“I feel good when I see fear in the batter’s eyes” : Naseem Shah

Id really like him to bowl some bouncers at the lower order of England. He hasnt done that at all this innings and we know he can bowl a mean short ball from the test match in Australia

He gets the prized wicket of Joe Root in this crucial phase of the game.

The lad is already showing that he belongs in international cricket. He's bowled some great deliveries in the current match against England.

Worked over Joe Root beautifully by bowling on off stump and then a little wider to get him to edge one.

He’s bowling well but you will need to be a yard or two quicker in pace then Ashish Nehra to put fear into batsman’s eyes - either that or grow a foot taller so you can intimidate batsmen with bounce.

Haha staring down Ben Stokes.

Doesn't care about reputations this lad.

Great stuff.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/6e1hut" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Waqar Younis on Naseem Shah

“Naseem Shah is very very talented, he is only 17-18 years of age; He is still growing, his bones are growing but what a talent he is”

“I dont think he bowled as well as we expected in the previous game but he can really bowl well and take the opposition on; But because he is young and inexperienced, so its gets tough sometimes but he is one for the future and will get stronger, and hopefully get fitter and be able to bowl longer spells and he will cause trouble for batsmen around the world”

“If you are a fast-bowler, you should be able to look into the eyes of the batsman, run in hard and trust your ability which Naseem does; He is still young and learning, it will take a bit more time and as he plays more cricket; He will get more mature and be a little harder to face”

“Naseem is young and has a very good action; Once he gets fitter, and bowls more overs, he will definitely be a force for Pakistan in the coming few years; Pakistan has over the years produced some really good quality fast-bowlers over the past 2 decades or so; If he keeps fit and keeps on bowling, he has the potential to become a very good bowler”

Last edited:
His height is probably his only disadvantage. Other than that, he is a really capable of talented pace bowler.

He's quick no doubt but he's not THAT quick to scare good batsmen. Almost every team has a bowler than can hit between 87 to 90mph. If he was 95mph I would understand

Bowled fast - 89 mph his fastest today but should have been more aggressive - a bit too predictable

Bowled fast - 89 mph his fastest today but should have been more aggressive - a bit too predictable

He needs to use the bouncer alot more he bowler 3 bouncers together then stopped using it before and after that

I guess his place might be under threat, but I hope he's given another chance.

He'll get better with experience and age and tours like the current one will definitely help him improve.

He'll get better with experience and age and tours like the current one will definitely help him improve.

It's not under no threat.

Wouldn't make sense to drop him considering he barely bowled in the last game, but then again Pakistan cricket isn't renowned for making sense. If anything, the game being largely washed out gives his body a good break and reduces his injury risk going into the 3rd test.

Naseem into the attack immediately after drinks. Hope to see some fast and short stuff.

Naseem's first over today (mph):

1. 85
2. 88
3. 86
4. 88
5. 87
6. 87

It is the 3rd test now, and his simple flaw has still not been fixed.
What is Waqar doing over there?

Looks like he is not seeing any fear in the English batsmen’s eyes.

That last over is exactly how he needs to bowl here. Couple of outswinger and then the fuller ones aiming at the pads

The one thing Ive noticed about Naseem is that he hasn't developed a real effort ball yet. Even today average speed of 88-89 and fastest at 90mph. Compared to Husnain for example, who i dont think has Shah's average speed (more around 86-87 i think) but can bowl a really good effort ball at 94-95 mph.

Reminds me of Wahab Riaz sincerely speaking.

Shaheen and Yasir both are quality though and Abbas in England conditions on soft wickets.

Another tour is about to end and he is still not seeing any fear in batsmen’s eyes. :jordan

As I said earlier in this thread, this guy is not half as good as he thinks and he is going to get a massive reality-check and fall hard.

Most of the posts in this thread illustrates how delusional Pakistani fans are. This delusion is mostly reflected among the players as well.

Can’t take wickets to save his life but likes to see fear in batsmen’s eyes. The only fear I am seeing is in the eyes of his fans as they look at his numbers in Australia, England and now New Zealand.

