“I feel good when I see fear in the batter’s eyes” : Naseem Shah

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
In an interview with Saj for inews, Pakistan fast-bowler Naseem Shah speaks about the tragic loss of his mother at time of his debut against Australia, why he is looking forward to bowling to Joe Root and Ben Stokes, what he hopes to learn from the likes of James Anderson and Stuart Broad and his ambitions to play County Cricket in England.

PRI_160177105-640x360.jpg

Pakistan’s uncanny ability to produce young fast-bowling talent has been evident since the country’s induction as a cricket nation in 1952.

Fazal Mahmood, Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Shoaib Akhtar are just some of the names who have enthralled the world of cricket with their blistering pace and ability to swing the ball.

But since Shoaib’s international career ended in 2011, there has been a degree of pessimism among cricket enthusiasts about the lack of fresh talent coming through the corridors of Pakistan’s pace-bowling factory.

However, it appears that any such fears can now be laid to rest with the arrival of Pakistan’s latest fast-bowling find: Naseem Shah.

Part of Pakistan’s latest generation of Under-19 pacers, 17-year old Naseem has quickly gained a reputation for his pace and aggression. He made his international debut last year in Australia and while his performances did not yield the results he had hoped for, he did show glimpses of the potential that he possesses.

During the tour of Australia, Naseem was also confronted with a personal tragedy, when his mother passed away back home.

He was unable to return to Pakistan for her funeral and was distraught that his mother never got to fulfil her wish of seeing him in national colours.

“It was a difficult time for me in Australia,” he says. “I was struggling to sleep and had to take sleeping tablets after the loss of my mother.

PRI_160177102-760x506.jpg

“She always prayed for my success and dreamt of seeing me play for Pakistan, but she never saw that happen which was tragic and heart-breaking. I think of her every time I take a wicket and thank her for her prayers and blessings.”

At the end of last year he took seven wickets in two home Test matches against Sri Lanka which followed the tour of Australia. However, Naseem’s talents really came to the fore during a Test match in Rawalpindi against Bangladesh in February. It was in that game he became the youngest man to take a Test match hat-trick, a moment that he particularly savoured.

“It was an incredible moment. The best thing about it was that it was in front of my countrymen at Rawalpindi.

“Pakistan has been starved of international cricket for many years and I hope it was a special moment for fans who were at the ground.

“I hope it’s the first of many records I can break, but above all, it meant that I had helped my country towards victory.”

Bowling fast requires a special mindset given the immense physical and mental hurdles that need to be overcome. For Naseem, these challenges are exactly what attracts him to the art of fast bowling as he explained, “Only a fast-bowler can understand the mindset of another fast-bowler and appreciate the highs and lows.

“On those days when your rhythm is right, your body feels good, your run-up is smooth and the ball is just coming out nicely, you are on top of the world and there is no better feeling.

“I always wanted to be a fast bowler and even in my school days, I loved to scare batsmen by bowling fast.

“I feel good when I see fear in the batsman’s eyes, it motivates me to bowl even faster.”

For a youngster like Naseem, he appreciates that understanding the manner in which bowlers like James Anderson utilise the conditions could well provide knowledge that will be crucial for his success later this summer and in the future.

“Learning from your own coaches and team-mates is vital, but I feel that watching the opposition bowlers and learning from them is almost equally as important,” he says.

“I’ll be observing the English bowlers very closely, to see how they bowl in home conditions.

“I’m a big admirer of James Anderson who’s been such a brilliant bowler for so long. You don’t take hundreds of Test wickets without knowing what you are doing and to be around Anderson and have the opportunity to learn from him is something that I am not going to miss out on.”

He may be raw, but Naseem has the confidence and self-belief of a cricketer destined for greatness.

He believes in respecting the opposition but not fearing their abilities and is keen to leave England as someone both English fans and players will remember.

Wasim Akram on Pakistan’s coaching arsenal, Babar Azam vs Broad and Anderson and a team full of young talent

“Joe Root and Ben Stokes are two cricketers I rate highly, and it will be great to test myself against them, he says. “I respect good players, but I do not fear them.

“I will show them respect, but I will not let them dominate and I will not think that these guys are really good, world-class cricketers and that I should be concerned or worried about bowling to them.

