Azam Khan versus Sarfaraz Khan - Who’s the better player?

Nikhil_cric

Senior Test Player
Runs
Who do you think will have the better international career.

I know many dislike Azam Khan for his fitness.

But after having watched the World Cup and seeing how powerless PAK batsmen are to hit big, I think Hafeez was right in investing in Azam Khan.

You need a real big man to bully bowlers which timid weak batsmen like current PAK batsmen are incapable of doing.

So, who will likely have the better Int'l career? Discuss.

But after having watched the World Cup and seeing how powerless PAK batsmen are to hit big, I think Hafeez was right in investing in Azam Khan.

You need a real big man to bully bowlers which timid weak batsmen like current PAK batsmen are incapable of doing.

I don't mean to be rude, but brother, every sentence that you wrote made me laugh so much. Like bro "You need a real big man to Bully bowlers" .

Azam khan aint bullying anyone, besides fakhar zaman, who on his day can turn entire opposition sides into a joke, and even then on his day aka maybe once or 2x in a calendar year, no one else in Pakistan can do it.

Plus as much as I have problems with rizzu, he's 100× superior then azam Khan will ever be in international in both avg and sr.

I don't mean to be rude, but brother, every sentence that you wrote made me laugh so much. Like bro "You need a real big man to Bully bowlers" .

Azam khan aint bullying anyone, besides fakhar zaman, who on his day can turn entire opposition sides into a joke, and even then on his day aka maybe once or 2x in a calendar year, no one else in Pakistan can do it.

Plus as much as I have problems with rizzu, he's 100× superior then azam Khan will ever be in international in both avg and sr.
Rizzy should stick to longer formats imo. Azam Khan can use that belly to hit sixes like Rohit Sharma

And he can do that as a lower order finisher!

Just checked their pics, Azam Khan is much fatter, his BMI must be touching 40, I worry for his heart.

Azam Khan has more potential
Plus his father is a Pakistan great, so has lineage as well. This goes a long way in Pakistan, he will therefore get many more chances unlike his Indian lookalike. Sarfaraz will get a very small window of opportunity to prove himself, if he fails the will get discarded to oblivion. Although Sarfaraz has an advantage, being approx. 30 kgs lighter can just about manage to play all three formats. Azam at 120-130kgs will find it physically impossible to play the 5 day format and might struggle in the 50 over cricket as well. But like I mentioned Azam has lineage, he's assured multiple opportunities to prove himself in International T20s.

Anyone that thinks both are comparable is out of their mind. Look at Sarfraz's first class average. Azam will never play the same number of FC matches, Sarfraz has already played.

Azam is already sold out to t20 leagues. Sarfraz is thrice the batsman Azam will ever be.

But if we talk about international cricket, Azam will probably play more international matches only because of how pathetic Pakistan is and how great India is.

Just checked their pics, Azam Khan is much fatter, his BMI must be touching 40, I worry for his heart.
He will only play T20s so there's less of a health risk. Bat 7-10 overs, stand behind the stump for 20 overs. This way there's less stress on his heart, joints etc.... Azam can only play T20s.

Sarfaraz is in a completely different league. He is miles better than any young Pakistani batsman.

This is as bad a comparison as Saim vs Jaiswal. One can understand Pakistani fans forcing such comparisons but Indian fans shouldn’t be trolling Pakistani fans like this.

Sarfaraz is in a completely different league. He is miles better than any young Pakistani batsman.

This is as bad a comparison as Saim vs Jaiswal. One can understand Pakistani fans forcing such comparisons but Indian fans shouldn’t be trolling Pakistani fans like this.
yea Purely because they are over-sized players cannot be compared. Sarfraz is a terrific first class performer. Can't say the sameabout Azam.

Sarfaraz is overweight not obese like Azam.

But Azam being a Pakistani, naturally, has more talent but Sarfaraz will be much more successful international player.

There is no point in comparing these two. Sarfaraz Khan is a genuine Test cricketer, and Azam Khan is just a club cricketer to entertain the crowd

Another pathetic comparison. Forget about International cricket, just check their domestic, look at Sarfaraz FC record.
Azam Khan is a low level league basher nothing more.

Why is sarfaraz over weight. Is he a wicket keeper

Biriyani lover. That's it. His younger brother looks fitter though. Already making news right after under-19 world cup. Made a double hundred in first class

Why are Indians trolling us with this comparison?

I know the Saim vs Jaiswal thread is dumb but show some mercy on us please Indians.

