Anyone here who eats beef being a Hindu?

Murakh

Tape Ball Regular
Runs
Any one who eats beef like me? im a hindu though but i like beef and it also available at cheap price in india.

hahaha . Your name is so funny . So many people eat beef in India & yes it is cheaper than mutton but more expensive than pork .

ya specialy in kerala but some of frnd said me not to eat beef bcoz it can causes deseas and its sin to eat goumata.is that true? the first one specialy

guess they eat it more in south cos honestly I have never seen a Hindu eating beef here in north .

ya specialy in kerala but some of frnd said me not to eat beef bcoz it can causes deseas and its sin to eat goumata.is that true? the first one specialy

I don't think its correct , soo many people in this world consumes beef ,its just a RSS propaganda to refrain people from eating it ..its like muslims saying pork is bad for health reasons

hahaha . Your name is so funny . So many people eat beef in India & yes it is cheaper than mutton but more expensive than pork .

:facepalm:

just because others do it, so he should also??

@Murakh.....how can you even think about eating GAO MATA :danish

Moi. Love it. Don't care about the religion boohaha.

*nom nom nom*

Calling cow the mother and then selling it to other beef consuming states/countries,people is the hypocrisy of the highest order.

once a student wrote this in his answer sheet during exam
Gaay hamari maata hai , hamko Kuch nahin aata hai
Teacher replied
Bel hamara baap hai number Dena paap hai:yk

Calling cow the mother and then selling it to other beef consuming states/countries,people is the hypocrisy of the highest order.

Hypocrisy from whom? Surely our old school, properly religious elders are not among those and truly consider Cow sacred.

:facepalm:

just because others do it, so he should also??

@Murakh.....how can you even think about eating GAO MATA :danish

Because i dont drink gou matas milk for last 2 years or so And chacha's beef biriyani is too good only 35rs cant help my self.:gul

guess they eat it more in south cos honestly I have never seen a Hindu eating beef here in north .

i am a bengali hindu brahmin.i have seen many hindus eating beef here in kolkata park circus.some of my frnds like it too and some are not.my parent dont know i eat beef if they then i wont be here saying this to you.holly cow

I had yesterday.

Though I am not very fond of but had eaten few times.

To make it more worse, I am a brahmin. I am definitely going to hell if there is one :D

I tried many different kinds of meat during a short-lived and juvenile period of cultural rebellion after I came to the West. I can't speak for others, but I simply could not stand the taste or the feeling of consuming the flesh of sentient beings. Before I tried meat, I would often hear from carnivorous friends that there was nothing comparable in vegetarian cuisine to the taste of meat and that it was something sublime. But to me, there was nothing special to its taste. It was entirely underwhelming. But, the matter of taste paled in comparison to the visceral, almost instinctive, repulsion my body experienced in the act of consuming flesh. If I allowed myself to even think about the pain experienced by the animal in its slaughter, the extinction of its animus through violence, I was almost forced to retch. I had to repress the voice of my conscience simply to be able to eat meat.

All in all, it was not a pleasant experience. I came to realize that no amount of teenage angst-driven desire to craft an identity apart from my parents was worth sacrificing my ethical scruples. My parents come from meat-eating Hindu families, but they independently decided at a young age to become vegetarians for ethical reasons. My mother did so because she grew up very close to a butcher's shop and was often subjected to the screams and squeals of animals being slaughtered. My parents made their beliefs clear to me when I was a child and which subconsciously became a part of my own ethics, but they didn't force anything upon me. I am glad for that because I've seen too many Hindu (and Jain) families impose vegetarianism as a mere custom or cultural habit on their children, without explaining the ethical basis of the practice and in particular, the principle of ahimsa found in Jainism, Hinduism, and Buddhism. Their children come to think of vegetarianism not as a matter of ethics, but as a hereditary and archaic tradition to be discarded as they adapt to the modern age.

