Zaka Ashraf steps down as PCB Management Committee chairman

How would you describe the Zaka Ashraf tenure as Interim Chairman of the PCB Management Committee?

• Total voters
PCB should be run as a sole entity by a management company with they're own independently selected chairman that has no efiliatiinion or ties to any political parties within Pakistan

1706079333940.png

The Election Commissioner assumes charge at PCB

Lahore, 24 January 2024:

Mr Shah Khawar, Advocate of the Supreme Court of Pakistan and the Election Commissioner of PCB, has assumed the powers of Chairman PCB.

According to the notification dated 23 January 2024 from the Inter-Provincial Coordination (IPC) Ministry and by virtue of Article 7(2) of the PCB Constitution the Election Commissioner is vested with the powers of Chairman PCB.

Mr Shah Khawar: “I would like to thank the Patron of the PCB, Mr Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar, for reposing trust in me. My primary responsibility will be to hold the election of Chairman PCB in a free and transparent manner at the earliest.”

PCB​

Chairman PCB Mr Shah Khawar conducts press conference

Lahore, 26 January 2024:
Mr Shah Khawar, Advocate of the Supreme Court of Pakistan and the Election Commissioner of PCB, who assumed the powers of Chairman PCB earlier this week held a press conference today at Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore today.

Mr Shah Khawar: “I would like to welcome you all here and start of by saying that before assuming the charge of chairman PCB this week, I was earlier appointed as Chief Election Commissioner of PCB for period of three months – the tenure of which is supposed to end on 4 February. My primary responsibility is to constitute of a Board of Governors and hold elections for the post of chairman.”

“It is worth mentioning that we were earlier confronted with a serious problem because of a restraining order of the Balochistan High Court which prohibited the formation of a new Board of Governors (BoG). However, we were able to convince the Balochistan High Court to dismiss that writ petition and the restraining order altogether. After this, I approached the Management Committee and its chairman and urged them to hold elections in light of this new development.

“Apart from that my appointment as Election Commissioner itself had been challenged in the Lahore High Court. The writ petition stated that I could not fulfil my duties in this capacity since I was a professional lawyer and had to have license suspended to take up charge as Election Commissioner PCB.

“Moreover the outgoing Management Committee had called a meeting on 16 January wherein the formation of the BoG and elections of the chairman were to be discussed. However, the IPC Ministry called off that meeting stating that the Management Committee did not have the authority to constitute the Board of Governors.”

“After this, the previous Chairman Management Committee Mr Zaka Ashraf resigned and I had to take charge of the office of the chairman. Following this, Prime Minster Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar who is also the patron of PCB granted me an extension for an additional one month. My responsibility is to hold elections and constitute a board of governors at the earliest.”

On the process of electing the PCB Chairman, Mr Shah Khawar said: “The Prime Minister is the patron of the PCB and has the authority to nominate two members in the BoG which he has already done. The PCB constitution does not disallow the caretaker Chief Minister to assume his duties as BoG member. The chairman office is not an office of profit.

“According to the constitution, the election commissioner is empowered and responsible for holding the elections at the due time. The constitution says that normally whenever a BoG is dissolved, elections are supposed to be held within four months and the elections commissioner authorised to perform duties of the chairman for the interim period. This setup will remain till 3 February and then hand over power to the elected officials.

“Election of the PCB Chairman depends on the constituitio0n of the Board of Governors; if we are able to do it tomorrow, we can hold elections within one week. 8 February [the day of General Elections] is not a benchmark for us.”

Shedding light on his duties in the current role, Mr Shah Khawar stated: “My job is to oversee the day-to-day affairs. Some of the contracts of certain officials are already expiring. If it is necessary, we might make some short-term appointments within our limits.

“The cricket administration has already started the process of holding HBL PSL in which the interior ministry is involved and is in liaison with the PCB.”

Regarding his meeting with Director Pakistan Men’s Cricket Team Mohammad Hafeez, Mr Shah Khawar said: “Hafeez met us along with chief selector Wahab Riaz and Chief Operating Officer Salman Naseer and we had a general discussion regarding the team’s performances in Australia and New Zealand. He will furnish a formal report assessing the team’s performances and reasons for defeats in the Test and T20I series.

“On the issue of granting NOCs to players to participate in franchise leagues, the PCB has the policy of giving centrally contracted players permission to attain NOC for a maximum of two leagues apart from HBL PSL over the course of a year. Their first priority has to be to play for Pakistan and all centrally contracted players must adhere to this.”
PCB

I watched his press conference. Very sober and well explained person who walked us through what is happening instead of the lofty over the top talk of Sethi and Zaka. Shows the difference between a professional individual versus performer.

I’m tempted to just let Shah Khawar stay on as chairman.

If ICC can strip SLC from hosting the U19 WC on account of government interference, what's there to prevent them from similarly stripping the Champions Trophy from us next year?

Of course they can always do it under the ruse of co-hosting with other countries the way ODI Asia Cup 2023 was.

