ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand v Pakistan | Match 35 | Bengaluru | 4 November | New Zealand Innings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1699049588874.png

A sudden, intense rain shower lasting about five minutes disrupted New Zealand's training session at Bengaluru's M Chinnaswamy Stadium on Friday. The rain caught both the Kiwi team and the net bowlers off guard, turning the bright and sunny surroundings into a wet and gloomy scene in less than a minute. The ground staff quickly took action to address the situation. The weather forecast for Saturday, November 4, looks grim as New Zealand faces Pakistan in what could be a virtual knockout match to secure a spot in the 2023 World Cup.

Not long ago, New Zealand would have been considered clear favorites for this contest. They had a strong start with four consecutive victories, even holding the top spot in the standings. However, three consecutive losses to India, Australia, and South Africa have put them on the fringes of the qualification bracket. To simplify their path to the knockout stage, they must secure two wins in their remaining matches. Pakistan is in an even more precarious position, needing both points and favorable outcomes. They are currently in fifth place with four consecutive defeats, but a morale-boosting victory against Bangladesh revived their hopes. A win and two points are the immediate focus for both teams, although coach Mickey Arthur admitted to keeping an eye on net run rate scenarios.

New Zealand's campaign has been marred by a series of injuries to key players, starting with Kane Williamson's broken thumb shortly after his return from an ACL injury. Their bowling department is particularly affected, with Matt Henry being the latest casualty due to a grade two hamstring tear, leading to his replacement by Kyle Jamieson. Fortunately, Lockie Ferguson (Achilles), Jimmy Neesham (bruised wrist), and their regular captain have actively participated in the limited practice time allowed by the weather ahead of this crucial clash.

In this do-or-die situation, Pakistan remained composed during their three-hour practice session. Coach Arthur praised the players' calm demeanor, contrasting it with his own nervousness. He noted that the players take such pressure in stride, similar to their approach before the Bangladesh game. Pakistan's inconsistent batting department is a concern, despite their bowling unit showing signs of improvement. Fakhar Zaman returned to the opening spot and justified his inclusion with a brisk 81 in the victory against Bangladesh. However, the middle-order batters, Iftikhar Ahmed and Saud Shakeel, have not performed exceptionally, and captain Babar Azam's three fifties have only masked the team's batting issues. To secure victory, especially on a challenging Chinnaswamy pitch for bowlers, Pakistan will need a near-perfect all-round performance, even against a battered New Zealand side.

When: November 04, 2023, 10:30 AM IST

Where: M Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru

Teams

New Zealand:

Jamieson, who previously joined the World Cup squad in India as a training cover, arrived in Bengaluru on Thursday and participated in practice on the day before the match. However, he might have to bide his time, as Lockie Ferguson has regained his fitness and is likely to return to the playing eleven, potentially replacing Henry. Kane Williamson also had an extended net session and is expected to make a comeback, which could mean that Will Young might find himself on the sidelines once again.

In terms of tactics and strategy, Babar Azam has been a significant threat with his last five ODI scores against New Zealand reading 49, 65, 54, 107, 1. However, his performance in the middle overs of this World Cup has been less impressive. The Pakistan captain has had a relatively lower strike rate of 79.24 during the 11th to 40th over period, and New Zealand will aim to exploit this weakness to their advantage.

Pakistan:

Leg-spinner Abrar Ahmed was seen practicing in Pakistan's nets, but the main focus remained on Shadab Khan, who has suffered his third concussion episode in the last 14 months. Shadab Khan, the Pakistan vice-captain, engaged in light fielding drills and some bowling after a medical assessment, but the team management has deferred the decision regarding his participation until the morning of the match. Pakistan, however, may decide to stick with the same playing eleven that helped them end their four-match losing streak against Bangladesh.

In terms of tactics and strategy, a crucial aspect to keep an eye on is Tom Latham's performance in the New Zealand middle-order during this World Cup, despite his modest statistics. His matchup against Shaheen Afridi is particularly interesting. The stand-in Kiwi captain has a poor average of 6.2 against the Pakistani pace spearhead and has been dismissed by him four times in ODIs. Notably, Afridi has been more effective with the older ball in the middle overs, where he averages 16.2, has a strike rate of 17.1, and has taken seven wickets between overs 11-40.

