Yuvraj Singh retires from international cricket & IPL : How highly do you rate him?

dBHzpKv.png

He played three world cups and all three on spinner friendly wickets. His bowling stats would have been different if he had played 99,15 or 19 world cup.

Sad to see another legend retire from the beautiful game!
Though, i am a pak fan, i appreciate the skill of world class players from all countries and yuvraj was certainly world class!
Enjoy your retirement and wishing you a wonderful 2nd innings of your life!

He played three world cups and all three on spinner friendly wickets. His bowling stats would have been different if he had played 99,15 or 19 world cup.
There is a limit to nitpicking! How could he've played those WCs when he wasn't ready for '99 WC and was past it for '15 & '19 WCs?

Gave India some clutch performances thru out. 2002 Natwest final, 6 sixes vs Broad , MOS in 2011 world cup, 85* Chennai knock to win in 4rth inns against ENG all comes into mind. He was such a treat to watch.If he showed a bit more application , could have easily become a 40 avg: ing test batsman in the middle order.Any way a great one day player .... No doubt

I feel sad.

Defied Cancer to return to international cricket so is a hero to many for that.

Yuvraj is one of those players you are just proud to have in your camp. It’s not always the ones with ATG level stats, he has great ODI stats, was a big occasion match winner, could not find success in Indian test team with limited chances but I am sure has he played for a nation not as spoiled with legendary test batsmen, he would have ultimately developed into a decent test batter too.

Thanks for he memories bro.

He’s had a great repo with team mates and opposition camp players too.

I have already been missing his presence in the side.

Have a great journey ahead

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After 25yrs in cricket Ive decided to move on. Cricket has given me everythin I have.ThankU 4being a part of this journey.This game taught me how to fight,how to fall,to dust off,to get up again n move forward. It has been a lovely journey. See you on the other side <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SteppingOut?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SteppingOut</a> <a href="https://t.co/x3wOhoXcLv">pic.twitter.com/x3wOhoXcLv</a></p>— yuvraj singh (@YUVSTRONG12) <a href="https://twitter.com/YUVSTRONG12/status/1138093768446566400?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 10, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A match winner for India and was excellent under pressure. Not an ATG but he played some ATG knocks. He had a great career. All the best for the future.

Speaking for the first time since announcing his international retirement, celebrated all-rounder Yuvraj Singh named India's 2011 Men's Cricket World Cup win as the biggest moment in his career.

Yuvraj was Player of the Series in that tournament, and finally bringing cricket's biggest trophy to his country, combined with it being a home campaign, tops any of his other achievements. "I think the biggest moment in my career would definitely be winning the World Cup in 2011 and being Man of the Series," he said.

"And we won it in India as well, and after 28 years. There cannot be a bigger high."

Yuvraj outlined that a yearning for any personal milestones went out the window when compared to a World Cup victory with India. "I'd rather have winning the World Cup than scoring 10,000 runs," he said. "I never thought about 10,000 runs, I always thought about winning the World Cup."

Yuvraj was one of his country's most successful ODI players, with 52 half-centuries and and a total of 8702 runs in the format, but world-beating success in the longer format was something that eluded him somewhat. He only achieved 40 caps in Test cricket, having made his debut in 2003 when a plethora of greats were solidified in the Indian batting line-up.

"I think I played at a time when it was very difficult to get a spot," he said. "I played with (VVS) Laxman, (Sourav) Ganguly who was captain, Sachin (Tendulkar), Rahul (Dravid), Viru (Virender Sehwag) started opening … It was very hard to find space in the middle order. And that time we used to get one or two Test matches (to prove ourselves) compared to guys today who get 10 to 15 Test matches to play all the time. So I never really got that spot.

"Every time I failed, I would lose my spot because it was just me, or Sourav or Laxman ... I finally got my spot, but then I got diagnosed with cancer, so ... I don't know what to say. It's been unfortunate. If you look at the whole journey it's been great, but unfortunate not to play [Tests] ... another 40 Test matches would have been awesome.

Yuvraj hit three hundreds and 11 half-centuries in 40 Tests Yuvraj hit three hundreds and 11 half-centuries in 40 Tests
"I was batting at No. 6, I averaged about 34-35, which is not great. I would have loved to average 40. But for me, at the end of the day, it's about winning games, and every time I scored runs I'm sure it helped win the game for India. It's a regret, definitely, but I've given my all."

After naming Ganguly and MS Dhoni as the two best captains that he ever played under, Yuvraj went on to list his most formidable opponents in the international arena, citing a certain Sri Lankan spinner as the best he had ever come up against. "I think Muttiah Muralitharan would be the toughest I've faced," he admitted.

"The other would be Glenn McGrath. The overseas cricketers I admire ... Ricky Ponting is someone I really admire as a batsman. AB de Villiers, Chris Gayle ... I think these guys were serious powerhouses when I played against them."

When quizzed as to which current player reminds him most of himself, Yuvraj named young Indian wicket-keeper and fellow left-handed batsman Rishabh Pant, claiming that the 21-year-old could even surpass his own abilities. "Not exactly myself, I think he has the potential to be better," he said.

"He's already scored two Test hundreds away, in Australia and England. I think that boy has great potential to be a very attacking, match-winning left-hander. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the next few years."

