ICC World Cup 2023: Australia (307/2) defeat Bangladesh (306/8) by 8 wickets

All over.

Australia win by 8 wickets.

Bangladesh are good for CT 2025 qualification now, unless Netherlands beat India or get a point due to washout. They finish ahead of SL in this World Cup.

Ever dangerous Aussies with 7 consecutive wins after a tough start.

Chased down 2 good totals as well.

Good reality check for Bangladesh, very good from the ICC point because if their is no competition for places for champions trophy teams like Bangladesh gets a free ride, off playing more than 35 years in international cricket still they haven't one any meaningful icc or Asian cup, but their fans behave like former world champions, this world cup has shown what they really are.

Marsh’s efforts, along with a half-century from David Warner and good support from Steve Smith saw them make easy work of a demanding chase, sending Australia towards the semi-finals full of confidence.

Match 43: Australia beat Bangladesh by eight wickets

Australia lost a wicket early on in the chase when Travis Head played on while trying to take on Taskin Ahmed. The ball took an inside edge and then kissed his stumps before rolling back to the keeper.

However, the arrival of Mitchell Marsh lifted Australia. Dealing primarily in boundaries, the all-rounder ensured Australia went ahead closer to seven runs an over.

The arrival of Bangladesh spinners temporarily slowed down the scoring rate, with David Warner taking his time to get going as runs flowed at the other end.

Marsh brought up his half-century off just 37 balls. And Warner followed to his own 50 off 52 balls, kicking on after getting his eye in against the spinners.

Australia's dominant start to their chase hit a bump when Warner, who had begun to get bogged down, clipped a catch to Najmul Hossain Shanto off Mustafizur Rahman for 53 from 61.

But, with Marsh still out in the middle and playing beautifully, Australia were still well-placed in their search for 307 to win.

And the powerful number three kicked on in style. Supported by the returning Smith, Marsh muscled his way to an outstanding knock of 177 from just 132 balls, smashing nine sixes in his phenomenal innings.

Smith finished not out on 63* from 64 balls, as Australia reached the winning post with 32 balls to spare and sending a message to their semi-final opponents.

Pat Cummins won the toss and opted to bowl first in Pune, before confirming that match-winning hero Glenn Maxwell had been handed a well-earned rest to get himself back into peak condition for the knockout stages.

Mitchell Starc was also absent from the XI, with Steve Smith and Sean Abbott coming into the team.

A classy half-century from Tawhid Hridoy helped Bangladesh amass 306/8 against Australia which might have been much more but for Marnus Labuschagne's impact in the field.

Bangladesh's top five batters each made at least 30 but only Hridoy (74) could turn a start into a fifty as Australia were able to make the most of some outstanding fielding to prevent their opponents from taking command.

Labuschagne had a direct hand in four of Australia's dismissals including the stunning run outs of Najmul Hossain Shanto and Mahmudullah Riyad that broke up a pair of ominous stands.

Stand-in skipper Shanto (45) was the first to test Labuschagne's arm when looking for a second run but fell agonisingly short despite a last-gasp dive.

In-form veteran Mahmudullah (32) was caught out of his crease soon after when attempting a quick single as Labuschagne swooped on the ball and threw down the stumps in one action that included a dive.

Bangladesh were still able to amass a strong total with Hridoy the top scorer and useful contributions throughout the batting group that was sent in to bat after Australia captain Pat Cummins won the toss and elected to field first in Pune.

Australia pacer Sean Abbott (2/61) claimed a wicket in his Cricket World Cup debut to end the first budding partnership between Bangladesh openers Tanzid Hasan and Litton Das.

The Bangladesh opening pair settled quickly and reached 62/0 at the end of 10 overs, while Australia failed to take a wicket in the first Powerplay for the fourth time in nine matches.

Abbott struck soon after with a sharp caught and bowled to dismiss Hasan for 36 from 34 balls when Bangladesh were on 76.

Adam Zampa (2/32) then put Bangladesh on the ropes when Das (36) chipped straight to Labuschagne and lifted the Australia leg-spinner to equal-first for the most wickets at the tournament thus far.

Shanto then joined forces with Hridoy to guide Bangladesh to 161/2 at the halfway mark of the innings and leave the match evenly poised.

After Labuschagne struck twice to run out Shanto and Mahmudullah, Mushfiqur Rahim (21) looked solid until caught trying to lift the run rate as Zampa claimed outright first place for the most wickets at the Cricket World Cup thus far.

Bangladesh were able to pass 300 and push toward their highest total of the tournament while Australia picked up regular wickets at the death to ensure it was a target they would still be confident of reaching.

Source: ICC

Well. Got the job done. Lost close not as badly. Ensured the ct spot.

Didn’t expect them to beat aus anyway. Havent beaten aus in odi since 2005. Unless they invite aus to a slow low and some spin mirpur wicket like 2012. no way they’ll beat aus in neutral good wicket ground.

