PPCL Hall of Famer
Runs
Australia push to keep up momentum

January 28, 2010

Match Facts

Friday, January 29, WACA
Start time 12:30 (04:30 GMT)

The Big Picture

Australia's victory in Adelaide decided the series and consigned the two matches in Perth to dead-rubber status. But like most dead rubbers, there remain several individual storylines to keep the fans interested. Can Australia make it a 5-0 whitewash? Is there anything Mohammad Yousuf can do to save his captaincy? Can Ricky Ponting find form after yet another missed pull brought him a duck in Adelaide? Will Ryan Harris make himself a permanent ODI player or was his five-for a one-off? And will the Perth fans turn up to two games in three days, neither of which has any bearing on the series result?

Pakistan could be forgiven for feeling browbeaten after losing all three Tests and all three one-dayers so far. But this could be their best chance of getting a win on the board on this trip. Australia have taken the opportunity to rest Shane Watson, who over the past six months has been so important to Australia that he has been not only their leading ODI run scorer but also their top wicket taker. Doug Bollinger is also taking a break but Mitchell Johnson returns to the squad having sat out of the first three games. Australia will be keen to keep up their winning form with five ODIs against West Indies just around the corner.

Ponting will be hoping for a big personal effort after his misjudged-pull-lbw on Tuesday. He has come under fire for getting his cross-bat strokes wrong this summer but he said he was not worried about the trend. "Not at all. I'm not worried about getting a short ball from Rana, that's for sure," Ponting said. "The first couple that I faced I actually felt the ball bounced quite normally. The one I got out on I felt it didn't bounce ... as much. "I felt it was pretty much the same length as the last two. The last couple of games I've felt I haven't scored quickly enough. I wanted to be a bit more positive and put it back on the bowlers a little bit more and as it turned out I made a zero."

Form guide (most recent first)

Australia WWWNW
Pakistan LLLLL

Watch out for...

Shaun Marsh has made plenty of runs at his home ground, the WACA, over the past few years. But at international level, his only two appearances there have brought scores of 5 and 15. Marsh is in promising touch, having scored 41 and 83 in the past two games and without his opening partner Watson the Australians will be looking to him for a strong start.

Salman Butt has been Pakistan's most consistent batsman over the past month. He was on the way to another anchoring innings in Adelaide when he was sent packing for 34 thanks to an atrocious lbw decision. A good start from Butt will be one of the keys if Pakistan are to get a victory on the board.

Team news

Australia will make at least two changes, with Bollinger and Watson to be rested from the remaining two ODIs. Johnson will take Bollinger's position and James Hopes is the logical replacement for Watson, as a fellow medium-pace allrounder, which means Adam Voges is unlikely to break into the team unless a middle-order man like Michael Hussey or Michael Clarke is rotated out. There are several options as to who could open with Shaun Marsh in Watson's absence but the most likely is Brad Haddin, who has done the job 13 times in the past year for an average of 46.58. The success of Harris in Adelaide could encourage the selectors to be cautious with Peter Siddle's back soreness and give him extra time to recuperate.

Australia (possible) 1 Shaun Marsh, 2 Brad Haddin (wk), 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Michael Clarke, 5 Cameron White, 6 Michael Hussey, 7 James Hopes, 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Nathan Hauritz, 10 Ryan Harris, 11 Clint McKay.

Mohammad Aamer is likely to be left out of the final two games with a groin problem that also kept him on the sidelines in Adelaide. Fawad Alam showed enough fight to keep his place ahead of Shoaib Malik and with the series lost, there is no reason not to give Rao Iftikhar and Khalid Latif a run, neither having played yet on this tour. But trying to predict what the Pakistan selectors will do is an unrewarding task.

Pakistan (possible) 1 Salman Butt, 2 Kamran Akmal (wk), 3 Younis Khan, 4 Mohammad Yousuf (capt), 5 Umar Akmal, 6 Fawad Alam, 7 Shahid Afridi, 8 Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, 9 Umar Gul, 10 Mohammad Asif, 11 Saeed Ajmal.

Pitch and conditions

The WACA usually provides runs in abundance and in three of the past five one-day internationals there, the team batting first has posted 280-plus. The players will need plenty of drinks breaks: the forecast for Friday is very hot and sunny with a maximum temperature of 37C.

