Yusuf Pathan announces retirement from all cricket

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
India all-rounder Yusuf Pathan announced his retirement from all cricket on Friday. Pathan was part of 2007 T20 and 2011 50-over World Cup-winning squads.

"I thank my family, friends, fans, teams, coaches and the whole country wholeheartedly for all the support and love," Pathan wrote on his Twitter handle.

Pathan played 57 ODIs and scored 810 runs at a strike-rate of 113.60 with two hundreds and three fifties. The 38-year-old also featured in 22 T20Is where he made 236 at a strike-rate of 146.58. A blistering 96-ball 123 in a winning cause against New Zealand in December 2010 remains one of the highlights of his career.

His exploits in the Indian Premier League (IPL) catapulted him into the limelight. He hit the fastest fifty of the IPL's first season - off 21 balls against the then Deccan Chargers, and his all-round show in the final was instrumental in Rajasthan Royals' maiden and, so far, the only title win. Pathan has also won the IPL title twice with Kolkata Knight Riders – in 2012, 2014.

"The time has come today for me to put a full stop to this innings of my life. I officially announce retirement from all forms of the game," wrote Yusuf in the statement.

"Winning two World Cups for India and lifting Sachin Tendulkar on my shoulders were some of the best moments of my career," he added.

Yusuf played 100 first-class matches for Baroda, scoring 4825 runs and picking 201 wickets. In List A cricket, the right-handed batsman had 4797 runs and 124 wickets from 199 matches.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/cric...ement-india-world-cup-ipl/article33941954.ece

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I thank my family, friends, fans, teams, coaches and the whole country wholeheartedly for all the support and love. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/retirement?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#retirement</a> <a href="https://t.co/usOzxer9CE">pic.twitter.com/usOzxer9CE</a></p>— Yusuf Pathan (@iamyusufpathan) <a href="https://twitter.com/iamyusufpathan/status/1365252075710410754?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 26, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

India’s 2007 T20 wc and 2011 ODI WC winner Yusuf Pathan.
Wishing you all the best for your next chapter!

Exceptional striker of the ball, really bossed that odi series in SA.

What's his most memorable innings for you guys?

For me I distinctly remember a blistering knock in SA, even though we ended up losing the match I think. Was a valiant effort from Yusuf.

Lived under the shadow of his brother, I feel.

Lived under the shadow of his brother, I feel.

He debuted with a six in the T20 WC final vs Pakistan as opener. From there it was always a case of what-could-be unlike his brother who was a case of what-should-be.

Yusuf had an amazing knock vs SA but couldn't finish. His crowning glory was while with Rajasthan Royals where he was phenomenal. There were also flashes of brilliance through lots of inconsistencies with KKR and not sure what he did after 2014-15 which is when I stopped closely following him and the IPL.

There was also an insane domestic hundred in a chase. But basically, it's been a slow fading away that stretched through almost a decade.

The buzz around him was due to the apparent ease with which he hit those long sixes but he was never able to get along with the short ball.

Well at least he made a lot of money through the IPL, so ...:fz

Yousuf Pathan was clearly not talented and was lucky so feature in so many ODIs for India.

I mean 810 runs in 57 ODIs is tail ender stuff.

The stats show that he wasted his talent,not that he wasn't talented

He has an ODI ton in SA and had many impact innings but the consistency wasn't there

Maybe could have been backed more in T20s

Team management didn't show as much confidence in Yusuf Pathan as they are showing in Pandya these days. :inti

Yousuf Pathan was clearly not talented and was lucky so feature in so many ODIs for India.

I mean 810 runs in 57 ODIs is tail ender stuff.
We only needed him for lower order hitting, in a team of sehwag sachin gambhir kohli yuvraj Dhoni he didn't get many balls to face he was a proper pinch hitter. Nothing more nothing less

Irfan Pathan is easily India's biggest loss, earth shattering talent.

Imagined him playing under current team management.Would have enhanced his bowling even more

Instead was told to focus on batting and then to change his action :facepalm:

Imagined him playing under current team management.Would have enhanced his bowling even more

Instead was told to focus on batting and then to change his action :facepalm:

He was dropped unfairly especialliy after he gave a match winning performance in his last match against Sri Lanka. :inti

He was dropped unfairly especialliy after he gave a match winning performance in his last match against Sri Lanka. :inti

yes and that was the time we were playing the likes of Vinay and Dinda,so it's not even we were buzzing with talent

Very average bits and pieces cricketer should have played IPL with more consistency he should have targetted more 20 20 leagues.

Yusuf Pathan on rampage against Australia made 51*(23) against Australia Champions in the all important Semi Final of WCL 2024.

Back