“I want to leave England this summer having created an impression on the opposition batsmen and with the fans.At the moment, they won’t know who I am, but hopefully by the end of the tour they will know all about me.”

The experience of playing county cricket is one that many greats of Pakistan cricket have attributed to their development in the past.

It therefore stands to reason that Naseem is looking at the upcoming tour as a way of impressing observers in England with a view to playing county cricket in the future.

“Looking back over the years many of the Pakistani fast-bowling greats have played county cricket and really benefited from it,” he says. “Imran Khan, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis are just some of the bowlers who have said that county cricket really helped them mature and improve and I would definitely like that opportunity at some point.

“I just need to manage my workload and not overdo it, but if the opportunity arose I would jump at it as I know it will definitely help in my development as a bowler.”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/n...eam-test-series-england-bowling-attack-570740

New akhtar ican say n terms of feeling good while seeing fear in the eyes of batsmen as akhtar also used to love it but i hope he increase his speed to Atleast 159 160 kmph which he can as age on his side when mark wood at the age of 31 can bowl at 154 why can't a 17 year old

Fear in batsman’s eyes?

Has has 4 Tests under his belt. How many eyes has he seen?

He has more arrogant statements than number of wickets. The list is piling up.

His head is in the clouds and it could all fizzle out very quickly. We have been there before.

Fear in batsman’s eyes?

His head is in the clouds and it could all fizzle out very quickly. We have been there before.

“I always wanted to be a fast bowler and even in my school days, I loved to scare batsmen by bowling fast. I feel good when I see fear in the batsman’s eyes, it motivates me to bowl even faster.”

“I always wanted to be a fast bowler and even in my school days, I loved to scare batsmen by bowling fast. I feel good when I see fear in the batsman’s eyes, it motivates me to bowl even faster.”

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION]. Atleast read the OP before shooting from the hip. You sound like my ever-conspiring toxic aunt the more i read your posts.

Needs to stop giving over the top statements and focus on his game. The kid has a lot of talent, but he seems to also have the potential to fall by the wayside like Hasan Ali etc

Needs to stop giving over the top statements and focus on his game. The kid has a lot of talent, but he seems to also have the potential to fall by the wayside like Hasan Ali etc

What 'over the top' statements has he given?

I urge all to read.

Certainly seems to be more vocal than Shaheen. Early hints of over-confidence

Loving these Brock Lesnar comments from a 16 year old. Surely they create more anger in haters. Keep it up fella!

According to some arm chair experts here, a true fast bowler should say things that a spinner would in the media.

IA he stays fit for the series and bowls with aggression. He cant fall into the trap that many young and not so young fall into in England, and that is either to bowl too short because of the bounce in the pitch like OT or bowl too full if the ball swings.

IA he stays fit for the series and bowls with aggression. He cant fall into the trap that many young and not so young fall into in England, and that is either to bowl too short because of the bounce in the pitch like OT or bowl too full if the ball swings.

Tbh looking at the practise match wickets it seems like he can bowl that fuller length and also bang it in the pitch

Fear in batsman’s eyes?

Stop hating

Every bolwr has a dip hassan fell away due to his injuries

Tbh looking at the practise match wickets it seems like he can bowl that fuller length and also bang it in the pitch

But its that inbetween length that takes the wickets. Its a length for edges that will miss the top of off by a few inches.

Fear in batsman’s eyes?

Ah yes, he cannot have seen fear in batsmen's eyes after 4 Tests, but Jofra can be the second best Test bowler in the world after 8 Tests, half of which he was absolute rubbish in.

Ofcourse Naseem was clearly talking about matches at the other level but don't let that distract you from your narrative. Just out of interest can you give me an example of one 'arrogant' statement that he's made please?

Ah yes, he cannot have seen fear in batsmen's eyes after 4 Tests, but Jofra can be the second best Test bowler in the world after 8 Tests, half of which he was absolute rubbish in.

Ofcourse Naseem was clearly talking about matches at the other level but don't let that distract you from your narrative. Just out of interest can you give me an example of one 'arrogant' statement that he's made please?

He's also the best T20I bowler after playing a grand total of one T20I

Love the confidence from the young man.

Get stuck in to the opposition Naseem.

It's about time some of our cricketers showed some aggression.

You are a future star!

