Asad Shafiq - The man of crisis

That pull was amazing...

Shafiq is silencing many. Even I criticize his inconsistency.

But when he's on song he does play good shots!

Argument like "these runs mean nothing" etc are absurd.

I think average of around 39-40 is good enough, not every batsman in your team can average 50+, unless you think Haris and Fawad along with Misbah and Younis would have made this a world class formidable middle order.

C
The thing about people who get excited about one innings is it is a knee jerk. When he consistently fails it becomes the narrative "just wait until he comes good", then one good innings and it is "see I was right!!!!"

How about you wait until he does it for 5 matches, not one innings..

And I don't mean 100 every innings, just play the ball on merit and get easy 50s and build to centuries where you can.

Hater it is, then
. If I follow what he has done since the first innings against Australia, including playing out a tense draw, I see no reasons to complain.
But wait, you are probably upset about the past before that.

"Criticizing a player from the team you cheer for, you must be a hater!"

I have seen enough of Shafiq to know he is inconsistent and has done nothing to disprove that. People don't care for one innings from anyone else, they need to see it in 5-10 consistent innings, but Shafiq does it once and all of a sudden the knives are out as though you were right. One innings need not define a career. An adage I continuously refer to when people get excited about these kinds of performances.

Same thing with Azhar and his SL century.

You're just as inconsistent as Shafiq. Yes, everyone and their dog knows that he's inconsistent, you're being labelled a hater because you call him a mediocre player, can't seem to realize that he's terrific under pressure and generally, there is not a word of praise from your you despite Shafiq playing a superb knock.

I WAS right. This thread is primarily about Shafiq's pressure handling ability and he continues to prove it. You have been proven wrong but I don't see why you are trying so hard to brush that under the carpet since Shafiq plays for the team that you also cheer for.

For those that would say that he only bullied the spinners- Watch Shafiq bat right now.

Both Azhar and Shafiq will probably end their careers with averages of around 45 and perhaps 15+ hundreds. Can't call it a waste.

Azhar has looked good recently Shafiq seems to have expanded his range of shots. Didn't look bad in the Australian ODIs and seems to be working on his Strike Rate (not just in this innings). He will get the ODIs vs NZ I think.

He hasn't batted enough over the last 5 Tests tbh too, got an 88 and now a 100 along with a couple of starts.

I think average of around 39-40 is good enough, not every batsman in your team can average 50+, unless you think Haris and Fawad along with Misbah and Younis would have made this a world class formidable middle order.

Why do you always underrate Haris Sohail? I know he isn't one of the fittest guys around but he is a consistent performer in tests and has done well in the both warm up matches. .will you ever speak for the unfair treatment poor bloke has been getting from Misbah who might be afraid of him becoming his replacement but Misbah can try his best this will be his final test mqtch iA. We don't need a batsman who can't perform anymore when the going gets tough.

I have sympathised with recently because he has missed out on easy tons and his partnership with Sarfraz in the first test was crucial. doesn't excuse his inconsistency but it's nice to see him come good in this innings. He just needs to prove he is more than a ton followed by nothing for a few innings player

Why do you always underrate Haris Sohail? I know he isn't one of the fittest guys around but he is a consistent performer in tests and has done well in the both warm up matches. .will you ever speak for the unfair treatment poor bloke has been getting from Misbah who might be afraid of him becoming his replacement but Misbah can try his best this will be his final test mqtch iA. We don't need a batsman who can't perform anymore when the going gets tough.

I don't underrate Haris. I think he's a very good batsman who will get his chance but I don't believe Shafiq/Azhar deserve to dropped from the team.

Maqsood, Fawad and Akmal should be next in line for a test chance/recall. Sohail doesn't seem like anything more than a "30 averaging" player.

Great knock today Its high time he kicked on and scored more consistently tho

Shafiq is someone who frustrates Just when u think hes underperforming and not kicking on he scores a high class ton but then again goes missing for a while

Although inconsistent you can clearly see he has it in him to turn himself into a top class bat Whether he does or not is remains to be seen

I have an idea we should discount all bowling and batsmens records if ther team loses. What do you think?