Why are Indians trolling us with this comparison?

I know the Saim vs Jaiswal thread is dumb but show some mercy on us please Indians.
Actually i was surprised this thread didn't exist even before Sarfraz making debut due to controversional non-selection because of their weight. There is no other explanation why Sarfraz was ignored for far too long when India handed out cap to Surya kumar, Patidar before him. Even now India had to miss to many players for him to make debut. Weight played a role in his omission until now

well obviously azam khan is way ahead than sarfaraz specially in white ball cricket but i will give a bit of edge to sarfaraz if it comes to Test cricket as sarafaraz has better temperament.

well obviously azam khan is way ahead than sarfaraz specially in white ball cricket but i will give a bit of edge to sarfaraz if it comes to Test cricket as sarafaraz has better temperament.
A player with an average of 4.95 at a strike rate of 90 in T20 internationals is way ahead of nobody.

I can not tell whether or not this thread is trolling.

Sarfraz Khan has nearly a 70 average across almost 50 FC matches. On the other hand Azam Khan smashes bowlers in league cricket and does nothing in FC or international cricket.

Ridiculous , how can you compare to a player with long record of outstanding performance in under 19 then in FC and now has established himself as a test middle order batter with a low level player who played some good t20 inning but failed badly at international level and hardly played any FC matches. One is obese and getting worst and other a bit over wt but fit.

Sarfaraz has first-class experiences and performances to back his selection and can replace any player any day. On the other hand, Azam got into the team because Pakistan had no other power hitter to play instead where he failed as well and has no first-class performance, just a few t20 league games. Will choose sarfaraz any day over Azam Khan.

Sarfaraz will get exposed outside Asia. Azam has superior technique, he has scored runs in leagues across the world. So there's high probability of Azam becoming a better test batter.

Sarfaraz Khan is a better batsman and Azam Khan is a better hitter.

Sarfaraz has the potential to be an all-format player, he has already made his mark in test format but Azam will never find spot in the test team. He is just not fit for that foramt.

Sarfaraz has the potential to be an all-format player, he has already made his mark in test format but Azam will never find spot in the test team. He is just not fit for that foramt.
He isn't fit in any format. He's a franchise player who can only hit the weakest bowlers and provide some entertainment.

Despite playing on Multan pitches, any decent bowler just gets him out easily, just look at the last game Islamabad played and what azam Khan did when he's faced with a decent bowler who can bowl into the stumps.

He isn't fit in any format. He's a franchise player who can only hit the weakest bowlers and provide some entertainment.

Despite playing on Multan pitches, any decent bowler just gets him out easily, just look at the last game Islamabad played and what azam Khan did when he's faced with a decent bowler who can bowl into the stumps.
From little i have seen he doesn't have a great deal of feet movement. Sarfraz khan hails from Mumbai batting school. He is a pedigree batsman. Definitely his fitness can be an issue. His brother Musheer khan is already making waves in Ranji. He can bowl too. Soon his brother will compete with Sarfraz.

There are rumours floating about that Azam's form this season has been on-off because of intermittent fasting as part of maintaining a healthier lifestyle. The PSL games are scheduled during his 4 hour fasting window.

As per unnamed sources, Moin khan is in talks with Mohsin Naqvi to see if the match timings can be changed so that it's outside his son's four hour fasting window. It can be tough to hit big sixes when the body is undergoing ketosis.

I hope PCB sees sense and makes necessary adjustments as per Moin's demands. Their poor planning means the nation is unable to witness the true potential of a future batting great.

There are rumours floating about that Azam's form this season has been on-off because of intermittent fasting as part of maintaining a healthier lifestyle. The PSL games are scheduled during his 4 hour fasting window.

As per unnamed sources, Moin khan is in talks with Mohsin Naqvi to see if the match timings can be changed so that it's outside his son's four hour fasting window. It can be tough to hit big sixes when the body is undergoing ketosis.

I hope PCB sees sense and makes necessary adjustments as per Moin's demands. Their poor planning means the nation is unable to witness the true potential of a future batting great.
So the whole psl schedule should be changed just to accommodate a guy with an average below 10 in international simply because he's a future batting great according to some posters?

AlrightE

You gotta be joking right? LOL

What is next , who is better, Azam Khan or Bradman , some people have no knowledge of cricket but like to write down , whatever.

Just saw that Azam Khan has so far played 7 innings in T20 cricket. He averages 4.83 at an SR of 90.62 in those 7 innings. That's all about his career so far in international cricket.

