Ayrtek Premier Helmet Review

Cover Drive

Senior ODI Player
Runs
I wanted to buy an Ayrtek helmet for a while since I first saw Kumar Sangakarra wearing one because I liked the shape and concept behind it but I was not able to buy it earlier because it looked expensive to me (not now, I mean when I look at the initial price of Elite models when Ayrtek first broke into cricket field they were a lot cheaper than what they cost now (£229)). But after when I saw the new internal lining launched by Ayrtek I was very very keen to get one because for me comfort is most important factor in a helmet. In past I have owned helmets which were not a very good brand helmet nor they offered good protection but they were comfortable and that is what kept me using them.

Anyways, so I saw revboy selling it and obviously first thing that caught my eyes was the colour as I prefer green colour helmets so I started speaking with revboy and while I was in talks with him I was absolutely stunned by Tom @ Ayrtek's service, I simply didn't expect this, since Tom also knew that I am from Pakistan, support Pakistani cricket team etc etc what he did as a courtesy was that he threw Pakistan crest for free (which normally goes for £20 if I were to buy from Ayrtek directly) so I saved £20 there :D (But that savings was not really in my destiny as I got hit by customs for £20 LOL)

Now coming to helmet as I earlier mentioned comfort level is very important for me so first thing I did was check how comfortable the helmet is so I took out of the box and wore it straight away (must mention the scent of the helmet/helmet bag when I opened the box, it smelled amazing for some reason haha). When I first wore it I was like ''It is big mate'' but then I remembered it has got 'pump' on back so I pressed that button many times to fill in air and once I felt I have reached at optimum point I stopped. Then did a bit of shadow batting with the helmet and it felt very good and it passed my initial test.

In the beginning it felt a bit awkward wearing a new helmet because I wore a different helmet almost after a year so that is understandable, I believe it will require few nets before Ayrtek fully moulds on my head. I still remember when I first wore my Masuri I felt something is hurting me from the sides and I would often pull apart my helmet to loosen it but with this helmet that was not the case, it felt amazing while wearing it, the lining is pretty impressive, I really like it.

Second thing I love to have is big gap between front of my face and grill and this Ayrtek helmet passes that test too! I remember I don't know which model was it but I had this Albion helmet whose grill would be literally 1-2 cms away from my nose.

I would like to give Tom a feedback and that is that when I wear the helmet and wear chin strap what is a bit (little bit only :) ) uncomfortable are the plastic 'holders' which are on side (on ears). The strap is fine as it is in other helmets too but that plastic feels a bit wired when I wear that helmet so rather than that position maybe lower it a bit and position it just under the ear if that is possible and if that make any sense ?

It is very very small feedback and are hardly noticeable but I believe if these are sorted out then it would be better. Again these things have not displeased me for even 2% out of hundred so don't think I am not happy with the helmet or I regret. I am very happy for the helmet and I believe I got a very good price for it too!

So once again many thanks to both revboy and Tom both were superb to deal with and I had wonderful experience with them.

After receiving Ayrtek I am fully convinced why they are expensive and why Elite model is £229, they fully deserve that price tag. If down the road of my life I happen to have ample of cash in my hands I can see myself owning Ayrtek Elite helmet :D. The question I am asking to myself after receiving this helmet is "If Premier is so good and if I am so happy with this helmet then I wonder how Elite one will be!" and I guess time will answer that :D

Last edited:
My helmets;

DSC07221.jpg

DSC07231.jpg

DSC07232.jpg

Without crest :)

DSC07234.jpg

With crest :D

DSC07236.jpg

DSC07237.jpg

DSC07240.jpg

Great review , but if you get a cracker on the grill would you buy the expensivest grill out there again or stickto albion or masuri

Amazing stuff bro as usual; now you literally have your 'head' in the right thing :))

Amazin' Stuff.

How Did You Get The Star On The Helmet?

What Are The Two Buttons On The Back?

Great review , but if you get a cracker on the grill would you buy the expensivest grill out there again or stickto albion or masuri

For me what I want in the grill is proper vision and distance between my face and grill that is what is most important to me.

Apart from bounce factor, I don't mind a steel one either.

My Masuri has steel grill and it is very good too.

The pitches we play on don't have enough bounce so I am sure it will last for a while.

Exactly.

Amazing stuff bro as usual; now you literally have your 'head' in the right thing :))

Haha LOL :))

Amazin' Stuff.

How Did You Get The Star On The Helmet?

What Are The Two Buttons On The Back?

JazaakAllah Khair :).

As I mentioned in the review Ayrtek threw the crest for free as a courtesy (very kind of Tom I must say).

The 'bigger' one is pump which fills air in the lining and other is to release the air.

I thought I'd update you guys, I used this helmet today for the first time and it felt amazing! It didn't look that I was wearing it after a while (maybe because I am always wearing it at home :)) ).

Brilliant helmet! I really liked it.

Still too early to predict if this is any better than Masuri or others.

are you a pro cricketer?

or do you have a cricket equipment business?

are you a pro cricketer?

or do you have a cricket equipment business?

Not a professional cricketer nor I intend to become one.

No, cricket equipment business whatsoever :).

So in brief 'No' to both of your questions :).

Did the helmet keep you cooler than if you were using Masuri or Albion? It was recommended to me to buy one of these by my kid's coach as apparently if you play long innings these keep your head much cooler than other helmets. Just wondered how true this is.

Pak badge looks the business :moyo

Not sure about that but I was just batting at a stop (eg no running) and it was for 15 minutes not sure if that count as longer.

Yaar the thing is that I don't sweat that much either, as opposed to a normal person I don't sweat much :(

I will keep you updated on it though, once I play with this helmet more I will get you a answer soon InshAllah!

Indeed yaar its lovely thinking of one for Masuri as well now :))

Back