Stats and trivia

Australia have won 54% of their ODIs at the WACA, which is their second-lowest winning percentage of any ground in Australia. Their only worse venue is the Gabba, where they have won 46%
Australia are enjoying a purple patch and have won 21 of their past 26 ODIs. By contrast, Pakistan have won 11 of their past 26

Quotes

"We are trying to make the opposition feel as uncomfortable as we possibly can and win all the games we play."
Brad Haddin

"I try my level best but I think this is the best team in the world to play against. I think we play good cricket, not bad cricket."
Mohammad Yousuf

http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvpak09/content/current/story/446023.html

Last edited by a moderator:
kingusama92 said:
It`s starting later today since the match is in Perth.

11:30 EST.
Wow....the timings keep getting more and more horrible! :pissed:

kingusama92 said:
It`s starting later today since the match is in Perth.

11:30 EST.
salam:) 8:30 pm my time. May be watch the first half. Little late tonight for us in california too

iHammad said:
Wow....the timings keep getting more and more horrible! :pissed:

Team's also getting more and more horrible, so go to ZzZzZz. :yk

Wow, never realized, there are almost 1 hour difference within east and west Aus. Do they have multiple timezones?

Garuda said:
Wow, never realized, there are almost 1 hour difference within east and west Aus. Do they have multiple timezones?

They have three time zones.

Code:
EST - Queensland, New South Wales except Broken Hill, Victoria, Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania. 
CST - South Australia and Broken Hill, and the Northern Territory. 
WST - Western Australia.

kingusama92 said:
They have three time zones.

Code:
EST - Queensland, New South Wales except Broken Hill, Victoria, Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania. 
CST - South Australia and Broken Hill, and the Northern Territory. 
WST - Western Australia.

thanks man, you saved my google time :)

Garuda said:
they must:) Hello how are you?

I supported Pakistan for 2nd/3rd ODI and they lost. (Don't get surprised, I supported just to keep the series interesting ;-) )

However, now the series is gone, so new target is, Aussies should loose next 2 ODIs as they are going too far in Ranking points. So Pakistan should drag them little down.

But Watson, show me a good innings today.

They have 3 time zones... At least thats what my brother who is in brisbane told me. :26:

Sad part is that even if we win, it won't matter.

Hope we bat first so I can catch a couple of hours of entertainment from Butt, Fawad, and Umar, or a complete phainti.

Garuda said:
I supported Pakistan for 2nd/3rd ODI and they lost. (Don't get surprised, I supported just to keep the series interesting ;-) )

However, now the series is gone, so new target is, Aussies should loose next 2 ODIs as they are going too far in Ranking points. So Pakistan should drag them little down.

But Watson, show me a good innings today.

I dont think he is being played today.

On a serious note, i hope they do manage to salvage some pride in these last 2 games. Its been a horrible tour for Pakistan from every aspect of the game...

iZeeshan said:
Sad part is that even if we win, it won't matter.

Hope we bat first so I can catch a couple of hours of entertainment from Butt, Fawad, and Umar, or a complete phainti.

Agree, i hope inshallah they bat first and post a good total, and i hope that in the end Pakistan will win.

Dr_Bassim said:
On a serious note, i hope they do manage to salvage some pride in these last 2 games. Its been a horrible tour for Pakistan from every aspect of the game...

Agree, Inshallah today will be the day.

Garuda said:
Are you sure? Should I buy a lottery?

Even his captaincy was entertaining.
3 no balls in a row :26:
Do u deny his efforts ??

I am expecting Ponting to score big today. Usually he steps in , when the openers fail.

Dr_Bassim said:
I am expecting Ponting to score big today. Usually he steps in , when the openers fail.

Hopefully, we will bat first and in the end we will win. ;-)

Dr_Bassim said:
They have 3 time zones... At least thats what my brother who is in brisbane told me. :26:
Salam Bhai, how are you? So what do you think will happen today. I think we will suffer another loss.

Dr_Bassim said:

dr basim dr basim how are you sir? where is your analysis thread for today's game?? :D :26:

Nazir_ Rules said:
Hopefully, we will bat first and in the end we will win. ;-)
You got your hopes very high. Hope we at least give the ma fight. May be they should let Afridi lead the team

WithLoveFromCanada said:
i think we will win today.

what a true test of patience, match starting at 11:30 PM local time :(
aapke moonh mein ghee shakkar. How are we gonna win? eleven players, all with different motives

What do you need an analysis for.... ??
Its a bouncy WACA pitch....
And :moyo as captaan ...
Last i heard he was having fantasies about taking over T20 captaincy as well...

I have decided in this match, i will be happy if Pakistan just compete ... Desperate times i know :13:

Form guide (most recent first)

Australia WWWNW
Pakistan LLLLL :haha

Simpons kid is having a laugh at that.

Last edited:
Dr_Bassim said:
Even his captaincy was entertaining.
3 no balls in a row :26:
Do u deny his efforts ??

