A call to all Rizwan and Babar critics - Who should replace them?

cricketmerijaan

Debutant
Runs
A call to all those of who were dropped as babies, who believe that Rizwan and Babar are stat padders, play for themselves, should be axed from the Pakistan team etc, can we please have names of who should replace these guys?

I don't want to hear the PCB needs to be disbanded, our boys need to play more franchise cricket etc. Rizwan and Babar don't have control of which players are coming through the system, or which players don't do well in the PSL. Nor do they have an impact on which Pakistani players play in foreign leagues.

The floor is all yours!

Oh dear

This is the one question we Babar and Rizwan Bashers can never answer!

The one question that we fear the most!

This is the one question that check mates us every time!

I'm not in the Rizwan and Babar bashing crew but we must be realistic. They have failed for 3 consecutive world cups. T20 world cups are the pinnacle of this format. 3 failures is too much, there is no point giving them the 4th opportunity.

If it was up to me I would try Abdullah Shafique, Saim Ayub and Mohammed Haris as our openers/top3 in the run up to the next WC.

I'm not in the Rizwan and Babar bashing crew but we must be realistic. They have failed for 3 consecutive world cups. T20 world cups are the pinnacle of this format. 3 failures is too much, there is no point giving them the 4th opportunity.

If it was up to me I would try Abdullah Shafique, Saim Ayub and Mohammed Haris as our openers/top3 in the run up to the next WC.
Don’t mind this experiment, provided they don’t collapse like they did against Afghanistan in 2023.

We have no middle-order batters in domestic cricket. Neither do we have any spinners with half-decent potential. I fear for Pakistan cricket’s future whenever I watch just a little bit of domestic cricket.

We need to start prepping proper middle-order batsmen, who are able to play dynamic modern day cricket.

That’s the first step to improving as a cricket team.

Don’t mind this experiment, provided they don’t collapse like they did against Afghanistan in 2023.

We have no middle-order batters in domestic cricket. Neither do we have any spinners with half-decent potential. I fear for Pakistan cricket’s future whenever I watch just a little bit of domestic cricket.

We need to start prepping proper middle-order batsmen, who are able to play dynamic modern day cricket.

That’s the first step to improving as a cricket team.
If they collapse once or twice so be it.

We need to prepare a team for 2026. The core of that squad must be

Saim
Abdullah
Haris
Saud
Agha Salman
Usman ( shouldn't be discarded just yet imo)
Haider Ali
Aamer Jamaal

yes many of these are tried and have failed. but none of them have tried and failed for 3 world cups like our current squad has.

Every T20 batsman in Pakistan squad is a failure; but some fail more than others.

Our batsmen do not have what it takes to be aggressive and calculated T20i batsmen.

Their timid personalities, lack of fitness, lack of game awareness, lack of improvisation, the lot - none of it is on display.

With the exception of Naseem Shah and Abrar, there are no alternatives. All have proven to be flops.

• Fakhar Zaman - Still riding off that 1 CT17 final innings, utterly hopeless in T20is. Abject failure as T20 opener after nearly 40 attempts.
  • Usman Khan - This is what happens when you buy a #3 from Wish.
  • Saim Ayub - Warranty expired 20 times.
  • Azam Khan - Sums up the state of Pakistan Cricket and Rizbar haters.

The days we stop using PSL as a barometer for international standard, is the day Pakistan cricket starts moving forwards.

Try put different combos until one clicks. Main key is intent. Saim ayub has right intent but isn't standard for international so check players with similar intent.

Try combos with sharjeel, Shabzada farhan, Abdullah shafiq, Saud shakeel, Muhammad haris, Omair bin yousaf, Fakhar zaman and many more until one sticks the landing.

That's usually how most teams operate excluding India atm, because India is suffering from ego bias towards rohit and kohli, jaiswal shpuld be opening.

Look at how England tried over the years. They tried so many combos even absurd combos from moeen ali opening.

