular brand of cricket. We have lost a couple of games along the way, but despite the results, if the team plays according to the style of cricket we want to, the coaches will be happy,”

“A team can’t win all the games and there are going to be defeats. If we are able to win 60 per cent of our games, we have a great chance to make the playoffs,” he signed off.

Lucknow Super Giants’ assistant coach Lance Klusener reckoned that over complication of variations has resulted in bowlers being taken for plenty, with the death-over economy rate rising to 12 rpo this edition. Klusener said after his side’s seven-wicket reverse to Rajasthan Royals on Saturday:

“I think just looking at the bowling performances throughout the competition has been disappointing. I haven’t seen a lot of good death bowling, and that is why the teams have been able to take advantage. Sure, the surfaces have been flat, haven’t seen a lot of swing either, but I think maybe the batters have evolved faster than the bowlers.”

“It is easy to overcomplicate. [Even] If you run in and execute four yorkers [it’s good], but we don’t see that skill anymore. We go to slower balls and a whole lot of other variations; so, I feel that pure death bowling, yorkers, whether wide or straight, that’s a skill that we don’t see very often these days.”

Lucknow Super Giants’ assistant coach Lance Klusener reckoned that over complication of variations has resulted in bowlers being taken for plenty, with the death-over economy rate rising to 12 rpo this edition. Klusener said after his side’s seven-wicket reverse to Rajasthan Royals on Saturday:

“I think just looking at the bowling performances throughout the competition has been disappointing. I haven’t seen a lot of good death bowling, and that is why the teams have been able to take advantage. Sure, the surfaces have been flat, haven’t seen a lot of swing either, but I think maybe the batters have evolved faster than the bowlers.”

“It is easy to overcomplicate. [Even] If you run in and execute four yorkers [it’s good], but we don’t see that skill anymore. We go to slower balls and a whole lot of other variations; so, I feel that pure death bowling, yorkers, whether wide or straight, that’s a skill that we don’t see very often these days.”
It doesn't help that these batters have the ability to scoop these yorkers for sixes, that too at high pace. The issue is that bowlers are restricted, while batsmen have a lot more room for improvement.

InshaAllah that trend will continue so that our coward batsmen can no longer hide behind our bowlers

Tbh Pakistan vs Australia is going to be hilarious to watch 😂😂
It’s a guaranteed loss for Pakistan in a knock out game

Pakistan better hope Australia are knocked out by India or NZ in the super 8s

It’s a guaranteed loss for Pakistan in a knock out game

Pakistan better hope Australia are knocked out by India or NZ in the super 8s
Won't happen, not by NZ atleast. They beat a full strength NZ team while in experimentation mode.

They gave NZ the same treatment that NZ usually gives to Pakistan.

2023 wc squad was the 2nd weakest wc squad Australia had ever sent, 1st being 2011. And they still won.

2024 wc squad is gun, with almost every batter besides Marsh striking at 150+. They've ensured that just one batter is enough to win the game.

Bowling wise pat Cummings is still gun, stark is gun in t20 but a bit burnt out In odi, but his line and length is 100× superior to any of our pacers and qell as pace and variation. Zampa is pretty good.

But the thing is their batting. Even b string players like Tim David are enough to solo.

We already saw the statistics, they have 7 consistent 150+ SR bats in their squad with a further 5 also striking at 150+ but not consistently. Their slowest batter is Marsh who can still up it to 200sr when needed.

Batting wise their ahead of the curve against every team atm.

As a t20 unit, India is good but as their posters have mentioned current kohli and some of their current old guns are no longer t20 specialists, their gun in odi and test though.

Were you concerned about new T20 totals when last year in PSL in Pindi Stadium teams scored 250s+?

Only about 7 or 8 people have made the chage. When you get them out early you can contain teams.

1) Narine
2) Salt
3) Abhishek
4 Head
5) Stubbs
6) Klassen
7) Russell

Former Australia Captain Ricky Ponting, during an interview with a sports media, stated:

"The bowler's got a little bit more purchase than in India, and we can see what the impact rule does on a bigger ground. Look where these big scores have been made this year: like Chinnaswamy. Go back to the first ever IPL game - I'm standing at the other end when Brendon McCullum made 158. So it can happen in certain venues. Mumbai. If Delhi's a good pitch this year, there'll be some huge scores there. I will guarantee that."

The big shift: Why batters are having a record-breaking IPL​

It was with a faint smile and some helplessness that Sam Curran uttered these words in the aftermath of Punjab Kings (PBKS) chasing down a record 262 against Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) at Eden Gardens last week. Curran was obviously chuffed as the skipper of the winning team on the night, but as an all-rounder whose primary task is to take wickets and stem runs, there was also empathy with fellow bowlers across both dugouts after a manic run fest.

