[VIDEOS] ICC World Cup 2023: Angelo Mathews Timed Out - Worse than Mankad?

Was Angelo Mathews' time out dismissal against the Spirit of Cricket?

• Yes, totally uncalled for

Votes: 114 89.1%
  • No, Bangladesh did the right thing

Votes: 17 13.3%

• Total voters
I actually like the rule.
It shows you what sort of character the opposing captain/team have.
Exposes them for what they are.

Tendulkar could have been times out in a game in South Africa, but the South African captain (Graham Smith) allowed him to continue.
I was addressing the fans who are raising the "spirit of the game" point..... at Shakib's action. Where were they when this rule was put in place in ICC? Nobody needed to be a genious to guess that the day first batsman is given out in the manner, the hell will break lose. That is exactly what a happened.

But shouldn't rules be made that are good for the game of the cricket in general - instead of testing the character of the captain or the team in such a round about way?

Bangladesh should've withdrawn the appeal and allowed Angelo back.

Poor from them.

I don't have anything against a "genuine" mankad. When I say genuine I mean the non-striker setting off before the delivery stride to steal a quick run.

However recently we have seen where the bowler intentionally completes a mock action and the batsman post the delivery stride barely leaves the crease in anticipation of the shot. The bowler takes the bail off and simply like that its Mankad.

When a law is intentionally being used for manipulation then the law needs revision.

In my opinion if a batsman is out of the crease before the bowler's action then it can be out as batsman is genuinely trying to steal a run there. However if the bowler gets the batsman out when the non-striker is simply taking a minute step in anticipation of shot from batsman then it should be 5 penalty runs to batting team. Most posters would think that is exactly how it is but its not case in point being Shadab dismissal against Afghanistan or Ashwin against Butler. In such cases given the rigid nature of the law the bowlers have "intentionally" decided to Mankad rather than bowl a ball and play cricket. We need to change that mindset.

Nothing with wrong with that. If you don’t want to get out, stay behind the crease at all time or face the music. I hope we see more mankad incidents. I watched Shadab’s dismissal and it was perfectly done.

I get the criticism Bangladesh is getting, but I want someone to clear up something here first.

If lets say 5 mins were taken by the Mathews, would that extra 3 mins fall on Bangladesh's time? Because Bangladesh is trying to bowl within the over rates, and if they are ahead by 1 or 2 mins that gives them an advantage further. So if a batter is late, thus the time get subtracted from Bangladesh's qouta?

Because remember, if you go above over rate, than Bangladesh is forced to reduce fielders on the boundary.

So if this was gonna come from Bangladesh's qouta of time, than the Bangladeshis were spot on, as they would have to worry one less batter in the final overs, because they would be at risk with a lesser fielder
Athar Ali Khan made a similar point.

But I don't think its correct. It would be the same as Rizwan getting cramps right. The umpires wouldn't penalise the bowling team for that.

Yes and Dhoni was wrong. He wanted to protect his image and divert attention from poor cricket being played by India. Got his sportsmanship plaudits and spirit of cricket award.

We surrendered a psychological edge to England that day, which would haunt us for many years.
Actually what happened was the umpire shouted 'over' mistakenly, and Bell thought the ball was dead, and Dhoni didn't hear the umpire and assumed the ball was live and runout Bell. Lunch was then declared, and once inside, the umpires explained the situation to Dhoni who then asked to withdraw the appeal, so Bell was back batting in the afternoon session.

There was no spirit of the game stuff in that incident because it was an umpire cock up.

Mathews didn't purposefully did that. One of his hemlets strap broke off. Unlucky.

Umpires should've been more considerate.

I will blame ICC for making such rule where questions of "spirit of the game" are raised...or the fans/cricketers/experts not raising a stink at the time this rule of "timed out" was put in place.
The rule is correct
It prevents batsmen from wasting time when they are playing to save a test match

They don't take cricket seriously because its played over 5 days
And ODIs over 8.5 hours

Cricket laws have nothing to do with this

This is hundred percent true in my opinion.