Good reality check for Bangladesh, very good from the ICC point because if their is no competition for places for champions trophy teams like Bangladesh gets a free ride, off playing more than 35 years in international cricket still they haven't one any meaningful icc or Asian cup, but their fans behave like former world champions, this world cup has shown what they really are.
Mate, BD still qualified for Champions trophy. Top 8 gets CT. Job done here didn’t get mauled like your lankan brothers did against NZ

This coach needs to be sacked asap. He has degraded BD cricket, taken back BD to 2014. Don’t wanna see any sri lankan coaches again, get rid of Herath too, has not don anything decent with the spinners Nasum is pure garbage on any decent team wicket for batting. All of them too wayward.

Under Domingo BD was full of confidence, playing decent cricket, always played 3 min pacers, finished 3rd in the icc world cup super league.

Sensational stuff from Australia everyday somebody steps up to take the main role, Àustralia are favourites to win the WC

Can Bangladesh please be banned from participating?

They are a horrible horrible side, have made zero meaningful progress since they got the test status, be in ODI or test matches.

I much rather have Sri Lankans than these boring, lackluster, zero talent, inspiration less Bangladeshis'

Australia peaking at the right time, good chance they may win their second ODI WC in the sub continent.

Can Bangladesh please be banned from participating?

They are a horrible horrible side, have made zero meaningful progress since they got the test status, be in ODI or test matches.

I much rather have Sri Lankans than these boring, lackluster, zero talent, inspiration less Bangladeshis'

Haha!

The hate is astonishing.

BD finished ahead of SL in this World Cup.

Heard top 7 in this world cup plus the host pakistan total 8 teams play in champions trophy.

That is correct.

Unless Netherlands beat India or there is a rainout, the 8 participants of CT 2025 are --> Pakistan (host), India, Bangladesh, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Afghanistan, and England.

Ever dangerous Aussies with 7 consecutive wins after a tough start.

Chased down 2 good totals as well.

They are always dangerous even with their "weak" teams.

I remember they came to India with a depleted side and won the ODI series 2-1 (Ashton Turner was the star).

They are always dangerous even with their "weak" teams.

I remember they came to India with a depleted side and won the ODI series 2-1 (Ashton Turner was the star).
And then crashed Pakistan 5-0 in the UAE with an even weaker team

I don’t think, we have qualified yet - mathematically NED can beat India and earn 6 points or a washout and they’ll end with 5 points. But yes, business as usual, boys are going for another party.

Bangladesh are unlikely to win CT 2025 just like India.

Fully expect India to botch 2023 WC, 2024 World T20, and 2025 CT. Too much focus on IPL.
Your team hasn't won a single Asia cup, calm down. Bangladesh will always be a pathetic, 3rd rate cricketing nation. No talent and no mentality.

Your team hasn't won a single Asia cup, calm down. Bangladesh will always be a pathetic, 3rd rate cricketing nation. No talent and no mentality.

My team? I do not play for Bangladesh.

Whether Bangladesh win 100 World Cups or lose 1000 games have no impact on my life. I am just a cricket fan.

I agree with you that Bangladesh is a bad team. Then again, it is a small country with limited resources and with far bigger issues than cricket.

Whether Bangladesh win 100 World Cups or lose 1000 games have no impact on my life. I am just a cricket fan.

I agree with you that Bangladesh is a bad team. Then again, it is a small country with limited resources and with far bigger issues than cricket.
Bangladesh has the 5th richest cricket Board in the world, richer than South Africa and new Zealand and has the 8th highest population in the world and a rapidly growing economy. These excuses don't really hold a lot of water

Bangladesh has the 5th richest cricket Board in the world, richer than South Africa and new Zealand and has the 8th highest population in the world and a rapidly growing economy. These excuses don't really hold a lot of water

5th richest? That's because South Africa and New Zealand don't care much about cricket and generally have low budgets for cricket. Cricket in general is an unprofitable sport.

170-million people crammed into a landmass of 148,460 km². Entire country has like 3 international quality stadiums.

The "rapidly growing economy" was always a mirage. Rich got rich and poor remained poor. Do keep up with the news.

Breaks my heart to see Bangali fans dissociate themselves like this from the team representing their country. I understand it's an effective coping mechanism but just so unbearably sad nonetheless.

Breaks my heart to see Bangali fans dissociate themselves like this from the team representing their country. I understand it's an effective coping mechanism but just so unbearably sad nonetheless.

Breaks your heart? Why? LOL.

I was never a nationalist. I have mentioned that many times.

It was a good batting effort from BD.

Reaching 300+ against Aussies was a good performance. Could've scored a bit more considering the position they were in at one point.

Breaks your heart? Why? LOL.

I was never a nationalist. I have mentioned that many times.

Best wishes to you. Best wishes also to the BD team to raise their performance soon so that their fans don't shy away from associating themselves from the team.

Best wishes to you. Best wishes also to the BD team to raise their performance soon so that their fans don't shy away from associating themselves from the team.

Thank you.

All the best to you also.

Again, nobody is shying away.

Back