ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand (172/5) deliver a telling blow to Pakistan's semi-finals chances with a 5-wicket win over Sri Lanka (171)

Yah, all Pakistan had to do beat one team and win other games, but they lost against Afg. But I am not sure they would have won even against NZ if full overs were played. Pakistan simply has a horrible bowling in this WC.
Bro, you have understand the word “Nizam ka Qudrat”….

pak again misses out third consecutive time in a row to play a semifinal.
We never learns from our mistakes. Never ever. Babar will be the scrapgoat and we will bring captain from out of this squad. Most probably shan

I was actually disappointed back then that Pakistan didn't went for it you know. Sarfraz opted to bowl first.

I mean in a way this kind of mentality separates the great teams from mid to mediocre ones.

We saw how strong of a mental belief Australians had that day when Maxwell put on a show.

No Pakistan batted first in that game, they won by a 100 runs though, not 500

sri lanka vs bangla matches will be like indo pak in the future.....sri lankans cricketers feel their match up only when they play to bangladesh

I think, still a big task left for PAK - they have to beat Poms….. if AFGs somehow end above PAK on that table….. trust me, they’ll make every Pakistani life difficult for next 3.5 years.

Highest strike rate against SL in this world cup 101. Highest centuries against SL.

Capturewerweww.jpg
Strike rate of 71.22 is insane. There's almost a 15-run strike rate difference between India at 1 and Afghanistan at 2.

The problem is Pakistan somehow have to win the toss and bat first.

Chasing will be impossible.

Will England win the toss and give Pakistan a go ?

pak again misses out third consecutive time in a row to play a semifinal.
We never learns from our mistakes. Never ever. Babar will be the scrapgoat and we will bring captain from out of this squad. Most probably shan
2019 that rain effect game did it but this time no excuse team played crappy

The way New Zealand destroyed Sri Lanka tonight, Pakistan had no chance if it came to NRR.

Only way was to win one extra game and we failed to do that.

If the team that finishes 4th will get "destroyed", what would happen to a side that finishes 5th or 6th?
Yes, Ind is playing good cricket but it will be now about 3 games. Any of these 4 teams can win 2 games. NZ also plays good cricket against Ind in tournaments. NZ actually has a very good record.

The most disappointing thing about England vs Pakistan match is that if England win the toss and bat first, even a neutral supporter loses interest in the match at the toss.

A blanket interest only remains if Pakistan is batting first.

2019 that rain effect game did it but this time no excuse team played crappy
That time also crappy. If you can lose to westindies in worst way and then win againsf afghanistan in a very very close fight then you dont deserve to be in SF

The most disappointing thing about England vs Pakistan match is that if England win the toss and bat first, even a neutral supporter loses interest in the match at the toss.

A blanket interest only remains if Pakistan is batting first.
Yup, so correct me - if Pak bat first then say they make 350, they need to get Eng out for 75? recall how slow the track was there but how Kohli bated made the difference

That time also crappy. If you can lose to westindies in worst way and then win againsf afghanistan in a very very close fight then you dont deserve to be in SF
Beat two finalists . Didn’t lose to Sa and Afg. So much better definitely.

Yes, Ind is playing good cricket but it will be now about 3 games. Any of these 4 teams can win 2 games. NZ also plays good cricket against Ind in tournaments. NZ actually has a very good record.
I'm aware, what I take exception to is the ridiculous assertion that NZ don't deserve to be there and that a team that finishes below them would have fared better. That's just insane logic

I'm aware, what I take exception to is the ridiculous assertion that NZ don't deserve to be there and that a team that finishes below them would have fared better. That's just insane logic

True.
How would they have challenged when they were not even good enough to be there in the first place?

Haven't even beaten one top team yet (Nz was DL and we needed to bat at 8.5 which wasn't happening in a full match) and we would have given India a tough time.

Delusional.

Pakistan has never beaten India in WC. NZ has won more often against India in WC. Given NZ has a better team than Pakistan right now , I think NZ has a better chance of winning than Pakistan.

Now, Sure India may easily win against NZ in semis, but NZ has better chance to compete against India. Pakistan won against SL, Ned and BD. Against NZ, I am not sure they would have won if full 50 overs were played. I don't think Pakistan has a team to challenge India. NZ is better suited.

The problem is Pakistan somehow have to win the toss and bat first.

Chasing will be impossible.

Will England win the toss and give Pakistan a go ?
If England wins the toss, they'll chose depending on whatever they think will help them win. They only want the 2 points, they have no stake in Pakistan's benchmarks.