Naseem Shah in press conferences:

542291E2-CFDD-405C-ABF9-D3EBB4B06D96.jpg

Naseem Shah on the pitch:

2043A1A7-257D-4F7C-B82C-FDDDFFAB6232.jpg

Attachments

• 62B13E7F-0A81-4D18-ACAD-F009B33F3030.jpg
    62B13E7F-0A81-4D18-ACAD-F009B33F3030.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 362
I think he meant fear in the Pakistani batsmen's eyes, watching him concede runs and thinking how on earth they are going to make up for it with the bat.

Naseem was looking quite good before the pandemic. He lost the plot completely since England tour.

Naseem was looking quite good before the pandemic. He lost the plot completely since England tour.

A big credit goes to Waqar Younis who has been working on Naseem Shah and has helped him remodel his action so that he can be complete trundler now...

He has more no-balls than wickets against quality lineups.

He is turning into a meme. I would have felt sorry for him if he didn’t have a big mouth.

He has more no-balls than wickets against quality lineups.

He is turning into a meme. I would have felt sorry for him if he didn’t have a big mouth.

I know you're loving this, taking your time to to bump every Naseem thread you can find. However this big mouth nonsense is unwarranted. Yes he is bowling trash but the odd comment from a relatively young guy isn't punishable by death!

Now Naseem has fear in his eyes when he sees the batsmen. The guy seems like his own shadow with name and short fame he was brought into the team. Clueless listless useless but fearless he appears. Sorry for the kid. He needs to go back to dusty domestic system and come back. He is no where now looking like a international class bowler.

Terribly out of rhythm. He shouldn't be playing in this state, yet he is being given a go...which is going to dent his confidence.
As I have mentioned before...a lot of work needs to be done with him..the run up has no momentum and the alignment has problems.

I know you're loving this, taking your time to to bump every Naseem thread you can find. However this big mouth nonsense is unwarranted. Yes he is bowling trash but the odd comment from a relatively young guy isn't punishable by death!

Better to open mouth after performing. Our players get the order wrong and then they are left red-faced.

Reminds of Sarfraz telling the world that India is afraid of playing Pakistan before Asia Cup 2018, and Hasan Ali stating he would try to take 10 wickets. The list goes on and on.....and on.

Stuff like I like to see fear in batsmen’s eyes, if I am underestimated I will hurt them, they may not know me now but they will know me after the series etc. sounds great when you have something to show for.

If someone like Babar opens his mouth now, it will not be a problem, because he has proved that he is a top player.

There is a fine line between confidence and delusion, and our fans as well as the players tend to lack the intelligence to appreciate that line.

Better to open mouth after performing. Our players get the order wrong and then they are left red-faced.

Reminds of Sarfraz telling the world that India is afraid of playing Pakistan before Asia Cup 2018, and Hasan Ali stating he would try to take 10 wickets. The list goes on and on.....and on.

Stuff like I like to see fear in batsmen’s eyes, if I am underestimated I will hurt them, they may not know me now but they will know me after the series etc. sounds great when you have something to show for.

If someone like Babar opens his mouth now, it will not be a problem, because he has proved that he is a top player.

There is a fine line between confidence and delusion, and our fans as well as the players tend to lack the intelligence to appreciate that line.

I agree that statements like these are not necessary. However I don't think it should be held round the guy's neck as a noose. When you're young and the blood is pumping, these sorts of statements come out. No big deal.

He's bowling rubbish and it's not good for team Pakistan. He will deservedly be dropped after this test. That's all that needs to be said.

I think he mistook the look of hunger for fear, any batsmen would be hungry after thrashing him all over the park.

Naserm shah should only play T20’s and bowl 150k+ until he learns the art of test match bowling.

Morne Morkel was once dropped by the South Africans because it was felt he was not delivering as expected and Grame Smith even publicly commented that it was important for Morkel to go back to domestic cricket to understand his bowling and game better, Morkel came back a year later having picked up wickets in domestic cricket and had learned how to set up batsmen better and had found the perfect line/length to pick up wickets.

Lets see if Naseem can one day turn out to be the bowler that he was expected to be. He did come into the team on the back of impressive form in domestic cricket and was passing the eye test.

Oh dear. Now that you look at the thread title, it makes a completely different reading. If the boy was getting smashed but clocking 145kph you'd still give it to him.

