Bangladesh asks Pakistan to apologise for 1971 genocide

Well...

I guess an apology will come the day Turkey apologies to Armenia and United States and Israel apologies for what they have done.

In other words;

Its Never gonna happen.

Now dont bash me,

Im just stating the obvious,

No country would issue and apology like I earlier mentioned in this thread.

I would suggest you read up a bit more in details about the war and this period. Since this is also a part of your own country's history, its good to know. Because you seem to have no clue about this topic. Then you might be able to add much more to the thread

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest you read up a bit more in details about the war and this period. Since this is also a part of your own country's history, its good to know. Because you seem to have no clue about this topic. Then you might be able to add much more to the thread

Edit:

I guess so.

Never been so much into this topic so I should have read a bit more I guess.

Last edited:
LOL!!!! :D

please read the history books before typing whatever jibbrish come to mind....

First of all. Its gibberish *grammar
No its not a gibberish. What is gibberish is overly exaggerated claims made by BD

First of all. Its gibberish *grammar
No its not a gibberish. What is gibberish is overly exaggerated claims made by BD

it is bangladesh not BD!!! :p
Bottom line.....its a forum....

Anyways actual numbers aside the fact still remains that your army murdered and raped a massive amount of innocent people.....

it is bangladesh not BD!!! :p
Bottom line.....its a forum....

Anyways actual numbers aside the fact still remains that your army murdered and raped a massive amount of innocent people.....

Yes and the Mukhti banni handed out roses??

Why don't you first take the bold step of asking your country man to apologies for the atrocities committed against the Pakistani Patriots in the rebellion of 1971 before demanding one from Pakistan.

This only becomes an issue when you have the Indian sell outs in Bangladesh and their sycophants come to power

Last edited:

If you want an apology than go ask those responsible for it (i.e. the political leaders and army/ISI generals), not random people who have no knowledge about the issue or or who have absolutely no connection to what happened.

Be forewarned though, after 40 years if you still haven't realized it yet, PPP and ISI/Pak Army will continue to brush the issue aside. You're just wasting time and energy trying to get corrupt people to come to mutual terms with you.

Last edited:
If someone says that Bangladeshis or Bengalis masquareded as Pakistani Army and killed people.Let me tell you this,they will never be able to speak in URDU/PUNJABI the way Pakistanis speak.I know this from people who have told me their 1st hand account of these events.

Why don't you first take the bold step of asking your country man to apologies for the atrocities committed against the Pakistani Patriots in the rebellion of 1971 before demanding one from Pakistan.

This only becomes an issue when you have the Indian sell outs in Bangladesh and their sycophants come to power

Indian sell outs.Yes ofcourse.Pakistani patriots?You mean who killed people because they didnt speak Urdu,ate fish and looked a bit darker?

Why was Mujib not allowed to be the PM despite having the majority?

Do you know that East Pakistan had more than 50% of population/area/income of the whole Pakistan yet they were being suppressed.

What was OP searchlight doing?

Pakistani Patriots indeed.

If someone says that Bangladeshis or Bengalis masquareded as Pakistani Army and killed people.Let me tell you this,they will never be able to speak in URDU/PUNJABI the way Pakistanis speak.I know this from people who have told me their 1st hand account of these events.

I am not saying anything regarding the topic, but minor correction:

Many Bangladeshis lived in West Pakistan (in Karachi) - some of them even had kids who were born and educated in West Pakistan.

I myself know of some East Pakistani people who moved to West Pakistan before 1971 and they can speak urdu just like any Karachi's Muhajjir. And no, they are not Bihari - they are thoroughly ethnic Bengali.

I am not saying anything regarding the topic, but minor correction:

Many Bangladeshis lived in West Pakistan (in Karachi) - some of them even had kids who were born and educated in West Pakistan.

I myself know of some East Pakistani people who moved to West Pakistan before 1971 and they can speak urdu just like any Karachi's Muhajjir. And no, they are not Bihari - they are thoroughly ethnic Bengali.

Bhai

It is very easy for us Bengalis to decipher the tone of a bengali when he speaks another language.As i say i have heard this from people who have first hand experience.People whose families were killed.People who ran away and saved their life by the skin of their teeth.

Bhai

It is very easy for us Bengalis to decipher the tone of a bengali when he speaks another language.As i say i have heard this from people who have first hand experience.People whose families were killed.People who ran away and saved their life by the skin of their teeth.

