“I can just tell you guys right now, prepare for a much more organized Pakistan team": AB de Villiers on Gary Kirsten’s appointment

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
AB de Villiers speaking, about Gary Kirsten's appointment as Head Coach of Pakistan white-ball team, on his youtube channel:

“I’ve played under him (Gary Kirsten). He’s a very inspirational character. He’s an absolute legend of the game, a legend of South African Cricket. He’s quoted as saying that he feels he has the ability and the opportunity to change players and to have a huge impact on that team. The proposition to work with some of the best cricketers in the world was appealing to me.”

“I can just tell you guys right now, prepare for a much more organized Pakistan team. Prepare for some individuals who will truly step up their games and explode as cricketers, and probably announce themselves on the world stage, taking their games to the next level. Pakistan will be a team to contend with. They are a very good side, especially in white ball cricket, and I’m expecting them to knock on the door of knockouts in the T20 World Cup.”​

Don't think Gary Kirsten can work miracles on such short notice, certainly not in the present circumstances. He must be given more powers than Babar

Our players refuse to take responsibility for themselves when they have fans screaming for their inclusions despite zero performances.

Gary is going to lose his mind dealing with this toxic culture.

The best he can do is create an effective strategy where Pakistan can utilize their strengths to win games.

All depends on our selectors

They need to give good material for Kirsten to work with.

The pakistan team is supposedly organised….

We are still mediocre.

We need a reckless Pakistan team to beak the shackles in batting at least!

Don't think Gary Kirsten can work miracles on such short notice, certainly not in the present circumstances. He must be given more powers than Babar
If Gary agrees to stay with the Pakistan for at least 4 years then sure. If he is going to go back to IPL after a two year stint, then it is pointless.

You can’t give ultimate powers to individuals on short-term stints. It almost never works in any field.

I am sure he will get into the culture of Pakistan, but Pakistan will not follow his philosophy.

I am sure he will get into the culture of Pakistan, but Pakistan will not follow his philosophy.
His T20 philosophy suits Pakistan. They will happily comply with it.

He’s not a Trevor Bayliss or Brendon McCullum

His T20 philosophy suits Pakistan. They will happily comply with it.

He’s not a Trevor Bayliss or Brendon McCullum
Do you mean he will support Fakhar Zaman to play at batting positions number 4 or 5?

The pakistan team is supposedly organised….

We are still mediocre.

We need a reckless Pakistan team to beak the shackles in batting at least!

Think its organized for Babar.

What it needs is a proper organization under a 3rd (not interested) party

Please proceed.
Ok. First of all, the statement was made by AB. He has usually never been critical of Babar and Rizwan, it’s not his bone to pick. He knows what to say on social media to make sure he’s on good terms with everyone.

Yes, G Kirsten has a reputation of being an organised tactician. He is the equivalent of Massimiliano Allegri when it comes to the cricket world of coaching. Same kind of reputation and demeanour. He doesn’t say much, he doesn’t want to be in the limelight. Just quietly goes about his business, with a set plan. Thorough professional.

Now the issue here is, AB IMO is wrong in saying Pakistan will be much more organised under Kirsten. Well, yes. But this isn’t to say Pakistan were not organised before this. It seems as if AB is also now waking up to Pakistan Cricket now that one the premier South African names are associated with it. This isn’t like Pakistan appointing Morne Morkel or Dale Steyn as it’s coaches just on their reputation as players, no. This is one of the BIGGEST names in the coaching world, and a person who was actually a fantastically organised player in his time as well.

Pakistan’s strategy before Kirsten was organised as you say, around Babar Azam…and a beneficiary is his mate Mohammad Rizwan. I have theories which are politically related as to why I believe the organisation and structuring of this side revolves around trying to make Rizwan work…they are based on Politics and agendas. But that’s my own thing and I don’t want to enforce it here.

I completely agree with your assessment. The organisation was there to (roughly):

A) try and restrict to 160
B) Opener A and B can casually stroll to the total by aiming for 110 in 14 overs (around 8 an over including 36 powerplay balls)

Some of the key components of this organised approach is to play 2 guys who have balls per six ratios of 30+ balls as T20 openers. In Babar’s case, it is close to 50+ balls per six. Only Pakistan cricket take this risk free approach in world cricket, and they are doing this whilst guys like Fakhar, Saim and Usman Khan (also Sahibzada Farhan) have been adjusted in middle order positions. So, this is a definite, ORGANISED strategy by them.

Another Organised ploy has been to try and capitalise with Shaheen Afridi as the first over bowler. Although, it can be argued that:

1) the first over, the 7th over (right after powerplay) and the first over after a drinks break are the EASIEST overs to bowl in T20 cricket. Pakistan have an organised strategy in WASTING an over of their best bowler by using him to open the bowling first over.

The argument here is that the Organisation has been there AB…but the strategy behind this organisation is completely wrong. Who is enforcing this or influencing this? I think we all know.

Back