What he's essentially done on the NZ tour is the stuff of disciplined uncles. However, discarding him now only makes Waqar look like an utter fool having seen he's already gotten himself humiliated by selecting Musa for test cricket last year.

Oh dear. Now that you look at the thread title, it makes a completely different reading. If the boy was getting smashed but clocking 145kph you'd still give it to him.

What he's essentially done on the NZ tour is the stuff of disciplined uncles. However, discarding him now only makes Waqar look like an utter fool having seen he's already gotten himself humiliated by selecting Musa for test cricket last year.

Waqar will never accept what has happened here. Naseem’s best chance of redeeming himself in domestics is if Waqar gets the sack.

Naseem’s not really helped his case with his chatter or performances.

I doubt he has seen fear in eyes of any batsman at international level.

May be he is seeing incorrectly and the fear is in the captains eyes behind the stumps since he is scared of how rubbish this bowler is

People will bash Waqar until they realize that Naseem was never as good as they thought.

As I said earlier, people will go through the following steps on the road to accepting Naseem’s mediocrity.

First they will be in denial and make excuse for his failures. We were at that stage in England.

Then they will come up with some funny criteria to explain that he is doing well. He took wickets of top ranked batsmen, he took Root out, he did this, he did that etc.

Once that drama ends, they will then target Waqar and blame him for ruining his action and asking him to slow down etc., even though there isn’t a shred of evidence for it.

The final stage would be to acknowledge that he was never good enough. They will stop talking about him and will move on to hyping another rubbish young player out of sheer desperation.

I doubt he has seen fear in eyes of any batsman at international level.

May be he is seeing incorrectly and the fear is in the captains eyes behind the stumps since he is scared of how rubbish this bowler is

Or the batsman could be scared if he has family in the crowd that might be in danger!

People will bash Waqar until they realize that Naseem was never as good as they thought.

As I said earlier, people will go through the following steps on the road to accepting Naseem’s mediocrity.

First they will be in denial and make excuse for his failures. We were at that stage in England.

Then they will come up with some funny criteria to explain that he is doing well. He took wickets of top ranked batsmen, he took Root out, he did this, he did that etc.

Once that drama ends, they will then target Waqar and blame him for ruining his action and asking him to slow down etc., even though there isn’t a shred of evidence for it.

The final stage would be to acknowledge that he was never good enough. They will stop talking about him and will move on to hyping another rubbish young player out of sheer desperation.

If Waqar needs quality bowlers to show his performance as bowling coach then is he even needed in the first place? I doubt Mohd Asif learn't anything from having Waqar as bowling coach. Waqar is a waste of an appointment right now

Unfortunately this is all true.

I despair looking at our fast bowling reserves at the moment. I am desperately pinning my hopes on Hasan Ali coming back and supporting Shaheen. That is the extent of our fast bowling depth in the WHOLE country right now. Shaheen followed by a hope that somone currently unproven since return from injury does something for us.

In an ideal world, our test bowling line would be Shaheen, Amir and Hasan, but I guess that's just nothing more than a dream. Feeling really quite down about the state of Pakistani cricket at the moment :(

Never hyped Naseem, or he had any ablities but he bowled between 145 to 148 kph year ago. How did he suddenly become a medium pacer? Even Faheem has lost 5kph of pace since injury. There is a lot questions pcb need to answer, wasim Khan talks about this high performance center yet it is a failure. My reply is about bowlers losing pace, not overall ablitity

Never hyped Naseem, or he had any ablities but he bowled between 145 to 148 kph year ago. How did he suddenly become a medium pacer? Even Faheem has lost 5kph of pace since injury. There is a lot questions pcb need to answer, wasim Khan talks about this high performance center yet it is a failure. My reply is about bowlers losing pace, not overall ablitity

Didn’t he have multiple injuries last year?

If Waqar needs quality bowlers to show his performance as bowling coach then is he even needed in the first place? I doubt Mohd Asif learn't anything from having Waqar as bowling coach. Waqar is a waste of an appointment right now

Bowling coach's job in international cricket is not to teach its bowlers how to bowl. These learnings and developements need to happen in lower levels. You cant send an undercook bowler like Naseem to play internationals and expect Waqar Younis to do his miracle.