Yuvraj said he hoped to be involved with the sport in the future, but for now, he plans to enjoy a period away from the game and spend time with his foundation helping those affected by cancer. "I'll enjoy myself for a year or two, after that I'll think about it," he said.

"Right now I'm going to take some time off. I definitely want to give something back to cricket, and hopefully do some work in the future with the younger generation."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1240886

Legend and a great man. Tied in with my early memories of cricket. Especially that knock vs Australia in 2000 as I was still reeling from the WC final loss.

An ODI ATG no doubt. Respect.

Yuvraj Singh retires from international cricket & IPL : How highly do you rate him?

Tendulkar and Dhoni are my two most favourite cricketers from India, and two of my three cricketing heroes overall, but I think even they wouldn´t mind it if I were to put Yuvraj above them in Limited-Overs cricket as a whole package, and also purely based on the quality and the value of runs that he made for India. I´ve no idea how, but he always chose the most crunch situation of the most crunch match of the most crunch tournament to get his runs.

To put things into perspective, after the World Cup 1999 victory by them and to the World Cup 2011, the mighty Australians were hindered from entering the final of an ICC tournament on seven occasions, and on three of those times it was done by a man called Yuvraj - he literally stood as a wall between Australia and their win.

If anyone out there wants to know what a determined and angry Punjabi can do on his day, just watch the highlights of some or the other innings of his from one or the other multi-national tournaments that he played in. A day before his retirement I think it was, they were showing the glimpses of his innings against Australia in World Cup Quarter-final 2011 (in the 'Magic Moments' segment of the ongoing World Cup), and it gave me goosebumps. The way he sat down after the winning run was hit, the way he roared like a lion, it gave the feeling as if he had just conquered Australia as a country as opposed to just beating their cricket team.

He was easily India´s greatest hitter ever. Hitting six sixes in an over off a quality bowler like Stuart Broad is no joke. I don´t doubt many repeating the feat, but I don´t think it´ll ever be done against a quality bowler like Broad - never. I say it with an apology to both Tendulkar and Dhoni, but on his day, Yuvraj caused me feelings and emotions that even they both never could. I wish him all the best to him for his life ahead. Oh´ and, did I even mention that this guy battled cancer and was playing with a lot of cough and general discomfort during the whole World Cup 2011- the tournament in which he was declared as the best player of the edition?

Tendulkar and Dhoni are my two most favourite cricketers from India, and two of my three cricketing heroes overall, but I think even they wouldn´t mind it if I were to put Yuvraj above them in Limited-Overs cricket as a whole package, and also purely based on the quality and the value of runs that he made for India. I´ve no idea how, but he always chose the most crunch situation of the most crunch match of the most crunch tournament to get his runs.

To put things into perspective, after the World Cup 1999 victory by them and to the World Cup 2011, the mighty Australians were hindered from entering the final of an ICC tournament on seven occasions, and on three of those times it was done by a man called Yuvraj - he literally stood as a wall between Australia and their win.

If anyone out there wants to know what a determined and angry Punjabi can do on his day, just watch the highlights of some or the other innings of his from one or the other multi-national tournaments that he played in. A day before his retirement I think it was, they were showing the glimpses of his innings against Australia in World Cup Quarter-final 2011 (in the 'Magic Moments' segment of the ongoing World Cup), and it gave me goosebumps. The way he sat down after the winning run was hit, the way he roared like a lion, it gave the feeling as if he had just conquered Australia as a country as opposed to just beating their cricket team.

He was easily India´s greatest hitter ever. Hitting six sixes in an over off a quality bowler like Stuart Broad is no joke. I don´t doubt many repeating the feat, but I don´t think it´ll ever be done against a quality bowler like Broad - never. I say it with an apology to both Tendulkar and Dhoni, but on his day, Yuvraj caused me feelings and emotions that even they both never could. I wish him all the best to him for his life ahead. Oh´ and, did I even mention that this guy battled cancer and was playing with a lot of cough and general discomfort during the whole World Cup 2011- the tournament in which he was declared as the best player of the edition?

"To put things into perspective, after the World Cup 1999 victory by them and to the World Cup 2011, the mighty Australians were hindered from entering the final of an ICC tournament on seven occasions, and on three of those times it was done by a man called Yuvraj - he literally stood as a wall between Australia and their win."

A correction to that, it was on six occasions and not seven. I mistakenly ended up counting World T20 2010, the final of which Australia DID end up playing.

One so unique thing about Yuvraj was that we usually see either hitters and sloggers, or stylish and elegant batsmen; but he was as a rarity two in one. People remember him for all those sixes and big hits, but his straight as well as the square or the cover drive were as elegant as anyone´s in the world - especially the straight drive. Even his sixes, that unbelievable flick off his pads that would sail into the stands was a treat to watch. Even his slogging had an element of class. He was unmatched in many ways.

As for the celebration that I previously wrote about, from the World cup Quarter-Final 2011, I think I can´t just run away from it without posting a couple of pictures of it.......

Yuvi 1.jpg
Yuvi 2.jpg

Yuvraj Singh will be playing in the 2019 Canadian T20 league for Toronto which means he has not retired from international cricket.

Yuvraj was ordinary in Test but was an amazing LOI cricketer. He announced his arrival during Champions Trophy 2000 and was a pretty consistent LOI performer.