Ah, yes, I can understand your point.

At the end of the day, my 2 cents worth regarding this situation:

I. Pakistanis are muslims, Bangladeshis are muslims.

II. Allah has commanded us to live in peace and harmony not only amongst muslims only, but with every other person.

III. What happened in 1971 is extremely tragic. Regardless what the 'numbers' are and what the 'other side' did.

IV. Personally, I feel Bangladesh are right to demand an apology. It is Bangladeshis's big heart that despite the war, they are still close friend of Pakistan.

V. It is good to see Pakistani Government and Pakistani businessmen help out Bangladesh after 1971.

VI. Pakistan should apologize AND ask for forgiveness - this measures to nothing when compared to the pain Bangladeshi victims feel, but it is a start. Moreover, a honest, transparent, and speedy justice should be delivered by Pakistani courts to punish any remaining soldiers or armed forces members who were directly/indirectly involved in killing the innocent or in raping.

VII. Compensation should be paid pre-emptively by Pakistan to Bangladeshi victims. This is necessary. Pakistan can easily give each affected Bangladeshi family $10,000. I wish we were richer to give more but at least this is amount Pakistan can realistically give.

VIII. Pakistan should pledge to develop special commercial and military ties with Bangladesh which are fair for both nations. This would compensate for initial loses (infrastructure, economic) inherited by Bangladeshi Government.

Finally, Pakistani Justice should declare that Mujib was the rightful winner of the election and that PPP was wrong. PPP should be held accountable for this - perhaps sue PPP for $1 billion.

I think this issue is unnecessarily made complicated by Pakistan to protect PPP, Zulfiqar Bhutto and few of Army's generals. Pakistan should have gotten over this back in 1970s.

If you're talking about Bloody Sunday, eventually they did. David Cameron intentionally made it the very first thing he did during his premiership.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10320609

Doesn't excuse the disgraceful events, which amounted to a genuine war crime. And doesn't apologise for other incidents of English-on-Irish discrimination and violence. But still. Better than nothing. In fact still one of the better things Cameron has done :))
I was thinking a bit further back in history than Bloody Sunday - a few decades further back I would say vis-a-vis Churchill & Black and Tans, or even a few hundred years further back still during the time of Cromwell.

There was not a single Mukti Bahini men before Pakistan attacked the innocent civilians of Bangladesh. Mukti Bahini were men who decided not to sit back and watch bengalis getting murdered raped and humiliated... And they made sure of that.....

So rebels in Kashmir and Afghanistan are Freedom fighters but Mukti Bahini were terrorists ? ... What double standards !!!

So rebels in Kashmir and Afghanistan are Freedom fighters but Mukti Bahini were terrorists ? ... What double standards !!!

:facepalm:

Kashmiris are fighting for a DISPUTED territory (their own homeland)

Afghans are fighting against foreign imperialist NATO

while Mukti Bahini were fighting their own gov't/army

No idea what u mean there....

but anyways, it is fine, do not learn from history and do not recognise the mistakes.... you will only end up making the same mistakes again as a result...
Good luck...

What I meant was, Pakistan has probably already gone too far in attempting to apologise for misdemeanors committed nearly half a century ago with little sign of reciprocation from your side, or any grace in accepting the gesture. We have bigger issues far closer to home to deal with. So do you by the looks of things.

Kashmir , atleast on paper is an integral part of India , so whichever people are fighting , they are fighting against their own Government . Just because some Pakistanis think otherwise , doesnt make Kashmir part of some Lala-land

And isnt NATO in agreement with ANA along with so called puppet Head of the Government Karzai ? Again its the case of fighting against the Government and its ally whichever way you may twist it .

Kashmir , atleast on paper is an integral part of India , so whichever people are fighting , they are fighting against their own Government . Just because some Pakistanis think otherwise , doesnt make Kashmir part of some Lala-land

And isnt NATO in agreement with ANA along with so called puppet Head of the Government Karzai ? Again its the case of fighting against the Government and its ally whichever way you may twist it .