Just talking the truth.
I remember his ugly shot vs tahir in 1st innings and also here when pressure was on he couldnt deliver.

this knock doesnt mean much as we lost the test and didnt win the series.

a player should deliver when it matters.
thats why i rate sir fraz 2 100s much higher vs all those runs scored by the other batsmen.

His knocks over the last 5 Tests:

89 vs Australia
DNB
21 vs Australia when we were looking for some quick runs and declare.
DNB
DNB
41* (helped play out the draw)

His only genuine failure came in the first innings of this Test where everyone barring Hafeez failed.

Could he have done better? Perhaps

Was he poor by any means? Not at all and fairly consistent in my view.

C

Hater it is, then
. If I follow what he has done since the first innings against Australia, including playing out a tense draw, I see no reasons to complain.
But wait, you are probably upset about the past before that.

You have an inordinate soft spot for Shafiq and you shift goal posts and use a narrative only for Shafiq and will jump on others for doing the exact same thing you are defending him for.

Needs a career turning series imo where for example he scores 400 runs n 2-3 tons

Thats might be the impetus he needs to kick on to the next level

Maqsood, Fawad and Akmal should be next in line for a test chance/recall. Sohail doesn't seem like anything more than a "30 averaging" player.

Miles better than Misbah who takes 200 balls to score his fifty when the pitch is flat and no pressure and goes missing underpressure.

89 vs Australia
DNB
DNB
DNB

His only genuine failure came in the first innings of this Test where everyone barring Hafeez failed.

Exactly and thats why i feel he needs to bat up the order. May be 4 or 5

Just talking the truth.
I remember his ugly shot vs tahir in 1st innings and also here when pressure was on he couldnt deliver.

thats why i rate sir fraz 2 100s much higher vs all those runs scored by the other batsmen.

It definitely mattered today and he was under a lot of pressure. Had Misbah and Sarfaraz given him company, this test could have been drawn. Nonsensical arguments.

There was less pressure in the first innings since the players couldn't have seen that McCullum assault coming and we already had a good score on the board when he came on to bat.

89 vs Australia
DNB
DNB
DNB

You need to put him side by side with every Pakistan bat and he will fall below every other player.

It was just an easy wicket to bat on all the way through and he mustered out a few decent innings and a couple of good ones meanwhile others were thrashing away.

Oh well. Time will tell the story that I know he will write. He will go down as talent who could never find consistency, similar to Umar.

He gives you a glimmer and then nothing for 5 innings. He did this once against SA.

You also said that these were flat pitches and we shouldn't get excited about anyones batting, but all of a sudden Shafiq does it and everyone is giving him all this kudos.

To each their own I guess.

Well done Shafiq today, no one came to play with you unfortunately and it might have been a match saving knock.

Still not convinced by you but this argument is going no where. I just agree to disagree.

Miles better than Misbah who takes 200 balls to score his fifty when the pitch is flat and no pressure and goes missing underpressure.

Sohail is not fit to lick the kuptaan's boots. Nor can he ever dream of scoring a 56 ball hundred against the Aussies in his deepest sleep.

He had two low scores only and didn't get to bat in 4 innings where our batsmen scored hundreds for fun. If anything, Shafiq can deem himself unlucky to miss out on some real averaging boosting scores.

You need to put him side by side with every Pakistan bat and he will fall below every other player.

It was just an easy wicket to bat on all the way through and he mustered out a few decent innings and a couple of good ones meanwhile others were thrashing away.

Oh well. Time will tell the story that I know he will write. He will go down as talent who could never find consistency, similar to Umar.

He gives you a glimmer and then nothing for 5 innings. He did this once against SA.

You also said that these were flat pitches and we shouldn't get excited about anyones batting, but all of a sudden Shafiq does it and everyone is giving him all this kudos.

To each their own I guess.

Well done Shafiq today, no one came to play with you unfortunately and it might have been a match saving knock.

Still not convinced by you but this argument is going no where. I just agree to disagree.

Fair enough, but I think in context, he didn't get to bat at all in 3 innings where everyone piled up the runs and was made to bat right before the declaration along with Sarfraz once.

In fact both him and Sarfraz missed out on plenty of runs over the last 5 matches, with him cashing today and Sarfraz in the last test but yes I agree he needs to be more consistent and I think he will be.