Yuvraj singh surely underachieved, he had ability to become a KP level cricketer but indiscipline was his biggest issue.
He is as talented as anyone i have ever seen, his shots had class mixed with strength which is very rare.
What had KP done in ODI cricket? Yuvi is miles above him in LOIs.

he was a good player, but when we talk about Yuvraj, we do remember his 6 6s, but thats about .

For me, he's equivalent of Shoaib Malik, only difference isYuvraj was able to hit.

Legend? surely not

Even a well past his prime yuvraj is 10 times better than malik but i don't want to waste my time and energy in explaining this.

I'm struggling to recall the time when he was a dangerous batsman because it was so long ago. He has been mediocre for so long. He should have retired a few years ago instead of becoming a laughing stock at the end of his career.

I'm struggling to recall the time when he was a dangerous batsman because it was so long ago. He has been mediocre for so long. He should have retired a few years ago instead of becoming a laughing stock at the end of his career.

You have a very poor memory if you are struggling to recollect anything before 2012. Luckily the rest of us are more blessed in that department.

Not just loi but overall.
Obviously yuvi is miles ahead in odis.
KP was great in tests but poor in ODI and T20. Yuvi has one WC in both ODI and T20s and has played many match-winning knocks. And then his bowling was even better than KP’s and was a brilliant fielder. So I dont get how KP becomes a better overall cricketer.

KP was great in tests but poor in ODI and T20. Yuvi has one WC in both ODI and T20s and has played many match-winning knocks. And then his bowling was even better than KP’s and was a brilliant fielder. So I dont get how KP becomes a better overall cricketer.
Test cricketers will always be rated higher than loi cricketers. This is the norm.
The cricketing world will always rate a player like vvs over someone like yuvraj.

Secondly, Kp wasn't poor in odis.

Test cricketers will always be rated higher than loi cricketers. This is the norm.
The cricketing world will always rate a player like vvs over someone like yuvraj.

In what world? So is Pujara also a better overall cricketer than Yuvi?😂😂😂😂. Tell me one ICC tournament KP has won in ODI?

One of the best LOI cricketer from India alongwith Dhoni. These two helped India chase so many targets. :inti

Yuvraj is one of those cricketers who only brings smile to Indian fans of all age groups. Was an out and out match winner and we will always remember him with a great degree of fondness and love. Punjab da puttar!

The fact that he had undiagnosed cancer during the 2011 world cup, earned him a lot of respect along with love.

Last edited:
He was first golden boy of India after Sachin. A young player of big potential and hype. And he did justify it to some degree.

Bevan is 100x more famous than the likes of Langer, Martyn etc. Pujara is a meme outside Test enthusiast circle. Only the test ATGs are rated highly, anything short and nobody cares except geeks.

I remember in 1997 when I joined college, there used to be this friend of mine from Chandigarh who used to play club cricket there. He would tell us stories about practising with this guy Yuvi, who my friend thought was very arrogant but would play for India one day. Just like SRT and Dhoni, Yuvi was famous amongst cricket fans even before he played for India.

Yes, the guy was very arrogant. No doubt. But a great player

It seems like Yuvraj Singh (either in Platinum or Diamond category) will be playing in PSL 5...

Yuvraj Singh points out ‘main reason’ behind India not winning ICC World Cup 2019

The No. 4 batting position has been a major concern for the Indian cricket team in the recent past and they have tried a variety of options to solve that problem. During the ICC World Cup 2019, the quartet of KL Rahul, Rishabh Pant, Vijay Shankar and Dinesh Karthik were tried out in the position but none of them were able to establish themselves as the top choice. Former India all-rounder Yuvraj Singh believes that the team management should have taken care of the issue and pointed it out as the ‘major reason’ behind India not winning the competition.

“You have to identify what is the best talent available and then you have to back that talent. For e.g. me and Mohammad Kaif during the 2003 World Cup. Everybody was failing badly in New Zealand but almost the same team played in the 2003 World Cup. Cut to the 2019 WC team: I was dropped, then Manish Pandey came in, then after 1-2 more players KL (Rahul) was also tried, (Suresh) Raina came back and then they went with Rayudu who played for 8-9 months and scored a 90 in NZ.

“Before the WC, we lost to Australia and Rayudu had a bad tournament and suddenly Vijay Shankar came in. The selectors should have understood the importance of the No. 4 position, especially in England. Vijay Shankar and Rishabh Pant didn’t have that experience. Dinesh Karthik was an experienced guy but was sitting out and suddenly goes to bat in the semis. So I really didn’t understand the thinking. I think that was the main reason why India didn’t win the WC. I thought India and England were the best teams and there is no reason that India shouldn’t have played the final,” Yuvraj told Aaj Tak.

During the World Cup semi-final encounter against New Zealand, India restricted their opponents to 239/8. But chasing the modest 240 for a place in the final, India’s top order was blown away by the Kiwi bowlers led by Matt Henry (3/37) on the reserve day.India lost Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, KL Rahul, and Dinesh Karthik for just 24 runs inside 10 overs before Ravindra Jadeja (77) and Dhoni (50) shared a 116-run seventh wicket stand to raise hopes of an unlikely victory. However, it wasn’t enough in the end as India fell short by 18 runs.