From a satirical article but holds true...
US-UN shall intervene in Burma to stop killings of Muslims…but Nato and US intervention in Afghanistan is against international law and sovereignty of a nation state - Sabir Nazar

The above is the school of thought pervelant amongst most Pakistanis unfortunately...

http://dawn.com/2012/10/31/principle-standpoints-in-al-bakistan-ii/

does-an-apology-mean-sorry.jpg

It's in fact an interesting question, East Pakistan being then part of Pakistan would you agree that the JKLF of the 90s (when it still supported violence) for instance was as legitimate as the Mukti Bahini ?
And that the Kashmiri Pandits were just "collateral damages necessary in a freedom struggle" like the Biharis ?

Not according to UN, its not disputed land. And I can understand Kashmiris fighting for their rights but what about the terrorists from Pakistan fighting there?

Not according to UN, its not disputed land. And I can understand Kashmiris fighting for their rights but what about the terrorists from Pakistan fighting there?

Took a look at the map on UN website, and

Dotted line represents approximately the Line of Control
in Jammu and Kashmir agreed upon by India and Pakistan.
The final status of Jammu and Kashmir has not been agreed
upon by the parties.
The boundaries and names shown on this map do not imply
official endorsement or acceptance by the United Nations.

Yes, Pakistan's terrorists shoudln't help Kashmiris, but what about India helping Mukti Bahini by setting up training camps inside India to help the (then) "freedom fighters" ?
Replace Lt. Gen. (R) JFR Jacob by some "Lt. Gen. (R) x Khan", "Indira Gandhi" by some Pak PM/official and Mukti Bahini by "JKLF" and you'll get the idea

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EMHi1hpJqsg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bumping a controversial thread here :

Flashback: Memories of the East
dr-fatema-hassan-670.jpg

The memories of East Pakistan’s dark period are vividly etched in her mind even today, though more than 40 years have passed. Dr Fatema Hassan, writer, poet and teacher, has turned her negative experiences into positive energy through sheer hard work and motivation, achieving her goals in life and making a niche in the literary world.

Her mother’s family migrated to East Pakistan from Kolkata (then Calcutta) after partition, but her mother came to Karachi after marriage where Hassan was born. When Hasan was seven years old her father took early retirement from the army and resettled in Dhaka . “Life was happy and uneventful but things began to change in the late 60s. The Bengali people never showed any hatred or dislike for non-Bengali speaking residents and we all used to intermingle and lived in harmony when I was in college; there were no problems at all.”

Hassan emphasises that it was a political party and the army that changed the mood of the Bengali people, and later the Bengalis began to feel the deprivations they faced in their own land perpetuated by those who belonged to the other wing. Otherwise they never thought of seceding. Even after the fall of Dhaka, there were Bengalis who loved Pakistan. “Sheikh Mujeebur Rehman before the fall said Pakistan Zindabad in his speech. It was the behaviour of the West Pakistani politicians that caused the break-up. Didn’t the leaders realise the developing situation? Our biggest tragedy was and is that we didn’t have good leaders to run the country. Today we are on the brink of disaster because of this.”

Her maternal uncle was a barrister who later became the attorney general of Bangladesh, and when the situation started to deteriorate, the family shifted to his house and lived their for a year after the fall of Dhaka. “But things became so bad that we had to leave. Coming to Karachi was not easy, we first went to India and then Nepal and from there to Pakistan. My uncle was influential that is why we got to these places in safety.

“Being accepted was not much of a problem, especially for us as we were Urdu speaking and our relatives lived here. Even otherwise most people felt welcomed at that time. The heartbreak of leaving a land I loved and had lived almost all my life in was terrible, but I found a place that I felt a part of immediately as it spoke my language and had the flag that was taken away from me there. I love Pakistan with all my being now.”

Having lived a life of luxury and protection, once in Karachi the family saw difficult times. Her father was the only earning member and it was very difficult to make ends meet. Hassan, the eldest of seven siblings, was an Urdu literature student in Dhaka and couldn’t get admission in the university as she came after admissions had closed; thus she ended up giving her BA exam as a private student. She did her MA in journalism and also worked to support her family.

As she used to write for Urdu magazines in Dhaka, Hassan continued writing here and joined a circle of young writers and poets which included Parveen Shakir, Sarwat Hussain, Ayub Khawar, Azra Abbas and Shahida Hasan. She participated in Radio Pakistan’s Bazme Talaba programmes, earning money through them, and also undertook copywriting for an ad agency during this period. “I had to put up a brave front as it was very difficult to keep up the pretence of everything being okay when actually everything was too bleak. The producers of Bazme Talaba gave me programmes and guided me, understanding my plight. People like Qamar Jameel, Zamir Ali and Ismet Zehra proved to be my mentors at the radio station.”