It's always about the team and who gells and what gells. Opening is not babar and rizwan's baap ki seat that they must sit on it 24/7

Every T20 batsman in Pakistan squad is a failure; but some fail more than others.

Our batsmen do not have what it takes to be aggressive and calculated T20i batsmen.

Their timid personalities, lack of fitness, lack of game awareness, lack of improvisation, the lot - none of it is on display.

With the exception of Naseem Shah and Abrar, there are no alternatives. All have proven to be flops.

• Fakhar Zaman - Still riding off that 1 CT17 final innings, utterly hopeless in T20is. Abject failure as T20 opener after nearly 40 attempts.

The days we stop using PSL as a barometer for international standard, is the day Pakistan cricket starts moving forwards.
Right, Ct 2017 was the only innings fakhar ever played in odi that's worth a praise.

There is sadly other barometer though. What else do we pick them on? QEA trophy is the wrong format, National T20 cup is a bit of a joke. There is literally just the PSL...and the players playing in that league are the ones we have in the side.

Of course that isn't to say we shouldn't strengthen the PSL, but at the moment it is the only way of drafting players into the T20 squad.

Put Ayub & Haris in 4 day cricket for a year they both look malnourished the amount of times if seen the bat twist in there hands whilst playing shots. 1 decent ball outside off stump it’s goodnight . iv got nothing against the youngsters but it is what it is.

In fact whoever refuses to play 4 day cricket shouldn’t represent Pak.. we’ve seen what standards these cpl psl are.

They can only play at 3 and 4 or get dropped. What people fail to realise is that you don't really need anchors in T20 or you can have one at best but its a very defensive strategy. Rizwan is a very limited batsman as his offside game is very poor, if you block his scoring shots he gets stuck in the crease and goes nowhere.

I think Mo Haris should ideally be in the team, i know he has been out of form recently but you have to give him an extended run and see what he can do. Both openers need to go from ball one and take advantage of the power play. Even if wickets are falling they should play positively and attack, that is the only way to put any pressure on the opposing team and this is what the best teams like Australia and England do. You have to play without fear, my top 4 would be:

1. Fakhar
2. Saim
3. Babar
4. Mo Haris

A call to all those of who were dropped as babies, who believe that Rizwan and Babar are stat padders, play for themselves, should be axed from the Pakistan team etc, can we please have names of who should replace these guys?

I don't want to hear the PCB needs to be disbanded, our boys need to play more franchise cricket etc. Rizwan and Babar don't have control of which players are coming through the system, or which players don't do well in the PSL. Nor do they have an impact on which Pakistani players play in foreign leagues.

The floor is all yours!
Let’s say we can’t find an alternative. Will we keep playing babar and rizwan till they’re 50?

At some point you’ve got to move on. Just move on.

Look at us now - what have they given us. We are on the cusp of being knocked out. We may not win a game. At the very least giving chances to to the likes of Saim, Haris, Haseebullah or whatever else you could say ok, we lost but they have got some experience.

Some hope.

Instead we’ll get Babar saying we are (still) learning. Iftikhar will improve once he gets his pension, Rizwan and me, give us another 4 years and we’ll muster some courage from somewhere.

Rizbar get criticized for their tuktuk batting and yesterday all that was needed of them was tuktuk batting for 20 overs and they fucked up. Unbelievable. I feel Shaheen lobby sabotaged yesterday's match to end Babar's stint as captain. All is not well in Pak's dressing room.

Try put different combos until one clicks. Main key is intent. Saim ayub has right intent but isn't standard for international so check players with similar intent.

Try combos with sharjeel, Shabzada farhan, Abdullah shafiq, Saud shakeel, Muhammad haris, Omair bin yousaf, Fakhar zaman and many more until one sticks the landing.

That's usually how most teams operate excluding India atm, because India is suffering from ego bias towards rohit and kohli, jaiswal shpuld be opening.

Look at how England tried over the years. They tried so many combos even absurd combos from moeen ali opening.

