Argentina defeat France 4-2 on penalties after a 3-3 draw to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup

Tense match. Morocco played very well.

Im backing them to win the penalty shootout. Just hit the ball hard to the left or right, no weak/lame pens and they will win.

Come on Lions!

Last 7 penalty shootouts have been won by team taking the 2nd turn, Morocco takes 1st here, bad omen.

Don't even get me started on the German media about this! There seems to be a united effort at wanting to downgrade the tournament. A five minute break during the matches, and they begin to moan about the issue of human rights violation, in their "Special reports", in Qatar and other Islamic countries, such Iran and Saudi Arabia! Can't they spare this stuff for others occasions, please?!

It is all backfiring anyway lol

Bono is a great penalty stopper. Remember him saving a big one for Sevilla to knockout an English club.

Come on, Morocco.

Russia knocked out Spain last time in a penalty shootout. Can Morocco do the same?

Spain has choked like it did all those years when i supported them lol

They can now go to semi-final.

Portugal and Switzerland aren't very good.

If God is supporting you, you cannot lose the World Cup. :)

Por and Swiss are good but yep both beatable . Semi will be tough v France but Morocco are the most organised side so far, they can hold out against any attack and win it late again.

Por and Swiss are good but yep both beatable . Semi will be tough v France but Morocco are the most organised side so far, they can hold out against any attack and win it late again.

Yeah. For sure. I would love to see them win the whole thing.

I think they have a very good chance of going to semi-final.

Achraf Hakimi made himself a hero with a chipped winning penalty as Morocco stunned Spain in a shootout after a goalless draw to reach the World Cup quarter-finals.

The two teams played out a draw after 120 minutes and Spain failed to convert any of their three penalties - goalkeeper Yaccine Bounou saving two - leaving PSG's Hakimi to win it with a nerveless 'Panenka' to spark jubilant scenes.

The north African side's fans had been making themselves heard all game but the atmosphere in the stands did not match the attritional battle on the pitch.

Spain hogged the ball and Morocco sat back plugging the gaps, with very few clear-cut chances being created.

Luis Enrique's side came closest to breaking the deadlock courtesy of Dani Olmo, who struck an arrowed drive from the angle which Bounou pushed away and the goalkeeper also did brilliantly well to keep out Olmo's dangerous free-kick late on.

Morocco were playing on the counter and should have scored in the opening period but Nayef Aguerd sent his unmarked header over, while their only shot on target came via Noussair Mazraoui's long-range drive which was gathered by Unai Simon.

With the sides not being able to be separated, the game went into extra time and substitute Walid Cheddira had Morocco's best chance, but scuffed his shot straight at Simon from eight yards out.

Spain notched over 1,000 passes in the contest and almost won it in the 123rd minute, but Pablo Sarabia's volley agonisingly flicked the outside of the far post.

Education City Stadium was filled mostly by Morocco fans, who went wild at the final whistle as their side reached the last eight for the first time, where they will face Portugal or Switzerland on Saturday (15:00 GMT).

Morocco fly the flag for Africa

It was a cauldron of noise inside the stadium from kick-off as Morocco fans vastly outnumbered their Spanish counterparts and it was the 'Maghreb' who were left celebrating at the final whistle.

Their supporters sang, chanted and banged their drums for the entire 120 minutes, with loud piercing whistles ringing around every time Spain were on the ball.

And Sevilla goalkeeper Bounou seemed to feed of that energy, saving efforts from Carlos Soler and Sergio Busquets, while Sarabia struck the post.

Star player Hakimi stepped up and was the coolest man under the most intense pressure, dinking his penalty straight down the middle as Morocco surged into the quarters.

Players ran around the pitch in a daze, manager Walid Regragui had his head in his hands in disbelief at what he had just witnessed, before they lay prostrate on the turf and then jumped up and down in front of supporters.

Morocco's only previous appearance in the last 16 came in 1986, but they have now extended their unbeaten run in the World Cup to five games and kept a clean sheet in six out of their last seven in all competitions.

