2 Special Custom LAMS from BB

shoab68

Debutant
Runs
Hi Friends,

Yesterday i received my 2 special custom made Laminated bats from Blank bats. Little disappointed that it got delayed as these were expected to arrive long back.

SPECS:

BAT 1 BAT 2

Weight 2.10 2.11
Blade length 1 inch short 1.5 inch short
Handle 1 inch long 1.5 inch long
Middle Mid to low Mid to low
Edges at peak 40 mm 40 mm
Balance Perfect perfect
Pick-up light medium to light
Ping Amazing Amazing

Both bats are amazing bats, 7 to 8 reasonably straight grains and willow quality superb. I checked the ping with a mallet and both bats has superb rebound. I have given both bats a light coat of oiling and would start knocking after 2 days. Overall really happy and satisfied to see these bats. A friendly advice to Taimoor (bb bats) please select a good courier company while dispatching parcels.

Attaching some pics of the bats.

All queries and criticism welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_6994  ok.jpg
    IMG_6994 ok.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_6996  ok.jpg
    IMG_6996 ok.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_6999  ok.jpg
    IMG_6999 ok.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_7001 ok.jpg
    IMG_7001 ok.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_7004  ok.jpg
    IMG_7004 ok.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_7007  ok.jpg
    IMG_7007 ok.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_7011  ok.jpg
    IMG_7011 ok.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_7013  ok.jpg
    IMG_7013 ok.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_7014  ok.jpg
    IMG_7014 ok.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_7019  ok.jpg
    IMG_7019 ok.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 271
Some more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_7023  ok.jpg
    IMG_7023 ok.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_7024  ok.jpg
    IMG_7024 ok.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_7028  ok.jpg
    IMG_7028 ok.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_7029  ok.jpg
    IMG_7029 ok.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_7033  ok.jpg
    IMG_7033 ok.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_7034    ok.jpg
    IMG_7034 ok.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 269
WOW, just amazing to look at them. The v.first pic on the left is beautiful and I have never used this adjective for a cricket bat. The grains on at least one of them look(feel?) 'ruler straight'.

The overall profile is familiar to me but I am not sure which one of the CA bats used to look like this. Although, CA now has a little bit more curve than before. The edges and specially the spine looks amazingly unbelievable for 2.10/11. The toe is also not thin as normal bats these days are also moving towards thick toes.

Why shorter blade and longer handles? A Razzaq comes to mind for long handle bats.

How much is the price excluding P&P costs? (if u don't mind)

P.S. Is it your camera or photography or what? because these images are just blowing my mind away.

WOW, just amazing to look at them. The v.first pic on the left is beautiful and I have never used this adjective for a cricket bat. The grains on at least one of them look(feel?) 'ruler straight'.

The overall profile is familiar to me but I am not sure which one of the CA bats used to look like this. Although, CA now has a little bit more curve than before. The edges and specially the spine looks amazingly unbelievable for 2.10/11. The toe is also not thin as normal bats these days are also moving towards thick toes.

Why shorter blade and longer handles? A Razzaq comes to mind for long handle bats.

How much is the price excluding P&P costs? (if u don't mind)

P.S. Is it your camera or photography or what? because these images are just blowing my mind away.
Thanks buddy for liking them. Yeah grains on Bat 2 is very straight ones. I have 7 CA bats (6 plus 15k ltd edition and 1 TRD) and few of them have similar profiles. Just experimented with short blade and longer handle as it would increase bat speed so good for T20 type cricket.

I paid 300 GBP each (excluding postage) for these bats but i think it is worth as these are real good ones.

Haha, it is combination of camera+photography+quality bats. Pics taken by a professional photographer so no credit to me.

Sorry but you might as well have bought single cleft bats. They are not that big and don't weigh any less than a typical bat. especially since they are shorter blades.

The front LAM looks too thin to me, all others I have seen are much thicker front half.

Sorry but you might as well have bought single cleft bats. They are not that big and don't weigh any less than a typical bat. especially since they are shorter blades.

The front LAM looks too thin to me, all others I have seen are much thicker front half.

As explained by our friend d7bow why do you need thicker bats, i think you are not aware of performance enhanced LAMS. Bats like CA gel are laminated bats just to increase the thickness while concept of performance enhanced LAMS is totally different, here the focus is not on the thickness but on performance, hope it is clear now.

3mm front piece isn't going to do anything, it's too thin.

Let me see if I can get my head around your "assumptions" for this bat. The front piece is pressed far less than usual in order to make it softer / more responsive, the rear piece is pressed more.

How do you think the front piece is going to stand up to a cricket ball when its soft pressed and 3mm thick? That's before you get into the moisture content of each piece.