Dhoni, who had pretty much batted at No. 5 all throughout the World Cup, was surprisingly sent in to bat after Dinesh Karthik and Hardik Pandya. Yuvraj said that he was taken aback by the decision and he believes that Dhoni should have batted higher up the order. “I was very surprised that MS came in to bat at No. 7. I felt that he should have batted higher being the most experienced. I don’t know what the team management thought. Anyways it’s done now,” said Yuvraj.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...-of-culture/story-ZLtPzKtt4x80cJ9UoXM40L.html

Good point by Yuvi.

Exactly what I had been trying to say.

India had failed to solve the issue of no.4 position. Rayudu was the only one who came close to solving that problem but honestly no one had enough confidence on him and hence why he was dropped.

Shankar came in place of him and he showed in those few games only that he was far from even decent to make it to the side.

Pant was brought then and he did fared decently as per his level(a 21 year old with 5 match experience and no backing in ODIs before WC). However, his game suits to no.5 or 6 more where he can come in with a set platform and take on the bowling.

Dhoni should have batted higher than 7 obviously.

Dubai: It’s been almost five months since an emotional Yuvraj Singh bid goodbye to any serious form of cricket, but the quintessential brave heart of Indian cricket seems to have come to terms with it rather well.

“Life has been good and stress-free since the retirement. It’s almost after 20 years that you are not waking up to face the rigour and the pressure of performing for the country,” he said during an exclusive chat with Gulf News on the sidelines of launching the Ultimate Kricket Challenge — a fun cricket event — in the company of West Indies great Chris Gayle.

Any conversation with him may often throw up a residual regret that he could have added value to the national team for some more time, but the 37-year-old has lined up his priorities right now — apart from being the driving force behind his YouWeCan Foundation, which works towards creating awareness and treatment of cancer, he loves to keep in touch with the game with overseas franchise leagues.

“It’s been a great journey with the foundation and a learning curve for me. We are now being able to provide treatment for five to six children in a year, who are below the poverty line while we have created programmes for scholarships for children whose parents have lost all their funds in this,” said ‘Yuvi,’ whose story of defeating a rare germ cell cancer soon after guiding India to the 2011 ICC World Cup is a part of sporting folklore now.

The thoughts about the foundation came to Yuvraj’s mind even while his treatment was on in the US and it took shape the very next year when Yuvraj and his mother Shabnam Singh — a pillar of strength in his life — decided to touch people’s lives with such an initiative. “In India, sourcing money for charity is not always easy as a lot of work is already being done in different fields. However, we have tied up with corporates for CSR funds and extended our work in the rural areas. There is still a lot to be done but we are moving in the right direction,” he noted.

The crowd-puller that the big-hitting Yuvraj was during his playing days, it came as no surprise that organisers of the franchise leagues around the world would like to flaunt them on their roster. In August, it was the Toronto Nationals for whom he walked out to bat in the Global T20 League in Canada while he would be sporting the colours of Maratha Arabians as their icon player in the Abu Dhabi T10 League in mid-November. He is again expected back in the UAE in mid-February for the Ultimate Kricket Challenge to take part in the unique concept of cage cricket.

“Playing in such leagues abroad is good fun, you meet the players — like me and Chris are here,” as the camaraderie between two of the biggest entertainers of contemporary cricket was much in evidence. “I am, of course, looking to bowl at KP in the Challenge here,” he said, in reference to the former England batsman’s past digs at him — calling Yuvraj a pie-chucker for his slow left-arm spin. Kevin Pietersen, alongwith Pakistan’s Shahid Afridi are some of the other marquee names who will be here for the February event.

Reflecting on Indian cricket, Yuvraj sounded particularly happy at the appointment of Sourav Ganguly — a captain and mentor to him — as the President of Indian cricket board. When reminded about his recent barb in the Indian media that the much-talked about yo-yo test (“Wish you were there when the yo-yo was in demand”), Yuvraj played it on the frontfoot again about how he was dropped from the team for failing the fitness test — a hurdle which he cleared later.

“Yes, I maintain that if Sourav would have been there, things would have been different. The yo-yo test (a brainchild of the Virat Kohli-Ravi Shastri regime) couldn’t have been an excuse if a player was performing to keep him out of reckoning,” he said in a reference to him not being considered for the national team despite performing well in the 2017 Champions Trophy.

“In Sourav, we have a former cricketer and a very successful captain who understands the needs of the players. I consider him to be a visionary and hope he looks after the state of domestic cricket as well,” Yuvraj said.