For 2010 winners Spain, their campaign ends in misery after such an optimistic start when they hammered Costa Rica 7-0 in their opening game.

They tried to pass Morocco into submission but the opposition held firm, the favourites having just one shot on target from their 1,019 passes.

Enrique had said his side needed to do their homework on penalties, practising over 1,000 in training in the lead-up to the match, but they will need to go back to the drawing board after missing all of their spot-kicks.

BBC

Alhamdulillah ! they’ve done it, I am on avenue mohammad in Marrakech and I have never experienced anything quiet like this, the fans and brotherhood between all, is something to behold mashaAllah, I was running along the street congratulating everyone and sharing the Moroccan flag! they have remained so positive and in great spirit before, during and after the game! I don’t think this team and fans can lose no matter what!

[MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] I would love to know what the BBC had to say on commentary!!! :)))

2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar: Matchday & Tournament Thread

I really hope for some magic from Morocco because they´re the only team left now in the tournament from amongst the unusual or unexpected ones. Apart them, all the teams to have gone through are either from Europe or South America, teams from the continents which we´re used to seeing do well in football. We need something different.

And it happened! It really did! Still can't believe it!

The Moroccan fans kept the Spanish fans quiet, their team held off the Spanish team. The glum faces of the fans of one team, in contrast to a mood of celebration on the other end, reflected in their respective teams as well. Spain seemed to be lacking the confidence to do that one last part the moment it went down to a penalty shoout-out, Morocco pounced on the opportunity!

2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar: Matchday & Tournament Thread

In other news, Ronaldo not playing in the starting XI. This could be massive!

Born in Madrid he knocks Spain out!!

Achraf Hakimi wins the penalty shoot-out with a panenka to see Spain out of the competition

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/9qpvex" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

So if they lose god is not supporting them?and is supporting the secular nations? History shows this god has not been so kind to the Muslims when it comes to soccer. Why don’t you leave religion out of it and just enjoy the game. Morocco looks good.

In other news, Ronaldo not playing in the starting XI. This could be massive!

Good news for Switzerland then.

If Swiss beat Portugal, it is good for Morocco too. That means Morocco can go to semi by beating Swiss (easier than Portugal).

Good news for Switzerland then.

If Swiss beat Portugal, it is good for Morocco too. That means Morocco can go to semi by beating Swiss (easier than Portugal).

I believe itÂ’s a tactical move and also with penalties in mind. He may yet have a say later on. He isn’t who he use to be but we will see. Their manager is a shrewd guy.

Just saw a replay of that Hakimi penalty.

Nerves of steel.

Absolutely awesome.

Alhamdulillah ! theyÂ’ve done it, I am on avenue mohammad in Marrakech and I have never experienced anything quiet like this, the fans and brotherhood between all, is something to behold mashaAllah, I was running along the street congratulating everyone and sharing the Moroccan flag! they have remained so positive and in great spirit before, during and after the game! I donÂ’t think this team and fans can lose no matter what!

Amazing bro. I wish I was with you in Morocco now, the atmosphere has to be amazing. If you can stay for another week, it will be inshallah be an historic experience.

[MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION] I would love to know what the BBC had to say on commentary!!! :)))

BBC main line is the winning penalty scored is by a person born in Madrid, against Spain. :)))

Congratulations to Morocco! An ATG win.

I think they deserved it. Their defending was awesome and Spain struggled to create a clear chance across 120 minutes. And the penalty shootout was superb from Morocco. They have lit up this tournament.

If England doesn’t win the World Cup, I will be supporting Morocco all the way. They’ve got a great chance of at least the semi finals from here. And maybe even a bit more!

Portugal vs Morocco

Morocco to win hopefully and finish their Iberian campaign and reclaim their losses :))

Portugal is playing much better now! seems like it will be Portugal vs Morocco

Swiss need a bit of luck here, being outplayed.

Still in the game. Can Shaqiri find some magic in his left foot?

Nightmare for Switzerland.

4-0 to Portugal who are having a dream night and ripping their opponents to shreds.

Portugal v Morocco will be an absolute corker.

<3 great picture.