My American friends would be surprised when they heard an ODI took a whole day.

And they would absolutely freak when told that a Test took five days.

It would then blow their mind that it was possible to not have a result at the end of five days.

And that a draw was sometimes more exciting than a result.

I was addressing the fans who are raising the "spirit of the game" point..... at Shakib's action. Where were they when this rule was put in place in ICC? Nobody needed to be a genious to guess that the day first batsman is given out in the manner, the hell will break lose. That is exactly what a happened.

But shouldn't rules be made that are good for the game of the cricket in general - instead of testing the character of the captain or the team in such a round about way?
Yes I know that you were saying.
My reply was an emotional one.

So what should the law say?

Unlimited time to come out to bat? Imagine a team wanting to save a test match or waiting for bad light/rain and the its batsman takes 30 minutes to come out to bat while the fielding team waits lol

You would have seen many batsman pick up the ball after blocking it for a dot and give the ball to the wicketkeeper
The opposition team can appeal and it would be OUT OBSTRUCTING THE FIELD

But do teams appeal?

No sympathy for Matthews.

This is not a village game. Come prepared to crease.

Competition for 8th spot on table and Champions trophy spot is very heated. Fully expect Ned, Bangla, SL to do everything to ensure they catch the bus for it.

Athar Ali Khan made a similar point.

But I don't think its correct. It would be the same as Rizwan getting cramps right. The umpires wouldn't penalise the bowling team for that.
It all depends upon the rules with over rates.

When Rizwan was laying on the ground, Indian team were also abit edgy and kept having a word with Rizwan and Umpires due to the over rate.

If the time is being cut from the over rate, than Bangladeshi captain did the right thing. If the time is not subtracted from the Bangladesh's over rate or time advantage, than they were abit petty.

You cant critisize such rules, because they are needed to regulate the game, but implementation matters.

Basketball uses a shot clock, tennis has a shot clock. In the French Open semifinal Alcaraz lost a gane without a point being played because of a medical timeout, Djokovic won that set. Rules are rules no matter how harsh.

About time cricket becomes a rules based professional sport instead of the usual village circus. Main reason Europeans and Americans don't take cricket seriously is that rules aren't watertight in our sport and open to interpretation.
Its became apparent this wasn't an issue with time as he was ready to face until the equipment failed him.

They've clearly botched this one up.

So what should the law say?

Unlimited time to come out to bat? Imagine a team wanting to save a test match or waiting for bad light/rain and the its batsman takes 30 minutes to come out to bat while the fielding team waits lol

You would have seen many batsman pick up the ball after blocking it for a dot and give the ball to the wicketkeeper
The opposition team can appeal and it would be OUT OBSTRUCTING THE FIELD

But do teams appeal?

I was addressing the fans who are criticizing Shakib for appealing in the name "spirit of the game". Either one follows the rule or if you don't like the rule, then criticise the people (ICC) who made the rule ..... don't criticize Shakib for following the rule.

So it turns out that helmet malfunction was not the reason. Mathews was just lazy and late.

I was addressing the fans who are criticizing Shakib for appealing in the name "spirit of the game". Either one follows the rule or if you don't like the rule, then criticise the people (ICC) who made the rule ..... don't criticize Shakib for following the rule.
Forget it.
You need to win by skill not by chichore-pana.

Congrats Matthew to be first…. If captains are fined for not completing overs quota in stipulated time, then Matthew is also eligible for costing his wicket… how could he brought wrong helmet? It’s pure laziness from the batsman.

Actually what happened was the umpire shouted 'over' mistakenly, and Bell thought the ball was dead, and Dhoni didn't hear the umpire and assumed the ball was live and runout Bell. Lunch was then declared, and once inside, the umpires explained the situation to Dhoni who then asked to withdraw the appeal, so Bell was back batting in the afternoon session.