It's always about the team and who gells and what gells. Opening is not babar and rizwan's baap ki seat that they must sit on it 24/7

Sharjeel has past his prime so forget sharjeel.

Moreover, Selecting Abdullah shafiq and Saud shakeel will be another step backward.

If you are really serious to bring change. Then give a proper run to M. Harris, saim ayub, irfan niazi, agha Salman and may be Haider Ali.

Not the end of the world without Rizwan Babar

Every successful team needs patience persistence and adaptability for starters get Ab Shafiq and Muhammad Haris in for the decorated RizBar

The premise of the question is incorrect.
If something is not working, you don’t simply carry on doing it in the unrealistic expectation that it might somehow miraculously work at some indeterminant time in the future.

Try something different, it may not work, but what is clear what we are doing at the moment is failing.

I would agree on this.
Abdullah shafi, Harris, saud, Farhan are playing in all formats for quite long they can easily be added replacing tried failures.
I was watching the highlights last night on YouTube and Omair bin yousuf batting link came up. After watching three to four videos of his batting, I can say that he has all the shots, temperament and skills to be a middle order or even a one down.
I believe pak along with many talented batsmen, quickly discarded Danish Aziz. He could be a batting spinner allrounder in the late order. He have won matches in domestic matches.
I don't know why Aamir Jamal, Osama Mir, Salman agha was not selected but azam, sharable selected.

I would agree on this.
Abdullah shafi, Harris, saud, Farhan are playing in all formats for quite long they can easily be added replacing tried failures.
I was watching the highlights last night on YouTube and Omair bin yousuf batting link came up. After watching three to four videos of his batting, I can say that he has all the shots, temperament and skills to be a middle order or even a one down.
I believe pak along with many talented batsmen, quickly discarded Danish Aziz. He could be a batting spinner allrounder in the late order. He have won matches in domestic matches.
I don't know why Aamir Jamal, Osama Mir, Salman agha was not selected but azam, sharable selected.
No team on the planet, not even Uganda would consider the idea of Having someone like Azam who besides League cricket is crap and his weight will never allow him to play odi or test as your frontline keeper in t20 over actual Middle order batters like omair irrespective of where they bat.

Anyone who has a basic understanding of cricket can tell that shadab is a tailender. He has no footwork, he holds the bat with a bottom hand and randomly swings into the air, His 40 of 20 happens once per every 8 to 10 games as when you slog like an idiot, you're bound to get a shahid afridi like innings once here and their. But he is not a batter, he has no cricketing strokes.

Same with azam and same with chacha, chacha just tries to muscle everything and Azam does the same. Unlike azam and shadab, Chacha has cricketing strokes but their all slog sweeps or a few cut shots here and their. He does not have unorthodox strokes, nor does he has lofted flicks needed to be a finisher.

Babar and Rizwan are irreplaceable.

Nobody can do what they do.

Nobody can average 40 in T20i’s apart from Babar and Rizwan.

For Babar and Rizwan fans, consistency is all that matters to them.

Jos Buttler and Phil Salt should be dropped for averaging a pathetic 35.

England should bring back Joe Root who can average 60 in T20, how many English batsmen can average 60 in T20?

rebuild! We have players like me. Get me in that team. I will make sure that we don’t ever Misbah Ifthikhar or Any tuktuk test players in t20 or ODI

There is sadly other barometer though. What else do we pick them on? QEA trophy is the wrong format, National T20 cup is a bit of a joke. There is literally just the PSL...and the players playing in that league are the ones we have in the side.

Of course that isn't to say we shouldn't strengthen the PSL, but at the moment it is the only way of drafting players into the T20 squad.
I would go straight to the U19s.

rebuild! We have players like me. Get me in that team. I will make sure that we don’t ever Misbah Ifthikhar or Any tuktuk test players in t20 or ODI
Me and you will open bro

We will get out in the first ball for ducks. But we will give it our best to hit every ball for a boundary. Who cares bro? Let’s go for it!