A lot of people dont realise, there are over 1 billion people rooting for Morocco, the most supported nation left in the world cup.

Football is one of Englands greatest inventions, right up there with the telephone imo. It connects people from all over the world and in this world cup it has united so many different cultures. Even England fans are loving their time in Qatar and will return as better humans. :)

Portugal playing some of the best football of this tournament.

Absolutely fantastic to watch.

3 goals in 7 mins!

Swiss are going all out but will be left wide open but the only for them now.

Switzerland get one back and are not giving this up, credit to them because it would be far easier to crumble here and go down by 6 or 7.

6-1

Performance of the World Cup so far I reckon.

Brilliant viewing Portugal.

Portugal basically taking the mickey out of Switzerland at this point. An exhibition.

That was a beating. Come on morocco. Come on Argentina

Last edited by a moderator:
<b>Samuel Eto'o apologises for kneeing Algeria fan in the face - but cites 'relentless provocation'</b>

Samuel Eto'o has apologised for kneeing an Algeria fan in the face, but launched a fresh attack on the nation's support by blaming "relentless provocation" over unfounded bribery claims.

In shocking scenes videoed in Doha on Monday night, the African football great and "legacy ambassador" for Qatar is seen erupting with rage and kicking out at Said Mamouni, a YouTube vlogger. Mamouni, who has made a complaint to police in Doha, confirmed on his own social media channels that he had asked Eto'o if he had bribed a referee.

"He hit me because I asked him about Gassama," Mamouni says, in a reference to Gambian referee Bakary Papa Gassama, who oversaw a controversial qualifier in which Cameroon qualified for the World Cup at the expense of Algeria.

The Algerian federation claimed the refereeing of the second leg by Gassama in March was "scandalous", but the Fifa referees' committee rejected that view.

Qatar's Supreme Committee has yet to clarify what police action Eto'o may now face, but the former Inter Milan and Chelsea striker later tweeted "my sincere apologies".

"I would like to apologise for losing my temper and reacting in a way that does not match my personality," Eto'o wrote. "I apologise to the public for this unfortunate incident. I pledge to continue to resist the relentless provocation and daily harassment of some Algerian supporters."

The confrontation took place as Eto'o left Brazil's 4-1 last-16 win against South Korea. Footage shows him reacting angrily to being persistently filmed. Mamouni posted his own video from a Doha police station saying Eto'o had hit him in the chest, chin and jaw.

Showing viewers his own smashed camera, Mamouni, who uses the name "Sadouni" online, said his questioning about a potential refereeing bribe prompted Eto'o's attack. Mamouni later adds: "He does not have the right to raise his hand against anyone.

"He hit me, and I have a video that he is forbidden to publish even after an investigation," the vlogger wrote. "We are making a video on it, and we hope to publish it so that we can reach my right."

Eto'o, who is the top footballing administrator in Cameroon, has claimed to "have been the target of insults and allegations of cheating without any evidence" since the match in March.

"During this World Cup, Cameroonian fans have been harassed and pestered by Algerians on the same subject," he added. Algeria's defeat "was cruel", he said, but "perfectly in line with the rules and ethics of our support".

"All the appeals made by the Algerian Football Federation to the competent jurisdictions have been rejected," Eto'o added. "I therefore call on the Algerian authorities and Federation to take their responsibilities to put an end to this unhealthy climate before a more serious tragedy occurs."

Eto'o has been a regular face at the World Cup thanks to his role with Qatar as well as with his home nation Cameroon's governing body.

A video of his clash with Mamouni was first published by American, Spanish-language outlet La Opinion. Footage appears to show Mamouni fall back after being hit in the face.

The all-time record Cameroon goalscorer had been taking pictures with fans as he left the stadium following Brazil's landslide last-16 victory. However, having appeared to take exception with Mamouni's comments, Eto'o attempted to confront him.

One of Eto'o's entourage then tried to confiscate the camera from the man, who slipped on to his knees after his equipment was thrown on to the ground. The video then shows Eto'o giving his mobile phone to a friend and charging towards the man, using his right knee to strike towards his face.

