Argentina defeat France 4-2 on penalties after a 3-3 draw to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup

Skorea and Nkorea both have made it to semis and qtr (respectively) but they can't crack open the WC either, biggest disappointment among Asian countries is IRAN, losing to USA is terrible as Iran actually does have a sporting culture.

China is also somewhat shocking coz they absolutely love the sport.

Skorea and Nkorea both have made it to semis and qtr (respectively) but they can't crack open the WC either, biggest disappointment among Asian countries is IRAN, losing to USA is terrible as Iran actually does have a sporting culture.

China is also somewhat shocking coz they absolutely love the sport.

There is a difference between being in semi-final and being semi-final material.

Croatia was in the final of 2018 World Cup. Does that mean they were better than teams like Belgium, Brazil etc.? No! They were in final because they had it easy during the knockout games (faced Denmark in Round of 16, Russia in quarterfinal, and England in semi-final).

Japan and Croatia are not quarterfinal teams. But, one of them had to go through because other teams messed up.

Last edited:
There is a difference between being in semi-final and being semi-final material.

Croatia was in the final of 2018 World Cup. Does that mean they were better than teams like Belgium, Brazil etc.? No! They were in final because they had it easy during the knockout games (faced Denmark in Round of 16, Russia in quarterfinal, and England in semi-final).

Japan and Croatia are not quarterfinal teams. But, one of them had to go through because other teams messed up.

I'm not saying they are, same with Turkey 2002 3rd . I already said in post above majority Europeans and Latin countries are way better at it.

I'm just ranting about Asian countries not being good enough which I kind of feel sad about because football wc will almost be happening for 100 years in 2030

Brazil has finally kicked in lol 3-0 and not even 30 minutes, depressing. :sarf_facepalm

2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar: Matchday & Tournament Thread

Poor South Korea getting schooled here. The third goal by Brazil was so beautifully constructed. Great team work, delightful to watch. One of the best passages of play in the whole tournament!

Game over here!

Wow.

If Football was ART, Brazil have just created a masterpiece in the first half.

Feel sorry for South Korea, this could end up an England test cricket score lol.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The new R9 😉<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FIFAWorldCup?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#FIFAWorldCup</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TSWorldCup?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TSWorldCup</a> <a href="https://t.co/fiz4weDSaZ">pic.twitter.com/fiz4weDSaZ</a></p>— talkSPORT (@talkSPORT) <a href="https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1599854130314371072?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 5, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"I think it's disrespectful dancing like that every time they score. I don't mind the first jig, or whatever it was, for the first goal, but not every time. It's disrespectful. Even their manager gets involved. I don't like it."

— Roy Keane on Brazil.

<b>Brazil delivered an ominous message to their World Cup rivals with a dazzling display of attacking brilliance to dismantle South Korea 4-1 and set up a quarter-final against Croatia.</b>

Neymar made a goalscoring return to action after injury at Stadium 974, but Brazil's superstar was only one element of a devastating performance that ripped South Korea to shreds and settled this last-16 game well before half-time.

Vinicius Junior set the tone with a composed penalty-area finish from Raphinha's cross after seven minutes, and Neymar doubled Brazil's advantage from the spot six minutes later after Richarlison had been fouled.

It was Neymar's 76th goal for Brazil, leaving him just one behind the legendary Pele's all-time record.

Richarlison then produced the highlight and another entry into his personal showreel of great goals at this World Cup when he followed up his spectacular volley against Serbia with a real work of art, controlling the ball three times with his head and foot before moving into position take Thiago Silva's pass in his stride and score.

Brazil went four up with another gem after 36 minutes, Vinicius picking out Lucas Paqueta for West Ham's expensive acquisition to score with a well-placed volley.

South Korea, to their great credit, continued to compete and forced several fine saves from Brazil keeper Alisson, before substitute Paik Seung-ho pulled one back with a glorious 30-yard strike to add to the night's collection of special goals.

"I think it's disrespectful dancing like that every time they score. I don't mind the first jig, or whatever it was, for the first goal, but not every time. It's disrespectful. Even their manager gets involved. I don't like it."

— Roy Keane on Brazil.

This bloke is a grade A idiot.

Its entertainment, its Brazil , its Samba.