Me and you will open bro

We will get out in the first ball for ducks. But we will give it our best to hit every ball for a boundary. Who cares bro? Let’s go for it!
I thought I was the only emotional one 😭

You cant have 2 anchors at the top, one of rizwan or babar should open along with an attacking opener (fakhar, saim, mohammad haris etc..)

Ideally should have 2 openers who play attacking cricket, babar is best suited at 3

Saim Ayub and Mohammad Haris. And they should specifically told that we don't care how many times you fail. You have x amount of matches or series to show us what you've got.

The fear of failure is what holds back our young players. And alot of the time, they start forgetting who they are to hold their place in the side. If they are empowered to go out there and play their natural game in these meaningless bilateral series, you could get something out of them. Otherwise we will have another crop of batters that are mentally incapable of taking the attack to the opposition or dominating the game.

Rizwan and Babar should call it a day in T20 cricket. They have been embarrassed humiliated shattered and stunned no point hanging around now

The floor is all yours!
Option-1 Continue with Babar & Rizwan as openers for next 10 years and keep losing against teams like Zim, Ireland, USA etc. and many more international tournaments. And then keep saying these 2 are the best we have, there is no one better on the bench

Option-2 Discard at least 5-6 players from the current squad including Babar & Rizwan as they have lost several international tournaments and replace them with the best available lot and keep finding the best options. It's a duty of PCB & selectors to explore the best options from domestic circuit, fans can never find players.

Based on last 3-4 years performance I can say without any doubt that Option-1 will be a guaranteed failure whereas Option-2 will provide opportunities to other deserving players even if it comes at a loss of few series/matches

Jeez, its even more ridiculous to suggest there's no one that can replace them. Its this mindset that has brought PCT to minnow level.

Even Usman Khan too... he also needs to be kicked out
He's not really selfish. He can flourish in an actual system where proper coaching and grooming exists and not a system where everyone attacks each as if floyd mayweather is gonna tussle with Mike Tyson

has to be haris and saim, even if they average 20 at a s/r of 150 it'll be better than this.

how did pak go from being one of the most attacking teams twenty years ago to making the england odi side of the 90s look cutting edge.

fans need to be brave, we will have tonnes of failures along the way if he want the style to change.

Me and you will open bro

can I join in as a finisher?

All of the comments here are about replacing Babar and Rizwan as the players which is fine.

What about the other elephant in the room - who will be the captain if not Babar? I posed this question after 2023 ODI fiasco and people said Imad Wasim who now looks like a useless hack even as a player let alone as captain of the team.

We all know that Babar is not a good captain. So who is the replacement that can become a good captain?

Me and you will open bro

I bet you will be for sale for a few quids. We don’t need anymore corrupt players and match fixers, thank you.

Jeez, its even more ridiculous to suggest there's no one that can replace them. Its this mindset that has brought PCT to minnow level.
Name your replacements. Less talk and more action please.

Without Babar and Rizwan, the Pakistan team will reach new lows. They would drop to the level of associate teams.
We are not at that level with those two in the team?

What’s the meaning of being at associate level? Fluking the odd win against big teams? That’s what we do anyways

We are not at that level with those two in the team?

What’s the meaning of being at associate level? Fluking the odd win against big teams? That’s what we do anyways
So what has Imad added to the team.

Name your replacements. Less talk and more action please.
These guys clearly haven’t worked in management or held a position with any influence. In the real world, a person would be slaughtered if they complained about how a task is being performed, but then had no ideas to perform the task better.

I call this PTI supporter mentality. Lots of complaining about the system and pointing fingers about a few individuals, but then do sod all when they are given the mandate

These guys clearly haven’t worked in management or held a position with any influence. In the real world, a person would be slaughtered if they complained about how a task is being performed, but then had no ideas to perform the task better.

I call this PTI supporter mentality. Lots of complaining about the system and pointing fingers about a few individuals, but can’t do sod all when they are given the mandate
There is one simple rule in the corporate world. Don’t just come forward with problems. Come forward with solutions to the problems.