There was no spirit of the game stuff in that incident because it was an umpire cock up.
Ok didn't know that. The entire issue was blown up by Indian media probably to divert attention from India's pathetic performance and make some sort of hero out of Dhoni. Now that you explain what happened the spirit of cricket award to Dhoni for that is just hilarious.

Ok didn't know that. The entire issue was blown up by Indian media probably to divert attention from India's pathetic performance and make some sort of hero out of Dhoni. Now that you explain what happened the spirit of cricket award to Dhoni for that is just hilarious.
Except all of British media from right wing Mail to lefties Guardian applauded Dhoni's decision to retract appeal and no where was the umpires call mentioned...

Take what you have been told with a very generous pinch of salt about Umpire calling over....

Even Ian Bell admitted his stupidity to UK media....

While it's a good story, nothing like that happened.

Bell had confirmed that he didn't hear over. Umpires didn't call it over, else there was no point of even considering the appeal.

There has already been confirmation from Bell and umpires that nothing like that happened. No need to watch clip for that.
You are wrong. It is very clear that Bell thought the Umpire had said over, which they did, and can be heard in the video clips.

Rizwan under huge pressure after what happened today in Delhi. Kohli almost set timer when he walked into bat vs Ind.

From horse's mouth

"I take some of the blame. To walk off was very naive, a bit stupid," Bell

It is small team mentality. Since winning just on pure skill is an uphill battle so these kind of methods are employed to get advantage. You will hardly ever see any of the top 4 + Pakistan use these kind of childish tactics. In fact if the Pakistani team did something like this they will be heckled by their own fans.

It's just a random saying which mentions what everyone already knows and nothing what you have claimed so far.

Mankading is also right…. Non-striker batsman should not leave his crease before bowler release the ball otherwise NSB eligible for run-out… it is very useful in crunch game.

For ex. Team need to 2 runs to win on last delivery of match…. Bowler bowled last delivery, but before bowler release ball he leaves his crease early by 1 ft…Batsman played the ball to mid-on… batsmen takes double, but throw at non-striker end hits the stump, bowling team appealed for runout…. Replay shown Non-striker batsman’s bat just over the line when ball hit the stumps… batting side win the match

If non-striker batsman leaves his crease after bowler releases delivery, then non-striker batsman would be run out… and batting side would have win it….

Therefore law 38.3 of mankading is justified

It's just a random saying which mentions what everyone already knows and nothing what you have claimed so far.
If that was directed at me, mate I am arguing against this fairy tale of umpire calling over..

Don't worry about it, you are clearly accepting the sensationalised Indian version.

Ian bell thought he had heard 'Over' hence started walking off. I too posted a link straight from the horses mouth. :)

From the Guardian:

"Kumar was clearly under the impression that the ball had gone for four, as he returned it forlornly to the square. It was taken by MS Dhoni who then gave it to the short-leg fielder, Abhinav Mukund, who broke the wicket. By this time Bell and Morgan, who appeared to think the umpire had called "over" were on their way back to the pavilion for their cup of tea."

------

SKY clips of the incident capture the above through the stump mics.

Don't worry about it, you are clearly accepting the sensationalised Indian version.

Ian bell thought he had heard 'Over' hence started walking off. I too posted a link straight from the horses mouth. :)

You have repeatedly claimed that umpire calling it over and yet haven't posted single link to back up that claim.

From the Guardian:

"Kumar was clearly under the impression that the ball had gone for four, as he returned it forlornly to the square. It was taken by MS Dhoni who then gave it to the short-leg fielder, Abhinav Mukund, who broke the wicket. By this time Bell and Morgan, who appeared to think the umpire had called "over" were on their way back to the pavilion for their cup of tea."

------

SKY clips of the incident capture the above through the stump mics.

The Sky TV audio track also has no sound of the umpire calling over. The only time the word "over" is heard on that piece of video tape, comes from Ishant who, after the bails are dislodged, is heard asking in Hindi if the over had ended and whether it was time for tea.