^ As far as the flat pitch theory is concerned, yes it stands 100% but Shafiq is getting stick here in spite of not getting many chances to bat. I find that a little harsh.

Steelo is losing it. This isn't the first time he has performed admirably under pressure, he has done that several times. I also think that a couple of 40's in his last couple of innings is a pretty decent run.

Forgot to add, he is going to be 29 by Jan next year and we are still waiting for him to be consistent.

It definitely mattered today and he was under a lot of pressure. Had Misbah and Sarfaraz given him company, this test could have been drawn. Nonsensical arguments.

There was less pressure in the first innings since the players couldn't have seen that McCullum assault coming and we already had a good score on the board when he came on to bat.

Nopes after the no show today by the top order the game was over.
The field settings helped him as well.

He scored 5 100s how many of those games did we win?

steelo green's point is fair that Shafiq so far in his career has lacked consistency. I don't understand why he is getting patronized for it but yes the criticism here overall is a little harsh because Shafiq has had very few opportunities to bat and pile up the runs compared to other batsmen.

steelo green's point is fair that Shafiq so far in his career has lacked consistency. I don't understand why he is getting patronized for it but yes the criticism here overall is a little harsh because Shafiq has had very few opportunities to bat and pile up the runs compared to other batsmen.

Is anyone here saying that Shafiq is consistent? He is getting flak for calling Shafiq a mediocre player.

How many match-winning innings have been played by players down at #6? Also keep in mind that he's not a Gilly type player who can score a whirlwind century.

Had Misbah and Sarfaraz stuck with him today, this game could have been drawn.

My two cents:

Had he failed today, everyone would have said he failed when pressure was on.

Now when no one supported him, he made 100, it was a useless effort to boost his average.

Shafiq wouldnt have won anyway today, for his detractors, so Im just glad he went to score some runs for his own confidence.

I dont think Shafiq is a great player. HE suffers from inconsistency but which Pakistani player is consistent?

All of them have weaknesses and Shafi is no differnt. This is not about Akmal or Haris as potential replacements.

The point is, is there anyone who is perfect batsmen in Pakistan team?

The answer is no.

Shafiq played a pretty good innings but it was useless not because there was no pressure but because 50 averaging batsmen like Misbah didnt support him to make it worthwhile.

Only in Pakistan, you can blame a top 100 as useless because others failed.

Only in Pak.

What a terrific knock.

Shafiq needs to take off from here on. He needs a purple patch to really stem his place in international cricket. I have been supporting hm for quite a while now but he needs to put together a string of good performances, everytime he seems like doing this he produces a few of bad performances. He missed out on some tons this series to be fair. Also the fact that we have a break of 5-6 months every year doesn't help his cause.

BTW Hate or like you have to admit that when this guy scores he is an absolute joy to watch!

He deserved that century, good to see he was capable of batting with some aggression too, nearly a 100% strike rate. He's not a fantastic player by any means but he's a good solid middle order batsman. He should perhaps be coming up the order a bit, I think he should swap places with Misbah.

This is the plight of a #6 in test cricket. If the top five fire, you don't get to bat and if they fail, then you really can't win the game coming in so late.

And was it his fault that we lost or drew the matches?

against Bangladesh it was a flat pitch and the match was drawn.

At Palekelle he saved us from defeat and was MoM. Now was it his fault that no one else turned up in that match?

The ton in capetown. It's his fault that our bowlers were incompetent.

130 against SA again. No one else turned up. Misbah threw his wicket away otherwise Pakistan could have saved an innings defeat.

And now today. One guy turned up and scored 51% of the team score but we are not giving him credit because it didn't make a difference.

You have an inordinate soft spot for Shafiq and you shift goal posts and use a narrative only for Shafiq and will jump on others for doing the exact same thing you are defending him for.

I have a soft spot for any batsman that has a technique that can be called 'test worthy batting' and doesn't carry the tag of being a softy when we play the big boys. And I have been very consistent that and that's why I would never put guys like Hafeez or Fawad in a playing eleven.

He deserved that century, good to see he was capable of batting with some aggression too, nearly a 100% strike rate. He's not a fantastic player by any means but he's a good solid middle order batsman. He should perhaps be coming up the order a bit, I think he should swap places with Misbah.