Has played 27 innings in FC cricket and has an average of 28.42 there.

How do posters come up with such comparisons?

Stats and early international performance-wise, it's obvious Sarfaraz is way ahead but it's perfectly possible that neither of these players succeed at the international level.

I don't know a lot about Azam but it's almost impossible that a player with his fitness issues can play modern cricket. You can possibly carry a little extra weight but being so unfit is not sustainable.

Sarfaraz still gas question marks on his ability to play pace and bounce plus has some fitness issues of his own which are exacerbated because he plays in the outfield unlike Azam who keeps and thus has some shielding. Also the talent train in Indian batting is relentless and you need to show big innings quickly to secure your place. Perfectly good cricketers have fallen by the wayside - Hanuma Vihari, Karun Nair etc. The next big young talent is always coming around the corner.

Let's wait and judge.

Neither of these players will ever be international material however if sarfraz played for any other nation like Bangladesh or Afghanistan he'd atleast get selected their as frontline, its just too much competition in India with far better players and talent then his.

Azam Khan doesn't even qualify of any non associate nation, he'd have better luck trying out for usa cricket team.

Just saw that Azam Khan has so far played 7 innings in T20 cricket. He averages 4.83 at an SR of 90.62 in those 7 innings. That's all about his career so far in international cricket.

It's about talent and potential also. Azam is a brutal spin hitter and his game has improved against pace as well.

Sarfraz may have better domestic numbers but will he even play regularly for India ? Remains to be seen.

Sarfaraz was never a good batter neither a special talent. He just got selected for his leadership skills but never won any game for Pakistan with his batting.

On the other hand we have Azam Khan who is mighty talented and has the ability to win a game from any situation. All he needs to focus on his fitness. He is thousand times better than Sarfaraz.

No way this is an actual question right? Give me Sarfaraz Khan any format 100 times out of 100

I know bro. We are in a very very sorry state at the moment. There are folks really thinking Azam Khan has potential.

Sarfaraz was never a good batter neither a special talent. He just got selected for his leadership skills but never won any game for Pakistan with his batting.

On the other hand we have Azam Khan who is mighty talented and has the ability to win a game from any situation. All he needs to focus on his fitness. He is thousand times better than Sarfaraz.
you are just one step away from turning this thread into another Sarfaraz Ahmed vs Babar Azam battle

The thread is about Sarfaraz Khan from India not Taptaan Sarfaraz.

I think you misunderstood Sarfaraz, people are talking about. This is about Safaraz Khan (India) and Azam Khan. And by far, Sarfaraz is leading the comparison here. He has worked hard for his selection in 1 format while azam is nobody in internationals so far in another format. Comparison is not fair because they both are playing in different formats but talent wise, Sarfaraz is leading.

I think sarfaraz bro musheer khan will be a more potential prospect for India with his batting and left arm spin.Musheer played good knocks in the ranji knock outs when Mumbai needs it.One amazing thing is Mumbai lobby will promote/protect anyone in to Indian team irrespective of religion.

Sarfraz Khan in a genuine batter whereas Azam is a tullay baaz. There's no comparison

Requests to all posters. Khuda ka waasta! Please stop comparing Azam Khan to proper professional cricketers.

Terrific cameo at 300 strike rate by Azam Khan when nobody else could cross 176 SR.

Sheer impact ! T20 is all about impact !

The only sport Azam will be a better player in would be burger eating

Last edited by a moderator:
This mentality of let's give a player 50 games ans cement their place for decades after one good game despite failing multiple times needs to end.

Why do you guys do this 24/7?

- First it was shadab should be in the team because of his match winning innings Afghanistan in 2023, and hey remember when he bowled out Yuvraj 7 years ago?

- Then it was let's keep chacha in the team, remember when he bashed sa 2 years ago in 2022?

Now it's let's keep azam for 50 more games because he bashed Ireland?

Let me ask you guys this. Asif Ali played 2 great knocks, I fact both those knocks are match winning knocks against that led to 2 back to back wc victories. Somethings that > Azam's entire career atm.

So should we bring asif back and ignore all other context?

Azam is a terrible keeper, terrible runner. This dude will get exposed again when it comes down to the wire. You can't just win games by swinging your arms. Singles, doubles, and how to structure your innings are important.

Azam has performed around the world and has hit big daddy sixes in - UAE, Sri Lanka, North America, Pakistan, Bangladesh ,Ireland and the Caribbean.