According to the report, Eto'o was asked what had happened by journalists but did not immediately explain what had caused the confrontation.

Eto'o won 118 caps for his country, the second-most of any player in Cameroon's history behind Rigobert Song, and scored a record 56 times for the national team. He appeared at four World Cups between 1998 and 2014, becoming only the third African player to play in four global tournaments after Song and fellow Cameroonian Jacques Songo'o.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertain...sedgntp&cvid=a367f521a10641568b5041d0e3ba8885

Portugal score 6 goals without Ronaldo. Is he going to complain to Piers Morgan? :)))

Man i told my friend that if they bench Ronaldo they will win lol tbf all the changes of Santos were great today!

<b>Portugal coach Fernando Santos dropped Cristiano Ronaldo to the bench for the last-16 meeting with Switzerland and was rewarded with a hat-trick from replacement Goncalo Ramos and a stunning team display in a 6-1 victory.</b>

Santos expressed his displeasure at gestures made by Ronaldo when he was substituted in the last group game against South Korea and it was the first time in 31 games stretching back to 2008 that he had not started in a major tournament.

Portugal made light of the 37-year-old's absence to put it mildly, as 21-year-old Benfica striker Ramos hit the first treble of this tournament on his first international start, to help set up a quarter-final against surprise package Morocco after their win against Spain on penalties.

Ramos started the rout after 17 minutes when he drilled a finish past Swiss keeper Jan Sommer at the near post before veteran 39-year-old defender Pepe doubled Portugal's lead when he headed home Bruno Fernandes' corner in the 33rd minute.

The dream full debut continued when Ramos effectively ended the contest with a near post swoop on Diogo Dalot's cross six minutes after the break, the striker turning provider to set up Raphael Guerriero to round off a sweeping move with a powerful strike four minutes later.

Manchester City defender Manuel Akanji pulled one back for Switzerland but Ramos swiftly got his third with a clever chip, which was the signal for the crowd at Lusail Stadium to noisily demand Ronaldo's introduction.

Portugal coach Ramos obliged with the game won, Ronaldo entering to rapturous applause, but his team-mates deserve all the acclaim for a high-class performance.

Ronaldo had the ball in the net but was ruled offside so it was another young pretender to his crown, 23-year-old Rafael Leao, who crowned a dazzling display when he curled in the sixth.

Cristiano Ronaldo's absence did not remove the spotlight and attention from the fading superstar but actually made it shine even more brightly in his direction at Lusail Stadium.

Ronaldo was swarmed by photographers in the dug-out after the national anthems then received a pop star's welcome when he came on as substitute after 73 minutes following prolonged and noisy demands for his introduction, particularly from the locals who had come to see him in the flesh.

The focus should not be Ronaldo though.

The credit must go to a Portugal team who looked more mobile, fluid and unified without the man who is currently searching for his next club having left Manchester United.

Portugal is a team full of talent even without Ronaldo and Ramos made an instant impact, not just with his goals but also his movement and team play.

And the sweet late strike from Rafael Leao was another demonstration of Portugal's bright future, one that hardly looked in jeopardy without Ronaldo as they swept Switzerland aside.

Portugal coach Santos is a stern-faced individual but a shrewd operator with a Euro 2016 triumph on his CV. He would be fully justified in allowing himself a smile after his brave, but ultimately correct decision, to leave out his team's towering presence.

This was such a complete performance from Portugal that there is surely no starting place for Ronaldo in the upcoming World Cup quarter-final against Morocco.

Switzerland made their way into the World Cup last 16 with a reputation as a stubborn, well-organised and hard to beat team under the direction of experienced coach Murat Yakin.

If so, this was a pale imitation of their true quality as they were picked apart by Portugal and barely threatened goalkeeper Diogo Costa, with Xherdan Shaqiri - their main hope of inspiration - rendered anonymous throughout.

Switzerland may regard reaching the knockout phase as par for the course at this tournament but there must still be huge disappointment at the meek and mediocre manner in which they have left Qatar, because previous evidence suggests they are a much better side than the one thrashed here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63789753

Back