Doesn't matter what they clock. Rauf has been rinsed worse than a village trundler in this World Cup.

Congrats on winning the speedgun cup - whichever speed gun measures how fast you get smashed out of the park. Rauf is definitely #1 at that
What does an Indian know about fast bowling.India is a factory of trundlers. They can never match Pakistan in terms of speed.

In a way I hope we win against England and still end up in 5th place with a lower NRR than NZ. Maybe then maybe someone in the Pakistan set up will take note about our approach to not only 5 over cricket but T20 and tests also..

Game awareness needs a major overhaul! At what stage will we stop relying on Dua's and prayers and actually start to rely on hard work, professionalism and (dare I say it) Talent.

Pakistan batting was okay in this world cup. But their bowling is horrendous. If they don't reach semis it will be mostly due to their bowling.

This should be the end of Pakistan's chances in this WC. Fakhar Zaman's form came a bit too late.

Hopefully England humiliate babar and his friends. It should be the end of babar's captaincy.

It's just fascinating how can so poor iq wise can be made captain for not a single format but three formats.
Stupidity of highest level.

Pakistan batting was okay in this world cup. But their bowling is horrendous. If they don't reach semis it will be mostly due to their bowling.
I hope this brings Afridi and Rauf back down to earth, specially Shaheen who was hyped unnecessarily to the moon only to do jack all when it mattered the most.

Shaheen and Babar routinely go missing in tournaments, then pick up cheap wickets or score soft runs to keep their ‘status’. Seen it too many times now, its nauseating.

So it seems like the biggest battle for Pakistan now is to win the toss first and foremost and bat first as they practically have no chance to make it now if they bat second.

It would be interesting to see now what England does. After winning the toss, if they invite Pakistan to bat first, I would really really appreciate this gesture as an act of sportsmanship

So to win the WC, India needs to win against NZ and most probably AUS. The two most bogey teams for India in world cups

Afridi was probably carrying an injury. Rauf has been useless. Spinners were atrocious. Wasim Jr ccan hold his head high. In hindsight he should have played from the beginning instead of Rauf

How about assigning the blame to Babar? Did he ever lead by example in this tournament? His captaincy in the field? It was his decision to stick to the same Asia Cup squad even though Hafeez, Misbah implored with him to take proper spinners to India over Shadab, Nawaz. He needs to be held accountable.

An incredible bowling performance followed by an 86-run opening stand built the base for New Zealand's important victory over Sri Lanka in Bengaluru in the 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup.

If the build-up to the clash was about the weather, it soon didn't matter as much as the New Zealand quicks ran amok in Bengaluru.

Kusal Perera stood out as the lone warrior in the Powerplay for Sri Lanka even as four of his mates perished in quick succession to some quality bowling from the Kiwis' new-ball bowlers.

Sri Lanka's hopes of Perera salvaging them from the ruckus fell in the Powerplay itself when Lockie Ferguson snared him with the left-hander attempting a big hit over the off-side.

Reduced to 70/5, Sri Lanka needed the experience of Angelo Mathews and Dhananjaya de Silva to save them, but Mitchell Santner stepped in, sending back the duo in successive overs to put the Blackcaps well and truly on top. They eventually ambled along to 171, but New Zealand's rousing start with the bat all but sealed the contest.

Devon Conway and Rachin Ravindra were determined to make light work of Sri Lanka's attack and the first threat awaiting them was left-arm seamer Dilshan Madushanka, who had proved to be a menace in the Powerplay overs this tournament.

Conway survived a close caught-behind shout against Madushanka, but soon launched a scathing attack on him, one that saw the pacer go for seven boundaries against the New Zealand left-hander.

Conway negating Madushanka and Ravindra tackling the spinners with authority meant that Sri Lanka had no opening to exploit. 73 runs came in the first 10 overs, pacing the way for the Black Caps to chase down the target with ease.

The breakthrough came when Dushmantha Chameera had Conway caught at mid-wicket for 45 in a maiden-wicket over. Maheesh Theekshana sent back Ravindra next over as Sri Lanka finally found a way into the deep New Zealand middle-order.

But Dary Mitchell struck back by smashing Chameera for a six and a four next over and then reverse-swept and slogged Theekshana to reveal more of his intent.

Mathews gave Sri Lanka a whisker of hope when he cleaned up Williamson in the 19th over to leave New Zealand at 130/3, but with less than fifty runs needed to ace the target, the fightback seemed too late.