Squads:

Pakistan Squad: Abdullah Shafique, Fakhar Zaman, Babar Azam(c), Mohammad Rizwan(w), Iftikhar Ahmed, Saud Shakeel, Agha Salman, Shaheen Afridi, Usama Mir, Mohammad Wasim Jr, Haris Rauf, Shadab Khan, Imam-ul-Haq, Mohammad Nawaz, Hasan Ali

New Zealand Squad: Devon Conway, Will Young, Rachin Ravindra, Daryl Mitchell, Tom Latham(w/c), Glenn Phillips, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, James Neesham, Trent Boult, Kyle Jamieson, Ish Sodhi, Mark Chapman, Lockie Ferguson

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Last edited:
We'll probs get a full game.

It'll be a short passing shower tbh

PAK need to chase in 35.2 overs or best NZ by 85 runs to overcome NZ NRR.

If NZ beat PAK tomorrow,

All of PAK, NED, ENG, SL will be officially knocked out of the World Cup.
Damn NZ can create a dominoe effect if they win

Considering past record of both sides pak have upper hand and if considering result is SA-NZ match, I wouldn’t surprise if Pak won by 9 wkts or by 150 runs

I think you mean good news for Pakistan as he's one of the most overrated players ever.
But his record against Pakistan is so good.

He can provide a launching pad for their power hitters by consolidate his inning in middle overs.

I think you mean good news for Pakistan as he's one of the most overrated players ever.

He can provide a launching pad for their power hitters by consolidate his inning in middle overs.

If it weren't for Williamson being away, Rachin would not even have gotten a chance and in the process NZ would likely not have won as many matches.

New Zealand possibly would not even be fighting for a Semi Final spot right now if Williamson had stuck around, think about all of that for a second.

Williamson is also fit now bad news for pakistan.
Actually good news for Pakistan.
Make him play at least 60 balls, he will score some useless runs and will out.

Chapman is destructive batsmen, unfortunately he is not getting chances, he is sitting out for Kane and Will Young.

Both teams will get one point each.

Chalo. Looks like I'm going for the match.

Haven't been to a cricket match since I was a kid. And I wasn't in Blore for OZ vs PAK and IND are playing NED minnows here.

Hopefully I'll get to see brother Rachin score a huge ton :amla

Also , would be nice to see Shaheen, Bobby and Rizwan from PAK side.

And all the EnZeders as well.

Realistically, match is 50:50. If NZ wins, they would win a one sided match. However, if pakistan wins, it would be a very close match. Not sure if Pakistan would be able to comprehensively beat NZ in any manner.

Rained whole day in Chennai, flooding in many parts, sustained downpour whole day except a few gaps. North East Monsoon has well and truly arrived. Bengaluru too will get pelted by the rain gods, bad luck to both teams, Afghans will be the lucky beneficiaries.

Rained whole day in Chennai, flooding in many parts, sustained downpour whole day except a few gaps. North East Monsoon has well and truly arrived. Bengaluru too will get pelted by the rain gods, bad luck to both teams, Afghans will be the lucky beneficiaries.
Yeah forecast looks terrible , lol. What rotten luck for me.

Afghans only benefit if they can actually beat both OZ and SA. Otherwise NZ benefits.

If points are shared, NZ just have to beat SL without worrying about NRR :D

Morne Morkel, the bowling coach, analyzes the fast bowlers' recent performances in the last two matches and shares insights on the team's morale as they prepare for tomorrow's #NZvPAK game.

Morkel Said:

The way we fought back into that game [against South Africa] was very impressive. The character we showed was something that we talked about daily that we need in pressure situations. We have struggled with the new ball up front, and if we are to be brutally honest, we have not done enough with the new ball.

In Bangalore, the mindset you have walking onto the field is important. You can talk yourself scared about the venue, that it’s a high-scoring game with a lot of boundaries, or you can flip it the other way around and say that it’s a great opportunity for me as a bowler to test my skills and make a name for myself. As a fast bowler, if you can bowl at a venue like Bangalore and do well, you earn a lot of respect in the cricketing circuit. The boys should look forward to that challenge. When you have the ball in hand be the man that’s going to break the innings open or to take the early wickets. You cannot afford for your mind to take the soft and easy option because in that venue it's not going to work. And at the end of the day, if you bowl consistently in the right areas…there are always opportunities to get the batsman out.

There is a heartbeat, and whenever there is a heartbeat there is hope. Our focus is to put in a solid performance.

We are hurting, things haven’t gone our way, and we have been slow to get our WC campaign going, but we have a bit of momentum, and anything can happen.

We’ve got a good vibe going on in the team

It makes us a dangerous team because we don’t have anything to lose.

An official of Chinnaswamy Stadium informed Geo News that they have "Sub Air System" installed in the ground which not only prevents the outfield from water logging, but it also drains the water 36 times faster than the natural drainage time.