PCB Board of Governors formed

Lahore, 27 January 2024:

The PCB announces the composition of Board of Governors (BoG) in accordance with Paragraph 10 of the PCB Constitution 2014. The Board of Governors now stands as follows:

1. Mr Mustafa Ramday (PCB Patron’s nominee)

2. Mr Syed Mohsin Raza Naqvi (PCB Patron’s nominee)

3. Mr Sajjad Ali Khokhar, President Regional Cricket Association AJK

4. Mr Zafarullah Jadgal, President Regional Cricket Association Dera Murad Jamali

5. Mr Tanveer Ahmed, President Regional Cricket Association Larkana

6. Mr Tariq Sarwar, President Regional Cricket Association Bahawalpur

7. Representative of Sui Northern Gas Pipeline Limited (SNGPL)

8. Representative of State Bank of Pakistan (SBP)

9. Representative of Ghani Glass Limited

10. Representative of Pakistan Television Corporation (PTV)

11. Secretary to the Government of Pakistan, Ministry of Inter Provincial Coordination, or any other officer nominated by him as an ex-officio member (Non-voting member)

PCB

Alhamdolillah, no PTI nominee for the PCB chairman’s office.

I have no issues with how PTI want to contest in Pakistani government and politics, but I have learned that for my personal stake in the game as a cricket fan, I wan PTI to be kept far, far away from cricket administration!

Alhamdolillah, no PTI nominee for the PCB chairman’s office.

I have no issues with how PTI want to contest in Pakistani government and politics, but I have learned that for my personal stake in the game as a cricket fan, I wan PTI to be kept far, far away from cricket administration!

Sorry but that is as blatant as it gets - don't bring in your bias on cricket forums.

Sorry but that is as blatant as it gets - don't bring in your bias on cricket forums.
Yes I openly admit I am a strong opponent of PTI administration in cricket. That’s something I have come to terms with.

I have no problem with them running for government but the constitution of Pakistan should not allow them to interfere in the PCB matters. That’s my God honest personal view.

Pakistan Cricket Board To Have Full-Time Chairman Next Month: ReportThe PCB has had three chairmen in less than three years. Ramiz Raja took charge in September 2021 and he was followed by Najam Sethi and Zaka Ashraf.

Zaka Ashraf's replacement as PCB chairman is likely to be announced soon

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) will have a new chairman next month and Punjab province's caretaker chief minister Mohsin Naqvi is the front-runner for that post, according to sources. With the tenure of the interim management committee which has run the Board affairs since December 2022 coming to an end on February 4, the process to elect the new chairman of the Board of Governors (BoG) of the PCB will take place after that.

“The PCB should have a new chairman (Mohsin Naqvi) after the general elections (in Pakistan) on 8th February,” the PCB source told PTI.

The PCB had announced on Saturday that the election commissioner and acting PCB Chairman Shah Khawar had finalised the BoG which will elect the new chairman.

Pakistan's caretaker prime minister Anwar ul Haq Kakar, the Patron-in-Chief of the Board, has nominated Mohsin Naqvi on the BoG. Another candidate of the PM, Mustafa Ramday is also on the BoG.

According to the source, Naqvi can only assume charge as elected chairman of the PCB after he relinquishes his position as caretaker chief minister of Punjab which can only happen after the general elections.

“But the path is now clear for electing a new chairman and until then the acting chairman and BoG will run Board affairs,” he said.

The PCB has had three chairmen in less than three years. Ramiz Raja took charge in September 2021 and he was followed by Najam Sethi and Zaka Ashraf.

Amid the frequent changes in the top brass of the Board, the national team's performance also dip badly in recent times with Test series defeat in Australia and T20I series loss in New Zealand.

Source: NDTV

During a recent interview with a local sports platform, former Pakistan cricketer Aamer Sohail voiced his discontent with the leadership changes within PCB:

"The biggest reason for the turmoil in Pakistan cricket is that those who have no experience of running a sporting body, want to be on the cricket board for the limelight and other benefits; they just want to be there. Because of their wrong decisions, Pakistan cricket suffers. I am not talking only about the cricket board as sports overall in Pakistan is hurt badly. Hockey used to be right up there, and just look where it is now. So, I think the authority needs to form a committee, a sports council, which will asses everything and give them a mandate on how to operate in a better way."

"I think there is no effect on the Pakistani players apart from the monetary benefits. The Pakistan Super League is a big brand and they are featuring in Big Bash, BPL and they are being sought by different leagues around the world. So, I don't think it is hurting Pakistan cricket if they are not participating in the IPL."

Mohsin Naqvi being rewarded for his performance as Punjab CM.

Lastest from the PCB, let's see who gets elected:

Special meeting of BoG called by Election Commissioner to elect Chairman PCB

Lahore, 29 January 2024: Election Commissioner Mr Shah Khawar has summoned a special meeting of the Board of Governors (BoG) for the election of the Chairman of Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) at 2pm on Tuesday, 6 February 2024 to be held at National Cricket Academy Lahore (NCA).

The notice of the meeting is issued as per the provisions of the constitution of the Pakistan Cricket Board 2014. It is mandatory for all the members of the BoG to attend the meeting in person.

The Board of Governors is listed as below:
1. Mr Mustafa Ramday (PCB Patron’s nominee)
2. Mr Syed Mohsin Raza Naqvi (PCB Patron’s nominee)
3. Mr Sajjad Ali Khokhar, President Regional Cricket Association AJK
4. Mr Zafarullah Jadgal, President Regional Cricket Association Dera Murad Jamali
5. Mr Tanveer Ahmed, President Regional Cricket Association Larkana
6. Mr Tariq Sarwar, President Regional Cricket Association Bahawalpur
7. Mr Muhammad Ismail Qureshi, Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited
8. Dr Anwaar Ahmad Khan, Ghani Glass Limited
9. Mr Javed Iqbal, State Bank of Pakistan
10. Mr Osama Azhar, Pakistan Television
11. Secretary to the Government of Pakistan, Ministry of Inter Provincial Coordination, or any other officer nominated by him as an ex-officio member (Non-voting member)

Back