Bangladesh vs Ireland | 2nd ODI | Mirpur | 20/03/2008

Matic

Local Club Star
Runs
For those who care,

2nd One-Day International between Bangladesh and Ireland. Bangladesh won the 1st ODI comfortably and are off to a positive start as the Bangali openers are still in past the 20 over mark with 74 on the board.

Nafees and Tamim the batsmen in the middle.

PlanetPakistan said:
Solid performance from BAN.
TF,
Where is Rasel?

Yah, batting second - 247 runs in Mirpur's(Dhaka) slow wicket would be a very tough task for IRE and it's very warm for the Irish too........but it's cricket and Ireland beat us in last WC!!

Rasel- He is the most economical fast medium bowler for BD in odi's but our new coach and captain ashraful have a different idea, now for last few games (against SA too) we are playing with only one quick bowler Mashrafee and Farhad - batting all rounder who can bowl around 130km. and funny thing - opening the bowling with Mash and Razzak- SLA. So for all this- Rasel is out of the team, so far the new technique works well but I doubt it will work with Pakistan! Like most of the fan I want Rasel into the ODI team asap.

Last edited:
So they want to open the bowling against us with a spinner ?

I hope naser jamshed opens and lofts a few over the top then :)

pakistani pride said:

probably we won't...better not be :)

Ireland require another 195 runs with 7 wickets and 37.0 overs remaining

Last edited:
Ireland Run: 102/ 5 Overs: 26.0
Ireland require another 145 runs with 5 wickets and 24.0 overs remaining
Ireland RR 3.92
Required RR 6.04
Bangladesh RR 4.92

Ireland 147/8 (35.2 ov)
Ireland require another 100 runs with 2 wickets and 14.4 overs remaining

well i expect our batsmen to attack them and score some huge runs. looking forward to see naser jamshed bat at the top of the order ( he is quite agressive ) should be nice.

TigersFan said:
Yah, batting second - 247 runs in Mirpur's(Dhaka) slow wicket would be a very tough task for IRE and it's very warm for the Irish too........but it's cricket and Ireland beat us in last WC!!

Rasel- He is the most economical fast medium bowler for BD in odi's but our new coach and captain ashraful have a different idea, now for last few games (against SA too) we are playing with only one quick bowler Mashrafee and Farhad - batting all rounder who can bowl around 130km. and funny thing - opening the bowling with Mash and Razzak- SLA. So for all this- Rasel is out of the team, so far the new technique works well but I doubt it will work with Pakistan! Like most of the fan I want Rasel into the ODI team asap.

just a slight correction: rasel is a medium fast bowler, not fast medium. his average pace is 115-120 k whereas reza can hit 135.

but i would value rasel's ODI bowling as better than any other BD pacer. the selectors are doing some stupid things by dropping rasel after a tidy but wicketless 2 games against SA.

pakistani pride said:

Nope, in that case Saeed Anwar would come back from his retirement and score the 200 Runs along with Afridi.

TigersFan said:
Yeah they certainly need Rasel in the team. A bowling attack of Murtaza, Rasel, Shahdat, A Razzak, Saqib and Reza can (and probably will) trouble Pakistan

PlanetPakistan said:
Yeah they certainly need Rasel in the team. A bowling attack of Murtaza, Rasel, Shahdat, A Razzak, Saqib and Reza can (and probably will) trouble Pakistan

and that's always happen- our bowlers are doing great job most of the time but only our batsman can't pass that 200 border very often- and we lose a lot! But now the new coach Siddions make some team rules (kind of childish)and so far they are following it and did well against weaker opposition Ireland- hopefully they will stick to it!

quoting a daily dhaka local about team rules!
Bangladesh came up with a new term in their book, which is 'team rule'. And what they believe was that they failed to apply it during the last series against formidable South Africa but made use of it in the first game against Ireland on Tuesday.

"As per the team rule, only the first three batsmen can play shots freely, in other words, they can play over the top. But for the remaining batsmen, it is considered a crime, as they have to avoid any kind of risk.

"I followed it in the first game against Ireland and got the result. I believe we would be competitive against the top-ranked sides if we maintained this rule," Ashraful explained.

And that was the reason left-handed opener Tamim Iqbal and number three Aftab Ahmed were not blamed for their rushed shots in the first game.

"You can say we gave Tamim free license to play his natural game because of the rule," he said.

Chief selector Rafiqul Alam was also excited by the new method and he believed they will get some results if the players followed it religiously.

"The method (team's rule) was desperately needed against South Africa but it didn't happen. I am happy they at least followed it in the first game against Ireland. As much as we follow the rules, we will be more successful in the international cricket," said the former national player.

"I will be really happy if they maintain it in the remaining two games against Ireland," he added.

PlanetPakistan said:

It shouldn't. Mortaza was so highly rated people said he could make most teams but he has fallen away badly. Rasel and Shadat rely on L and L which shouldn't trouble any test playing nation. Its not really called spin if you are trying to fire it into the blockhole everytime.

Having said all that.Nasir Jamshed worries me with his hit everything for six approach and hopefully Butt returns to form. Misbah,Yousuf,Younis,Malik shouldn't have any sorts of problems with these bowlers and Afridi is hit and miss. Akmal/Sarfraz shouldn't even need to bat.

infamous9383 said:
It shouldn't. Mortaza was so highly rated people said he could make most teams but he has fallen away badly. Rasel and Shadat rely on L and L which shouldn't trouble any test playing nation. Its not really called spin if you are trying to fire it into the blockhole everytime.

Having said all that.Nasir Jamshed worries me with his hit everything for six approach and hopefully Butt returns to form. Misbah,Yousuf,Younis,Malik shouldn't have any sorts of problems with these bowlers and Afridi is hit and miss. Akmal/Sarfraz shouldn't even need to bat.

allmost going to reply your post but then it will not worth anything if our bowlers don't play their regular/normal game which is more than enough to trouble this Pakistan team....so I will wait until the series is over my friend :)

Back