Keane has been miserable since day 1 of this world cup. Saying the World Cup shouldnt be in Qatar but he's sat there. Deport him back to Dublin so he can drink himself to oblivion on Guniuss.

Brazil ARE the world Cup.

— Roy Keane on Brazil.

Who does Roy Keane think he is?

Brazil can celebrate in any way they see fit.

Brazil are 5-time world champions.

Indeed.

Hoping for a swift recovery of Pele. I hope Brazil will win it if Argentina get eliminated. I am rooting for both Brazil and Argentina.

Hoping he doesnt pass and sees Brazil lift the World Cup for one last time.

Semis imo

Brazil v Argentina
France v Morocco :)

— Roy Keane on Brazil.

I think Roy Keane and Graeme Sounness feel they have to out-do the English commentators at times.

I like Roy but he has been very poor this tournament and Graeme also now sounds a bit deranged.

In fact the pundits have almost ruined the world cup with their bitter, sarcastic and out of touch commentary.

Argentina vs Brazil
France vs Spain

This seems like the safest prediction, but I think we will see at least one if not two more upsets in this World Cup considering how the tournament has played out so far.

I think Morocco & Switzerland can do something special against Spain & Portugal. Would be interesting games for sure.

Brazil & Argentina should win their respective QFs. France should be too strong for England but it would be harsh to consider an England win as an upset.

There is probably a 90% chance of a Brazil/Argentina vs France final.

Argentina vs Brazil
France vs Spain

This seems like the safest prediction, but I think we will see at least one if not two more upsets in this World Cup considering how the tournament has played out so far.

I think Morocco & Switzerland can do something special against Spain & Portugal. Would be interesting games for sure.

Brazil & Argentina should win their respective QFs. France should be too strong for England but it would be harsh to consider an England win as an upset.

There is probably a 90% chance of a Brazil/Argentina vs France final.

Upsets in the KO stages generally I’d gather are unlikely unless it goes to penalties

Upsets in the KO stages generally I’d gather are unlikely unless it goes to penalties

This World Cup is quite strange & probably the best chance in a long time for a “small” nation to go all the way. Almost every big team has a chink in their armor.

England were amazing against Senegal but I was hugely disappointed with the latter’s performance. They are a much stronger team than what they showed even without their talisman Mane.

Dream scenario would be a classic Brazil/Argentina Semi

England losing to France by 3 goals or more in the semis or losing to Morocco in a thriller

Has an African/Muslim nation ever reached the semis &/or final? that would be huge

I feel Morocco can beat Spain, not just emotions but they have what it takes.

Brazil v Argentina has to be made, it would be a huge game esp with Messi at his final world cup.

Yes, Turkey reached the Semis but lost to Brazil, 2002 I think.

Dream scenario would be a classic Brazil/Argentina Semi

England losing to France by 3 goals or more in the semis or losing to Morocco in a thriller

Has an African/Muslim nation ever reached the semis &/or final? that would be huge

Nope.

Ghana had a chance in 2010 World Cup but they messed up the penalty (Suarez handball incident).

Turkey 2002, 3rd position.

I feel Morocco can beat Spain, not just emotions but they have what it takes.

Brazil v Argentina has to be made, it would be a huge game esp with Messi at his final world cup.

Yes, Turkey reached the Semis but lost to Brazil, 2002 I think.

Would love to see Morocco in semi-final or even final. However, Spain are likely to beat them.

Let's see. I am rooting for Morocco.

I don’t think we will get an Argentina vs Brazil semis.. Netherlands might surprise Argentina

Oh. Yeah! I forgot this.

Turkey was in semi-final of 2002 World Cup. Only Muslim state to be in semi-final ever.

It is sad that Turkey hasn't been in a World Cup since then.

They were good from 2000-2008, they made it semis of Euros too 2008, downhill from there somewhat , I don’t even know any of their players anymore.

They were good from 2000-2008, they made it semis of Euros too 2008, downhill from there somewhat , I don’t even know any of their players anymore.

Yeah. Went to semi-final of 2008 Euro also.

They faded away after that.

2008, them comebacks and so close against Germany. Big bottlers Turkey shocking they've not qualified in twenty years.

Brazil were quite special tonight. They thrive in a carnival atmosphere and riding on wave of emotion. We haven't had a proper fixture bar Croatia v Japan in knockouts yet

Not the biggest soccer fan but I will be going for Argentina. I adored Maradona growing up. Also a softer spot for morocco. They look real good.