Unfair to blame the High Performance Centre right now, these academies and centres take a good 5-10 years minimum to show results. The Indian MRF pace academy was set up in the 90's and was mocked for a very long time period but the results are now showing

Didn’t he have multiple injuries last year?

Bumrah had stress fracture yet he didn't lose pace. Australian and NZ bowlers get injured but they don't lose pace like that. Wasim Khan is all talks

Bumrah had stress fracture yet he didn't lose pace. Australian and NZ bowlers get injured but they don't lose pace like that. Wasim Khan is all talks

Wasim Khan is incompetent but Naseem’s failure is not his problem. Different injuries affect bowlers in different ways.

This post is so spot on.

Actual reality of our fans.

They hype a young guy. He plays. Fails. Justifications. Then ultimately abuse the coach/selector.

Rinse and repeat.

Unfortunately this is all true.

I despair looking at our fast bowling reserves at the moment. I am desperately pinning my hopes on Hasan Ali coming back and supporting Shaheen. That is the extent of our fast bowling depth in the WHOLE country right now. Shaheen followed by a hope that somone currently unproven since return from injury does something for us.

In an ideal world, our test bowling line would be Shaheen, Amir and Hasan, but I guess that's just nothing more than a dream. Feeling really quite down about the state of Pakistani cricket at the moment :(

So pinning hopes on Hasan Ali is embarrassing?let me tell you he was a fighter and way better than these guys
Even if I'm not Pakistan fan ,i was wondering why was he dropped in the first place?

The problem is he does not see any fear in batsmen eyes now that he is playing international cricket.

Naseem reminds me of Vaidya, my childhood nemesis. He was small, just like Naseem and bowled fast and he was skiddy. He was never the same after me and my friend Mandeep hit of for 25 off 5 deliveries leading the opposition captain (Jagga aka Kaalu) to forefeit the match mid way.

Last two sixes were hit by your Bhaijaan resulting in balls being lost.

After that match, Vaidya never bowled again.

Ups and downs are part of any sport and he has been struggling for sometime now but, the biggest issue is that was he ready for transition to international cricket and also that his development seems to have halted. Same problems are still their and issues are being repeated again and again.

When he came into the scene at domestic level, it wasnt just the pace but maturity of line and length was also decent which he has really struggled to manifest at test level especially in overseas conditions.

Player doesn’t say I am ready for test cricket and forcefully selects himself. Questions need to be asked to the bowling coaches who have recently worked with him like Waqar Younis, Samiullah Niazi and Mohammad Zahid. If they think or said he is ready to transition into test cricket than accountability needs to come in, accountability should also take priority if Naseem hasnt progressed rather deteriorated as then what exactly is their job.

Naseem or any player for that matter cant be blamed for selection as I dont think he forced anyone to make him play test cricket. Coaches thought he was ready and can be developed but, both things havent happened till now.

I believe it is turning out to be another case of poor transition to international cricket and lack of development to bridge the gap.

Last edited:
Bowling coach's job in international cricket is not to teach its bowlers how to bowl. These learnings and developements need to happen in lower levels. You cant send an undercook bowler like Naseem to play internationals and expect Waqar Younis to do his miracle.

Bhai, Waqar literally said that he would turn Naseem into a world beater within 2 years.

Seems like Pakastani newbies do not understand the concept of underselling and over performing.

So many threads on Naseem - where to start?

The biggest disappointment for me is the utilisation of our bowling attack. Every bowling attack should be selected based on a strategy. Every bowler must have a role to play. If a bowler can go above and beyond his role, you have the potential for a great bowler. If you have two of these types of bowlers you have the potential for a great bowling unit.

The decision to select a quick bowler in our attack is a sound one. We have had our endless supply of medium pace trundlers bowling in the overhyped "right areas". We need something more.

Let's think about Naseem as a bowler and what he gives you right now (let's stop talking about him as a teenager, his level of experience, his potential etc etc - he is a bowler and is selected in a test match which is the pinnacle of international cricket).

Naseem gives us pace and bounce at the minimum. Yes, he hasn't developed the intricacies, and the art of bowling yet, he still has to learn how to swing the ball consistently, he has to learn how to set up the batsmen - many more things. But from his first test, we have seen he can bowl a good short ball and he has good pace.