Post misbahs retirement I suspect

But it's not a point of merit. To me there is shafiq pre Austria tour and post Australia tour. Folks that think he is inconsistent worship numbers, so for the he is bad until he hits a magical number. The fact that he might go from 37 to 38 to 40 and onwards has no meaning. They will be satisfied when he hits a magical number of 45 or whatever.
If anyone calls his batting record of the last 5 tests as mediocre or inconsistent or befitting his 37 average, then you don't know cricket I am afraid.

Just talking the truth.

But what does have to do with all the batsmen who could have scored the runs today since 'there is no pressure'

A very talented middle order batsman, just look at his hundred today under the circumstances he played a fabulous knock with lots of aggression and a wonderful SR, Just goes to show you how technically correct batsmen can make a difference, At least he got pakistan above 200 and to some extent avoided the embarrassment at the hands of the kiwis, I still don't get why the clueless coach and captain would want to waste a talent like him at number 6 and not promote him up the order? Its time to promote him up the order at number 3 in both ODIs and Tests, No.6 is no place for him!

Well played shafiq , hope there are many more to come.

Next time we play test cricket , misbah will probably not be part of the team. Asad Shafiq should be promoted to number 4.

Another thing you must notice is tat if he plays with freedom he becomes a better batsman. He must be allowed this freedom at number 3 or 4. Number 6 is way too down for him.

Another thing you must notice is tat if he plays with freedom he becomes a better batsman. He must be allowed this freedom at number 3 or 4. Number 6 is way too down for him.

He is mentally weak even though he has all the shots in the world and looks good. Has rarely done well under pressure situations.

Shafiq played an entertaining innings but he clearly had given up on saving the match.

There was no need to play that shot he did to get out, right after he had hit a four.

If Akmal had done that, the same people praising Shafiq would have been after his head.

just your regulation Shafiq knock- scoring flashy 100s when the pressures off and there's nothing to lose.

Shafiq played an entertaining innings but he clearly had given up on saving the match.

There was no need to play that shot he did to get out, right after he had hit a four.

If Akmal had done that, the same people praising Shafiq would have been after his head.

Even the most clutch batsman in history cannot save a Test with number 10/11 with a 100 run deficit and the whole day 5 still left to play. The only way out was to score some quick runs and cut down the deficit to make the loss a little less humiliating and he did a good job.

Umar plays like this regardless of the match situation which is his shortcoming.

I genuinely think he is turning a corner in his career because he is not playing for his 'place in the team' at least in tests.....he was given a good run and it is showing. when he got going today he looked technically perfect....i was never his biggest supporter but damn he did a good job today

He does look like the most complete batsman in Pakistan when he is in the zone.

He does look like the most complete batsman in Pakistan when he is in the zone.

Agreed, now if he can cut out the akmalesque brain-farts that he has every now and then, he can take his game to the next level.

Averaging 40 in test cricket without a single home game.

4 out of 5 hundreds in losing games. The only 1 hundred in winning game vs Bangladesh.

Still needs to be applauded. Now he must kick on.

Averaging 40 in test cricket without a single home game.

4 out of 5 hundreds in losing games. The only 1 hundred in winning game vs Bangladesh.

Still needs to be applauded. Now he must kick on.

Playing in Pakistan is no different to playing in the UAE from a statistical point of view. Your delusions are well documented, but get that in your head once and for all.

lol hahahahahaha

So you were actually hoping to have this matches saved after NZ's total?

I think there was more hope to have this match saved by earthquake, rain, flood, tsunami, Hurricane, Typhone, windstorm, dust storm, Sand storm, thunder storm, lightning, 10 feet of snow fall, hail etc than Pakistan BATTING strength being able to save it.

Enjoy the 100 and move on.
This match was NEVER ours after what NZ did to our bowling.

Asad is a great prospect. I think, among the new generation he has the best technique & ability as well. I 'll play Asad at 3 in Test, because he has the shots as well, you need someone at 3 who can dominate as well.

Azhar's defensive Technique is good, but he is single dimensional, while Shaan has a good temperament, but he is too limited (may be he might perform better in seaming condition, but just not look good enough for International).