You have repeatedly claimed that umpire calling it over and yet haven't posted single link to back up that claim.
I did post a link, it was deleted. I have posted an excerpt now.

Bell thought the Umpire had called 'over', which is the reason why he walked towards the pavilion. Watch the clips that reveal the stump mic audio too - but you are not interested in the facts.

When teams get so desperate to win games, this is what happens. Pathetic stuff

Poetic justice

p8ptwK1.png

Angelo always had the lazy and sleepy vibe around him, even today so lethargic. He had the ability to become an ATG once upon a time, but never put in required effort.

Shakib Al Hasan in post match interview:

"When I won toss, didn't have any hesitation to bowl. We've trained here and know there's a lot of dew. It was a very good partnership, and would've loved to finish it off. One of our fielders came to me and said if you appeal now he'll be out. Then I appealed and the umpires asked me if I'm serious or whether I am going to take it back. It's in the laws. I don't know if it's right or wrong. I was at war and I had to take a decision to make sure my team wins. Right or wrong, there will be debates but if it is in the rules I don't mind taking those chances. That (altercation with Mathews) helped, bit more fight, I'm 36 and normally fight doesn't come easily but happy it did today."

This makes me stomach absolutely sick. This is a terrible horrific disgusting incident in cricket. What a shame!

Kusal Mendis in post match Interview:

"It's very disappointing - when Angelo came to the crease, there were 5 second left. Then he found out strap of the helmet came off. It's disappointing umpires couldn't step in and make correct decision."

This is worse than Mankading a batsman. It’s in the rules but I found this to be truly classless from Shakib and unsportsmanlike.

Glad Matthews got some revenge in the end. The send off with him pointing at his wrist was a great one. Still terrible sportsmanship by Shakib - not sure if people will ever forget about this.

He actually clarified with shakib that his helmet broke and he needed some time, but that presumably went out the window when one of his fielders chatted to him. Really underhanded way to get a batsman out tbh.

1699291290775.png

Azhar Ali is expressing concern that today's event of Angelo Mathew's dismissal was against the spirit of game.

Wow Azhar ali whose field of study was tuk tuk and once had 32 ball duck lasting 40 minutes, on a serious note Azhar is right this law is against sportsmanship however to avoid time wasting there should be penalty runs like 6 runs

Shakib Al Hasan during this post match press conference:

[Reporter:]

"Another chapter added to the Sri Lanka Bangladesh rivalry, looking back any regrets?"

[Shakib Al Hasan:]

"Not at all.

One of our fielders came to me and said, if you appeal, the law says he's out because he hasn't taken his guard within the time frame. So, then I appealed to the umpires, umpire told me whether you're going to call him back or not, if I said he's out, then you call him back, it doesn't look good. I said I won't call him back.

We played under-19 together, World Cup, so I know Angelo for a long, long time, since 2006. Yeah, unfortunate, but within the rules."

"Following up on that question, yes, it's out as per the rule but in terms of spirit of cricket, did you ever think of calling him back again?"

"Well, then ICC should look into it and change the rules."

"As a batter, if you put yourself in Angelo's shoes and if the same thing happened to you, what would you feel?"

"I'll be careful. It doesn't happen to me."

This is on par with the underarm by the Chappel brothers in 1981. :ROFLMAO:

Mankad is at least trying to stop the batter gaining some sort of advantage, even though its poor but here Shakib didnt want Matthews to even take guard.

Skahib should be ashamed of himself, he's made his nation look small minded and petty. I feel bad for the nation who are mostly criticising him too.

It’s within the rules but not sure what was the point of this rule in this context where weather or draw is not a scenario.

Angelo Mathews speaking in the post game presser.

"it was disgraceful from Shakib and Bangladesh. If you want to play cricket like that and stoop down to that level, then there is something wrong, drastically"

"We are not talking about mankading or obstructing the field. This is pure common sense and bringing the game into disrepute. It's absolutely disgraceful. You need to respect the game, we are all ambassadors of this beautiful game"

Last edited:
Angelo Mathews speaking in the post game presser.

