Zaka Ashraf steps down as PCB Management Committee chairman

How would you describe the Zaka Ashraf tenure as Interim Chairman of the PCB Management Committee?

• Total voters

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Fourth PCB Management Committee meeting held

Lahore, 19 January 2024:

Mr Zaka Ashraf chaired the fourth meeting of the Pakistan Cricket Board’s Management Committee (MC) on Friday at the National Cricket Academy in Lahore. Among the ten members of the committee, one member, Mr Khurram Karim Somroo joined the meeting online.

The remaining nine members – Mr Kalim Ullah Khan, Mr Ashfaq Akhtar, Mr Muhammad Mussadiq Islam, Mr Azmat Pervez, Mr Zaheer Abbas, Mr Khawaja Nadeem, Mr Mustafa Ramday, ASC, Mr Zulfiqar Malik and Mr Zaka Ashraf (chair) – were present in person.

Members were briefed on PCB affairs and financial matters. The CFO presented periodic Management Accounts and financial projections for the remaining current fiscal year.

Chairman MC Mr Zaka Ashraf provided a summary of the milestones achieved during the tenure of the current MC which was constituted in the first week of July. These include:

• There is a significant increase in PCB contributions from the ICC

• BCCI delegation visited Pakistan for first time since 2008

• Pakistan won the Emerging Asia Cup (Pakistan Shaheens) and away Test series against Sri Lanka

• Pakistan regained the No.1 ODI spot in ICC rankings

• Pakistan hosted Asia Cup after 15 years

• Up to 80 women's domestic contracts offered for the first time

• Pakistan women won the T20I series against South Africa 3-0 for the first time

• Pakistan women's team won T20I series against New Zealand for the first time

• Media Rights and Live-streaming Rights for HBL Pakistan Super League 9 & 10 were tendered and yielded the highest offers ever

• Service Level Agreement signed with DineticQ, subsidiary of Loughborough University for integration of science, artificial intelligence, and bio mechanics in Pakistan’s cricket ecosystem

• MoU executed with Middlesex County Cricket Club (MCCC) for collaboration on multiple projects for cricket development

• Understanding reached with Cricket Australia for player development, strategic alliance between HBL PSL-BBL, Curator training programs, and reciprocal tours for Men and Women junior cricket

He thanked members of the MC, the PCB management, and staff for their support during this tenure. Members of the MC and the PCB management expressed their gratitude to the Chairman MC for his leadership.

At the end of the meeting, Mr Zaka Ashraf announced that he had decided to tender his resignation as chairman and member of the MC to the honourable Patron Caretaker Prime Minister Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar.

In his concluding remarks, Mr Zaka Ashraf, thanked the honourable Patron PCB for the confidence and trust reposed by him and extended his best wishes and prayers for the betterment of Pakistan and Pakistan cricket.

=============================================

I think it was the right decision. His tenure is considered to be the worst period for Pakistan cricket. What do you think? And now, who should be the next PCB chairman?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Riddance. The guy was an absolute panoti for our Cricket.

Najam Sethi was much more competent compared to this clown and that is saying something.

PPP appointments need to kept away from all Pakistani Institutions.

People come as the chairman , make some money and lots of benefits and leave , ruining Pakistan cricket , but who cares.

Does he still have a role in the PCB or is he gone completely?

He had one job, inject PPP people in PCB. It is done and Mission is now accomplished.

Good riddance, not a moment too soon.

From milking foreign trips to giving jobs to unqualified ex-cricketers simply because they made noise on TV to leaking his captain's messages on air - his tenure was one of the most inept and self-serving even by the rotten standards of PCB Chairmen.

If Ramiz Raja, Misbah, Waqar, Saqlain or someone of this ilk returns…

Please no Ramiz Raja return. Please God no!

What bro, Under his one year tenure, we have seen lows of decades.
He did some brilliant work. He stepped up and removed Babar from captaincy, Pakistan’s most popular and powerful captain that was dictating Pakistani cricket for the wrong cause.