Only a few days back, he had lashed out against the BCCI for not having a reserve day at the Vijay Hazare Trophy — which saw Yuvraj’s state Punjab being knocked out in the quarter finals against Tamil Nadu after rains intervened and the Dinesh Karthik-led side went through by virtue of winning more group matches. “It was not fair,” he said. “The Vijay Hazare Trophy is the Ranji Trophy for ODIs — and the most important tournament after India’s one-dayers. I hope Dadi (Ganguly) can address such issues.”

https://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/...ng-curve-in-crusade-against-cancer-1.67537934

KARACHI: India’s former all-rounder Yuvraj Singh, in a video with Pakistan’s legendary all-rounder Shahid Afridi, praised the fans in Pakistan who sent their prayers to the hard-hitting batsman during his fight against cancer. The former all-rounder revealed that fans from Pakistan flooded his twitter profile with prayers during his treatment in the United States (US). “I still remember when I was in the US for treatment and Twitter was new at that time. I posted something about my treatment and loads of Pakistani people sent their prayers for me,” Yuvraj said. “It was a tough time for me. For a cricketer, remaining away from cricket is toughest.” The 30-year-old was diagnosed, in 2011, with a tumour of the lungs. The all-rounder recovered and represented his side in the international arena. The flamboyant all-rounder retired from the sport after featuring in 40 Tests, 304, ODIs and 58 T20Is for his country.

https://dailytimes.com.pk/551252/yuvraj-singh-praises-fans-in-pakistan-daily-times/

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 100.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/fqz61/iurxmp" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

His record won't reflect how impactful player he was. A very stylish strokemaker, brave in heart, a true team man, strong body language and without controversy , won a battle against cancer, above all he won world cup for India.

In what world? So is Pujara also a better overall cricketer than Yuvi?😂😂😂😂. Tell me one ICC tournament KP has won in ODI?

KP has won an ICC WorldT20 2010 and was man of the tournament.

Last edited:
2014 T20 WC, the only low point in his career. Anyway, happy retirement. ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiatoday.in/amp/sports/cricket/story/yuvraj-singh-retirement-worst-day-india-vs-sri-lanka-world-t20-2014-final-1546068-2019-06-10

To his first game 2000 CT throphy vs Aus

His 69 Natwest series 2002 vs Eng

His WC 2003 exploits

His memorable 2007 20-20 WC knocks

His 2011 WC exploits

And other important run chase knocks

One of India's biggest match winners, he was the man for the big occasion.

Last edited:
After Sachin, he was the next Indian player I'd make sure to watch every game I could. Even IPL, long after I'd lost interest in it.

Also watched his hundred vs Pak at the stadium :hamster:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yuvraj Singh "I remember when I was ill, I got a lot of love from Pakistani fans. I got love from Indian fans also but I also got the same from Pakistan and I would like to thank fans for that"</p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1224270540975808519?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 3, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Huge respect for Yuvraj Singh. He made us fans believe we could win against good teams. One of the original pioneers of the 3D play him along with Dhoni and Raina brought so much stability and winning instincts and not relying on the aging tendulkar , Laxman etc.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yuvraj Singh "I remember when I was ill, I got a lot of love from Pakistani fans. I got love from Indian fans also but I also got the same from Pakistan and I would like to thank fans for that"</p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1224270540975808519?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 3, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved his timing. Really, some shots even reminded me of Saeed Anwar level timing. OK fine, technically he was not that great, but his hand-eye and his timing were world class. Incredibly damaging limited overs cricketer when on song, especially against medium-pace. Hugely entertaining cricketer. One of my favourite Indian batsmen, probably only after Kohli, Tendulkar and Azharuddin in my book, in terms of aesthetic pleasure watching them bat.

If he was in his prime today, he would be an absolute giant in pancake wicket cricket.

A big match winner for India in LOIs.

Yuvraj and Dhoni always delivered against us. Remember so many games where this batting pair finish the game off against us.

Yuvraj is a freak in the sense he was so comfortable against pace bowling at any speed or ground. But he was so weak against off spinners. Infact, AFAIK he started the trend of Indian batsmen being weaker against spinner which they are never expected of as it is like dal, roti type easy affair for them. And he used to struggle against medium pace too. The faster they come the faster they go is how with his timing. Still remember how he handled Aus bowlers with ease in 2000 ICC KO trophy, in Kenya.

There haven’t been many Indian players that have played in overseas leagues. BCCI has a rule in place where they don’t allow active players to take part in overseas leagues. Players have to procure a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the BCCI to play in foreign leagues but they only get it after retiring from domestic and international cricket.

However, a report in the Sydney Morning Herald is claiming that fans could see one of India’s greatest limited-overs cricketers take part in Australia’s Big Bash League. It has been reported that Yuvraj Singh, who retired from international cricket last year, wants to take part in the T20 event.

The BBL is yet to see an Indian male cricketer’s participation since its inception, and with reports of a club’s eagerness to sign Yuvraj emerging, that could change soon. Yuvraj is free to play in any foreign league after he retired from international cricket and the IPL. He even received an NOC from the BCCI to play in Global T20 Canada last year.

Yuvraj’s manager Jason Warne of W Sports & Media confirmed that Cricket Australia was trying to find a franchise that would be interested in the 38-year-old former Indian cricketer. “We’re working with CA to try to find him a home,” Warne said on Monday.

It was said in the same report that interest in Yuvraj from BBL clubs is ‘modest’ at the moment. The 2011 World Cup player of the tournament’s push to join the BBL comes as Australian Cricketers’ Association president Shane Watson said that the inclusion of Indian players to the competition would be “incredible” for the competition.

“It would be incredible for them to be able to play in these tournaments. That is the ideal situation. There are so many world-class T20 players in India that aren’t playing for India that could be potentially available to play in the Big Bash and other tournaments around the world,” he had said. “If that’s able to happen, that would make a massive difference.”

