New Zealand v Pakistan | 3rd T20I | Dunedin | Jan 17 | New Zealand Innings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1705438547609.png

Since 2022, Pakistan hasn't won a single T20I series, facing defeats against Australia, England, and even Afghanistan (albeit with a second-string side). They settled for a drawn series against New Zealand at home in their last T20I outing, which was in 2023. Much has changed for Pakistan since then, including a new captain and vice-captain. However, their performances in the T20I format haven't yet reached their full potential, and Pakistan now stands on the brink of another series defeat, trailing New Zealand 2-0 after consecutive losses.

Despite showcasing some firepower with the bat, they have struggled to sustain their batting momentum, resulting in two unsuccessful chases after the hosts posted substantial totals on both occasions. Babar Azam has been consistent with successive half-centuries, and Fakhar Zaman, batting at No.4, delivered a quick 25-ball 50 in the last match. That said, Pakistan could benefit from their bowlers displaying better discipline.

New Zealand, on the other hand, has been making positive strides in the series, with their batting firing on all cylinders and their bowlers consistently delivering, backed by substantial runs. Finn Allen and Daryl Mitchell, in particular, have been dominant with the bat, while Tim Southee and Adam Milne have taken four-wicket hauls, contributing to New Zealand's clinical performances in the two matches. They aim to continue in the same vein and exploit Pakistan's weaknesses to secure the series.

When: January 17, 5:00 AM PST

Where: University Oval, Dunedin

Team News:

New Zealand: Originally intended to rest for the third T20I, Kane Williamson had to abandon those plans due to a right hamstring injury, forcing him to retire hurt midway through the second T20I. As a result, he has been ruled out for the rest of the series. Will Young will continue to be part of the squad, and Tim Seifert is expected to step in for Williamson, also taking on the wicketkeeping duties. Mitchell Santner, who previously captained the T20I side in the series against Bangladesh, is poised to assume leadership responsibilities once again.

Pakistan: Aamer Jamal has proven to be costly in his recent two performances, prompting Pakistan to consider giving him a break, especially since the 27-year-old also participated in the Australia Tests prior to this. Mohammad Nawaz emerges as a viable option, given the effectiveness of spinners in Dunedin.

Squads:

Pakistan Squad: Mohammad Rizwan(w), Babar Azam, Fakhar Zaman, Saim Ayub, Iftikhar Ahmed, Azam Khan, Aamer Jamal, Mohammad Nawaz, Shaheen Afridi(c), Haris Rauf, Zaman Khan, Usama Mir, Mohammad Wasim Jr, Abrar Ahmed, Sahibzada Farhan, Abbas Afridi, Haseebullah Khan

New Zealand Squad: Devon Conway, Finn Allen, Kane Williamson(c), Mark Chapman, Glenn Phillips, Daryl Mitchell, Tim Seifert(w), Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Ish Sodhi, Matt Henry, Adam Milne,Ben Sears

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

The game starts at midnight and will finish at around 5-6am UK time, I start work at 7am. Do I stay awake and watch the game
Or do I sleep?

The game starts at midnight and will finish at around 5-6am UK time, I start work at 7am. Do I stay awake and watch the game
Or do I sleep?
ok giving u a hint "Nawaz is likely to play today"... so now you can better decide whether you should stay awake or not. 😁

Or do I sleep?
If it was World Cup stay up for sure. For a meaningless t20, why ruin your sleep.

Wonder if Pakistan will try to chase again 3rd game in a row.

It’s like me looking in the mirror 3 years ago.

Hopefully you see what I became
I guess the only difference is that you think that Rizwan has been favoured and I have the same view but on Azam Khan.

Some flashes of brilliance but overall another loss coming up for Pakistan as afterall it's a team game..

What happened to baba & rizwan eating all the overs up?? Broke there partnership the rest of the wastemen can’t even bat out full 20 overs for 2 games in a row

Excellent work by Hafeez management

3rd game in a row Babar and Rizwan will be forced to bat out of their skins chasing hahahahaha

Pakistan has won the toss and opted to bow first

New Zealand (Playing XI):
Finn Allen, Devon Conway, Tim Seifert(w), Daryl Mitchell, Glenn Phillips, Mark Chapman, Mitchell Santner(c), Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Matt Henry, Lockie Ferguson

Pakistan (Playing XI): Mohammad Rizwan, Saim Ayub, Babar Azam, Fakhar Zaman, Iftikhar Ahmed, Azam Khan(w), Mohammad Nawaz, Shaheen Afridi(c), Mohammad Wasim Jr, Haris Rauf, Zaman Khan

3 out of 3 toss wins for Pak and Shaheen and 3 times he chose to bowl

Here might be the right call though looking at the overcast conditions and 8 out 9 wins here are from batting second.

Here might be the right call though looking at the overcast conditions and 8 out 9 wins here are from batting second.

It had to be a clear cut ‘bowl first’ pitch for that decision! So it makes sense.

Wonder if Pakistan will try to chase again 3rd game in a row.
Clearly ploy. These guys know batting first will give Babar or Rizwan license to “assess situation and look to build foundation” nonsense

Bowl first, get smashed to close to 200 and then pull the carpet right underneath the feet of statspadder Rizwan and Babar

Crafty guy Shaheen throws the batsman under the bus, no one will remember how Pak balled patheticaly in the 1st innings, batting will be remembered .

Crafty guy Shaheen throws the batsman under the bus, no one will remember how Pak balled patheticaly in the 1st innings, batting will be remembered .
Hahahahahahah

This is what Pakistan needed hahahahaha

Zindabad Hafeez and co

Don’t mind Pakistan losing 5-0 bowling first in this series as long as they get smashed for 200 every time and Babar+Rizwan have not even the slightest of excuse to anchor

Curious to see who shares the new ball with Shaheen.

It may be decent bowling conditions but all of our other pacers prefer using assistance off the pitch. I'm guessing it'll be Wasim Jnr.

Curious to see who shares the new ball with Shaheen.

It may be decent bowling conditions but all of our other pacers prefer using assistance off the pitch. I'm guessing it'll be Wasim Jnr.

Yeah that would make the most sense. Just because of process of elimination, Zaman and Rauf really cannot bowl with the new ball.

Allen is due a failure

But Conway is due a good score

Pitch is green, 7/8 games here have been won chasing
So maybe was a good move to bowl first.

Is it just me but are the NZ commentators the worst? Just as bad as Wasim Akram

Zeeman Khan is a dreadful man’s Malinga cannot move the new ball a mm to save his life.

Really hate some of the easy singles our fielders give up. Our batters don't get the same luxury and you have to fight for every run. You need those dots to build up pressure to get wickets.

Allen is smashing Shaheen in this series like Sehwag used to smash Rana Naved

This umpire might as well just stay on the ground haha

DMJO11c.png

Shaheen should have been rested for this series. Illogical work load management by the PCB.

Haha afridi getting demolished by bowling his 75 mph thunderbolts.

Needs to retire has turned into absolute cannon fodder.

Shaheen isn't himself. He is deluding himself if thinks he is 'completely fit'.

His pace is down, he isn't finding any swing. Like Shadab he has regressed completely since coming back from an injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back