He stepped up and exposed the Mafia of agents that were controlling Pakistan cricket from within

Just for this, he deserves a lot of credit and respect.

Dirt in the bin, hopefully some sanehead will take over
Who? Who in Pakistan is sane?

This is a jungle. Only those who know how to survive in the jungle can take these positions. There is no such thing as working with the right intentions in these positions

Who? Who in Pakistan is sane?

This is a jungle. Only those who know how to survive in the jungle can take these positions. There is no such thing as working with the right intentions in these positions
Why not bring back Wasim Khan

Why not bring back Wasim Khan
What was it that the ex foreign minister said?

“Deep pockets”

That’s what you to dish out for him. He will demand a UK 6 figure salary. What is Pakistan’s budget? They cant afford a proper coach these days

“Deep pockets”

That’s what you to dish out for him. He will demand a UK 6 figure salary. What is Pakistan’s budget? They cant afford a proper coach these days
Not many credible person in local setup, if you go with ex bureaucrat or journalist they will have their own agenda that leaves us to some politician or Servicemen which means Allah Hafiz Pakistan cricket.
There should be some way that ICC appoints PCB chairman and makes Lalit Modi the next boss , have more faith in him than all mentioned above

From milking foreign trips to giving jobs to unqualified ex-cricketers simply because they made noise on TV to leaking his captain's messages on air - his tenure was one of the most inept and self-serving even by the rotten standards of PCB Chairmen.
He was miles worse than ramiz and that says a lot.

Good Riddance. The guy was an absolute panoti for our Cricket.

Najam Sethi was much more competent compared to this clown and that is saying something.

PPP appointments need to kept away from all Pakistani Institutions.
Sethi's recent tenure was abysmal as well.

This reminds me of Josh Hazlewood’s respectful way of asking who is the 3rd umpire in french

Good riddance. Probably knew he was going to get the boot soon after the elections. So his mission was to leech on PCB's funds to get leisure trips around the world and watch every single match of Pak in the stadia. Hoping we never get to see this clown in PCB setup again.

Need to hire someone with a background in economics or banking/accounting with minimal political affiliations but that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Good riddance. Probably knew he was going to get the boot soon after the elections. So his mission was to leech on PCB's funds to get leisure trips around the world and watch every single match of Pak in the stadia. Hoping we never get to see this clown in PCB setup again.

Need to hire someone with a background in economics or banking/accounting with minimal political affiliations but that's just wishful thinking on my part.
If they hired on merit everything would transform. Corruption is the only reason PCB is dysfunctional.

If they hired on merit everything would transform. Corruption is the only reason PCB is dysfunctional.
I keep asking, what is the definition of hiring on Merit?

There is no such thing as merit. No one approves of appointments that are not in accordance to their political favouring.

I keep asking, what is the definition of hiring on Merit?

There is no such thing as merit. No one approves of appointments that are not in accordance to their political favouring.
Both RR and Ehsan Mani were hired on merit, neither were owed or gave favours to IK or the PTI. M Wasim was hired on merit and look at his reign with the pathetic levels since. You confuse your immortality and support for criminals with how IK operated as PM.

Fourth PCB Management Committee meeting held

Lahore, 19 January 2024:

Mr Zaka Ashraf chaired the fourth meeting of the Pakistan Cricket Board’s Management Committee (MC) on Friday at the National Cricket Academy in Lahore. Among the ten members of the committee, one member, Mr Khurram Karim Somroo joined the meeting online.

The remaining nine members – Mr Kalim Ullah Khan, Mr Ashfaq Akhtar, Mr Muhammad Mussadiq Islam, Mr Azmat Pervez, Mr Zaheer Abbas, Mr Khawaja Nadeem, Mr Mustafa Ramday, ASC, Mr Zulfiqar Malik and Mr Zaka Ashraf (chair) – were present in person.