Last edited:
I tried many different kinds of meat during a short-lived and juvenile period of cultural rebellion after I came to the West. I can't speak for others, but I simply could not stand the taste or the feeling of consuming the flesh of sentient living beings. Before I tried meat, I would often hear from carnivorous friends that there was nothing comparable in vegetarian cuisine to the taste of meat and that it was something sublime. But to me, there was nothing special to its taste. It was entirely underwhelming. But, the matter of taste paled in comparison to the visceral, almost instinctive, repulsion my body experienced in the act of consuming flesh. If I allowed myself to even think about the pain experienced by the animal in its slaughter, the extinction of its animus through violence, I was almost forced to retch. I had to repress the voice of my conscience simply to be able to eat meat.

All in all, it was not a pleasant experience. I came to realize that no amount of teenage angst-driven desire to craft an identity apart from my parents was worth sacrificing my ethical scruples. My parents come from meat-eating Hindu families, but they independently decided at a young age to become vegetarians for ethical reasons. My mother did so because she grew up very close to a butcher's shop and was often subjected to the screams and squeals of animals being slaughtered. My parents made their beliefs clear to me when I was a child and which subconsciously became a part of my own ethics, but they didn't force anything upon me. I am glad for that because I've seen too many Hindu (and Jain) families impose vegetarianism as a mere custom or cultural habit on their children, without explaining the ethical basis of the practice and in particular, the principle of ahimsa found in Jainism, Hinduism, and Buddhism. Their children come to think of vegetarianism not as a matter of ethics, but as a hereditary and archaic tradition to be discarded as they adapt to the modern age.

Nice post. I know a Hindu couple who have brought their children up in England as vegetarians and from what I understand it would be very difficult for them to suddenly start eating meat having been used to a vegetarian diet from birth. I'm not sure they would be able to do it without some phsyical reaction, either being sick or having trouble digesting it.

Hindus can eat beef. In the Vedas, there's no particular interdiction. I think it was formalized in later, modern Hinduism (Manu-smriti) because, like caste system, it responded to a social need (I'm still researching why, I don't think that it's because of Buddhist or Jain influence exclusively), but it's not part of the dharma as shruti (revealed) texts show it.

I know probably 20 hindus from India in the US. All eat Beef and love it. Some of them only started when they shifted to the US

On the other hand, I know lets say 7-8 hindus in Karachi. Not only do none of them eat beef, but all but one are fully vegeterian.. I find this strange

Conversely, I know lots and lots of Muslims who drink but not one muslim I have know eats pork or even wondered what it tastes like. Me included... I always wonder why many Muslims are so open to drink all kinds of alcohol drinks but when pork comes into the picture they act as if omebody offended them

I tried many different kinds of meat during a short-lived and juvenile period of cultural rebellion after I came to the West. I can't speak for others, but I simply could not stand the taste or the feeling of consuming the flesh of sentient beings. Before I tried meat, I would often hear from carnivorous friends that there was nothing comparable in vegetarian cuisine to the taste of meat and that it was something sublime. But to me, there was nothing special to its taste. It was entirely underwhelming. But, the matter of taste paled in comparison to the visceral, almost instinctive, repulsion my body experienced in the act of consuming flesh. If I allowed myself to even think about the pain experienced by the animal in its slaughter, the extinction of its animus through violence, I was almost forced to retch. I had to repress the voice of my conscience simply to be able to eat meat.

No need to mess with the food chain..

Ethical reaons....This is all BS!

Any one who eats beef being a hindu

Hindus in US love beef. Most of the pakistani rest r filled with hindus. No joke. But anyway this is a stupid thread. How about any Muslim here who eats pork?

No need to mess with the food chain..

Ethical reaons....This is all BS!

It is a matter of minimizing the harm that one commits to sentient living beings with the ability to experience pain and suffering. In a world in which suffering and violence is ubiquitous, we humans have the singular ability to reason, to develop and evaluate our actions against systems of ethics, and to effect changes, as limited as they may be, in our world. We can empathize and reflect on the consequences of our actions upon the lives of others and thereby strive to reduce the suffering and harm inflicted upon other living beings.

Jains and some Hindu communities have practiced vegetarianism for thousands of years. We haven't gone extinct, we haven't suffered negative repercussions to our health and well-being. It's fine if you consider this kind of ethical thinking to be "BS", but I know I can live a healthy life without needing to consume the flesh of sentient beings or to be responsible, even if indirectly, for their slaughter and so I choose to act upon that ability.