Things took a further turn as New Zealand lost Mark Chapman after a miscommunication with Mitchell. Mathews then got the big wicket of Mitchell himself as New Zealand lost their top five. But by then, New Zealand were only ten runs away from a win that could well ensure their semi-final spot.

Glenn Phillips hit back-to-back boundaries to seal the deal as New Zealand made their position in the top four of the points table more secure. Only a huge win for Pakistan or Afghanistan in their respective final clashes will see them miss out on a knockout spot.

Earlier, New Zealand made one change to the team that lost against Pakistan at M. Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru, with Ish Sodhi making way for Lockie Ferguson. Sri Lanka made a change of their own as Chamika Karunaratne replaced Kasun Rajitha.

Tim Southee struck early, sending back Pathum Nissanka a ball after he was dropped.

Perera was in the mood to go after the New Zealand attack and judiciously freed his arms despite the ball moving around. Fortune favoured him as Sri Lanka got off to a flier, making 30 runs in the first four overs.

Even when Boult sent back Kusal Mendis and Sadeera Samarawickrama in the fifth over, Perera didn't stop hammering the attack. He blasted Southee for four boundaries in an over and then added two more off Boult next over.

The fifty came up of a mere 22 balls, making it the fastest fifty by any player against New Zealand in the men's Cricket World Cup.

Boult, meanwhile, continued to cause mayhem at the other end, sending back the centurion from the previous game, Charith Asalanka, for eight.

With Perera dismissed next over, Sri Lanka's hopes fell flat and Santner's double strike in quick succession firmly put the nail on Sri Lanka's innings.

However, if that raised hopes for an early finish to Sri Lanka's innings, it was put to an end by Maheesh Theekshana and Dilshan Madushanka, combining in a resistant tenth-wicket partnership to push Sri Lanka to a respectable total.

Theekshana, who has faced more than 20 balls in four of his six knocks at the 2023 World Cup, looked composed and determined again and he found an able company in Madushanka. The duo joined hands in the 33rd over and ensured the team batted till the 47th over, stitching together 43 valuable runs.

It didn't change things too much with New Zealand chasing down the target with five wickets to spare.

The stakes could barely be higher for New Zealand as they take on Sri Lanka needing a victory to significantly boost their hopes of securing a place in the knockout stages of the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2023.

New Zealand almost had one foot in the semi-finals when starting their campaign with four consecutive triumphs, but have since lost as many on the trot to now be equal with Pakistan and Afghanistan on eight points as each side has one group stage match left to play.

Kane Williamson's side enters the encounter with Sri Lanka sitting in the critical fourth spot due to holding an advantage of a superior net run rate compared to both of the other semi-final hopefuls.

But as the first of the trio to wrap up their group stage matches, the Black Caps will want to lift their net rate rate as high as possible and ideally out of reach of the chasers which will each start their remaining match knowing what they need to do to snatch fourth spot.

New Zealand can still hold out hope of progressing even if they lose to Sri Lanka, or if conditions force a no result to come into play, but will then be relying on both Pakistan and Afghanistan to end the group stage efforts without another win.

Sri Lanka also have plenty to play for despite sitting in ninth place in the Cricket World Cup standings and falling well short of semi-finals contention.

The 1996 champions will be focused on clinching a victory over New Zealand to perhaps give them a top-eight finish that would lock in a spot at the ICC Champions Trophy in 2025.

Source: ICC

So it seems like the biggest battle for Pakistan now is to win the toss first and foremost and bat first as they practically have no chance to make it now if they bat second.

It would be interesting to see now what England does. After winning the toss, if they invite Pakistan to bat first, I would really really appreciate this gesture as an act of sportsmanship
If Pakistan can score like 500 batting first, then they can shut out England in 15 overs. Fakhar will score double century in 50 balls. Babar and Rizwan to score century in 30 balls each.

So to win the WC, India needs to win against NZ and most probably AUS. The two most bogey teams for India in world cups

To be honest, a South Africa special is quite overdue. I'm backing them to reach the final.

If Pakistan can score like 500 batting first, then they can shut out England in 15 overs. Fakhar will score double century in 50 balls. Babar and Rizwan to score century in 30 balls each.
What is this Stick Cricket Mobile App.. Babar century in 30 balls lol.

Just giving some hopium to diehard Pakistan fans.
sure sure. I get that.
But Pakistan is out for all intents and purposes. Hopefully they get to taste all sorts of Biriyani and other delicacies before leaving India. Pakistani team should eat to there hearts content before leaving India, as most of the players will not be coming to India again.