Angelo Mathews "it was disgraceful from Shakib and Bangladesh. If you want to play cricket like that and stoop down to that level, then there is something wrong, drastically"

Angelo Mathews "We are not talking about mankading or obstructing the field. This is pure common sense and bringing the game into disrepute. It's absolutely disgraceful. You need to respect the game, we are all ambassadors of this beautiful game"

You cant blame Matthews for feeling like this. He of course wasnt to know Shakibs petty mind but in the same situation in future, he should take guard and then stop play before the bowler releases the ball, calling for the correct helmet.

ICC have been strong with concussion after the tragedy of Phil Hughes, they should change the rule to allow no time out if the incorrect headgear is bought out.

Batman's helmet strap broke and he explained.

I anyway have very little respect for Shakib. He chickened out of tough SA tour. He is just a joke in international cricket for getting a wicket like this. Batsman can get injured without playing with helmet.

Hope there is more discussion about these things, need to get some sort of debate started and then MCC/ICC can make the rules more clear, leaving no chance at interpretation.

Hope there is more discussion about these things, need to get some sort of debate started and then MCC/ICC can make the rules more clear, leaving no chance at interpretation.
It doesn’t make sense in a game where draw is not an option..

I get the criticism Bangladesh is getting, but I want someone to clear up something here first.

If lets say 5 mins were taken by the Mathews, would that extra 3 mins fall on Bangladesh's time? Because Bangladesh is trying to bowl within the over rates, and if they are ahead by 1 or 2 mins that gives them an advantage further. So if a batter is late, thus the time get subtracted from Bangladesh's qouta?

Because remember, if you go above over rate, than Bangladesh is forced to reduce fielders on the boundary.

So if this was gonna come from Bangladesh's qouta of time, than the Bangladeshis were spot on, as they would have to worry one less batter in the final overs, because they would be at risk with a lesser fielder
No, time for injured players getting treatment is not counted against the bowling side. 1 minute extra to replace broken strap helmet wouldn't have counted against BD. Umpire could definitively make sure of that.

No team should allow unscheduled break for any reason to any BD players in future.

Law my foot. Batsman touching the ball after a block will get out if everyone starting behaving like Shakib.

This is always considered a serious violation. I have heard batsmen running really fast to the wicket in the yester era to avoid getting timed out. Having said tt is entirely upto the discretion of opponent captain depending on the situation. If someone is deliberately taking more time with no rhyme or reason it is justifiable to time him out. In special circumstance such as this he could let it slide. Hope nobody equates this to mankading which is something controllable by players. This Indeed could have happened to Ganguly once. Tendulkar was slated to come in next in one of the Test match against SA. But Tendulkar was not on the field for few minutes towards the end of the SA innings. So he could not walk in immediately after a wicket. Hence they had to hurry Ganguly to go instead. He took 6 minutes. Graeme smith let it slide.

What I don’t understand is why Angelo had to
Its became apparent this wasn't an issue with time as he was ready to face until the equipment failed him.

They've clearly botched this one up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally uncalled for and Bangladesh’s response was a disgrace, especially if Matthews had indicated to Shakib and umpire he had issues with the helmet. This is way way worser than Mankad because that one is actually the batsman’s fault.

More quotes from Mathews from his presser:

Well, how did you feel when you were given out at that point of time and had you done it differently if you were there at the other end?

[Angelo Mathews:]

Yeah, because I haven't done anything wrong. I have two minutes to get to the crease and get myself ready, which I did. And then it was an equipment malfunction. And I don't know where the common sense went, because obviously it's obviously disgraceful from Shakib and Bangladesh if they want to play cricket like that obviously stooped down to that level I think there's something wrong drastically because - if I got late if I got past my two minutes to get to the crease and in the law says you have to be ready within the two minutes and I was there two minutes 45 or 50 seconds - I still had after my helmet broke off, I still had five more seconds to go. And the umpires also have said to our coaches that they didn't see my helmet breaking. I mean, I was just asking for my helmet.