Shane Warne had also wanted former India skipper MS Dhoni to take part in the ‘Hundred’ completion.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...ingh-report/story-gaUjf2ukFnvgmlj2LYJt0J.html

Indian talent must remain exclusive to IPL..

Retired players however are free to play other leagues.

At its peak, what a great match winner he was.

WT20 and WC'11 win won't have been possible without Yuvi.

At its peak, what a great match winner he was.

WT20 and WC'11 win won't have been possible without Yuvi.

I used to always think it would have been great if Yuvraj grilled his true potential and retired with numbers lime Lara, Kohli something.

But in 2020, I realise some players do not have be anyone else.

If Yuvraj was like Sachin then who would have been Yuvraj? Every player plays his role and Yuvraj certainly played his role. He won us two World cups playing his role and we would kill to have a player like him in the team again.

Just couldn’t stay away from cricket.” For Yuvraj Singh, the passion for the game meant that he was going to back himself for a second innings. To come out of retirement was not a laborious exercise for the dashing cricketer who was Player of the Tournament when India won the 2011 World Cup.

His retirement last year was driven by a sad feeling of “not being able to play regularly.”

“I was not happy when I retired. I was sick of not getting opportunities,” he told Sportstar.

The pandemic actually paved the way for Yuvraj’s return to competitive cricket. He was busy at his personal gym at home in Gurgaon and then he trained for two months at the Punjab Cricket Stadium in Mohali with the youngsters from the state.

“Abhishek (Sharma) and Shubman (Gill) wanted to pick my brains and I was too happy to share my experience. It was a good opportunity for me to return to the cricket field. They were not able to pick the lessons and I had to then demonstrate in the nets. It became easy for them to understand what I was driving at and I realised they were also quick in grasping the lessons. Just a few technical adjustments but basically mentoring,” said Yuvraj.

Spending time in the nets with the youngsters led Yuvraj to indulge in some batting sessions for himself. He enjoyed knocking the ball around. “I started nets regularly and also played matches with the boys. I had looked at coaching and mentoring them even as I played more of tennis and golf to stay fit,” added Yuvraj.

When the PCA secretary, Puneet Bali, requested Yuvraj to reconsider his decision to stay away from cricket, Yuvraj spoke to his mother (Shabnam Singh) and wife (Hazel Keech) and was told to do what he loved most. “Initially I was reluctant to accept the PCA offer but then I wanted to play again. The feel of the bat was so good. It brought back some fond memories. I was hitting a few sixes in the matches and that is what I loved always, hitting sixes. I picked the bat, hit some sixes, and decided I will play T20 format which suits my game more now."

Reflecting on the five-year period before he retired, Yuvraj said, “I and Bhajji (Harbhajan Singh) made every effort to help Punjab win a title. It was hard work for both of us but things did not work. I was also not motivated to continue playing and that prompted me to retire. Now I think one can make an earnest effort to help Punjab win the T20 title. The team has some awesome talent and I am looking forward to contributing.”

Citing the example of Sachin Tendulkar, he said, “I have always looked up to him. Always benefited from his advice! He always told me that we played cricket because we loved the game. I have followed that process. I have loved cricket and it has been my platform to express myself. I am not going to follow his advice to just go out and play cricket.”

Yuvraj Singh won the Player of the Tournament in World Cup 2011.

Admitting that he was “excited” at returning to the cricket field, Yuvraj said, “You can’t play cricket all your life but T20 is a brand you can play till 45. I will give myself one season and take a call. I will be a coach, mentor and a player. I want to do it for Punjab. It has given me so much.”

Yuvraj was also clear that he would not mind missing the foreign leagues. "I will obviously have to concentrate on Punjab. in any case, I can't play the foreign leagues according to BCCI rules and I don't mind it. My priority is to help Punjab."

Would he speak to Harbhajan Singh ? “I will certainly love to have him in the campaign with the youngsters to give Punjab a title. As far as I am concerned, I am just looking forward to picking up the bat and smashing some sixes. I have always loved hitting sixes,” Yuvraj, 38, signed off on a positive note.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/cric...bhajan-singh-cricket-news/article32563878.ece

A very Happy Birthday to Yuvraj Singh. He turned 39 today. What are the best memories you associate with Yuvraj.

Yuvi ki bohot yaad aaati hae.

He was one of the biggest heroes of our white ball teams. Absolute match winner and a it was a pleasure to watch his brutally elegant batting.

The Haryana Police on Sunday said cricketer Yuvraj Singh was arrested and released on bail in an alleged casteist remarks case in compliance with a high court order. Singh was accused of making casteist remarks against another cricketer during an Instagram chat last year.

Superintendent of Police (Hansi) Nitika Gahlaut said over the phone, "We only made a formal arrest and he was released on bail in compliance of the orders of the Punjab and Haryana High Court."

cWhile noting that the Haryana police is seeking only Singh's "formal arrest" in the case, the high court had last week directed that upon joining the probe with the investigating officer, if the cricketer is arrested, he would be released on interim bail upon furnishing bail and surety bonds.

The high court was listening to a plea by the cricketer seeking quashing of an FIR filed against him earlier this year under sections of the IPC and the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act based on a complaint by lawyer Rajat Kalsan at the Hansi Police Station in Hisar.

Kalsan had filed the police complaint last year, alleging that Singh's comment had hurt the sentiments of the Dalit community and a large number of people had watched the video on social media.