Can that be utilised in a test match (just those two things)? I'd argue yes if used correctly.

What is the problem? The problem is that he is not being utilised correctly and even if he was, he seems to have lost some some of his pace.

Who's fault is the loss of pace - his own.

Who's fault is it that he has not been utilised correctly? The captain/coach/bowling coach AND himself.

Who's fault is it that he is selected? The CS/captain/coach/bowling

If he is being held back, told to bowl slower / stick to "right areas" - that is idiotic by the management, but I'd like to think a bowler who is playing test match cricket should know his strengths and weaknesses enough to argue his case too. If he does not know his bowling well enough, then he shouldn't be playing.

Now, if the management are not being idiots and telling him to bowl short and fast and he himself physically CANNOT (be it he's not comfortable / he is not fully fit / he hasn't got used to his new run up etc) then he SHOULD NOT BE SELECTED.

Let's say for argument's sake he has lost pace, is his pace still quick enough (135-142k) to be utilised as an enforcer? Of course! If Wagner can be utilised as an enforcer at 126-130ks, surely Naseem can. Even if he is a one trick pony right now, you can still utilise him.

Why our management would want ANOTHER "right areas" (man, I hate that stupid term) medium pacer, is beyond me.

The biggest disappointment for me is the utilisation of our bowling attack. Every bowling attack should be selected based on a strategy. Every bowler must have a role to play. If a bowler can go above and beyond his role, you have the potential for a great bowler. If you have two of these types of bowlers you have the potential for a great bowling unit.

The decision to select a quick bowler in our attack is a sound one. We have had our endless supply of medium pace trundlers bowling in the overhyped "right areas". We need something more.

Let's think about Naseem as a bowler and what he gives you right now (let's stop talking about him as a teenager, his level of experience, his potential etc etc - he is a bowler and is selected in a test match which is the pinnacle of international cricket).

Naseem gives us pace and bounce at the minimum. Yes, he hasn't developed the intricacies, and the art of bowling yet, he still has to learn how to swing the ball consistently, he has to learn how to set up the batsmen - many more things. But from his first test, we have seen he can bowl a good short ball and he has good pace.

Can that be utilised in a test match (just those two things)? I'd argue yes if used correctly.

What is the problem? The problem is that he is not being utilised correctly and even if he was, he seems to have lost some some of his pace.

Who's fault is it that he has not been utilised correctly? The captain/coach/bowling coach AND himself.

If he is being held back, told to bowl slower / stick to "right areas" - that is idiotic by the management, but I'd like to think a bowler who is playing test match cricket should know his strengths and weaknesses enough to argue his case too. If he does not know his bowling well enough, then he shouldn't be playing.

Now, if the management are not being idiots and telling him to bowl short and fast and he himself physically CANNOT (be it he's not comfortable / he is not fully fit / he hasn't got used to his new run up etc) then he SHOULD NOT BE SELECTED.

Let's say for argument's sake he has lost pace, is his pace still quick enough (135-142k) to be utilised as an enforcer? Of course! If Wagner can be utilised as an enforcer at 126-130ks, surely Naseem can. Even if he is a one trick pony right now, you can still utilise him.

Why our management would want ANOTHER "right areas" (man, I hate that stupid term) medium pacer, is beyond me.

Wagner will be uterly useless in Asian conditions but atleast he is good at bouncy tracks, Naseem on the other hand is niether skillful nor has the pace

Don’t need to make fun of him. I am sure at his age group level or in Pak domestics batsmen might be genuinely scared to face 140k bowling. He has the pace and May be he rattles them.

Unfortunately he has found out that International cricket is a different monster.

Wish him the best. Hope it is not a case of Pakistan bored finding a new toy but then disposing it off after they get bored.

Hope he comes back stronger as the raw material is there.

All I read are excuses. Laughable to compare Naseem who can’t land two consecutive balls on the same spot and loses steam in one spell to an absolute workhorse like Wagner

Has lost some pace and also his run up seems shorter..