Radio Pakistan turned out to be a treasure trove for Hassan as there she met famous writers, such as Intezar Hussain, Dr Ahsan Farooqui and Munir Niazi, who became lifelong friends and caring elders. In 1977, soon after completing her MA, she got a job as assistant editor publications in the Sindh information department, and a few years later became the information officer for films. “In 1983, I was appointed deputy director, public relations training and research, of Sindh Employees Social Security Institution (Sessi) and became the director there later on. In between I was on deputation for katchi abaadi authorities as deputy director monitoring and public relations working for Unicef projects as coordinator. I retired in May 2012 from Sessi. Since public relations was my favourite subject and being in this profession for 40 years I chose the subject to teach in a private university as well as Karachi University.”

Hassan emphasises that the modernity that came with education in Bengal is lacking here as there is no depth in outlook, perhaps because the standard of education is not as high as it was in East Pakistan. As a teacher she sees her students lagging behind in knowledge when compared to other countries such as Iran, India, Bangladesh and
Sri Lanka.

She had dreamt of doing her Ph.D. a long time ago and after all her sisters had been married she took a year’s leave without pay and completed her thesis. “I chose a very unusual and, in my view an important, topic: the first poetess of the subcontinent, Zahida Khatoon Sherwani (1894-1922) who was published in Urdu magazines and newspapers in her time. As she could not reveal her identity she used her initials Zay Khay Sheen.”

Hassan’s first collection of poetry Behtay huay phool was published in 1977 which reflects a period of unrest and problems that she faced after leaving East Pakistan. Her second collection was published in 1993 when she was married and is very different from her first book, reflecting a very settled and happy period as her husband was very supportive and caring. Her third book, a collection of short stories, came out in 2000 and focuses on feminine consciousness.

Hassan feels very strongly about gender inequality. In 1975, at the age of 22, she wrote a poem about a woman who wanted to be protected by her daughter rather than her husband. “The rise of fundamentalism in society is alarming and the situation of women is becoming worse, depriving them of education and their rights.” During the earthquakes in Kashmir and Ziarat and the floods in Sindh, she went to help the women there and was much disturbed by the attitude of the men towards the women.

They weren’t bothered about their feelings and what the women were going through physically. “It is sad and alarming at the same time. What happens if there is a war or a natural calamity and being uneducated what will they do when they find themselves alone?” Being an educationist now, her focus on this aspect has increased.

Hassan had never imagined leaving East Pakistan as her roots were firmly entrenched there. Whenever there is unrest here it takes her back to that traumatic period.
“One night we had everything, the next morning everything was taken from us, our home, identity and belongings. We were at risk in our own home, experiencing an alien atmosphere all of a sudden. We need to take care of this country as I have experienced the terrible feeling of emptiness when East Pakistan was taken away from us. I feel for the Baloch, Seraiki and Hazara people and the minority communities when they go through bad times. The situation in Balochistan, today, is similar to that of East Pakistan. Unfortunately, we have not learnt from that terrible lesson.”

But Hassan feels that the experiences that she has faced have helped tremendously in bringing out feelings in her poetry. She proudly states that she has never bowed down to adversity and thus become a strong person and this is reflected in her poetry. “My aesthetic sense is also strong due to my upbringing in Bengal.”

Today Hassan’s focus is on education but she continues to write poetry with just as much vigour and enthusiasm as she did in the past, saying it is her lifeline.

http://dawn.com/2013/04/28/flashback-memories-of-the-east/

did the americans apologise to the native indians? did the Aussies apologise to the aborigines?

I know this post was a couple of years ago, but I wanted to say that Australia did apologise to the Aborigines.

Australia apology to Aborigines

The Australian government has made a formal apology for the past wrongs caused by successive governments on the indigenous Aboriginal population.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd apologised in parliament to all Aborigines for laws and policies that "inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss".

He singled out the "Stolen Generations" of thousands of children forcibly removed from their families.

The apology, beamed live around the country on TV, was met with cheers.

But some Aborigines say it should have been accompanied with compensation for their suffering.

In a motion passed unanimously by Australian MPs on Wednesday morning, Mr Rudd acknowledged the "past mistreatment" of all of his country's Aboriginal population.

"We apologise for the laws and policies of successive parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss on these our fellow Australians," the motion said.