"The SubAir system automatically kicks into action the minute it starts raining, thereby not allowing any buildup of water on the outfield. It quickly removes standing water (36 times faster than drainage by gravity) virtually eliminating the need for extended game delays or cancellations due to wet outfield conditions," says the official website of the system.

“The SubAir system automatically kicks into action the minute it starts raining, thereby not allowing any buildup of water on the outfield. Water begins to get sucked out at the rate of over 10,000 litres a minute from the moment it begins to rain. The suction system gets activated through signals from the remote sensors embedded in the field," an official of SubAir system had revealed at the time of its installation at Bengaluru's Chinnaswamy stadium.

This weather forecast checking is taking me back to Asia cup for the Pak v ind games. I’d be so disappointed if we can’t a game tomorrow. Even a 20/20 would do as a worst case scenario.

Tomorrow the World Cup calculations end when NZ invariably wins and Top 4 will be all but sealed. The rest of the 7-8 matches before the semis will just be about going through the motions.

World Cup 2019 was much better in that respect where not until the last group match were the 4 semi-finalists determined.

Kyle Jamieson will unleash his wrath on Pakistani batters.

What’s is the weather forecast for tomorrow? Still slated for late afternoon rain or are the rains scheduled to arrive sooner? Any Indians from Bangalore on the forum?

Mark Chapman (calf), Lockie Ferguson (achilles), Jimmy Neesham (wrist) and Kane Williamson (thumb) all trained in Bengaluru on Friday.

A decision on their availability to feature against Pakistan will be left until game-day and likely confirmed at the toss.

Chalo. Looks like I'm going for the match.

Haven't been to a cricket match since I was a kid. And I wasn't in Blore for OZ vs PAK and IND are playing NED minnows here.

Hopefully I'll get to see brother Rachin score a huge ton :amla

Also , would be nice to see Shaheen, Bobby and Rizwan from PAK side.

And all the EnZeders as well.
Ma Sha Allah… look at you. :misbah

You are a Pakistani on the inside at the end of the day then.

All these other Indian games, and you will make your come back to watch a match in a stadium with Pakistan playing.

On a serious note, do post pics if you can. I was supposed to go to Bangalore and then Goa a few years ago.

If match is washed out and both teams get a point then does that mean Pakistan are out?

No, but their chances will become quite slim cause NZ will have to lose big against SL and PAK will have to beat ENG. That seems highly unlikely.

Pakistan's best chance is to win big against NZ (or at least win in general) so a rained-out match would be a big blow.

Can someon from stadium share realistic weather updates rn

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not all doom and gloom boys, MET weather is showing 30% until 1:30 where it’s at 60%

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope we have a complete match.

Otherwise sore ears will hear for next 4 years how Pakistan got unlucky with rain and were robbed of the World Cup as they beat South Africa who reached the final/won event.

Even a win does not put Pakistan through , that is Pakistan problem. Beating Kiwis by 80 plus runs is not easy . You need to target 350 here , and try and get them for 260 , its not an easy task.

Pakistani journalists in India are saying we will be going in with 4 fast bowlers tomorrow

Imam, Nawaz, Shadab, Usama to not play

Ifti to bowl 10 overs? Considering Babar doesn't trust Salman with the ball at all in ODIs

Pakistani journalists in India are saying we will be going in with 4 fast bowlers tomorrow

Imam, Nawaz, Shadab, Usama to not play

Ifti to bowl 10 overs? Considering Babar doesn't trust Salman with the ball at all in ODIs
I think its a wise decision to go with 4 pacers with some moisture on the wicket due to rain, only pacers can utilize it in a better way.

Certainly Iftikhar is a 10 overs bowler dont know why babar doesnt trust his abilities as a bowler.

Last edited:
Kyle Jamieson will unleash his wrath on Pakistani batters.
I’m starting to doubt you actually watch cricket…

Jamieson will be served to Chacha who will send him out of the park.

Anyone who watches the game can already visualise this happening.

Boult and Santner are the 20 key overs against Pakistan.

I think its a wise decision to go with 4 pacers with some moisture on the wicket due to rain, only pacers can utilize it in a better way.

Certainly Iftikhar is a 10 overs bowler dont know why babar doesnt trust his abilities as a bowler.
The day I saw Ifti getting hit for 4 consecutive sixes in the PSL by a mediocre batsman like Sarfraz, I know why Babar doesn't trust him with 10 overs

But yeah, good decision to go with 4 fast bowlers in Banglore as our spinners have been pathetic

The day I saw Ifti getting hit for 4 consecutive sixes in the PSL by a mediocre batsman like Sarfraz, I know why Babar doesn't trust him with 10 overs

But yeah, good decision to go with 4 fast bowlers in Banglore as our spinners have been pathetic
5 or may be 6 overs from iftikhar and 4 from Salma Agha can do the trick.