Expressing regret over the comments, Singh had earlier tweeted, "I understand that while I was having a conversation with my friends, I was misunderstood, which was unwarranted. However, as a responsible Indian I want to say that if I have unintentionally hurt anybody's sentiments or feelings, I would like to express regret for the same."

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...layer-released-on-interim-bail-reports/824286

<blockquote class="instagram-media" data-instgrm-captioned data-instgrm-permalink="https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVv7NX3DKjg/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading" data-instgrm-version="14" style=" background:#FFF; border:0; border-radius:3px; box-shadow:0 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5),0 1px 10px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.15); margin: 1px; max-width:540px; min-width:326px; padding:0; width:99.375%; width:-webkit-calc(100% - 2px); width:calc(100% - 2px);"><div style="padding:16px;"> <a href="https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVv7NX3DKjg/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading" style=" background:#FFFFFF; line-height:0; padding:0 0; text-align:center; text-decoration:none; width:100%;" target="_blank"> <div style=" display: flex; flex-direction: row; align-items: center;"> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; flex-grow: 0; height: 40px; margin-right: 14px; width: 40px;"></div> <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: column; flex-grow: 1; justify-content: center;"> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; margin-bottom: 6px; width: 100px;"></div> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; width: 60px;"></div></div></div><div style="padding: 19% 0;"></div> <div style="display:block; height:50px; margin:0 auto 12px; width:50px;"><svg width="50px" height="50px" viewBox="0 0 60 60" version="1.1" xmlns="https://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="https://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"><g stroke="none" stroke-width="1" fill="none" fill-rule="evenodd"><g transform="translate(-511.000000, -20.000000)" fill="#000000"><g><path d="M556.869,30.41 C554.814,30.41 553.148,32.076 553.148,34.131 C553.148,36.186 554.814,37.852 556.869,37.852 C558.924,37.852 560.59,36.186 560.59,34.131 C560.59,32.076 558.924,30.41 556.869,30.41 M541,60.657 C535.114,60.657 530.342,55.887 530.342,50 C530.342,44.114 535.114,39.342 541,39.342 C546.887,39.342 551.658,44.114 551.658,50 C551.658,55.887 546.887,60.657 541,60.657 M541,33.886 C532.1,33.886 524.886,41.1 524.886,50 C524.886,58.899 532.1,66.113 541,66.113 C549.9,66.113 557.115,58.899 557.115,50 C557.115,41.1 549.9,33.886 541,33.886 M565.378,62.101 C565.244,65.022 564.756,66.606 564.346,67.663 C563.803,69.06 563.154,70.057 562.106,71.106 C561.058,72.155 560.06,72.803 558.662,73.347 C557.607,73.757 556.021,74.244 553.102,74.378 C549.944,74.521 548.997,74.552 541,74.552 C533.003,74.552 532.056,74.521 528.898,74.378 C525.979,74.244 524.393,73.757 523.338,73.347 C521.94,72.803 520.942,72.155 519.894,71.106 C518.846,70.057 518.197,69.06 517.654,67.663 C517.244,66.606 516.755,65.022 516.623,62.101 C516.479,58.943 516.448,57.996 516.448,50 C516.448,42.003 516.479,41.056 516.623,37.899 C516.755,34.978 517.244,33.391 517.654,32.338 C518.197,30.938 518.846,29.942 519.894,28.894 C520.942,27.846 521.94,27.196 523.338,26.654 C524.393,26.244 525.979,25.756 528.898,25.623 C532.057,25.479 533.004,25.448 541,25.448 C548.997,25.448 549.943,25.479 553.102,25.623 C556.021,25.756 557.607,26.244 558.662,26.654 C560.06,27.196 561.058,27.846 562.106,28.894 C563.154,29.942 563.803,30.938 564.346,32.338 C564.756,33.391 565.244,34.978 565.378,37.899 C565.522,41.056 565.552,42.003 565.552,50 C565.552,57.996 565.522,58.943 565.378,62.101 M570.82,37.631 C570.674,34.438 570.167,32.258 569.425,30.349 C568.659,28.377 567.633,26.702 565.965,25.035 C564.297,23.368 562.623,22.342 560.652,21.575 C558.743,20.834 556.562,20.326 553.369,20.18 C550.169,20.033 549.148,20 541,20 C532.853,20 531.831,20.033 528.631,20.18 C525.438,20.326 523.257,20.834 521.349,21.575 C519.376,22.342 517.703,23.368 516.035,25.035 C514.368,26.702 513.342,28.377 512.574,30.349 C511.834,32.258 511.326,34.438 511.181,37.631 C511.035,40.831 511,41.851 511,50 C511,58.147 511.035,59.17 511.181,62.369 C511.326,65.562 511.834,67.743 512.574,69.651 C513.342,71.625 514.368,73.296 516.035,74.965 C517.703,76.634 519.376,77.658 521.349,78.425 C523.257,79.167 525.438,79.673 528.631,79.82 C531.831,79.965 532.853,80.001 541,80.001 C549.148,80.001 550.169,79.965 553.369,79.82 C556.562,79.673 558.743,79.167 560.652,78.425 C562.623,77.658 564.297,76.634 565.965,74.965 C567.633,73.296 568.659,71.625 569.425,69.651 C570.167,67.743 570.674,65.562 570.82,62.369 C570.966,59.17 571,58.147 571,50 C571,41.851 570.966,40.831 570.82,37.631"></path></g></g></g></svg></div><div style="padding-top: 8px;"> <div style=" color:#3897f0; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:550; line-height:18px;">View this post on Instagram</div></div><div style="padding: 12.5% 0;"></div> <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: row; margin-bottom: 14px; align-items: center;"><div> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(0px) translateY(7px);"></div> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; height: 12.5px; transform: rotate(-45deg) translateX(3px) translateY(1px); width: 12.5px; flex-grow: 0; margin-right: 14px; margin-left: 2px;"></div> <div style="background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; height: 12.5px; width: 12.5px; transform: translateX(9px) translateY(-18px);"></div></div><div style="margin-left: 8px;"> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 50%; flex-grow: 0; height: 20px; width: 20px;"></div> <div style=" width: 0; height: 0; border-top: 2px solid transparent; border-left: 6px solid #f4f4f4; border-bottom: 2px solid transparent; transform: translateX(16px) translateY(-4px) rotate(30deg)"></div></div><div style="margin-left: auto;"> <div style=" width: 0px; border-top: 8px solid #F4F4F4; border-right: 8px solid transparent; transform: translateY(16px);"></div> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; flex-grow: 0; height: 12px; width: 16px; transform: translateY(-4px);"></div> <div style=" width: 0; height: 0; border-top: 8px solid #F4F4F4; border-left: 8px solid transparent; transform: translateY(-4px) translateX(8px);"></div></div></div> <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: column; flex-grow: 1; justify-content: center; margin-bottom: 24px;"> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; margin-bottom: 6px; width: 224px;"></div> <div style=" background-color: #F4F4F4; border-radius: 4px; flex-grow: 0; height: 14px; width: 144px;"></div></div></a><p style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;"><a href="https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVv7NX3DKjg/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading" style=" color:#c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px; text-decoration:none;" target="_blank">A post shared by Yuvraj Singh (@yuvisofficial)</a></p></div></blockquote> <script async src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js"></script>