The game in Eden Gardens wasn’t an anomaly. Eight of the ten highest IPL totals have come this season. All of them are over 250, a barrier that had been breached only once, in 2023, before this edition. A total of 903 sixes in 50 games (till Thursday) makes for an average of 18 per game. If we extrapolate this number to the remaining 24 games, we are likely to end up with 1,336 sixes, beating the previous high of 1,124 sixes in 2023. The current figure is already the third highest in an IPL season. That 1000-plus sixes were never hit in a single edition before 2022 points to the changing dynamics of T20 batting.

If Curran’s contention that T20 cricket is turning into baseball has merit, there is arguably nobody better than Julian Wood to provide further insight. Wood, a former English first-class cricketer, is a specialist power-hitting coach who has worked with T20 teams and franchises around the world including Punjab Kings. More importantly, Wood’s training methods are derived largely from baseball, having spent considerable time in Major League Baseball (MLB) in the United States.

“The mindset has shifted. It's phenomenal where the game is going. For me, T20 batting is the fastest evolving part of any sport in the world,” Wood said in an interview over the phone. “The scores have soared, and records are being broken every week. The mindset has been very different. The way batters approach the first six overs especially. They just basically go now. It's as simple as that.”

The introduction of the Impact Player rule in 2023 has certainly provided more security and freedom for the top six to unleash. Yet the consistency with which batters are clearing the boundary points to a paradigm shift in ability and outlook.

“It certainly helps the mindset. But I don’t like the rule,” opined Wood, who worked with Punjab in 2022. “They don't use it in international cricket. The rule does make it easier because you have got an extra batter. When batters at the top know that the batter coming in at No.8 is a proper batter, it gives them even more of a license.”

The mindset shift, according to Wood, is exemplified by young Australian opener Jake Fraser-McGurk, who already has two 15-ball fifties six games into his IPL career.

“Someone like Fraser-McGurk, he's just trying to hit fours and sixes. He has no interest in anything else. He knows one way. Over 80% of his runs are in boundaries but he faces a lot of dots. He doesn't do much with the balls that he cannot hit for four or six. When you look at the mindset of coaches, they will probably say you need to do more with the balls that you cannot hit for four or six. But if you say that to him, he's probably going to miss out on what he's looking for,” Wood said.

Fraser-McGurk’s example is also pertinent because he doesn’t strike you as being big and strong. If Andre Russell, Romario Shepherd, Rovman Powell and Mitch Marsh are examples of power-hitters who hit the ball with brute force, the 22-year-old Australian relies on other aspects to be just as effective.

“The big guys can stay still and just muscle it,” Wood explained, “The smaller guys rely heavily on the rhythm and timing of their movements. When you swing a bat, there are a kinetic chain of events that happen. You encourage that by constant movement. It almost gives you a head start. The smaller guys need to have that rhythm and timing of their movements. And you can't get too close to the ball. You need space. I call it clean space, which is space for the hands and bat to come through. If you have too much space, you lose control of the bat. If you have too little space, you get restricted. What these guys are very good at is creating the optimum space that they want. Without space, you cannot accelerate your hands through the ball.”

In addition, batters are increasingly setting up like they do in baseball, with their feet deep in the crease and hands held high. “Yes (it’s becoming more and more like baseball). Phil Salt is an example of someone who sets up very much in baseball style. The hands are much higher when they take stance than they used to be. (Jos) Buttler's hands are quite low. But generally, the hands of a lot of batters are higher,” said the 55-year-old.

Some of these six-hitters may not be as proficient at rotating the strike and minimising dot balls. But does it really matter when you can clear the boundary at will? Take the 2016 T20 World Cup semi-final for instance; India’s 192/2 included 17 fours and four sixes and plenty of ones and twos, but the West Indians just bludgeoned their way to victory with 20 fours and 11 sixes.

“The team that hits more fours and sixes will win the game. If you can clear the ropes, the dot balls don't matter so much because you have time,” Wood said. “When you don't have that power game, you have to hustle and run ones and twos.”

Virat Kohli belongs to this more orthodox school of batting. That he still has 500 runs in 10 matches at a strike rate of 147.49 highlights his all-format flexibility, but do players of his ilk have the game to fit the format’s evolving demands?

“Kohli hits the ball hard enough. He has skill and touch,” said Wood. “It's a generation thing. The younger guys have been brought up differently and it's been embedded in them to play that way. Kohli has got to do what works for him. If you look at the sixes hit by Rohit (Sharma) and Kohli, the younger guys are hitting twice as many sixes as them. The youngsters will just be better at T20 cricket than them and the next generation that comes up will be even better. It's just the mindset that is very different.”

Back