All-Out Cricket : Lord’s Trade Show: Bat Reviews

Cover Drive

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Newbery Tour

RRP £400

The first £400 bat we’ve seriously looked at, this new-for-2012 addition to the Newbery catalogue looks superb. Less sharply hollowed out on the rear profile (the theory being that this adds additional stability to the blade and reduces twisting when the bat makes impact with the ball), the powder blue range comes with pads at £75, gloves at £55 and matching wicketkeeping shinguards and gloves.

Newbery1-300x194.jpg

Chase Volante

RRP from £250

Chase has ‘gone for it’ with regards livery and styling for the new season. Usually single-colour in design, the new range boasts an almost F1-looking set-up. The Volante is one of two brand-new bats from the company – although it’s based loosely on the Beluga shape from the previous range – and the makers have high hopes for its slimline looks. The bat boasts a higher middle than the company’s low-slung best-seller, the Finback. Interesting fact: the top-of-the-range Volante (£330) boasts a four-leaf clover shoulder motif, inspired by company founder Robin ‘Judge’ Smith.

Chase-Volante1-211x300.jpg

Salix Strike

RRP from £310

The blade of the all-new Salix Strike is an eighth-of-an-inch narrower than a conventional equivalent and also sports distinctive dropped shoulders. These innovations all come together to condense the bat’s profile and make it look super-compact and supremely well engineered. The bat boasts sinuous lines and the sleekest edge profile we’ve seen of late. Simply top drawer.

Salix-207x300.jpg

Mongoose Torq

RRP from £345

Because the public demanded it, this is the first full-sized bat from this innovative manufacturer. Still packing the brand’s distinctive half splice, yet to all intents and purposes this is a conventional bat, and a decidedly sharp looking one at that. Marcus Trescothick used one in 2011 – recommendations don’t come much higher than that.

Mongoose-202x300.jpg

Slazenger Bat Range

RRP from £150

2012 sees livery tweaks to the Slazenger range rather than any new product. Ultra-flamboyant stickers and bat rubbers are finished off with the first ever two-colour toe guards, and the range also sport new ‘octoplus’ grips that have apparently gone down very well with the brand’s Test-playing stable of cricketers.

Slazenger-300x194.jpg

Willostix Slugger

RRP £225

Unashamedly inspired by baseball bat design (right down to the heel at the end of the handle for extra leverage), these bad boys weigh in at somewhere between 2lbs 12ozs and 3lbs and change. Not for the timid shotmaker, these see-it-and-hit-it bats are aimed at the player that likes to swing through the line of the ball and send it straight back over the sightscreen. Fetch that!

Willostix-204x300.jpg

Link: http://www.alloutcricket.com/player/gear/lords-trade-show-bat-reviews-part-one

Bats prices are significantly increasing next year so that is not a surprise really.

Screaming Cat deserves that price tag as it is hand made etc while Newbery aren't really handmade.

Kashif Bhai, I'd say you got your Thruxton SPS on lucky days, in 2012 Thruxton SPS will be near Tour SPS in terms of price tag

Kashif Bhai, I'd say you got your Thruxton SPS on lucky days, in 2012 Thruxton SPS will be near Tour SPS in terms of price tag

Well said bro, totally agree ... Plus we still don't know how Tour would be? I mean pickup/sweet spot etc. so it's price kinda exaggerated for me

I did post pictures of Tour earlier in 2012 Range thread not sure if you saw them

I did post pictures of Tour earlier in 2012 Range thread not sure if you saw them

I saw them yes ... but you or anybody had the feel of the bat? How is the ping? How does it feel in the nets etc.? This is what I am talking about. Yes this is Newbery, you can't expect something not top thing from them but yea may be the name is the price now :)

(P.S. I am not getting e-mail notifications of threads after maintenance; notified the admins via site but still no news)

Good questions :)

To me shape wise it is a bit like GM Flare

(PS: did you get emails before? Users don't get threads notifications of threads email really)

Good questions :)

To me shape wise it is a bit like GM Flare

(PS: did you get emails before? Users don't get threads notifications of threads email really)

Yes I was getting e-mail notifications; I had to go to Advance & chose the option of Notification Type from Thread Subscription

Salix strike, 1/8" blade narrower? That's up there with the GN edge as the most foolish innovation in cricket bat technology. If I bought one, and got bowled by one that goes just past the outside edge, that bat would be in the bin before I got into the change rooms.

Salix strike, 1/8" blade narrower? That's up there with the GN edge as the most foolish innovation in cricket bat technology. If I bought one, and got bowled by one that goes just past the outside edge, that bat would be in the bin before I got into the change rooms.

What is shameful is that they used a stonker and belter of cleft for that Salix Strike on Lords Show :facepalm:

Same idea as the BC Joker.

Well, no. The BC Joker has a shortened blade, similar to the original mongooses. The strike has a narrower blade. I cannot even fathom the thinking behind this. Presumably you can get an incremental increase in the amount of wood in the hitting area. Why not just go out there with a technique bat?

The BC Joker has a thinner blade. Seriously, buy one and check it if you don't believe me.

1/8th thinner makes it the same width as a Harrow blade. I wouldn't say it's as bad as the edge idea, though I wouldn't use it.

Back