Playing in Pakistan is no different to playing in the UAE from a statistical point of view. Your delusions are well documented, but get that in your head once and for all.

Nothing comes close to playing in front of your family and friends on the same grounds that you have played all your life. It is a big disadvantage for these players to be deprived of home matches.

Nothing comes close to playing in front of your family and friends on the same grounds that you have played all your life. It is a big disadvantage for these players to be deprived of home matches.

To be fair, many people perform better in empty stadiums because it is similar to domestic.

I suspect a lot of people fail in international because they can't handle the cameras and the pressure of big crowds that produce lot of noise. Maybe that's why Shafiq fails even more horribly in tournaments and when it matters.

It's a sentimental disadvantage to everyone associated with Pakistan cricket, we all want to see matches at Lahore, Karachi, Pindi, Multan, Peshawar etc. but playing on these grounds are not going to add +5 to our batting and -5 to our bowling averages, anymore than UAE will.

I am personally sick of playing our 'home' games in UAE. Just doesn't have the same vibe but that's a different aspect.

To be fair, many people perform better in empty stadiums because it is similar to domestic.

I suspect a lot of people fail in international because they can't handle the cameras and the pressure of big crowds that produce lot of noise. Maybe that's why Shafiq fails even more horribly in tournaments and when it matters.

Constant travelling can prove to be mentally taxing.

They are coping extremely well, but naturally it can get to them at times if you put themselves in their shoes.

It's a sentimental disadvantage to everyone associated with Pakistan cricket, we all want to see matches at Lahore, Karachi, Pindi, Multan, Peshawar etc. but playing on these grounds are not going to add +5 to our batting and -5 to our bowling averages, anymore than UAE will.

I am personally sick of playing our 'home' games in UAE. Just doesn't have the same vibe but that's a different aspect.

It could help but we'll never know. Likes of Younis, Yousuf and Inzi had great records at home and there is no reason why Azhar and Shafiq wouldn't have good records on their home turf either.

Younis has a great record in UAE too and MoYo and Inzamam hardly played Tests here.

The stadiums would be empty but it just feels great to play on the same pitch that you'e been playing FC cricket all your life.

A case can be made for mental frailties with Shafiq, yet again he finally came good when it didn't matter for the team. He fails in 5-6 innings and when the axe is close to his neck he finally delivers big. The selectors need to dig deep and still hold players accountable. This is not fair on those sitting on the bench for so long waiting for an opportunity.

Agreed. Should not have said this. But scoring centuries in a losing cause is not a good feeling.

So you would have felt better if he got for a duck and we lost by an innings and 200 runs?

But it's not a point of merit. To me there is shafiq pre Austria tour and post Australia tour. Folks that think he is inconsistent worship numbers, so for the he is bad until he hits a magical number. The fact that he might go from 37 to 38 to 40 and onwards has no meaning. They will be satisfied when he hits a magical number of 45 or whatever.
If anyone calls his batting record of the last 5 tests as mediocre or inconsistent or befitting his 37 average, then you don't know cricket I am afraid.

Well clearly you have an issue reading the points brought out by Steelo. Which really just makes everyone mad because rather than looking at the point and understanding it you like to twist everything steelo was saying.

This is what he was saying just for your information. First off, he's batted well for the last 5 tests but so has basically every single Pakistani batsmen on the team other than Taufeeq Umar and Shan Mansood. So the point is that if Mohammad Hafeez can score infinite amount of runs on these wickets maybe the wicket is an easy run scoring wicket which it definitely was.

Steelo was saying he's been inconsistent for his entire career which he has been. You think take stats lightly, I don't understand that. How can you call yourself a cricket fan if you don't take stats into consideration. Is it just a coincidence that all of the great batsman just casually have great statistics? Stats tell a lot of the story especially in a sport like cricket. It basically tells you almost everything you need to know. And by the way you were talking smack about Fawad in test but tell me why Fawad has a higher average in tests, FC and has a higher overall score than Shafiq has in tests? Unorthodox or not Fawad should be selected for the test squad over Shafiq any day of the year.

Well clearly you have an issue reading the points brought out by Steelo. Which really just makes everyone mad because rather than looking at the point and understanding it you like to twist everything steelo was saying.