Last edited:
I don't think its correct , soo many people in this world consumes beef ,its just a RSS propaganda to refrain people from eating it ..its like muslims saying pork is bad for health reasons

Well, not only Muslims, Jews and some christians say that too, infact it has been proven and there are tonnes of youtube material on the evidence :). There is always a reason why Islam always prohibited Pork & Alcohol :)

Watch Pakistanis apply for Indian visa now after reading that beef is cheap in India

It is a matter of minimizing the harm that one commits to sentient living beings with the ability to experience pain and suffering. In a world in which suffering and violence is ubiquitous, we humans have the singular ability to reason, to develop and evaluate our actions against systems of ethics, and to effect changes, as limited as they may be, in our world. We can empathize and reflect on the consequences of our actions upon the lives of others and thereby strive to reduce the suffering and harm inflicted upon other living beings.

Jains and some Hindu communities have practiced vegetarianism for thousands of years. We haven't gone extinct, we haven't suffered negative repercussions to our health and well-being. It's fine if you consider this kind of ethical thinking to be "BS", but I know I can live a healthy life without needing to consume the flesh of sentient beings or to be responsible, even if indirectly, for their slaughter and so I choose to act upon that ability.

If these same animals were not killing other living things to sustain themselves then the argument would have some weight but as long as they do not change then there is no viable reason. Any 'moral' or 'ethical' reason is just plain nonsense.

Only religious reasons would hold I guess... Or just plain preference

I do. The burgers you get at Wendys and Five Guys are super tasty.

If these same animals were not killing other living things to sustain themselves then the argument would have some weight but as long as they do not change then there is no viable reason. Any 'moral' or 'ethical' reason is just plain nonsense.

Only religious reasons would hold I guess... Or just plain preference

We are not the same as those animals. We have the ability to reason; we can empathize with the pain and suffering of other living beings, including animals; we can develop systems of ethics to reduce suffering in the world and act conscientiously according to those standards.

You can eat whatever you want without forcing your lifestyle on others and stop taking a moral high ground, frankly all the meat eaters don't care, thank you :)

We are not the same as those animals. We have the ability to reason; we can empathize with the pain and suffering of other living beings, including animals; we can develop systems of ethics to reduce suffering in the world and act conscientiously according to those standards.

Do your fellow vegans assign a day and mourn the loss of fellow animals? Do you guys cry that day? :)

Do your fellow vegans assign a day and mourn the loss of fellow animals? Do you guys cry that day? :)

I am pretty sure they kill the poor plants and vegetables!
After all they are living organisms too!
Why is one life more important than the other?

:p

You can eat whatever you want without forcing your lifestyle on others and stop taking a moral high ground, frankly all the meat eaters don't care, thank you :)

I was responding to a comment that called vegetarianism "BS". I don't care what your dietary choices are, but if you are going to criticize vegetarianism in an ignorant way, I think it's fair that I be allowed to explain the basis of the practice, at least as it's part of Hinduism, Jainism, and Buddhism and is relevant to this thread.

I am pretty sure they kill the poor plants and vegetables!
After all they are living organisms too!
Why is one life more important than the other?

This is just stupid now. Plants and vegetables are not sentient. They don't have the capacity to suffer and to feel pain. The principle of ahimsa, which underlies the practice of vegetarianism in Jainism, Buddhism, and some Hindu traditions, requires us to attempt to minimize the harm we commit to other sentient living beings.

The animals we avoid eating have some degree of consciousness, awareness, and even kinship with other members of their species, and most importantly, they can suffer and feel pain. Plants are not sentient in this way.

Last edited:
1352692147941_6961125.png

I personally know many hindus who eat beef. But yes they eat outside the homes , there families do not know about that.

Hindus can eat beef. In the Vedas, there's no particular interdiction. I think it was formalized in later, modern Hinduism (Manu-smriti) because, like caste system, it responded to a social need (I'm still researching why, I don't think that it's because of Buddhist or Jain influence exclusively), but it's not part of the dharma as shruti (revealed) texts show it.

Man!! You are good.