Last edited:
It looks like we are heading in to a rain reduced game. Pak should bowl first and look to use the conditions. I hear from locals in Begaluru that they expect showers, but nothing too serious (let's hope).

Ma Sha Allah… look at you. :misbah

You are a Pakistani on the inside at the end of the day then.

All these other Indian games, and you will make your come back to watch a match in a stadium with Pakistan playing.

On a serious note, do post pics if you can. I was supposed to go to Bangalore and then Goa a few years ago.
You should visit whenever you get the chance , Sully. :amla

Especially Goa.

For me, the attraction is that it is a day ODI.

Bangalore hasn't hosted a day ODI in 30 years! Also I'm home only for a week .

So, not much choice. Will definitely try to post pics.

An official of Chinnaswamy Stadium informed Geo News that they have "Sub Air System" installed in the ground which not only prevents the outfield from water logging, but it also drains the water 36 times faster than the natural drainage time.

"The SubAir system automatically kicks into action the minute it starts raining, thereby not allowing any buildup of water on the outfield. It quickly removes standing water (36 times faster than drainage by gravity) virtually eliminating the need for extended game delays or cancellations due to wet outfield conditions," says the official website of the system.

“The SubAir system automatically kicks into action the minute it starts raining, thereby not allowing any buildup of water on the outfield. Water begins to get sucked out at the rate of over 10,000 litres a minute from the moment it begins to rain. The suction system gets activated through signals from the remote sensors embedded in the field," an official of SubAir system had revealed at the time of its installation at Bengaluru's Chinnaswamy stadium.
Best drainage in the world . This is why I'm hopeful that we:ll at least get a T20

The weather looks good now rain staring from 3pm before that it looks clear

If not a full 50 over game , atleast a reduced overs game should be easily doable. A washout though pretty much guarantees nz a sf spot

According to apple weather app, only post 4 pm we might have some short shower.

By this time, I believe match would have been close to a finishing stage (in favour of Pakistan, I hope).

Looking forward to an exciting contest (weather and my vestibular neuritis condition permits😖).

All the best PCT!

What's the point of a full match when you're ok with your team losing? :censored:

Just watching for the sake of entertainment, I must say you're certainly a minority.
I fully want us to win, but I just hate the start stop type of cricket games. Also, we need a full match anyway for NRR if he wanna make it to the next round

This game will decide the context of second part of WC. Pakistan bowling is very weak with spinners a perpetuity so why not get rid of them. Shadab seems unfit though his batting was required.

Fakhar
Shafiq
Haris+
Babar
Rizwan
Saud
Ifti
SSA
WasimJr.
Hassan
Rauf

Mir is complete waste of space so let him warm the bench

I have a feeling we are winning today, just like I had the gut feeling that Warner would tonk us and Afg would beat us, the only bigger feeling is of a washout.

Key for EnZed is Mark Chapman being fit.

Seems to smash PAK bowlers whenever I watch him.

If PAK can keep him quiet , half the battle's won.

If however he launches one of his devastating counter attacking knocks, PAK will lose all hope

Just passed by chinnaswamy for work
It's overcast ..but normally like 99 out of 100 times ,it won't rain in day time in bangalore

PAK need to chase in 35.2 overs or best NZ by 85 runs to overcome NZ NRR.

If NZ beat PAK tomorrow,

All of PAK, NED, ENG, SL will be officially knocked out of the World Cup.
No Pak can still qualify even if they lose tomorrow. It's very small chance where Australia loses all their games and Pak wins extremely big against Eng, something like get them out for 50 and chase within 5 overs.

Which is always a problem for our batsmen... let's hope we utilise the conditions better
Yeah, look at Kyle Jamieson test average.. 72 wickets @ 19.45.

He’s not had much success in ODI but wouldn’t be surprised if he could take advantage of overcast conditions.

Considering the conditions and how necessary it is to register a big win if we want to make it to the next stage, should we try bat first if we win the toss? Or try to bowl them out cheap and chase quickly?

I’m sure that this game will have a significant online / TV audience. Because many in India will be watching, all of Pakistan will be watching and I’m sure a few New Zealanders will be in the mix as well.

So what are we doing winning the toss? and
I say bowl. Overcast conditions but should not have any interruptions in the first innings. Might have interruption in the second innings from rain and usually DLS method seems to have some bias to side batting second.

I say bowl. Overcast conditions but should not have any interruptions in the first innings. Might have interruption in the second innings from rain and usually DLS method seems to have some bias to side batting second.
yeah but we need to beat them by margin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back