This is what he was saying just for your information. First off, he's batted well for the last 5 tests but so has basically every single Pakistani batsmen on the team other than Taufeeq Umar and Shan Mansood. So the point is that if Mohammad Hafeez can score infinite amount of runs on these wickets maybe the wicket is an easy run scoring wicket which it definitely was.

Steelo was saying he's been inconsistent for his entire career which he has been. You think take stats lightly, I don't understand that. How can you call yourself a cricket fan if you don't take stats into consideration. Is it just a coincidence that all of the great batsman just casually have great statistics? Stats tell a lot of the story especially in a sport like cricket. It basically tells you almost everything you need to know. And by the way you were talking smack about Fawad in test but tell me why Fawad has a higher average in tests, FC and has a higher overall score than Shafiq has in tests? Unorthodox or not Fawad should be selected for the test squad over Shafiq any day of the year.
The thing with my friend Steelo is that we started a discussion nearly two months ago, and like you he kept on insisting no no no shafiq will not score runs look at his past yada yada and Fawad alam is the real deal. I wagered quite the opposite for both players. As things have panned out exactly as I thought he gets upset
Sounds like a case of not being able to get over the past. Current form matters more than anything else. So I repeat, you can focus on the past or like the the rest of us you can wait as that average moves from 40 to 41 to 42 and onwards.
You might not like it, but selectors are not gate keepers just waiting to let through people basis their stats. Why do we need selectors otherwise.
And here's the thing, I watched them both bat, I would not trust Fawad alam to last out against any decent bowling attack that fields well.
Here's what I know, rightfully he won't be part of the World Cup squad. As Pakistan founder in the World Cup, he will be brought back 'justice will be done' and he fill flog some runs against Sri lanka and everyone will celebrate until we play decent opposition and fail again.

The thing with my friend Steelo is that we started a discussion nearly two months ago, and like you he kept on insisting no no no shafiq will not score runs look at his past yada yada and Fawad alam is the real deal. I wagered quite the opposite for both players. As things have panned out exactly as I thought he gets upset
Sounds like a case of not being able to get over the past. Current form matters more than anything else. So I repeat, you can focus on the past or like the the rest of us you can wait as that average moves from 40 to 41 to 42 and onwards.
You might not like it, but selectors are not gate keepers just waiting to let through people basis their stats. Why do we need selectors otherwise.
And here's the thing, I watched them both bat, I would not trust Fawad alam to last out against any decent bowling attack that fields well.
Here's what I know, rightfully he won't be part of the World Cup squad. As Pakistan founder in the World Cup, he will be brought back 'justice will be done' and he fill flog some runs against Sri lanka and everyone will celebrate until we play decent opposition and fail again.

See you come off as being stupid when you say stuff like I wouldn't trust Fawad against any decent bowling lineup that fields well. And then you say something along the lines that Sri Lanka isn't a decent team. Add to the fact that you're man love for Asad Shafiq blinds you from not seeing the guy doesn't perform well against anyone, actually as a ODI batsman, he's as good as Kamran Akmal. So I just don't understand your points because you dismiss Sri Lanka like they're not an international squad, therefore hurting Fawad's game but still Shafiq has been absolute trash against everyone, yet he's golden?

And what things have panned out exactly as you planned? Shafiq doing well in test matches where everyone on the team is scoring centuries? Scoring an irrelevant 50 with a terrible S/R against Australia? Shafiq is a trash One Day player, he's the embodiment of why Pakistan cricket will never reach its potential as a successful cricketing nation because once they begin to love a player. Playing crap doesn't matter because its fun to watch guys who are detriments to your team? I just don't get your logic.

BTW just for your information. Shafiq has played 8 more matches against SA, Australia and England, under your definition of a decent opposition that can field well (while saying Sri Lanka isn't under that definition) but Fawad has a 32 average, Shafiq has a 23 average. Fawad has a higher S/R as well. So you say Fawad can perform against decent oppositions but what do you have to say about the clear fact that Fawad has performed much better against these oppositions. Shafiq performances against these squads is almost as poor as Afridi...what do you have to say about that? You love this dude, but he just sucks...against everyone...

Back