Last edited:
This is how a fast bowler should behave and act.He has attitude of a fast bowler. Love this attitude.I hope he would be more aggressive as well.Some stares and sledging should be done by him.He is gonna be a star.

What 'over the top' statements has he given?
This 'fear' statement.

The Virat Kohli statement.

Not saying there is anything wrong with either of them on a factual basis, however he is young and should realize how many young players have fallen away recently from Pakistan.

He should let his attitude on the field do the talking.

This is how a fast bowler should behave and act.He has attitude of a fast bowler. Love this attitude.I hope he would be more aggressive as well.Some stares and sledging should be done by him.He is gonna be a star.
Indeed he is going to be, InshaAllah.

This can go one of two ways.

If in 5 years, he says "The Naseem Shah of 2025 is much different from the Naseem Shah of 2020", you know it's followed the typical Pakistan trajectory.

If there are other threads that do the talking for him, stating "Naseem Shah vs Dale Steyn after 30 Tests - a Statistical Comparison", then he's made it big.

This 'fear' statement.

Not saying there is anything wrong with either of them on a factual basis, however he is young and should realize how many young players have fallen away recently from Pakistan.

Totally agree with you. If this stuff was said by him after showing consistent top performances after years it would make more sense. Right now it seems all talk no action. I get the hype but the hype itself in my opinion is slightly over the top. Have we not learned from players like Hasan Ali and Amir?

This 'fear' statement.

So the Kohli statement - he was asked about playing against India and Kohli and said ‘I respect him but I don’t fear him. It’s always a challenge bowling to the best but that’s where you raise your game. I’m looki forward to playing against them when the chance comes.’ So essentially he’s answering a question by saying t

This 'fear' statement.

You do know he was answering a journalist, right? They ask these trick questions deliberately to trip people up and generate headlines.

This can go one of two ways.

If in 5 years, he says "The Naseem Shah of 2025 is much different from the Naseem Shah of 2020", you know it's followed the typical Pakistan trajectory.

If there are other threads that do the talking for him, stating "Naseem Shah vs Dale Steyn after 30 Tests - a Statistical Comparison", then he's made it big.

Or by 2025, it may become another case of "could have been" career with 100-120 test wickets at 28 average.

You do know he was answering a journalist, right? They ask these trick questions deliberately to trip people up and generate headlines.

I asked the question......and it wasn't to trip him up at all. The question was - Why did you want to become a fast bowler and what do you enjoy most about it.

Or by 2025, it may become another case of "could have been" career with 100-120 test wickets at 28 average.
Or there might be a case of Indian fans not being anywhere near these threads (the way they avoid Babar Azam threads right now) after he ends up performing well by 2025

Indians should keep quiet when people talk about fast bowling.Fast bowling is not your cup of tea.country of trundlers.

I asked the question......and it wasn't to trip him up at all. The question was - Why did you want to become a fast bowler and what do you enjoy most about it.

I was referring to the Virat statement! If you asked that as well, genuine apologies in that case. I have generally seen many local journalists try to get reactions out of players and even hints at an answer are spun into headlines - it is something I do not like personally.

This applies to third parties too. Other media outlets and fans. In an instance like this, your well-meaning question followed by his answer are being spun in different ways. This is unfair to Naseem and to you the journalist. This is because PP is very professionally run and you maintain good journalistic integrity.

Regarding the Virat statement, if I remember correctly his response was a direct reply of the question and as respectful as could be - fast forward the headlines, and now many people believe Naseem exhibits attitude and considers himself a rockstar. That is unfair to him.

I don't see anything wrong with what he said. He is a young exciting prospect that even non-Pakistani fans but cricket fans are wanting and waiting to perform.

I personally don't find anything wrong in his statement. Yes, no need to give many statements, but some time pacers are just expressing how they see it. I recall myself trying to bounce batsmen and feeling good about it.

England is the perfect team to instill fear with pace. Remember Johnson in 2013. Want such a performance from him.

England is the perfect team to instill fear with pace. Remember Johnson in 2013. Want such a performance from him.

Late summer conditions should help reverse swing. Naseem should hopefully mix his bouncers with some nice reverse swing yorkers. They should just give him a free pass to go all out.

Or there might be a case of Indian fans not being anywhere near these threads (the way they avoid Babar Azam threads right now) after he ends up performing well by 2025

Says who? We like Babar Azam. He would have a higher profile if more Indians got to see him play in Indo-Pak bilateral games, then he would be regarded like Inzamam-ul-Haq.