Members were briefed on PCB affairs and financial matters. The CFO presented periodic Management Accounts and financial projections for the remaining current fiscal year.

Chairman MC Mr Zaka Ashraf provided a summary of the milestones achieved during the tenure of the current MC which was constituted in the first week of July. These include:

• There is a significant increase in PCB contributions from the ICC

• BCCI delegation visited Pakistan for first time since 2008

• Pakistan won the Emerging Asia Cup (Pakistan Shaheens) and away Test series against Sri Lanka

• Pakistan regained the No.1 ODI spot in ICC rankings

• Pakistan hosted Asia Cup after 15 years

• Up to 80 women's domestic contracts offered for the first time

• Pakistan women won the T20I series against South Africa 3-0 for the first time

• Pakistan women's team won T20I series against New Zealand for the first time

• Media Rights and Live-streaming Rights for HBL Pakistan Super League 9 & 10 were tendered and yielded the highest offers ever

• Service Level Agreement signed with DineticQ, subsidiary of Loughborough University for integration of science, artificial intelligence, and bio mechanics in Pakistan’s cricket ecosystem

• MoU executed with Middlesex County Cricket Club (MCCC) for collaboration on multiple projects for cricket development

• Understanding reached with Cricket Australia for player development, strategic alliance between HBL PSL-BBL, Curator training programs, and reciprocal tours for Men and Women junior cricket

He thanked members of the MC, the PCB management, and staff for their support during this tenure. Members of the MC and the PCB management expressed their gratitude to the Chairman MC for his leadership.

At the end of the meeting, Mr Zaka Ashraf announced that he had decided to tender his resignation as chairman and member of the MC to the honourable Patron Caretaker Prime Minister Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar.

In his concluding remarks, Mr Zaka Ashraf, thanked the honourable Patron PCB for the confidence and trust reposed by him and extended his best wishes and prayers for the betterment of Pakistan and Pakistan cricket.

=============================================

I think it was the right decision. His tenure is considered to be the worst period for Pakistan cricket. What do you think? And now, who should be the next PCB chairman?
So back to you Sethi and your Whats app and face time coach.

Both RR and Ehsan Mani were hired on merit, neither were owed or gave favours to IK or the PTI. M Wasim was hired on merit and look at his reign with the pathetic levels since. You confuse your immortality and support for criminals with how IK operated as PM.
There you go guys

Merit is what the ardent follower of a particular party believes is merit because the appointment was done by their party.

That’s the definition of merit.

Problems not the chairman the gulf between Pak domestic & internationals is huge.

When you pit azam & Ifty against starc & co it’s going to be a bloodbath!

“Deep pockets”

But you can see why he demands the salary. He is qualified man that is much in demand but the local chaprasi " journalists wanted free trips more than a successful team and lest you forget they heavily influenced losers on here

And done all this with no shame. A pathetic clown appointed to please AZ and his desire to repay him for services rendered. And now it is musical chairs with Sethi going to be rewarded for his services to NS and those romantic trips on the Thames

There you go guys

Merit is what the ardent follower of a particular party believes is merit because the appointment was done by their party.

Ehsan Mani was the chairman of the ICC before he was chairman of the PCB, did IK appoint him to that post. RR was a international player with an MBA, he was 1st appointed by Tauqir Zia in an unpaid post in 2004, did IK appoint him. Have they given any services to IK,has RR met the Generals to get a deal for IK, has RR even met IK since he has been prison? There is big difference but you have great difficulty accepting that your guys are appointed for services rendered

Pakistan cricket is a laughing stock.

It's an absolute shambles.

Day by day, the quality of players and the people running the game is dwindling.
Its not just cricket- our cricket reflects the state of the nation. Only 2 years ago,Most PKs could proudly say IK was our PM and look now, we are about to get a duffer who cant string a sentence togther and is convicted crook

How do I apply? I will get rid of all tuktuk defensive mindset tactics! Specially Misbah. I will close all doors for him so his generation wouldn’t be able to come join our Pakistan cricket team

There you go guys

Comon we all know PMLN and PPP are family run mafias. There is nothing they do which is on merit.

