Australia v Sri Lanka | 4th ODI | Sydney | 20/1/12

Rubbish fielding. Should have stopped that one.

I think 210 may become a tricky chase for SL, looking at last match and conditions.

Pakistani bowlers would have crushed the tailenders. Here they are toying with Sri lankan bowling .

Last edited:
Brilliant batting from Starc, got to love how Dohetry works hard and sticks around unlike many other number 11s who give it away he should be picked for the indian series

8/166 to 222 :facepalm:
Should have bowled Dilshan for a couple of overs and saved Malinga for the last over. Perera? LOL fail whale

You said 6 months? We may have some gyneacologists on the board, then :)

Well not sure about Kiwi here but I am Perera's gynaecologist

dr-evil.jpg

Starc has the potential to be genuine all rounder.

He and watson together would be awesome for Aussies.

What a joke. Could have won this one and the series easily. Complete joke this. Hasn't rained for hours and they call it off? What about dew then?

What a joke. Could have won this one and the series easily. Complete joke this. Hasn't rained for hours and they call it off? What about dew then?
Pathetic stuff from umpires nothing wrong with outfield and hadn't rained in a hour..

There's more than winning and losing in cricket that is to make justice to the fans who bought tickets and came to the ground. Should have played a 20 over game and had a result, this is pathetic umpiring.

Pathetic stuff from umpires nothing wrong with outfield and hadn't rained in a hour..

Pretty sure it's Aus's doing. Should stop every time dew comes in then too. I mean that also disadvantages the bowling side. As I said this is a complete joke.

why match was called off on what basis pathethic
The outfield was fine it hadn't rained in 45 mins, the Australian bowlers and fielders were going through drills as well so the outfield wasn't too bad.

Had it been Aus chasing that total quite certain the match would not have been abandoned.

Now they will tie the series up in Hobart I guess.

I've seen some abandoned matches but this is really a strange, at the same time a suspect one. And this is not any ordinary ground, it's SCG for gods sake.

Last edited:
I've seen some abandoned matches but this is really a strange, at the same time a suspect one. And this is not any ordinary ground, it's SCG for gods sake.
Hopefully these jokers don't umpire again

Yeah very strange indeed. Never seen something like this before. Does this mean now the bowling sides can call off games because of dew? I mean that's a major disadvantage for the bowling side as well.

Yeah very strange indeed. Never seen something like this before. Does this mean now the bowling sides can call off games because of dew? I mean that's a major disadvantage for the bowling side as well.

Yeah I think from now on players should try their luck and ask umpires the fielders aren't feeling safe cos of dew, slippery and all so abandon play lol This is bizarre

Yeah I think from now on players should try their luck and ask umpires the fielders aren't feeling safe cos of dew, slippery and all so abandon play lol This is bizarre

This is all India's fault :msd

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-sri-lanka-2012/content/current/story/601512.html

Jayawardene said his team would write formally to the ICC match referee, Javagal Srinath, seeking an explanation for an inconsistency in rulings from one series to the next. Srinath had explained that play would not resume because he and the umpires Paul Reiffel and Marais Erasmus felt conditions were unfair, whereas in Sri Lanka the match referee, Andy Pycroft, had said play would only be stopped if deemed unsafe.

This robbed Sri Lanka of an ideal chance to finish the series off, having bowled superbly to restrict Australia to 9 for 222, and Jayawardene expressed surprise that a ground as rich in history and facilities as the SCG could not get the game re-started.

Conditions for calling off play

3.5.3 Suspension of play for adverse conditions of ground, weather or light
If at any time the umpires together agree that the conditions of ground, weather or light are so bad that there is obvious and foreseeable risk to the safety of any player or umpire, so that it would be unreasonable or dangerous for play to take place, then they shall immediately suspend play, or not allow play to commence or to restart. The decision as to whether conditions are so bad as to warrant such action is one for the umpires alone to make.
The fact that the grass and the ball are wet and slippery does not warrant the ground conditions being regarded as unreasonable or dangerous. If the umpires consider the ground is so wet or slippery as to deprive the bowler of a reasonable foothold, the fielders of the power of free movement, or the batsmen of the ability to play their strokes or to run between the wickets, then these conditions shall be regarded as so bad that it would be unreasonable for play to take place.

Srinath and the umpires must have their own set of rules. Where in the actual rules of the game does it state that play can be called off if it's deemed unfair? First I have ever heard of it. Next time when sides bowling second have to deal with dew they should ask for the game to be called off as well then. I can assure you that if the shoe was on the other foot or the series was not on the line there's no chance that the game would have been called off. Aussies obviously whined and moaned and got their way. What a complete joke.

Back