Mr Rudd said he apologised "especially" to the Stolen Generations of young Aboriginal children who were taken from their parents in a policy of assimilation which lasted from the 19th Century to the late 1960s.

"For the indignity and degradation thus inflicted on a proud people and a proud culture, we say sorry."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7241965.stm

First Bangladesh needs to apologize for murdering and raping, non-Bangla citizens, called Biharis. The Rakshmi Bahini and the Mukti Bahani need to apologize about the acts committed by these terrorist organizations in the aftermath of
dec. 1971.

What Pakistan mite've done in 1971, Indian armed forces BSF and CRPF is committing these acts till today to suppress and demoralize the freedom struggles continuing in the Northeast as well as Kashmir.
To mention the vigilante violence against Bangladeshi migrants in Assam and surrounding states.

This is just the treachery of our media [working for a foreign agenda] just to demoralize and demean Pakistani people. Also with the bonds Pakistan share with Bangladeshis, the segment that is highlighting this issue is on a foreign agenda to drive a wedge between the people, they themselves don't care less Bangladesh continue to have relations with Pakistan.

They know Pakistan will maintain silence diplomatically, but this will be used to drive people of Pakistan away from the atrocities being committed against religious Bangladeshis on the name of false jingoism, the motijheel massacre and the crackdowns thar r being committed in the name of Jamaat across Bangladesh, where the party perpatrating violence is Jamaat, and the party which has most people murdered is also jamaat.

All the media with pro-opposition has been shut down. Only pro-govt. media remains. jamaat r being treated like communists of the 50s. And an operation is underway there to silence whatever criticism exists to hide their corruption, either thru jingoism of Shahbagh or thru acts of violence committed by the terrorist atheist Mukti Bahini and being blamed on the local religious centers in those areas.

These calls r from a third world country living in a bubble and trying to go after Jamaat, they won't affect us. What is needed is to use this opportunity to ask the Bangla authoritiies to speak out on what happenned to the non-Bangla missing persons whose status is still a mystery. Bangladesh denied entry to Bangla speaking citizens in 1972, and the stranded Biharis with no legal status living in camp slums awaiting their fate since long.

You quoted Mush where his statement said "regret" and you posted it as apology from Pakistan.

So, in that logic Salala case's "regret" from USA should also be considered as apology.

Do you agree?

and No, their regret was not accepted as apology and the supply lines were closed for many months. Sorry my friend, we also follow news.

Yeah, you twist and distort to fulfill your agenda, no two ways about it, why are you so harping into a Bangla discussion. Selective news...

America knew that Genocide was taking place in Bangladesh, but did nothing: http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/03/26/gary-j-bass-nixon-knew-of-the-massacre-in-bangladesh/

This line made me sad : “The story of East Bengal will surely be written as one of the greatest nightmares of modern times,” declared Edward Kennedy, who led the outcry in the Senate. But in the depths of the Cold War, Nixon and Kissinger were unyielding in their support for Pakistan.

^ I thank God, I stopped supporting our army. how can I support an army which does this to our own muslim brothers? All the armies of the muslim world are kaafir/secular armies, look what Egyptian army has done to Egyptians. I would never support any of them. I am not evil man. To me all humans are equal.

Last edited:
A dark, dark part of our history. I am truly ashamed over this, they will surely pay for their sins.

Having said that, most of the masterminds behind that are probably dead. Lets try to move on.

Last edited:
If Pakistan have not, they should.

I don't buy the "But hey they didn't apologize and xyz didn't do that"

What Pakistan mite've done in 1971, Indian armed forces BSF and CRPF is committing these acts till today to suppress and demoralize the freedom struggles continuing in the Northeast as well as Kashmir.

So because india is doing it now that means Pakistan is absolved from guilt?

I like your line of logic!

Oh yeah, and of course, everything is meant to demean Pakistanis. We are the world's most "bechari qoum".

A dark, dark part of our history. I am truly ashamed over this, they will surely pay for their sins.

Having said that, most of the masterminds behind that are probably dead. Lets try to move on.

They may be dead, however that culture of army worship in pakistan still continues, and I can bet same kind of geneocide can easily happen again

There are still people who view bengalis as some kind of inferior race, despite their country doing better then Pakistan

On my facebook page there were some people (punjabi nationalistic pakistanis mostly) who were calling Bengalis all the worst racial things, during the recent Pakistan vs Bangladesh Asia cup match. I actually had a fight with couple of them and showed them articles of what their great army did

Indeed, he threatened to break the legs of any PPP members who turned up at the inaugural session of the National Assembly when the Awami League won the elections in 1970.