Comon we all know PMLN and PPP are family run mafias. There is nothing they do which is on merit.
So what merit do you expect now? Is anything they will do that justifies merit? They are in power for the foreseeable future

Bring back RR, rare combination of a MBA qualified and Ex-captain who always been involved with international cricket , even as commentator.

Bring back RR, rare combination of a MBA qualified and Ex-captain who always been involved with international cricket , even as commentator.
the problem is he has never practiced. He always remained attached to cricket. So his business administration is pretty much similar to a newbie in that field in that regard. Need someone who has years of experience of working in that capacity in any industry/institution etc.

How do I apply? I will get rid of all tuktuk defensive mindset tactics! Specially Misbah. I will close all doors for him so his generation wouldn’t be able to come join our Pakistan cricket team

Ok I’ll bite.

Who would be in your XI for the WC this summer?

Timeline starting from now.

Zaka Ashraf RESIGNS.

Pakistan Elections take place.

Nawaz Sharif is the new puppet PM.

Najam Sethi is appointed as Chairman of PCB.

All the coaches are replaced apart from the fielding coach, Majeed.

Pakistan Win the WT20.

Fast Forward 3 years, 1 year before the next elections.

Nawaz Sharif is voted out from a VONC.

Sethi RESIGNS

New Caretaker PM is affiliated with PPP.

Zaka Ashraf returns as the PCB chairman.

Thank you for the memories Zaka Ashraf and co.

Excellent way of removing Pakistan’s most selfish, self serving and dishonest captain in history, by making him jump before being pushed.

Sadly, people will just see you in the wrong light.

I cannot emphasis how much I appreciate Zaka Ashraf exposing the player agency cancer in Pakistan cricket.

Thank you Zaka sir, at least this service of yours will never ever be allowed to be forgotten by me.

RR had a lot of failures (overseeing the talent drain due the regional domestic format, as well as the home losses against Eng and Aus). But he's not a career politician. He knows the game and thinks out of the box (PJL, which unearthed U19 talent). I would still much rather have RR at the helm than anyone else.

It's not like we are flooded with local qualified sports administrators in the country.

I cannot emphasis how much I appreciate Zaka Ashraf exposing the player agency cancer in Pakistan cricket.

Thank you Zaka sir, at least this service of yours will never ever be allowed to be forgotten by me.
Yes, but has it made much of a difference?

The biggest cancer is the low value placed on our domestic cricket. Find me an administrator who can put money into that so that our star players give back to our own country instead of other countries' pajama franchise leagues.

He has to be a corrupt guy to be in a political party for so long, so I'm glad he is out.

So seems Ashraf felt he had no control!

==

Ashraf left the post after a management committee meeting in Lahore on Friday.

"We can't work with our hands tied, so I am resigning from the post," Ashraf told local media. "I wanted to do work for the betterment of cricket in Pakistan."

Any sense of structure and professionalism built by Mani & Wasim have been destroyed to shreds.

At the end of the day, none of these people actually care about improving Pakistan's cricket, its all about doing things they can get recognized or claim fame for. It's a clownish game of musical chairs where bunch of these old unqualified keep rotating and taking their turns to further destroy Pakistan cricket. Until this vicious cycle breaks, it will be the same ol' no matter how many coaches/selectors/players are made to be the sacrificial lambs.

I can’t even keep up any more.

They change chairmen and coaches faster than people change their clothes. What a bizarre state of affairs.

No wonder the team is all over the place right now.

Missing the Ehsan Mani and Wasim Khan combination. Atleast there was hope when these guys were in charge. They didn't tamper with the home pitches and Pakistan won against Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, South Africa on some seaming and spinning wickets.

Najam Sethi coming back for sure for a longish tenure. Let's see which foreign coach he can convince to join.

Back