So, it was just pure common sense. I'm not talking about mankading or obstructing the field here. This is just pure common sense and bringing the game into disrepute. It is absolutely disgraceful.

You spoke about the Bangladesh players' behaviour being absolutely not on. What about the behaviour of your own players, refusing to shake hands with the opposition?

Yeah, you need to respect people who respect us. It doesn't mean that - they have to respect the game itself. I mean, we all are ambassadors of this beautiful game, including the umpires. So then, if you don't respect and if you don't use your common sense, what more can you ask for?

So earlier in the press conference, Shaqib said that both of you guys have a long history. You've been playing from a 19-age, and both of you know each other. And he was talking, and he didn't have any regrets. Any thoughts of that?

Yeah, so I mean, see, up to today, I had utmost respect to him and Bangladesh team. Obviously, you all play to win. And if it's within the rule, it's fine. But the rule clearly says, in my incident today, within two minutes I was there. We have video evidence. We will put out a statement later on. We have video evidence, footage, everything was looked. I'm not just coming and saying things here. I'm talking with proof.

So, we have the video evidence where from the time the catch was taken, and then from the time I walked into the crease, I still had five seconds after breaking my helmet. So, we talk about safety of the players - you guys tell me if It's right for me to take my guard without my helmet on? It's just pure common sense.

That's why I think the umpires also had a bigger job at the time, because they could have at least gone back and checked. So, we talk about player safety. And a wicket keeper for the spinner is not - they don't let him keep without his helmet. So how can I take my guard without my helmet? It's complete equipment malfunction.

You talked about umpires role here – do you think the dismissals of obstructing the field and the one that you had today are too ambiguous. They need to have more clear object criteria there to be defined as a dismissal. Because they can argue that you were not ready to face the ball because you had a malfunction. So that's technicality comes here. Do you think these are very ambiguous rules and they need to be revisited?

No, I think in terms of Mankading and, say, obstructing the field, the rules are quite clear. I mean, because the rule clearly says that if you're out of your crease, the bowler can break the stumps. So, if you're in line of the stumps and if you're obstructing the ball being hit to the stumps, then it clearly says you're out.

But here, where is the common sense?

Here, I think in my 15 years of career, I've never seen a team going down to that level because obviously the umpires also admitted that it's equipment malfunction, and they could have gone upstairs and checked again.

Yeah, I mean, what's the point not checking at that time and then saying it afterwards? Because I'm not saying if I was there, we could have won the match. It's a different story. But still, you need to have your common sense in terms of using technology. And also, it was clearly a malfunction. I mean, it just came off. You know, I didn't mean to pull it and break it.

I still had my time as well and I was in complete shock.

Ultimately the decision was given by the umpire. So, do you think it was the wrong decision by them actually? Do you think the momentum has changed after that incident?

In my opinion, yes. Because if I haven't done anything wrong, whose fault is it?

Well, as I said, it's a technicality which needs to be discussed because it's a World Cup game and what happens if this happens in the last over when you have three or four runs to get in the last wicket. I mean, it's just pure common sense.

I wasn't trying to waste time. I wasn't trying to get advantage of anything. It was just pure equipment malfunction. And it just happened for the very first time in my career. And I'm absolutely shocked.

I'm not going to say that if I had batted today, we would have won the match. I'm not saying that. I mean, I'm just talking about that incident where, obviously, it was a crucial time of the match. And we could have gone either way. I mean, we could have got 54, 60 runs more as well. You never know. But it was just pure disgraceful.