To be honest, a South Africa special is quite overdue. I'm backing them to reach the final.
If they bat first, it will be a cracker of a semi final. I'm looking forward to that too

What does an Indian know about fast bowling.India is a factory of trundlers. They can never match Pakistan in terms of speed.
We had fast bowlers like srinath, zaheer leading the attack at one point of time, and we had pretty normal bowlers as well but after years now we have good fast bowlers, bumrah, shami, siraj everyone bowls well over 140s bumrah even touched 150, we have prasidh, Umesh only plays test I think umran Malik, kartik tyagi these 2 bowls late 145s to 150s, pakistan cricket has been spoiled by this obsession with fast bowling, last match against NZ is a example that world cup is played in India where spin is a important factor but Pakistan plays 4 fast bowlers, infact now we have better fast bowlers than Pakistan for the first time, pakistan will never be back to the top teams category if they don't stop this obsession with fast bowling, you need good batsman, spinners also win a game, a nation famous for having spin bowlers like saqlain, Abdul Qadir, ajmal now where is the next legendary spinner in Pakistan?, your fast bowling obsession already spoiled one important department of spin bowling in Pakistan, when will your management learn.

England is going to be prepared for Pakistan trying to hit out from Ball One. They will adjust their lengths and fields accordingly.

Trent Boult's post-match press conference

[Reporter:]

"Well played today, saved your best for the last and produced a near perfect performance."

[Trent Boult:]

"Yeah, satisfied to obviously get the win, get two very crucial points. I thought with the ball we were put under a bit of pressure, but we stuck to the plans we put in place and it's nice to be on the right side of it."

"Just with the bowling, the last four games the bowling group has come under a bit of pressure with regards to big totals being scored, but the way you all responded today was quite brilliant and pretty much everybody putting their hand up when it mattered."

"Yeah, we seem to have a lot of meetings and discussions about what will be successful or what will be tricky to hit. But yeah, just speaking on this game specifically, clinical, and nice to get the result."

"It's not yet set in stone, but it looks like a repeat of the 2019 semi-final. If there's one team India don't like facing in knockouts, it's the Black Caps your thoughts on that game coming up?"

"I can't speak on what they're thinking but from our point of view to play World Cup in India and to come up against the host nation a team that's red hot playing good cricket at a great ground - you couldn't script it any better. So excited if that happens, I feel like we've done all we can from our point of view and yeah, we'll just wait and see what happens."

"Last one for me safe to say you'll be cheering on England in their next game?"

"Personally?"

"You must have seen a lot of Dilshan Madhushanka as a left arm seamer and you being a very experienced left armer, any word on the young kid?"

"Yeah, followed him throughout this tournament Yeah, exceptional talent good skills Yeah, he's obviously got the toolbox to adapt in these conditions and that's probably the key to success over here is being able to read the wicket and use your skills accordingly and I think he's done that phenomenally throughout the World Cup so far and that's the reason why he's at the top of the wicket tally so it's been good to watch."

"Trent, you're likely to face India in the semi-finals. Having played them before, what are the takeaways from Dharamshala and do you think New Zealand playing at Wankhede helps New Zealand in some ways?"

"Yeah, played India a lot of times. Quality players, know these conditions very well. Yeah, hard to comment on what the conditions will be at Wankhede, but you know, history suggests it's a good wicket and, yeah, nice to have come up against them in Dharamshala. Totally different ground and different facilities, but, yeah, we'll turn our focus to that challenge. Very, very good players, but pressure does things to the best of players at any time. So just look forward to taking that on."

"The power play kind of period, you managed to get quite a few wickets, which hasn't necessarily been the case right through the campaign for New Zealand. We're used to seeing New Zealand do better in that stage than they have at times as World Cup. What was different today, conditions wise and just for you and for the bowling group, the wider bowling group in that period?"

"Yeah, personally I like to see the ball swinging around and moving in the air. To be honest, it hasn't really done that much throughout this World Cup. And it almost took me back to my younger days when you're playing ODI cricket for the first time, the first question you have to ask yourself is, do you keep trying to swing the ball or go to plan B as quick as you can and might have been a little bit quicker on that this afternoon here with a couple of wickets in the power play. But yeah, conditions change right throughout the country and it's always the hardest thing to read the wicket and what's going to happen. And some days we've come up against some good batters, some positive stroke play and it's just been how it is."