:))) :))) That was really funny.

But it will be too harsh to judge his captaincy for that. It was a sudden move by MoYo to go off and it was last 3 overs.

Dr_Bassim said:
What do you need an analysis for.... ??
Its a bouncy WACA pitch....
And :moyo as captaan ...
Last i heard he was having fantasies about taking over T20 captaincy as well...

I have decided in this match, i will be happy if Pakistan just compete ... Desperate times i know :13:
But Pakistan has a very good record at Perth:)

insaaniyat said:
But Pakistan has a very good record at Perth:)

Yes, which is why i am hoping for a fight. Otherwise.. this series should have been stopped after tests.
Like KO in boxing.

Dr_Bassim said:
Yes, which is why i am hoping for a fight. Otherwise.. this series should have been stopped after tests.
Like KO in boxing.
Why is Moyo afraid of experimenting? What do we have to lose?

I think the all ODI played against Australia (5) at this ground, Pakistan have won, inshallah they will win today too.

insaaniyat said:
Thats the thing yaar, moyo doesn't even know what experiment is? :pissed:
btw aadab arz hay. Dhond hi liya na tumain :D

insaaniyat said:

You are thinking too much into :moyo mental calibre.

First you need to tell him what experimenting is... :13:

He has no clue about the finesse and art of strategy, planning or experimentation.

Yousaf's Motto :
Just go out there and defend for your lives...

tauseefm said:
Thats the thing yaar, moyo doesn't even know what experiment is? :pissed:
btw aadab arz hay. Dhond hi liya na tumain :D
Salam, where would I be on a day of the match:)) That Moyo is really wierd. I have never seen anyone who thinks that way. Hope they play Khalid

Dr_Bassim said:
You are thinking too much into :moyo mental calibre.

First you need to tell him what experimenting is... :13:

He has no clue about the finesse and art of strategy, planning or experimentation.

Yousaf's Motto :
Just go out there and defend for your lives...
and to top it, he still wants to lead the team and now he has Inzi's support:))

The 1st hour of the match will tell us, where this match is heading....
I am sorry to say, the match changes for other teams, but Pakistanis by their body language will tell us what is gonna be the result of the match..

Dr_Bassim said:
The 1st hour of the match will tell us, where this match is heading....
I am sorry to say, the match changes for other teams, but Pakistanis by their body language will tell us what is gonna be the result of the match..

:26:

Fixed.

insaaniyat said:
and to top it, he still wants to lead the team and now he has Inzi's support:))

According to MoYo, success is a relative term.

The previous Pak teams did worse than his team. Hence he is having a very successful tour. :))

If Moyo has 1% brain then he will try some new players. Pak has nothing to lose, at least they'll do better then younus I think

afridi_captain said:
If Moyo has 1% brain then he will try some new players. Pak has nothing to lose, at least they'll do better then younus I think

I think its not good idea to drop YK. If he was supposed to be dropped he shouldn't have joined the series at all. He had a bad form. What he did for a recall?

If a bad form YK is being recalled, that means, he is the most imp batsman in the team. So as the ODI series is lost, then why not give YK two more ODIs (dead rubber) to work on his form. It will help future series.

If you are ready to give chance to a new batsman then why not the best batsman of your team who needs to get back to form?

Rather drop someone for a match who is doing well. Say give rest to Butt.

Garuda said:
I think its not good idea to drop YK. If he was supposed to be dropped he shouldn't have joined the series at all. He had a bad form. What he did for a recall?

If a bad form YK is being recalled, that means, he is the most imp batsman in the team. So as the ODI series is lost, then why not give YK two more ODIs (dead rubber) to work on his form. It will help future series.

If you are ready to give chance to a new batsman then why not the best batsman of your team who needs to get back to form?

YK is not fit for ODI and I don't think he has future in ODI, expecially if Afridi becomes the captain. YK is a must for our test team.

they should give younis these 2 odis as his final 2 chances to prove himself, thatll bring forward no excuses if he fails with these 2 chances.theres enough benefit of the doubt to give him 2 more odis to judge from as he might find his form.

Garuda said:

YK is in team coz of MoYo, and not because hes best player. As MoYo wont be captaining, its unlikely, YK would be picked in ODIs.

Garuda said:
According to MoYo, success is a relative term.

The previous Pak teams did worse than his team. Hence he is having a very successful tour. :))
I guess. He sure knows how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory:)) 2nd test:)))

Australia won the toss and are batting first.

Afridi_Fan said:
Should I laugh or bang my head?
i got my blanket ready, nice & warm!
its better to sleep than watch this humiliation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back