Spain coach Luis Enrique hopes his players' "homework" of practising 1,000 penalties will pay off against Morocco in the World Cup last 16.

Magical that team goal was, with the tourney getting serious its the experience that will matter

Morocco have a very big chance today. They'll keep it extremely compact and a moment of quality goes their way

I really hope for some magic from Morocco because they´re the only team left now in the tournament from amongst the unusual or unexpected ones. Apart them, all the teams to have gone through are either from Europe or South America, teams from the continents which we´re used to seeing do well in football. We need something different.

Stadium 974 will now be dismantled and will no longer be used at the World Cup

FjPmyX8WYAoHz3c

Anyone else sick and tired of the negativity coverage by the British? BBC radio 5 Live had a whole show dedicated to whinging about the Brazilian celebrations. There were even calls to ban it.

I wouldn’t normally say this but after all the virtue signalling and negative coverage.. I hope Eng get slapped up!

Anyone else sick and tired of the negativity coverage by the British? BBC radio 5 Live had a whole show dedicated to whinging about the Brazilian celebrations. There were even calls to ban it.

I wouldn’t normally say this but after all the virtue signalling and negative coverage.. I hope Eng get slapped up!

Yes. Its very tiresome and I think its the worst that its ever been.

It seems like all the pundits have teamed up to try and suck the life out of the tournament.

Yup. Same here.

They seem like massive attention-seekers. Complaining every now and then about trivial issues.

They have a problem with Brazilian dance too now. LOL.

Just very big losers.

Roy Keane's just playing up to his caricature but coming across xenophobic. Oddball.

Morocco need to capitalise here, Spain can't contain them

Morocco came to play. Been impressed with them through the tournament. Have a soft spot for them. But fav team is Argentina ( grew ups on it), second favorite Spain ( gf if from Spain ). So goooooooooooo Spain. Will be fine if Morocco wins also. As long as England loses I am happy

Yes. Its very tiresome and I think its the worst that its ever been.

It seems like all the pundits have teamed up to try and suck the life out of the tournament.

Yup. Same here.

They seem like massive attention-seekers. Complaining every now and then about trivial issues.

They have a problem with Brazilian dance too now. LOL.

Just very big losers.
Don't even get me started on the German media about this! There seems to be a united effort at wanting to downgrade the tournament. A five minute break during the matches, and they begin to moan about the issue of human rights violation, in their "Special reports", in Qatar and other Islamic countries, such Iran and Saudi Arabia! Can't they spare this stuff for others occasions, please?!

Here in the USA we have US coverage. None of that. Unless I am missing something. Any US people can shed more light.

Don't even get me started on the German media about this! There seems to be a united effort at wanting to downgrade the tournament. A five minute break during the matches, and they begin to moan about the issue of human rights violation, in their "Special reports", in Qatar and other Islamic countries, such Iran and Saudi Arabia! Can't they spare this stuff for others occasions, please?!

Germans. Don't mention the VAR.

All Spain now and hard to see there not being a breakthrough. Morocco need to regain composure

I remember another poster here saying that Palestinians cannot protest against the occupation of their lands in Germany.

Wonder if that is true.

Here in the USA we have US coverage. None of that. Unless I am missing something. Any US people can shed more light.

US is the one that enables these GCC why would they complain.

Plus US is equally divided among conservatives and Liberals , Europe is leftist and Rightwing too but both have common ground to hate Qatar.

US is the one that enables these GCC why would they complain.

Plus US is equally divided among conservatives and Liberals , Europe is leftist and Rightwing too but both have common ground to hate Qatar.

There is little to no noise in Canada too. Good to see.

Canadians also didn't want to wear those stupid armbands.

It seems like only a few European countries wanted to do it.

Last edited:
Still 0-0.

I think we may see a penalty shootout.

Spain got eliminated in a penalty shootout last World Cup (against Russia in Round of 16).

What. A. Chance!. Morocco need to be more clinical

There is little to no noise in Canada too. Good to see.

Canadians also didn't want to wear those stupid armbands.

It seems like only a few European countries wanted to do it.

Geopolitics. There's a Ukraine flag in that armband

We are in the extra minutes. 15 minutes away from a penalty shootout.

Spain 0 - Morocco 0.

Back