"Just a few days ago, it seemed like a different wicket. What was so different between bowling to Pakistan and today?"

"It did feel like a different weekend, to be honest. It was a touch slower today. I think Mitchell Santner bowl 10 overs for 15 runs or something like that. Yeah, proved that it was a pretty tricky surface. But yeah, the difference with the other night was we came across a Pakistan side that were in a hurry really. It was an interesting game but we parked that, learned from it and I thought we put those learnings in place quite nicely this afternoon."

"Just an extension of one of the previous questions, like the prospect of facing India at Wankhede and at that ground the new ball has done a bit and the counterattacking cricket Indian batters are playing against the new ball. Do you think that will give you a chance as well, the counter-attacking approach of the Indian team?"

"Yeah, as I said earlier, very good players. They're playing a positive style of cricket and yeah, I suppose playing shots does present chances - but yeah, we're going to be very clear with how we're going to tackle that that game if it happens still has to be ticked off but yeah, I think there'll be a lot of excitement and the prospect of that challenge and like I said it doesn't get any bigger than taking on India in front of 1.5 billion people. Yeah, it's very exciting."

"If New Zealand qualifies, according to the last few results, it will be the fifth consecutive semi-final for New Zealand. How pleased are you all as a playing group coming into this fifth semi-final?"

"Yeah, I think our brand of ODI cricket has put us in good stead to be honest. We're a team that don't get too far ahead of ourselves. We quickly reflect, review the games, and move on and try to challenge ourselves as best as possible. And I think in World Cup cricket, when it comes down to must-win games, we've got a lot of experience in the squad and I thought we used that nicely over the last few games and yes, we have lost a few in a row there against the top of the table kind of oppositions but yeah, very pleasing to put in the performance here we did and a must-win game for us."

"2015 World Cup you had a good campaign, I mean individually had a good campaign, 2019 good campaign, 2020 so you have reached the 50 landmark, you've become the first Kiwi person also to achieve it - your thoughts on that."

"Very proud, not something that I was ever targeting, but yeah, everyone loves World Cup cricket. Everyone wants to play against the best players and test their game out. Yeah, I've been very fortunate to have three campaigns in the ODI shares and, yeah, nice to be contributing. I've enjoyed playing with all the guys here. I've got very good friends in the team and, you know, we really help each other out. So nice to bring up 50 this afternoon and yeah, hopefully a few more."

Sri Lanka Head Coach Chris Silverwood post-match press conference

"Nine games, seven losses for Sri Lanka. Do you think inconsistency and lack of skill is one of the two of the main reasons for Sri Lanka's disastrous campaign?"

[Chris Silverwood:]

"I think inconsistency. I think it would be fair to use that word. I think we've played some good cricket along the way, and I think we'll look back on certain games and rue missed opportunities, to be honest. There has been certain games during this campaign that if we'd have taken the opportunities that were put our way, this could have looked a lot different. But the fact is that we have been inconsistent and it's something that we've been working on for a long time and something we need to continue working on. So, yeah, I think inconsistent is a word we can use."

"Batting again has been collapsing for a long time now. What do you think happened today? The conditions were really good and the ball is coming through nicely. What do you think happened today, especially?"

"Listen, it's a tough one. As you say, it’s happened a couple of times now, a few times. And it's something that certainly during the debrief, when we get back and when we dissect what's happened in this tournament, it's something that we have to look at and we have to find some answers because clearly, we need to start putting runs on the board on good wickets and putting other teams under pressure. And we haven't done that."

"Batting and bowling obviously are reactive skills, but how frustrating is it that the catches that have gone down, the number of catches that have gone down throughout the tournament?"

"Yeah, it's frustrating because I mean certain catches that we've put down during this tournament have cost us heavily. It's again something that we're constantly working on. Our fielding coach is constantly working on that and trying to obviously push the standards higher. But clearly there's still work to be done as well. I mean, we are getting ourselves in positions where there's more catches coming our way. We've been brave and going for half chances more, but clearly, we have to start hanging on to these if we want to start turning games in our favour."

"What can Sri Lanka draw from this tournament? Besides the struggles, obviously the Champions Trophy place is also a bit of doubt there. What is there to look forward to in terms of, you know, improving?"