One of the best middle order batsmen in LOIs. I wish we had someone like him in our middle order
He was way better than Hafeez and Malik.

The Six Sixes anniversary today

Oh Boy, Those sixes were fab. Those sixes just changed the whole career of Broad. He became an absolute beast of a test match bowler rather than a white bowl bowler.

Legends Cricket Trophy 2024: Yuvraj Singh To Lead Babar Azam As He Is Named Captain Of New York Superstar Strikers

Former India player Yuvraj Singh will be back on the cricket field as he has decided to captain New York Superstar Strikers in the upcoming season of Legends Cricket Trophy. Yuvraj has also become the icon player for the team. The inclusion of Yuvraj significantly boosts the squad's capabilities, bringing in a wealth of experience, talent, and leadership qualities, thereby strengthening the New York Superstar Strikers' preparedness to excel in the forthcoming tournament.

Yuvraj will lead the team including Pakistan's superstar batter Babar Azam and Afghanistan all-rounder Rashid Khan. Keiron Pollard, Imam Ul Haq, Naseem Shah, Matheesha Pathirana, Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Asif Ali and Mohammad Amir also feature in this team.

Source: Zee News

Yuvraj Singh named ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 Ambassador

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has announced India legend Yuvraj Singh as an ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 Ambassador, with just 36 days to go until the pinnacle global event for T20 cricket gets underway.

Yuvraj, who famously hit 36 runs in an over during the first ever T20 World Cup in 2007 which he and India ultimately won, will attend a range of exciting World Cup promotional events in the United States in the lead-up to and during the T20 showpiece, including the highly anticipated India versus Pakistan fixture in New York on 9 June.

Yuvraj Singh, ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2007 champion, said: "Some of my fondest cricketing memories have come from playing at the T20 World Cup, including hitting six sixes in an over, so it’s very exciting to be part of this edition, which is set to be the biggest one yet.

“The West Indies is a great place to play cricket with the fans coming to watch creating a vibe that is completely unique to that part of the world, while cricket is also expanding in the USA and I’m excited to be part of that growth through the T20 World Cup.

“India’s clash against Pakistan in New York is going to be one of the biggest sporting fixtures in the world this year, so it’s a privilege to be a part of and to witness the best players in the world playing in a new stadium.”

Claire Furlong, ICC General Manager - Marketing & Communications, said: “It’s an honour to have Yuvraj as an ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Ambassador. His name is synonymous with the T20 World Cup, owning one of the event’s most iconic moments when he became the first player to hit six sixes in a T20 International. He joins Chris Gayle and Usain Bolt as the first ambassadors to be announced, who will each add to the excitement of what will be the biggest T20 World Cup ever.”

The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup will be played from 1-29 June with co-hosts USA taking on Canada in the opening fixture at Grand Prairie Stadium in Texas. A total of 55 matches will be played by 20 teams across 9 venues, culminating in the final on 29 June in Barbados.

The historic first match at the Nassau County International Cricket Stadium will be played on 3 June between 2014 champions Sri Lanka and South Africa with 10 teams to feature across eight matches in New York.

ICC

Back