Here is the question. Is the human physical body built by nature to eat non veg / meat ?

i had a hindu friend who was a pure vegetarian at home ...but during cricket matches, when he saw all of us having beef-mutton burgers he used to join us and love them :)

This is just stupid now. Plants
and vegetables are not
sentient. They don't have the
capacity to suffer and to feel
pain. The principle of ahimsa,
which underlies the practice of vegetarianism in Jainism,
Buddhism, and some Hindu
traditions, requires us to
attempt to minimize the harm
we commit to other sentient
living beings. The animals we avoid eating
have some degree of
consciousness, awareness, and
even kinship with other
members of their species, and
most importantly, they can suffer and feel pain. Plants are
not sentient in this way.

are plants living things or not?

Do plants feel pain?
Some studies show they do.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-112942/Plants-talk-say-scientists.html

not saying its 100% conclusive but why eat anything if there is even 10% possibility that U are harming it.

shame on you for comparing FIVE Guys and Wendy's

Wendy's is rubbish. Five guys is streets ahead

I am not comparing. I love both the places and five guys do have the best burgers. But I do love the one dollar burgers at Wendy's.

Here is the question. Is the human physical body built by nature to eat non veg / meat ?
May not be.

Humans has canine teeth which vegetarian animals don't. So one could say humans were built to be omnivorous.

tasted both beef and pork.. i dont find anything special in beef :inzi

honestly i cant differentiate between sheep and goat meat..
beef also tasted like sheep/goat meat..

kerala beef curry + kerala paratha is my fav beef dish :inzi

In my experience many of these animal rights activists eat meat themselves.

I respect herbivorous humans if they're making a personal, private, ethical choice - but some of the holier-than-thou comments above have got my 'goat'. Veggies and vegans at times almost treat their decision to not eat meat as a religious practice, and can seem intent on forcing their lettuce leaves and 4-bean salads down the evil protein-strengthened throats of the rest of us.

Please don't tell the rest of us that we're immoral people and certainly don't make one of those nonsense arguments (the sort of which I've heard a few times) that says humans aren't even supposed to eat other animals. We may have built a civilisation, but we are still part of nature and a food chain; of course we have the right to consume other animals.

Plus, farm animal meat just tastes bloody amazing.

Indians are still pretty religious it seems, you still can't buy a beefburger from McDonalds over there.

If I am not mistaken Hindus are not allowed to eat beef, as muslims are not allowed to eat prok. So on religious grounds you should not have it.

IMO you should take this issue up in places where you will get more Hindus to talk about this topic.

A Bangladeshi friend of mine cooked this most amazing spicy beef curry which he claims is the most common curry in Bangladesh. It went so well with the thick daal and rice he made it with. After that I just fell in love beef.

I used to request him to call me when he made the curry, and like a brother he always obliged. :)

I love Beef Biryani..... The real Biryani.....

Chicken just ruined the taste of it.

I have eaten a lot of things which is available on high street like crocodile, horse, pork, beef,octopus,duck, lamb. But most of the time havent been able to finish them apart from when its a indian veggie or chicken.

Know quite a lot of people who fall in similar category.

Beef kanti with tandoori naans or butter naans is my favourite.

Not sure about nature but God created Adam and Eve as vegetarians.

are plants living things or not?

Do plants feel pain?
Some studies show they do.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-112942/Plants-talk-say-scientists.html

not saying its 100% conclusive but why eat anything if there is even 10% possibility that U are harming it.
Fruits are designed to be plucked without hurting the plants. Root vegetables are a different matter as plucking the roots kills the plants.

Sorry, what friends are these? Can you clarify?

Well, not only Muslims, Jews and some christians say that too, infact it has been proven and there are tonnes of youtube material on the evidence :). There is always a reason why Islam always prohibited Pork & Alcohol :)

Actually nope. Youtube videos prove nothing. I can put a couple of worms in beef video tomorrow on youtube if you want.

None of the scientific studies show that well cooked pork is more harmful than any other meat. In fact beef too causes fatal, harmful diseases like Mad-Cow disease. Will you avoid beef? Red meat is worse for the heart than alcohol. Would you avoid that?