Sarfraz hasn't even visited so many places on Google Earth never mind perform in those countries.

Haven't seen much of Sarfaraz but he must be special to be given an opportunity for the Indian test team. That is a high honor.

Azam Khan will make a name for himself in league-bashing, with or without Pakistan, as there are enough low-quality cricket opportunities in a calendar year. Azam's challenge is to make a name for himself in that green shirt, against International sides. If he does that, even if it's just T20I, he will have made the most out of his career.

Both players, on the current fitness ratio will only be good enough for a 4-6 year period as their bodies will not take anything more than that.

Azam has performed around the world and has hit big daddy sixes in - UAE, Sri Lanka, North America, Pakistan, Bangladesh ,Ireland and the Caribbean.

Sarfraz hasn't even visited so many places on Google Earth never mind perform in those countries.

I actually agree. Azam is one of a kind in Pakistan . Such easy power.

No doubt its Azam the current reigning and defending fatterweight champion.

Where do you even come up with this nonsense?

Sorry I should have added Karachi as a cricket nation to where Azam Khan hits sixes.

I forgot about that cricket nation as you term it.
Sarfraz khan has amazing test stats, and amazing list A stats and in international so far has a 50 avg. He's poor in t20 and the issue is he's playing in a country where competiton is too high.

Azam Khan's bhoota is not even worth mentioning in the same lime light. LMAO at azam Khan ever playing test. Ireland game was fine, you're in fir a rude awakening if this bozo is our keeper in the world cup.

Sarfraz khan has amazing test stats, and amazing list A stats and in international so far has a 50 avg. He's poor in t20 and the issue is he's playing in a country where competiton is too high.

Azam Khan's bhoota is not even worth mentioning in the same lime light. LMAO at azam Khan ever playing test. Ireland game was fine, you're in fir a rude awakening if this bozo is our keeper in the world cup.
Until Sarfraz can show he can do it in a spring night on Irish soil he isn't good enough to even unwrap Azams chocolate bars.

Until Sarfraz can show he can do it in a spring night on Irish soil he isn't good enough to even unwrap Azams chocolate bars.
Sarfraz khan would murk this unit. You're really pushing it.

These pacers are 115kph pacers with boundaries barely reach 60 meters?

Pakistan being poor and struggling doesn't mean azam Khan didnsonething special.

Sarfraz khan is a better test batsmen to babar by miles. In LIST A he's not better then babar but he's his left foot is far superior in all formats to azam.

Sarfraz khan would murk this unit. You're really pushing it.

These pacers are 115kph pacers with boundaries barely reach 60 meters?

Pakistan being poor and struggling doesn't mean azam Khan didnsonething special.

Sarfraz khan is a better test batsmen to babar by miles. In LIST A he's not better then babar but he's his left foot is far superior in all formats to azam.
You and topdim make a good friendship team.

You and topdim make a good friendship team.
Sarfraz Khan stats

3 tests: 50 Avg, 79 Sr
FC: 68 avg 78 SR
List A: 34 avg 94SR
T20: 22 Avg 128 SR

He's only been poor in t20 and been stunning in international test. Meanwhile

Azam Khan

T20 international: 8Avg 135 SR
FC: 28 Avg 76 SR
List A: 29 Avg 115 SR
T20: 25 avg 148 SR

Azam only has a better t20 avg and sr but that's also because standards of IPL are higher then standards of any other league with the most money and most international players?

On what basis does this tell you that Azam is better then sarfraz? Especially considering his 8Avg in international with 11 games now?

Sarfraz Khan stats

3 tests: 50 Avg, 79 Sr
FC: 68 avg 78 SR
List A: 34 avg 94SR
T20: 22 Avg 128 SR

He's only been poor in t20 and been stunning in international test. Meanwhile

Azam Khan

T20 international: 8Avg 135 SR
FC: 28 Avg 76 SR
List A: 29 Avg 115 SR
T20: 25 avg 148 SR

Azam only has a better t20 avg and sr but that's also because standards of IPL are higher then standards of any other league with the most money and most international players?

On what basis does this tell you that Azam is better then sarfraz? Especially considering his 8Avg in international with 11 games now?
I've already outlined the basis.

Based on his performance in cricket nations - including Karachi which is a "cricket nation" as termed by you.

I've already outlined the basis.

Based on his performance in cricket nations - including Karachi which is a "cricket nation" as termed by you.
What performance in cricket nations? Which league are you referring to and which year of said league?

Back