So what has Imad added to the team.
Imad is a bowling all-rounder; you can't expect him to win matches with the bat. He may contribute sometimes here and there, but you can't blame him when the main batsmen are falling around him. He bowled well, and all bowlers did well. It's a collective failure of the batsmen. You need to blame all batsmen before pointing fingers at Imad.

He added enough to Islamabad united to knock Babar’s team out of the PSL after roasting him for months on TV.
So that is what Imad fans have been reduced to? Clinging on to PSL because their messiah got exposed for Pakistan.

I bet not in a million years did you ever think that he would play a knock like this.

Name your replacements. Less talk and more action please
Shafique, Haris, Uzzy Khan to start with can replace one of them at least. And if Riz can be shoved to the opener slot cos he can't play anywhere else then same can be said for others that are waiting in the wings like Tayyib and SAG.

Saim yet may come good, has the ingredients, needs to use more brain though. So yeah, I believe there are others out there, looks like Rizba has burned out.

The floor is all yours!
Haris and Saim, judge them on their SR not average.

Imad is a bowling all-rounder; you can't expect him to win matches with the bat. He may contribute sometimes here and there, but you can't blame him when the main batsmen are falling around him. He bowled well, and all bowlers did well. It's a collective failure of the batsmen. You need to blame all batsmen before pointing fingers at Imad.
When you tell Imad fans that he averages 60+ with the ball vs the top 5 ODI sides, they tell you that his strong suit is batting and he is a batting all-rounder.

When you tell Imad fans that he averages 15 with the bat in T20Is, they tell that his strong suit is bowling and he is a bowling all-rounder.

Shafique, Haris, Uzzy Khan to start with can replace one of them at least. And if Riz can be shoved to the opener slot cos he can't play anywhere else then same can be said for others that are waiting in the wings like Tayyib and SAG.

Saim yet may come good, has the ingredients, needs to use more brain though. So yeah, I believe there are others out there, looks like Rizba has burned out.
Okay.

I would rather play with 9 then these 2 losers. Any one and I mean even a nobody can replace. They have achieved 0, nothing at all.

Bro you forgot to add he is a self proclaimed worlds best allrounder with dodgy kneecaps from Lalamusa bazaar

I would rather play with 9 than these 2 losers. Any one and I mean even a nobody can replace. They have achieved 0, nothing at all.
10 wicket T20 win vs India in Dubai World T20 is bigger than any win Pak win vs India in ICC competition history. The joy they gave fans that day is unparalleled

10 wicket T20 win vs India in Dubai World T20 is bigger than any win Pak win vs India in ICC competition history. The joy they gave fans that day is unparalleled
That was like what 3 years ago? They have been horrible for such a long time now. Babar especially is done. He has been a pathetic captain and has been exposed big time.

You got to move with the times and circumstances, can't continue to live off what happened years ago forever. IE can't continue to offer a free ride, this is where we are going wrong. Chacha is also benefitting from free rides.

It is a fact that Babar Azam is the ONLY Pakistani captain in history to give Pakistani fans happiness and joy after a World Cup match vs India.

Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Malik, Afridi, Hafeez, Misbah, Sarfaraz. These captain don’t know anything about beating India in a World Cup.

You can drop Babar and Rizwan and nothing will change. You don’t have their replacements. Pakistan should start with replacing Iftikhar, Imad, Usman Khan and Shadab.

It is a fact that Babar Azam is the ONLY Pakistani captain in history to give Pakistani fans happiness and joy after a World Cup match vs India.

Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Malik, Afridi, Hafeez, Misbah, Sarfaraz. These captain don’t know anything about beating India in a World Cup.
TBF, T20 wasn't around for the first three and Misbah no matter how many times he would face India would never have the mettle to beat them.

The players you mention, majority of them had many wins over India. Babar is a nobody in front of them.

The players you mention, majority of them had many wins over India. Babar is a nobody in front of them.
None of them know the first thing about beating India in a World Cup. Babar does. It is a fact and you have to live with it.