"I think there's always something to look forward to. I think what we have to do now is, obviously, let the emotions settle a little bit. And then, as I said earlier, have a good debrief, dissect what's happened and have a look at what we can learn from this and what we can take into the next phase, the next chapter leading into the next World Cup, and how do we put things right that we got wrong this time. What do we need to put in place at home. What structure do we need to put in place and just really plan a proper plan leading to the next cycle to make sure that when we arrive at that cycle, we have everybody on the path, we have everybody available and we can put our best foot forward."

"It wasn't that long ago that Sri Lanka was consistently getting into semifinals and finals in major global tournaments. Obviously, that's a few years ago. And it's kind of been said by quite a few people, and I suspect it will be said again after this campaign, that perhaps Sri Lanka is on a terminal decline, I know that you haven't been around for that long, but there's also, you know, there's been news from home about changes in administration and a little bit of chaos there. What does it feel like to you on the inside? I guess like people saying that Sri Lanka cricket has been heading downhill for a while."

"Well, I mean, obviously this campaign has been disappointing for us, but if we look at previous campaigns before that, I've been involved in, certainly the win percentage has gone up. When it comes to obviously what's happening back home at the moment, being an outsider, the politics of Sri Lanka is not really my business, So I will respectfully decline to go into those areas. I think what we've tried to do here is try and keep a camp together, keep focused on what we've been trying to do and obviously try and win here. That's the best we can do."

"How much pressure that this campaign has put on you and the rest of the coaching staff?"

"Every big campaign comes with its pressure, doesn't it? What you have to do is try and plan best you can, try and prepare the players the best you can. And other than that, there's not a lot else you can do. So that's what we've done. We've tried to stick to the process. We have a good game plan in place that has worked for us in various campaigns. And we've got to keep believing, really. Again, during practice sessions here, we've done the best we can to prepare. But unfortunately, that inconsistency has followed us onto the field. We've had results that at times could have gone our way had we taken the opportunities. So, there's pressure in every campaign. There's not a lot you can do about that."

"Now with the T20 World Cup scheduled next year, you said about having a plan for the next 50-over World Cup, which is in four years' time. So, and it was mentioned earlier as well, before, in the meantime, preparing for this 2020 World Cup, we had two T20 World Cups in between. So, you had to prepare for that as well. So now when you plan for a four-year period for a 50-over World Cup, having a T20 World Cup in the middle, how does it affect the planning of a 50-over World Cup?"

"I don't think it does. I think you constantly have to plan for both because there's two forms of cricket, your T20 and your 50 overs are going to be there anyway. So, there's a long-term plan, obviously, over four years to make sure we arrive in the next World Cup in the best possible position we could be. But at the same time, you have to plan for the T20 World Cup as well. And the one thing we have got and what we have done is show we are very capable of competing in T20 cricket. So again, we have to make sure we plan properly and prepare properly. So, we have got our best players available to us come that time. And that's the key thing for us, is to make sure that our best players are available come the start of that competition and that the best players are informed."

"From your point of view, what are the best positives Sri Lanka can take back home?"

"Yeah, as I said earlier, I think we have to let the emotions settle at the moment. But I think what we have to do is, as I explained before, is we have to dissect this. We have to have a very good debrief and dig deep into what has worked and what hasn't worked and then try and plan that way forward obviously for the next cycle. And I think they're the positives that we need to take from this now, is how do we best prepare the boys and the generations that are coming through to actually compete in the next World Cup and make sure that come that World Cup that we are competing and we're ready. And as I say, we have all our best players available."

Last edited by a moderator:
But you shouldn’t lose 3 games in a row either when you are one win away

NZ are equally to blame if they are robbed here

Who lets SA bat first?
It would have been a different ball game today if Pakistan could get the chance to play and win their last game against England before this Sri Lanka vs New Zealand game. New Zealand would have choked.
But you shouldn’t lose 3 games in a row either when you are one win away

NZ are equally to blame if they are robbed here

Who lets SA bat firs

New Zealand never loses these kinds of matches - I’ve never seen a team with such consistency across formats. They always make the knockout rounds and perform well.

Last time India faced New Zealand in the Semi-Final in 2019, Henry, Boult, and Santner ran through the Indian batting lineup. No Matt Henry this time - one of those most underrated bowlers - but maybe Southee can fill that role. One thing is for sure, New Zealand never fears India. They’re used to crushing them in knockout rounds and bullied them in the World Test Championship as well.

@Aman, are you regaining faith? I must say there was a period when they lost the 4 games in a row that New Zealand looked weak but this lineup seems stacked and if it wasn’t for Matt Henry missing I would have them as favorites to win it all. Also, has there been any updates on Neesham? I can’t find any.

Back