Fear in batsman’s eyes?

What an utterly clown statement to make. I suggest reading before carelessly typing away nonsense. Imagine loathing a 17 year old on the internet, sad....

Good luck to young Naseem Shah and a great interview, the cricketing world is his oyster.

Last edited by a moderator:
What an utterly clown statement to make. I suggest reading before carelessly typing away nonsense. Imagine loathing a 17 year old on the internet, sad....

Good luck to young Naseem Shah and a great interview, the cricketing world is his oyster.

Since you mentioned Naseem’s age, he will now come running at you with his toxic narrative of how naseem's age is false, and that he is being billed as the bowling Tendulkar, based off of that lie and blah blah.

Last edited:
Needs to stay away from the media for now. Media is a cruel world that makes one chew their words in whatever context they were originally said.
For a 16 year old, I would keep him away from media before he undergoes some media training and gives consistent performances for a year atleast.

Sounds like Naseem has been paired up with Hafeez during net practice over the last few weeks.

Some of the bowlers will become men in this series
Hopefully he is one of them

Fear in batsman’s eyes?

Lots of batsmen from school days to domestic and now Tests.

Some posts are becoming a bit like those conspiring Desi aunties. Why not talk about cricket strictly on technical basis.

Lots of batsmen from school days to domestic and now Tests.

Some posts are becoming a bit like those conspiring Desi aunties. Why not talk about cricket strictly on technical basis.

This hall of famer likes being controversial so will always say the opposite to all the other posters.

Good luck to Naseem Shah.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Naseem Shah's first over of the series:<br><br>84mph<br>86mph<br>89mph<br>89mph<br>90mph<br>89mph<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ENGvPAK?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ENGvPAK</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1291418115411259401?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 6, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

next over:

89 88 89 90 89 89 mph

Interesting analysis from Michael Holding on Naseem's follow through which he feels needs work on.

Length is too short.

Rather, it was too full, which is why he was initially getting driven. He then over-compensated by bowling a tad short.
But i expect him to come back strongly tomorrow
He is a strong-minded kid. Not soft a all.
He can get it to swing either way, but in this spell, he was off colour.
His run up needs to become more angular so that it can allow him to bowl from closer of the stumps
That will help him to aim at the right areas and also bring the lbw into play.

He has good pace but he needs to be told by seniors what length he should be bowling. He is a rookie, so it will come with experience.

He will deliver some brilliant performances in near future for sure but just like Archer, I doubt he will have a career as great as some other great bowlers or a couple of his own teammates.

Last edited:
Archer stating that let's see if naseem can maintain this speed in second and 3rd spell due to him not be able to bowl at the speed he is expected

Pakistan have had the better of the Test so far and MICHAEL HOLDING was full of praise for their seam attack, particularly 17-year-old Naseem Shah:

"I'm impressed with some of the fast bowling I'm seeing from Pakistan. That 17-year-old – I wish I was as strong as he is when I was 17!

"He certainly has some good pace and he looks strong. I'm looking forward to seeing him bowl more.

"Test match cricket is not easy and being a fast bowler at that age in Test cricket could be a little stressful. I would hate to see him go under too quickly.

"Pakistan have faith in his strength, they have faith in his fitness – let's hope they are right."

He has good pace but he needs to be told by seniors what length he should be bowling. He is a rookie, so it will come with experience.

He will deliver some brilliant performances in near future for sure but just like Archer, I doubt he will have a career as great as some other great bowlers or a couple of his own teammates.

Thiers defo a contest between naseem and archer due to archer stating let's see if naseem can keep his speed up due to himself not bowling to fast as the pitch doesnt suit archer lol

He hasnt shown anything apart from his pace in that spell. Even on that he has been down by 3, 4 kph.
He is a much better bowler than that. I am hoping that he shows all that tomorrow.

Thiers defo a contest between naseem and archer due to archer stating let's see if naseem can keep his speed up due to himself not bowling to fast as the pitch doesnt suit archer lol

I personally don't expect sensible comments from Archer. One thing is for sure, he is a better bowler than a speaker.

I don't think Naseem's pace will go down . That will remain his forte unless he is dealing with injuries, he will become very effective and deadly against quality batters once he bowls on right areas consistently, something which I think he is still learning, it will come up with experience and assistance from his seniors.