None of them know the first thing about beating India in a World Cup. Babar does. It is a fact and you have to live with it.
A win in a group stage game? So what. Whag else has he actually achieved. Lets talk about the game that really mattered in THAT WC. His tuk tuk made sure we left 10 to 15 runs out there in the SF vs Aus.

A win in a group stage game? So what. Whag else has he actually achieved. Lets talk about the game that really mattered in THAT WC. His tuk tuk made sure we left 10 to 15 runs out there in the SF vs Aus.
As I said, it is a fact that you have to live with. You can come up with your coping mechanisms to feel better about it and soothe the pain but that is your call not mine.

While it’s a fact that Babar has one win as captain against India in a WC, the other fact which you are omitting is he has never been able to take this knowledge, or in your words “knowing the first thing about beating India in a World Cup” and replicate it. This just shows how poor of a captain and tactician Babar is. He is a good batsman, but an atrocious captain. If he knew how to beat India in a WC, he would be able to do it more than once. The fact that he hasn’t tells us everything we need to know.

While it’s a fact that Babar has one win as captain against India in a WC, the other fact which you are omitting is he has never been able to take this knowledge, or in your words “knowing the first thing about beating India in a World Cup” and replicate it. This just shows how poor of a captain and tactician Babar is. He is a good batsman, but an atrocious captain. If he knew how to beat India in a WC, he would be able to do it more than once. The fact that he hasn’t tells us everything we need to know.
That is still one more than all Pakistani captains in history put together. God bestowed Babar with this honor.

That is still one more than all Pakistani captains in history put together. God bestowed Babar with this honor.
And the King then squandered this honour with some of the most embarrassing performances in recent memory, that too against India. What an honour indeed.

Indian fans seem more mature talking about PCT than many Pak fans.

They cannot let go of their favourites and like-dislikes, the fans seem as toxic as the players

I hated Rohit for first half of his career but i was more than happy to realise he became an excellent opener for us.

You literally are trolling here.

What does " God bestowed Babar with this honor" even mean?

It's a cricket match, not a religious sermon.

The floor is all yours!

There is no point naming replacements because Babar and Rizwan will not move from opening spots.

Any replacement that does not get 20 games without Babar and Rizwan hovering over the team is "technically" not a replacement.

Kick out Babar and Rizwan.

Let Fakhar and Saim open for 20-25 games without any threat from Babar and Rizwan EVER BEING ABLE TO COME BACK AGAIN.

Then watch the team grow.

But you can't.

You mentioned somewhere about "corporate world".

Truth is, you know nothing about "corporate world" because if you knew anything about it, you would know that any company that keeps status quo despite failing for 3 years is already gone. IT doesn't matter if the company has no replacements or not, but being status quo without any improvements is NOT how corporations work.

Players that can replace Rizwan: Sarfraz, Azam, Haris, Haseebullah, Aklhaq, Zeeshan Ashraf, Adnan Akmal, Rehan Afridi, Umair Masood, Rizwan Hussain and many more

Players that can replace Babar: Saud, Abdullah, Salman Ali Agha, Omair Bin Yusuf and probably 2-3 other guys

If there is a whole new setup to be there, farhan, fakhar, abdullah, saim should be there but we all have seen how saim has performed as an opener. Do we really think that babar and rizwan are going anywhere when the replacements are not there.

Maybe pakistan can try fakhar as an opener with riz and make babar 3. That is the best they can do.

Yes but they do know joy of humiliating India in a final and making the nation proud going into a tourney as underdogs.

Don't use the word World cup as of he beat them on the biggest stage.

World cup > Ct > T20 World Cup in terms of historic value.

Ct and World cup(Odi) have been around for longer, and CT and WC happen after entire long periods whereas t20 world cups happen every 2 years heck in the case of the covid era, every single year.

Both are icc events with CT having more historical relevance. Babar's t20 world cup win means nothing if they got removed as a unit in the semi final.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back