Ayub Khan also treated Bengalis as backward savages, the Pakistani general/military establishment of the time thought of Bengalis as racially inferior.

Well their behavior does not show them in the best light ever does it? Also genocide claims are completely over blown. Most likely 100,000 were killed not 3 million.

Think about it. It took Nazis 6 years to kill 6 million people with all their infrastructure for killing and the Pak Army killed 3 million in such a shot period. Sorry not possible.

Bangladesh is not a friendly country and we should learn this by now.

They may be dead, however that culture of army worship in pakistan still continues, and I can bet same kind of geneocide can easily happen again

There are still people who view bengalis as some kind of inferior race, despite their country doing better then Pakistan

On my facebook page there were some people (punjabi nationalistic pakistanis mostly) who were calling Benga
lis all the worst racial things, during the recent Pakistan vs Bangladesh Asia cup match. I actually had a fight with couple of them and showed them articles of what their great army did

To be honest you need to get over self hating being Pakistani.

On my facebook page there were some people (punjabi nationalistic pakistanis mostly) who were calling Bengalis all the worst racial things, during the recent Pakistan vs Bangladesh Asia cup match. I actually had a fight with couple of them and showed them articles of what their great army did

People respect the army because it is one of the best in the world but most if not all Pakistanis agree that the army was horrid when it did this.

Well their behavior does not show them in the best light ever does it? Also genocide claims are completely over blown. Most likely 100,000 were killed not 3 million.

Think about it. It took Nazis 6 years to kill 6 million people with all their infrastructure for killing and the Pak Army killed 3 million in such a shot period. Sorry not possible.

Do you think the Bangladeshis are inflating the real figure by 30 times ?

Independent research says it was 500,000 to a million. and genocide is a genocide

To be honest you need to get over self hating being Pakistani.

so you want me to be proud because of what our great army did. No thanks. I have to answer to God one day. For you it is no problem, since you worship the army, not god

People respect the army because it is one of the best in the world but most if not all Pakistanis agree that the army was horrid when it did this.

even Nazi Germany had one of the best armies, but does that mean we have to worship them?

The question here is not about the best, but good and evil. Pakistan army, like all other muslim armies is certainly evil. It is a creation of British. Any sane truthful person will admit this

so you want me to be proud because of what our great army did. No thanks. I have to answer to God one day. For you it is no problem, since you worship the army, not god

woah ease up buddy. He may be a lot closer to God than you think you are. Accusing him of not worshiping God really tells us how pious you are.

Do you think the Bangladeshis are inflating the real figure by 30 times ?

In order to minimize the importance of the event and its consequence, him and the likes of him has taken up the mantle to dismiss the actual history. Probably helps them sleep better at night knowing everything is a propaganda.

So much for 'Islamic republic' of pakistan lol, Can't even look after it's fellow muslims.

If the Pakistan government do not have the moral courage to apologise to their Bangladeshi brethren - and make suitable financial reparations- then the people of Pakistan should say: We are sorry for your suffering. And we are with you in your fight for justice, truth, reconciliation and peace.

Whatever the Pakistan govt and army did, they did not do it in my name - they did it in the name of national interests: I am sorry my Bengali brothers and sisters suffered at the hands of their so-called Pakistani/Muslim compatriots and co-religionists.

I am also sorry each time Muslims suffer at the hands of their own governments and compatriots.

In order to minimize the importance of the event and its consequence, him and the likes of him has taken up the mantle to dismiss the actual history. Probably helps them sleep better at night knowing everything is a propaganda.

I think it has something to do with the version of history that is being taught to the populace. From reading the comments on various online forums and limited interaction , I am getting the impression that the atrocities of 1971 have been massively brushed under the carpet in Pakistan.

You can read all sorts of comments from calling the " Mukti Bahini as terrorists " to " it was just a evil Hindi conspiracy to divide the brothers ".

Some even say that Arrogant Bengalis were the first to ignite the fire because they wont speak our shweet URDU.

Look I really don't know if it was a genocide or not as its impossible to independently verify the numbers. Therefore I prefer not to get dragged into a numbers debate - nobody can possibly know the full extent of the violence.