I'll say it again, the only reason to do this is to pass of a G3 cleft as high G2.

Ok, not sure who has mentioned front piece pressed softer, back piece pressed harder. When Pressing a bat the compression is approx 5-6mm. These bats are not flat faced pressed so only the edges will be around 3mm thick/thin. If you took the toe guard off it would be bigger in the middle. If you were to cut a performance laminate in half you may find what was used to improve performance, it may be the glue used, under the front piece may be rubber, Kevlar, carbon etc... I have no idea what TK uses.

You are correct though about laminates and the reason they were invented, they used good looking clean faces on the front with grade 3/4 on the back to generate more money as grade 1 was short in supply. You then had the Asian makers doing massive bats with the same principle bit massively over drying the clefts.

Last edited:
Ok, not sure who has mentioned front piece pressed softer, back piece pressed harder. When Pressing a bat the compression is approx 5-6mm. These bats are not flat faced pressed so only the edges will be around 3mm thick/thin. If you took the toe guard off it would be bigger in the middle. If you were to cut a performance laminate in half you may find what was used to improve performance, it may be the glue used, under the front piece may be rubber, Kevlar, carbon etc... I have no idea what TK uses.

You are correct though about laminates and the reason they were invented, they used good looking clean faces on the front with grade 3/4 on the back to generate more money as grade 1 was short in supply. You then had the Asian makers doing massive bats with the same principle bit massively over drying the clefts.
Very well explained Sir !!! I am impressed !!!

I'm talking to idots here....

Have you ever seen a "skyer" bat? Its got dense foam in front of a wooden cleft. They are used for fielding practice and can hit a ball an absolute mile. This is the principle used to generate power, exactly the same principle used on a tennis racquet.

In order for a laminate to perform similar you must have a fair amount of rebound in the surface. In this specific case the front piece of wood on a laminate MUST be softer than the rear. It MUST rebound and the source of the rebound / re-tensioning power is the harder rear wood that limits where the compression can go. Thus forcing it react by pushing the ball back from where it came.

That is all there is to it, just be a man and face up to the fact that 1. You have no idea how physics works, 2. You bought a bat that was laminated for looks. 3. You derive your self worth from having bought these bats and thus must defend them for what ever reason.

I could care less about you or your bats I'm only trying to clear up the miss information so it doesn't spread like wildfire.

519592AB-39DF-4A22-9D63-51D3B635E2E4-4176-000004CACCE2CB00_zps6ed1aa3e.jpg

wow, so much in depth knowledge, i am impressed. But as I am a novice to LAMS, I can not exactly decide who is right.

Just for the record I'm not posting to cause arguments or to prove who is right or wrong. Laminates are illegal/immoral to use in a cricket match, full stop.

Just for the record I'm not posting to cause arguments or to prove who is right or wrong. Laminates are illegal/immoral to use in a cricket match, full stop.

good to have discussions about them though. And the ideas behind them....

Yes this is the front of a laminated bat. They put rubber inside the bat to get the rebound qualities that bigfan kindly explained to us ;-) in his post.

That picture is very very small, any chance of getting bigger? I can't tell how thick the face cleft is. But I'm assuming that is honeycomb inserted there, defiantly looks like it to me. That bat pictured is made by a company called "Callen Cricket" but has now ceased production. So one picture of a bat made by a completely different company makes everything I have said invalid?

Honeycomb is used to reinforce Carbon Fiber to provide massive rigidity. (ie its stronger than carbon fiber) Ive never seen wood honeycomb used, I have seen composite honeycomb and aluminum honeycomb. This looks to be a type that resembles cardboard in look but much stronger.

The photo posted proves nothing. It still doesn't change the fact that the material used for the face has to be softer than the rear. Explain to me why the face is 3mm and why it weights 2lb 11 for a short blade with 40mm edges and "supposed honeycomb insert".

Here's the link, I thought I read somewhere they used rubber, it maybe honeycombed like you said. http://www.callencricket.com.au/testimonials.asp

Like I keep saying I've no idea what the op's bat materials are for it to be a performance lam is. I beleive it is a certain type of glue, again speculative. If you read my posts i have listed many materials that have been quoted in being used to enhance the rebound qualities. I understand what you are saying when telling us about soft front hard back, and physics involved in getting rebound. As to the weight of the bat these were customed made to the op's request, you will hope that he replys.

I'm talking to idots here....

Have you ever seen a "skyer" bat? Its got dense foam in front of a wooden cleft. They are used for fielding practice and can hit a ball an absolute mile. This is the principle used to generate power, exactly the same principle used on a tennis racquet.