We have seen in this press conference that you are talking about that in your career in 15 years, you haven't seen this kind of attitude by a team that happened today. So, do you think that in your career in last 15 years, you haven't seen it doesn't mean that no team can complain or appeal like this kind of out. Because that final decision given by the umpire and in ICC media Also the fourth umpire clear about this out that you are out. So, you are saying that Shakib and Bangladesh team were disrespectful towards you. Do you think that umpires also disrespectful towards you because they've up their finger and that's why you got out?

It's not about umpires being disrespectful. They could have checked.

Yes, I think, unfortunately, it happened against Bangladesh. I don't think any other team would do that because it was black and white. It was equipment, the helmet coming off and it was a safety issue as well, because we know that without a helmet, I cannot face a bowler. And it was just there to be seen. It was not about anyone being disrespectful.

Yes, Shakib had the option of - he knew that this was not time-wasting or I was there within my time. And he had the choice of, but he decided to go the other way. And my personal opinion is, if it was any other team, they wouldn't have done it.

The fourth umpire said that the equipment that batters or suggested that the equipment that batters use is kind of their own responsibility. What's your response to that?

All of you guys heard, yeah? It's quite laughable, I think. It's our responsibility, yes. If I went without a helmet to bat to a fast bowler, then it's my responsibility, obviously. But something coming off, some equipment coming off, do you really think I would know it's going to come off? I don't understand the logic behind what he has said.

A follow up to the same question, the fourth umpire actually during the innings break said that the batter wasn't ready to receive the ball within those two minutes, even before the strap became an issue for him. The two minutes had already elapsed. Do you think you came late, slightly late to the crease or your thoughts on that?

If you ask the question from now, he would have a different answer. Because we have evidence, video evidence. As I said, I'm not just saying what I'm just saying. I have the video evidence and if anybody wants to contest it, I urge them to.

[Reporter]

What do you think about your out? The law dictates that amperes rule out when you are out. Could you please elaborate on the things you discussed with them during that time, and provide a brief summary of the incident once more?

[Angelo Mathews]

[Sinhalese]

I deeply regret the conduct of the Bangladesh team during that incident. Mankading or creating obstacles on the field is not a problem. I quickly returned to the crease within two minutes, and it was there that my helmet came off. The umpires and judges had a clear view of this situation. Even after the helmet came off, I had five seconds even after breaking the helmet. I displayed my helmet, but later, the umpires claimed that the opposing side had appealed. I questioned the common sense of this decision since the two minutes allotted to me had not yet elapsed. I have video evidence to support this claim. Now, the umpires have informed the coaches that they should have reviewed the situation in that manner. It's pointless to take action after the fact; it should have been addressed in real time, considering the available technology. Umpires could have easily determined the timing difference at that moment. I'm at a loss for words regarding this situation. In my 15 years of experience, I've never witnessed a team and player being put in such a lowly position.

No team should allow unscheduled break for any reason to any BD players in future.

Law my foot. Batsman touching the ball after a block will get out if everyone starting behaving like Shakib.
That one still surprises me when batters kick it

This is always considered a serious violation. I have heard batsmen running really fast to the wicket in the yester era to avoid getting timed out. Having said tt is entirely upto the discretion of opponent captain depending on the situation. If someone is deliberately taking more time with no rhyme or reason it is justifiable to time him out. In special circumstance such as this he could let it slide. Hope nobody equates this to mankading which is something controllable by players. This Indeed could have happened to Ganguly once. Tendulkar was slated to come in next in one of the Test match against SA. But Tendulkar was not on the field for few minutes towards the end of the SA innings. So he could not walk in immediately after a wicket. Hence they had to hurry Ganguly to go instead. He took 6 minutes. Graeme smith let it slide.

This is was the first time in international cricket where a batsman was timed out.

Batsmen run out to the crease to warm up their legs and soeee Uk their reaction.. trust me, as someone from the yester era, nobody ran out it the crease for fear of being timed out

Mankad rule is very much open to abuse...
A bowler looking to run out a batsman by slowing down during his action is unacceptable and there is no way of objectively coming to this conclusion...

Back