It's ok to say you don't eat because of religious belief. It's not ok to claim something as a scientific fact when its clearly non-sense

We are part of the food chain, we're omnivores by default, these are the facts, we're neither vegans nor only meat eaters. We're at the top of the food chain, this is environmental science 101 :dav

I eat beef, i am fan of In n Out burgers. I born veg hindu family and my family currently, is vegan(big jump from veg to vegan). I eat whenever i get chance to eat outside but not in house.

When i was in Gujarat, it is hard to find beef there, but you can still get it in Muslim getto areas like Kalupur or shah-E-Alam.

There are several mosque in Kalupur area where non muslims (sunni wahabi mosque) not allowed. This area freely sell and cook beef, I used to eat there.
I know several indians(gujarati) who eat beef, but it is not as popular in gujarat for jain/vaishanav/swaminarayan influence.

I think, i have to eat FIve guy burger now. Is there any special burger therei should order? Please guide me here. I never ate five guys before.

Please tell me more about your research. Sounds interesting.

Actually nope. Youtube videos prove nothing. I can put a couple of worms in beef video tomorrow on youtube if you want.

None of the scientific studies show that well cooked pork is more harmful than any other meat. In fact beef too causes fatal, harmful diseases like Mad-Cow disease. Will you avoid beef? Red meat is worse for the heart than alcohol. Would you avoid that?

It's ok to say you don't eat because of religious belief. It's not ok to claim something as a scientific fact when its clearly non-sense

Not talking about the coke/pork videos. Those are fake. Pig eats its own crap, and is a disgusting animal. Hence, would be one of the reason why it is prohibited in Islam, Judaism and even Christianity.

Regarding mad cow, well, that would happen if you feed a herbivore meat. So it was the farming methods that caused it. Feed chicken grains to a goat and you shall see the same disease there. :)

I have done my research in this, so I am not talking non-sense just because you want to defend pork eating :)

I see no point of this thread except for a poor trolling attempt. There are Muslims who eat pork, there are Hindus who eat beef. What's the big deal ?

If the ques is really genuine, then NO... eating food does not send you to heaven or hell. It just kills your hunger and makes you stronger. Sounds logical ??

Some alcohols are even said to be beneficial.

Great post !

Stop selling misinformation.
Cow is holy as per Hindus main text Gita. Cow has been regarded at the level of mother cause child drinks its milk to survive.

Now why this sacred status came, One reason I can think of is Hindus knew very well how to make good use of cow. Even bulls were usefull because unlike West we needed bulls to plough land.

Allthough not sure if Holy but people in West they dont eat Horse as its Work Horse.

Not talking about the coke/pork videos. Those are fake. Pig eats its own crap, and is a disgusting animal. Hence, would be one of the reason why it is prohibited in Islam, Judaism and even Christianity.

Regarding mad cow, well, that would happen if you feed a herbivore meat. So it was the farming methods that caused it. Feed chicken grains to a goat and you shall see the same disease there. :)

I have done my research in this, so I am not talking non-sense just because you want to defend pork eating :)

Please provide links. Saying ten times you have done research is not going to convince anyone.

A well fed, well bred pig will not eat it's own crap. And the point of mad-cow only happening because of feeding a herbivore meat is also completely made up and false

What is really funny is people bringing in such 'facts' just to prove their religious beliefs. A Hindu will convince you about ill effects of eating meat and beef. A Muslim will advise ill effects of pork. All of these are just beliefs, but for each one his own belief is the truth and others beliefs are laughable. The requirement of the hour is to let each person do what he believes in, instead of trying to prove anyone with a different belief wrong

Cow is holy as per Hindus main text Gita. Cow has been regarded at the level of mother cause child drinks its milk to survive.

Now why this sacred status came, One reason I can think of is Hindus knew very well how to make good use of cow. Even bulls were usefull because unlike West we needed bulls to plough land.

Allthough not sure if Holy but people in West they dont eat Horse as its Work Horse.

Sorry, you are wrong and he is right. It's a cultural and not a religious issue. Shaiviks and people from South never used to consider cow holy though they did worship the bull in the form of Nandi. It's only people of the north and center, for whom cows were a rare commodity who made it sacred to avoid getting people to eat it. It also tied in with Vaishnavs who worshiped Krishna who was a goat-herd. Vaishnavs and Shaiviks were two completely different sects in Hinduism

What if the child is old?

Back