In order for a laminate to perform similar you must have a fair amount of rebound in the surface. In this specific case the front piece of wood on a laminate MUST be softer than the rear. It MUST rebound and the source of the rebound / re-tensioning power is the harder rear wood that limits where the compression can go. Thus forcing it react by pushing the ball back from where it came.

That is all there is to it, just be a man and face up to the fact that 1. You have no idea how physics works, 2. You bought a bat that was laminated for looks. 3. You derive your self worth from having bought these bats and thus must defend them for what ever reason.

I could care less about you or your bats I'm only trying to clear up the miss information so it doesn't spread like wildfire.
Bigfan take it easy, instead of arguing so much why don't you buy a performance enhanced LAM. When you will hit a ball with LAM you would immediately notice the difference in ping. I don't care whether the front portion is 3 mm or 1 mm, whether they use glue inside /rubber or whatever, i don't want to involve myself in the LAM Technology, for me LAM is working and that's it. I have used my bat in nets and the ping is unbelievable. ICC has not banned these bats without any reason !! I agree that it is illegal/immoral to use these bats in matches so i am using them in nets. Sometime you feel that you are talking to idiots but it could be other way round. Hope you understand!!!

Last edited:
Bigfan take it easy, instead of arguing so much why don't you buy a performance enhanced LAM. When you will hit a ball with LAM you would immediately notice the difference in ping. I don't care whether the front portion is 3 mm or 1 mm, whether they use glue inside /rubber or whatever, i don't want to involve myself in the LAM Technology, for me LAM is working and that's it. I have used my bat in nets and the ping is unbelievable. ICC has not banned these bats without any reason !! I agree that it is illegal/immoral to use these bats in matches so i am using them in nets. Sometime you feel that you are talking to idiots but it could be other way round. Hope you understand!!!

Shoab, you have bought the bats and are happy with them.

Send a thank you email to the maker and ask them what sort of Lam it is- they will tell you - end all curiousities of all around! Also be helpful for your next search for a lam!

Shoab, you have bought the bats and are happy with them.

Send a thank you email to the maker and ask them what sort of Lam it is- they will tell you - end all curiousities of all around! Also be helpful for your next search for a lam!

I've already thanked them, i got what i requested to my bat maker so no need to ask them again and again. I am well aware the difference between a performance enhanced LAM and thickness increased 2 piece LAM. I don't want to know the technology involved in these performance enhanced LAMS because i have no intention to make such bats myself.

These are my bats and i am happy with them, i am least bothered if i don't find any bigfan or smallfan for these LAMS but i am really a big big fan of my bats.

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head Shoab Bhai.

As long as you're happy that's the main thing.

Can you please elaborate upon how the performance compares to your other top end bats.

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head Shoab Bhai.

As long as you're happy that's the main thing.

Can you please elaborate upon how the performance compares to your other top end bats.
I am really happy to get these bats, these bats are mind blowing, i was expecting only enhanced ping on these ones but to my surprise these turned out to be absolute beauties and perfect in each and every aspect. These bats looks so beautiful that you can't take away your eyes from them. Both bats are weighing little less than 2.11 but the pick up and feel is 2.8. My team mates were surprised to see these bats and they were in disbelief to know the actual weight because they all were guessing them to be 2.8. These bats are balanced perfectly and the ping is unbelievable and can really send the balls miles.

Even batsman of my class ( unable to hit sixes) were able to hit quite a few big sixes with these bats. As you are aware that i have almost all top end bats from various leading podshavers, i can safely say that these bats are my best bats till date. Once again i thank you from bottom of my heart for providing these perfect bats. After buying hundreds of bats i can guarantee that this is the maximum you can derive from a piece of willow(ping, balance, pickup etc etc).

Last edited:
I've already thanked them, i got what i requested to my bat maker so no need to ask them again and again. I am well aware the difference between a performance enhanced LAM and thickness increased 2 piece LAM. I don't want to know the technology involved in these performance enhanced LAMS because i have no intention to make such bats myself.

These are my bats and i am happy with them, i am least bothered if i don't find any bigfan or smallfan for these LAMS but i am really a big big fan of my bats.

You got me wrong. I dont think there is a safely guarded Secret behind one lam to another!
there is a few different kinds - rubbers and corks etc- Once one of these breaks you will see whats in it anyways! lol

you seem real happy with those and thats the main thing,

You got me wrong. I dont think there is a safely guarded Secret behind one lam to another!
there is a few different kinds - rubbers and corks etc- Once one of these breaks you will see whats in it anyways! lol

you seem real happy with those and thats the main thing,
Nopes bro, no complains against you, i hope my LAM doesn't breaks and serves me for a very long period . I am really not interested to know whether rubber inside or cork as these LAMS are really performing very well.

Back