Wagner will be uterly useless in Asian conditions but atleast he is good at bouncy tracks, Naseem on the other hand is niether skillful nor has the pace

That doesn't quite make sense. He does have the pace, he is easily quicker than Wagner. Skill ok - but in what sense? I'd argue, if the skill we are talking about is the ability to bowl a well directed bouncer, then he does have the skill. What I think he is lacking is the approach - the approach to executing it.

And if fine, if he cannot be utilised, he should NOT be selected! I don't think this is all his fault - what is his fault and you can label every current pak bowler in this bracket is that they have no cricketing brain or ambition.

All I read are excuses. Laughable to compare Naseem who can’t land two consecutive balls on the same spot and loses steam in one spell to an absolute workhorse like Wagner

Where are the excuses? I've highlighted that he has to take a lot of the blame.

But the management can't get off scott free here either. If he is clearly a loser like most think he is, then why are they selecting him?

One of the reasonable success stories from Pak cricket in terms of fast bowling in recent years have been Abbas and Hassan Ali. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t Abbas a domestic legend and Hassan Ali despite being a youngster had a few seasons of FC under his belt and was a proven performer?

I see that on Pak cricket you tube shows they are always calling for some 30+ Domestic bowler or the other extreme is to induct alleged “16” year olds.

Where are the 21-27 year old players who have the right mix of youth and experience?

Can’t blame Naseem if he is expected to learn on the job. It’s a miracle when someone succeeds with that pathway. It would have been different had been kept around in the squad, played the odd match and learnt and gained experience, playing him as a frontline bowler is the team management fault
Clearly.

Where are the excuses? I've highlighted that he has to take a lot of the blame.

But the management can't get off scott free here either. If he is clearly a loser like most think he is, then why are they selecting him?

Yes obviously management is to blame. They selected him to shield themselves off criticism because they can play the ‘building for the future’ card and excuse current results. He was never up to the task.

One of the reasonable success stories from Pak cricket in terms of fast bowling in recent years have been Abbas and Hassan Ali. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t Abbas a domestic legend and Hassan Ali despite being a youngster had a few seasons of FC under his belt and was a proven performer?

I see that on Pak cricket you tube shows they are always calling for some 30+ Domestic bowler or the other extreme is to induct alleged “16” year olds.

Where are the 21-27 year old players who have the right mix of youth and experience?

Can’t blame Naseem if he is expected to learn on the job. It’s a miracle when someone succeeds with that pathway. It would have been different had been kept around in the squad, played the odd match and learnt and gained experience, playing him as a frontline bowler is the team management fault
Clearly.

You make total sense.

Even Abbas was selected 3-4 years late (when he was 28 officially - probably 30) which is why we only saw 2.5 or so good years from him. He was putting amazing domestic numbers year after year for 7-8 years but wasn’t selected as he was considered ‘too slow.’ He was finally selected due to all other options of the time being exhausted.

He should have been selected at mid 20s and we could have gotten longer utility out of him.

Clearly.

The prime age fast bowlers are all pretending they're 21 and have very little FC experience.

Pakistan's two rock throwers Rauf and Dilbar are in that 'prime age' but neither has played a reasonable amount of FC.

You can extrapolate that Pakistan's strategy for pace bowling over the last 10 years is to pluck some random youngster out of PSL into international cricket and hopes he swims rather than sinks.

It will help if the selection panel makes their selection criteria for batsmen, spin bowlers, all rounders, pacers seperately and publically on the PCB website

Yes obviously management is to blame. They selected him to shield themselves off criticism because they can play the ‘building for the future’ card and excuse current results. He was never up to the task.

Agree with this - the first priority for the management is "What excuse can I use WHEN we lose the series".

That's all Misbah/Waqar and co concentrate on

As for the "fear in batsmen's eyes" quote. It was clearly a response to a question rather than him coming out making that his main statement. I don't even think he believes it himself.

I'm just disappointed he doesn't actually believe that - might improve his bowling.

TBH, I would actually prefer a pak fast bowler to come out and make statements like these than the usual "ve bowl right areas", "pace not everything", "I only want the team to do well" blah blah zzzzzzz

That is just usual drivel and it's normally a lie, because no pak player actually does play to win or for the team. They just play to find a way to secure a spot for the immediate future.

Back