Instead of this never-ending debate on was it or was it not a genocide, the debate I think should focus on the fact that our own Army helped to break the country in half with the assistance of the so-called 'Islamic Socialist' Zulfikar Ali Bhutto.

The High Command was low on IQ but high in brutality (and drink if you want to count Yahya Khan). General Niazi threatened that he would let loose his soldiers on the women of East Pakistan till the lineage/ethnicity of the Bengali race was changed.

There were wrongs committed by the Pak Army dating back even well before 1971. The mismanagement of the Cyclone relief effort was the last straw for many and led to the eventual Awami League victory in the elections. Over 3.6 million people were directly affected. Most estimates suggest that half a million died; some suggest as many as one million perished. Nearly 85 per cent of the area was destroyed.

We also cannot forget the role of the politicians in all this. Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto conspired to retain power through the Legal Framework Order at the expense of Mujibur Rehman who won the 1970 elections. The Order was kept vague to make sure a deadlock can be achieved in the assemblies and hence weaken Mujib's power. This unprincipled act was the first of many such acts by Bhutto. It was instrumental in antagonising the East Pakistanis. Chairman Mao's mini-me also made the now infamous comments 'Hum yahan tum wahan'. Both the Army and civilian government brought about the breakup of the country in 1971, and it all could've been avoided had the East Pakistanis been given their due rights.

But of course, the lessons will never be learnt. Forced disappearances and extra-judicial killings have become the hallmarks of the security services' Balochistan policy. Thanks to all these self-inflicted wounds, the prospect of another '1971' remains.

So have Pakistan apologised then?

One reason why our own country is struggling is because we have been cursed by over 4 thousand innocent ladies who were raped and tortured to death. Some documentaries of victims I have seen is truly sickening. Shame on the army and this one of many reasons why I don't regard the army as a high status as many citizens in Pakistan do.

There was one victim who said that not only was she raped constantly at concentration camps but also totured. For instance, when she was thirsty, they would forcefully make her drink urine from coconut shells. Absolutely sickening, shame on the army of 1970s.

i guess we should apologise tbh. We did some pretty messed up stuff back in the day.

Pak "Threatens" Hindu American Body For Exposing 1971 Genocide In Bangladesh

The Hindu American Foundation said it has received a communication from Pakistan's Telecommunication Authority Web Analysis Division, demanding that it take down the "Bengali Hindu Genocide" web page

A prominent Hindu American advocacy group alleged on Thursday that it has been threatened by Pakistan for recently launching a website exposing the role of the Pakistan Army in the 1971 genocide in Bangladesh.
The Hindu American Foundation (HAF) said it has received a communication from Pakistan's Telecommunication Authority (PTA) Web Analysis Division, demanding that it take down the "Bengali Hindu Genocide" web page, which captures a variety of perspectives on the genocidal actions of then West Pakistan's (now modern Pakistan) military, "within (24) hours".

The letter also states that the government of Pakistan will "remove or block" access to HAF's "Bengali Hindu Genocide" web page in Pakistan. This nearly-10-month genocidal campaign left two-three million people dead, 200,000-400,000 women raped and more than 10 million people displaced -- a majority of whom were Hindus, the HAF said in a statement.

"Your website is involved in dissemination of content with intent to ridicule, defame the Armed Forces of Pakistan in order to provoke anti-state sentiments, cause disharmony, feelings of enmity among masses at large, which is prejudicial to the integrity, sovereignty and security of Pakistan," said the communication from Pakistan.

The HAF has refused to take down the site.

ICYMI: This is the website, commemorating the 1971 Bengal Hindu genocide, that so offended the Govt. of Pakistan that they blocked the website and threatened to fine HAF.
- Hindu American Foundation

"The government of Pakistan's feeble attempt to threaten and intimidate a respected American non-profit organisation is just the latest example of its anti-American, anti-Hindu acts," stated Deepali Kulkarni, HAF director of human rights.

"The Islamic Republic of Pakistan has a proven track record of killing, forcibly converting or driving out Hindus, Christians, Ahmaddiya Muslims and other religious minorities in Pakistan, and now it appears that it is going after these same religious minorities in other countries, too," Kulkarni said.

The HAF said its website has been blocked for viewers in Pakistan.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/pakistan-threatens-hindu-american-body-for-exposing-1971-genocide-in-bangladesh-2450908

Back