Fear in batsman’s eyes?

Drama Queen at it again, quoting him without context is quite moronic but then you never fail to amaze!

I personally don't expect sensible comments from Archer. One thing is for sure, he is a better bowler than a speaker.

I don't think Naseem's pace will go down . That will remain his forte unless he is dealing with injuries, he will become very effective and deadly against quality batters once he bowls on right areas consistently, something which I think he is still learning, it will come up with experience and assistance from his seniors.

Agreed aslong as he bowls 86 mph upwards that will be okay but archer seems like he struggling to bowl even at 85

Naeem is still blows hot and cold even during a game this is what I have seen in his short career once he develops consistency he will be devastating inshallah I expect him to bowl atleast one game changing spell in this series inshallah

Most interesting comments was on his inability to swing the ball
When he bowled an inswinger, the commentator went as far as to say as it was fluke as he was holding the ball wrong

I thought he looked dangerous with the odd full ball and the odd ball that climbed off the pitch
Hopefully he doesn't become MSami and constantly get driven for 4s

If he was actually 17 years old it would had been great as thats the age you grow more inches.

But he is probably not.

Looking at his action, i just feel he is injury prone. Small body and yet he bowls at that pace with that action. If you read holdings coments even he believes that the kid is puttinf way too much effort and would result bad

If he was actually 17 years old it would had been great as thats the age you grow more inches.

But he is probably not.

Looking at his action, i just feel he is injury prone. Small body and yet he bowls at that pace with that action. If you read holdings coments even he believes that the kid is puttinf way too much effort and would result bad

He is more likely 19-20.

There wasn't much swing from Naseem but when he was replaced by Shaheen the latter got some good shape. And from what I have seen previously Naseem can actually swing it a lot more than Shaheen.

But the real problem in my view was his inability to bowl the consistent 4-5th stump line, he was too straight most of the time and kept getting worked to the leg side. And he looked to be too impatient, trying to force something to happen. The basics are called that for a reason. I know he is a rookie but he needs to learn quickly at this stage.

There wasn't much swing from Naseem but when he was replaced by Shaheen the latter got some good shape. And from what I have seen previously Naseem can actually swing it a lot more than Shaheen.

But the real problem in my view was his inability to bowl the consistent 4-5th stump line, he was too straight most of the time and kept getting worked to the leg side. And he looked to be too impatient, trying to force something to happen. The basics are called that for a reason. I know he is a rookie but he needs to learn quickly at this stage.

People said the same thing about Shaheen when he was starting out to be fair. Naseem reminds me a bit of a young Waqar than any Pakistan bowler so I think we might see him come to life when the ball starts reversing.

Must have been some nerves out there today.

I'm sure he will improve, providing he is given good coaching and guidance.

Must have been some nerves out there today.

I'm sure he will improve, providing he is given good coaching and guidance.

Was off colour today. However, he has got great character. I expect him to bounce back.

People said the same thing about Shaheen when he was starting out to be fair. Naseem reminds me a bit of a young Waqar than any Pakistan bowler so I think we might see him come to life when the ball starts reversing.
People riding the Shaheen bandwagon forget how he was the villain of the month for the same set of fans, after the rollicking he got by Finch and co in the WC game.

Forget Naseem, even Musa, Hasnain, Rauf etc should be given time to improve and show their credentials.

Decent start so far. Hopefully day 3 Naseem will be among the wickets.

Yes and Shaheen has improved in this regard quite a bit. Naseem also needs to learn quickly when it comes to bowling consistently in the channel.

As far as reverse swing goes I am not sure how much of that we will see in this match.

Michael Vaughan is really going gaga over him.
Calling him a quicker version of fred trueman. :naseem

Naseem Shah with a 141kph bouncy ripper to get rid of the danger man Pope.

And has now just hit Woakes on the head, 89mph. Woakes looking very tentative. Might Naseem be seeing fear in the batsman's eyes...

Naseem Shah with a 141kph bouncy ripper to get rid of the danger man Pope.

The wicket:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/boez2e" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Pope was undone by extra bounce from Naseem, as demonstrated by this Hawkeye graphic...

xlfUbXSYTTmguY9eNFEz_Capture.JPG

Back